Total Posts
1920 (Pro)
User ID
Search For:
Sort Results:
Ascending
Descending
Limit Results:

1920 Comments. 96 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16    96  ] Older

Re: PC God of War in January
Oct 21, 2021, 05:37
Re: PC God of War in January Oct 21, 2021, 05:37
Oct 21, 2021, 05:37

Is this the one where you play as a roided up abusive single parent guided only by toxic masculinity?

Re: Elden Ring Delayed
Oct 19, 2021, 00:13
Re: Elden Ring Delayed Oct 19, 2021, 00:13
Oct 19, 2021, 00:13

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 18, 2021, 21:50:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 18, 2021, 19:51:
Love the artwork in the trailer, but I don't think Souls-likes are for me. I've tried DS a few times now, can't even get past the first boss.
We must be kindred spirits.
I don't know if I ever made it to the first boss before I quit.
One thing that particularly perturbed me was I'm playing along and someone else hops into my game. That's not what I wanted in my sp game so i disconnected from the internet and continued on ... until i quit

The trick with Dark Souls games is knowing the game, rather than being good or by brute force. The first thing to know is that the start of the game is the hardest part. You have the least health, stamina and least amount of options, and nobody to summon. Once you start leveling up your character and gear and items, you'll have an optimal way to approach everything.

This is what I recommend for anyone finding these games too hard:

• Use a controller on PC. It makes a world of difference.

• Start with Dark Souls 3, it has far more bonfires (i.e. save points) than others, and most boss fights you can summon an NPC or two to help, so it's not as detrimental to play offline. (or you can always go online for the boss fights and ask for help on the co-op discord text chat).

• Always talk to NPC's to make them appear at boss fights as summonable. Keep talking until they start repeating their dialog.

• Pick the Knight as a starting class. His shield blocks 100% physical, so you can basically block everything early game, including giant boss weapons, you will have the highest starting HP and best armour so taking a hit isn't such a big deal.

• Pick Fire Gem as starting gift. Almost everything is weak to fire early game. (apply it your weapon when you reach Firelink Shrine blacksmith)

How to do combat as a knight
  • Always lock on to the enemy.
  • Always fight 1 on 1. Separate multiple enemies by backing up, or even turn around and run away to draw them apart. At the very least fight them in choke points where they have to line up. Use ranged weapons and items to separate enemies
  • When you want to engage an enemy, hold your shield up. Always keep it up. Only ever lower your shield if you need to regenerate your stamina, get out of range or behind them first.
  • Option 1 With your shield held up, walk as close as possible to the enemy, wait for them to hit your shield and bounce off, now attack them back while they are still recovering. If you have enough stamina that should allow you to keep attacking until they die.
  • Option 2 With your shield held up, walk as close as possible to the enemy, keep circling around them, they will turn, but eventually stop turning to attack, and this lets you get behind them. Line yourself up so you are behind their right shoulder, press light attack. This will back stab them, and probably kill them instantly.
  • Generally you can block anything, but sometimes it's better to roll out of the way, like if you have depleted stamina and the next hit will stagger you. Roll out of the way, back it up, and let your stamina regenerate. Then re-engage the enemy.

Kill Gundyr (the first boss)

• Beat the shit out of him during his rising animation, then allow your stamina to regen so that you can block.
  • This is an endurance fight, so unlike the smaller enemies where you can afford to exhaust your stamina to kill them quickly with multiple blows, this won't work here. You need to manage your stamina appropriately.
  • Your shield up, stand as close as possible, and keep circling around to the back of him.
  • Only attack him after he swings. If he hits you and you block it, attack him once. If his swing misses, attack him twice.
  • Only drop your shield after he swings (to regen your stamina)
  • Only drink your healing estus after he swings.
  • Think of it as action points or a rhythm game. You get one action after he swings, you can either heal HP, regenerate stamina, or attack. Do only one of these. Then wait for his next attack to block or miss
  • He will eventually transform into some giant black good monster. But the strategy above still applies. Stand right up close, shield up, wait for his attack to get blocked or miss, then hit back once or twice.
  • If he jumps, keeping blocking, but back it up (you can roll if you want too, but it's safer to block and take the stamina hit, rather than a potential health hit if you roll poorly). Then go in close again.
  • Don't worry about dying, the bonfire is only 2 enemies away, and think of this as a tutorial or practice arena, because getting a feel for the above tactic is basically how the knight defeats everything.
  • You can also use firebombs if you found them. They are very effective after he transforms. But again same principle, only throw them after you've blocked or dodged his attack one at a time.

Upgrades

• Get to FireLink Shrine by avoiding as many enemies as you can. Then get the blacksmith to infuse your weapon with the fire gem. Not only does it do far more damage, fire often makes enemies freak out so they don't attack back for a short period. Now it will be easy to clear the whole firelink shrine area and find all of the goodies.
  • Explore Firelink shrine, there is a way to run up a tree to jump onto the roof, and there is a secret in the ceiling with an estus shard, this gives you an extra swig of your health drink.
  • Reinforce for your sword with titanite shards.
  • Optional fight: You are too low level to fairly fight the guy in rags with a samurai sword. But you can kick him off the cliff with a bit of practice. Stand near the edge, then circle around him to swap positions. Either attack furiously, or kick. Or you can use firebombs or throwing knives to attack him from the safety of the roof, and finish him off with a drop attack for massive damage.

• As you progress throughout the game: first level up your health to 20 as a minimum, after that do 20 stamina. This will increase your survivablitiy dramatically.
  • After that level up your strength or dexterity or both depending on weapon you settle on.

• After you kill the 2nd Boss, keep his soul to make a frost hammer (but it's two handed). Then get the frost sword (Irytherill Straight Sword) reasonably early in the game. You can upgrade all 3 of these weapons to use as needed for the entire game with good effect.

• If you want to keep playing the knight style, then go with 40 vitality, 40 stamina, 40 strength, 40 dex. You'll also be good with bows or crossbows with these stats, so use them to your advantage.

Pyro

Pyromancer is also a good option for new comers imo. Your gear isn't as good, but the fireball spell makes up for that, since you can now attack enemies without getting into their striking range. You'll want to level up your attunment stat to increase your mana. Leveling up vitality is also always a good choice. Instead of blocking, rolling is preferable. At least until you find a good shield. You can of course start as a pyro, and then turn him into a knight, or vice versa to get the best of both worlds. Starting classes really are just picking what your starting equipment and skills are, there's really no reason to stick to a your starting class going forward. As long as you level up the right stats, you will be effective in which ever combination of equipment and skills you use the most.

PS Playing Co-op with a friend makes the game far easier since one of you will always be hitting the enemies in the back. And this is a good tactic for bosses. If you only attack the boss while he is focused on someone else, then you will rarely take a hit. So just keep taking turns with your coop friend or NPC to attack or defend.

This comment was edited on Oct 19, 2021, 00:56.

Re: Battlefield 2042 Hazard Zone Unveiled
Oct 14, 2021, 18:26
Re: Battlefield 2042 Hazard Zone Unveiled Oct 14, 2021, 18:26
Oct 14, 2021, 18:26

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Oct 14, 2021, 17:21:
So like a shitty escape from tarkov almost..

Seems highly inspired by CoD Warzone as you can buy player's back. And also the level in the trailer is quite reminiscent of the warzone map, with the ferris wheel and docks etc

Re: Battlefield 2042 Hazard Zone Unveiled
Oct 14, 2021, 18:24
Re: Battlefield 2042 Hazard Zone Unveiled Oct 14, 2021, 18:24
Oct 14, 2021, 18:24

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 14, 2021, 12:05:
So nevermind getting the core mechanics right, lets just show more game modes?

They would have separate teams working on game modes and another team working on core mechanics. It's a big studio, they are capable of doing plenty in parallel ;-)

Re: BF2042 Development Woes?
Oct 12, 2021, 01:35
Re: BF2042 Development Woes? Oct 12, 2021, 01:35
Oct 12, 2021, 01:35

Heltorne wrote on Oct 12, 2021, 01:07:
bigspender wrote on Oct 11, 2021, 22:15:
CoD and BF are effectively the same dish cooked by different restaurants, why shouldn't they inspire each other? There's nothing wrong with being inspired from good game mechanics, which there are a few in CoD Warzone. In fact I often wonder why games take steps backwards when well established features from a previous generation of games are removed in a sequel or new competitor. The accumulation of well regarded features and game mechanics is how you keep a games moving forward - I'm not talking about bloat, (I'm looking at you warframe) but little things like hit confirmation markers or being able to scale fences and walls of a certain height.

I actually found myself missing the lean/cover/mounting system from CoD Warzone.

Cod Warzone has no destruction. How is 2042 building and environmental/world destruction?? Is it more like Battlefield 4 or BC 2 or Battlefield V (essentially none)?

You could decimate walls BFBC2 style, but I didn't see any buildings actually collapse. You could blow up oil silos and of course the giant space rocket on the launcher. In the gameplay trailer a few months ago they had a few more things being destroyed, so maybe they're still working on something that has a big impact on gameplay which would be cool.

Re: BF2042 Development Woes?
Oct 11, 2021, 22:15
Re: BF2042 Development Woes? Oct 11, 2021, 22:15
Oct 11, 2021, 22:15

CoD and BF are effectively the same dish cooked by different restaurants, why shouldn't they inspire each other? There's nothing wrong with being inspired from good game mechanics, which there are a few in CoD Warzone. In fact I often wonder why games take steps backwards when well established features from a previous generation of games are removed in a sequel or new competitor. The accumulation of well regarded features and game mechanics is how you keep a games moving forward - I'm not talking about bloat, (I'm looking at you warframe) but little things like hit confirmation markers or being able to scale fences and walls of a certain height.

I actually found myself missing the lean/cover/mounting system from CoD Warzone.

But 2042 guns feel really good, a lot better than CoD Warzone, and the graphics and scale are very impressive. As are the vehicles. That battlegrounds mode in CoD feels very artificial, and basically a bad version of Battlefield. CoD's strength is close to medium range infantry combat. Battlefield has always done large scale very well, and it goes next level in 2042.

I still feel like vehicles should be far harder to destroy in Battlefield, but they should also have a logistics component of ammo, repairs and perhaps fuel. Some vehicles should be used kind of like the way heroes are used in MOBA's.

I also really liked how Planetside 2 allowed you to buy vehicles with resources and importantly you could lock your vehicle to prevent theft from random's in public servers.

Re: Ghost Recon Giveaways
Oct 5, 2021, 21:10
Re: Ghost Recon Giveaways Oct 5, 2021, 21:10
Oct 5, 2021, 21:10

Cutter wrote on Oct 5, 2021, 19:03:
Mac: You're ghostin' us, motherfucker. I don't care who you are back in the world, you give away our position one more time, I'll bleed ya, real quiet. Leave ya here. Got that?

The Predator mission set is pretty fun in GC: Wildlands actually. The fight is brutal though, took a lot of team work to defeat the hunter. We found that using the Mac/Dutch/Billy/Blain gear worked. It doesn't give you any different stats, we just had to become a proper team you know? haha!

Re: Microsoft Releases Windows 11, "Built for Gaming"
Oct 5, 2021, 04:45
Re: Microsoft Releases Windows 11, "Built for Gaming" Oct 5, 2021, 04:45
Oct 5, 2021, 04:45

You don't build a game OS by putting the start menu into the middle of the taskbar like a wannabe MacOS.

Surely also nobody who uses their computer for serious productivity allows the icons to stack on the taskbar either, extra clicks and time to switch windows and programs would drive a person mad.

Re: Out of the Blue
Oct 2, 2021, 17:43
Re: Out of the Blue Oct 2, 2021, 17:43
Oct 2, 2021, 17:43

https://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/a-closer-look-at-the-cage-free-revolution

Cage free still put every single male into a blender https://youtu.be/k-SHPX-0JNI?t=24

Anyway, this is what cage free actually looks like when it's not coming from an industry marketing website: https://www.landofhopeandglory.org/

Re: Blade of Darkness Demo
Sep 17, 2021, 18:36
Re: Blade of Darkness Demo Sep 17, 2021, 18:36
Sep 17, 2021, 18:36

Quinn wrote on Sep 17, 2021, 14:55:
My second daughter, Sophie, is born yesterday 06:18 CET so seems I have two things to celebrate

Severance. Best souls game ever before there were even souls games. Souls games should be referrer to as Blades games or something xD
Congrats! I'm always glad to hear smart people like yourself are having children :-)

Re: Into the Black
Sep 13, 2021, 18:40
Re: Into the Black Sep 13, 2021, 18:40
Sep 13, 2021, 18:40

Just as long as they don't fill in the missing gaps with frog DNA it'll be totally fine.

Sep 12, 2021, 06:12
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 12, 2021, 06:12
Sep 12, 2021, 06:12

jdreyer wrote on Sep 11, 2021, 14:03:
The problem isn't that we spend too much on defense. Currently we spend less than half of what we did as a % of GDP than we did during the Cold War. Rather, the problem is taxation.

First we need better enforcement.
The wealthiest 1% of Americans dodge $163 billion in taxes every year, Treasury says

And we need a lot more corporate taxes.
As a share of GDP, the US has the lowest corporate taxes of the G7 nations.

Exactly!

The real problem is that other countries who have malicious intent or are made up of citizens who are mostly bad actors or religious fantatics and so on, keep spending money on their forces. We live in a world were countries are annexed, or taken over by force as we've seen very recently. Why aren't the lefties ever mentioning the you know, the actual bad guys, yes they exist, even if you are nice to them... Oh I know why lefties talk BS against their own countries, because these are the only places that have freedom of speech.

Sep 12, 2021, 06:07
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 12, 2021, 06:07
Sep 12, 2021, 06:07

Why potato milk, a newcomer to plant-based dairy, may be the most sustainable option. I didn't even know spuds had breasts! Thanks Max.

Cows don't either, they have udders. Which makes it all the more weird that people drink dairy.

Sep 10, 2021, 03:02
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2021, 03:02
Sep 10, 2021, 03:02

Burrito of Peace wrote on Sep 9, 2021, 21:51:
A vegan and a crossfit cultist meet.

Who speaks first?

How many meat eaters does it take to change a light bulb?

None, they'd rather stay in the dark.

Re: Matrix Resurrections
Sep 10, 2021, 02:59
Re: Matrix Resurrections Sep 10, 2021, 02:59
Sep 10, 2021, 02:59

Simon Says wrote on Sep 9, 2021, 23:57:
Jivaro wrote on Sep 9, 2021, 14:10:
Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 9, 2021, 13:43:
Bill Borre wrote on Sep 9, 2021, 13:38:
Some of the dialogue from the trailer makes it sound like a sequel but the overall impression I got was remake.
Yeah, not completely clear...

Sequel is a closer description I think. They acknowledge the previous stuff happening.

Not a widely know fact is that the official canon story continued after the 3rd film in the form of the online MMO's storyline. Taken in this context, my best guess is that it's either one of those 3 options:

A: The long term effects of the continued in-Matrix war between the blue pillers ( those who wanted to stay inside and defend the Matrix despite knowing it was a deceit ) and the red pillers ( those who wanted to free people from the Matrix ), with the out-of-Matrix truce between the Machines and Zion still in effect many years down the road, so many that a new Neo and Trinity had time to emerge.

B: The war has been over for a long time, the truce failed as the Architect predicted it would and the Oracle undoubtlessly feared as reflected in the ending of the 3rd Matrix movie and the Matrix has been reset to "factory settings" for a new cycle. A new Neo and Trinity then emerged as they always do.

C: Something entirely new that Lana Wachowski thought up in the meantime and wanted to fool around with.

I'm hoping it's option A, the others would be kind of disappointing as far as I'm concerned.

D: cash grab at suckers who salivate over nostalgia. The trailer seems to show just redone bits from the other movies, but it looks worse. It looks like a TV movie.

Sep 9, 2021, 18:41
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2021, 18:41
Sep 9, 2021, 18:41

Men fart more when eating a plant-based diet due to good gut bacteria.

Two weeks on any radical diet change will give you gas as the gut bacteria is in a transition process. After 3 weeks of a plant-based diet flatulence should be lower, assuming your previous diet didn't or some kind of antibiotics didn't completely destroy your gut flora. So the study is basically stupid. There's a study that shows the opposite to this article.

Of course a common sense article, wouldn't be as fun as effectively saying something like "HAHA Vegans Smell" meat/dairy/egg industry scare mongering is a daily occurrence. After years of nutritional deficiency scare mongering has more or less failed, they're resorting to saying that we'll all smell? haha talk about a desperate. You'd think they'd instead spent their time, money and effort into transitioning their businesses a farms into sustainable produce, hell, even perhaps do what other industries do and invest in future technology like vertical farming, lab grown meat etc. But no, they'd rather keep on scaring you into buying their products, because they just love abusing animals too much, that can be the only reason not to change, since farming is really hard work, too hard to not want to change.

This comment was edited on Sep 9, 2021, 19:33.

Re: Diablo II: Resurrected Widescreen Support Being Limited
Sep 7, 2021, 23:18
Re: Diablo II: Resurrected Widescreen Support Being Limited Sep 7, 2021, 23:18
Sep 7, 2021, 23:18

HoSpanky wrote on Sep 7, 2021, 21:03:
Diablo 3 runs on ultrawide just fine. As long as Diablo 4 does as well, I’m fine. I’m not buying this anyway; I tried it and didn’t feel any spark.
Same, after the Beta, I lost all interest. I forgot how much jank some old games can have. I know they would have copped a lot of flak had they changed the game too much, so as a graphics and compatibility upgrade for an old game they 100% reached their goal, and then some, but it's the gameplay and feel that is just as out-of-date as the graphics, and I just couldn't get into it.

I enjoyed the D2 style even in D3 far more actually. And while D3 had it's problems on launch, playing it now, really shows just how much better of a game it was compared to D2.

Re: Comanche Takes Off
Aug 27, 2021, 00:37
Re: Comanche Takes Off Aug 27, 2021, 00:37
Aug 27, 2021, 00:37

Too bad they didn't make a sim-light helicopter game, something like the helicopters in War Thunder, but with a campaign and story.

But this... ew... it looks like little tiny toy vehicles.

Re: Aliens: Fireteam Elite Released
Aug 24, 2021, 18:16
Re: Aliens: Fireteam Elite Released Aug 24, 2021, 18:16
Aug 24, 2021, 18:16

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Aug 24, 2021, 16:49:
Tipsy McStagger wrote on Aug 24, 2021, 13:07:
i really would love a full 2023 remake of Aliens Versus Predator 2. Game was sooo good.
Meh. I was much more a fan of the original Aliens Versus Predator from 2000. I remember LAN gaming with my brothers and we'd alternate between marine, alien and predator, and it was a huge amount of fun. It had so much atmosphere. AVP2 was decent enough but I didn't like the movement of the aliens anywhere near as much.

AVP 2000 was amazing for it's time. Especially if you had a friendly LAN party with 4~ marines, and role playing by not using the sprint key, and someone playing as either alien or predator. Inevitably a marine would always light up the other marines by accident with the flame thrower when they got spooked haha. Good times.

Re: Aliens: Fireteam Elite Released
Aug 24, 2021, 16:13
Re: Aliens: Fireteam Elite Released Aug 24, 2021, 16:13
Aug 24, 2021, 16:13

There just needs to be more to do in these games. Take a cue from Natural Selection. Marines should have to weld doors and vents up to control the flow of Aliens, but they also need to be able to get parts for power generator, resources to call in drops, do a side quest to unlock drop ship reinforcements etc etc.

And a bit of that DayZ / Battle Royal beginning struggle where you need supplies just to survive.

And even perhaps some lite base building / tower defense elements to secure your HQ operations area.

Hell, why not collect parts to repair a damaged APC and take that bad boy for a spin Battlefield 2142 style with your squad in it.

I'm sure this game would have been a hit 20 years ago, but gamers expect more these days, and blending in some light elements from other genre's keeps FPS fresh. Dark Souls like invasions from the Predator would be pretty amazing haha - although probably not great for Aliens purists.

This comment was edited on Aug 24, 2021, 18:06.