Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for bigspender

Real Name bigspender   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname bigspender
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description no co-op = no purchase
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 7, 2006, 02:54
Total Comments 1115 (Pro)
User ID 24495

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
2. Re: Sunday Mobilization Jul 17, 2016, 17:30 bigspender

Saboth wrote on Jul 17, 2016, 14:39:
Land of the free, home of the brave. Everyone's so terrified that someone parked in a public street talking in their car is cause to
run out and threaten them with a gun. The guy said the kids tried to run him over.
1. If true, I think they have a right since they were being threatened with a gun.
2. If not true, then he simply ran out and started shooting at people on the street because he was afraid.

Sounds like the gun owner was looking for an excuse to use his gun or to be a hero/tough guy.

Surely using something lethal like a gun for protection, can only be done so when a life is in danger?

Even if adults were stealing everything in his home, he doesn't have the right to kill them if his life is not in danger or at risk of any injury right? Although I guess it seems like in the US it's gotten to the point where you want to shoot first since everyone has guns. What a debacle.

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront Rogue One & Darth Vader VR Game Revealed
14. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Rogue One & Darth Vader VR Game Revealed Jul 17, 2016, 17:02 bigspender

I wonder if this has a hidden dancing game which is more fleshed out than the real game.....lol  

News Comments > Battlefield 1 Air Combat Video
8. Re: Battlefield 1 Air Combat Video Jul 6, 2016, 20:18 bigspender

Battlefield 3 was the one burned me out, I barely played it. But this is looking quite fun and has a tiny bit of that wacky fun to it that the original 1942 had.

The others seems to have taken themselves a bit too seriously, but this looks fun.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
22. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 27, 2016, 17:32 bigspender

Eat Your Broccoli: Phenolic Compounds Found In Cruciferous Vegetables Are About To Get A Lot Healthier.

Don't put any oil on your veges like the article suggests. It completely negates the health factor.

Putting olive oil all over your veges is the equivalent of smoking cigarettes to increase the nicotine content in capsicums/peppers.

News Comments > Shadow Warrior 2 E3 Trailer
6. Re: Shadow Warrior 2 E3 Trailer Jun 25, 2016, 20:25 bigspender

Not very good footage, but the game looks super fun.  

News Comments > Natural Selection 2 Updates Video
6. Re: Natural Selection 2 Updates Video Jun 25, 2016, 20:21 bigspender

Does anyone play it though? A year ago NS2 barely had one full server in my region :S

News Comments > System Shock Remaster Becomes a Reboot
5. Re: System Shock Remaster Becomes a Reboot Jun 24, 2016, 20:18 bigspender

I guess the demo will tell us what we're in for. It could be either a good or bad decision at this stage. It'll be all in the execution.  

News Comments > Star Trek: Bridge Crew Announcement
6. Re: Star Trek: Bridge Crew Announcement Jun 13, 2016, 22:03 bigspender

Great idea, but this just looks terrible.  

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 12, 2016, 19:06 bigspender

I thought it was funny how there is a grossness warning on that poor dog, because that's pretty much what most factory farmed food looks like.....

Glad Professor is feeling better though

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 12, 2016, 01:29 bigspender

crypto wrote on Jun 11, 2016, 20:57:
Larger Wine Glasses May Increase Alcohol Consumption Without You Realizing.

I needed to increase my alcohol consumption so I bought larger wine glasses, but it is very possible that I have not realised the increase yet.

I hope it's red wine. It's the only one that has enough anti-oxidants to some what offset the carcinogenic effects of alcohol

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
7. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jun 5, 2016, 21:04 bigspender

Steam machines - being released around the same time as their own Vive VR HMD, and the steam machines aren't powerful enough to support it.

DEEEEEEEEEERP.

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
1. Re: Hardware Reviews Jun 1, 2016, 23:06 bigspender

I'll never understand overclocking. At best it's 20% increase in performance. Going from 30 FPS 36 FPS. It's still crappy frame rate.

And on the high end of the scale getting 130FPS vs 150FPS. meh 130 is plenty.

I guess if you are struggling to maintain a consistant 60fps and overclocking guarantees you that you're always over 60, then I suppose it might be worthwhile.

13. Re: Out of the Blue May 30, 2016, 18:19 bigspender

Mr. Tact wrote on May 30, 2016, 14:33:
It will take thousands of years to eliminate religion, at a minimum -- it might not be possible at all. Zoos however, will probably be gone in a couple of generations.

I say we put all the religious people into zoos. Problem solved.

12. Re: Out of the Blue May 30, 2016, 18:07 bigspender

Cpmartins wrote on May 30, 2016, 17:57:
Most fighter pilots are badasses. You kind of have to be to get in one in the first place.
+1 Pretty sure the first two questions are "are you a badass?" and "are you at the top of the list of badasses" when you apply for any pilot position in a defense force.

30. Re: Out of the Blue May 25, 2016, 18:38 bigspender

Is VR still just a bunch of Wii style games? If so, I don't think any type of surgery is worth it.  

23. Re: Out of the Blue May 24, 2016, 21:46 bigspender

Sigh, that breakfast article.....

How can you not be hungry after not eating for 13hrs? (assuming you had dinner at 6pm and wake up at 7am)

There is also quite a lot of research backing up the theory (and hey you can test it yourself pretty easily too) that if you don't eat regularly you crave high fat, high sugar, (and processed) foods.

No, breakfast isn't magical but it's a good time to refill your glycogen stores so you can function properly.

The reason why breakfast-less children do poorly at school is because the brain needs carbs to work. The whole body runs on glucose. So get in your high quality carbs in the morning. Like oats, (brown) rice, potatoes, (wholemeal) pancakes or bread, and all sorts of fruits. They'll keep you full and satisfied until lunch time, and you won't be craving anything bad for you.

(I think I've typed out 1/2 of "The Starch Solution" here in the last 10 weeks lol)

I love a smoothie for breakfast, some kind of berries, an orange, cinnamon, vanilla extract, spoon of flaxmeal, walnuts, oats, and enough soy milk to make it liquidy after blending. (if you aren't used to oats, don't put into many until you get used to the taste). If available I put in a leaf or two of kale, you don't notice it's in there taste wise if you don't go overboard (otherwise it tastes like grass).

It takes 1 minute to make, you throw it all into a blender and press a button and you're having something that tastes like dessert for breakfast.

Keeps me completely full for about 2 hrs, and satisfied enough that I don't think about until lunch. And if not, I'll have a banana in between if I need it.

It's the perfect all round breakfast, no cholesterol, no saturated fat, plenty of carbs to stop you from getting hungry and snacking on processed garbage. The flaxmeal has omega 3 in it to lube up those cogs in the brains
And of course the kale and soy both have iron and calcium. It's got everything you need, and nothing you don't need. (yes it has plenty of protein, 1/3 of your RDI).

24. Re: Out of the Blue May 23, 2016, 19:51 bigspender

double post  

23. Re: Out of the Blue May 23, 2016, 19:51 bigspender

rudra wrote on May 22, 2016, 16:20:
salt is great.. especially the real shit that still has all the trace minerals and so forth

iodized table salt is the wonderbread version

Yes but surely nobody is relying on a few grains of salt for their nutrition lol?

I'm skeptical about the Low-Salt diet article and their conclusion. The article doesn't give enough information, but it sounds like it's an observational study, which is fine for a preliminary study, but you really want an interventional study, where they can prove it both ways (by putting low salt people onto higher salt diets, and high salt people onto lower salt diets, to see if the results match, or to tease out another factor).

I'd say what might be happening here is that the low salt group might be eating processed foods with the "salt reduced!" label, which often means the salt has been replaced with something like oil, sugar or even some weird chemicals.

We don't know what the research had controls in for. Were they all alcoholics? It doesn't say. Was this research funded by the industry? Doesn't say. Those bastards do some very clever things in order to get the results they want. E.g.

A recent egg study suggested that eggs don't increase your cholesterol levels, and the results definitely indicated that it was true - BUT having a closer a look at details, it showed that all of the participants of the study already had their cholesterol at it's maximum limit, so no matter what they ate, it couldn't go up any higher. Pretty damn sneaky.

It's really hard to know what to trust. But I'd go by the rule of: Don't eat anything processed, and mostly whole plant foods(beans, greens, grains, potatoes, rice, fruits and veg etc) and you'll be fine. The reason being is that isolated individual minerals and nutrients don't really help us. There is something in the way they act in unison with the other 10's of thousands of other minerals in a whole food (e.g. a tomato) that activates them and allows the body to use them - including salt which occurs naturally in almost all food.

This comment was edited on May 23, 2016, 20:01.

22. Re: What the... May 23, 2016, 19:18 bigspender

Creston wrote on May 22, 2016, 15:58:
Star Trek Pew Pew Pew.

:\

First a trailer with "Sabotage" as the song (which is a great song, but not for Star Trek). And now we have a trailer that starts with a piano key and ends with a BWWWWWAAAAA.

There is nothing Star Trek about this.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
13. Re: Morning Consolidation May 23, 2016, 18:44 bigspender

people say 10% but in reality that translates to what 6 or 7 fps extra? what's the point.  

1115 Comments. 56 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo