Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Fort Collins, CO 03/24

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Cutter Knox

Real Name Cutter Knox   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Cutter
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Get off my lawn!
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 7, 2006, 00:07
Total Comments 25812 (Jedi)
User ID 25394

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
12. Re: Evening Metaverse Mar 3, 2017, 01:19 Cutter

Sepharo wrote on Mar 2, 2017, 22:57:
Cutter wrote on Mar 2, 2017, 22:48:
You know you're getting old when you keep hearing about these companies worth billions that you've never heard of or only ever vaguely heard of and have absolutely no idea what they do - much less how they make money,

It's nice to finally hear you admit that you're out of touch instead of insisting that a scam is afoot

Out of touch with what shallow, vacuous people are into, yes. I actually consider that a point of pride. Gosh, is it really true that over half the people you meet are of below average intelligence? Wry

"You wanna talk some jive? I'll talk some jive. I'll talk some jive like you've never heard!" - Royal
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: Into the Black Mar 2, 2017, 22:51 Cutter

How does a truck do an impression of a confederate general? How does it capture the gravitas of the battles of Antietam, Appomattox, et al?

"You wanna talk some jive? I'll talk some jive. I'll talk some jive like you've never heard!" - Royal

6. Re: Evening Metaverse Mar 2, 2017, 22:48 Cutter

You know you're getting old when you keep hearing about these companies worth billions that you've never heard of or only ever vaguely heard of and have absolutely no idea what they do - much less how they make money,  

News Comments > Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven Announced
1. Re: Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven Announced Mar 2, 2017, 20:21 Cutter

Jesus, Paradox is the only company in the world that makes games to go with its DLC.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 2, 2017, 14:51 Cutter

If Slick Willy could weasel out of diddling an intern Sessions isn't going anywhere. It's a Brave New World in America now. It's a whole new normal.

News Comments > System Shock Remake Gets Unreal
10. Re: System Shock Remake Gets Unreal Mar 2, 2017, 11:15 Cutter

Darks wrote on Mar 2, 2017, 10:19:
Just checked out that link dude, yea that game does look pretty impressive. I think the dev needs to update his FAQ, he stated 2015 was the intended release, but then it slipped to 2016. well we are now in 2017. any idea when hes going to finish the game? I'm interested in funding it, but I am curious when its really going to get completed.

I don't know. I grabbed it because I had a $5 credit on GOG I had to use up and had heard good things about it and liked the look of it. I only played it for an hour or two before I uninstalled it because I actually really enjoyed it and don't want to spoil anything. So I don' t really know when it's supposed to be done. I think it's actually just one or two guys and while the updates seem to be slow they at least seem to be steady. And the feedback on the whole is overwhelmingly positive. So yeah you can wait until it's done. Besides it's only like 15 Freedom dollars or so.

News Comments > AMD Ryzen Reviews
10. Re: AMD Ryzen Reviews Mar 2, 2017, 11:09 Cutter

Agent-Zero wrote on Mar 2, 2017, 10:55:
this series is not going to be a value for gamers and anybody with a clue already knew that

the real question for gamers is how the $259 6-core will compare to the $300 i5 model

however, if you use your PC for multimeda and creating graphics as well as gaming, that makes it way more complicated decision at that point because these new AMDs are clearly far ahead of intel on that, and for a much lower price... thats pretty interesting on its own for graphics people - trust me, cutting rendering times by any significant amount is a huuuuuge fucking deal

Yes it will. The performance isn't that bad and the CPUs will cost 1/4 of what Intel CPUs cost. Lastly it's wholly about optimization. The benchmarks so far are with games that have been optimized for Intel/Nvidia. As I already posted, AMD has already been addressing this for the past year for upcoming titles. So yeah, you'll get just as good, if not better performance for a lot of upcoming games for a 1/4 of the price. But if you want to waste your money on Intel that's your bidness.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 2, 2017, 10:13 Cutter

It was stormin' like Norman here last night. Goddamn blue boxes blew over so I had to go out and run down the street picking everything up as it was all scattered across the lawns of my neighbors three houses down. Yeah, that had me cursing under my breath like Yosemite Sam.

News Comments > System Shock Remake Gets Unreal
4. Re: System Shock Remake Gets Unreal Mar 2, 2017, 10:08 Cutter

Agent-Zero wrote on Mar 2, 2017, 09:58:
unity is fucking garbage

No it's not. It's just better suited for other kinds of games than this. I'm in on the EA of the game Ghost of a Tale. It's a Unity game and it's gorgeous - great game too so everyone should support it!

News Comments > AMD Ryzen Reviews
1. Re: AMD Ryzen Reviews Mar 2, 2017, 09:57 Cutter

From the PC World Article in regards to the gaming benchmarks...

Here’s why, AMD says

“As we presented at Ryzen Tech Day, we are supporting 300+ developer kits with game development studios to optimize current and future game releases for the all-new Ryzen CPU. We are on track for 1,000+ developer systems in 2017. For example, Bethesda at GDC yesterday announced its strategic relationship with AMD to optimize for Ryzen CPUs, primarily through Vulkan low-level API optimizations, for a new generation of games, DLC and VR experiences,” Taylor said. “Oxide Games also provided a public statement today on the significant performance uplift observed when optimizing for the 8-core, 16-thread Ryzen 7 CPU design—optimizations not yet reflected in Ashes of the Singularity benchmarking. Creative Assembly, developers of the Total War series, made a similar statement today related to upcoming Ryzen optimizations.

“CPU benchmarking deficits to the competition in certain games at 1080p resolution can be attributed to the development and optimization of the game uniquely to Intel platforms—until now. Even without optimizations in place, Ryzen delivers high, smooth frame rates on all ‘CPU-bound’ games, as well as overall smooth frame rates and great experiences in GPU-bound gaming and VR. With developers taking advantage of Ryzen architecture and the extra cores and threads, we expect benchmarks to only get better, and enable Ryzen to excel at next-generation gaming experiences as well. Game performance will be optimized for Ryzen and continue to improve from at-launch frame rate scores.”

To boil it down: The world of game developers basically develop for two platforms: Intel’s small socket or Intel’s large socket. AMD, as much as it pains the fanboys, has been invisible outside of the budget realm and the results are showing up in the tests. Is that what’s really going on? I can’t say for sure, and I doubt anyone can at the moment but it's at least plausible.

News Comments > Into the Black
6. Re: Into the Black Mar 2, 2017, 08:57 Cutter

Think about the billions of things that live in the oceans. They're all peeing and pooing all the time. I don't go in the ocean because of that but because I saw Jaws when I was 10.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 1, 2017, 21:34 Cutter

So glad I came across that news about the new RX500 series in April and the Vega launching in June. I was about to pull the trigger on ASUS RX480 8Gig card today as it finally hit $300 - where up until now they've been $380, when I decided to check to see when the next price drop for cards was coming since Vega is on the way. So yeah looks like I'll be waiting another month or so to see what's what.

1. Re: Evening Metaverse Mar 1, 2017, 21:28 Cutter

Awesome comment....

"Seems like he is in the perfect administration to me.

Step 1. Tell the public they are working for their best interests
Step 2. Work in the best interests of multinational corporations.
Step 3. Profit from the revolving door of government as you are rewarded with a fellowship at a shill think tank funded by those in step 2.

Meanwhile.... I get shittier service at a higher cost.
America, the land of opportunity... for a few hundred people."

Fuckin' A, bubba.

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
1. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Mar 1, 2017, 21:15 Cutter

Not down with the MOBA but I love the premise and the visuals. Something like this would make for a really interesting and fun CRPG.

News Comments > Ghost Recon Wildlands Betas Set Records
1. Re: Ghost Recon Wildlands Betas Set Records Mar 1, 2017, 21:13 Cutter

Enh it was ok. But like most Ubisoft games it's all grindy filler. Which I'd be fine with at $20 but that they want $80 - or 60 Freedom Dollars - that's just not going to happen. In fact, with the exceptions of Ass Creed 1, 2, Black Flag, and Blood Dragon, none of their games is ever worth more than a 20 spot to me.

News Comments > Steel Division: Normandy 44 Announced
2. Re: Steel Division: Normandy 44 Announced Mar 1, 2017, 20:56 Cutter

Panzerfaust?

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
24. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 1, 2017, 19:04 Cutter

jdreyer wrote on Mar 1, 2017, 18:20:
Except that the high-end employees you need for that kind of work have expectations of a fun lifestyle that can't be had in Lincoln, Nebraska.

I know a pretty good developer who lived in Honolulu. While he liked the surf and sea, he got bored after a couple of years and got a new job in L.A. He's much happier there, being able to take road trips to Mexico and Tahoe, go to Lakers games, experience L.A. nightlife, etc. etc. Been there a decade now.

I suppose it all depends on the company and it's culture. Obviously those with a young culture are going to want the big city. But for everything not them, and there's a hell of a lot more of that out there, with people from starting a family onward to those in their 30s, and 40+ crowd more likely, A nice, safe, quiet place with a cheaper cost of living is much more important. If you're writing software for a real estate or trucking company, it's not sexy but odds are you're in that latter category.

10. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 1, 2017, 14:31 Cutter

dubfanatic wrote on Mar 1, 2017, 13:48:
Cutter wrote on Mar 1, 2017, 12:01:
It never ceases to amaze me. All these people want to live in the big, cool city...just like several million other people...and then bitch about everything being so expensive. It's a big country. Plenty of places with a low cost of living where you can still make good money. All their woes are entirely self-made.

Yeah, but those places aren't cool. Plus, you might have to live around *gasp* Trump supporters...

That's another thing. So many corporations are in big cities that have absolutely no need to be there. They could be doing themselves and their employees a massive favor by relocating to cheaper places.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 1, 2017, 12:13 Cutter

BobBob wrote on Mar 1, 2017, 11:22:
Wow! What's really scary is just how many viewers this guy has.

Wideeyed

Why was Robertson - and lunatics like him - not institutionalized in an insane asylum long ago? I mean, him and his ilk are literally cuckoo bananas. In any rational society in the world they would have been locked up and treated long ago. These people are batshit crazy.&#65279;

And yes to your point on renting for a while at least until you get the lay of the land and figure out where you'd be happiest, and make sure the job works out for Mrs. Blue ok and all that jazz.

7. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 1, 2017, 12:01 Cutter

It never ceases to amaze me. All these people want to live in the big, cool city...just like several million other people...and then bitch about everything being so expensive. It's a big country. Plenty of places with a low cost of living where you can still make good money. All their woes are entirely self-made.

25812 Comments. 1291 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo