Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for bigspender

Real Name bigspender   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname bigspender
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description no co-op = no purchase
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 7, 2006, 02:54
Total Comments 1172 (Pro)
User ID 24495

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
22. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 29, 2016, 07:51 bigspender

jdreyer wrote on Aug 29, 2016, 07:04:
- Can provide a morale boost to ground troops. Watch this video. Hear the involuntary expressions of joy and relief. 'Nuff said.

"Happy Brrrt Day " haha I love it

I pretty much cheer like that everytime I fire the GAU-8 in DCS
too

jdreyer wrote on Aug 29, 2016, 07:04:

As far as Iglas and Strelas go, they are dangerous. However, there is technology to deal with these. The vid (which I can't find now) is pretty awesome, with the SAM going right for the plane until it suddenly starts wiggling all over the place.

So someone finally found a use for those nuisance laser pointers

This comment was edited on Aug 29, 2016, 08:01.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 29, 2016, 05:51 bigspender

jdreyer wrote on Aug 29, 2016, 04:33:
bigspender wrote on Aug 28, 2016, 23:52:

I'm only guessing, but I would say that their line of thinking is that even a small country can potentially buy advanced Russian or Chinese technology. While we are almost free to bomb right now, it would only take ISIS to buy some 80s-90s soviet tech from an ex-soviet country to completely change the game.
Because that worked out so well for Iraq during Desert Storm and Iraqi Freedom?

OK yeah fair point in the end it didn't make a whole lot of difference, but it changes the game in terms of cost, time, and the way missions were approached.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2016, 23:52 bigspender

Vall Forran wrote on Aug 28, 2016, 21:49:
I tend to agree with the "why more fighters question?" Russia and China are bypassing jets and focusing on missiles that cannot be detected. I read an article where US admirals have laughed it off because the range of the missiles isn't very far.

Our existing fighters can wreck the shit out of Afghanistan. I don't really see the USA having sorties with other first world tech countries.

I'm only guessing, but I would say that their line of thinking is that even a small country can potentially buy advanced Russian or Chinese technology. While we are almost free to bomb right now, it would only take ISIS to buy some 80s-90s soviet tech from an ex-soviet country to completely change the game.

Some countries also have large arsenals of less sophisticated aircraft, the best way to counter that is not with another large airforce and have a fair fight where each side has similar losses, but rather a technological advantage where one friendly plane is capable of taking out 10 enemies. Moral and public support comes into it as well. Right now it's not an issue, but I'm thinking of in terms of something like WW1 where other countries got dragged into the conflict.

The "undetectable missiles" is a very good reason to develop stealth technology on the planes. Because if you can't see a missile coming, then it's best not to be fired on at all.

The F-35 has a similar thing too, where the radar randomly changes it's frequency, so that the enemy plane does not detect a radar pattern, and therefore doesn't know it's being locked onto (the radar on the plane guides the missile most of the way to the enemy). So for the an enemy, the first sign of conflict will be when the wingmen start exploding At least that's the theory.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2016, 20:54 bigspender

Cutter wrote on Aug 28, 2016, 18:06:
Why do you even need fighter jets or bombers anymore with missiles and drones? They're a lot less costly to design, develop, fly/use, and maintain.

And you can fly them from your home country! Just drive to work like a normal job. That's so strange, but really cool.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2016, 20:36 bigspender

jdreyer wrote on Aug 28, 2016, 13:02:
RoboNerd wrote on Aug 28, 2016, 11:49:
Re: Lockheed Could “Fail to Deliver” F-35 Capabilities on Time.

I vote for killing off this turkey and building more A-10s. Salute2

Lesson learned: build the plane for the mission, and stop with the Swiss army knives already.

It does seem like a bad idea, because we're used to thinking with the "Jack of all trades, master of none".
But just about all planes currently in service, have been turned into Swiss army knives to keep them in service. So it makes a lot of sense that any new plane would be a multi-role plane from the ground up, instead of making it mission specific, like the A-10, F-14, F-16, F-15 and then retro-fitting them with multi-role capabilities to keep them relevant over their lifespans. It's not only more engineering, logistic and maintenance, but also pilot training time as well, when you keep adding on bits and pieces.

Where as the F-35 has all of these systems are integrated with a consistent pilot experience, meaning less training, fewer logistics issues and costs with spare parts etc. They've done the hard work up front, instead of having to go back to the drawing board every half decade to add bits on, and retrain pilots.

The F/A-18's were also built as Swiss army knives from the ground up, and nobody complains about them now. Although I think they did initially way back when, for the same reasons, it didn't go as fast, shoot as far, have as many weapons etc. It did have trade-offs. However with the F-35 it doesn't really have any trade offs - as far as I'm aware it does everything better than the current set of aircraft - apart from stealth. (It's less stealthy than the B-2's and F-22's, but these have their own set of maintenance issues, like climate controlled hangers, and other trade offs such as B-2's usually have to fly at night)

I guess the F/A-18s didn't go 10 years over time and over budget though haha!

Don't get me wrong, the F-35's development has been a complete farce which is no surprise with the cocky asshat manufacturer, but I think the plane, once finished will be very capable, assuming of course it does things how it's supposed to.(It's definitely got some issues, but all military aircraft have teething issues) Feel free to prove me wrong, I'm not an F-35 fanboy(despite how it might sound lol) so happy to read more about it, but everything I've read about the F-35's problems so far seem to be sensationalist, or simply inaccurate. E.g. when they reported it was less maneuverable than current fighters, it wasn't even a maneuverability test, despite what the headlines said. Or you have Pierre Sprey saying that the wings are too small to generate lift, because he doesn't understand that a lot of the lift on the F-35 is generated by the body as well. And so on.

It would have definitely been cheaper to create completely separate and mission specific aircraft in the short term, no doubt. But you lose all of the flexibility. With a multi-role plane you have all of your fighters, bombers, SEAD, CAS etc everywhere all the time, at every airbase.

This comment was edited on Aug 28, 2016, 20:57.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2016, 19:50 bigspender

RoboNerd wrote on Aug 28, 2016, 11:49:
Re: Lockheed Could “Fail to Deliver” F-35 Capabilities on Time.

I vote for killing off this turkey and building more A-10s. Salute2

I thought the same thing because I thought the loiter capability was a useful thing. Upon reading more about it, it turns out the A-10's already drop only a small percentage of the bombs.

Most of the close air support is performed by fast moving jets like the F-16, F-15E etc, since they are able to respond much, much, much faster. These fast movers also have ground radar, so target identification is easier - try finding a Shilka in the middle of a suburb with your eyeballs or purely optical means, it's quite tedious and time consuming.

And if loitering is required then it's performed better by helicopters and drones, since they can both loiter for longer, but helicopters also provide sustained fire power without having spend 30-60 seconds turning around for another pass.

The A-10 is also quite vulnerable to man-portable infrared missile systems like IGLA's or stingers. Where as a fast moving jet fly's out their effective height range and/or at such speeds that by the time someone has aimed and and fired a shoulder mounted missile, and by the time the missile gets to the right altitude, the fast jet will be out of range.

I love the A-10, I've probably got 500hrs in it as a virtual pilot in DCS. But it has a very specific set of circumstances where it becomes the most effective aircraft to use.

News Comments > Halo 5: Forge PC Specs
14. Re: Halo 5: Forge PC Specs Aug 27, 2016, 18:06 bigspender

Let me get this straight.

I can make maps on my PC for a game I can't play?

WTF?

News Comments > Duke Nukem Countdown
22. Re: Duke Nukem Countdown Aug 26, 2016, 00:25 bigspender

SlimRam wrote on Aug 26, 2016, 00:10:
Polygon seems to think it's a Duke Nukem 3D remaster! I say,"You wanna dance?"

Yes, yes I do INDEED!

That would be alright. The levels really innovative, well at least for the time.

11. Re: Duke Nukem Countdown Aug 25, 2016, 20:43 bigspender

The Half Elf wrote on Aug 25, 2016, 20:07:
bigspender wrote on Aug 25, 2016, 19:40:
Maybe it's a count down to when everyone involved will die in a bus accident.

The problem is the passengers/employee's of the DNF bus had no control of the person driving the bus.

The lucky ones jumped out the window

8. Re: Duke Nukem Countdown Aug 25, 2016, 19:40 bigspender

Maybe it's a count down to when everyone involved will die in a bus accident.  

News Comments > PlayStation Now Coming to PCs
24. Re: PlayStation Now Coming to PCs Aug 23, 2016, 20:12 bigspender

do these streaming services have much input lag ?  

News Comments > Tekken 7 4K Footage
3. Re: Tekken 7 4K Footage Aug 23, 2016, 06:45 bigspender

Ozmodan wrote on Aug 22, 2016, 23:04:
I was at Microcenter the other day and their 4k monitors were all over 1000. A lot of these 4k TV's have low refresh times too, so a good 4k tv is still well over 1000 too.

I won't get excited about any 4k display until the prices come down more. So doing 4k in a game is not something I have any interest in atm.

Yeah I don't think I'd be able to play a game at under 100hz these days. Especially an FPS.

The other thing is I've found too, that you unless you get a +32"size screen maybe even 40" then you don't get as much out of the resolution too.

Not to mention nothing can actually games at 120 or 144hz.

So yeah it's going to be a while.

News Comments > DCS: Bf 109 K-4 Kurfürst Takes Off
8. Re: DCS: Bf 109 K-4 Kurfürst Takes Off Aug 21, 2016, 03:11 bigspender

BTW for all of you Oculus or Vive users, I hear DCS is one the best VR experiences you can have.  

News Comments > DCS: Bf 109 K-4 Kurfürst Takes Off
3. Re: hmm Aug 20, 2016, 20:56 bigspender

intermarer wrote on Aug 20, 2016, 17:33:
Now if only they'd make some content to actually use all the planes with. Sometimes that does not require 15+ years sim experience

There are several things you can enable to make DCS more like a game if you just want to enjoy the planes and action.

You can turn on game-mode physics, avionics, and turn on labels. Most of the planes also have a "auto start-up" key combo as well. And for these prop-planes you can also enable auto-rudder to combat the prop-torque and such to make take off easy.

I hear there is a WW2 Normandy map coming out soon too, to give all of the WW2 planes some context.

Personally I'm waiting for the F/A-18C to come out at the end of the year. It's more sci-fi than anything from any actual sci-fi game.

News Comments > Deus Ex Mankind Divided Reviews
61. Re: Deus Ex Mankind Divided Reviews Aug 20, 2016, 05:31 bigspender

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Aug 20, 2016, 02:54:
Quboid wrote on Aug 19, 2016, 15:09:

The business has changed, for the worse, but the nature of reviews - that they have always been subjective - and therefore critic scores (your original point, which Beamer correctly read) have always been effectively useless.

The nature of reviews indeed has always been subjective. I could even point out the nature of how they've gotten worse and moved from subjective to carrying a political/social agenda and reviewers bombing games because they don't fit into their tidy worldview of anyone who doesn't agree is a racist/sexist/etc. But effectively useless? No. If you find a reviewer that shares a similar PoV, chances are it's not useless to you.

If on the other hand you find a reviewer that's whining because there's some cleavage and that offends their sensibilities and they tank it on that. Or they whine that there's too much water and tank it on that, it's useless right from the start.

Cheers.

For anyone who is young though, the great crash of videogame mags in the 90's should be a interesting bit of history. Many of the things you're seeing now with reviewers happened in the past, including the paid shilling, non-paid shilling of a buddy-buddies game, the whining that xyz thing is sexist/racist so don't buy it. And here's the 15 reasons why you shouldn't buy it. This time, much like last time, there's a replacement. In the 90's those mags were pushed out by the fad known as the internet and gaming sites. This time, they're being displaced by youtubers as they continue to push their bullshit. And while new sites pop-up to replace those shitty ones, the marketshare for eyes decreases as people continue to look for new places mainly videos for reviews. Something they can create a podcast for and listen to the drive in the morning or when they're hitting the gym.

Anyway, it seems to me that it's more along the lines of spoilers. Since a lot of people complained about the boss fights, there really aren't any this time around. I suppose we'll see in what? 3 days? I didn't pay for my copy getting it as a gift from my sister, but hell I'm looking forward to it.

Elements of reviews are subjective sure. Such as how much you enjoy the game. But there are elements that are completely objective as well, and they tend to be important. Such as quality issues. If a game is crashing for everyone, or the graphics are bad then it doesn't really matter who is doing the review.

News Comments > Deus Ex Mankind Divided Reviews
60. Re: Deus Ex Mankind Divided Reviews Aug 20, 2016, 05:23 bigspender

ugh this looks so clunky.  

News Comments > Ghost Recon Wildlands Character & Weapon Customization
12. Re: Ghost Recon Wildlands Character & Weapon Customization Aug 18, 2016, 20:11 bigspender

Osc8r wrote on Aug 18, 2016, 19:03:
The Half Elf wrote on Aug 18, 2016, 10:48:
NamecaF wrote on Aug 18, 2016, 10:07:
The Half Elf wrote on Aug 18, 2016, 09:53:
Please don't suck.

I was really hoping this wouldnt suck too, but if this is anything to go by you can kiss that hope good bye.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWDQqI9JeIE

The guy is a bit of a whiner. He has some valid arguments but also a few that aren't. For example the whole 'bike/chair' thing. The guy is moving forward, switches to aimed 1st person view, is still moving while shooting. Hence why he's closer to the bike. We've been able to aim and move in games for how long now?

Have a look again, there is something odd going on - as soon as he switches to first person view he's like 5 metres closer to his target instantly.

Could be just some more ubi-editing.

I was interested in the game because of co-op, but yeah, the game looks nothing like the initial gameplay marketing bs.

Good old ubisoft still up to their old tricks.

There is something really cheap and weird about this game. I can't quite figure out what is, so I'm just going to say it's got a 'ubisoft quality' to it for now.

It's not what I'd expect from a Tom Clancy game. This is almost a party game.

News Comments > Metal Gear Survive Announced
26. Re: Metal Gear Survive Announced Aug 18, 2016, 08:25 bigspender

Numinar wrote on Aug 18, 2016, 02:10:
I got a bit bored of TPP before the end, but it seems crying out for co-op. Like an awesome arcade version of ARMA, some good tech there.

Absolutely. One person could be marking targets from afar another, covering with a silenced sniper rifle, and another person sneaking in....with a box

It'd be really fun.

News Comments > Metal Gear Survive Announced
22. Re: Metal Gear Survive Announced Aug 17, 2016, 20:12 bigspender

If this plays like exactly MGSV but with co-op and zombies. I'm in (for the coop, not so much the zombies).

MGSV is a fantastic game. Although the first level goes a bit weird.

I don't mind that Kojima isn't involved. Hopefully that means most of the game will be gameplay and not cutscenes.

News Comments > Evening Previews
1. Re: Evening Previews Aug 15, 2016, 21:55 bigspender

Why would you take a grim, dark fantasy sci-fi game, and then make the graphics and animations cartoony?

faaaaaaaaark.

1172 Comments. 59 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo