Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Cutter Knox

Real Name Cutter Knox   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Cutter
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Get off my lawn!
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 7, 2006, 00:07
Total Comments 25624 (Jedi)
User ID 25394

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Torment Stretch Goal Changes
17. Re: Torment Stretch Goal Changes Jan 29, 2017, 17:37 Cutter

Jerykk wrote on Jan 29, 2017, 15:56:
People really need to learn what Kickstarter is. When you back a Kickstarter, you shouldn't treat it like pre-ordering a product or making an investment. Instead, you are essentially donating money to an idea. That's it. It's better to think of it like Patreon. If the idea comes to fruition, that's great but there are no guarantees. If you back a Kickstarter and expect that the release date and stretch goals are part of an ironclad contract, you've already missed the point.

People also need to learn how game development works. It isn't an exact science. Ideas that sound good on paper may not work so well in practice. Iteration leads to better games and during the process, things will be changed or cut for the better of the product as a whole. If you can't accept this, you shouldn't be Kickstarting games.

Wrong all the way around. It is in investment and the law comes down on that side of it, as it should. It's a contract, plain and simple. You offer me XYZ product and/or service for X amount of whatever it is you want, money, time, coconuts, etc. and that's a contract. And yes, it is ironclad. Point in fact, more and more DAs are prosecuting crowdfunders who fail to deliver on their obligations all the time. So, you really need to learn what contract law is.

No, the consumer doesn't need to learn how game development works anymore than they need to learn how to build an airplane in order to take a flight somewhere. That's not their responsibility. If the developer can't deliver on time and on budget than they're the one that clearly needs the education. Like everyone else in this world, don't make promises you can't keep.

If you the wife contract me to build an addition on to your home with a nice new veranda running around the house and pay me up front for it you're going to be pretty pissed if I don't deliver what was agreed upon, right? 'Well I know I took the money for everything but I only delivered half of what was promised because I don't know how to cost or budget time and money, but hey that's cool, right? I mean you guys don't a have a problem with that, yeah?'

Yeah, I'm sure you'd just say 'Oh sure, no problem at all. Here, in fact have more money for doing nothing!'

Rolleyes

Shootin' at the walls of heartache, bang, bang, I am the warrior! Yes I am the warrior and heart to heart you win if you survive!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
14. Re: Saturday Mobilization Jan 29, 2017, 12:58 Cutter

The QB is not god. He's limited by his team and coaching staff. That's why you see some guys flourish on certain teams and do poorly on others. It's an entire mix of elements. Every time the Packers play all you ever hear from the commentators, (ex) players, is how fucking awesome Rodgers is. Yeah, there haven been loads of good QBs but he's the Gretzky/Jordan of fgotball.

Shootin' at the walls of heartache, bang, bang, I am the warrior! Yes I am the warrior and heart to heart you win if you survive!

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
9. Re: Saturday Mobilization Jan 29, 2017, 01:14 Cutter

afka Rossini wrote on Jan 28, 2017, 19:00:
CJ_Parker wrote on Jan 28, 2017, 18:26:
Ah, yes. The greatest quarterback of all times. 49ers 4ever!!!
At least until next Sunday. As much as I hate to admit it, if Brady wins next week, he'll supplant Montana as number one.

Aaron Rodgers is currently the best QB there's ever been. Brady is up there I'll grant you but that's more about a rock solid team, coaching, and cheating. Yes, the cheating matters too. Had Rodgers ended up in Beantown they'd have never lost a Superbowl yet. Rodgers is it and it's not up for debate. There's a universal consensus on that by any honest football fan.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 28, 2017, 17:37 Cutter

Never gets old, Blue.

Bleh! Was always a big fan of John Hurt. Like him in pretty much everything. Fave roles of his were as the psychotic spy in The Osterman Weekend - that was just a really good flick all around, 1984, and The Hit - must see if you haven't seen it.

News Comments > etc., etc.
8. Re: etc., etc. Jan 28, 2017, 12:51 Cutter

Golly, what a surprise...said no one ever.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
10. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 28, 2017, 12:50 Cutter

jdreyer wrote on Jan 28, 2017, 10:32:
Heh, GWB is thankful, since Trump will make him look like FDR.

Yeah, really. Just when you think it couldn't get any worse than Shrrub. It's utterly amazing to see life imitating art. We're at the beginning of watching Idiocracy unfold in real-time. I think I'll contact Mike Judge and see if I can license Brawndo from him. I'm sure I could crowdfund that into a major success.

News Comments > Into the Black
1. Re: Into the Black Jan 27, 2017, 20:18 Cutter

That's a bitch. I'd imagine he was in the same situation as a lot of other guys like him. He lived pretty hard and fast, so by the time you're 70 it's just all pain and everything falling apart. How long can you stand it? Particularly when you know it's only going to keep getting worse. Life at any cost? No thanks. There's plenty worse things than dying.

News Comments > 25M Overwatch Players
15. Re: 25M Overwatch Players Jan 27, 2017, 18:54 Cutter

Seeing as there's never been any independent verification of Blizzard's numbers I've always taken them to be rather over-inflated too. There's not doubt they do a metric shit ton of sales, but I've always felt that's a lot more PR spin than reality. Sort of in the same way governments always spin down unemployment so it appears to be a lot less than it really is.

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Jan 27, 2017, 16:29 Cutter

Pigeon wrote on Jan 27, 2017, 14:30:
Isabellab spoke with fan site Raiders Tavern and defended his actions, saying they were retaliation for an alleged attack on Method's server, Tarren Mill. "Who was behind that, I don't know. I don't think it's directly Serenity, but more than fan base of Serenity," he says. "The downtime Serenity had was equal to the time lost for Method," so in Isabellab's view, blocking Serenity from raiding "did even out the race".

Just how pathetic people can be never ceases to amaze me; bonus points for trying to rationalize being a douche. I am more and more convinced schools need to start teaching emotional education; i.e. thoughts and feelings are not facts, people can't read your mind so don't hold them to expectations you've not told them about, your perception of events is but one of many.

They get that from bad parenting. That's why I've always said, and will continue to say, reproduction needs to be a state sanctioned event. You should have to prove you're emotionally and financially ready and secure enough to have a child - and yes, we need a one child policy. And there should be required ongoing classes over the main stages of their development.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
1. Re: Morning Interviews Jan 27, 2017, 16:18 Cutter

PDS.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 27, 2017, 13:12 Cutter

"Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines." - General Buck Turgidson

News Comments > Mass Effect Andromeda Trailers
17. Re: Mass Effect Andromeda Trailers Jan 27, 2017, 00:23 Cutter

Creston wrote on Jan 26, 2017, 23:01:
Cutter wrote on Jan 26, 2017, 20:56:
I was hoping some of the major pubs/devs would take a page from Witcher 3 to learn how to do a CRPG properly, but I guess not.

Well, first of this is helmed by Mac Walters, who is absolutely convinced he is the greatest gift to game development of all time, so yeah, fat chance of that.

That said, it's one thing to see the Witcher 3 and go "We need to make our game more awesome, like the Witcher 3" and another thing to be actually able to do it.

CDPR is blessed with some incredible writers who come up with just absolutely amazing storylines for their quests. I'm betting the large majority of other dev houses simply don't have writers of that caliber. The first sign of mediocre writers is how often they will fall back on tropes and just regurgitate what's come before.

It's not just the writing but overall design that shows real thinking outside the box. A real open-world CPRG, where as BiowarEA games are so closed in and linear, they only provide the illusion of size. Integrating side-quests in a way that make sense. Just a million little things no one has done before but a lot of old school gamers have been griping about for years. It's not rocket surgery, CDPR simply chose to listen and take that advice. The end result speaks for itself.

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Announced
20. Re: Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Announced Jan 27, 2017, 00:13 Cutter

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jan 26, 2017, 21:43:
Cutter wrote on Jan 26, 2017, 20:46:
Pillars of Eternity one of the highest-rated PC games of all time.

Yeah, in what universe is that a reality? PoE sucked.

Don't be bitter, PoEt was great for most people. :o

Sez who? Most of the opinions I've seen on the matter agree it sucks. Not terribly, but just in the meh bleh range. I've tried 3 or 4 times to get into and every time by the time I hit the city I'm just completely bored and uninstall it. And it was so good they should have made millions of sales and be able to easily self-finance this themselves, right? Um no.

There's just been a real lack of real quality classic CRPGs IMO. Divinity was bleh, Wasteland 2 bleh, Tyranny bleh, PoE bleh. Nothing comes remotely close to classics like FO1/FO2, et al. On the 3D front at least there was Witcher 3 and FO4/Skyrim to some extent. Mass Effect, et al. are all sorta of bleh too.

I want them to be as good, but they just aren't.

Edit: Oh yeah, fuck real-time combat with pause already. At least that's the one thing Divinity did right - along with FO1/2. Enh, I guess what I'd really like to see atm is a new NWN style game. Let me create my own modules and stories instead.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
4. Re: Evening Safety Dance Jan 26, 2017, 21:22 Cutter

Trump will hire foreign workers to staff Mar-a-Lago this winter

So much for putting Americans to work, eh Don?

News Comments > Mass Effect Andromeda Trailers
7. Re: Mass Effect Andromeda Trailers Jan 26, 2017, 20:56 Cutter

EA recycles all the content it can. And all of that looks so typically formulaic for their games. I was hoping some of the major pubs/devs would take a page from Witcher 3 to learn how to do a CRPG properly, but I guess not. Oh well, I'll pick it up in a year or two on a deep discount.

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Announced
9. Re: Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Announced Jan 26, 2017, 20:46 Cutter

Pillars of Eternity one of the highest-rated PC games of all time.

Yeah, in what universe is that a reality? PoE sucked.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 26, 2017, 11:21 Cutter

That's just sad that US scientists have to resort to this sort of nonsense everytime the GOP takes over.

News Comments > ACE COMBAT 7: Skies Unknown PC Announcement
2. Re: ACE COMBAT 7: Skies Unknown PC Announcement Jan 26, 2017, 11:04 Cutter

Smoke me a kipper, skipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
14. Re: Prey in May Jan 26, 2017, 09:44 Cutter

rawbelly wrote on Jan 26, 2017, 02:04:
ars is just clickbait anyway. THey write, "it's not clear exactly what kind of Android phone Trump uses" Yet discusses how unsecure it is. Like they have ANY clue how they have him set up.

I had a guy at work tell me today Trump should be in jail because he was SURE that he must have done shady business dealings in the past. Just chuck him right in. Everyone just assuming everything.

There are just too many pots calling too many kettles black these days.

We need an old abandoned Football stadium somewhere where masses of people can just show up and beat each other to death, gladiator style. Get it out of their systems.

Right, because critical thinking and reasoning is hard. Why use words or reason when people can just beat each other to death. Rolleyes

News Comments > Apocalypse Now - the Game Kickstarter
15. Re: Apocalypse Now - the Game Kickstarter Jan 26, 2017, 09:41 Cutter

jdreyer wrote on Jan 25, 2017, 23:58:
Cease and desist in 3..2..1.., oh wait, never mind.

1. This looks like a shot-for-shot remake of the film. So this is an adventure game?

2. Obviously this game is going to cost a lot more than $900K. So why do they need KS exactly?

3. Will this game be longer than the movie? From the desc it sounds like it could be pretty short.

Also, Francis stands to make money off of this, right? He and others must be entitled to royalties from this. So yeah, I could see why he'd promote it. It's a very poorly put together campaign full of a ton of vagaries all around. Sounds more like a bunch of suits dreamed up this idea as a way to make easy money with minimal effort. I wouldn't touch this with a Bell Huey UH-1 Iroquois.

25624 Comments. 1282 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo