Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 08/21

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Daniel

Real Name Daniel   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname CJ_Parker
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2006, 23:49
Total Comments 3248 (Veteran)
User ID 24408

User comment history
< Newer [ 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 ] Older >

News Comments > CIG Demands Escapist Retraction; Threatens Lawsuit
81. Re: CIG Demands Escapist Retraction; Threatens Lawsuit Oct 5, 2015, 13:50 CJ_Parker

Kosumo wrote on Oct 5, 2015, 13:27:
Chris Roberts has a Sandi vigina. Shocked

i c wot u did there

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > CIG Demands Escapist Retraction; Threatens Lawsuit
42. Re: CIG Demands Escapist Retraction; Threatens Lawsuit Oct 5, 2015, 11:22 CJ_Parker

ShadyPete wrote on Oct 5, 2015, 11:02:
RedEye9 wrote on Oct 5, 2015, 10:52:
Stormsinger wrote on Oct 5, 2015, 10:45:
I especially like the snarky little "Based on the generous standards set by you..."

It has all the maturity and professional tone of a three year old winding up for a major tantrum. I'd kick in $100 for legal costs for the Escapist, just for the show.

That was the best part of the letter. I'll match your funds but mine is going to CIG.

The more CR speaks the more i believe the article. i could actually see CR blame DS and the Escapist article when everything finally collapses. "Things were fine until blah blah blah and now we are out of money blame them...."

That conspiracy theory has also crossed my mind. What if this whole thing is actually CR's and SG's exit strategy to make off with $xx million in backer money to a Caribbean island claiming that evil forces destroyed everything?

News Comments > Steam Top 10
7. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 5, 2015, 09:27 CJ_Parker

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Oct 5, 2015, 06:25:
What is up with these Steam lists lately? Who is still buying CS:GO? Is it even possible for a Steam account to not have CS:GO, or CS 1.6, or CS:S on it?

Well, it's Valve's charts. They are probably rigged. I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out that they just reserve a random top 10 slot near the top for CSGO every week simply for advertising purposes.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
5. Re: Can we keep our technology from slipping out of control? Oct 4, 2015, 18:42 CJ_Parker

If we couldn't we'd be harvested by reapers right now.  

News Comments > Escapist Defends Star Citizen Sources
89. Re: Escapist Defends Star Citizen Sources Oct 4, 2015, 13:44 CJ_Parker

Eirikrautha wrote on Oct 4, 2015, 10:36:
CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 4, 2015, 06:07:
Krovven wrote on Oct 4, 2015, 02:26:
You do understand that nepotism isn't illegal right? And, it's a private company, therefore it's nobody else's business who they hire and who they don't. They don't have to answer to stockholders. They don't have to answer to "donators" either.

As I already stated...she has clearly excelled at her job, as idiots have forked over 90 mil based on that marketing. Degree or not, I'm sure plenty of companies would like to hire her simply based on that alone.

You read somewhere eh? Provide the proof that you witch hunters keep claiming to have, but it's nothing more than heresay.

^ exactly this

Sandi Gardiner's previous professional or private life is really no one's business but her own.

[ Quick BTW: I already posted a link where Sandi herself said she does in fact have a MBA in marketing (she didn't say from which school in that video though). In this video here she is also talking a bit about her professional experience which obviously included marketing jobs in the fashion industry, commercial real estate and restaurants & night clubs. ]

Now even if any of that turned out to be a lie (and there is so far absolutely no reason or evidence to believe that what she said is untrue) then what?
OK. It would make her a less trustworthy person for sure. But what else? Fraud? L. O. L.

As for whether backer money is being spent wisely on this particular VP of Marketing, the numbers speak for themselves. $90 million. 'nuff said.
And she's known to be working her ass off. Many other team members (mostly on Reverse the Verse) have frequently mentioned that Sandi is a complete 24/7 workaholic.
So a very big LOL @ whoever said she's just baking cookies and being Chris' wife.

So if you ask me I'd say stop fighting windmills and go back to questioning what CR said (like the big fat lie that the PU was not part of the initial pitch). Question the game, the scope, the crazy feature list, the feasibility (or not) of many features in an online environment, whether CR will be able to shift the laws of physics and make it all happen and all that shit.
But the whole Sandi crusade is really leading absolutely nowhere and is just plain stupid and creepy at this point.

No. You are flat out wrong. The amount of money raised is no more indicative of Sandi's competence than her lack of degrees (if accurate) is evidence of her incompetence.

Marketing is a value added position; it can only be judged in terms of how much more money is made due to marketing. This is why the position is so hard to judge (and frequently the place where financial shenanigans occur). The fact is that we don't know if CRI had hired someone else if they would have made $45 million in crowdfunding or $180 million. There is no way to measure her "success" without knowing how much would have been made without her, which is unknowable. Maybe someone with more credentials would have doubled the take. Maybe they would have made much less. Without that information, you can't judge her effectiveness (especially considering the enthusiasm for the product even before she was named to the position). So you are just wrong. Your assumptions are no more valid than assumptions that she has lost CRI money.

What is NOT an assumption is that nepotism (hiring those related to you) is often viewed as unethical. This goes doubly so when it is unannounced. My wife works in the same industry I do, and we often work together. The very first thing I do is identify her as my wife and relay her credentials. Because she actually has more awards than I do, most folks are very happy to have her working with me. The fact that this was not the case with CRI makes this look like nepotism, even if it is based only on qualifications. Especially in a "soft" position like marketing (where it is hard to quantify value added)...

Oh, and one thing about the last few replies on this thread. As soon as I see an ad hominem, it immediately identifies who has no valid argument (generic ad hominems like "misogyny" count double)...

I will agree with you on one thing which is that CR and SG should not have kept their marital status a secret. There would have been absolutely nothing wrong with them revealing it from the start like "Hello I'm Chris Roberts and this is my wife Sandi Gardiner who will be helping you with customer service [ed: which Sandi did in the early days] and me with marketing and we're going to make the best damn space sim ever".

Other than that I can't really agree with anything until there is solid, irrefutable proof that SG is not qualified for the position. She said she has a MBA in marketing and that she has experience working in marketing. Where is the irrefutable evidence she is lying? Right. Nowhere.

Also, what do you mean by "before she was named to the position"? As Chris' wife, Sandi has been on the project since day numero uno. Since they started out small (between five and seven people) she adopted many roles like customer service, administrative stuff, marketing, a little bit of everything... but she's always been VP of Marketing since day one. She was "named to the position" long before the game was even made public.

Finally, please do at least get the name of the company right. It is Cloud Imperium Games = CIG. I don't know who that mythical "CRI" is you keep referring to. Chris Roberts is often times shortened to just CR without the I. And there is RSI which is Roberts Space Industries which is an in-game corporate brand. But there is no CRI. The company making the game is CIG. Cloud Imperium Games.

News Comments > Titanfall Passes 10M [Updated]
22. Re: Titanfall Passes 10M Sales Oct 4, 2015, 07:56 CJ_Parker

No typo. Just go here and see for yourself.  

79. Re: Escapist Defends Star Citizen Sources Oct 4, 2015, 06:07 CJ_Parker

Krovven wrote on Oct 4, 2015, 02:26:
You do understand that nepotism isn't illegal right? And, it's a private company, therefore it's nobody else's business who they hire and who they don't. They don't have to answer to stockholders. They don't have to answer to "donators" either.

As I already stated...she has clearly excelled at her job, as idiots have forked over 90 mil based on that marketing. Degree or not, I'm sure plenty of companies would like to hire her simply based on that alone.

You read somewhere eh? Provide the proof that you witch hunters keep claiming to have, but it's nothing more than heresay.

^ exactly this

Sandi Gardiner's previous professional or private life is really no one's business but her own.

[ Quick BTW: I already posted a link where Sandi herself said she does in fact have a MBA in marketing (she didn't say from which school in that video though). In this video here she is also talking a bit about her professional experience which obviously included marketing jobs in the fashion industry, commercial real estate and restaurants & night clubs. ]

Now even if any of that turned out to be a lie (and there is so far absolutely no reason or evidence to believe that what she said is untrue) then what?
OK. It would make her a less trustworthy person for sure. But what else? Fraud? L. O. L.

As for whether backer money is being spent wisely on this particular VP of Marketing, the numbers speak for themselves. $90 million. 'nuff said.
And she's known to be working her ass off. Many other team members (mostly on Reverse the Verse) have frequently mentioned that Sandi is a complete 24/7 workaholic.
So a very big LOL @ whoever said she's just baking cookies and being Chris' wife.

So if you ask me I'd say stop fighting windmills and go back to questioning what CR said (like the big fat lie that the PU was not part of the initial pitch). Question the game, the scope, the crazy feature list, the feasibility (or not) of many features in an online environment, whether CR will be able to shift the laws of physics and make it all happen and all that shit.
But the whole Sandi crusade is really leading absolutely nowhere and is just plain stupid and creepy at this point.

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Combat Change Plans
11. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Combat Change Plans Oct 3, 2015, 19:29 CJ_Parker

Task wrote on Oct 3, 2015, 10:55:
I remember when SOE made "changes" to SWG. And look where that got em. The biggest crime of all is they somehow "lost" the source code to the game, so its all just a memory now.

That's not comparable. At all.

SOE first massively revamped the entire combat system in spring of 2005 with the long overdue "CU" (combat upgrade) which was a love/hate affair.
What really caused a massive exodus was when just a few months later -in November 2005- they once again -without any advance warning- ripped out the entire combat system and replaced it with a version for casual tards a.k.a the infamous NGE (New Game Enhancements).

It was all extremely poorly handled by SOE. Two complete combat system revamps within just a few months without involving the community in the slightest. They just dropped it on the players in take it or leave it style.
The NGE also went as far as removing entire classes, roles, professions etc. that people got attached to. It was a completely new and (even) shittier game than before.

SWTOR is getting a relatively minor update by comparison. The only huge item on that list is the planet sync. That is really kinda lame and should be optional or something.

I mean part of the fun of leveling up to 60 is when you have to go back to a lowbie planet for some quest that you can one-shot everything. Come on. Max level should be rewarding and satisfying when you go back and kill some elite mobs you remember struggling with as a low level character.

So I'm thinking you should only be synced if you have a planetary quest corresponding with the planet's level in your log. But if you visit as a 60 with no planetary quest you should be able to mow the fuck out of everything.

News Comments > Titanfall Passes 10M [Updated]
6. Re: Titanfall Passes 10M Sales Oct 3, 2015, 13:17 CJ_Parker

Caladell wrote on Oct 3, 2015, 12:55:
jacobvandy wrote on Oct 3, 2015, 12:48:
I'm sure it is, which is why he neglected to mention anything else along with the figure. What's the deal with that, by the way? Is there a free trial or can a bunch of people sign in on the same console or what?

It's been on Origin's free weekend thingie a few times.

Let's take it easy with the half-truths, guys Wink .

Origin does not really have a "free weekend thingie". What they have is called "Game Time" and it is a fairly permanent thingie.
Everyone with an Origin account can play the Game Time games for free for the attributed time which in Titanfall's case is 48 hours (i.e. play time).
Titanfall has been on Game Time since June 2014 so that's a really extended "weekend thingie" right there .

Other games you can play for free:

- The Sims 4 (48 hours)
- Plants vs. Zombies (48 hours)
- Battlefield 4 (168 hours - yes you can play the SP campaign too)
- Kingdoms of Amalur (48 hours)

As for the 10 million Titanfall announcement, yeah, I'm sure that includes everyone who played the free Game Time demo so that's not really saying much.

44. Re: Escapist Defends Star Citizen Sources Oct 3, 2015, 10:44 CJ_Parker

InBlack wrote on Oct 3, 2015, 09:56:
Ive said it before, and Ill say it again. The only possible saving grace of this project might be SQ42. If CR pulls his head out of his ass, and if they've actually been heavily working on the game behind the scenes during all this time. Those are two very doubtful ifs. Next week's SQ42 reveal will be critical.

The delivery will be critical, not the reveal. Every single reveal they have had so far was awesome looking and very promising. They are extremely adept at making flashy trailers and "gameplay" demos.
However, everything they have delivered so far was far below expectations or outright buggy and shitty.
I will not be wow'ed by an impressive looking S42 demo. That is to be expected. They will show off something that looks breathtaking. No doubt about it.
If they want to wow me they need to announce a new reasonable timeframe when to expect S42 and be honest about the state of affairs. That would impress me more than anything.

That said, I'm also in it for S42 mostly and also hope they can at least pull that one off (the PU *WILL* be scaled down massively -not necessarily in size but in feature scope- because against the cultists' believes CR can not change the laws of physics).
I'm actually fairly confident that they will deliver a good experience with S42 because it's mostly in Erin Roberts' hands. That guy is way more grounded than Chris and hasn't had an over a decade long break from making games.

S42 would probably be in a much more advanced state if Foundry42 wouldn't constantly have to help out with patches, demos, reveals and marketing fluff (see the monthly reports for reference - they unfortunately have a ton of side stuff going on all the time instead of being able to FOCUS on S42).

Let's just hope for the best *sigh*

9. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Combat Change Plans Oct 3, 2015, 08:52 CJ_Parker

Pallais wrote on Oct 3, 2015, 06:09:
You'll be happy to know they demonstrated Legacy Datacrons and they are retroactive.

Are you serious? When did that happen and is it coming with the expansion or when?

Fuckin' A. Couldn't they have done it a few months earlier? Earlier this year I did all the datacrons (except fleet and Rishi) a second time on an alt pulling out my hair in quantities you could easily make wigs for an entire fucking cruise ship load of old hags.

Aaaaarrrrgggghhhh.....

6. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Combat Change Plans Oct 2, 2015, 21:48 CJ_Parker

wraithnix wrote on Oct 2, 2015, 19:52:
(it really sucks when you get a great piece of gear that looks awesome and unfortunately enhances a stat not used by your class)

Hmmm... how many of those pieces of equipment are there that do not allow ripping out the mods and stuffing in your own crap for the stats? You have so many options for looks in SWTOR it's not even funny. I'd say it's extremely unlikely you'd ever come across something where there isn't at least an equally good looking option.
In short: A non-issue.

The companion gear stuff is a good change though. It may be (kind of) fun on the first toon to keep your comps geared but once you have to do it all a second/third/whatever time on your alts it becomes really fucking annoying if all you really want is to just level up as fast as possible.

I would also love to see more legacy sharing. You have explored all planets on one toon? Great. Then that exploration data (= planetary maps) should be available on all characters.
Datacrons should be shared, too. It is punishing enough if you have to do them once (especially that one on Makeb). They should also move the fleet datacron somewhere else as it is nearly impossible to find groups for it these days (not every server has regular groups going).

Oh well. I'm mostly just interested in the story content anyway and I'm looking forward to playing the expansion. I hope it'll be better than the last one.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 2, 2015, 16:43 CJ_Parker

PHJF wrote on Oct 2, 2015, 12:16:
I'm hoping a Rift can become my defacto gaming screen, assuming it takes off. And it if works, it's a peripheral, not something you need to upgrade every odd year.

I'd say the opposite is more likely. The whole tech is still in its infancy. You are probably going to want to replace your Rift immediately every time a newer, lighter, more comfy model with massive boosts in image quality, clarity, sharpness, resolution etc. comes out. There is a pretty good chance there will be night&day differences between the early gens of this tech.

So unless it becomes a total commercial failure, it's bound to make significant strides in advancement, especially if video cards also resume their usual update cycles (it is quite unlikely we'll ever be stuck on a process as long again as we were with 28nm).

I would not count on buying a Rift and hoping to be happy with it for years to come.

News Comments > Star Citizen Employees "Speak Out"
117. Re: Star Citizen Employees Oct 2, 2015, 12:30 CJ_Parker

Sandi Gardiner says she has an MBA in marketing in this video. It's actually quite funny watching this today and knowing now that they were married back then. Those clowns. Why didn't they just tell?  

116. Re: Star Citizen Employees Oct 2, 2015, 12:26 CJ_Parker

Desalus wrote on Oct 2, 2015, 10:16:
CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 2, 2015, 08:22:
It should be obvious for anyone with the reading comprehension skills of a first grader that I was talking about the Escapist's side when I said that it is hard to tell what might be true (you know, which allegations).
I've been a follower of this project from day numero uno with a citizen number under 10K, golden ticket and all that jazz.
I remember many of the promises and past statements very well and I know exactly when CR is lying or twisting facts and as I pointed out his retort is unfortunately full of lies, twisting, and weaseling out of questions (a fact that -amongst others here- jdreyer has also noted and articulated) .

I'm just trying to see your point, but I don't understand why Chris would need to lie or twist the facts so much if the allegations in the article were complete bullshit. If the allegations were completely untrue, why didn't he just tell the truth instead of making up more lies? If everything is going fine there wouldn't be any need for lies.

I don't know either. You'd have to ask CR why he chose lengthy replies with a lot of BS in them instead of just either ignoring the retarded "article" or writing up only a short, concise dismissal.
The entire blah-blah where he is lashing back at DS is simply unprofessional. Two wrongs don't make a right. Silly insults like DS could not make a good game even if he had $200m are not going to accomplish anything. CR and DS are poo-flinging monkeys.

The biggest bullshit claim -by far- in what CR said is that the PU was a stretch goal. The guy apparently doesn't even remember anymore what the original pitch of his own "vision" was. Ridiculous.

Or the part where he plays dumb and takes "commercial" literally claiming there hasn't been a ship commercial in over a year. Technically true but they have still put a lot of work into "commercials", events, reveals and so on (like flashy trailers advertising the game etc). That was a real snake oil response.

Or the character thing. Silly. He plays dumb again. Everyone knows that the character is not complete but a placeholder. He repeatedly said so himself.

jdreyer has also picked it apart further in a post somewhere below and one could continue taking it all apart further.

As I said, I find it genuinely unfortunate that CR is undermining his credibility with this BS retort. Seriously. I'm not one of those people who wants to see SC fail. I'm just a very concerned backer (pretty high level actually since I've had over $1K in the game early on... most of it recouped by profitable eBay sales in the meantime).

88. Re: Star Citizen Employees Oct 2, 2015, 08:22 CJ_Parker

Desalus wrote on Oct 1, 2015, 23:36:
CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 1, 2015, 21:28:
As an outsider it is hard to tell what might be true and what not but...

It is very unfortunate that CR had to pack his retort with so many lies because that makes his retort look just as unprofessional as the Escapist piece. It's like a gigantic clash of bullshit as if a million cows all shat at once!

So it's hard for you to tell what might be true and what is not, but you seem very certain that the article is complete bullshit and Chris is lying a lot. So how did you exactly come to that conclusion when it's hard for you to tell?

It should be obvious for anyone with the reading comprehension skills of a first grader that I was talking about the Escapist's side when I said that it is hard to tell what might be true (you know, which allegations).
I've been a follower of this project from day numero uno with a citizen number under 10K, golden ticket and all that jazz.
I remember many of the promises and past statements very well and I know exactly when CR is lying or twisting facts and as I pointed out his retort is unfortunately full of lies, twisting, and weaseling out of questions (a fact that -amongst others here- jdreyer has also noted and articulated) .

I've only seen Sandi on camera (but hundreds of times) and she would really have to be an awesome actress if any of the allegations were true. She's always come across as genuinely nice and friendly usually. Maybe a little conceited (which actress/model isn't?) but evil, vicious, bitchy? Nope. Not a hint of it.

lol, are you serious? Put an actor/actress in front of a camera and you think you're going to get their genuine personality? You can't think of any actors/actresses that seem so nice when filmed but are really assholes?

There's more to it. There are also numerous statements by her coworkers and thousands of fans who have met or corresponded with her, all saying that she is an amazing person all around. Then there is the Reverse the Verse show on Fridays where everything is more casual and relaxed and Sandi often makes an appearance just being herself and not a presenter like on Around the Verse etc.

Sandi is usually very composed, almost a bit shy (because she doesn't/didn't know much about game development but she's an avid learner). She is very well educated and is fluent in at least English, German, French and Spanish or Italian (or both... I forget).
She's got a 6th dan diploma in MMA. People like that usually know how to control themselves very well.

Sorry but from everything that I have seen in the past three years there is absolutely no way that she is a racist, cussing, insult flinging, screaming super-bitch as portrayed in the Escapist "article".
I could imagine that she doesn't get along with everyone equally well (who does really?), that she comes across as a little arrogant or conceited sometimes or that some people are plain envious of her looks and education but she is certainly nowhere near the devil those "sources" are making her out to be.

42. Re: Star Citizen Employees Oct 1, 2015, 21:28 CJ_Parker

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 1, 2015, 20:22:
Many of the claims are unsubstantiated and are in violation of The Escapist's own ethics guidelines. It strikes me as poor journalism.

That's very true. I've read the whole thing in the meantime and it's completely unprofessional. They should have contacted CIG before publishing the piece and given them a chance to comment, not insert CR's comments after the fact.

As an outsider it is hard to tell what might be true and what not but only $8m left (guaranteed to be complete bullshit) and everything about Sandi seems to be 100% made up, the latter probably by the same lunatic who has targeted her before in forums posts etc. - This isn't the first time she is accused of very weird sounding things.

I've only seen Sandi on camera (but hundreds of times) and she would really have to be an awesome actress if any of the allegations were true. She's always come across as genuinely nice and friendly usually. Maybe a little conceited (which actress/model isn't?) but evil, vicious, bitchy? Nope. Not a hint of it.

There is in fact only one single accusation I would deem credible. It's this piece...
The most common issue people discussed, second only to tales of workplace improprieties, was the lack of progress that Star Citizen has seen. Three former employees, who voluntarily quit for a myriad of reasons, echoed this sentiment, stating that they felt they were spending more time creating material for cons and fundraising than creating any material for gameplay.

That one confirms my own observations. They started out as a game development organization. Then when they realized that the funding did not stop and how important the marketing is for the ship sales they reorganized everything to become a marketing company to produce flashy trailers, commercials and to optimize the entire ship sales pipeline from concept to hangar-ready and flyable (AC).
The way I see it is that the current reorganization is actually a re-reorganization to focus on content delivery a.k.a finally making the fucking game.

On a whole the Escapist article is almost 100% grade A bullshit. What is concerning though is what Chris Roberts has said in some of his replies. As I said in the other thread his claim that the PU was a stretch goal is a blatant lie. A big fat lie. Plain and simple.

It's also funny how he finally admits that the scope changed the timeline. Really, Chris? Did you not promise people that if they kept pledging that more money would actually help get stuff done FASTER and that the game would come out SOONER?
Hmm... odd. Instead of that faster delivery you kept making up stretch goal after stretch goal all the way up to the $65m mark thereby increasing the scope and DELAYING the game.

It is very unfortunate that CR had to pack his retort with so many lies because that makes his retort look just as unprofessional as the Escapist piece. It's like a gigantic clash of bullshit as if a million cows all shat at once!

This comment was edited on Oct 1, 2015, 21:49.

30. Re: Star Citizen Employees Oct 1, 2015, 19:37 CJ_Parker

Aaaah you're way too pessimistic. Come on. According to Roberts everything is peachy and the FULL PU (he says FULL, not me) will be "working and functioning" towards the end of 2016.
They'll whip up the 100 systems in no time as Christ Roberts has found a secret magic way of content creation. And programming all the complex gameplay systems? No problemo! It's not his fault everyone else in the industry is taking so long to code shit. His code monkeys will make it all happen in a fraction of the time everyone else needs!

News Comments > Morning Interviews
37. Re: Morning Interviews Oct 1, 2015, 19:17 CJ_Parker

descender wrote on Oct 1, 2015, 16:33:
The PU is listed as a $5mil stretch goal on the kickstarter page. is that not accurate?

Nope. Look closely. "Star Citizen Persistent Universe" is only the headline. The actual $5m stretch goal is the 70 systems.

If there is still any doubt follow one of the many links from the KS page like to PC Gamer (article was published 10/10/2012 which was the day of SC's reveal)...

What the hell is Chris Roberts thinking? The creator of Wing Commander, who recently returned to game development after spending some time in film production, was in talks to bring his acclaimed series back on EA's dime. Instead, he spent a year producing a prototype of Star Citizen: a multiplayer, persistent-universe space combat sim with monstrous ambition and no publisher support.

“I had this vision with Freelancer and it never got finished because I left and sold the company to Microsoft. The overarching game is a big persistent universe, but there is this single-player aspect you can play offline, sort of like the Wing Commander experience. So imagine that you're in this massive persistent universe, but you sign up for a tour of duty on the front lines against the barbarians — that's your single-player experience. Then after that you're out in the world to make your fortune.”

The persistent universe, Roberts tells me, will feature instanced combat scenarios with 60 to 100 players. It will also have a fully simulated economy, and regular updates to add content and permanently change the spacescape.

So that was one BIG FAT LIE when he said the PU was a stretch goal. His spin in the quoted bit from PC Gamer on how he "left" and sold Freelancer is also cute. It was more like MS threatened to pull funding, degraded Roberts to creative consultant and bought him out so he would shut the fuck up and not cause even more damage.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
30. Re: Morning Interviews Oct 1, 2015, 16:01 CJ_Parker

HAHA there is some really funny stuff in that letter...

Conservatively it’s taken me about eight hours to write. This is time I could have spent working on the game instead of dealing with a Derek Smart instigated drama. And this is really what annoys me – that his silly rantings occasionally gain traction and pull me away from the very thing I prefer to do and the very thing everyone wants me to do and the very thing Derek Smart accuses me of not doing – FINISHING THE GAME! By constantly tweeting, writing blogs and soliciting journalists in the background to report his “findings” he’s waging guerrilla warfare on my time, the time of other key executives, and the peace of mind of our employees and backers.

... and some not so funny stuff because this is a blatant lie (CR apparently does not even know anymore what the original pitch was)...

You will notice that this is saying that we would only be able to deliver Squadron 42, not the bigger game without additional funding. If you refer to the stretch goals you will notice that the base goal was enhanced community content (delivered), alpha dogfighting module (delivered) and Squadron 42 (in progress). That was the base game as described. The full persistent universe and all the extra features like FPS boarding, multiple star systems to visit, extra ships and so on are all stretch goals. As is true with most projects when the scope changes so do the timelines, you can’t build a castle in the same time you would a wood shed no matter how much money or how many people you have. To try to make some kind of narrative about how we promised the game in two years no matter how big the scope grew is false. Could we have shipped a small scale 30 mission game in the old Wing Commander format in two years? Yes, but that’s not the game the community wants or the game we’re building. What we are delivering now, just on the Squadron 42 side is more akin to a huge AAA game that would retail for $60 by itself. The value for money that people are getting for a $40 pledge is pretty crazy.

^ WTF is CR smoking? The PU was never a stretch goal. That is a blatant lie. I remember all the discussions when the game was revealed and people were worried that it would be more MMO (EVE Online) than Wing Commander. Also the KS FAQ (last updated October 19th which is the day the KS campaign started) states...

Is Star Citizen an MMO?

No! Star Citizen will take the best of all possible worlds, ranging from a permanent, persistent world similar to those found in MMOs to an offline, single player campaign like those found in the Wing Commander series. The game will include the option for private servers, like Freelancer, and will offer plenty of opportunities for players who are interested in modding the content. Unlike many games, none of these aspects is an afterthought: they all combine to form the core of the Star Citizen experience.

^ no MMO but the PU (persistent world) was announced on day one, of course. Everyone remembers that except "The Chairman Himself". LOL.

Unfortunately this alone is giving the rest of his letter a credibility rating of zero even though a lot of it sounds quite reasonable and balanced. But is it true?

3248 Comments. 163 pages. Viewing page 46.
< Newer [ 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo