Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for bigspender

Real Name bigspender   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname bigspender
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description no co-op = no purchase
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 7, 2006, 02:54
Total Comments 1174 (Pro)
User ID 24495

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
1. Re: Sunday Mobilization May 8, 2016, 18:42 bigspender

The last 10 years or so of technology hasn't really done much to improve the peoples lifestyles, not the mainstream technology anyway. Most devices are just portals into their own stores.

When mobile/cell phones became popular, it let everyone stay in contact, improving communication, but what have smart phones done? Allowed people to update their twitter accounts?

Seems like humans are the limiting factor now to how much technology helps us.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
42. Re: Out of the Blue May 7, 2016, 01:40 bigspender

Beamer wrote on May 6, 2016, 20:16:
bigspender wrote on May 6, 2016, 17:59:
Beamer wrote on May 6, 2016, 17:45:
bigspender wrote on May 6, 2016, 17:36:
rudra wrote on May 6, 2016, 11:39:
The eggs he ate have the equivalent cholesterol of two Burger King whoppers per egg, or measured in terms of lifespan reduction, he's just smoked 4 cigarettes per egg. This is what causes heart attack and stroke, the narrowing of arteries that supply blood to the brain and heart, eventually narrowing so much that blood doesn't flow to critical areas. Even when the arteries are slightly narrowed, a bit of blood flow can rip off the cholesterol plaque from the side of the artery, causing a blood clot which again would stop the blood flow to a critical area. Skinny or not, this process will happen, as long as the cholesterol laden foods keep being eaten.

completely and utterly retarded... so wrong on so many levels

im done

Oh really?

https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/heartattack/causes
A heart attack happens if the flow of oxygen-rich blood to a section of heart muscle suddenly becomes blocked and the heart can't get oxygen. Most heart attacks occur as a result of coronary heart disease (CHD). CHD is a condition in which a waxy substance called plaque builds up inside of the coronary arteries.

Do you ever wonder why Atkins (the guy that invented the no carbs, lots of meat and fat diet) had a history of cardiovascular disease, had a heart attack and died as a result of hitting his dead during the heart attack. This happens to everyone on this type of diet, eventually.

Cardiovascular disease is completely optional. Read: Preventing Heart Disease by Dr. Cadwell Esselstyn.

You went from "eggs are like smoking 4 cigarettes" to "CHD is caused by plaque" and "lots of meat and fat are bad for you."

Increasingly, science is proving that "eggs cause heart attacks" is incorrect and bad science. Nothing you've said contradicts this, even if absolutely, positively correct.

I mentioned eggs, meat, and fat because they are all sources of cholesterol. Smoking also causes atherosclerosis, so eggs and cigarettes can be roughly compared in terms of how much they coat the arteries.

Why do you think it is illegal for the US egg board to advertise eggs using the words "healthy" and "nutritious"

Like I said, read the books, because no matter what I seem to say someone will pick it apart, I'd rather you guys get the information first hand, where it's explained in more than two sentences by a professional. I'm mearly trying to generate interest in actual science that hasn't been influenced by the sponsor.

Except the Egg Board calls eggs these things non-stop on their site.

Sorry, your science is bunk. The rest of the books may be good, but your campaign against eggs here is just ill-advised. It's based off of 1980s understanding of nutrition, back in the days when we had a food pyramid and feared fat.

Your Dr. Greger cites a 2001 study that eggs are bad. [Here's a 2006 study contradicting it.](http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16340654)

Dr. Greger likes to point out all the ad money paying for pro-egg studies. But Dr. Greger is very anti anything from animals. Hmm, let's look at who pays his salary... The Humane Society. Interesting. Seems like some of the arguments he makes could apply to him, no?

Usually fad diets, and your advocacy here comes across as fad-ish as most other diets, work not because the nutrition is perfect but because people are finally paying attention to what they're eating and doing something to keep most of the processed garbage out, as well as going more balanced and moderating most ingredients. To say eating one egg is the equivalent of smoking 4 cigarettes is... really, really strange. Eating the occasional steak won't kill you. Eating an egg breakfast when out for brunch on Sunday won't shorten your lifespan. Avoiding this stuff like the plague is insanity - life is too short, anyway. Lentils are great, and are the primary source of protein in many of my meals, but swapping every time you'd eat eggs for lentils 100% of the time isn't going to make you live to 100.

Yet Dr. Greger's and Dr. Esselstyns are the only diets that prevent and reverse the #1 killer (infact the top 15 or so). That is the only criteria you need

News Comments > Battlefield 5 Title Revealed?
38. Re: Morning Mobilization May 6, 2016, 20:02 bigspender

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on May 6, 2016, 18:02:
Slick wrote on May 6, 2016, 17:46:
rudra wrote on May 6, 2016, 17:22:
yeh trench warfare is about the most boring shit there is

I re-watched the trailer a few times, I won't lie, and at no point did any of that look like "yawn, boring trench warfare". I think there was a trench on-screen for a total of about 1.5 seconds...

Not to mention that implying WWI == Trench Warfare shows a fairly limited knowledge of the war. The trenches and no-man's land are the enduring images of the Western Front, and different armies adapted tactically at different rates, but by wars end, they had certainly figured out that mass infantry charges against entrenched positions and machine gun/artillery fire doesn't work. The operative words when discussing WWI, particularly from the end of 1915 on, shouldn't be "no man's land", but "infiltration" and "stormtroopers".

They would attempt to penetrate enemy weak points to bypass and isolate heavily defended positions in the front line. Infantrymen with heavier weapons would then follow-up and have a great advantage when attacking the isolated enemy strong points. Other reinforcements would then enter these breaches, and the entire enemy line would shortly collapse. The attacks relied heavily on speed and surprise.

Yeah but really, when has a Battlefield game been realistic? It's merely a theme to give players a good reason to shoot each other in a fun way.

News Comments > Battlefield Teaser Trailer; Announcement Tomorrow
38. Re: Battlefield Teaser Trailer; Announcement Tomorrow May 6, 2016, 18:58 bigspender

rudra wrote on May 6, 2016, 07:27:
"The future of Battlefield is being revealed

pretty sure thats a hint

https://youtu.be/c7nRTF2SowQ doesn't look very futuristic.

Unless this is an xbox only game? *shrugs*

News Comments > Battlefield 5 Title Revealed?
33. Re: Battlefield 5 Title Revealed? May 6, 2016, 18:48 bigspender

https://youtu.be/c7nRTF2SowQ

Battlefield 1....

I guess most of the kills will be from dysentery and cholera from living in the trenches?

40. Re: Out of the Blue May 6, 2016, 18:37 bigspender

descender wrote on May 6, 2016, 18:31:
I apologize for not being able to find the actual article I read that convinced me, I usually try to have my sources in order before I say something. I'm always looking for the forefront of dietary science. I'll let you know if I find it.

Cool

Oh yeah I keep telling people to read books, yet I forget we live in the future where everything is on video LOL

He's not the most entertaining guy to listen to but it sums up the book pretty well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYTf0z_zVs0

38. Re: Out of the Blue May 6, 2016, 18:25 bigspender

descender wrote on May 6, 2016, 18:18:
I would only say that treating and preventing heart disease are not the same thing. The low-fat diet may be doing something to help after the fact, but it isn't stopping people from having heart attacks because it isn't eliminating anything that actually builds up in your body.

In the book it says, it completely reverses the atherosclerosis, even before they have a heart attack, preventing even the first attack. The arteries get opened up again as the plaque is cleared away.

I forgot to mention, couldn't agree more with you about statins. Terrible stuff.

Anyway I appreciate your skeptism, it's never a bad thing

36. Re: Out of the Blue May 6, 2016, 18:09 bigspender

descender wrote on May 6, 2016, 18:05:
The first thing a doctor does is put you on a cholesterol lowering drug when you get a heart attack or stroke, or at risk of one.

Yeah, and now they are finding that this is ABSOLUTELY WRONG. Those drugs (statins) are causing far more problems than they ever solved.

Ok then, so why is it that when people lower their cholesterol, their atherosclerosis, heart disease and stroke rates go away? As per the Dr. Esselstyn book.

He's completely reversed their atherosclerosis by putting them on a low cholesterol/fat/oil diet in very short periods of time.

I have a feeling the people that are saying that it's ABSOLUTELY WRONG have their eggs in the egg industry basket.

Edit: just saw the study you linked - they're talking about supplements. I have no doubt that supplementation would increase issues. Most supplements either don't work, or cause problems. I'm with you on that one for 100%!

But I don't think this applies to the majority of the people dying every 8 seconds from heart disease.

EDIT 2: derp. I just saw the part where you mentioned ignore the supplements.

Yes I would also believe excess dairy would go a long way to causing plaque build up, it's got the double whammy, high fat high cholesterol and excess calcium.

This comment was edited on May 6, 2016, 18:22.

34. Re: Out of the Blue May 6, 2016, 18:01 bigspender

descender wrote on May 6, 2016, 17:50:
Arterial buildup is generally a result of excess calcium intake, it literally "calcifies" in your arteries which is what hardens them. It has nothing to do with "cholesterol" or your 1950's junk science.

It's not junk science. The first thing a doctor does is put you on a cholesterol lowering drug when you get a heart attack or stroke, or at risk of one.

They don't put you on a calcium lowering drug.

1950s doesn't mean jack either, I'm pretty sure most of the world is running on 1950's nuclear junk science too

No mention of calcium here https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/atherosclerosis/causes

33. Re: Out of the Blue May 6, 2016, 17:59 bigspender

Beamer wrote on May 6, 2016, 17:45:
bigspender wrote on May 6, 2016, 17:36:
The eggs he ate have the equivalent cholesterol of two Burger King whoppers per egg, or measured in terms of lifespan reduction, he's just smoked 4 cigarettes per egg. This is what causes heart attack and stroke, the narrowing of arteries that supply blood to the brain and heart, eventually narrowing so much that blood doesn't flow to critical areas. Even when the arteries are slightly narrowed, a bit of blood flow can rip off the cholesterol plaque from the side of the artery, causing a blood clot which again would stop the blood flow to a critical area. Skinny or not, this process will happen, as long as the cholesterol laden foods keep being eaten.

im done

Oh really?

A heart attack happens if the flow of oxygen-rich blood to a section of heart muscle suddenly becomes blocked and the heart can't get oxygen. Most heart attacks occur as a result of coronary heart disease (CHD). CHD is a condition in which a waxy substance called plaque builds up inside of the coronary arteries.

Do you ever wonder why Atkins (the guy that invented the no carbs, lots of meat and fat diet) had a history of cardiovascular disease, had a heart attack and died as a result of hitting his dead during the heart attack. This happens to everyone on this type of diet, eventually.

Cardiovascular disease is completely optional. Read: Preventing Heart Disease by Dr. Cadwell Esselstyn.

You went from "eggs are like smoking 4 cigarettes" to "CHD is caused by plaque" and "lots of meat and fat are bad for you."

Increasingly, science is proving that "eggs cause heart attacks" is incorrect and bad science. Nothing you've said contradicts this, even if absolutely, positively correct.

I mentioned eggs, meat, and fat because they are all sources of cholesterol. Smoking also causes atherosclerosis, so eggs and cigarettes can be roughly compared in terms of how much they coat the arteries.

Why do you think it is illegal for the US egg board to advertise eggs using the words "healthy" and "nutritious"

Like I said, read the books, because no matter what I seem to say someone will pick it apart, I'd rather you guys get the information first hand, where it's explained in more than two sentences by a professional. I'm mearly trying to generate interest in actual science that hasn't been influenced by the sponsor.

This comment was edited on May 6, 2016, 19:57.

30. Re: Out of the Blue May 6, 2016, 17:36 bigspender

im done

Oh really?

This comment was edited on May 6, 2016, 17:43.

29. Re: Out of the Blue May 6, 2016, 17:34 bigspender

RedEye9 wrote on May 6, 2016, 09:07:
bigspender wrote on May 5, 2016, 23:38:
with a chance that gases uses to inflate your colon for visibility will ignite.....

Carbon Dioxide is non-flammable. This and similar safe gases are used for inflation.
Please don't spread obvious bullshit in your scare campaign.
Reason #7 Why no one should get medical advice from a gaming forum.

Ever light your farts;
Colonic gas explosion is something totally different and is rare, it's caused by an accumulation of natural "bodily produced" colonic combustible gases at potentially explosive concentrations due to poor colon preparation.

That's why doctors frequently send people home to cleanse again, well that and the fact that you can't really do surgery and see what you're looking at if your line of sight is obstructed by feces.

Sorry yeah, that's what I meant, and that's why I make such an effort for people to read the books I've listed, I'm regurgitating it as best as I can, but I'll get it wrong when I'm just typing full speed ahead.

My point was the result is an exploding colon I was hoping that it would more of an entertaining fact to get people interested in reading the books rather than a scare campaign.

This comment was edited on May 6, 2016, 17:56.

24. Re: Out of the Blue May 5, 2016, 23:38 bigspender

Cutter wrote on May 5, 2016, 22:05:
bigspender wrote on May 5, 2016, 18:55:
Cutter wrote on May 5, 2016, 12:49:
Intermittent fasting like the 5 2 diet is the only way to do it. It's far healthier too. After all, that's how we evolved. The Fast Mimicking Diet is interesting too but still needs a lot of research. Here's a an interesting study with some hard science on it.

FMD

Sauron, given your background I'd appreciate you chiming it on it.

The problem with intermittent fasting is that you're getting intermittent nutrients. You'll lose weight fast for sure, but when it comes to health, you want steady, consistent and permanent results. Nutrient intake is the key to health, not calorie counting (see my post below).

Also with many of these fasting style diets, you're just losing water content from your body, instead of depleting your adipose tissue.

I'd be vary careful of diets that make claims of "that's how we evolved" many people mistake survival and evolution as the same thing, and marketers take advantage of it. For example people that live on the north pole have a very high fat diet which they survive on, enough to reproduce, but they are certainly not evolved for it, as their angiograms would show.
Don't even get me started on the Paleo diet people *shakes fist*

And, just as I expected they tell you to eat large amounts of saturated fat, aka, one the major causes of heart disease which kills a person every 8 seconds in the US alone.

Lastly, any diet that is exploiting a survival mechanism (ketosis) is not going to be healthy. Ketosis is a last measure to stop people from starving to death when food is unavailable, not a regular function of the human body, and does a lot of harm. The definition of ketosis is "abnormal fat metabolism" after all.

No, that's not how it works at all. First off, eating to lose weight is a myth. Second, these are water based fasts. They're calorie restricted - meaning 600 per day for men. They're telling you to eat mostly plants but good fats are essential too. Having your body use up ketones is essential because it normalizes blood glucose and gives your pancreas, liver, and kidney a break they desperately need these days. The science on intermittent fasting is in and has been for a long time now. It works. It's good.

Most people get to their target weight and than just do maintenance of 1 day a week from that point forward. The rest is just common sense, moderate excercise - mostly aerobic. And, as Michael Pollen said, "eat real food, not too much, mostly plants".

Watch this.

Eat, Fast, Live Longer

Read this.

The Fast Diet

Couldn't agree more about the statement on "eat mostly plants". Most edible plants, will have nutrients you need and none of what you don't need. So no baggage

I think it's great that he was able to lose weight by the end, since avoiding all of that potential medication is one of the best things you can do, but losing weight does not necessarily decrease mortality, and with the foods he's eating he'll still eventually be placed on statins, which will end up doing as much harm as good. (There is a reason why certain doctors seminars as sponsored by high cholesterol food companies along with statin companies, they want to sell you the cause, as well as the fix.)

For example he's eating bacon and eggs for breakfast throughout the show.

The show was made before bacon was classified into the same carcinogenic category as radiation and cigarettes, so it'd be interesting to see if he's still keen on eating it.

Processed meats like bacon are doubly bad, because when you cook them at frying or baking temperatures it's creating the exact same chemicals as a burning cigarette, only now you're exposing a surface area of a football field (your intestine) to the chemicals, instead of just a living room's surface area (lungs), the more exposure the greater the chances of disease. Colon cancer is not fun, unless you consider fun being probed by a 5 foot long mechanical arm, with a chance that gases uses to inflate your colon for visibility will ignite.....

You can of course choose to undercook them, but then your exposing yourself to DNA damaging bacteria which goes on to form cancers as well.

Either way you cook it, the bacon proteins are sulfur containing amino acids, so they end up as sulfuric acid in the blood forcing your kidneys to hyper-filtrate and they'll eventually wear out running at max capacity time and time again. Those proteins also contain methionine which helps cancer cells grow their own blood supply. Not to mention promote IGF-1 production, which is exactly what he's trying to prevent.
Plant protein doesn't have any of these negatives, and have a bunch of benefits, that I won't go on about, unless you want me to..

The other things is, when you are fasting you are missing opportunities where you can in take essential nutrients, like vitamins, anti oxidants, lignans etc

I read all of that in "How Not To Die"

Another thing that bothered me about the show was, that it took him a year to get the better blood results, and that was all because of one thing - his weight loss - not because he cleaned up his diet, or increased his nutritional intake. He simply ate bad less often. Which is a good start, but if instead of fasting he simply just ate vegetables all day, he'd get much better results.

If you start eating a whole foods diet, you can have these blood results in as little as a month, and in the same time line as he did, you'll have the weight come off too. No starvation, no exercise, and tons of nutrients.

At his age not eating for 2 days means there is a really good chance he'll go hypoglycemic and crash his car into someone....

I also think that it's counter-inuitive to starve yourself to lose weight, because the body is too smart for that. When you are starving the body goes into "drive with a lite foot mode" and holds onto the fat as best it can. Then when food becomes available it does it's best to turn it into fat, in case you get into a starving situation again. Which is why most people will end up with more weight that what they started with after they tried dieting.

And lastly, why eat fat when that is the one thing you are trying to get rid of? Why keep filling up the fat stores, only to try to deplete them. Instead it seems better to stop adding to the fat stores, and let them deplete naturally, and fuel yourself with carbs (which have a very hard time turning into fat, despite whatever the fitness industry says).

That guy Joe in Washington, he makes a bowl of berries, cuts off apple skins because the apple meat is sugar, then pours dextrose powder on it? or was it protein powder? either way.... seems sus.

TL:DR
Dr. Greger has done a video on exactly this topic, calorie restriciton vs plant based diet!
http://nutritionfacts.org/video/caloric-restriction-vs-plant-based-diets/

Note the part where mentions that the rodent research does not match the results in humans....

The only reason why fasting has results is because you are eating less of bad food, not because it's lower calorie. But the real trick is replace the bad food with good food, and results are better.

This comment was edited on May 6, 2016, 00:41.

16. Re: Battlefield Teaser Trailer; Announcement Tomorrow May 5, 2016, 21:38 bigspender

<Electric-Spock> wrote on May 5, 2016, 20:58:
I believe the guy in the trailer is just a random dude at EA headquarters on his knees begging for less console drivel and mod support for the PC.

Of course he is just about to catch a bitch slap from the current EA CEO, who's name is Cash DLC McDiamonds, I believe.

LOL! As funny as that it makes me really sad too.

15. Re: Battlefield Teaser Trailer; Announcement Tomorrow May 5, 2016, 21:35 bigspender

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on May 5, 2016, 21:15:
Hopefully it's the shadow of a giant mech, ala BF2143. Otherwise, meh. I'm WW2'd out.

Yes please, mech's please

9. Re: Battlefield Teaser Trailer; Announcement Tomorrow May 5, 2016, 20:14 bigspender

We need the CSI team to enhance the reflections in his eyeballs so we can see what he's looking at!  

News Comments > DOOM Launch Trailer & System Requirements
2. Re: DOOM Launch Trailer & System Requirements May 5, 2016, 20:10 bigspender

I really want to like this, but I just can't get past the Disney influence in the graphics...  

5. Re: Battlefield Teaser Trailer; Announcement Tomorrow May 5, 2016, 19:55 bigspender

Battlefield 1914?  

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale May 5, 2016, 19:48 bigspender

Zombie Army Trilogy is actually quite fun. Co-op especially. It's got a B movie feel to it when the synth soundtrack kicks in.

20. Re: Out of the Blue May 5, 2016, 19:39 bigspender

BobBob wrote on May 5, 2016, 19:34:
bigspender wrote on May 5, 2016, 19:06:
Some of these books are so out of fashion you can buy them for less than a $1 on amazon or any 2nd hand store, so it's essentially free to try.

I think it's great that you are trying to help people get healthy. Hopefully, some will read the books. Thumbsup

Thanks, I just hope I'm not coming across as a Jehovah's witness or some cultist with my enthusiasm LOL

This comment was edited on May 5, 2016, 20:06.

1174 Comments. 59 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo