Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

User information for Osc8r

Real Name Osc8r   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 17, 2006, 00:09
Total Comments 596 (Apprentice)
User ID 24533

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Age of Wonders III Free on Steam
11. Re: Age of Wonders III Free on Steam Jul 12, 2019, 04:19 Osc8r

One of my favourite games ever - especially in co-op. Enjoyed it far more than the new civ games.

Get it!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > EARTH DEFENSE FORCE 5 on Steam
6. Re: EARTH DEFENSE FORCE 5 on Steam Jul 11, 2019, 18:56 Osc8r

As much as i enjoyed the last one, that price is WAY too much for a console port and non-AAA game.

And lol at all the paid day 1 weapon and gear DLC's.

Might be a xmas sale buy, hopefully by that time they've worked out how to increase the FPS limit above 60 fps (if the steam reviews are anything to go by).

News Comments > Steam Summer Sale Concludes With Giveaway
20. Re: Steam Summer Sale Concludes With Giveaway Jul 9, 2019, 18:29 Osc8r

I use the wishlist a lot, i think i've got about 70 games on it... when they go on sale for over 50% i consider buying them. Usually if they are over 70% i often snap them up, sometimes in multiples as gifts.

Think i purchased around 9 games during the sale (closer to 15 purchases), so my backlog of games continues to grow.

I really have no interest in using other stores - and the majority of the games i play are indie games with online co-op, so they often only exist on steam anyway.

Works fine for me.
*shrug*

News Comments > EARTH DEFENSE FORCE 5 Lands on PCs This Week
5. Re: EARTH DEFENSE FORCE 5 Lands on PCs This Week Jul 8, 2019, 18:15 Osc8r

Hell yeah, finally! Enjoyed the last one way too much.

Just hope the price isn't absurd? As it honestly doesn't look all that much different than the last game.

With that said:

To save our mother Earth from any alien attack!

News Comments > AMD Zen 2 CPU Reviews
34. Re: AMD Zen 2 CPU Reviews Jul 8, 2019, 08:19 Osc8r

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 8, 2019, 04:28:
Osc8r wrote on Jul 8, 2019, 02:03:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 7, 2019, 23:18:
Also I wish benchmarks for CPU would include the end-turn time in Warhammer 2 mortal empires.

From memory tomshardware did civ 6 AI times which may be somewhat comparable?

The problem with CIV6 is that it is too short to really tell us anything. Turns in WH2 are around 30 to 300 seconds (yes, that span is real).... and if Ryzen has boost issues or the new mainboards have issues then it would be very far from 50 seconds ^^

They definitely aren't short on larger maps with multiple AI opponents in the late game...it's kinda frustrating at times waiting minutes for the AI to finish reach of their turns, so I definitely feel you there! (nukes help a lot though)

But you are right, the way they tested it during the reviews don't tell you much on second look...the times are way too short. Though I guess it kinda does at least give you an indicator of which CPU would perform best if nothing else...

31. Re: AMD Zen 2 CPU Reviews Jul 8, 2019, 02:03 Osc8r

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 7, 2019, 23:18:
Also I wish benchmarks for CPU would include the end-turn time in Warhammer 2 mortal empires.

From memory tomshardware did civ 6 AI times which may be somewhat comparable?

29. Re: AMD Zen 2 CPU Reviews Jul 7, 2019, 21:46 Osc8r

CJ_Parker wrote on Jul 7, 2019, 20:46:
Osc8r wrote on Jul 7, 2019, 19:02:
Hmmm... was honestly hoping for a little bit more.

Same here. The AMD fanbois said that Zen2 would "annihilate" or "curb-stomp" Intel but that hasn't really happened, especially not in gaming.

Now i'm undecided, 3900 or a 9900 with a little overclock. Gaming is pretty much all the PC will do.

Will be paired with a 2800ti and running 3440 widescreen. Aiming to make the PC as silent as possible as well.

If you are buying now then I'd consider AMD. In spite of the beefy 2080Ti, you will be GPU-limited when playing at ultra settings most of the time. The CPU is not that important anyway.

An AMD platform *might* be more future-proof. AMD promised that socket AM4 would last until 2020 so it is possible that Ryzen 4000 CPUs will also work on current boards.
Intel OTOH is definitely end of the road. 9900K + Z390 board = guaranteed dead end.

However, AMD also said at the Zen 2 reveal that it was "challenging" to make Zen 2 compatible with the current socket so maybe they were hinting at the end of the AM4 socket next year. If they introduced a new socket in 2020 it would not even technically be a "lie" because AM4 did last until 2020.

The "silent as possible" part could be problematic with Zen 2. Almost all X570 boards have an active chipset fan. Some are throttling (esp. MSI boards), some aren't.
German site Computerbase claimed that the unthrottled 2500rpm chipset fan on the Asus Crosshair Hero is "inaudible" but I call extreme bullshit on that. It would be the first 2500rpm fan in computing history that is inaudible. They probably had an open setup and weren't in a silent room to begin with.
And let's not even get started with regard to longevity... that 2500rpm fan is likely to turn into a buzz saw in ~2 to 3 years.

I'd say very careful research is advisable, i.e. wait for X570 board reviews and user reviews.
The X570 boards are also expensive as fuck by the way. The Asus Crosshair Hero is €425 while the Intel Z390 equivalent Asus Maximus Hero is "only" €289.

For a silence lover it might make more sense to simply buy a decent X470 board which is much cheaper, too. There shouldn't be any performance loss according to AMD but one might want to wait for X470/Zen 2 reviews to be sure.

Wouldn't mind pcie4 for future proofing, but not sure if it's worth paying more for it?

Nah. Check out this link from the 5700XT reviews:
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/pci-express-4-0-performance-scaling-radeon-rx-5700-xt/

There was also a test of the m.2 Corsair PCIe 4.0 SSD somewhere around here and it hit new highs in synthetic benchmarks. Real world difference is non-existent though unless you constantly copy large, contiguous files between SSDs for some reason.

Thanks mate, appreciate the input - i keep going back and forth, but as i said, no real hurry so may end up waiting a month or two before pulling the trigger. Who knows, maybe intel will drop their prices in response to actually having some competition for once!

Seems one reviewer bricked their 3900x already just by trying an auto overclock, that and the motherboard fan turned me off, as you mentioned.

On the flip side, i know i'm buying the end of the line with Intel, and i would like a bit of a change.

If i go the AMD route i don't think i'd bother with OC anyway, especially as i want it to be quiet. If i went the 9900 i'd probably put a dark rock pro 4 on there with a minor boost.

Hmmm...

Though if i was smart i'd probably just buy the new GPU and monitor then hold off till 2020...

News Comments > AMD NAVI Graphics Card Reviews
14. Re: AMD NAVI Graphics Card Reviews Jul 7, 2019, 20:36 Osc8r

ForgedReality wrote on Jul 7, 2019, 20:16:
Osc8r wrote on Jul 7, 2019, 19:58:
45db and performance all over the place? Well that's... disappointing.

Was quietly hoping they'd pull something out of their sleeve to at least bring Nvidia's pricing inline a bit but meh.

LULULULULULUULULULUL!!!!!11 You were hoping the last almost 15 years would be just an aberration or something and suddenly, one day, AMD would stand a chance? HAHA!! No. Bring back ATi, and maybe nVidia would have some competition. But, I mean, if you want cheap garbage that you have to upgrade in 6 months, there's always AMD as an option.

I was only quietly hoping, like really really stealthily. I mean, their CPU department did a commendable job at least! We just need a little more competition in the GPU market - like where the F is intel anyway? Seems like there's plenty of room for them.

To be bluntly honest though, i was just hoping that the 2080ti prices would come down so i could snag one ''''cheap'''' lol.

23. Re: AMD Zen 2 CPU Reviews Jul 7, 2019, 20:22 Osc8r

jdreyer wrote on Jul 7, 2019, 19:45:
Osc8r wrote on Jul 7, 2019, 19:02:

Now i'm undecided, 3900 or a 9900 with a little overclock. Gaming is pretty much all the PC will do.

Will be paired with a 2800ti and running 3440 widescreen. Aiming to make the PC as silent as possible as well.

Wouldn't mind pcie4 for future proofing, but not sure if it's worth paying more for it? (amd cpu is $20 more in AUD, motherboard TBA still).

Decisions decisions.

Good job getting back in the game though AMD, now stay in it! And tell your GPU department to wake up.
Post your build when you're done.

haha, yeah, it's been a while so i'm going to take my time... plus the planning itself can be rather enjoyable in itself.

Pretty much set on a MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Ti GAMING X TRIO 11GB and a Acer X34P, just waiting on some sales.

Probably going to re-use my RAM, water cooling, fractal case, ae5 soundcard and 970 pro m2 ssd (unless pcie4).

Totally undecided about the rest now though! Was really hoping the 3900x would have knocked it out of the park :/

News Comments > AMD NAVI Graphics Card Reviews
12. Re: AMD NAVI Graphics Card Reviews Jul 7, 2019, 19:58 Osc8r

45db and performance all over the place? Well that's... disappointing.

Was quietly hoping they'd pull something out of their sleeve to at least bring Nvidia's pricing inline a bit but meh.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
16. Re: ! Jul 7, 2019, 19:44 Osc8r

Ozmodan wrote on Jul 6, 2019, 10:53:
Osc8r wrote on Jul 5, 2019, 18:26:
Cutter wrote on Jul 5, 2019, 14:16:
Thanks but I'll wait and see what a wide test bed says on a wide test of games before writing the new AMD cards off. And the other two upsides are, as always, AMD is cheaper and they make price cuts faster. Plus in countries outside of the US there's generally a rather significant difference in pricing for AMD vs. Intel/Nvidia products.

But then you generally have the downsides of more noise, more heat, no g-sync and worse drivers.

Their GPU's sound like they'll be rather disappointing, but really looking forward to hearing more about the 3900x CPU.

Since when is G-Sync an issue? Few people waste money on monitors with that feature because of big differences in price. Secondly have you heard the new super graphics cards from Nvidia? Want to talk about noise, go listen to one!

I'm sitting next to a 2080ti at full load and can barely hear it, plus, my g-sync monitor at home is amazing...

And where are you getting your facts from?

According to people in the know, the new 5700xt is a WHOPPING 10db louder than the super cards you are calling noisy - so yeah, strong logic.

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_radeon_rx_5700_and_5700_xt_review,11.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SAWtKEIYbw

AMD fanboys are so cute.

21. Re: AMD Zen 2 CPU Reviews Jul 7, 2019, 19:02 Osc8r

Wouldn't mind pcie4 for future proofing, but not sure if it's worth paying more for it? (amd cpu is $20 more in AUD, motherboard TBA still).

Decisions decisions.

Good job getting back in the game though AMD, now stay in it! And tell your GPU department to wake up.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 5, 2019, 18:26 Osc8r

Cutter wrote on Jul 5, 2019, 14:16:
Thanks but I'll wait and see what a wide test bed says on a wide test of games before writing the new AMD cards off. And the other two upsides are, as always, AMD is cheaper and they make price cuts faster. Plus in countries outside of the US there's generally a rather significant difference in pricing for AMD vs. Intel/Nvidia products.

But then you generally have the downsides of more noise, more heat, no g-sync and worse drivers.

Their GPU's sound like they'll be rather disappointing, but really looking forward to hearing more about the 3900x CPU.

News Comments > Hunt: Showdown Next Month
6. Re: Hunt: Showdown Next Month Jul 3, 2019, 18:56 Osc8r

Was keen on it until i tried it during the free weekend... we were level 3-4 going up against level 50's, who had setup rooftop camps like 50 metres from our spawn in location each match.

TTK is like 0.5 seconds as well.

So matches were either - we didn't see anyone at all, or we got insta killed.

The game must be quite dead if they have to put new players against max levels even during a FREE WEEKEND.

Hard pass.

News Comments > NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super and RTX 2060 Super Review Roundup
30. Re: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super and RTX 2060 Super Review Roundup Jul 2, 2019, 17:14 Osc8r

So when are the 2080tis prices going to drop? I'm itching to build a new pc to replace my 6700k 980ti system with a 9900k or 3900x and a 2080ti, before I commit to a higher res ultra wide monitor.

My existing build can't even do 1440p smoothly in a lot of games these days (though gsync does help).

This comment was edited on Jul 2, 2019, 19:43.

News Comments > Steam Summer Sale
30. Re: Steam Summer Sale Jun 26, 2019, 18:23 Osc8r

Age of wonders 3 is still the best 4X game i've played, i also enjoyed it way more than any recent CIV game. Game also has loot, hero upgrades and items, unit leveling up, dungeons etc.

It also has co-op to boot.

Looking forward to AOE planetfall later this year.

News Comments > May 2019 Digital Game Sales
20. Re: May 2019 Digital Game Sales Jun 23, 2019, 18:31 Osc8r

Kxmode wrote on Jun 22, 2019, 20:31:
Osc8r wrote on Jun 22, 2019, 17:32:
Kxmode wrote on Jun 22, 2019, 15:21:
The only actual Epic Game Store exclusive is Fortnite on PC.

"Fortnite gets a boost from Season 9 but is still far off from its peak. Fortnite made $203 million across console, PC and mobile, up significantly from April but down 38% from May 2018. Console continues to contribute the largest share of players and revenue."

So that fad is coming to an inevitable end and with it Epic's ability to lock down exclusives. They should be focusing all the Fortnite cash on making their platform as good as if not better than Steam.

Almost 2 years of been the most profitable/popular game on the planet? That's some 'fad' :P

Perhaps you missed the part where it read "but down 38% from May 2018." A 38% drop isn't trivial. If Epic were a publicly traded company, a 38% drop from a previous year would cause investors to sell off shares, especially considering Fortnite is Epic's golden cash cow and primary source of profitable income.

I didn't, because even if it had a 100% drop tomorrow it wouldn't change the facts or the past eg:

"Fortnite earned record $2.4bn in 2018, the 'most annual revenue of any game in history."

But i guess you missed the part where the game is still topping the highest grossing game lists, and that they are still making over 200 million dollars a month from ONE GAME. One game that has broken pretty much all records and made the company a fkn mint - enough to single handedly fund all their other projects including their store.

Most AAA games are popular for a month or two at best... Fortnite has been killing it for 2 years straight now.

Any AAA dev would kill to have this 'fad' as you call it.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
2. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jun 23, 2019, 18:26 Osc8r

$3400 for the PG35, well damn...

Guess the X34P looks even better now.

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
6. Re: Goodbye, Chrome: Google’s web browser has become spy software Jun 22, 2019, 19:23 Osc8r

Nimh wrote on Jun 22, 2019, 15:13:
Apple devices are supported far longer than any Android phone. Kinda makes the price a wash.

We have $200 android phones that are 6 years old at work, and they still get updates.

When does this price wash thing start?

News Comments > May 2019 Digital Game Sales
8. Re: May 2019 Digital Game Sales Jun 22, 2019, 17:32 Osc8r

Kxmode wrote on Jun 22, 2019, 15:21:
The only actual Epic Game Store exclusive is Fortnite on PC.

"Fortnite gets a boost from Season 9 but is still far off from its peak. Fortnite made $203 million across console, PC and mobile, up significantly from April but down 38% from May 2018. Console continues to contribute the largest share of players and revenue."

So that fad is coming to an inevitable end and with it Epic's ability to lock down exclusives. They should be focusing all the Fortnite cash on making their platform as good as if not better than Steam.

Almost 2 years of been the most profitable/popular game on the planet? That's some 'fad'

Looks like the MOBA 'fad' is still doing pretty well too...

WTB the next fad.

596 Comments. 30 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo