Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for bigspender

Real Name bigspender   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname bigspender
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description no co-op = no purchase
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 7, 2006, 02:54
Total Comments 1119 (Pro)
User ID 24495

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
1. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Sep 29, 2016, 00:38 bigspender

Make Sail looks excellent!

I hope there is a lot more to do other than sailing, but the basics already look great!

News Comments > Titanfall 2 4K Trailer
7. Re: Titanfall 2 4K Trailer Sep 28, 2016, 20:08 bigspender

It looks nice, but there is way too much shit all over the screen - UI overload.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Pharma Bro... Sep 28, 2016, 17:09 bigspender

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Sep 28, 2016, 15:08:
I have to assume Shkreli will back out of getting punched in the face... somebody with some training will get in there and most likely put him in the hospital or the morgue.

We should start a kickstarter to fund someone like David Haye.....

David Haye has the cure for societal cancers like Martin Shkreli literally in his hands

News Comments > Battlefield 1 Single-Player Details & Trailer
10. Re: Battlefield 1 Single-Player Details & Trailer Sep 27, 2016, 17:28 bigspender

NetHead wrote on Sep 27, 2016, 15:30:

Also that trailer seems like it has way to much drama for my liking. I'm not going to care in the least about some character because they force it so I can get "feelings" when they kill it, especially not if it's all broken down into segments where they'll be telling you how much you suddenly care about a different character.

Agreed. Waaaaay too much drama!It's a war, how much more motivation do they think you need? lol

8. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 25, 2016, 06:59 bigspender

yonder wrote on Sep 24, 2016, 20:13:
bigspender wrote on Sep 24, 2016, 18:36:
Oh that article about stress really annoyed me, but it didn't stress me out.....

TL:DR Pretty sure this "study" is an advert for McDonalds

1. They never actually tell how much of a difference stress makes. Is it even a significant amount? Why aren't there any numbers? Why aren't any studies referenced?

2. They never really mentioned whether stress was causing people to eat more food, and if that was the reason for additional plaque creation and weight gain.

3. There is no such thing as good fat when it comes to oils. All oils are a highly processed and refined product that contribute to cardiovascular disease, and weight gain. Even they're so called 'good fat' sunflower oil, while it doesn't have cholesterol so it doesn't create plaque, helps the existing plaque stick around. It also puts out the omega 6 : omega 3 ratios. And all fats/oils have 9 calories per gram (vs only 4 calories per gram of protein and carbs). So even a tiny amount means you are eating lots of extra 'empty' calories, since most of the nutrition was stripped during oil extraction.

4.The food cooked (eggs, sausage, and probably the gravy) are full of saturated fats - they themselves call 'bad fats'. So whichever oil/fat they cooked the food in would have only had a minimal effect since both meals contained significant amounts of 'bad fat'. The sunflower cooking oil meal would have had only just slightly less "bad fat".

5.Eggs, Gravy, Biscuits, Sausage is a terrible breakfast - not one of those ingredients contains any fibre..... the biscuit might have a tiny amount but it was probably made from bleached white flour which has almost no fibre left. It's a great recipe for constipation. And yes stool size and frequency is an indicator of health and predictor disease - such fun ones as colon cancer. Just like regular cancer only up your butt(sort of :)).

6. They go out of their way to link you to the McDonalds website nutritional information - Was this "study" just a sneaky way to say "good fats, bad fats doesn't matter if you're stressed, so come relax and eat at McDonalds because it's the same amount of fat and calories" ? Suspicious!

The take away from my morning ranting is:
Don't eat any fat or oil, apart from those from wholefoods such as nuts, flaxseed, avocados. And very little amounts. A handful of nuts, and a tablespoon of flaxseed contains all of the "good fats" omega 6 and omega 3, and in the correct ratio. Everything else will that is refined, or extracted or isolated will cause, contribute, or at least not alleviate disease.

Edit: my sources are from nutritionfacts.org and various books by Dr. Dean Ornish, Dr. Cadwell Esselstyn Dr. John McDougall, Dr. Neal Barnard, Dr. Michael Greger, Dr. Joel Fuhrman, Colin T. Campbell.

Heh you said fibre.

Blue: Your cooking smells delicious, as always!

I honestly did not expect someone to read that far yay lol

2. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 24, 2016, 18:36 bigspender

Oh that article about stress really annoyed me, but it didn't stress me out.....

TL:DR Pretty sure this "study" is an advert for McDonalds

1. They never actually tell how much of a difference stress makes. Is it even a significant amount? Why aren't there any numbers? Why aren't any studies referenced?

2. They never really mentioned whether stress was causing people to eat more food, and if that was the reason for additional plaque creation and weight gain.

3. There is no such thing as good fat when it comes to oils. All oils are a highly processed and refined product that contribute to cardiovascular disease, and weight gain. Even they're so called 'good fat' sunflower oil, while it doesn't have cholesterol so it doesn't create plaque, helps the existing plaque stick around. It also puts out the omega 6 : omega 3 ratios. And all fats/oils have 9 calories per gram (vs only 4 calories per gram of protein and carbs). So even a tiny amount means you are eating lots of extra 'empty' calories, since most of the nutrition was stripped during oil extraction.

4.The food cooked (eggs, sausage, and probably the gravy) are full of saturated fats - they themselves call 'bad fats'. So whichever oil/fat they cooked the food in would have only had a minimal effect since both meals contained significant amounts of 'bad fat'. The sunflower cooking oil meal would have had only just slightly less "bad fat".

5.Eggs, Gravy, Biscuits, Sausage is a terrible breakfast - not one of those ingredients contains any fibre..... the biscuit might have a tiny amount but it was probably made from bleached white flour which has almost no fibre left. It's a great recipe for constipation. And yes stool size and frequency is an indicator of health and predictor disease - such fun ones as colon cancer. Just like regular cancer only up your butt(sort of :)).

6. They go out of their way to link you to the McDonalds website nutritional information - Was this "study" just a sneaky way to say "good fats, bad fats doesn't matter if you're stressed, so come relax and eat at McDonalds because it's the same amount of fat and calories" ? Suspicious!

The take away from my morning ranting is:
Don't eat any fat or oil, apart from those from wholefoods such as nuts, flaxseed, avocados. And very little amounts. A handful of nuts, and a tablespoon of flaxseed contains all of the "good fats" omega 6 and omega 3, and in the correct ratio. Everything else will that is refined, or extracted or isolated will cause, contribute, or at least not alleviate disease.

Edit: my sources are from nutritionfacts.org and various books by Dr. Dean Ornish, Dr. Cadwell Esselstyn Dr. John McDougall, Dr. Neal Barnard, Dr. Michael Greger, Dr. Joel Fuhrman, Colin T. Campbell.

This comment was edited on Sep 24, 2016, 18:44.

News Comments > Warhammer 40,000 - Eternal Crusade Launched
2. Re: Warhammer 40,000 - Eternal Crusade Launched Sep 24, 2016, 03:06 bigspender

Cutter wrote on Sep 23, 2016, 20:11:
It was supposed to be an MMO and it's just an arena shooter now. Big difference. I see a lot of people are quite miffed about that.

Shame. I always thought Planetside 2 would be perfect with a 40k theme.

Edit:this looks worse than W40k Space Marine's multiplayer released from 2011. (which was a fun single player game!). But this doesn't look anywhere near as polished.

News Comments > Oculus Facing Political Backlash [Updated]
27. Re: Oculus Facing Political Backlash Sep 24, 2016, 01:28 bigspender

Slick wrote on Sep 23, 2016, 21:47:
I know I'm going way off topic, but I enjoy Keith Olbermann, he's articulate, perceptive, and unlike most liberal democrats, seems to have the ability to actually get MAD at the shit that should be making people MAD.

Watch this, and tell me what in the hell is going on in America:

https://youtu.be/D7d2ayLb2lg

What makes me mad as a liberal, is liberals defending people and ideologies that aim to take away the liberal rights I'm defending.

Is Olbermann one of these left wing regressive s too? (I don't have time to listen to him right now)

The one thing that Trump has going for him (although for all the wrong reasons) is that he at least acknowledges the problem with a certain ideology.

26. Re: Oculus Facing Political Backlash Sep 24, 2016, 01:16 bigspender

Slick wrote on Sep 24, 2016, 00:24:

Can you imagine a democrat running on a platform that "America sucks?" Rush Limbaugh would choke on his fistful of oxycontin. They'd run them out of town, other democrats would purge them from their party. It's usually arch-conservatives like O'Reilly and Coulter that say liberals love to "blame America first". Am I wrong? How does the Republican candidate get away with saying that America is shit?

As an outsider, I've always thought of America as a movie, not as a country.

So what you need my friend is candidate that will do a reboot America loves reboots.

24. Re: Oculus Facing Political Backlash [Updated] Sep 24, 2016, 01:01 bigspender

People are reacting to Trump as if he was Mao, Hitler and Stalin all-in-one.

The guy is an orange faced simpleton, but common.... this is just ridiculous. He hasn't actually done anything, yet. I didn't follow politics back in day - but did Dubya Bush have such a negative public image too? Because he really screwed things up.

And lets face it, the fact that Trump has gotten this far is just a reflection of the population (a big portion of it anyway). So when you think about it, Trump is the least of your worries - the 100 million supporters he has are what you should be worried about.

Like SouthPark puts it - it doesn't matter if you're voting for douche or turd face.

Either way it's not going to be good. Vote some independent in instead.

News Comments > Gears of War 4 NVIDIA Bundles
14. Re: Gears of War 4 NVIDIA Bundles Sep 21, 2016, 22:05 bigspender

I don't usually get motion sickness or anything like that, but watching a few minutes of Gears of War 4 with that FoV just made me feel really nausea.

Up yours game. I bet it doesn't even have an FoV slider.

Also it looks boring.

News Comments > Battlefield 1 System Specifications
12. Re: Battlefield 1 System Specifications Sep 20, 2016, 01:33 bigspender

The HUD-less mode is nice but it would put you at a disadvantage.

I'd totally play that way if there was a server that enforced the setting for all players, as well as friendly fire penalties.

Then people wouldn't be so fast to pull the trigger as soon as a something moves. I think it would make for a more interesting experience.

News Comments > Resident Evil 7 Trailer
9. Re: Resident Evil 7 Trailer Sep 16, 2016, 19:53 bigspender

Watch the gameplay sections with no volume - it looks clunky as shit  

News Comments > Into the Black
27. Re: Into the Black Sep 16, 2016, 19:51 bigspender

The head cardiologist in the US, Dr. Kim Williams is vegan for health reasons.
Given that heart-attacks kill one person every 8 seconds in the US, I'd say he knows what causes it how to avoid it

So no you definitely don't need milk, or saturated fat etc. (The only fats you need are omega 3, omega 6 and in quite small amounts).
How did they first find out about this? Because some poor girl lost her stomach in a shooting, so they had to feed her ingredients in a very specific way to keep her alive. Interesting story actually.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/lifestyles/health/ct-met-vegan-cardiologist-20140817-story.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyNy2mSnNRo

This comment was edited on Sep 16, 2016, 21:02.

15. Re: Into the Black Sep 16, 2016, 06:08 bigspender

NKD wrote on Sep 16, 2016, 00:11:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 15, 2016, 22:13:
Soda and sweets and chips should be taxed like tobacco.

Yes, because all the taxes we already pay are used so wisely. Stupid idea. Away with your nanny state bullshit. People can make their own decisions about what they put in their mouth.

I wouldn't have a problem with people making bad choices for themselves. But I live in a country where my taxes are raised in order to pay for their treatments, so now they're now putting a burden on me, which I do have a problem with.

I'm sure you could have some kind of legislation that confines the tax money from "disease generating foods" so that it can only be used for health care. This way they are then at least pre-paying for their statistically likely future health treatments.

At the same time I would heavily subsidized unprocessed foods, to encourage people to purchase to them.

This way you can still eat your candy bar if you feel like it, but it's not longer viable as a staple.

Of course this will never happen because governments are only elected for 4 year terms, and so they rarely look for long term savings.

This comment was edited on Sep 16, 2016, 06:21.

14. Re: Op Ed Sep 16, 2016, 06:02 bigspender

LibertyOrDeath wrote on Sep 15, 2016, 20:10:
Dr. Atkins was right all these years; the found pyramid=sugars=blah

Atkins was totally wrong. He had a history of heart-disease because of his low carbohydrate and high fat(high cholesterol) diet, which eventually killed him.

(On his wiki it says he fell over and died due to hitting his head - but the reason he fell was because he was having a heart attack).

People have taken legal action against Atkins Foundation for giving them heart-disease.

And of course the Aktins Foundationhas tried to silence people through the legal system as well.

It's all outlined on this website:
http://www.atkinsfacts.org/Corporate_Threat.htm

13. Re: Op Ed Sep 16, 2016, 05:40 bigspender

Simon Says wrote on Sep 16, 2016, 02:15:
Cutter wrote on Sep 16, 2016, 01:44:
Enahs wrote on Sep 15, 2016, 21:50:
Cutter wrote on Sep 15, 2016, 21:10:

And cracked is wrong replacing dairy with water. Dairy is essential - at least for those of us of northern european descent who still live in northern climes. For people in the sun belt who get plenty of exposure to sun and fresh veg year round, not so much.

No diary is not essential for you.
The Milk-Industrial Complex: Why You Don't Need to Drink Milk
and
Even MORE Studies Confirm, Calcium Still Doesn't Prevent Fractures

No, it is - for certain ethnicities and depending on where you live. Vitamin D, casein and whey proteins, are majorly important for a great many body fuctions. That's well known and accepted everywhere, except for kooks on Youtube who tell you don't need dairy. Rolleyes

Plenty of "kooks" who eat strictly vegan, don't need dairy and have no deficiencies whatsoever then... Rolleyes You can easily get all of those from elsewhere. A glass of almond "milk", among plenty others of easily availlable vegan examples, has 45% of the daily recommended intake in Vit. D.

I'm one of those "kooks". I started purely for health reasons, so needless to say I researched the shit out of it before I started

I rarely eat anything fortified, simply because it means it's a processed food, which I try to avoid, unless I'm really in the mood for it.

I have my blood checked on a yearly basis, and so far so good (2 years). I actually have better vitamin D levels now, because I consciously go spend 5-10 minutes a day in the sun with my face, arms, and if it's warm enough full upper body exposed. Of course not so much that I get burnt.

Most people including those that drink cows milk are deficient in vitamin D, as was I.

Now, a bit of sun easily gets me into the average range of between 25-50nmol/L. Of course peaking in summer and lower in winter.

Plenty of good info here, if you find nutrition interesting:
http://nutritionfacts.org/?fwp_search=vitamin+d&fwp_content_type=video

What I really found interesting though, was that in countries where people drink milk, they have higher rates of osteoporosis(weak bones). There is a correlation between them, so they looked into it, and measured how much calcium is in a glass of milk. And then measured how much calcium comes out in urine. The weird thing is that you pee out more calcium than what goes in, due to cows milk being quite acidic, and your body leaches calcium from your bones to neutralize the blood.

News Comments > Resident Evil 7 Trailer
7. Re: Resident Evil 7 Trailer Sep 15, 2016, 18:55 bigspender

Looks like a shitty tech demo with clunky controls and quick time events  

News Comments > Dean Hall's New Multiplayer Game
19. Re: Dean Hall's New Multiplayer Game Sep 15, 2016, 04:57 bigspender

More like Dean Haul.....  

8. Re: Into the Black Sep 14, 2016, 04:49 bigspender

The trailer piqued my interest, but it looks a bit contrived. I'll give it a go, but there is something off about it.  

1119 Comments. 56 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo