Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Cutter Knox

Real Name Cutter Knox   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Cutter
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Get off my lawn!
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 7, 2006, 00:07
Total Comments 27212 (Jedi)
User ID 25394

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 10, 2017, 21:52 Cutter

Spot on comment....

"Typical pass the blame for bad design

Yet another self serving line of PR garbage. Take the last sentence:

"90 per cent of attacks begin with someone clicking on an email... We need to protect people from their bad habits," he noted. ®"

How about you don't make products that can be totally hijacked by opening up an e-mail or viewing a web page.

Calling garbage insecure design from the get go people's bad habits is a bit self serving.

Asking people nicely to please not hack into your insecure products is about the same as asking the burglars to please not open your door and walk out with all your stuff because a good lock is too hard to make or replace."

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: Evening Metaverse Nov 10, 2017, 21:46 Cutter

So the PC Inquisition begins. Commit a crime? Wait, not commit, been accused of a crime? Then you're up shit creek without a paddle.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
2. Re: Evening Interviews Nov 10, 2017, 21:45 Cutter

Yeah, it needs actual product...good product and lots of it..which it doesn't have either of, nor does it look like it's coming. Everyone seems to be waiting for everyone else to deliver and that's what's killing it.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2017, 15:27 Cutter

jdreyer wrote on Nov 10, 2017, 14:59:
Today is Veteran's Day in the USA. If you have served in the military, you have my respect and gratitude, not just today, but every day. Thank you.

Why? I don't understand this cult-like obsession with the military in the US. No soldier has lifted a finger in defense of you or your country in your lifetime and probably your parents lifetime. The last time that happened was WWII. And I think the last 73 years of saying thanks and having a Remembrance/Veterans day once a year is plenty considering no one remembers the point of it and it sure as hell doesn't stop armed conflict in spite of the meaningless platitudes. Everything soldiers have been involved in since WWII has been about US exceptionalism and hegemony. That makes them, point in fact, invaders in most cases, not defenders. And considering the staggering costs of your MIC at the expense of everyone and everything else it makes it even more mind-boggling.

It's right up there with Americans saying "Oh my gosh." Instead of "Oh my god." Everyone on the outside looking in finds it immensely funny that a nation with an extremely violent culture is perfectly ok with that, but a bit of sex, nudity, or blasphemy is completely unacceptable. America really is all about the cult of personality.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2017, 13:21 Cutter

First snowfall here last night. Not a ton but everything is covered in the white stuff, looks pretty.

So long Higgy-baby!

News Comments > Into the Black
3. Re: Into the Black Nov 9, 2017, 21:01 Cutter

With the exception of Empire I've always agreed with Sir Alec that SW is horrible tripe that's only gotten progressively worse and exists solely as a vehicle to sell merchandise.

Most of the books have been pretty bad too with the noted exception of the Thrawn books. Now that should be mace into a TV series. Also the Tales short stories would work well like Tales of the Bounty Hunters.

News Comments > TransRoad: USA Rolls Out
1. Re: TransRoad: USA Rolls Out Nov 9, 2017, 20:53 Cutter

I'm actually pretty interested in this game. Mixed reviews looks like it was released too early, so I'll look at grabbing it somewhere down the road.

News Comments > GOG.com Celebrates Syberia 3: The Complete Journey with Syberia Giveaway
2. Re: GOG.com Celebrates Syberia 3: The Complete Journey with Syberia Giveaway Nov 9, 2017, 20:49 Cutter

SlimRam wrote on Nov 9, 2017, 20:42:
Just grabbed my copy. I've never played any of the series but it seems to be well liked. I'll have to throw it on top of my pile of unplayed games I'm trying to get through. I'm currently trying to get through the first Watchdogs and so far, I like it.

They're pretty old but the artwork and style is really nice.

News Comments > EA to Acquire Respawn
12. Re: EA to Acquire Respawn Nov 9, 2017, 20:48 Cutter

SimplyMonk wrote on Nov 9, 2017, 18:45:
“We’ve seen firsthand the world-class caliber of Respawn as a development studio with incredible vision, deep talent and an inspiring creative mindset”

"As such, we've decided to acquire them and do away with all that nonsense like we've done with every other single developer we've ever acquired."

I mean, does no at that company see a pattern here?

Indeed. It makes one wonder why they bother? And it's not like Respawn is worth anywhere close to that. Jesus, just do some major hiring and put out some new IPs.

36. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 9, 2017, 16:19 Cutter

Creston wrote on Nov 9, 2017, 15:48:
Verno wrote on Nov 9, 2017, 15:15:
There's the Louis C.K story I mentioned earlier.

Stay clean Bill Burr.

I wonder why so much of this stuff is coming out now. Is it just people feeling encouraged by others speaking up?

Because it's the age of the self-entitled politically correct where no molehill is too small to pass up and simply must be made into a mountain. Christ, I just heard on the radio today that people are starting to call for CFL team, Edmonton Eskimos to change their name because that's racist. FFS! Rolleyes

9. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 9, 2017, 12:30 Cutter

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 9, 2017, 11:47:
Creston wrote on Nov 9, 2017, 11:04:
Man, Kevin Spacey is DONE.
I have to say the whole explosion of sexual harassment charges in the news has me wondering a bit. Is it just me?

I read this stuff and it just doesn't fit into my life experience. I have neither witnessed nor heard personal accounts of these types of actions. And I'd like to think if I did witness it, I'd step in and say something. I don't think I've ignored it -- but it sounds so damn common I wonder if I have been blissfully ignorant?

Try working in the bar business. It's par for the course. Give a lot of guys a couple of drinks and they think it's their god given right to hit on any woman they want. Most of the places I worked never put up with those sorts of shenanigans, but working in the industry and being a barfly back in the day it's all too common everywhere. Then there are the real jerks who don't even need the booze but will hassle a woman anywhere. And then there's a metric shit ton of countries out there like Italy where it's a national pastime for men. Conversely I've been hit on by drunk women and men many a time. And I'd be lying if I said I didn't take advantage of it. We're hard wired for sex, that's how evolution works. And some are wired for it more than others. There's nothing wrong with that as most of reaction and judgement is always predicated on current cultural norms. It's only when you start getting pushy after someone has said no is when it becomes a problem.

Who's to say Spacey actually did any of this stuff? There's no shortage or people out there willing to lie and jump on the bandwagon hoping to cash on some quick fame and fortune. Maybe he did get drunk and pushy at points but that's a long goddamn way off from rape. Remember what Lou Reed said, "Don't believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear." It's just way too easy these day to convict people in the court of public opinion without any actual real knowledge of the truth and that's wrong.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 9, 2017, 12:17 Cutter

He then told her, “It was a shame I had to waste that bullet, it was a really expensive hollow-point bullet.”

Jesus Christ, it's frightening how many morons are allowed to wear a uniform and have the legal authority to use a gun.

News Comments > Obsidian Tease
7. Re: Obsidian Tease Nov 9, 2017, 12:06 Cutter

POE and Tranny were pretty meh IMO. I'd give a lot if it were a new NWN game.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 8, 2017, 17:58 Cutter

Well there's the minutia of just how intelligent certain AIs will be. Firstly I'd believe that there would have to be some sort of absolute control to shackle said AI in the event it does go rogue. However something being an AI doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be some ultimate intelligence either. How smart does an AI have to be to do a job most humans can do? Not very in most cases. And even in cases where it needs to be smarter than your average bear, say medicine, again that doesn't mean Skynet level of intelligence.

I dunno. I think we need it overall. And it seems inevitable at this point. It's all in how its implemented and handled at all levels of society. If it's too sudden or overwhelming then it'll be bad, very bad. It's more of a walk before you run scenario. And while Ray is a smart man we also see how quick and easy it is for a company like Google to go from 'Don't be evil' to 'We're totes fuckin' evil now!' in a hop, skip, and a jump. Any AI programming would have to have some sort of official oversight, and even then, who watches the watchers? What about hardcore villains and rogue states programming AIs for their own nefarious purposes, or our own governments even?

Yeah, there's major potential upsides and downsides to the whole thing. Guess it's like anything else, we'll only have the benefit of hindsight after they're here and how it all plays out.

News Comments > Videogame Voice Actor Strike Ends
8. Re: Videogame Voice Actor Strike Ends Nov 8, 2017, 17:47 Cutter

Linksil wrote on Nov 8, 2017, 15:03:
I don't see anything about royalties.

NOW they just need to start paying the real people behind the games like programmers and artists better.

That's because there are no royalties - unless you have the star power to command it which most don't. The major pubs they were dealing with - EA, Ubi, Actiblizz, et al. - flat out refused any sort of royalty payments from the get go. And I don't blame them. Personally I always thought royalties are bullshit.

Game development isn't all that different from anything else in terms of compensation. If you have the skills and experience they want you'll get things on your own terms. Everyone else, not so much. It's also the main reason so many people in the industry are simply putting in some time with someone in order to acquire the experience they need and then head out on their own. After all, if you can develop and self-publish that's where the real money is.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 8, 2017, 14:18 Cutter

Yes, but you're not allowed to board a plane while intoxicated already and if the penalty is stiff enough for smuggling booze on board than people won't do it. It's no different with all my years as a bartender, when people came in either corked or half-in-the-bag they wouldn't get served. In Ontario the bartender/server/manager/resto are all legally responsible for over-serving people booze. They can and do get arrested, sued, business shut down/lose its license all the time by the AGCO. It's a serious business here. Personally it's always bothered the hell out of me because it absolves the drinker of any personal responsibility and I don't see why I need to be their babysitter. If you can get drunk, handle your shit and not be a problem than all power to you. And most people can, these laws always and only exist because a handful of assholes can't handle their shit. It's the same with drugs, gambling, etc.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 8, 2017, 11:48 Cutter

The woman, who had been drinking,

Yeah, I think it's past time that airlines cut the booze entirely. If you can't survive a few hours without having a drink you've got serious issues.

News Comments > Videogame Voice Actor Strike Ends
3. Re: Videogame Voice Actor Strike Ends Nov 8, 2017, 11:42 Cutter

Useless union. 2 years and they get a pittance of a raise.  

News Comments > Take-Two Financials; GTA5 Now All-Time Bestselling Game in U.S.
7. Re: Take-Two Financials; GTA5 Now All-Time Bestselling Game in U.S. Nov 7, 2017, 23:47 Cutter

Bumpy wrote on Nov 7, 2017, 20:48:
So when are gamers going to get burned out from this type of game?

So a western is coming next but then what? Seems like a tired game to me, been there done that.

Perhaps GTA6 will be impressively VR to make a large improvement?

Whatever shortcomings GTA may have the overall stories are amazing. And 5 is the best. The whole dynamic between Trevor, Michael and Franklin was brilliant. And I don't know how you can call RDR tired when there's only been one. And that's hands down the best game Rockstar has ever made. I can't wait for RDR2.

News Comments > Telltale Layoffs
3. Re: Telltale Layoffs Nov 7, 2017, 23:42 Cutter

Always nice to let people go just around Xmas time, isn't it?

27212 Comments. 1361 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo