Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for bigspender

Real Name bigspender   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname bigspender
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description no co-op = no purchase
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 7, 2006, 02:54
Total Comments 1115 (Pro)
User ID 24495

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
20. Re: Out of the Blue May 5, 2016, 19:39 bigspender

BobBob wrote on May 5, 2016, 19:34:
bigspender wrote on May 5, 2016, 19:06:
Some of these books are so out of fashion you can buy them for less than a $1 on amazon or any 2nd hand store, so it's essentially free to try.

I think it's great that you are trying to help people get healthy. Hopefully, some will read the books. Thumbsup

Thanks, I just hope I'm not coming across as a Jehovah's witness or some cultist with my enthusiasm LOL

This comment was edited on May 5, 2016, 20:06.

18. Re: Out of the Blue May 5, 2016, 19:06 bigspender

Retired wrote on May 5, 2016, 12:31:
Flatline wrote on May 5, 2016, 12:11:
sauron wrote on May 5, 2016, 11:28:
A new Biggest Loser study shows why it's so hard to lose weight and keep it off

The NY Times also has a great article on that scientific study, which has been published in the journal Obesity . The study, and the commentary in the Times article, are really insightful:

NY Times Biggest Loser article

Link to full study, and summary

Note that the Times only allows 10 free articles a month, and the original study may need a subscription but the summary page is free.

A physicist in one of the forums I hung out on had issues with the study format itself. It used a particularly high-aiming equation to estimate resting metabolic rate, whereas the standard equation that is considered most accurate was 50% closer to actual measured metabolic rates. The regression curve that they used was possibly overly simplistic, and he also mentioned from his reading of the study that it appears that if metabolic "damage" can occur, it seems to be related not to the rate of caloric expenditure that your lean mass goes through, but moreso there's a reduction of calories based on fat mass.

Takeaway: The study has some issues that might skew the data towards the more dramatic end of results, and if you lose weight, do yourself a favor and bulk up a little and put some muscle on.

Why is it so hard to keep off weight? Well, cause when you are on the show, it is YOUR JOB to work out all day and be fit. In the real world, we have real jobs, families, responsibilities. Finding 4+ hours a day to go to the gym just isn't that easy....

I got pneumonia a couple months ago, super bad. I lost 12 pounds, I have been able to keep 10 of them off just by managing portions. I love to eat, but reaching that age where I need to keep things in check a bit.....sucks. If I were to get back into a workout routine, I am sure I could drop 10 more, which I think is considered "ideal" for my body type....currently cruising along at about 185 (took a dump this AM).

The biggest thing I have noticed with my weight gain is the sleep apnea has kicked in. The more weight I gain the worse it gets. Drunk sleeping also makes it 10x worse. I think 200 is the most I have put on. It is crazy the difference between 195 and 200, not just a mind thing, but how I "feel" moving around.

I'm the same way, I LOVE eating, I love great food. Check out my post below (post #16). I've been stuffing my face with mexican, asian, italian, indian, burritos, burgers, pies, pizzas you name it, and no f**cken salads

I've been losing weight steadily over the last 2 years, my cholesterol and blood pressure are now that of a child. Not gloating, just pointing out that there is definitely a way that works and is easy to do for a normal person. My lifestyle consists of sitting at the computer for 15hrs a day...

You probably wonder why you've never heard of this? I did too, and well, there is no money in steady permanent results. So they don't have the budgets of these "get thin quick" scams.

Some of these books are so out of fashion you can buy them for less than a $1 on amazon or any 2nd hand store, so it's essentially free to try.

This comment was edited on May 5, 2016, 19:29.

17. Re: Out of the Blue May 5, 2016, 18:55 bigspender

Cutter wrote on May 5, 2016, 12:49:
Intermittent fasting like the 5 2 diet is the only way to do it. It's far healthier too. After all, that's how we evolved. The Fast Mimicking Diet is interesting too but still needs a lot of research. Here's a an interesting study with some hard science on it.

FMD

Sauron, given your background I'd appreciate you chiming it on it.

The problem with intermittent fasting is that you're getting intermittent nutrients. You'll lose weight fast for sure, but when it comes to health, you want steady, consistent and permanent results. Nutrient intake is the key to health, not calorie counting (see my post below).

Also with many of these fasting style diets, you're just losing water content from your body, instead of depleting your adipose tissue.

I'd be vary careful of diets that make claims of "that's how we evolved" many people mistake survival and evolution as the same thing, and marketers take advantage of it. For example people that live on the north pole have a very high fat diet which they survive on, enough to reproduce, but they are certainly not evolved for it, as their angiograms would show.
Don't even get me started on the Paleo diet people *shakes fist*

And, just as I expected they tell you to eat large amounts of saturated fat, aka, one the major causes of heart disease which kills a person every 8 seconds in the US alone.

Lastly, any diet that is exploiting a survival mechanism (ketosis) is not going to be healthy. Ketosis is a last measure to stop people from starving to death when food is unavailable, not a regular function of the human body, and does a lot of harm. The definition of ketosis is "abnormal fat metabolism" after all.

This comment was edited on May 5, 2016, 21:34.

16. Re: Out of the Blue May 5, 2016, 18:46 bigspender

sauron wrote on May 5, 2016, 11:28:
A new Biggest Loser study shows why it's so hard to lose weight and keep it off

The NY Times also has a great article on that scientific study, which has been published in the journal Obesity . The study, and the commentary in the Times article, are really insightful:

NY Times Biggest Loser article

Link to full study, and summary

Note that the Times only allows 10 free articles a month, and the original study may need a subscription but the summary page is free.

I've said it before many times here, and at the risk of you guys rolling your eyes at me: Eat more food, to lose more weight

The trick is though to eat filling whole plant foods. Beans, potatoes (sweet is better), rice (brown is better), whole grain breads, whole meal pasta.

If you are truly interested in permanently losing weight read any of these books below, eat their hearty meals, and you'll be losing weight at average of 2.5kg a month. Doesn't sound like a lot, but after 2 years that's 60kg. and that's WITHOUT EXERCISE!

The Starch Solution - Dr John McDougall
The Negative Calorie Effect - Dr Neal Barnard
Power Foods for the Mind - Dr Neal Barnard
Engine #2 Diet - Rip Esselstyn
21 Day Weightloss Kickstart - Dr. Neal Barnard.

Or if you want just a pure scientific view (no recipes in this one though) there is always "How Not To Die" by Dr. Michael Greger of nutritionfacts.org

I keep banging on about this because I was overweight, and I didn't want to believe the real science. I was dazzled by all the bro-science....it took me all 6 books to get it into my thick head that the science was real. But any one of those books will give steady, permanent results, unlike any diet.

Here's to stuffing your face and losing weight! PERMANENTLY

News Comments > Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War III Announced
12. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War III Announced May 3, 2016, 22:57 bigspender

Trevellian wrote on May 3, 2016, 22:21:
Gameplay or GTFO. Tired of CG trailers.

+1 I wanna see gameplay not CG that has nothing to do with what the game will be like.

News Comments > Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare Announced; CoD4 Remaster Confirmed
47. Re: Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare Announced; CoD4 Remaster Confirmed May 3, 2016, 01:26 bigspender

jdreyer wrote on May 2, 2016, 14:22:
- Didn't we already have some CoD partly in space? Ghosts I think? I didn't play it, just remember the trailers.

- It looks like they've upgraded the engine finally. It's looking pretty sharp.

- Dudebro sci-fi. Still, looks kinda cool.

- I preferred the campaigns of the MWs over BLOPs. Here's to hoping they stick to the former.

- The original MW campaign was a lot of fun, playing a remastered version with modern graphics will be cool.

- I'm sure there's some work to remaster MW, but it's a small fraction of creating the game from scratch. Including it in order to charge $80 for the base game of IW is a neat trick. Expect more of this going forward. This is the new normal for these games.

For sure. I'm torn between the SCI-FI vs the dude-bro take on it all.

I hope a 2142 will fix that. Although BF4 was a bit on the dude bro side too.

I guess there is still the Deathwing FPS by Struem to look forward to.

News Comments > Space Hulk: Deathwing Gameplay Trailer
17. Re: Space Hulk: Deathwing Gameplay Trailer Apr 30, 2016, 03:37 bigspender

Damn this is exactly the type of game I've been waiting for!

Everything about it looks great so far.

News Comments > DOOM Single-Player Video
57. Re: DOOM Single-Player Video Apr 29, 2016, 23:08 bigspender

Xero wrote on Apr 29, 2016, 17:59:
You guys want a true Doom feeling sequel, grab yourself a FREE copy of Brutal Doom (provided you have one of the older Doom games on Steam), and enjoy.
It's so damn fast, fluid, gory as hell, and well, it's DOOM. Incredibly addicting due to the modern updated FPS controls and speed at which you mow down hordes of Demons.
If they charged for it, I would of happily paid.

Here here!

21. Re: DOOM Single-Player Video Apr 29, 2016, 01:00 bigspender

Hump wrote on Apr 28, 2016, 21:39:
Looks fine to me. Jesus Christ people, get a grip on yourselves.

It does look fine. That's the problem, it's not EXCELLENT, just fine. It needs to be excellent because it has a lot to live up to. Most people don't want the sequel of the FPS that started it all end up as just another Doom clone.

Also it simply does not feel anything like Doom. This is not Doom.

This comment was edited on Apr 29, 2016, 01:57.

20. Re: DOOM Single-Player Video Apr 29, 2016, 00:57 bigspender

The gameplay and gunplay look fairly good, but graphics are so clean, and well halo like. Where's the space grit!?

I think I'll wait until this is on special and there are plenty of mods that turn in it back into Doom. Assuming of course that it has mod support...

EDIT:
HOLY CRAP THE PLASMA RIFLE LOOKS LIKE A WATER BALLON CANNON!

Hell is like a kids cartoon.

Nope nope nope

This comment was edited on Apr 29, 2016, 01:56.

News Comments > John Romero's BLACKROOM Kickstarter
24. Re: John Romero's BLACKROOM Kickstarter Apr 25, 2016, 19:19 bigspender

Kxmode wrote on Apr 25, 2016, 19:02:
BLACKROOM is metal. It features a new soundtrack and compositions by acclaimed metal guitarist George Lynch, frequently cited as one of the best metal guitarists in the world.

I'm pretty sure Slash from Guns N' Roses is one of the best metal guitarists in the world. His solo part in November Rain is crazy!

I dunno if most people would define Guns N' Roses as metal. It's more somewhere between Glam and Hard rock. Not that it takes away from the November rain solo.
Although now that I think about many of the bands Lynch was in are very glam rock too. *shrugs*

What I really came here to do is, to say that this game will be an epic fail.

News Comments > DOOM PC Support Details
5. Re: DOOM PC Support Details Apr 22, 2016, 22:37 bigspender

NotOneOfUs wrote on Apr 22, 2016, 21:29:
Where's the setting to make it not feel like Halo?

Haha this!

I hope this thing at least has mod support so someone can mod the Doom back in to it.

I guess this will probably die like Quake 4....

News Comments > AER Trailer
2. Re: AER Trailer Apr 21, 2016, 16:59 bigspender

Cutter wrote on Apr 21, 2016, 09:47:
If the only thing you can do is fly around and check out the game world shouldn't that world at least be beautiful and visually interesting?

Maybe one day PCs will get fast enough so they can map textures onto polygons!

News Comments > Dark Souls III Sales Record
13. Re: Dark Souls III Sales Record Apr 18, 2016, 17:28 bigspender

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 18, 2016, 12:04:
What if someone skipped DS1 and DS2 because of you know.. fucking horrible ports? Worth to play?
Yes!
To me it plays like a cross between resident evil 4 and street fighter 2 with swords

But also I think that Dark Souls 3 is the best one yet. It is what made the first one so interesting, and with all of the polish and balancing that was needed.

News Comments > DOOM Open Beta Extended
17. Re: DOOM Open Beta Extended Apr 18, 2016, 04:09 bigspender

VaranDragon wrote on Apr 18, 2016, 03:55:
Suppa7 wrote on Apr 18, 2016, 03:47:
The new Doom has captured the atmosphere of the original game perfectly.

It's captured the original Halo perfectly. It's Quake 3 with a Halo skin.

But original doom, nowhere to be seen.

News Comments > DOOM Open Beta Extended
16. Re: DOOM Open Beta Extended Apr 18, 2016, 04:08 bigspender

RaZ0r! wrote on Apr 17, 2016, 23:00:
Looking at the reviews of it on Steam I'm not convinced people are asking for another day.

If iD are going to be going by what people are asking for, then we should be seeing DooM killed with fire very soon

News Comments > DOOM Open Beta Opens
35. Re: DOOM Open Beta Opens Apr 16, 2016, 01:21 bigspender

They've really stuffed it by trying to combine halo, cod, quake and doom into one game.

It's hard to tell from a MP arena shooter what the single player campaign will be like, but it's so far not captured the essence of the original Doom games.

News Comments > Into the Black
15. Re: Into the Black Apr 15, 2016, 00:41 bigspender

Cutter wrote on Apr 14, 2016, 21:52:
Avatar sucked more balls than a Hoover at a ping pong tournament. Seriously, not even the fucking tree huggers want more of this tripe.

As the resident tree hugger. I concur.

14. Re: Into the Black Apr 15, 2016, 00:40 bigspender

I can't wait for more complicated human, environmental and capitalistic issues be explored on a surface level via blue people.....IN 3D!  

7. Re: Into the Black Apr 9, 2016, 04:25 bigspender

It's such a simple solution, someone just has to invent a car that runs on plastic and turns into clean water. EASY right?  

1115 Comments. 56 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo