Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for bigspender

Real Name bigspender   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname bigspender
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description no co-op = no purchase
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 7, 2006, 02:54
Total Comments 1192 (Pro)
User ID 24495

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
1. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jan 7, 2017, 17:07 bigspender

CES: Smart technology, for dumb people....  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
13. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 7, 2017, 16:55 bigspender

30FPS LOL. The original Doom ran at 37FPS some 23 years ago....  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
18. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 31, 2016, 19:48 bigspender

A chemical imbalance in the brain could be causing people to exercise less, study finds.

Glad to see they are acknowledging that weight loss has very little to do with exercise.

Oh and Happy New Year to all of those that survived 2016

12. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 30, 2016, 17:28 bigspender

Wallshadows wrote on Dec 30, 2016, 13:29:
I'm ready to chomp down on Battlefield 1 but it's a rough time trying to find a retailer who isn't asking $65+ even when on sale.

Anyone know if Origin uses regional pricing? Because it's 40% off which brings it down to $48 from the $80 standard price which matches the Canadian price of new AAA titles.

GreenManGaming had it for a good price before it was released, not sure what it's like now though.

60. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 29, 2016, 17:46 bigspender

jdreyer wrote on Dec 29, 2016, 03:11:
bigspender wrote on Dec 28, 2016, 18:42:

That's why you'll see me in this section often responding to health related news articles, and promoting books by Dr. Michael Greger, Dr. Neal Barnard, Dr. Cadwell Esselstyn, Dr. John McDougall, T. Colin Campbell, Dr. Dean Ornish and so on. I believe these are truly non-biased portals to honest health research.

Is there a big difference among the various programs by these doctors? Dr. Esselstyn's seems stricter than Ornish's for example.

That's true Dr. Esselstyn does seem a bit stricter. It could be because he was trying to reverse the cardiovascular disease in older people, rather than preventing it in younger people, so it might take more effort to reverse the years of damage. Or maybe because he's old and that's just how things were done back then lol, I'm not really sure

But they all in all, they are all essentially advocating a whole foods plant based way of eating.

A good one to start with is The Negative Calorie Effect by Neal Barnard, it's a very short book, so it spends more time explaining the overall principles instead of getting into the details of the research. And on the opposite there is How Not To Die by Dr. Greger, which almost entirely explains research one by one if you like the details.

59. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 29, 2016, 17:33 bigspender

Orogogus wrote on Dec 29, 2016, 13:08:
jdreyer wrote on Dec 29, 2016, 03:23:
Orogogus wrote on Dec 29, 2016, 02:21:
I believe they don't have to do any encouraging, and if they did it would backfire almost immediately. How many times do they have to suggest to (real) doctors to encourage patients to eat more bacon before one of them outs it on the Internet?
You may have heard of this doctor before that encouraged people to eat as much bacon as they liked: Doctor Robert Atkins.

He wasn't the voice of the medical establishment, at all. Your family practitioner isn't going to tell you to go on the Atkins diet; that's by and large something people bring up on their own. And I don't think you're going to find any evidence that he was motivated by payouts from the drug industry.

This isn't the course which my friend went on, but it's was similar: http://www.auspen.org.au/events/auspen-advanced-clinical-nutrition-course-2016/
Look at the sponsors: Nestle...... and a Pharma company specializing in chronically ill patients (why are the patients chronically ill, if the diet is so healthy?).

The whole thing is very insidious.

If you go to the doctor, they will usually tell you to lose weight. Why? Because losing weight improves the numbers that predict disease rates. Lower cholesterol (or at least better LDL to HDL ratios), lower blood pressure, better resting heart rate, better insulin response and so on.

How will they get you to lose weight? Most will tell you to go on a low carb diet, whether it's called Paleo, Ketogenic, Isogenic, etc, but they are all more or less the Atkins diet.

Why do doctors choose these diets for their patients? Because they've been on a nutrition course/seminar sponsored by animal agriculture industries and pharma companies. The doctors are shown the results of various studies, and they pass on this information to the patients believing they are genuinely helping the patient.

And if the patient successfully applies these diets, they indeed do see better health markers.....at least in the short term. These diets are almost impossible to stick to, and the drug companies know this, which is why they sponsor the seminars. The drug companies know that it's very likely the person will yo-yo diet for a while, give up and start taking statins for the last 20 years of their life.
The other side of it is that even if people can stick to the diet and keep the weight off, they are still eating high saturated fats and cholesterol, which will end up needing statins(albeit a little later), regardless of how skinny they are.

If theses diets really worked, then nobody would need statins - so why would a statin company sponsor an event which would reduce demand for their product? They wouldn't.

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: Into the Black Dec 28, 2016, 23:17 bigspender

yikes, that is some fall!  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 28, 2016, 22:26 bigspender

Re: Soylent drink
I like Alec Baldwins approach the best https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6g3lLr2fH7E

News Comments > Orc Hunter VR Early Access
5. Re: Orc Hunter VR Early Access Dec 28, 2016, 21:42 bigspender

The better VR games I find are the ones that were already good games, and they've just added VR. Such as DCS World (it's free too).  

54. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 28, 2016, 18:42 bigspender

Orogogus wrote on Dec 28, 2016, 18:00:
bigspender wrote on Dec 28, 2016, 16:48:
The big money are these chronic diseases, they never go away as long as the patients keep following the doctors dietary advice. (And it's easy advice to follow, when the doctor tells you to eat more bacon)

I don't expect big pharma to be telling people that heart disease is completely optional, avoidable and reversible. That's the doctors job - but when the doctors (who are viewed as trusted sources) have been primed to pass on false information, then that is pretty awful.

So while Big Pharma isn't causing the diseases directly, it's certainly enabling other industries and companies to create the market for them.

It's not just the doctors either, it's the USDA and so on. They're all in bed together, and if it wasn't for organisations like PCRM.org putting in lawsuits against the USDA then we'd probably be eating pork with pre-injected statins and thinking that our genes are the cause of our chronic diseases.

I don't see a ton of evidence that the medical establishment has been primed to dispense bad dietary advice. I've never heard of doctors telling people to eat more bacon.

I'm not sure if you have ever seen that show called Doctors? But they are constantly telling people to eat bacon and eggs for breakfast, they push ketogenic diets, paleo diets and other cholesterol heavy foods.(and shunning healthy staples like potatoes).
Other celebrity doctors like Dr. Axe doing a similar thing.

Like I mentioned, the conferences and training programs that doctors are sent to are funded by drug companies - why else would a drug company sponsor it if they weren't getting something back? EDIT: my local doctors office is full of pamphlets that look very similar to official dietary guidelines, except in the fine print they are industry created, and of course they tell you to eat more eggs, red meat etc These pamphlets wouldn't fool you or me, but the general public will take read them in waiting room and assume the information is correct, since it's at the doctors office.

It's really the whole system though that is the problem, to become a doctor you'll be in some serious debt. So you have the make your money back somehow. And letting the industries put these pamphlets in your office is one way.

The health problems that come out of obesity happen pretty much by themselves, there's very little need or incentive for Big Pharma to try to make it any worse.

Yes exactly, obesity itself causes problems, which is why there is a big incentive to encourage more people to be obese, and keep them that way. Obesity related diseases do not kill people quickly, so they will be able to keep taking the drugs for a long time. Drugs that treat (not cure) chronic diseases are where they make all of their money.

There is very little money in preventing diseases - this is where insurance companies will come in, I think. They are the only ones that make money when people don't get sick.

I would like to think that governments should be informing the public about healthful habits, but as mentioned the USDA has a lot of ties to private industries. They do regulate things, but they also allow their regulations to be amended for something like $20k a page. So the recommendations are quite watered down.
E.G. take a look at the USDA recommended diet power plate - it's very similar to the one recommended by the PCRM but you can see the industries have put their little spin on it. http://www.pcrm.org/sites/default/files/images/media/releases/usda-my-plate.jpg

Americans, and developed nations in general, lean towards self-destructive gluttony. It's a very, very hard thing to reverse, stop or slow down. Whenever and wherever there's widespread economic growth obesity and diabetes follow.
Definitely agree that the ultimate responsibility falls on the individual. I'm just making a fuss because it's very hard to make informed decisions with all of they're sneaky tactics and noise they create on purpose. (The various industries constantly publish and fund research which is specifically manufactured to show positive results for them. And for the general public the research looks legitimate, but if you look closer then you can see how they've fudged the results E.g. they'll publish research saying eggs don't raise cholesterol, but when you look at the numbers, you'll see that the cholesterol of the participants was already at maximum levels, so no matter how they ate, it couldn't go any higher)

That's why you'll see me in this section often responding to health related news articles, and promoting books by Dr. Michael Greger, Dr. Neal Barnard, Dr. Cadwell Esselstyn, Dr. John McDougall, T. Colin Campbell, Dr. Dean Ornish and so on. I believe these are truly non-biased portals to honest health research.

This comment was edited on Dec 28, 2016, 19:00.

51. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 28, 2016, 16:48 bigspender

jdreyer wrote on Dec 28, 2016, 13:22:
El Pit wrote on Dec 28, 2016, 05:22:
How does Big Pharma work? Hint: every customer who is actually HEALED from his sickness by medical treatment is a LOST customer. So... Keep 'em paying. Keep 'em addicted. Keep 'em sick, but make them feel better.

We have the FDA and regulations to prevent that.

It's not quite that simple though. Big pharma have their fingers in a lot of pies, and they know how to create their customers.

For example one of my friends is a doctor, and he goes onto these training courses - which are sponsored by meat/dairy/poultry industries, but they're also sponsored by the companies which create statins. You wonder why a "healthy" eating course has seemingly opposing sponsors:

The statin companies know that these foods create cholesterol problems (leading to heart disease, the #1 killer), and they know that the doctors that go on these training courses will be recommending these problem foods to their patients.

The patients then develop the cholesterol related chronic diseases, and then the doctors then recommend they take statins to lower their cholesterol.

The same person that is creating the problem, is selling the solution. Very clever, and very immoral. Not only that, statins do not actually fix the problem, they simply mask it, create a whole bunch of other problems at the same time, and then you have take about 10 different other drugs to combat the laundry list of side effects from each drug. The big money are these chronic diseases, they never go away as long as the patients keep following the doctors dietary advice. (And it's easy advice to follow, when the doctor tells you to eat more bacon)

I don't expect big pharma to be telling people that heart disease is completely optional, avoidable and reversible. That's the doctors job - but when the doctors (who are viewed as trusted sources) have been primed to pass on false information, then that is pretty awful.

So while Big Pharma isn't causing the diseases directly, it's certainly enabling other industries and companies to create the market for them.

It's not just the doctors either, it's the USDA and so on. They're all in bed together, and if it wasn't for organisations like PCRM.org putting in lawsuits against the USDA then we'd probably be eating pork with pre-injected statins and thinking that our genes are the cause of our chronic diseases.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 25, 2016, 02:29 bigspender

El Pit wrote on Dec 25, 2016, 02:04:

The Alien: Covenant trailer is out, people! After the imo lame Prometheus, they made the trailer look like A: C will be an action movie. Like the first Alien movie but with the speed of Aliens. Not sure what to think about it, actually.

https://youtu.be/H0VW6sg50Pk

Thank's for the heads up! Was excited for this.....was..... not a fan of the camera work and visuals - feels very cheap and generic. I have a feeling if it wasn't for the brand this would go completely ignored.

From black goo, to black dust. IT'S BREAKING NEW GROUND!

7. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 24, 2016, 18:20 bigspender

Holiday stressors cause spike in heart attacks.

Well in that case, this might be a good present to put under the tree : http://www.dresselstyn.com/site/books/prevent-reverse/about-the-book/

Make yourself heart-attack proof for the next stressful christmas

6. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 24, 2016, 17:46 bigspender

There are still 5 days left of 2016, just in case you though the movie and music stars were safe.  

12. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 21, 2016, 00:53 bigspender

"The Best Handmade Ornament Ever Celebrates the Best Christmas Movie Ever."

Yes YES YESSSS! That' was great

News Comments > Ubisoft Giveaway Second Chance
8. Re: Ubisoft Giveaway Second Chance Dec 16, 2016, 01:17 bigspender

I'd rather pay full price for these old games on steam tbh lol  

11. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 13, 2016, 15:50 bigspender

Creston wrote on Dec 13, 2016, 12:18:
I take statins every day, and I can't remember shit, so... It Depends is right.

Statins do cause memory loss, it's one of their major side effects (among many). The good news is if you stop taking them your memory comes back....unlike Alzheimer's, once it's gone, it's gone, the cells that had those memories no longer exist.

You can get off statins pretty quickly btw, if you drop your cholesterol enough, which isn't as difficult as people think. Check out some books by Dr. Cadwell Esselstyn, Dr. Neal Barnard or Dr. John McDougall. Coincidentally, their methods of getting people off statins, also protect against Alzhiemer's and dementia, so you can get the best of both worlds

And there are other benefits depending on how old you are, but their methods also fix the hydraulics in one particular area

I know it sounds like a I'm promising a lot here, but it's because it's all the same disease, just in different parts of the body.

News Comments > ROM: Extraction Released
4. Re: ROM: Extraction Released Dec 8, 2016, 05:08 bigspender

And I was just about to say that we need more VR games where you are standing in the middle of an arena.....

I wonder if 2016 has more MOBA's or these Stand-In-The-Middle genre games.

News Comments > Space Hulk Deathwing Delayed Until Next Week
15. Re: Space Hulk Deathwing Delayed Until Next Week Dec 7, 2016, 17:43 bigspender

jamiedj99 wrote on Dec 7, 2016, 12:27:
they need to take a few more months and fix it proper then have a weekend open beta to make sure all the bugs are ironed out. Cancel your pre-orders let them know that's it's not acceptable until they do. IF enough people canceled their pre-orders they would do something.

Just don't pre-order ever.

News Comments > MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Announced
39. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Announced Dec 5, 2016, 03:44 bigspender

1badmf wrote on Dec 5, 2016, 03:40:
damn shame. a game about a company of mercs seems perfect for a coop campaign, esp. since the missions revolve around 4 player 'lances' of mechs.

Exactly! You could put in some lite features from a survival game to collect salvage etc. It'd be awesome.

1192 Comments. 60 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo