Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for bigspender

Real Name bigspender   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname bigspender
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description no co-op = no purchase
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 7, 2006, 02:54
Total Comments 1267 (Pro)
User ID 24495

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
44. Re: Op Ed Sep 12, 2017, 20:48 bigspender

When I play Chess with my grandma, I call her a filthy whore every time I lose a piece. It's just a heat-of-moment thing. It's her fault if she gets offended. /sarcasm  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
34. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 8, 2017, 20:49 bigspender

Kxmode wrote on Sep 8, 2017, 19:08:
Thoughts and prayers to anyone in the path of Irma. Please, be safe and listen to your local authorities. Pray

http://tinyurl.com/y9mm8ug4 ROFL

25. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 4, 2017, 03:11 bigspender

Cutter wrote on Sep 3, 2017, 11:51:
Fat and carbs are bullshit boogeymen, and always have been. The problem was an asshole named Ancel Keys who started all this nonsense because he was in the pocket of the (food) oil companies who wanted to sell more vegetable oil. The real villain has always been refined sugar, and to a lesser degree, salt. Those two things alone are responsible for the overwhelming majority of our dietary health woes. On TVO (Ontario's PBS) there was a documentary on 2 weeks ago that illustrated how this all came about, Cholesterol: The Great Bluff. Make sure to give it a watch as the deception that unfolded is absolutely breathtaking in its scope.

And this is an amazing article about John Yudkin, whom they talk about in the afoementioned documentary as well. The sugar lobby is ostensibly the most powerful lobby in the world and they easily spend the most - and have since the 50s - on political lobbying around the globe.

The Sugar Conspiracy

“If only a small fraction of what we know about the effects of sugar were to be revealed in relation to any other material used as a food additive,” wrote Yudkin, “that material would promptly be banned.” The book did well, but Yudkin paid a high price for it. Prominent nutritionists combined with the food industry to destroy his reputation, and his career never recovered. He died, in 1995, a disappointed, largely forgotten man."

Any diet that advocates extremes - eat this or that type food and exclude everything else - is wrong, plain and simple. Sure you'll lose weight, but at the expense of your overall health. We're omnivores for a reason. We evolved to eat meat, dairy, veg, fruit, and starches for lots of good reasons. Most food actually works better when working in conjunction with each other. That's simply how nature rounded things out otherwise everything we need would have evolved in a single piece of food that we only ever need. You're far better off fasting - restriced caloric intake - on something like The Fast Diet - See the BBC Dr. Michael Mosley's documentary here, Eat, Fast, and Live Longer.

Lastly how we eat and how much are just as crucial. Things like smoothies and juice and supplements are all bullshit. They turn intrinsic sugar into extrinsic sugar and you only net about 1% of the total nutritional properties of them as opposed to just eating fruit and veg whole. That's because it takes time for your stomach to break down the fiber, and while that's happening it's extracting all the good stuff. Smoothies, etc. on the other hand just shoot through your stomach into the intestines where the acid just quickly kills everything off so it doesn't have time to convent and enter the blood stream.

Everything in this life, be it diet, or politics, or religion, etc. can be put down to the Goldilocks philosophy...extremes are bad. We don't want things, too hot, too cold, but just right. Or as Michael Pollan put it as it applies to food, "Eat real food. Not too much. Mostly vegetables."

I've just been getting into whole bowl meals myself as they're easy and great all rounders. This is the sort of stuff people should be eating.

Whole Bowls: Complete Gluten-Free and Vegetarian Meals to Power Your Day (I don't care about gluten, as that whole issue is jive as well unless you're a celiac)

Bowls!: Recipes and Inspirations for Healthful One-Dish Meals (Shit, just look at the cover and tell me that doesn't look nummers!)

Very good - it's wholefoods focused! but please careful with vegetarian diets. You can become anemic because dairy blocks iron absorption. And since you are no longer eating heme-iron from meat, any iron from plants like spinach or beans can may not be absorbed. It's best to go right in and skip the dairy too. Non-heme iron is perfectly fine, when dairy isn't blocking it.

100% agree, this entire sugar vs fat debate is stupid, I'm actually pretty certain both parties are scheming asshats. So sticking to whole-foods is my game now, and it avoids the entire debate.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 4, 2017, 02:59 bigspender

Nucas wrote on Sep 3, 2017, 02:49:
bigspender wrote on Sep 2, 2017, 23:24:
Obesity report: One-third of U.S. adults are beyond overweight.

Easy and effortless fix. Eat yourself thin

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1008343.Foods_That_Cause_You_to_Lose_Weight

https://www.amazon.com/Starch-Solution-Regain-Health-Weight/dp/1623360277

Worked for me
Coincidentally cures heart-disease, erectile dysfunction and diabetes too. It's so simple you'll facepalm yourself :-)

mate, that's mostly bullshit. the negative calorie food thing is so bunk even livestrong manages to get it right. that book was written by a psychiatrist, not a dietician.

for weight loss, it's calories in, calories out. that's it. everyone's heard about professor twinkie by now, right?

if you lost weight on that, i'm happy for you, but it's because the "negative calorie foods" he talks up just so happen to be filling, fibrous vegetables with low calorie totals.

and high carb/low fat diets are junk science from the 70s. fats are critical. you need a balance. high carb diets don't cure heart disease or diabetes, there's evidence they literally cause them. in particular a lot of carby foods have terrible glycemic index values that can really do a number on your blood sugar and insulin levels.

if you prefer books, which seems to be the case, give this one a try. "fats=bad" thinking is misguided and it's not doing your body any favors. you can lose weight doing that stuff, sure; that professor lost 27 pounds eating twinkies. losing weight and living a healthy lifestyle are only sometimes the same thing. sorry for the wall of text here but that starch diet thing is one of the most fucked fad diets i've ever seen.

Yes you are right there is no such thing as negative calorie foods, it's just a "catchy" title. But the book essentially tells you to eat whole-foods, e.g anything unprocessed. Just like you said fibrous vegetables, beans and grains, without processing, so that all of the nutrition is preseved. However the book wasn't written by a psychiatrist, but a medical researcher and doctor who is the head of the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine.

It's not a fats = bad diet. It's a low fat diet, meaning you only take in the fats you need, which are very small amounts. A bit of omega 6 from nuts, and a bit of omega 3 from flaxseed, chia, hemp seed etc. On top of that all wholefoods, beans, grains, vegetables all have some fat as it is. That's all you need to be perfectly healthy.

When you eat whole-foods, the GI thing is completely redundant. Also what most people don't like to tell you is that protein (e.g. from meat) spikes your insulin as much as pure refined sugar. The other thing that most people haven't been told is that diabetes isn't a disease of sugar sensitivity, it's a disease of insulin resistance. And you can make the insulin work again by eating mostly whole-foods.

I agree with you that nutritional science in general is bad, and purposely misleading, it's filled with seemingly conflicting information too - thanks to competing companies with their sugar vs oil, dairy vs nuts battles etc. But here's cool the thing, you don't need any fancy studies, because within a week or two of eating this way your doctor will need to lower your diabetes medication. And within as little as a month your insulin will work correctly again, and you will no longer be diabetic. It works that well!

Don't believe me? Try it for 3 weeks yourself, you won't die or become deficient in any vitamins in such a short time, and you can stop any time. Don't buy anything, just eat this http://www.forksoverknives.com/recipes/?recipe_type=wraps-and-burgers 90% of the time. You can always go back to eating how you did.

This comment was edited on Sep 4, 2017, 03:16.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 2, 2017, 23:24 bigspender

Obesity report: One-third of U.S. adults are beyond overweight.

Easy and effortless fix. Eat yourself thin

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1008343.Foods_That_Cause_You_to_Lose_Weight

https://www.amazon.com/Starch-Solution-Regain-Health-Weight/dp/1623360277

Worked for me
Coincidentally cures heart-disease, erectile dysfunction and diabetes too. It's so simple you'll facepalm yourself :-)

News Comments > Destiny 2 Trailer
12. Re: Destiny 2 Trailer Sep 2, 2017, 02:34 bigspender

Midnight wrote on Sep 1, 2017, 23:40:
Honestly, this game just makes me want to reinstall Warframe.

Warframe was a lot more fun than this. And didn't cost a dime :-)

News Comments > Destiny 2 Trailer
6. Re: Destiny 2 Trailer Sep 1, 2017, 04:44 bigspender

I really did not enjoy the beta. Their first few Halo games were far better. They had a tone, a palette and they were focused. The guns were fun.

Destiny 2 just had too much of everything. It was like a child attempting to cook. The intro was just explosions and yelling.

Story is completely ton deaf, going from silly funny to serious and back and forth.

There was also something really off with the performance - my frame counter said it was over 100fps most of the time, but it felt like 30fps the way things moved around and the way the mouse felt.

And the game-play was just boring, and unchallenging. The guns felt pretty average. Weirdly enough the pistols were the most powerful weapons?

19. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 25, 2017, 08:47 bigspender

High doses of vitamin B supplements tied to lung cancer risk, study says.

Probably best to stop smoking than stop the B supplements, but hey call me old fashioned

News Comments > Arrow Heads Trailer
1. Re: Arrow Heads Trailer Aug 24, 2017, 19:34 bigspender

This is just lazy, it's so obviously just the Unity Tank! network code tutorial with a different skin :S  

6. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 16, 2017, 18:48 bigspender

There’s no known cure for arthritis, but marijuana works wonders.

For rheumatoid arthritis though there sort of is. No need for toxic liver destroying drugs either: https://nutritionfacts.org/2017/05/09/the-best-diet-for-rheumatoid-arthritis/

6. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 12, 2017, 18:39 bigspender

100 year old fruit cake found in Antarctica's Oldest Building.

I'm not that impressed honestly. After all, we've got a 70 year old fruit cake running the US right now.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 31, 2017, 17:57 bigspender

How Napping Subway Commuters Know When They’re at Their Stop.

Has anyone made a travel app, that will wake you up at the right stop?

(or tell you when to get off, if you are new to the city)

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 4, 2017, 17:52 bigspender

Cutter wrote on Jul 4, 2017, 17:33:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 4, 2017, 16:06:
Cutter wrote on Jul 4, 2017, 15:59:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 4, 2017, 13:55:
One of my sisters has a similar problem. Wants to stop taking them, but even on a very controlled diet she still has issues. Basically her digestive tract performs very poorly. Among other things she was tested and found she suffers from slow emptying of the stomach.
Define controlled diet. Are you sure she isn't cheating? I know whenever I eat crap like fast/junk food, go heavy on booze, or spicy food - even healthy like Indian, which I love - I get the AR something fierce. When I'm eating healthy - mostly vegetarian - zero problems.
First, she is a picky eater, she doesn't like a lot of foods. Second, she considered being a nutritionist as a career and eats like she is one. She has literally had the same breakfast, lunch and dinner for months in a row. And in general, she doesn't like spicy food anyway, I doubt she's ever had a curry dish. She isn't strictly a vegetarian, but basically because she can't get enough protein without eating some meat -- she just doesn't like most legumes. She's one of those people who does everything she should, and has problems anyway because her body just isn't "working right".

Fair enough. We're all broken one way or another. However, I'd bet dollars to donuts that the overwhelming majority of people using them, prescription or OTC, don't have those issue and only have diet to blame. Hell, you ever see the ads for them? They actively fucking encourage people to pig out on crap so they'll use them. Boggles the mind!

Indeed, most western chronic diseases are diet related: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rNY7xKyGCQ

There's a new documentary about it actually called What the Health: https://www.netflix.com/au/title/80174177

News Comments > The Eldritch Zookeeper Announced
4. Re: The Eldritch Zookeeper Announced Jul 4, 2017, 17:15 bigspender

Thought this was going to be more like Slime Rancher but with a fantasy theme.  

News Comments > Into the Black
4. Re: Into the Black Jun 30, 2017, 03:54 bigspender

I preferred Rakka, but this was still pretty dang cool!

Ever since watching Jacob's Ladder I've loved the idea of some weird experimental stuff happening in Nam.

News Comments > Steam Summer Sale Launches
45. Re: Steam Summer Sale Launches Jun 23, 2017, 03:45 bigspender

Fewer games, but higher quality, and ones that are actually finished (I'll never buy early access). If only there was a way to make that work.  

News Comments > No Recoil for Destiny 2 Guns on PC?
28. Re: No Recoil for Destiny 2 Guns on PC? Jun 22, 2017, 19:24 bigspender

you don’t want the mouse moving without you moving it, so recoil doesn’t feel good, so there is no recoil on PC.

Apparently he's never played a shooter on PC in the last 19 or so years..... since most have had a recoil effect.

Looking at the gameplay, it looks like plays just like the original halo, only with more guns and more graphics. Way to break new ground... /sarcasm

News Comments > Dungeons 3 Trailer
1. Re: Dungeons 3 Trailer Jun 16, 2017, 18:49 bigspender

Shame about the graphics/style. It's just so ugly.  

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 15, 2017, 18:37 bigspender

Cutter wrote on Jun 15, 2017, 11:25:
Conversely, a life without french fries is a life not worth living. If American's are confused as to what they are, you call them Freedom Fries, which you purchase with your currency, Freedom Dollars.

Toff

Well the study does mention that potatoes that are not fried are no issue :-) so bake your "fries" without oil (baste them with stock) or use an air frier and you can have the best of both worlds

The study confirms that oil is the culprit here. And it backs up what Dr. Esselstyn says (aka the only person who has ever cured heart-disease) https://youtu.be/b_o4YBQPKtQ?t=6

It's actually kind of a misleading study though because people usually don't eat just fried chips on their own. They'll have them as a side to a greasy double bacon beef burger (and that's where the real damage is done).

That's the problem with these corrolational studies.

This comment was edited on Jun 15, 2017, 21:27.

40. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 12, 2017, 16:37 bigspender

Porn-O-Matic wrote on Jun 12, 2017, 13:45:
If it's not made of real meat, then it's not a real burger, and I'd sooner push a busload of vegans over a cliff than eat this so-called "Impossible Burger." This is the wussification of the human race in action.

I personally wouldn't be callingEuro Heavy Weight Champ David Haye "wussy" for not eating meat lol

nor these guys:

Barney du Plessis 2014 Mr Universe

Patrick Baboumian

1267 Comments. 64 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo