Total Posts
731 (Apprentice)
User ID
Search For:
Sort Results:
Ascending
Descending
Limit Results:

731 Comments. 37 pages. Viewing page 36.
Newer [  1    22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  37  ] Older

Re: how about a donation system?
Mar 10, 2007, 11:31
Re: how about a donation system? Mar 10, 2007, 11:31
Mar 10, 2007, 11:31

"What I don't understand is, if the console market is so huge (which we know it is), why are the console game prices higher than PC games? Wouldn't you expect these higher volumes would lead to lower prices?"

The industry would have you believe its the high development costs, high costs of media, and piracy. In most cases, those are half truths if not flat out lies.

The "HD era" games are at $60 a piece for the same reason Bethesda expects you to pay $5 for horse armor.

The high cost of buying new has led me to prefer used purchases over new. Obviously this is bad for the developer and in some cases (such as Test Drive Unlimited) I would have really liked supporting the company with my dollar, but why pay a $30 premium just to do that? Especially when half the cars advertised with the game must be purchased seperately on Marketplace.

No subject
Mar 10, 2007, 10:50
No subject Mar 10, 2007, 10:50
Mar 10, 2007, 10:50

Another point I forgot to mention...

Game resellers.

Not just popular avenues for console games such as EB or Game Crazy but also Ebay and whatnot. These all hurt game sales, but is it piracy?

Once again, by the industries definition, it is. Legally however, it is not. When you buy a 360 game for example, no matter what a EULA might say, you own it and you are free to sell it or give it away as you wish.

Why buy a game at full price new when you can get it used and enjoy ALL the benefits of an unopened copy? Used console games do not have multiplayer play tied to CD keys, there are not CD keys in fact. Also, some game stores will let you try used and even brand new games there in the store before you buy, much like some CD stores let you sample the music in store.

Once again PC gamers are villanized while two very large (I would daresay combined are larger than piracy) contributers of "lost sales" go unnoticed, primarily I suppose, because game rental and game stores that resell games are such huge customers to the industry.

Looking on the back of a 360 game, I found this..."Unauthorized copying, reverse engineering, transmission, PUBLIC PERFORMANCE, RENTAL, pay for play, or circumvention of copy protection is strictly prohibited."

Public Performance??? How many times have you gone into a game store to see a full retail game up and running on one of their consoles?

Rental? Sure...I read this line on every one of my 360 titles, and I have seen ALL of them on the shelves of Blockbuster, Family Video, and some other video chain. So it's prohibited but not enforced huh?

I guess its easier to put the blame on faceless consumers than your largest consumers, much like the embarrasment that Microsoft faced when they found the largest pirates of their OS systems were PC mfgs like Dell, Gateway, etc.

No subject
Mar 10, 2007, 10:17
No subject Mar 10, 2007, 10:17
Mar 10, 2007, 10:17

It's funny how all of these high and mighty developers overlook other examples of "piracy" in order to blame PC gamers.

For example, game rentals. If console gamers feel questionable about a purchase, what do they do? They go rent it. What if a console gamer just wants to play through a games story and then never play it again? They go rent it.

I've done both with my 360. I rented Crackdown and deemed it was worthy of a purchase, however not good enough to warrant an immediate purchase. I rented Gears of War to play through the single player, I beat it and returned it, I have no desire to play it again.

So am I a pirate? Technically by definition of ID and the high and mighty developers posting here, I am. I played a game without buying it, in fact I was playing someone elses copy.

But oh no, the software organizations can't come down on rental places, they're a large part of their market share.

About 10 years ago you could rent PC games at video places. I actually purchased several games because of being able to try them at rental. Many games didn't have demos then and if they did, most people got their demos from magazines, which were selective about what demos they put on them.

Maybe they should bring PC game rental back? I mean afterall...the "piracy" of renting console games certainly isn't hurting console game sales, I would know because Mr. Hollenshead would tell me...and certainly NO one rents a console game or DVD in order to copy it at home.

No subject
Jan 30, 2007, 14:10
No subject Jan 30, 2007, 14:10
Jan 30, 2007, 14:10

So is this finally the hard proof that gamers and companies need to accept to realize that episodic gaming does not work?

If the costs were so high for the first episode, why didn't they just expand the content (at minimal cost because the assets were already created for Ep1) and make it a full fledged game for sale at a higher price point?

They're also setting a precedent that "If it doesn't sell WELL ENOUGH, we won't continue the series." Not just if it won't sell, but if it doesn't turn out like they are expecting, they'll axe the project.

This is also a game that is one of the most popular gaming genres, and also one of the more popular franchises. If this can happen here, is it any wonder that it won't work for other genres, even dsmart's Wing Commander wannabe?

It all boils down to the gaming community getting our voice out. There is no doubt it would have sold more copies had it been a complete game and marketed as such. Hopefully the companies and bean counters will finally realize this.

No subject
Jan 28, 2007, 17:44
No subject Jan 28, 2007, 17:44
Jan 28, 2007, 17:44

I think 3000AD is missing the point...

FPS games are a dime a dozen and it takes something really special, even large scale FPSs with vehicles, to stand out. I understand if the FPS genre is a cash cow, I really do, but with Quake Wars, an Operation Flashpoint sequel coming, and a host of other large scale battle FPSs, will it appeal to anyone? Will it even appeal to the diehard spacesim fans that cling to the Battlecruiser games?

Excaliber/Echo sounds interesting, but would be much better done as a licensed Battlestar Galactica game that played like the Wing Commanders of old. That's really what this game sounds like, Wing Commander. That's not necesarily a bad thing, and 3000AD can definately learn something from MS Q&A requirements, maybe if it's a decent success EA will bring Wing Commander back from the grave.

But wait...they really are missing the point...none of these are hardcore spacesims for the masochistic, is 3000AD setting out to usurp their fanatic userbase?

I guess I'm a bit disappointed. I was hoping that one day the BC series would be done right, made accessible, and made fun, but then, maybe this is the first step...

Re: No subject
Jan 20, 2007, 12:10
Re: No subject Jan 20, 2007, 12:10
Jan 20, 2007, 12:10

We know how much you love Seaman tweakboy.

Re: Release
Jan 19, 2007, 14:58
Re: Release Jan 19, 2007, 14:58
Jan 19, 2007, 14:58

"Pretty good game; though doesn't leave me hungering to log on like old eq days. Still better than anything to come out since EQ imho. Its not super easy so if ya like that stick to WoW."

LOL! Nice edits to insert a jab about WoW.

So in other words...If you hate WoW now that they removed tedious and pointless grinds with Burning Crusade, Vanguard is the game for you!

No subject
Jan 19, 2007, 14:48
No subject Jan 19, 2007, 14:48
Jan 19, 2007, 14:48

Going gold right when the major competition is topping the sales charts with an expansion and you've spent about a month in open beta...lol!

Has anyone else noticed Vanguard is selling their "Collector's Edition" for $100? SOE is either ballsy or stupid, I'll wager on the latter.

No subject
Jan 13, 2007, 13:49
No subject Jan 13, 2007, 13:49
Jan 13, 2007, 13:49

It sucks that EQ is getting ships, sailing, and ship to ship combat and not WoW. I LOVE the concept but EQ is just such a crummy game to actually play. Oh well I guess we'll have Pirates of the Burning Sea.

No subject
Jan 10, 2007, 18:10
No subject Jan 10, 2007, 18:10
Jan 10, 2007, 18:10

what.the.fuck...

Wasn't this game being hyped as having free online play like GuildWars? As I understood it, the multiplayer wasn't any more massive than Diablo MP was...

Seriously...wtf is going on here?

No subject
Jan 5, 2007, 13:16
No subject Jan 5, 2007, 13:16
Jan 5, 2007, 13:16

Obscuro's mod only came about because the vast majority of loyal PC fans of the Elder Scrolls series hated the changes made to the game so it would be more console friendly. Looks at most of the early changes, it was all UI, level "scaling", removal of cheats on the compass, and all sorts of other things the devs thought would be gee whiz handy for consolers who can't be bothered with figuring things out for themselves or taking their time playing through a game.

No subject
Jan 5, 2007, 11:15
No subject Jan 5, 2007, 11:15
Jan 5, 2007, 11:15

Why not call it World of Grand Theft Autocraft? Might as well, since they not only seem to enjoy ripping off game concepts but names as well.

Dec 2, 2006, 13:44
Re: No subject Dec 2, 2006, 13:44
Dec 2, 2006, 13:44

"Oh, that's right, VHS didn't exist before DVDs for that to have previously been a probable cause -- try again."

Most movie theaters in even smaller sized cities today charge $7-8 per adult for a movie. If you take a date/SO you're paying as much as it would cost to just purchase the movie on DVD. Add to that problem that DVD rentals can run $1-5.

When VHS was king, movies were a LOT cheaper to go to. And two tickets were no where near to price of a movie.

This comment was edited on Dec 2, 13:45.

No subject
Nov 4, 2006, 13:38
No subject Nov 4, 2006, 13:38
Nov 4, 2006, 13:38

Juiced 2: Oh Please Let it Die!

Re: Shadowrun
Oct 20, 2006, 19:26
Re: Shadowrun Oct 20, 2006, 19:26
Oct 20, 2006, 19:26

"How is it this game became a first person shooter???
I remember this as a cyber-punk rpg back in the day."

It was also a fantastic CRPG on the Genesis system, which I still play to this day on my PSP.

It's sad to see it wont be an RPG this time, especially not one to challenge the likes of KotOR, Oblivion, and several other fantastic contemporary CRPGs.

It could still make for an interesting FPS I suppose, perhaps FPSers are a "sure thing" but I think its the industry mislabelling gamers. I think the wide majority of people buying these games have the intelligence, and want, to experience a game with an interactive story. Why would the success of KotOR, Morrowind, Oblivion, etc be so widespread not just to the PC audience but to consolers as well?

"That debate was settled years ago. When this game comes out, if any actual Shadowrun fans even buy it. We'll see it settled again. I forsee a lot of whiny console players in our future."

I agree, and its funny because most console FPSs feature aiming help, something that purists would ban for cheating in PC FPS matches. However, it remains to be seen, but I think the Wii remote just might finally come close to the precision that PC gamers have enjoyed for years.

This comment was edited on Oct 20, 19:32.

Oct 20, 2006, 19:21
Re: No subject Oct 20, 2006, 19:21
Oct 20, 2006, 19:21

"I know Bloodlines is the sequel to Redemption, was it worth playing too? I wish Troika was still around to make a sequel to Bloodlines itself and maybe make the Kuei-Jin a playable class as I really liked them as a bad guy in BL"

Actually no, Bloodlines was never a sequel to Redemption. Redemption was only redeeming for its multiplayer RolePlaying saloons and all the community support that got, see the World of Darkness mod. Other than that, I was very disappointed by the single player (Which featured you cast into the "role" of a male vampire in a static plot, which as a female player and considering the games robust character creation system, was quite disappointing)

If there is still a large online RP community, I would say go for it, if not, then leave it to rest in torpor.

And yes...I'd love to see a Troika sequel to Bloodlines. But I doubt there would be even if Troika was still around now that White Wolf has killed off VtM as we know it and replaced it with WoD "lite".

This comment was edited on Oct 20, 19:22.

Re: Best Star Trek Games
Sep 5, 2006, 23:12
Re: Best Star Trek Games Sep 5, 2006, 23:12
Sep 5, 2006, 23:12

They also seemed to forget Klingon Academy, as well as Starfleet Academy, both were exceptional captiol ship sims before Bridge Commander came in to fruition.

As much fun as the original Elite Forces was, EF2 was just too "bizarro" to get into. The biggest disparity was the weaponry. Everything was "Quakified" which severely took away from the "Star Trek" feeling. BFGs are all fun and good in Quake, but they have no real place in Star Trek.

Hopefully Perpetual's MMO wont get quakified either, as the real time, FPS combat as well as ship board combat sounds very exciting. Hopefully they'll add in enough animated emotes and fun non-combat places to go to keep us roleplayers content.

Left Behind, in my toilet.
Aug 31, 2006, 15:06
Left Behind, in my toilet. Aug 31, 2006, 15:06
Aug 31, 2006, 15:06

"Maybe even the whole "left behind" series is the clever work of The Prince of Lies... hmmm."

No, it's the clever work of the Prince of Crap.

This comment was edited on Aug 31, 15:06.

Re: This is living
Aug 31, 2006, 12:55
Re: This is living Aug 31, 2006, 12:55
Aug 31, 2006, 12:55

I LOL'd.

As much as I am looking forward to the PS3, this slogan just screams decadence.

Pretty soon, terrorists will start bombing us because they can't afford to live the PS3 lifestyle like Westerners can.

I actually sort like the slogan, in an 80s rocker excess sort of way. You know, the sort of excess that leaves you dead in a pool of your own vomit with blood streaming from your nose and your estate left with nothing because you spent it all on drugs, alchohol, and fast cars.

I do have to say though, the Spiderman font of the "Playstation 3" is in quite a big contrast with the big balloony clown letters of the slogan.

Oh and remember, Genesis DOES what NintenDON'T!

Re: Anything for a buck
Aug 31, 2006, 12:17
Re: Anything for a buck Aug 31, 2006, 12:17
Aug 31, 2006, 12:17

My biggest complaint with this nonsense is that, unlike Anarchy Online, these games are being presented to us neither free or at low cost. In other entertainment media, advertisements help make the content cheaper, or even free, to users. This is setting a horrible example that, although we pipe our games full of ads you, the end user, still get to pay full price and have no say whatsoever in choosing to display them or not.

731 Comments. 37 pages. Viewing page 36.
Newer [  1    22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  37  ] Older