Descending
Limit Results:

11 Comments. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: On GTA IV PC DRM
Nov 29, 2008, 04:12
Re: On GTA IV PC DRM Nov 29, 2008, 04:12
Nov 29, 2008, 04:12

I'm going to post another response, as DRM saddens me enough to do so. This is to Rockstar's marketing division, they can build a profile with it.

I'm 30+, earn £25K, have a kid, a house. I don't need to pirate games, I have money enough spare to fritter on things like: GTA IV, Bioshock, or other PC games, if I'm interested in them. I'm not an obsessive gamer, but I do buy occasionally. I'm basically a variant on what was once called, "the 40 quid man."

If I learn of DRM shenanigans, I get put off enough that I will not buy said game. I don't *need* to play the game, so I don't run off to Piratebay or wherever, however I would probably have bought it if it wasn't for the anti-DRM talk surrounding your release.

I'm not completely sold on options like Steam et al...yet, however the same anti-DRM sentiment applies there also. For the moment, I'd rather I had a DVD, packed full of value, that I can install *whenever* and *however* I like.

I consider myself a mature gamer (as in old), but would still buy PC games if the terms were OK. I also consider myself fairly techy/geeky, which is where my anti-DRM stance comes in. I repeat, I don't have a problem paying for this stuff, I just object to being treated like a criminal for the pleasure of buying your project.

If Rockstar's marketing division still think I'm a profile not worth catering for, that's fine, I won't be buying the game. More time to spend hacking in Rails.

Re: On GTA IV PC DRM
Nov 28, 2008, 19:20
Re: On GTA IV PC DRM Nov 28, 2008, 19:20
Nov 28, 2008, 19:20

agree about PC gaming being dead, to me at least. I've been gaming since about Monkey Island days, I still like PC games, but this DRM/install_junk stuff puts me off massively, each and every time. Between Steam and this junk on Discs, it's a race between the evil of two lessers.

Rockstar, you lost a sale. Bravo.

disclaimer, I have a Wii, so I'm not running off to TuxGames or anything. Although I do use Linux as well...

Re: ...
Sep 28, 2006, 15:34
Re: ... Sep 28, 2006, 15:34
Sep 28, 2006, 15:34

Magic Pockets!!! Man, my sisters and I played that game to death. We would even do a stupid dance when the music started, booming out the tinny monitor speaker. Betty "mime" Boo, if I remember (and I do.)

Well, why stop at them two? Do the lot.

Re: MODS
Aug 5, 2006, 03:26
Re: MODS Aug 5, 2006, 03:26
Aug 5, 2006, 03:26

does it mean that Svencoop2 can now carry on. The "broken SDK" issue has been plaguing them since...a while back.

Coop?
Jul 27, 2006, 04:06
Coop? Jul 27, 2006, 04:06
Jul 27, 2006, 04:06

If this expansion allows team play with AI, I'll maybe consider buying it.

If it allows team play with mates, I'll strongly consider buying it.

If it allows team play with mates, as well as improving the SDK to encourage modders to experiment with coop, and encourage modifying the original game to be coop, they have the sale. This would be before a single screenshot was posted.

So long as they don't throw in extra added value like Starforce, they have a customer. I quite liked the original, however I do agree with most that it was boring and unimaginative in places, and it played the one trick pony a bit too long. Fortunate then, that the trick was a damn good one.

Re: New professions
Jul 19, 2006, 03:40
Re: New professions Jul 19, 2006, 03:40
Jul 19, 2006, 03:40

I'll come clean, I'm not a MMO guru. Not at all. I've also got not much interest in the others in the field (WoW for example). A friend recommended GW to me, as a change from the FPS rut I was in, and I really liked the laid back pace, the exploration and satisfying progression. Plus, it was an easy way to get coop action with chums, as this seems to be on a par with quantum mechanics for FPS devs.

This term "grinding" seems too negative a term to me, but then maybe this is my subjectivity talking. What you see as, what I presume from the inflection, a chore, I see as progression. Conversely, I get not real sense of progression from the PvP aspects of the game.

Maybe Anet want a different audience than me, maybe they will get that audience as well. However, unless some sort of effort is given to the PvE aspect of the game, I'm probably going to have to pass this time around.

Re: New professions
Jul 18, 2006, 12:17
Re: New professions Jul 18, 2006, 12:17
Jul 18, 2006, 12:17

yup, hardly thrilling.

Anet, please:

Spruce up the game a bit. How's about more voice acting and the subtitle popups off by default? Still allow them for people with related disabilities naturally.

Lvl20 again? Please, no. Speak with Mensa, have a 'brain dump' but please please please work out some way so that we can take our lvl20 characters up to lvl40. There was a distinct lack of motivation in Factions, and the progression from a nobody to a lvl20 dude was the most satisfying part of original GW.

Make sorting out teams easier. I mean, c'mon, it can take longer than the quests themselves. I walk into a town, I check my quest list. I select a quest. An icon appears over the heads of all players who have this quest to do also. I now know who to invite instead of spamming the chat. Is that really so hard?

Stop with the artificial barriers to exploration. I can't go into an outpost because I haven't spoken to some dude? Or is it, I can't go into this outpost because if you do then you can do the mission and that would stuff things up. Why not make it so that you can go wherever you want, but the actual quests only open up after you've met certain people/done things, etc. I used to quite enjoy just taking a team out and exploring. No quest, or mission, just checking out locales I'd never seen before, just for the heck of it. Why not make some awesome market place be available in these far flung places? A reward for those who venture out a bit.

If "Nightfall" is going to be another Factions but set in <insert cultural history and architecture to approriate>, then I'll pass. If it's going to bring something genuinly new and satisfying to the table, you'll get my sale, but Factions was a big let down.

Lady Archer R/N20, Mista Kurtz Mo/N20

Re: That's brilliant
Jul 1, 2006, 15:26
Re: That's brilliant Jul 1, 2006, 15:26
Jul 1, 2006, 15:26

I must admit, I'm quite unthrilled by Factions. Where Guild Wars (original) was a breath of fresh air compared to the FPS ennui I was in, they (Anet) have managed to drop the ball massively with Factions.

It's a shame, as I *really* liked Guild Wars, but Factions is a dull, contrived slog, going through the motions while Anet make those areas last as long as they can, and make you revisit them as much as you can endure, and generally reduce the exploratory aspect in favour of shunting you along the storyline.

Forming a party is still a chore and seems to take longer than the missions themeselves. I'd say quests, but getting folks to join you on those is even more remote. This could be done better, it could be simpler, it could be trying to encourage you to meet people with similar quests. It could even highlight players with same quests as yourself...(massive hint Anet!)

The balance between accomodating the previous batch of players and the new players has been handled badly. As a "local" you are rushed to level 20, then it's: buy skills, do quests, go back here, buy a few more skills, repeat. The progression to level 20 was *so* much more satisfying in Guild Wars than Factions. However, it's hard to see what they could have done about it, and it doesn't really bode well for future packs.

Because of the above, it feels like each species got a ramp up of level and pack quota, just so the folk arriving from Tyria weren't too bored by the seeming easiness. Too often it feels like one oppresive horde after another, rather than packs. Yes, this was basically the original system, but it feels like a chore this time around.

To summarise, yes it sounds like a moan, but it's only because I actually *really* liked the original, and seeing Factions make, what I consider a hamfist of it, is sad.

Re: ... Good Mods?
Jul 1, 2006, 02:05
Re: ... Good Mods? Jul 1, 2006, 02:05
Jul 1, 2006, 02:05

Slighlty tardy, I admit

There's a Coop MOD. As the forums tend to get all gooey about coop, I figured it would be worth a mention.

http://z4.invisionfree.com/FEAR_COOP/index.php?

Nope, not a dev. I just like Coop. Such a rare thing

(edit: typo)

This comment was edited on Jul 1, 02:06.

Re: No subject
Mar 12, 2006, 19:07
Re: No subject Mar 12, 2006, 19:07
Mar 12, 2006, 19:07

ummm, I am boycotting it. That was my post. I'm fed up to the teeth with their crap. Show me the products that do not have the crap as part of the install, and you have a customer.

Re: Well Well!
Mar 12, 2006, 18:51
Re: Well Well! Mar 12, 2006, 18:51
Mar 12, 2006, 18:51

I emailed the most sane* contact I could to ask about StarForce/Securom/etc on Call of Cthulhu. I'm not buying if it has it on. No reply yet, and I'm not expecting one. So, no sale.

Ubisoft, it's this simple. Your anti-piracy measures have turned a paying customer against you. Send whatever Harvard business school grads it takes to conceptualise this point into something that makes sense to you, but really, do it soon. You have some great games but I don't want a load of hackish software on my PC. Why would I?

* "Sane" is about the closest email contact I could get. They don't like dealing with users unless it's via the forums.

11 Comments. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older