Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for bigspender

Real Name bigspender   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname bigspender
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description no co-op = no purchase
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 7, 2006, 02:54
Total Comments 1172 (Pro)
User ID 24495

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Gears of War 4 Released
8. Re: Gears of War 4 Released Oct 11, 2016, 22:58 bigspender

gears of snoooooooooore

Can you even die in this game? I mean if you have an IQ over 25?

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 10, 2016, 19:26 bigspender

There aren't many new games that aren't novelty for VR.

However there are plenty of excellent simulator games that have adpoted VR support such as the updated DCS World 2.0 which just looks amazing in VR.

Parked on the runway and leaning out of your cockpit and being able to accurately comprehend how high off the ground you are sitting is a surreal experience.

Especially if you fly a helicopter mission with night vision goggles, it feels so right wearing a VR helmet.

News Comments > Prey Trailer
2. Re: Prey Trailer Oct 10, 2016, 19:20 bigspender

The bounty hunter thing was waaaaaaay cooler.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2016, 18:59 bigspender

1badmf wrote on Oct 10, 2016, 17:25:
bigspender wrote on Oct 10, 2016, 15:46:
I'm still having trouble with the Westworld after two episodes. I don't care for any of the characters because it's basically just GTA5 with androids instead of being only virtual.

So even though they play evil music when Ed Harris does his thing, it's no different than me running over the NPCs in GTA5.

It's not like they are actual conscious beings like Data from Star Trek.

Or have I completely missed something?

yeah, pretty much the entire transhumanist subtext. gta had about as much philosophy as a kick to the balls. westworld is (hopefully and so far) something far, far greater.

If it's exploring what it is to be a sentient being then it certainly has been done countless times before, so the only thing that could surprise me is if perhaps the show is a PETA awareness campaign where it ends with something like "If you feel empathy for these fictional robots and are disgusted by the humans that abuse them, why are you paying for 100+ billion sentient beings to be bred for your entertainment every year"

7. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2016, 15:46 bigspender

I'm still having trouble with the Westworld after two episodes. I don't care for any of the characters because it's basically just GTA5 with androids instead of being only virtual.

So even though they play evil music when Ed Harris does his thing, it's no different than me running over the NPCs in GTA5.

It's not like they are actual conscious beings like Data from Star Trek.

Or have I completely missed something?

22. Re: What’s the Longest Humans Can Live- 115 Years, New Study Says. Oct 7, 2016, 01:05 bigspender

Kxmode wrote on Oct 7, 2016, 00:28:
LanikTnt wrote on Oct 6, 2016, 17:43:
First thing I thought when I saw that article link was that after Moses man's days were numbered 120 years.

That is an excellent point worth noting. Thanks for sharing!

Although, if this is not too bold of me I would like to point out two corrections based on my Biblical studies.

The first is the 120 years. For context, the source of that comes from Genesis 6:3 which reads, "Then Jehovah said: 'My spirit will not tolerate man indefinitely because he is only flesh. Accordingly, his days will amount to 120 years.'" He was not placing a timestamp on man's age, but he was, in fact, saying how long he would wait until he brought the flood. (Compare 2 Peter 3:9)

The second is the man in question was Noah. The "120 years" was a judgment period Jehovah had decided to wait to give Noah enough time to raise his family, build the Ark, and warn the people of his day of the impending great flood. (Compare Matthew 24:36-39, Hebrews 11:7). Certainly, we know not many heeded his warning. Only 8 survived.

A fascinating summary of Noah's story can be found at 2 Peter 2:4-9. Specifically, in verse 4 it explains what happened to those angels who came to earth, corrupted it with their "demi-god" Nephilim children (Genesis 6:1-4) and left when the flood came.

Anyhow, I find the Bible and the study of it just as enjoyable as playing video games. It is a fascinating book filled with the events of people's lives; some good, others not so good. More than anything, it provides me with hope for a bright future when humans will not live in such wretched conditions today.

Not trying to argue. But genuinely curious if you believe in the whole Noah's Ark thing? I'm struggling to comprehend how big the boat must have been to fit so many animals onto it.
(I haven't read the bible, so wondering if it says anything about the size of the ship?)

16. Re: What’s the Longest Humans Can Live- 115 Years, New Study Says. Oct 6, 2016, 19:40 bigspender

LanikTnt wrote on Oct 6, 2016, 17:43:
. I however agree that science will likely have broken that barrier within the next 100 years. But if the way things work now is any indication I suspect only the very rich will be able to afford whatever genetic and cellular manipulation would be required for such artificial longevity.

I think so too, eventually we'll live forever, but until the science becomes a reality I'm inclined to agree with Dr.Vijg's view of: "The best hope for our species is not to extend our life spans, Dr. Vijg argues, but to lengthen our years of healthy living "

Why spend the last 30-40 years or so of your life in an arm chair, and the last 10 drooling away, when you can be young until the day you die.

When you look at someone like Dr. Neal Barnard - he's about 61 years old in this clip - he acts, moves, looks and speaks like someone that is in their early 40s https://youtu.be/BnHYHjchn6w?t=257

36. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 6, 2016, 19:12 bigspender

jdreyer wrote on Oct 6, 2016, 05:39:
bigspender wrote on Oct 6, 2016, 02:51:
I didn't "get" Westworld. Are we supposed to feel empathy for robots?

Six, Bender, K-9, Johnny-5, Robby, Marvin, B.O.B., Astro Boy, Ava, Chappie, TARS, T-800 (T2), WALL-E, Baymax, C3P0, R2D2, Iron Giant, Bishop, and Data all say "Hello."

Sure, but those are all robots programmed with a conscience.

The way I understood the show was that their robots where effectively just scripted to display emotions and events to make the robots seem like they have a conscience, rather than actually feeling it or experiencing the emotions. (But maybe their getting to that later).

29. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 6, 2016, 02:51 bigspender

I didn't "get" Westworld. Are we supposed to feel empathy for robots?  

News Comments > Ghost Recon Wildlands Stealth Video
1. Re: Ghost Recon Wildlands Stealth Video Oct 3, 2016, 20:58 bigspender

Jeopardy: What would Metal Gear Solid 5 look like if Ubisoft screwed it up?

The co-op could be interesting actually. But it just has that Ubisoft wonkiness to it.

The way the enemies act is just weird - they go from calm to SPRAYING F'ING MACHINEGUN in about .1 seconds. And they know exactly where you are instantly.

One of the things about MGS5 was the fantastic A.I. that was really fun to tease and troll.

This comment was edited on Oct 3, 2016, 21:03.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 2, 2016, 01:11 bigspender

mag wrote on Oct 1, 2016, 22:57:
Bees added to US endangered species list for the first time

Well that is pretty terrifying.

Just remember you have the power to change that. Take the time to look into products that aren't using farmed bees (which causes colony collapses).

Just like Captain Planet used to say: THE POWER IS YOURS!

18. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 1, 2016, 06:36 bigspender

jdreyer wrote on Oct 1, 2016, 01:38:
bigspender wrote on Sep 30, 2016, 20:03:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 30, 2016, 13:18:
Retired wrote on Sep 30, 2016, 12:30:
nin wrote on Sep 30, 2016, 10:55:
heroin wrote on Sep 30, 2016, 10:49:
HBO Chief Keen On "Thrones" Spin-Offs.

ME TOO

We got Luke Cage on NF, WestWorld on HBO, and I still have 4 episodes of Mr Robot this weekend...

Golden age of tv...

Just finished Daredevil season 2 last night. Very happy. Might dip into Luke Cage.

Earth CO2 levels: Have we crossed a point of no return?

Don't need to be a scientist to say yes. Don't see many frogs anymore. Don't see salamanders (haven't seen one for probably 20 years). Killing off of forests. Plastic islands. Oil disasters that never get cleaned up.

I wonder just how many more generations we will go before some major diseases start wiping us out again. I don't think it is far off. In the US, all that has to happen is a cut in our food supply. We are an on demand, just in time food distribution country. More than 96% of the people in the US wouldn't last more than 2 weeks without a grocery store, fast food, or a restaurant.....

When you've lost Bats...

Especially with China and India continuing to build coal plants, we're well and truly fucked. (In balance, China builds a lot of wind, too)

We're moving in the right direction (less driving, less coal & oil usage, more solar and wind building out, etc.) but too slowly.

And that's only 1/2 the equation too - the other 50% or is methane from animal agriculture (which is about 15% of the emissions but, methane holds 25-70 times more heat, so it's calculated to roughly 50% of the warming effect).

That's why China is making it unpopular to eat meat - even hiring James Cameron and Arnie to do PSA: https://vimeo.com/169913909

I don't think it's too late, if we can get most of the world to eat sustainable food, and use green energy and transport over the next few decades and at least stop contributing to the problem, then we'll have a good chance of getting through it. Then of course we need some kind of population control.... Soylent green anyone?

I'm a vegetarian who trends vegan and walks to work. You're preaching to the choir brother.

So that's a no on the soylent green then ?

11. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 30, 2016, 20:03 bigspender

jdreyer wrote on Sep 30, 2016, 13:18:
Retired wrote on Sep 30, 2016, 12:30:
nin wrote on Sep 30, 2016, 10:55:
heroin wrote on Sep 30, 2016, 10:49:
HBO Chief Keen On "Thrones" Spin-Offs.

ME TOO

We got Luke Cage on NF, WestWorld on HBO, and I still have 4 episodes of Mr Robot this weekend...

Golden age of tv...

Just finished Daredevil season 2 last night. Very happy. Might dip into Luke Cage.

Earth CO2 levels: Have we crossed a point of no return?

Don't need to be a scientist to say yes. Don't see many frogs anymore. Don't see salamanders (haven't seen one for probably 20 years). Killing off of forests. Plastic islands. Oil disasters that never get cleaned up.

I wonder just how many more generations we will go before some major diseases start wiping us out again. I don't think it is far off. In the US, all that has to happen is a cut in our food supply. We are an on demand, just in time food distribution country. More than 96% of the people in the US wouldn't last more than 2 weeks without a grocery store, fast food, or a restaurant.....

When you've lost Bats...

Especially with China and India continuing to build coal plants, we're well and truly fucked. (In balance, China builds a lot of wind, too)

We're moving in the right direction (less driving, less coal & oil usage, more solar and wind building out, etc.) but too slowly.

And that's only 1/2 the equation too - the other 50% or is methane from animal agriculture (which is about 15% of the emissions but, methane holds 25-70 times more heat, so it's calculated to roughly 50% of the warming effect).

That's why China is making it unpopular to eat meat - even hiring James Cameron and Arnie to do PSA: https://vimeo.com/169913909

I don't think it's too late, if we can get most of the world to eat sustainable food, and use green energy and transport over the next few decades and at least stop contributing to the problem, then we'll have a good chance of getting through it. Then of course we need some kind of population control.... Soylent green anyone?

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
1. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Sep 29, 2016, 00:38 bigspender

Make Sail looks excellent!

I hope there is a lot more to do other than sailing, but the basics already look great!

News Comments > Titanfall 2 4K Trailer
7. Re: Titanfall 2 4K Trailer Sep 28, 2016, 20:08 bigspender

It looks nice, but there is way too much shit all over the screen - UI overload.  

8. Re: Pharma Bro... Sep 28, 2016, 17:09 bigspender

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Sep 28, 2016, 15:08:
I have to assume Shkreli will back out of getting punched in the face... somebody with some training will get in there and most likely put him in the hospital or the morgue.

We should start a kickstarter to fund someone like David Haye.....

David Haye has the cure for societal cancers like Martin Shkreli literally in his hands

News Comments > Battlefield 1 Single-Player Details & Trailer
10. Re: Battlefield 1 Single-Player Details & Trailer Sep 27, 2016, 17:28 bigspender

NetHead wrote on Sep 27, 2016, 15:30:

Also that trailer seems like it has way to much drama for my liking. I'm not going to care in the least about some character because they force it so I can get "feelings" when they kill it, especially not if it's all broken down into segments where they'll be telling you how much you suddenly care about a different character.

Agreed. Waaaaay too much drama!It's a war, how much more motivation do they think you need? lol

8. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 25, 2016, 06:59 bigspender

yonder wrote on Sep 24, 2016, 20:13:
bigspender wrote on Sep 24, 2016, 18:36:
Oh that article about stress really annoyed me, but it didn't stress me out.....

TL:DR Pretty sure this "study" is an advert for McDonalds

1. They never actually tell how much of a difference stress makes. Is it even a significant amount? Why aren't there any numbers? Why aren't any studies referenced?

2. They never really mentioned whether stress was causing people to eat more food, and if that was the reason for additional plaque creation and weight gain.

3. There is no such thing as good fat when it comes to oils. All oils are a highly processed and refined product that contribute to cardiovascular disease, and weight gain. Even they're so called 'good fat' sunflower oil, while it doesn't have cholesterol so it doesn't create plaque, helps the existing plaque stick around. It also puts out the omega 6 : omega 3 ratios. And all fats/oils have 9 calories per gram (vs only 4 calories per gram of protein and carbs). So even a tiny amount means you are eating lots of extra 'empty' calories, since most of the nutrition was stripped during oil extraction.

4.The food cooked (eggs, sausage, and probably the gravy) are full of saturated fats - they themselves call 'bad fats'. So whichever oil/fat they cooked the food in would have only had a minimal effect since both meals contained significant amounts of 'bad fat'. The sunflower cooking oil meal would have had only just slightly less "bad fat".

5.Eggs, Gravy, Biscuits, Sausage is a terrible breakfast - not one of those ingredients contains any fibre..... the biscuit might have a tiny amount but it was probably made from bleached white flour which has almost no fibre left. It's a great recipe for constipation. And yes stool size and frequency is an indicator of health and predictor disease - such fun ones as colon cancer. Just like regular cancer only up your butt(sort of :)).

6. They go out of their way to link you to the McDonalds website nutritional information - Was this "study" just a sneaky way to say "good fats, bad fats doesn't matter if you're stressed, so come relax and eat at McDonalds because it's the same amount of fat and calories" ? Suspicious!

The take away from my morning ranting is:
Don't eat any fat or oil, apart from those from wholefoods such as nuts, flaxseed, avocados. And very little amounts. A handful of nuts, and a tablespoon of flaxseed contains all of the "good fats" omega 6 and omega 3, and in the correct ratio. Everything else will that is refined, or extracted or isolated will cause, contribute, or at least not alleviate disease.

Edit: my sources are from nutritionfacts.org and various books by Dr. Dean Ornish, Dr. Cadwell Esselstyn Dr. John McDougall, Dr. Neal Barnard, Dr. Michael Greger, Dr. Joel Fuhrman, Colin T. Campbell.

Heh you said fibre.

Blue: Your cooking smells delicious, as always!

I honestly did not expect someone to read that far yay lol

2. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 24, 2016, 18:36 bigspender

Oh that article about stress really annoyed me, but it didn't stress me out.....

TL:DR Pretty sure this "study" is an advert for McDonalds

1. They never actually tell how much of a difference stress makes. Is it even a significant amount? Why aren't there any numbers? Why aren't any studies referenced?

2. They never really mentioned whether stress was causing people to eat more food, and if that was the reason for additional plaque creation and weight gain.

3. There is no such thing as good fat when it comes to oils. All oils are a highly processed and refined product that contribute to cardiovascular disease, and weight gain. Even they're so called 'good fat' sunflower oil, while it doesn't have cholesterol so it doesn't create plaque, helps the existing plaque stick around. It also puts out the omega 6 : omega 3 ratios. And all fats/oils have 9 calories per gram (vs only 4 calories per gram of protein and carbs). So even a tiny amount means you are eating lots of extra 'empty' calories, since most of the nutrition was stripped during oil extraction.

4.The food cooked (eggs, sausage, and probably the gravy) are full of saturated fats - they themselves call 'bad fats'. So whichever oil/fat they cooked the food in would have only had a minimal effect since both meals contained significant amounts of 'bad fat'. The sunflower cooking oil meal would have had only just slightly less "bad fat".

5.Eggs, Gravy, Biscuits, Sausage is a terrible breakfast - not one of those ingredients contains any fibre..... the biscuit might have a tiny amount but it was probably made from bleached white flour which has almost no fibre left. It's a great recipe for constipation. And yes stool size and frequency is an indicator of health and predictor disease - such fun ones as colon cancer. Just like regular cancer only up your butt(sort of :)).

6. They go out of their way to link you to the McDonalds website nutritional information - Was this "study" just a sneaky way to say "good fats, bad fats doesn't matter if you're stressed, so come relax and eat at McDonalds because it's the same amount of fat and calories" ? Suspicious!

The take away from my morning ranting is:
Don't eat any fat or oil, apart from those from wholefoods such as nuts, flaxseed, avocados. And very little amounts. A handful of nuts, and a tablespoon of flaxseed contains all of the "good fats" omega 6 and omega 3, and in the correct ratio. Everything else will that is refined, or extracted or isolated will cause, contribute, or at least not alleviate disease.

Edit: my sources are from nutritionfacts.org and various books by Dr. Dean Ornish, Dr. Cadwell Esselstyn Dr. John McDougall, Dr. Neal Barnard, Dr. Michael Greger, Dr. Joel Fuhrman, Colin T. Campbell.

This comment was edited on Sep 24, 2016, 18:44.

News Comments > Warhammer 40,000 - Eternal Crusade Launched
2. Re: Warhammer 40,000 - Eternal Crusade Launched Sep 24, 2016, 03:06 bigspender

Cutter wrote on Sep 23, 2016, 20:11:
It was supposed to be an MMO and it's just an arena shooter now. Big difference. I see a lot of people are quite miffed about that.

Shame. I always thought Planetside 2 would be perfect with a 40k theme.

Edit:this looks worse than W40k Space Marine's multiplayer released from 2011. (which was a fun single player game!). But this doesn't look anywhere near as polished.

1172 Comments. 59 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo