Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for bigspender

Real Name bigspender   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname bigspender
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description no co-op = no purchase
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 7, 2006, 02:54
Total Comments 1174 (Pro)
User ID 24495

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Space Hulk: Deathwing Release Date and Preorder Beta
5. Re: Space Hulk: Deathwing Release Date and Preorder Beta Nov 4, 2016, 21:58 bigspender

Cutter wrote on Nov 4, 2016, 19:12:
Want a pre-order? Then let me try your game first or fuckoff.
Wouldn't that be nice!?

I miss demos.

News Comments > Tyranny Trailer
2. Re: Tyranny Trailer Nov 4, 2016, 18:26 bigspender

Dat beard :S  

News Comments > Into the Black
1. Re: Into the Black Nov 2, 2016, 23:02 bigspender

That was brilliant  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
15. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 2, 2016, 19:32 bigspender

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 2, 2016, 17:23:
bigspender wrote on Nov 2, 2016, 17:04:
Oh look, China is going to export cheap stealth planes - I bet all of the F-35 haters will be changing their minds now.
I assume this was sarcasm, if not -- it should have been.

Why would it be sarcasm?

12. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 2, 2016, 17:04 bigspender

Oh look, China is going to export cheap stealth planes - I bet all of the F-35 haters will be changing their minds now.  

11. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 2, 2016, 17:01 bigspender

Cutter wrote on Nov 2, 2016, 16:06:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 2, 2016, 14:45:
Watch some big pharma corporation patent and market Zika as male birth control.

If it works, super. My cousin just spent a month in prison for non-suport. And not minimum security either, but max. And when you go to prison for it - at least here - it doesn't even count toward the debt, which makes it even harder to deal with. That's just fucking insane. And all because of a drunken one night stand. Dudes hate condoms, plain and simple. If you could take a shot or pill and not have to worry about that yeah, I'm pretty sure the world would beat a path to that pharmaceutical's door.

Birth control isn't the only thing condoms are useful for though. A pill wouldn't prevent sexually transmitted diseases, some of which are much worse than being father to an accidental child.

News Comments > Saturday Crowdfunding Roundup
5. Re: Saturday Crowdfunding Roundup Oct 29, 2016, 23:09 bigspender

ForgedReality wrote on Oct 29, 2016, 22:22:
Fion wrote on Oct 29, 2016, 14:19:
I haven't used deodorant in years.. let alone soap (save occasional hand soap - never the antibacterial stuff) or shampoo. Instead I've worked to restore my bodies natural microbiology. I find I don't sweat as often (accept working out of course), my hair is thick and doesn't tangle much (though it isn't as shiny), I have no BO, and my skin is very healthy. I do of course still shower, but I just use good hot water & a good old wash cloth.

I'm of the belief that these artificial, antibacterial, chemically based soaps, shampoos & deodorants have hurt our bodies ability to stay clean, not helped it. People hear that 100 years ago people bathed rather irregularly and think 'they must have stunk to hell and back'. I think it was probably rather the opposite.

You know how when you go over to grandma's house for Thanksgiving dinner and when you walk in, it smells like old people and cat litter box? But then you're there for an hour and you've gotten used to the smell and you actually don't notice it anymore? I'll just leave you to think about that one...

LOL. That is one scenario, I have put it to the test though

The smell of your sweat is dependent on a number of things. But using sweat blocking deodorants such as ones containing aluminium makes you stink more when you do sweat. (because when you are finally able to sweat it is more concentrated, and you also sweat more during those times).
(coincidentally there is some evidence showing that aluminum particles in foods (e.g. used as anti-coagulants in creamer) and in deodorants contribute to dementia and Alzheimers).

So use something that still allows you to sweat, and doesn't contain aluminium or other metal particles.

Another factor is diet. Eat less processed crap, and fewer animal products, and more whole-foods, like brown rice, legumes, veges etc and your sweat loses it's offending odor.

I've been eating a plant-based diet for a couple of years, so I can account for this change myself.

I find I might dab on a drop of tea tree oil under my arms if I've done a heavy workout and I'm dripping in sweat. But day to day, no deodorant for me works just fine.

The same goes for a lot of shampoos. They will strip the natural oils and minerals from your hair. So that if you don't wash your hair the oils build up in excess. But if you don't wash your hair with shampoo (only water) for a month or so, it all balances out. Of course if your hair is dirty from your job, then wash out the dirt, but using something natural that doesn't strip off the natural coating of your hair.
Also conditioners in most circumstances just coat your hair in silicone or similar to make it appear shiny (after the shampoo has
stripped out the natural oils).

Of course if you smoke and drink regularly, and have a meat/dairy/poultry high diet, your hair will have excess oil, and your sweat will have excess stink.

Never thought I'd be talking about personal hygiene on this forum lol

44. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2016, 19:26 bigspender

descender wrote on Oct 28, 2016, 16:06:
Dairy (meaning Cow's milk, I have no idea why eggs are lumped in with this garbage) is the last thing I'm worried about saving as it's the last thing any human should be worried about ingesting.

I feel like you're still missing my main point here (which i'll admit isn't coming out very clearly). How are you going to replace and replenish the topsoil that we are currently destroying by farming too much land too often? Usable farmland is drying up (literally in some cases) by the day and it has nothing to do with how much meat we consume.

Short of a mass extinction or population control measures those "sci fi" options are going to be your only option... and these two are actually both real-world solutions already in progress.

These are industrial scale solutions to world-scale problems. How are you going to forcefully change the diet of 7 billion people? You aren't, because no one agrees on what that diet is.

Most of the crop the world grows, is to feed these farm animals. Something like 70-80% depending on what you read.

If we wanted to feed people with plants, we'd need far less land than what we already use, because 7 billion people don't eat anywhere near as much as 80+ billion cows/pigs/chickens etc.

You replenish topsoil with crop rotation btw. (and not using pesticides that kill worms and what not, but that's an issue that can be worked on in parallel to the primary issue of eating meat).

33. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 27, 2016, 20:24 bigspender

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 27, 2016, 20:16:
bigspender wrote on Oct 27, 2016, 20:05:
RedEye9 wrote on Oct 27, 2016, 18:04:
No thanks, I'm sticking with burgers, steaks, chicken, tuna, endangered whooping crane omelets, and I would like the absolute last Chilean Sea Bass deep fried, not broiled.

Well then you're eating the goose that laid the golden egg.

If you click the link in my OP you'll see that you will still eat burgers and omelets, chicken. The difference is that they're made from plants ;-)

The other difference is that eating too much corn based stuff is also unhealthy.. just face it, you need to strike a balance, and there is no balance if you eat zero meat. You may survive that, but is that still living?

Absolutely, you'd still want to eat anything processed in moderation, just as you would moderate real meat consumption (since it causes cancer and heart disease etc).

But I'm guessing RedEye isn't worried about balance given what he listed, he's it in for maximum food pleasure

30. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 27, 2016, 20:16 bigspender

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 27, 2016, 20:05:
RedEye9 wrote on Oct 27, 2016, 18:06:
JayDeath wrote on Oct 27, 2016, 18:04:
How can one live without their liver? Am I missing something?
When a patient receives a liver transplant, his or her entire liver is removed. It is then replaced by a portion of the donor's healthy liver.

So they both have to take immune response blockers for the rest of their lives?

Just the recipient I believe. The liver is an organ that will grow back for the donor. It's nice ability for it, since we only have one liver

But imagine marrying the recipient. You could totally pull the "Hey I gave you my liver" thing when it was your turn to do the chores lol.

28. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 27, 2016, 20:05 bigspender

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 27, 2016, 18:04:
No thanks, I'm sticking with burgers, steaks, chicken, tuna, endangered whooping crane omelets, and I would like the absolute last Chilean Sea Bass deep fried, not broiled.

Well then you're eating the goose that laid the golden egg.

Like I said, you don't miss out on anything, not even burgers steaks and chicken etc: https://gardein.com/product-type/chickn/

(That's just one brand, but there 1000s of them these days in each part of world (granted some taste bad, but many taste as good if not better than the real thing).

This comment was edited on Oct 27, 2016, 20:10.

27. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 27, 2016, 19:58 bigspender

Cutter wrote on Oct 27, 2016, 17:46:
bigspender wrote on Oct 27, 2016, 17:35:
"Wildlife decline since 1970s reaches nearly 60%"

Please everyone, the governments aren't going to solve this for us. We all need to adopt a plant-based diet if the human species is going to survive the next 100 years. The power is in your hands.

Each time we eat beef, chicken, pork, eggs, fish, dairy we're destroying the environment.

Please don't turn the planet into Mad Max Fury Road. Do you want your children or grand-children do die gracefully from old age? Or do you want them to starve, or die of thrist? The choice is yours, and you have the power to help with every meal.

I know it feels like you might miss out on something, but the truth is you aren't. And you gain more than you could ever imagine.

You don't eat salads btw, you eat hearty plant foods like this: http://tinyurl.com/gvlxhdp

Awww don't worry about it. Before long we'll be growing meat in labs anyway. That and utilizing vertical farms in cities. We're omnivores. It's the smartest thing to be.

I'm not sure if we have "before long". It took only 40 years to destroy 60% of wildlife species. That gives us what, another 40 years before the remainder is gone, maybe more, maybe less.

When you think about farms, they are run to make money, it's a business. What financial incentives do farmers have to invest in vertical farms? They're not going to do anything unless the market changes, and that starts with our buying habits

We simply cannot wait for other people to solve the problems we cause as individuals. It is us individuals that must make the changes happen.

Perhaps lab grown meat and these vertical farms will appear soon, and perhaps they will be completely environmentally friendly in everyway. But what I'm suggesting is that we must use all available avenues to get the maximum impact. And right now, eating a plant-based diet has the biggest impact (and for the least amount of effort - and it's a positive financial impact to ourselves).

Also the more I read, the less I believe that humans are omnivores. Omnivores don't get diseases such as gout, atherosclerosis, and kidney stones from eating meat/eggs/fish/dairy. But humans do, even the fittest people on the planet at the time (dead G.I.'s in Vietnam aged 18-25) already had already have atherosclerosis.

This comment was edited on Oct 27, 2016, 20:12.

26. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 27, 2016, 19:31 bigspender

descender wrote on Oct 27, 2016, 17:49:
Do you want your children or grand-children do die gracefully from old age? Or do you want them to starve, or die of thrist?

Industrial-scale farming is eliminating the topsoil around the world and will be causing the exact scenario you just blamed on meats. :p

We can't feed plants to 7billion people, there simply isn't enough earth for that. We actually NEED industrial-scale meat-markets in order to supply the amount of fertilizer required to do industrial-scale farming. It's a double edged sword with no easy answers.

Cutter is right, lab-meat and vertical growhouses are the wave of the future, not blindly promoting one type of food over the other.

We're feeding plants to 80+ billion animals, the majority of which eat more than humans (since these animals are always in a growing phase, as they are killed as soon as they reach size, and are replaced immediately with another growing animal).

So it's just basic math, that if we grow 7 billion people worth of plants, it uses waaaaaaaaaaaay less land, water and energy than feeding those 80 billion animals.

No matter which way you look at it, vertical grow-houses will provide more food, if they grow human-consumable grains. Take out the middle cow

This comment was edited on Oct 27, 2016, 20:00.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 27, 2016, 17:35 bigspender

"Wildlife decline since 1970s reaches nearly 60%"

Please everyone, the governments aren't going to solve this for us. We all need to adopt a plant-based diet if the human species is going to survive the next 100 years. The power is in your hands.

Each time we eat beef, chicken, pork, eggs, fish, dairy we're destroying the environment.

Please don't turn the planet into Mad Max Fury Road. Do you want your children or grand-children do die gracefully from old age? Or do you want them to starve, or die of thrist? The choice is yours, and you have the power to help with every meal.

I know it feels like you might miss out on something, but the truth is you aren't. And you gain more than you could ever imagine.

You don't eat salads btw, you eat hearty plant foods like this: http://tinyurl.com/gvlxhdp

News Comments > Uwe Boll Ending Film Career
19. Re: Uwe Boll Ending Film Career Oct 26, 2016, 14:52 bigspender

He's worked out how to use GameMaker and is now going to be ruining PC games adapated from popular movie franchises......

News Comments > Resident Evil 7 Trailers
2. Re: Resident Evil 7 Trailers Oct 25, 2016, 14:47 bigspender

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Oct 25, 2016, 13:33:
Picking up herbs, combining them in your MICROSCOPIC inventory... it's definitely a Resident Evil game.

Classic Blunder, for that second clip. STOMP ON HIS DAMN HEAD.

Reminds me more of the new Alone in the Dark game with a bit of Steam Green light generic horror game.

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
1. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Oct 21, 2016, 15:38 bigspender

Looks like a cutscene from a 90s game so weird. But interesting concept.  

News Comments > Battlefield 1 Released
27. Re: Battlefield 1 Released Oct 21, 2016, 15:35 bigspender

Cutter wrote on Oct 21, 2016, 12:40:
$80 for the base game. $85 for the season pass. $400 to host a server for a year. Wow, what a bargain! How could anyone possibly pass this up?

Rolleyes

$45 on green man gaming

17. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 19, 2016, 17:47 bigspender

Re: blue light = bad for winding down - check out a program called f.lux (full stop is intentional).

It makes your monitor colours go butt ugly when the sun goes down, but it does it gradually over 1hr so you don't really notice.

But it really does help. You get sleepy, and quality of sleep is better.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 12, 2016, 18:41 bigspender

Cutter wrote on Oct 12, 2016, 11:49:
Glow in the dark paths in multiple colours? Jesus, Warsaw is going look like a bad rave at night. That would be really irritating having to look at that constantly. We actually need the dark.

I'm curious whether it is actually more energy efficient - for new paths sure. But to dig up old paths and replace them, surely that is less efficient - especially if instead the country could use that money/time/effort into developing green electricty which not only the bike path lights could benefit from.

1174 Comments. 59 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo