Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Cutter Knox

Real Name Cutter Knox   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Cutter
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Get off my lawn!
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 7, 2006, 00:07
Total Comments 25361 (Jedi)
User ID 25394

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
12. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 27, 2016, 15:13 Cutter

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 27, 2016, 14:12:
And on top of this, no one shall be able to talk to the person next to them... since... it would be the same thing as yapping on a phone. Any talk could be dangerous in the case we need your utmost attention immediately, we cannot have random conversations going on elsewhere. That also means no headphone usage either, we may have to speak to you pronto. Eyes closed, no eyes wide open. If you aren't getting the point, we need immediate attention in case of an emergency.

How about this... get rid of airplanes, we are too afraid, we are not home of the brave, we are home of the paranoid.

The argument that I found more relevant vs the article came from within the notes about the safety of the phone itself, not people talking. That said, I would still want the usage of a device like a walkman or dvd player, things not running hot or really expand their content on-board. To think I'll I can have is the magazine, yeah I had that 20 years ago and hated it then to. I'm totally not up for that kind of turn the clock back.

I will never hear you talking to the person next to you or on a phone, I'll have my eyes shut and headset set on 11.

It's not the same thing. I've blown people off who wanted to chat. And even when people do, they modify their volume and discussion because they're aware of what's going on around them. People lose that situational awareness with phones, and forget to modify their conversations and volume. And again, when you're out in public you have the option of walking away and finding a quieter space, you don't have that option in a confined space with people already under stress. These are COMPLETELY different things. It's the sort of shit that's already inducing air-rage and that's why they're calling for the ban. Phones should be banned on planes, period. Same with booze. If you can't last a few hours without a phone or alcohol than you have some really serious issues and shouldn't be permitted on a plane either.

"Hark, now hear the sailors cry. Smell the sea and feel the sky. Let your soul and spirit fly into the mystic." - Van Morrison
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Vaporware Awards
20. Re: Vaporware Awards Dec 27, 2016, 15:08 Cutter

Muscular Beaver wrote on Dec 27, 2016, 15:01:
I dont get all the hate.
GTA 5 took 7 years to complete on the PC. Star Citizen is at least as big, if not much bigger. So of course it will take at least as long.
But I guess now I know why publishers dont announce games that early... because of whiners who cant even put 1 and 1 together.

Apples and oranges, buddy. Does Rockstar ever ask anyone for dime one? CR asked for money for a WC type game and has blown it off. Rockstar actually delivers the game you know they're making. And lastly, they have a successful track record, wildly successful.

"Hark, now hear the sailors cry. Smell the sea and feel the sky. Let your soul and spirit fly into the mystic." - Van Morrison

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
10. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 27, 2016, 13:57 Cutter

They're correct. A bunch of people crammed into a tiny space under already dangerous conditions is stressful enough. Add all these people yammering on phones non-stop for several hours and shit is going to go down. I know even when I'm in a cafe or something when some asshole is talking away non-stop beside me I feel like punching them in the face. Crammed into a plane forced to sit next to someone for several hours? Forget it about it!

This comment was edited on Dec 27, 2016, 15:09.

News Comments > Vaporware Awards
12. Re: Vaporware Awards Dec 27, 2016, 13:53 Cutter

Tumbler wrote on Dec 27, 2016, 13:02:
Is it fair to call it vaporware *SNIP*

Yes, yes it is. Even DNF was producing work - after a fashion. This game was supposed to be SQ42. Now it likely will never be. The whole model is about keeping the money flowing in without nothing to show for it except the illusion that things are really happening. The alpha's they keep releasing is the same shit for several years now. That's a classic ponzi scheme.

News Comments > Hero's Song Cancelled
6. Re: Hero's Song Cancelled Dec 27, 2016, 13:49 Cutter

Spektr wrote on Dec 27, 2016, 13:04:
Because one gets paid even if the project fails

Creston wrote on Dec 27, 2016, 12:57:
This was a terrible business model... Why even start with that vague hope of "Well, maybe we'll get enough money down the road?"

Exactly. This equates to a 'go on, take the money and run' scam. I'll be amazed if anyone gets their money back.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
19. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 27, 2016, 13:48 Cutter

As someone who's had a couple of friends die from heroin ODs and drug related complications I know that story all too well. There is just no upside to it. I really wish people could find a better way to alleviate whatever problems they're having and stay away from that shit. Much as I disagree with prohibition on almost anything illegal, heroin is the one thing I do not.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 26, 2016, 16:49 Cutter

You’re an Adult. Your Brain, Not So Much.

Confirmed by any random internet comment thread.

I look at females the exact same as I did when I hit puberty. I pretty much just wanna' hump em' all. Sure I love them and respect them and all that jive, but when we get right down to the brass tacks? The little head does the thinkin'.

Afer all, it's like George Michael said, "All we have to see is that I don't belong to you, and you don't belong to me. Yeah, yeah, freedom!"

News Comments > Boxing Day Metaverse
1. Re: Boxing Day Metaverse Dec 26, 2016, 16:43 Cutter

Shortcut #1. Stop supporting motherfuckers who don't support you.

News Comments > Christmas Tech Bits
9. Re: Christmas Tech Bits Dec 26, 2016, 02:50 Cutter

Just subsidize solar roofs and windpods and that's the problem mostly solved right there. How many houses could that little strip of road done that for? Several hundred? All making real energy and sending it back to the grid.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 25, 2016, 18:53 Cutter

SlimRam wrote on Dec 25, 2016, 18:31:
George Michael just died, he was 53.

I would say,"Suck it 2016" but somehow, this doesn't seem...quite right to say *cough*.

Yeah, came by to post that. Was always a fan of his. Man, so many good people gone this year, meanwhile dicks like Trump and Co. just roll on. Fuck this year in the ass - not like that's a bad thing or anything, just the figurative F in the A.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 25, 2016, 15:45 Cutter

We're supposed to hit a record high of 10C tomorrow so, I'll buy that for a dollar! Just got the prime rib in the over for a slow cook, Alton Brown style. Got my heirloom veg all prepped and ready for roasting. Got my apple pie ready for dessert and the apple cider ready for mulling. Now I'm just taking a break with a little coffee and Baileys & Kahlua action. Good stuff. Happy Christmas, folks!

P.S. Enh, on that Alien trailer. Didn't hook me remotely as much as the new Blade Runner one. Good that it has Billy Crudup in it. Always liked his work, especially as Pre in Without Limits.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
2. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 25, 2016, 14:07 Cutter

The worst part of no flash sales is there's never any pleasant surprises. What you see on day one is what you get for the rest of the sale.

News Comments > Christmas Tech Bits
3. Re: Christmas Tech Bits Dec 25, 2016, 14:05 Cutter

Fidler disagrees. “There’s no reason to believe that a lot of what we think of as strategic work or even creative work can’t be substantially overtaken by software.”

And again, as always, what do you do with all these unemployed people?

Solar roadways are stupid. If solar ever gets to the point it's efficient enough and cheap enough to build solar roads everywhere we'll no longer need them by that point.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 24, 2016, 15:01 Cutter

A Quake 2 Christmas

'Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the base,
The scanners showed no signs of the alien race.
The bullets were placed in my chaingun with care,
In case Strogg invaders soon would be there.
The other marines nestled all snug in their pods,
Dreaming of gibbage and dark vengeful gods.
And I in my Kevlar, and official Quake 2 cap,
Had just settled down for a long cryo nap.
When out in the night there arose such a clatter,
I sprang from my pod to see what was the matter.
I ran to the porthole, well shaded and sealed,
And cautiously turned off the magnetic shield.

The moon on the breast of the loosely packed mud,
Reminded me of Stroggos, and the puddles of blood.
When what in the sky should I get in my sights,
But a big hover sleigh and eight huge Parasites.
With a mountainous driver, whom I saw at a gander,
I knew that it must be a damned Tank Commander.
More rapid than lasers his coursers they came,
And he whipped them, and grunted, and called them by name.

"Now Slasher! Now Mincer! Now Pincer, and Mangler!
On Killer! On Ripper! On Gutter and Strangler!"
"To the top of the sandbags! To the top of the wall!"
"Move it, you maggots, or I'll slaughter you all!"

As starships that before a black hole should race,
When they meet with the deadliest hazard in space,
So down to the barracks the cyborgs they flew,
With a sleigh full of ammo and the Tank Commander too.
And then, in the courtyard, I gulped as I saw,
The gouging and scraping of each razor-sharp claw.
As I drew forth my blaster, and let out a call,
The giant Strogg bastard broke right through the wall.

He was dressed all in steel, both solid and mesh,
Held together by strips of grotesque human flesh.
A bundle of rockets he had flung on his back,
He could kill a small army with what he had in that sack.
His eyes -- how they gleamed!
"I must sound the alarms!"
This monster meant business,
He had cannons for arms!
His sly little mouth was drawn up in a grin,
And human blood dribbled all over his chin.
His guns issued smoke in a hypnotic pattern,
Encircling his head like the great rings of Saturn.
He had a broad face and a square, solid chest,
And a cybernetic heart pumping blood without rest.
He was muscular and frightening, a right evil old 'Borg,
With one thing on his mind -- sending me to the morgue.
A wink of his eye and a twist of his head,
Filled me with panic and horrible dread.
He spoke not a word but went right to the slaughter,
And my sleeping comrades became cannon fodder.
He killed all the soldiers with dual rockets blazing,
As I stood in horror my eyes blankly gazing.
The carnage complete, he strode back to the sleigh,
And I could do nothing but whimper and pray.
But I heard him say, as he flew out of sight,
"Merry Christmas, Hu-man. You got lucky tonight!"

- Emil Pagliarulo

News Comments > Christmas Eve Tech Bits
5. Re: Christmas Eve Tech Bits Dec 24, 2016, 14:59 Cutter

And you're horribly naive and overly optimistic if you can't see the potential dangers of AI. That's what Westworld is about. What happens when the robots start designing robots?

32. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 24, 2016, 00:34 Cutter

It's not the years, honey. It's the mileage.

News Comments > AU Fines Valve $3M
41. Re: AU Fines Valve $3M Dec 24, 2016, 00:31 Cutter

Slashman wrote on Dec 23, 2016, 20:50:
That window has passed. No one else was interested in doing digital distribution on that scale, and when they were it was too late to catch up.

If you think that all gamers are suddenly going to jump from using a service that most of them are happy with and have the majority of their games on then you might need to take another look.

You might also bear in mind that this 30% cut that we gamers complain about, but I've never heard an actual developer complain about, is the ONLY fee that devs pay to get their games up. For that they get unlimited access and freedom to upload/update their games (with no bandwidth usage fees or limits), and benefit from a ton of back-end tools and development aids that Valve is the only current digital distributor to offer. Not even the beloved GOG is matching that.

Creating that kind of competition is a little bit tougher than flipping a switch.

Most people will always go where its cheapest. Particularly those doing business. Mainly being self-employed most of my life I've gone through a lot of services. Vendor payment systems are a ripoff and they charge a flat fee and a percentage - generally a quarter plus 3% of the sale. Most people in business will tell you that's outrageous. 3% and a fee for something that literally costs them a fraction of a cent? Fuck that noise. 30 points? That's fucking extortion right there. Look at Walmart, they finally told VISA to go fuck themselves over those fees. That's Walmart, it's peanuts to them and they still told them where they could go and what they could do with those fees.

You're telling me I come along and open Bob's Digital Game Store, where I'm only charging 5% devs wouldn't flock there in droves? Of course they would. As I said, the only problem is the initial investment which would have to be pretty substantial. Office space, server farm, employees, licensing, insurance, etc. Several million easily, more likely in the low 10s of millions to start. After that it's fairly low overhead, bandwith is cheap at that volume. And you just need to do a better job with what you allow on the platform, and customer service. It basically runs itself. No, it can be done. It's just the upfront cost is the issue.

News Comments > AU Fines Valve $3M
36. Re: AU Fines Valve $3M Dec 23, 2016, 20:30 Cutter

Slick wrote on Dec 23, 2016, 19:20:
It's not bare minimum, it's outrageous. And they can get away with it too, so honestly good on them. People still flock to Steam to buy everything, and there's still a core contingent that will only buy other developers games if they're sold on Steam. The old login to steam so you can log into uplay nonsense.

Heard that. If I can find a game somewhere else other than Steam I'll take it. I wish everyone else would do the same. I wish there were several competing services at this juncture - and there's no reason why there shouldn't be. It'd be a lot of money up front, but I think it would be fairly easy to crush Steam.

News Comments > GTA Online Gets Wintery
2. Re: GTA Online Gets Wintery Dec 23, 2016, 16:23 Cutter

Rhett wrote on Dec 23, 2016, 16:15:
I really hate you can't just toggle this on... The game is beautiful in the snow, but you never get to see or use it.

Same with ETS2. I wish the devs would do a proper weather and seasons mod.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 23, 2016, 14:30 Cutter

jdreyer wrote on Dec 23, 2016, 12:48:
K, y'all. Serious question:

What's your favorite Christmas movie?

I'm a bit partial to Tim Burton's Nightmare Before Christmas myself.

Yeah, I'll second The Lion in Winter for sure. I tend to do a big run on the classics this time of year, Beckett, A Man for All Seasons, Ben Hur, Ten Commandments, The War Lord - Chuck Heston's best film and it's a must watch film if you've never seen it, it's my number three overall fave flick. Also El Cid if you've never seen it.

Die Hard 1 & 2 for more modern fare. "Whoever said we were terrorists?" Don't really go in much for the standard family fare stuff like Xmas Story, It's a Wonderful Life, et al.

25361 Comments. 1269 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo