Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for bigspender

Real Name bigspender   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname bigspender
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description no co-op = no purchase
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 7, 2006, 02:54
Total Comments 1175 (Pro)
User ID 24495

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
43. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 7, 2016, 18:03 bigspender

BobBob wrote on Apr 7, 2016, 14:19:
I would like to see a Star Wars story revolving around a scientist or engineer responsible for the space flight technology, light sabers, or droid AI. -- Oh, wait, my bad. Star Wars isn't science fiction.

Hmm... Perhaps a philosopher or theologian deeply discusses the dark and light side; interpreting its impact on life's meaning and the purpose of existence. -- Ah, nope, will confuse the target audience.

How about a Star Wars story about normal person building all those infrastructures or simply living out a day in the life. Showing how the society operates and where it's heading. -- Oh my bad, unless it's a space battle, arena setting, or long drone political speech, the universe doesn't exist in that galaxy far far away.

What's my point?

Star Trek > Star Wars

When it comes to TNG I couldn't agree more It's my favorite show ever. It's like the James Burke of sci-fi.

I would go so far and say that TNG > any series ever to date. It makes all other shows and the subjects that they deal or struggle with look very simplistic.

TNG is like Plato does sci-fi.

This comment was edited on Apr 7, 2016, 18:10.

News Comments > DOOM Open Beta Next Week; DLC/Season Pass Plans
10. Re: DOOM Open Beta Next Week; DLC/Season Pass Plans Apr 6, 2016, 21:29 bigspender

nin wrote on Apr 6, 2016, 18:49:
$40 season pass? It's like the more I hear, the less I'm interested...

Paying for DLC is bad enough. But paying for DLC that you don't even know what the quality will be like is pretty silly.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 6, 2016, 17:36 bigspender

If anything the public should be suing Paul Walker and co for glamorizing dangerous driving on public roads.

There should seriously be a law that lets you hit people with sticks when they drive like these douche nuggets.

News Comments > Game Reviews
1. Re: Game Reviews Apr 4, 2016, 22:19 bigspender

http://s22.postimg.org/d5hbts7o1/cdc6b5cf_b0d1_4353_995a_7dd358333d63.jpg

Every bit helps when it comes to Dark Souls I guess.

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: etc., etc. Apr 4, 2016, 20:34 bigspender

Very cool to hear that someone is fixing ACM. The mod however currently is very optimized so it's hard to get a frame rate, even though it does look very nice.

Even though it would take more work you'd get a much better result if you extracted all of the assets and scripts and put it all into Unreal 4 engine. Of course that means touch and adjusting every asset. A few years of work for a single person probably.

37. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 4, 2016, 18:52 bigspender

jdreyer wrote on Apr 2, 2016, 13:56:
bigspender wrote on Apr 2, 2016, 07:25:

I'm totally obsessed to be honest It's needed so badly and it works so well. Yet it's like some kind of secret. *shrugs*

I think there are two issues.

First, there are people who simply don't believe that a largely vegetable based, whole food diet will make any difference. These seem to be the people you largely address in your posts.

Second, there are the people that know eating that way is the healthiest, but for whatever reason find it difficult to do. How to stop the temptation to get a bag of chips of quart of ice cream at the supermarket? How to keep from getting a venti mocha frappacino instead of a coffee?

For sure, change is never easy. Especially when a venti mocha frappacino is full of casomorphins, fat, and high fructose corn syrup - that will create a dopamine release like nothing else

Plus there is the motivation factor too. Unfortunately most people won't have a motivation until it is too late to make a significant change(never too late though!), and some people won't even get to make a choice at all when it comes to sudden cardiac arrest or certain cancers.

That's why I like to recommend the books, as they make you aware of what dice you're rolling when it comes to health and disease.

My motivators are that you get to eat as much as you want, provided it's whole food based. Like a bean burrito with wholemeal or corn bread (vs a beef burrito with white flour bread). Nom Nom, why not have two or 3 for lunch. Doesn't matter because the amount of fibre, water, and extra digestion required means I'll still be losing weight

And of course I'm a spiteful asshole, so I'm driven by my anger and feelings being lied to, used and scammed by the fitness, meat, egg, fish and dairy industries. I feel like I'm giving them all the middle finger each time I eat LOL

36. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 4, 2016, 18:15 bigspender

BobBob wrote on Apr 2, 2016, 14:36:
Eating healthy is good but you also need to move constantly. It's part of why I push myself to take my work to the beaches and parks. It forces me to get on the bike and go. Besides regular home excercise, I usually cycle about 20 to 30 miles (up and down hills and around the peninsula, and along the beach bike paths).

My resting pulse is mid 50'ish; trying to get it lower.

Very nice! 55ish is elite athlete level, so I think you are covered there

From everything I've read exercises is definitely a key component of health and longevity. The brain benefits just as much as the heart

News Comments > Oculus Rift Privacy Concerns
39. Re: Oculus Rift Privacy Concerns Apr 4, 2016, 02:55 bigspender

what else did people expect from a FACEBOOK product.  

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
2. Re: Saturday Mobilization Apr 2, 2016, 21:23 bigspender

Fantaz wrote on Apr 2, 2016, 20:21:
for $5000 it better have 5K/4K, or even better 8K

It doesn't even have full HD The specs list it as 1920 x 720

For the $5k you could buy a dual SLI titan X PC, a proper gaming monitor and an oculus rift lol

30. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 2, 2016, 07:25 bigspender

jdreyer wrote on Apr 2, 2016, 03:11:
bigspender wrote on Apr 2, 2016, 02:13:
More People On Earth Now Obese Than Underweight, Says Study.

If anyone is interested in not being part of that statistic, this worked perfectly for me. I've read all of these books, because I wasn't convinced it was possible to eat MORE food to lose weight. But any one of these books will work very well. Not as quickly as a crash diet, but not much slower either, a very steady and permanent way to lose unwanted weight. And healthier too. It will most likely cure any heart disease or diabetes type things that are common these days.

Just follow these familiar recipes it's easier than you think This are the only books I've come across that aren't trying to sell you anything too. Many of them even give the book profits to charity.

You can even get a few of them for $0.01 on some websites 2nd hand as they're diet methods aren't in fashion.

The Starch Solution - Dr. John McDougall
Negative Calorie Effect - Dr. Neal Barnard
Power Foods for the Brain - Dr. Neal Barnard
Prevent And Reverse Heart Disease - Dr. Cadwell Esselstyn
Engine #2 Diet, Rip Esselstyn.

There are many other good books such as How Not To Die by Dr. Michael Greger, or The China Study, by T. Colin Campbell, or books by Dr. Joel Fuhrman which focus more on the science of individual foods but don't necessarily have recipes.

Interesting reads even if you aren't looking to lose weight.

Good luck to you if you embark on the journey I believe in you. If I can do it, you can too!

I admire your doggedness on this issue.

I'm totally obsessed to be honest It's needed so badly and it works so well. Yet it's like some kind of secret. *shrugs*

27. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 2, 2016, 02:13 bigspender

More People On Earth Now Obese Than Underweight, Says Study.

If anyone is interested in not being part of that statistic, this worked perfectly for me. I've read all of these books, because I wasn't convinced it was possible to eat MORE food to lose weight. But any one of these books will work very well. Not as quickly as a crash diet, but not much slower either, a very steady and permanent way to lose unwanted weight. And healthier too. It will most likely cure any heart disease or diabetes type things that are common these days.

Just follow these familiar recipes it's easier than you think This are the only books I've come across that aren't trying to sell you anything too. Many of them even give the book profits to charity.

You can even get a few of them for $0.01 on some websites 2nd hand as they're diet methods aren't in fashion.

The Starch Solution - Dr. John McDougall
Negative Calorie Effect - Dr. Neal Barnard
Power Foods for the Brain - Dr. Neal Barnard
Prevent And Reverse Heart Disease - Dr. Cadwell Esselstyn
Engine #2 Diet, Rip Esselstyn.

There are many other good books such as How Not To Die by Dr. Michael Greger, or The China Study, by T. Colin Campbell, or books by Dr. Joel Fuhrman which focus more on the science of individual foods but don't necessarily have recipes.

Interesting reads even if you aren't looking to lose weight.

Good luck to you if you embark on the journey I believe in you. If I can do it, you can too!

News Comments > Descent: Underground Adds VR Support
1. Re: Descent: Underground Adds VR Support Mar 31, 2016, 17:28 bigspender

Now this is one game I don't want to play in VR, at least not without a bucket.  

News Comments > New Space Sim HOTAS
15. Re: New Space Sim HOTAS Mar 31, 2016, 16:58 bigspender

You get a lot of buttons for the price that's for sure, but the buttons on all of the saitek products I've tried including the x-52 and x-55 feel terrible. It's like they are going to come off when you press them and yet at the same time they have no feedback so you can't tell what you're really pressing or how much.
Also the ergonomics are questionable. The joystick is too big, and without a custom built palm rest you can't reach the buttons on the x-55 so you end up having to move your hand up and down the stick when you need to fire a weapon or touch one of the hats.

There are a lot of new joystick start ups on the horizon so I'd be waiting for those personally.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 30, 2016, 19:26 bigspender

Cutter wrote on Mar 30, 2016, 13:49:
While that's amazing news on the stem cell front, they really need to fast track that sort of thing.

What amazes me the most is what activities are these rats doing to get spinal cord injuries. Are they driving without seat belts, or skiing too fast?

News Comments > Orcs Must Die! Unchained Open Beta
6. Re: Orcs Must Die! Unchained Open Beta Mar 29, 2016, 21:33 bigspender

Kxmode wrote on Mar 29, 2016, 12:44:
As a former Orc, and member of the Horde, I find this offensive! #OrcLivesMatter

Us orks should unite our dakka and make it all orky!

.... oops sorry thought this was the space orks society.

News Comments > Steamship Ahoy - Bazaar
3. Re: Steamship Ahoy - Bazaar Mar 29, 2016, 03:12 bigspender

.....and here come the VR equivalents of those "me too" shitty motion control games for the wii.  

News Comments > Two Worlds II DLC and Two Worlds III Announced
5. Re: Two Worlds II DLC and Two Worlds III Announced Mar 26, 2016, 05:44 bigspender

I played Two Worlds II on release, and early in the game found an exploit where I created a spell that blinded, slowed and (only slightly)hurt enemies. I was able to defeat anything no matter how hard they were. Of course it took like 1 or two minutes to kill something but I could cheese my way through any areas haha.

I was hoping for a co-op Elder Scrolls experience wit Two Worlds II, and it nearly was that. Nearly.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 24, 2016, 23:46 bigspender

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 24, 2016, 23:18:
bigspender wrote on Mar 24, 2016, 22:39:
If sticking to Japanese dietary guidelines only decreases your risk of death by 15% then that's a pretty shitty set of guidelines.

That's terrible results, especially when compared to their traditional Okinawan diets.

A whole-foods diet like the ones suggested by Dr. Michael Greger, Dr. Neal Barnard, Dr. John McDougall, Dr. Cadwell Esselstyn, or Dr. Dean Ornish is way ahead in terms of mortality, heart disease, brain disease, cancers and basically all of the big killers.

Eating stuff you don't like eating is pretty much guaranteed to kill you faster though

Haha, especially if eating a bit of kale makes you eat two strips of bacon to make up for the taste

Nah, a few weeks of eating real unprocessed food, and your taste buds completely adjust. I wouldn't have ever thought how dramatic of a change it is until I experienced it for myself

It's a lot like quitting smoking. At first it feels like your missing something, and then feeling so clean is kind of bothersom and weird, but after about 3 or 4 weeks even the though of smoking (or eating fatty/sugary processed crap) makes you feel a bit nauseous.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 24, 2016, 22:39 bigspender

If sticking to Japanese dietary guidelines only decreases your risk of death by 15% then that's a pretty shitty set of guidelines.

That's terrible results, especially when compared to their traditional Okinawan diets.

A whole-foods diet like the ones suggested by Dr. Michael Greger, Dr. Neal Barnard, Dr. John McDougall, Dr. Cadwell Esselstyn, or Dr. Dean Ornish is way ahead in terms of mortality, heart disease, brain disease, cancers and basically all of the big killers.

News Comments > Game Reviews
1. Re: Game Reviews Mar 24, 2016, 22:18 bigspender

Remember kids, just because you can't see outside of the Rift, doesn't mean people on the outside can't see you with your pants off.  

1175 Comments. 59 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo