Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for bigspender

Real Name bigspender   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname bigspender
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description no co-op = no purchase
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 7, 2006, 02:54
Total Comments 1172 (Pro)
User ID 24495

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > System Shock Remastered Kickstarter Next Month
28. Re: System Shock Remastered Kickstarter Next Month May 16, 2016, 23:34 bigspender

I'm confused, everyone seems to be praising the new DooM, yet that was made for PS4 and Xbone as well.  

News Comments > System Shock Remastered Kickstarter Next Month
27. Re: System Shock Remastered Kickstarter Next Month May 16, 2016, 23:29 bigspender

Luke wrote on May 16, 2016, 15:24:
looks good but mann the game industry is really out of idears with all those remastred releases Book

I've got an original idea, but everyone just laughs at me when I tell them I need about $3mil to develop it:(

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. May 15, 2016, 20:13 bigspender

lol that doom level "remade" my ass. It's vaguely similar, but I wouldn't have known it unless someone told me. Not bad for a first attempt I suppose.  

News Comments > DOOM Released
129. Re: DOOM Released May 14, 2016, 20:53 bigspender

ItBurn wrote on May 14, 2016, 20:40:
Quinn wrote on May 14, 2016, 19:50:
Kosumo wrote on May 14, 2016, 19:31:
So any feed back on the multi player yet? Who ahs given it a try?

Well watch my vid in the link I posted earlier.

Multiplayer is much like the old days. And I'm talking early-mid '90s. It' s pew pew pew pew pew until one guy drops and besides that it's running around picking up armor, health and power-ups to make sure you keep the advantage. Nothing more. Nothing less.

My personal conclusion in the review is that I've "moved on". We all look back to those days as if they were perfect but that's nostalgia. After playing class-based MP like Enemy Territory, Dirty Bomb and the awesome Overwatch beta... I can no longer find my satisfaction in the pew pew mentioned above.

What? Everyone tried the multiplayer beta. It's NOTHING like the old game or early-mid 90's gameplay. It's a mix of the modern call of dutys and halos. The team who worked on it worked on call of duty and halo. There's absolutely no Doom in there.

Edit: with that said, if you like the gameplay and speed of Halo with the unlocks and loadouts of Call of Duty, you'll enjoy this. It's mostly bland though.

They've also mixed up Doom with Quake. It's a poor version of Quake 3 / Live. I don't know what they were thinking.

I really wish they just went for Co-op instead.

125. Re: DOOM Released May 14, 2016, 19:34 bigspender

nin wrote on May 14, 2016, 15:57:
bigspender wrote on May 14, 2016, 07:58:
http://s32.postimg.org/hottvgxth/Doo_M4.png

Pretty much this. It's fairly fun to play, but it's not the Doom I was after, and it wears thin very fast.

Except the left image isn't classic doom, either. That's a mod. So they're now saying classic doom wasn't good enough, either?

They're saying they wanted something that feels like old Doom, but with a bit of extra bang. The developers missed the mark when they made their checklist of things that makes Doom the game it is.

But one guy got it right, and that was Sergeant Mark IV. He understood exactly what was fun about Doom and fine tuned it into Brutal Doom, which is infinitely more fun than the new game. He's modernised Doom the right way.

I guess, Brutal Doom is a product of passion. And new Doom is just a product.

Now if there was a way to get gameplay and grit of Brutal Doom into a id Tech 6 game engine. That would truly be spectacular.

This comment was edited on May 14, 2016, 19:53.

124. Re: DOOM Released May 14, 2016, 19:32 bigspender

Bumpy wrote on May 14, 2016, 08:03:
bigspender wrote on May 14, 2016, 07:58:

Pretty much this. It's fairly fun to play, but it's not the Doom I was after, and it wears thin very fast.

I don't get it. I don't have the game yet but all seems to point that Doom 2016 is classic Doom updated on modern hardware.

What is Doom 2016 missing?

It's not a bad game, but whats's missing is the essence of Doom. The game now has an identity crisis, and instead of being a class leading example like the original two games, it's now just an "alright, not bad" shooter that's trying to appeal to every demographic possible, instead of playing it cool and being itself. It's a cover song. It's blatantly made from a checklist instead of natural artistic ability. I'm going to be very critical because from Doom I expect near perfection, because I don't see the point of redoing a game if it's not going to be better than the original.

I have to say though, the music is very good in the new Doom.

Visuals:
The grit, is missing. Everything, even hell and blood looks clean, giving the levels a plastic toy-set like quality. The monsters look like they're right out of Toy Story or a pixar movie. They don't come across like they are a threat. When a baron of hell jumps out, my brain doesn't go "Holy shit this thing is dangerous, I'd better do something". Everything looks very small too. It ends up giving feeling like there is nothing at stake, and you're just playing with toys or figurines.
Don't get me wrong, everything looks AMAZING, especially how smooth it runs given the quality of the visuals. I don't know if it's an id Tech 6 thing, but the visuals are really sharp and clear. But the art style just destroys it.
The skeptic in me is starting to think they made them look like this so they sell the monsters as toys. But it's probably just the trend of giving enemies "personality".

Level Design
Maze like level are missing. Again we've got some very beautiful environments, but they are clean, polished and sterile, it's like the mars facility housed a bunch of cleaners instead of scientists.

Instead of these intimidating gritty concrete and metal labyrinths of military and scientific installations we have shiny skate park like arena's. It feels like a game, and not so much an experience or a fight for survival.

It gets really repetitive, especially in hell. I know the old dooms used the lock-in mechanic, but wasn't every other room. In some levels, it is every room.

Gunplay
The "I'm a badass with a dangerous weapon" is missing.
The guns don't feel like they have any lethality to them. The plasma rifle for example looks like it's shooting water balloons.

The shotgun doesn't have a rhythm, and even though it will turn something into mince meat up close, it doesn't feel it's doing any damage, I'm not really sure how to put it into words, other than it just doesn't feel right.

Gameplay
It's fast, and I love that aspect. It almost feels right, almost. But there is something very artificial about it. The game just doesn't seem organic like the first two games. It doesn't play like a finely tuned and balanced game. It's more like the way a randomly generated game would play (even though nothing is actually randomly generated). Unsatisfying somehow.

I felt like I had to make my own fun kind, with it. I can't quite put my finger on it but there is something not right about it.

Maybe it's the way health and ammo pops out of the monsters. It destroys the tension, you're only one melee kill off getting near full health again.

The way you take damage is also strange to me, it doesn't seem like things hurt you, it's just a number. Where as other games you really feel like you're getting shot or whatever, and you're doing your best to avoid it. Here it's not really a concern somehow.

Misc

Another thing I found weird was the way they treated hell. It was like they were almost taking the mickey out of the first two games by the way the narrative holograms were talking about using hell "energy" to power the mars facility. And the way the computer talks about hell. "Demon levels at critical". Just seems weird.

I ended up enjoying it somewhat when I did the following:
Remove the HUD.
Remove the flashing monsters.
Remove big cross-hairs (or remove all together).
Turn off the story/voices in audio.

But I've uninstalled it just before the second time you go to hell. It got way too repetitive by then.

This comment was edited on May 15, 2016, 02:17.

104. Re: DOOM Released May 14, 2016, 07:58 bigspender

News Comments > Out of the Blue
44. Re: Out of the Blue May 12, 2016, 22:21 bigspender

Redmask wrote on May 12, 2016, 07:28:
This discussion reminds me of watching Forks over Knives where one quack doctor actually claims that putting people on a plant based diet will cure diabetes. Just because a doctor put it into a book means nothing, you really have to watch his sourcing and peer reviews.

Actually, any good diet can cure type 2 diabetes, scientifically proven. If you do it early enough before too many beta cells in the pancreas are destroyed, then you can completely cure it, after that the severity varies, but at least it's not getting worse. With their doctors monitoring most people will lower and even get off their diabetes meds within a few weeks.

A plant based whole foods diet is great at this, because unprocessed foods cause a lower insulin release. An apple might have the same amount of sugar as a candy/chocolate bar, but the insulin response is dramatically lower from the apple.

So even for type 1 diabetes, it's a good way to keep your insulin and blood sugar levels more consistent and predictable.

Also, I found it very interesting that sugar has taken the blame for diabetes. While refined sugar doesn't help, your body can deal with it very well if you don't have the fat blocking the ability of cells to absorb the sugar, so it stays in your blood and does damage. https://youtu.be/fZtPGyLaiHE?t=1655

With the How Not To Die Book, he references every claim he makes, and the reference list alone takes up 150 pages of the book. Some studies are small, but the important ones are tens of thousands of people, some going for 30+ years.

That's one of the things that surprised me the most, I had no idea about how much research happens and how large scale it is. I had always just assumed it was small scale or just a few students doing a thesis etc, but I couldn't have been more wrong.

23. Re: Out of the Blue May 12, 2016, 21:51 bigspender

SunnyD wrote on May 12, 2016, 19:46:
Pigeon wrote on May 12, 2016, 17:01:
I remember hearing or reading somewhere that Fahrenheit is generally better for relating temperature in increments that align more with human comfort levels.

I remember reading the same thing http://cdn.webfail.com/upl/img/d3e1289c2ee/post2.jpg

Fahrenheit just seems warm and fuzzier.

~Finis~

I've grown up with celsius so I might be biased, but seems easy to remember that at 0 degrees water freezes solid, and 100 degrees water boils into a gas.

News Comments > DOOM Trailers
39. Re: DOOM Trailers May 12, 2016, 20:15 bigspender

nin wrote on May 12, 2016, 18:43:
Creston wrote on May 12, 2016, 12:20:
Yeah, the video above and remembering that they were doing the brilliant snapmap has kind of gotten me interested now, whereas before I had basically zero interest.

I was the exact same way - until Ventura mentioned it the other day, I'd totally written the game off. But with snapmap and the AI director optionally spawning things, it looks sounds like we're only limited by peoples imaginations...

I'm actually a little worried that snap-map is a poor replacement for true mod support.

http://www.pcgamer.com/doom-will-not-get-mod-support-in-addition-to-snapmap/

News Comments > Three Unannounced CAPCOM Games Coming
10. Re: Three Unannounced CAPCOM Games Coming May 10, 2016, 19:12 bigspender

Beamer wrote on May 10, 2016, 14:23:
Wetworks wrote on May 10, 2016, 10:24:
If they did simple stuff like pull the camera back, give us fov options and focus more on smoothing the shooting and controls it could be fun.

Most of that is a design choice, though. Pulling the camera back and giving FOV options makes the game far less claustrophobic. Making shooting easier makes you less vulnerable.

I'm not saying these are good choices - I hate the RE games. But those choices are less "we're too lazy" and more "this is exactly what we want."

And a bit of "we don't know what we are doing" as well I think. Because from the camera, to the controls, the way the character moved etc Was all set up for a survival shooter game, but it was much more of an action game, and the result was an action game with bad controls.

It had some cool parts in it for sure, but it was difficult to enjoy with all of the frustrating things they had.

IIRC it had built in FOV, but you couldn't even get into the options screen until after you finished playing the 15+ minute or so tutorial level, and watch a bunch of unskippable cutscenes, FAIL.

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
1. Re: Hardware Reviews May 10, 2016, 19:05 bigspender

After using an Ergodox keyboard for a few months now, I can highly recommend any keyboard that has the keys staggered vertically instead of horizontally.

After about 4 hours of Typing of the Dead: Overkill I was pretty comfortable with the staggered keys. It took me around a week or so get back to my normal typing speed, and now I type around 10wpm faster and with much more accuracy.

And of course I no longer feel like a clapping seal when I'm using a keyboard since it's easy to put each 1/2 of the keyboard exactly where it's comfortable.

Even something like a Truely Ergonomic 227/229 seems like a great keyboard if you type all day.

News Comments > SEUM- Speedrunners From Hell Announced
1. Re: SEUM- Speedrunners From Hell Announced May 10, 2016, 18:48 bigspender

The strafe jumping looks the SEUM as old school games.......(sorry)  

News Comments > DOOM @ 200 FPS Under Vulkan
46. Re: DOOM @ 200 FPS Under Vulkan May 9, 2016, 18:49 bigspender

ItBurn wrote on May 9, 2016, 11:13:
The game doesn't look like doom. He's fighting aliens in a clean space station, not demons in a dirty mars facility.

This! It's mass effect / halo with a Disney influence on the 3D models.

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
4. Re: Sunday Safety Dance May 9, 2016, 02:26 bigspender

jdreyer wrote on May 8, 2016, 19:28:
Good news on the brain cancer front. Still gonna use a headset for my calls tho. Safer, and more comfortable.

This. Being on the safe side in this case is even more comfortable then why not.

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
4. Re: Sunday Mobilization May 9, 2016, 01:18 bigspender

eRe4s3r wrote on May 8, 2016, 20:06:
bigspender wrote on May 8, 2016, 18:42:
The last 10 years or so of technology hasn't really done much to improve the peoples lifestyles, not the mainstream technology anyway. Most devices are just portals into their own stores.

When mobile/cell phones became popular, it let everyone stay in contact, improving communication, but what have smart phones done? Allowed people to update their twitter accounts?

Seems like humans are the limiting factor now to how much technology helps us.

We have now access to the internet everywhere though, and the internet does not just mean twitter and facebook

In fact I see it totally opposite, to me smart-phones were always totally pointless, I don't want to be callable everywhere every time someone else thinks he might want to call me. Now that I have a tablet I also the extra feature that if someone steals it I can sic the police on their asses thanks to recovery tracking.

So there are a few uses for internet access independent of your location

Yeah I guess you're right, it has its uses. Just like anything I guess, it can be used for good things, or just pure indulgence and procrastination.

4. Re: Out of the Blue May 8, 2016, 23:58 bigspender

Phasenoise wrote on May 8, 2016, 21:39:
Claycat DOOM is amazing.

We've seen a few wool theme games, I wonder if someone will write a shader to give games a clay look.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
1. Re: Steam Top 10 May 8, 2016, 18:46 bigspender

Dark Souls 3, still at the #1 spot. No wonder I keep getting invaded!

No surprises, it's best of the series. DS1 had some of the best level design I think, but it had some very frustrating things that made playing with friends very hard (no filtering, and you couldn't teleport to bonfires until late in the game, so you'd have to fight your way back and forth to keep up with friends).

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
1. Re: Sunday Mobilization May 8, 2016, 18:42 bigspender

The last 10 years or so of technology hasn't really done much to improve the peoples lifestyles, not the mainstream technology anyway. Most devices are just portals into their own stores.

When mobile/cell phones became popular, it let everyone stay in contact, improving communication, but what have smart phones done? Allowed people to update their twitter accounts?

Seems like humans are the limiting factor now to how much technology helps us.

42. Re: Out of the Blue May 7, 2016, 01:40 bigspender

Beamer wrote on May 6, 2016, 20:16:
bigspender wrote on May 6, 2016, 17:59:
Beamer wrote on May 6, 2016, 17:45:
bigspender wrote on May 6, 2016, 17:36:
rudra wrote on May 6, 2016, 11:39:
The eggs he ate have the equivalent cholesterol of two Burger King whoppers per egg, or measured in terms of lifespan reduction, he's just smoked 4 cigarettes per egg. This is what causes heart attack and stroke, the narrowing of arteries that supply blood to the brain and heart, eventually narrowing so much that blood doesn't flow to critical areas. Even when the arteries are slightly narrowed, a bit of blood flow can rip off the cholesterol plaque from the side of the artery, causing a blood clot which again would stop the blood flow to a critical area. Skinny or not, this process will happen, as long as the cholesterol laden foods keep being eaten.

completely and utterly retarded... so wrong on so many levels

im done

Oh really?

https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/heartattack/causes
A heart attack happens if the flow of oxygen-rich blood to a section of heart muscle suddenly becomes blocked and the heart can't get oxygen. Most heart attacks occur as a result of coronary heart disease (CHD). CHD is a condition in which a waxy substance called plaque builds up inside of the coronary arteries.

Do you ever wonder why Atkins (the guy that invented the no carbs, lots of meat and fat diet) had a history of cardiovascular disease, had a heart attack and died as a result of hitting his dead during the heart attack. This happens to everyone on this type of diet, eventually.

Cardiovascular disease is completely optional. Read: Preventing Heart Disease by Dr. Cadwell Esselstyn.

You went from "eggs are like smoking 4 cigarettes" to "CHD is caused by plaque" and "lots of meat and fat are bad for you."

Increasingly, science is proving that "eggs cause heart attacks" is incorrect and bad science. Nothing you've said contradicts this, even if absolutely, positively correct.

I mentioned eggs, meat, and fat because they are all sources of cholesterol. Smoking also causes atherosclerosis, so eggs and cigarettes can be roughly compared in terms of how much they coat the arteries.

Why do you think it is illegal for the US egg board to advertise eggs using the words "healthy" and "nutritious"

Like I said, read the books, because no matter what I seem to say someone will pick it apart, I'd rather you guys get the information first hand, where it's explained in more than two sentences by a professional. I'm mearly trying to generate interest in actual science that hasn't been influenced by the sponsor.

Except the Egg Board calls eggs these things non-stop on their site.

Sorry, your science is bunk. The rest of the books may be good, but your campaign against eggs here is just ill-advised. It's based off of 1980s understanding of nutrition, back in the days when we had a food pyramid and feared fat.

Your Dr. Greger cites a 2001 study that eggs are bad. [Here's a 2006 study contradicting it.](http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16340654)

Dr. Greger likes to point out all the ad money paying for pro-egg studies. But Dr. Greger is very anti anything from animals. Hmm, let's look at who pays his salary... The Humane Society. Interesting. Seems like some of the arguments he makes could apply to him, no?

Usually fad diets, and your advocacy here comes across as fad-ish as most other diets, work not because the nutrition is perfect but because people are finally paying attention to what they're eating and doing something to keep most of the processed garbage out, as well as going more balanced and moderating most ingredients. To say eating one egg is the equivalent of smoking 4 cigarettes is... really, really strange. Eating the occasional steak won't kill you. Eating an egg breakfast when out for brunch on Sunday won't shorten your lifespan. Avoiding this stuff like the plague is insanity - life is too short, anyway. Lentils are great, and are the primary source of protein in many of my meals, but swapping every time you'd eat eggs for lentils 100% of the time isn't going to make you live to 100.

Yet Dr. Greger's and Dr. Esselstyns are the only diets that prevent and reverse the #1 killer (infact the top 15 or so). That is the only criteria you need

1172 Comments. 59 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo