Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for wonkawonka

Real Name wonkawonka   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 10, 2006, 12:37
Total Comments 280 (Amateur)
User ID 24649

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >

News Comments > Oculus Rift Kickstarter
20. Re: Oculus Rift Kickstarter Aug 2, 2012, 13:16 wonkawonka

Cutter wrote on Aug 2, 2012, 12:23:
You really want to wear one of these things for hours at a time? Can't see your controls. Knocking shit over when you reach for a drink/food/smoke. No thanks. And the only thing it's really practical for are FPS' and even then I can see some limitations and problems with it. It's like every other impractical gadget. It's neato for a while but after a few weeks you'll never touch it again. And that says nothing of how the reality will likely be only a handful of developers utilize it for a handful of games.

Think outside the box.
There's no reason why later on the goggles' screen itself won't have a opacity control where you can either handle it manually, or the app itself will change the opacity as you bring your head down towards your real life controls.

It could be very very nice. And 720p in-your-face is actually pretty good already. I'm thinking of getting one to tinker with its API.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Diablo III Wizard Bug Fix; Barbarian Bug Found?
9. Re: Diablo III Wizard Bug Fix; Barbarian Bug Found? Jul 24, 2012, 12:45 wonkawonka

deqer wrote on Jul 24, 2012, 12:36:
Their revenge is to build games differently. Build games with timesinks and mechanics that are configured and scaled intentionally for the sole purpose to have you spend more time/money on it.

No. The problem is the whole "social" thing. They want to have a trading marketplace, where some people are regular players and other are insane fanatics. So they have to scale everything for fanatics, and it alienates everyone else.

News Comments > Diablo III Invulnerability Exploit [Updated]
14. Re: Diablo III Invulnerability Exploit Jul 23, 2012, 13:18 wonkawonka

Fibrocyte wrote on Jul 23, 2012, 12:54:
I really enjoyed D3 when it was first released. I wasn't one of the ones bickering about the online DRM. However, I quickly hit a ceiling in Act1 of Inferno that would require me to switch from casually playing the game and farming items to intensely playing the game and farming items just to progress. While the gameplay is certainly fun, constant farming (with little to no forward movement) with nothing else to do in the game world becomes very boring.

Sadly, I think Blizzard will invest far less effort in resolving the replayability of D3 because it has no monthly subscription.

One other thought: They regularly take BNET offline for hours on end for 'scheduled maintenance'. It is a little mind boggling how they can do this - weekly - considering how most online service providers strive for five 9's of availability or higher. The issue is Blizzard has no SLA commitment to their customers. I can't imagine what they're doing during that maintenance window.

+100
I couldn't have said it better, regarding all the above thoughts. I did get to act II inferno, but quickly reverted to act I farming.

News Comments > Blizzard on Diablo III
33. Re: Blizzard on Diablo III Jul 19, 2012, 14:26 wonkawonka

The Pyro wrote on Jul 19, 2012, 13:54:
Admittedly I haven't played much D3 (open the open beta), but AH complaints remind me of several other multiplayer RPGs I've experienced. There's just too many items for sale. Too much supply forces prices downward, and the result is that players can buy items in the AH long before their characters could have found similar gear by just playing the game. Half the game is basically an item hunt, though, so half the enjoyment just evaporates as the player continues to get item drops that are consistently below the quality of stuff he can afford in the AH.

The current problem in D3 is much much worse: there are essentially 2 classes of players: the regular people and the fanatics (including cheats, bots...).
The whole game right now is tweaked for fanatics. If you are a fanatic, then indeed the above fully applies. If you are a regular player, then you can neither get good drops nor buy anything because to you gold is at a premium and you can barely get any. For the fanatic, 35MM gold pieces is nothing. For me, it's damn impossible.

News Comments > Torchlight 2 Progress Report
23. Re: Torchlight 2 Progress Report Jul 18, 2012, 06:30 wonkawonka

I really liked Torchlight except for the cartoony feel. Ultimately that's what stopped me from playing. I know it's stupid but I can't explain it.  

News Comments > Diablo III Game Limits Returning
21. Re: Diablo III Game Limits Returning Jul 17, 2012, 12:59 wonkawonka

MattyC wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 12:12:
wonkawonka wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 11:36:
I have no idea what the cheating is about, but it must be really rampant (and bots must be ruling the roost) because prices in the AH are insane for a normal player, and drops rates are epsilon (and drops are crap anyway).
I played 75 hours, much of it at level 60, quite a bit of it on inferno, and I have YET TO SEE A DROP BETTER THAN YELLOW.

Needless to say I stopped playing.

At 75 hours you either leveled crazy fast or you didn't spend that much time in inferno.

That's what the game is telling me, it might be a lot more. I didn't level crazy fast, in fact I played most of the time alone, just going through each difficulty level and act. Until inferno where I've had to partner up. And I did spend quite some time in inferno. But think about what you're saying: that a player who spent 75 hours on the game ISN'T EVEN EXPECTED TO GET ANY COOL ITEMS.
Something is dangerously broken there. I did have fun with the game, I do feel I got my money's worth (barely, because it's not varied enough in skills and items) but I'm ready to move on. And why? because a large part of it is that the game is being so exploited by bots and others that for the regular guy like me it's just useless.

MattyC wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 12:12:
As for the AH, why use it? Farming for items more or less is Diablo. Drops do need to be buffed (they are working on that) but atm yellow more or less is the best.

If anything I would say paranoia from their history with WoW, not a lack of testing lead to most of the negative aspects of the game. They seem far too concerned with hardcore players blasting through the content and burning out. That resulted in overtuned champ packs with underwhelming drop rates.

Exactly. They have a major problem with bots and/or hardcore players and they should have identified the issue. Simply make 2 environments, for hardcore/bots and for regular people. The difference being that regular people can't trade items between them, and therefore drop rates are hugely higher, resulting in a much more enjoyable single-player experience.
As long as they don't split those two actor types, they're going to be damned if they do and damned if they don't regarding the drop rates.

News Comments > Diablo III Game Limits Returning
6. Re: Diablo III Game Limits Returning Jul 17, 2012, 11:36 wonkawonka

I have no idea what the cheating is about, but it must be really rampant (and bots must be ruling the roost) because prices in the AH are insane for a normal player, and drops rates are epsilon (and drops are crap anyway).
I played 75 hours, much of it at level 60, quite a bit of it on inferno, and I have YET TO SEE A DROP BETTER THAN YELLOW.

Needless to say I stopped playing.

News Comments > Ubisoft DRM Glitch Ends
31. Re: And... Jul 16, 2012, 15:14 wonkawonka

SimplyMonk wrote on Jul 16, 2012, 13:52:
Although you can draw a comparison between Uplay and Battle.Net, it really isn't that cut and dry. Even though anti-piracy is a big win for the publisher in how B.Net functions, it at least makes a honest attempt of giving the user features and security in exchange for the annoyance that is DRM. Blizzard has no legitimate reason for not offering an offline mode to D3, but to say their DRM scheme is the same as Uplay when it comes to user acceptance leaves out the added value B.Net offers.

It may not be that cut and dry, but when you launch D3 to play for a half-hour and it tells you you can't, it's as fucking cut and dry as can be.
I've shelved that piece of shit game.

News Comments > Ultima Forever: Quest for the Avatar Announced
22. Re: Ultima Forever: Quest for the Avatar Announced Jul 12, 2012, 12:53 wonkawonka

They're idiots. They should just have called it Ultima Origins, AKA Akalabeth 00, with all the classes of Ultima III (including the Lark) and their races (Fuzzy, anyone?).

That's what I'd call a throwback!

News Comments > Wasteland 2 to Include Original
11. Re: Wasteland 2 to Include Original Jul 10, 2012, 12:07 wonkawonka

The thing is that Wasteland didn't age very well.
The problem isn't the graphics of course, but some of the game mechanics. Like getting stuck in a dungeon with absolutely no chance of getting out because some random pack of monsters 10 times more powerful than you spawned between your location and the exit all 87 times you tried doing it.

News Comments > Diablo III Hotfixes; Magic Find Debate; Endgame Woes
10. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes; Magic Find Debate; Endgame Woes Jul 4, 2012, 13:02 wonkawonka

Verno wrote on Jul 4, 2012, 12:26:
Well, there's many problems with the game right now but I think you touched on the most important one. Diablo 2 was a fun game at all levels, what I mean by that is there was something to do for everyone. At a low level you still had plenty of uniques, charms, sets and other fun amusements to keep you occupied. Meanwhile the high level play had rare collectibles and later on runes and so on. The difficulty curve is all out of whack too, the hill is more like a cliff.

Right. I got my demon hunter to 60, and all through I got zero (I mean ZERO) uniques/sets etc... Only blues and yellows. I still haven't gotten a single set item and I'm almost at the end of act I in inferno (having played it many times over).
The only changes between builds are the actual skills used, the items are just more of the same. And it doesn't help that many item modifiers are useless. Oh yeah, I'm loving this "melee attackers receive 300 damage on hit." Super useful for an item level 62 where a regular enemy has something like 30000 hp.

News Comments > Diablo III Hotfixes; Magic Find Debate; Endgame Woes
2. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes; Magic Find Debate; Endgame Woes Jul 4, 2012, 12:02 wonkawonka

Esoteric wrote on Jul 4, 2012, 11:57:
I'm not sure what the best solution is, but I do think gear switching right before a kill is a lame mechanic.
What's lame is that the only worthwhile gear is in Inferno, and the elite packs in inferno are random luck: either they're killable or they're not.
I think leaving a game because you reach a screwed up elite pack is more of a problem than switching gear during a fight.

Oh and if Blizzard could fix the blacksmith to make useful gear we'd play a lot more. Having to scan through the auction house where everything is in the millions of gold that's only accessible to bots makes zero sense. Don't even get me started on the RMAH.

News Comments > Diablo III 1.0.3 Skill Changes Found?
18. Re: Diablo III 1.0.3 Skill Changes Found? Jun 17, 2012, 02:36 wonkawonka

Muscular Beaver wrote on Jun 16, 2012, 21:31:
When will they learn that they also need to buff other stuff when they nerf one thing?

Hear hear.
Is it that hard for these idiots to understand that having for example pants that give you +1000 vitality might be as useful as the resistance stuff, as opposed to +150 vitality?
Resistance will give you let's say 50% damage reduction. Then if you want a comparable vitality item, you want that item to give you double the vitality. Not 5%.
Nerfing resistance to bring it back down to the lowest common denominator will only increase the difficulty of inferno. At some point no one will be able to play it.

Then again, Blizzard loves for people to bitch so I think their grand master plan is to make it so that no one can play Inferno to the end. Slowly they're turning the screw of the vise on our private parts, boys and girls.

News Comments > Max Payne 3 Sales Pale Versus L.A. Noire
8. Re: Max Payne 3 Sales Pale Versus L.A. Noire Jun 15, 2012, 11:09 wonkawonka

Payne has always been about the goddamn STORY.
You know, that thing that is missing these days. How's MP3 on that?
Was going to get it in the summer.

Edit: posted at the same time as ASeven who answered my question. Thanks!

This comment was edited on Jun 15, 2012, 11:29.

News Comments > Diablo III Hotfixes and More
30. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes and More Jun 10, 2012, 04:25 wonkawonka

FloorPie wrote on Jun 9, 2012, 23:55:
Dev wrote on Jun 9, 2012, 23:33:
PropheT wrote on Jun 9, 2012, 23:06:
They need to make the drops actually be drops and not have entire categories of gear be based on the auction house. For lack of a better way to put it, fuck the economy. The auction house should augment the game, not replace the loot tables like it did.
Blizzard CLAIMS that the game was built to play entirely without needing to use the AH if so desired.

Hah, yeah if you wish to slowly grind through normal getting a headache and it taking twice as long. Nightmare+ will be even worse. Even well geared my DH had trouble with Izual and Diablo solo, several deaths seemingly due to server lag.

I had no problem obliterating normal with my DH without ever using the auction house. It's only by act II Nightmare that it became impossible to ignore. Essentially Blizzard is saying "you can win the game normally without the AH". And that is really just stupid. Having the AH makes everyone end up with the same builds because the only thing that matters is gold. Then Blizz will go and say "hey, we got a great idea! Let's nerf the drops so that the AH doesn't have 50 of the critical '+x to all resistances, +y% attack speed' item, and that people will have to do something else".
You know where that will end up...

I think Blizz is chewing much more than it can digest

News Comments > Unreal Engine 4 Videos
27. Re: Unreal Engine 4 Videos Jun 9, 2012, 13:03 wonkawonka

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 9, 2012, 11:40:
So saying chess plays fine is an oxymoron. Chess is broken, play something better and worthwhile, then make an AI that can beat you at Go ;p

I agree, but the Bobby Fischer random chess variant fixes a lot of problems.

News Comments > Unreal Engine 4 Videos
26. Re: Unreal Engine 4 Videos Jun 9, 2012, 13:01 wonkawonka

reisub wrote on Jun 9, 2012, 09:43:
space captain wrote on Jun 9, 2012, 09:25:
...you cant have a good game without good graphics
So wrong.

+1. Case in point: Ultima V

News Comments > XCOM: Enemy Unknown Trailer
3. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Trailer Jun 5, 2012, 02:39 wonkawonka

Fletch wrote on Jun 5, 2012, 01:52:
No gameplay. Strange how the original had so much atmosphere with a slideshow intro and some simple, eerie background music, and this trailer does nothing for me.

I want to play X-Com, not Xbox.

+1

News Comments > Diablo III Patched
12. Re: Diablo III Patched Jun 1, 2012, 11:27 wonkawonka

The AH is basically a "I need better shit now, what's on sale for cheap?"
If an item hasn't been bid on in the first 3 hours, likely it'll never sell. And every item I've sold or bought has been at buyout price. The speed at which one goes up in levels makes it so that you have to look very very far ahead when actually bidding for an item.
36 hours from now you'll be 5-10 levels ahead, and who knows by then if you'll be lucky to find the items that make this one useless?

No, it's all about choosing the stats you want and looking at the buyout prices.

News Comments > Unreal 4 Details & Screenshots
31. Re: Unreal 4 Details & Screenshots May 18, 2012, 08:58 wonkawonka

A couple of points:

1- the demo was made specifically to show what could not be done until now. And mostly that means totally dynamic lighting from a massive number of different sources. Screenshots don't show anything. What this means for devs is that they can build dynamic environments (read: destructible) without worrying about how shadows and lighting will look like when that torch that was on the wall is gone since the wall has come down.

2- next-gen consoles will at best be at the level of 80% of release-date-current top-of-the-line PCs. Which means as usual that within a couple of years most PCs will be more powerful. Within 5 years they become a joke, just like we've got now. What I'm really worried about is how the Epic guys are scared that we won't even reach the 80% power! More like 50% because they need to keep the costs down.

Which to me means only one thing: re-fragmentation of the gaming market, with the most advanced games coming on PCs, then consoles mass market and tablets just slightly behind. In fact tablets may well become indistinguishable from consoles at some point in the near future.

280 Comments. 14 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo