Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Cutter Knox

Real Name Cutter Knox   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Cutter
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Rockin' dude!
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 7, 2006, 00:07
Total Comments 24170 (Jedi)
User ID 25394

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Summer Picnic Sale Underway
44. Re: Steam Summer Picnic Sale Underway Jun 23, 2016, 20:48 Cutter

Acleacius wrote on Jun 23, 2016, 20:14:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jun 23, 2016, 19:53:
Cutter wrote on Jun 23, 2016, 16:09:

Virtually all of mine are only 10% off. I don't see a single game I want at a sale price I deem fair atm. And G2A is still crushing most of those prices.

Don't buy off of G2A if you can stand it. There was an article on here a few days ago, many stolen credit card rings are buying game keys and reselling them on G2A, and G2A doesn't seem to be doing much at all about it.

More on topic: I may have reached peak Steam ownership for awhile, no good sales on my wishlist at all at the moment.

I saw the article too, but wasn't it sort of speculation? It just seemed like something the RIAA drm, PR people try to push to justify all their lawsuits.

The keys are legit, they're just people using regional pricing to their advantage. Fuck the devs and publishers and Steam. So they'll lower prices in some places but raise them in others? Again, fuck them. Stellaris is on sale in Russia for the equivalent of $12 yet I'm supposed to pay $40 for the same item? If they were acting in good faith to begin with sites like G2A wouldn't exist. It's their own damn fault.

"What the hell are we supposed to use, man? Harsh language?" - Frosty
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Summer Picnic Sale Underway
26. Re: Steam Summer Picnic Sale Underway Jun 23, 2016, 16:09 Cutter

Saboth wrote on Jun 23, 2016, 14:41:
Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jun 23, 2016, 14:39:
I would like to see Total War: Warhammer on sale... That's what I'm waiting for..

Looks like about 25% of the games on my wishlist aren't on sale at all. C'mon, at least toss out a 10% or something.

Virtually all of mine are only 10% off. I don't see a single game I want at a sale price I deem fair atm. And G2A is still crushing most of those prices.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
24. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 23, 2016, 15:56 Cutter

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 23, 2016, 14:07:
Cutter wrote on Jun 23, 2016, 12:37:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 23, 2016, 11:44:
Cutter wrote on Jun 23, 2016, 11:12:
At least the Brits get a vote. Something we never got with NAFTA and aren't getting with the TPIP.
Would you really want the general public voting on matters like NAFTA and TPIP? Even if it was practical, which it isn't, I wouldn't want the ignorant public voting on these things.

Well how very anti-democratic of you. We didn't get a say and look at the result.
The voters got their say, by voting for the people in office. This isn't a direct democracy. It couldn't be even if we wanted it to be. It has always been an indirect democracy.

Like so many other issues, trade agreements like NAFTA and TPIP have so many pros and cons it is difficult to know if it really is good or bad for the US economy. Hell, arguing economics is like arguing psychology -- you never really know. Economists still can't agree on if the New Deal was good or bad for the Depression.

Whatever the case -- the solution isn't to allow a population which mostly doesn't care, and mostly wouldn't have any knowledge of the pros and cons, to decide. If you do that, you're just passing the power to talk show hosts...

No. In countries where we don't have proportional representation - America, Canada, England, India, the only 4 countries left in the world that don't and it says a lot - means up to and even beyond half of the population aren't represented and get a say in policy at all. It's the reason we have referendums on major issues like this. They far too important to be left to a handful of politicians and their supporters.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 23, 2016, 12:37 Cutter

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 23, 2016, 11:44:
Cutter wrote on Jun 23, 2016, 11:12:
At least the Brits get a vote. Something we never got with NAFTA and aren't getting with the TPIP.
Would you really want the general public voting on matters like NAFTA and TPIP? Even if it was practical, which it isn't, I wouldn't want the ignorant public voting on these things.

Well how very anti-democratic of you. We didn't get a say and look at the result. Strong protectionism - fair trade, not free trade - made for a strong middle class. Now we're in a race to the bottom and have been since Reagan/Thatcher/Mulroney started the assault on working people in the 80s. A vibrant manufacturing sector that had good jobs and benefits is all but vanished now. Why do you think we've been losing ground on wages and quality of life since then? And when the TPIP is ratified it's all over but the crying. Welcome to indentured servitude for the rest of your days. So yeah, the public should absolutely have the right to determine their own future in a democracy. Oh wait, that's right we actually live in a banana republic ruled by the oligarchs where we don't get those rights. And your options are vote for Corrupt Asshole A or Corrupt Asshole B who just end up doing the opposite of all the shit they promised to begin with. This is precisely why people like Trump and Sanders are resonating with the disenfranchised out there. And remember, this is only the start. It's only going to keep growing. This is what precipitates bloody revolutions.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 23, 2016, 11:12 Cutter

At least the Brits get a vote. Something we never got with NAFTA and aren't getting with the TPIP. These agreements always and only benefit the elites. Unchecked immigration is what kills the middle-class, and that's fine with the elites. Fact is if you let it occur than it's going to suck as badly here as it does in the countries these people come from. They have to learn to fix their own countries. If they're not even going to stand up for the country they were born in then why the hell would you think they'd be a good citizen here? No one needs fairweather friends.

1. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 23, 2016, 09:57 Cutter

The whole Brexit drama is way more entertaining than the Steam sale.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
3. Re: Evening Metaverse Jun 22, 2016, 22:46 Cutter

The MIC - and by extension the gun manufacturers - are the people who really run America. They have carte blanche. Almost a trillion dollars a year is what they loot from the American taxpayers now. And god help the godless commie liberal who ever dare suggest reining in defense spending! I mean the bankers and stock brokers know they're reviled and they're a fair target, but inject some common sense about weapons in 'Murica and that's treason! Besides, I'm sure most of the GOP and their supporters think a bunch of dead and wounded fags is a good thing/god's will anyway. Like this motherfucker....

Texas pastor hopes more Orlando shooting victims die

There's your GOP rank and file for you.

News Comments > Into the Black
1. Re: Into the Black Jun 22, 2016, 22:07 Cutter

So Brexit and the Steam summer sale tomorrow. Big day.

News Comments > Mafia III Preorder Bonus
2. Re: Mafia III Preorder Bonus Jun 22, 2016, 22:06 Cutter

How about a pre-order bonus that means they make a real Mafia game after this?

27. Re: In other news.... Jun 22, 2016, 15:57 Cutter

The Half Elf wrote on Jun 22, 2016, 15:08:
Took longer then expected but I am officially a High School Graduate.

Graduation gifts should be limited to Steam Gift Cards, Alcohol delivered to my door, and a full body massage by Chris Evans (Captain America suit is optional, but must bring the shield).

Special thanks to Batz for all his help, support, and someone I could aspire to be like, especially after this last year.

Good on ya. Whilst I can't get my hands on Chris Evans I'll see if I can't rustle up a lumberjack for you.

Gratuitous Shirtless Lumberjack

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
8. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 22, 2016, 15:45 Cutter

Or just use a a digital OTA antenna and not pay at all. Seeing my TV viewing habits are etremely limited and almost wholly pertain to PBS, TVO (Ontario's PBS), and football during football season I have zero need for cable/satellite, or streaming services like Netflix.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 22, 2016, 14:34 Cutter

Angrius Maximis wrote on Jun 22, 2016, 13:36:
I cant believe that shit show Scorpion is BACK AGAIN yet they cant air star trek on regular network TV

Virtually all TV is garbage. If you're not watching PBS you're wasting time on scheisse.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 22, 2016, 11:05 Cutter

More so than Quake itself I just remember that time as everything really taking off for games with the advent of 3D, mods, etc. Quake, UT, et al. were sweet and all, but so much better with mods like Hook, and Threewave CTF.  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
6. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 21, 2016, 16:30 Cutter

Creston wrote on Jun 21, 2016, 15:33:
PHJF wrote on Jun 21, 2016, 10:03:
So the penalty for Ticketmaster is they have to give out coupons. My pizza delivery boxes all do that already, and nobody sued the pizza company.

As far as you know...

Yeah, it's America after all. Just look at the tale of Pizza Hut vs. Papa Johns. I've never had PJs pizza, what's it like?

Pizza Hut v. Papa Johns

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 21, 2016, 16:19 Cutter

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 21, 2016, 16:09:
Cutter wrote on Jun 21, 2016, 15:26:
And as it applies to the brain you're not adding any new neural pathways anymore. That's it. That's all.

The business is a scam. But I think it is possible for new neural pathways to be created after 25. I'm pretty sure this has been seen sometimes in people with brain injuries who lose some sort of functionality due to the injury but recovery as the brain relearns the tasks...

Possibly, I'm by no means an expert. My understanding has always been however that 25+/- is basically it for growth and it's all (gradually) downhill after that. I haven't been able to find any actual science that nueorplasticity creates new neural pathways, merely the claims of it in marketing from companies like Luminosity. Seeing as the FTC they're no longer permitted to make those claims it stands to reason its bunk. Even if was true I'd imagine it would be rather limited and minor.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 21, 2016, 15:26 Cutter

jdreyer wrote on Jun 21, 2016, 14:15:
Billion-dollar brain training industry a sham—nothing but placebo, study suggests.

I'm not going to say brain training is real, but this study doesn't do all that much to disprove it either (although it does some). A 25 person sample size is the bare minimum you need, and the 5 point difference they found falls within the statistical margin of error. Also, the methodology of (test, train for an hour, test again) is hardly training at all. Let's do a good longitudinal study with a decent sample size and find out.

The reason I say this is that there are plenty of studies that show certain activities can increase intelligence or at least maintain it, i.e. "train the brain":

- exercise for children increases brain size and ability to learn

- free play for children increases ability to learn, memory, and problem solving skills

- activities such as doing crossword puzzles, playing card games, and reading delay the onset of dementia in the elderly. Given that many people are drawn to "brain training" companies to prevent cognitive decline, this would seem to be important.

Yeah, but they're talking about adults and cognitive decline due to aging. All the brain training in the world won't stave that off. Which is why the FTC fined Lumosity 2 million bucks and they're no longer allowed to make claims of that nature. Once you're 25'ish it's all over but the crying. That's when the body begins its long slow decline. And as it applies to the brain you're not adding any new neural pathways anymore. That's it. That's all. While I imagine it can't hurt, you're a sucker if you're paying a monthly fee for a service like Lumiosity.

News Comments > Into the Black
3. Re: Into the Black Jun 20, 2016, 22:25 Cutter

What's the expression as old as language itself? Oh right, you can't fix stupid.

However, anyway you slice it, easy access to guns does make contribute to all those killings. In every other country it's an expensive and time consuming process to acquire a gun and even more onerous if you want to use it at a range - which are almost non-existent here anyway. In my life I've shot a few .22's and .303s, mainly when I was an Air Cadet and at my uncle's farm. I've handled a handgun once, but never shot it. And apart from 2 other times where I've actually seen handguns in public - bad situations - you only ever see on a cop's hip - or someone else like a prison guard or money truck guard. Otherwise guns do not exist here for all intents and purposes and that's a good thing.

This is what we see in the US. Someone gets mad and rather than go fight them, or even take it to a level of a bat or maybe a knife, so many just go straight to gun, and then it's all over but the crying. I've seen videos on Youtube of assholes walking around loaded for bear in open carry places and thinking they're some sort of patriot hero yet the overwhelming response you see in the comments are is they're precisely the sort of jackass that shouldn't be permitted anywhere near a gun. And I agree with that. The more vehement you are that you should be a walking gun store, the less you should probably be able to carry even one to begin with.

This good samaritan fantasy of gun nuts needs to end. Mire often than not they only make the situation worse. I'm not saying no one should have guns, but people should be suitably terrified of using one because of the harsh repercussions of misuse. Which means you better be in a life and death situation before you jerk that pistol and go to work.

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale Jun 20, 2016, 22:00 Cutter

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jun 20, 2016, 21:04:
PoEt 60% off, now's your chance to gift out a few copies, Cutter and other major PoEt fans.

Disclaimer: I borderline loved PoEt; hopefully PoEt 2 will be the greatest rpg of this era.

Heh, screw you. Look man, I've always loved everything else BiS/Obsidian has done, but like a lot of other people feel this way too, they dropped the ball on this one in a big way. I'm actually, legitimately surprised just how much I didn't care for this game at all.

Conversely I finally finished W3 with all the DLC and was floored by how amazeballs it was. I can say without equivocation now that it's my #1 game of all time - and this is from someone who didn't care for the first two games at all. S'funny ol' world, innit?

News Comments > Offworld Trading Company Toolkit DLC
2. Re: Offworld Trading Company Toolkit DLC Jun 20, 2016, 21:55 Cutter

The Half Elf wrote on Jun 20, 2016, 20:26:
5 bucks for a fucking map editor?!?

And that's just another reason not to support Stardock, silly goose.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
17. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 20, 2016, 16:11 Cutter

afka Rossini wrote on Jun 20, 2016, 15:08:
Cutter wrote on Jun 20, 2016, 09:52:
I'd love self-driving cars for absolutely no other reason than it giving the middle-finger to auto-insurance.

Cutter, I never figured you to be that optimistic. The insurance companies will get theirs as long as there are politicians to buy.

Yeah, true enough, who am I kidding. They always get us coming or going, it doesn't matter. Just bend over, grit your teeth and think of England.

24170 Comments. 1209 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo