Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 08/21

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Daniel

Real Name Daniel   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname CJ_Parker
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2006, 23:49
Total Comments 3248 (Veteran)
User ID 24408

User comment history
< Newer [ 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront Open Beta Begins
1. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Open Beta Begins Oct 8, 2015, 16:08 CJ_Parker

Begun the n00b fragging has...  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront Beta Preloads
36. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Beta Preloads Oct 8, 2015, 13:59 CJ_Parker

I would say that even the graphics are so-so. It just looks unrealistic. The rocks look like plastic. Way too shiny, way too much retarded bloom. Everything looks very artificial and too clean (like where's the piss stains in the snow eh? ).

Also, it would make sense as a stormtrooper maybe since they are wearing helmets, but regardless of which side you're on, it generally looks as if you are looking at the world through a visor or maybe even a camera. You don't really get a sense of being a character.
It's more like you're running around like a war reporter looking through your camera capturing footage. It's like there's some kind of glass barrier with heavy filters for effects between you and the world.
It's all very unreal and artificial looking. Not visceral enough. Try again, DICE.

News Comments > Bethesda's BattleCry "Concerns"
14. Re: Bethesda's BattleCry Oct 8, 2015, 13:51 CJ_Parker

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Oct 8, 2015, 11:50:
CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 8, 2015, 10:57:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on Oct 8, 2015, 10:52:
Bethesda said something very similar before they screwed over Human Head Studios on Prey 2. This sounds very much like internal politics and someone at corporate trying to "send a message" to the developers.

How is canceling a piece of shit game "screwing over". Bethesda would be one of the last places to NOT want a return on their investment.
If they do cancel projects then it must really be massively shitty. If the developer can't do a better job then you cut the fuckers loose. Good riddance. Simple as that.

Look up Rogue Warrior if you want to see only one of the many horrible games that Bethesda has put their name on. Not to mention how virtually every one of their open world games has shipped with massive bugs, many of which take modders to fix. I wrote a thing about this back at the time. Pray 2 may have had issues (no one really knows) but Bethesda is not the world's most virtuous company.

I know. That's why, as Verno pointed out, too, games that Bethesda cancels must be truly god awful and beyond any hope of repair. Or does anyone here think they flush millions down the toilet for shits'n'giggles?
Prey 2 must have been beyond abysmal or Bethesda would have given it a shot hoping to ride on brand name alone. The fact they chose to cancel it confirms to me that Human Head did an extremely shitty job. That's why I don't see how Human Head was "screwed over".

News Comments > Bethesda's BattleCry "Concerns"
7. Re: Bethesda's BattleCry Oct 8, 2015, 10:57 CJ_Parker

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Oct 8, 2015, 10:52:
Bethesda said something very similar before they screwed over Human Head Studios on Prey 2. This sounds very much like internal politics and someone at corporate trying to "send a message" to the developers.

How is canceling a piece of shit game "screwing over". Bethesda would be one of the last places to NOT want a return on their investment.
If they do cancel projects then it must really be massively shitty. If the developer can't do a better job then you cut the fuckers loose. Good riddance. Simple as that.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
26. Re: Morning Interviews Oct 7, 2015, 09:55 CJ_Parker

descender wrote on Oct 6, 2015, 17:56:
You can smell style and tell that someone doesn't have the expertise necessary to answer questions he actually answered?

You are amazing!

Well, you are, too! Or where is your irrefutable evidence that Thomas Hennessy actually answered to these questions himself, Mr. Cultist?

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers
1. Re: New GeForce Drivers Oct 7, 2015, 09:35 CJ_Parker

I have to say I'm actually kinda shocked about the technical excellence at nVidia but these drivers actually work for pre-loading the beta. Amazing.

That is all.

News Comments > No SC Retraction from The Escapist
82. Re: No SC Retraction from The Escapist Oct 6, 2015, 21:22 CJ_Parker

Tumbler wrote on Oct 6, 2015, 20:52:
CR recently said a PU would be up by end of 2016

Yes. He said the FULL PU (100 star systems+) will be up and running by the end of 2016. Madness. What a clown.
It is true that any questions about Squadron 42's release have remained unanswered.

It would not surprise me at all if it would be delayed to the end of next year as well. There are absolutely no signs that they are anywhere near release.
A very recent example: Lisa Ohanian of CIG confirmed on Reverse the Verse that the Starfarer is quite a ways from finished. The Starfarer will be needed for S42 so...
They will also need FPS fully working for S42 so as long as the whole FPS crap is still in limbo there is no S42 even anywhere on the farthest horizon either.
S42 is also supposed to become a huge deal commercial release. There is zero indication of a marketing campaign so far or of any preparations for a big release. CitizenCon next weekend is the first time that S42 is really getting any attention now since... ever.

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Game of the Year Edition Released
6. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Game of the Year Edition Released Oct 6, 2015, 20:58 CJ_Parker

Rattlehead wrote on Oct 6, 2015, 20:22:
It's never going to Steam, ever, the entire point of Origin is to compete with Steam. Also, you really can't simply remember that EA games are opened with Origin?

That's not really the reason DAI is not on Steam. Many EA games are still on Steam. The ones that are not are the ones where EA do not want to subject themselves to Valve's TOS which disallow selling DLC via links from within the game, thus bypassing Valve's 30% cut.
Actually, since the GOTY of DAI is a complete bundle, there is a certain chance it might eventually make it to Steam one day.

Who knows? EA is weird. For some games they do a GOTY like DAI here while the Mass Effects are still BioWare points games where the DLC has never been bundled with the games or gone on sale.
Their product policies are completely unpredictable. It would not surprise me if the GOTY of DAI goes to Steam at some point.

71. Re: No SC Retraction from The Escapist Oct 6, 2015, 17:09 CJ_Parker

Dude, I was alluding to the accusation that Sandi Gardiner supposedly said "we're not hiring a black girl". So if The Escapist gets a "North Korea" tour it might make sense to hire a bunch of black chicks for that day Wink .

And for the record: I am sure that at least that part of the Escapist piece was 100% BS. I do not believe for one second that SG is racist. On the latest Reverse the Verse show it looked like she felt quite comfortable around Justin Chambers (the black guy with the "Money" hat... it was a pretty funny episode given these recent events ).

22. Re: Morning Interviews Oct 6, 2015, 17:01 CJ_Parker

jdreyer wrote on Oct 6, 2015, 15:42:
CR: We need damage control. Who do we send?
SG: What about the video guy? He's already been spinning things for three years, and doesn't know anything about gaming anyway, so he'll defer on any technical questions?
CR: Yeah, that's the ticket! Send the video guy!

I'm actually quite curious how that interview went. It looks a lot to me like it was conducted via e-mail and cleared by Chris Roberts with additions and editing by Chris Roberts (or SG or both and their lawyer).

Some of it is way too (game development) technical for Thomas Hennessy to answer or it makes you wonder why he would answer some of the questions in such detail at all.
If I were TH then I would answer to many of those questions much more conservatively or not allow myself to even comment at all because it is neither my area of expertise nor my area of competency.
Seriously, in TH's position I would have simply said 'no comment' and 'please contact someone higher up the chain in public relations' on the majority of those questions.

I can also "smell" Chris Roberts' typical style through some of those replies.

This one here, for example, is pretty much 100% Chris Roberts:

If we were a typical publisher we would probably look to cut corners or delete features or release something full of bugs just to make a deadline, but we are not. If we want to reap the rewards of making this ground breaking game we are making, then we have to be willing to ride out the critics and skeptics who doubt us along the way.

There is absolutely no way that TH wrote those replies all by himself.

68. Re: No SC Retraction from The Escapist Oct 6, 2015, 16:48 CJ_Parker

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Oct 6, 2015, 16:35:
Kxmode wrote on Oct 6, 2015, 11:41:
Love Escapist's response. In ONE sentence they just beat the living snot out of CIG.

- notwithstanding Cloud Imperium Games' notice and posting

Translation: We heard your noise

- stands by its coverage of Star Citizen

Translation: Go pound some sand!

- and intends to continue to investigate the developing story.

Translation: It's on like a motherfucker!

Hell yeah Escapist.

That's how I read it. I can't wait to see if CIG lets them come to their studio.

I bet you it would be like a press tour of North Korea...

"Here you see our testers, working out every bug. Here you see a happy employee, quickly finishing his work. Here you see my lovely wife, complimenting employees for their hard work and dedication."

Yeah and they're probably gonna rent a dozen black chicks from some model agency, too!

34. Re: No SC Retraction from The Escapist Oct 6, 2015, 12:22 CJ_Parker

By the way, everyone, in semi-related news (ex-Star Citizen employees Wink ), Eric "WingMan" Peterson & co have put together their first playable "module" of Descent Underground in a fraction of the time anything on Star Citizen ever gets done (Descendent Studios' KS campaign ended just six months ago on April 11th). Check it out.  

13. Re: Morning Interviews Oct 6, 2015, 11:35 CJ_Parker

Creston wrote on Oct 6, 2015, 10:51:
Can I just say that I really don't need a game that's far, far bigger than the Witcher 3? Witcher 3 is plenty huge already, both land mass size and content wise.

Please don't go overboard and make it too large. Instead, make the quests more reactive, more involved. Have diverging paths.

^ this

Flesh out the story more, make the game keep track of every action with appropriate repercussions, more choices & consequences, better AI, more NPC schedules, focus on creating a living & breathing world before size and so on and so on...

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront Specs; No Microtransaction Plans
12. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Specs; No Microtransaction Plans Oct 6, 2015, 11:30 CJ_Parker

Keith wrote on Oct 6, 2015, 11:09:
All this whining despite being able to drive AT-ATs and fly X-Wings. Your EA hate runs strong.

Get a clue. You're not really going to be able to "drive" AT-ATs.
And while you will be able to fly X-Wings, it remains to be seen how much fun that will be on the teeny-tiny maps where you can't fly in a straight line for more than three seconds without failing the mission.

Congrats on falling for the hype and marketing though.

4. Re: No SC Retraction from The Escapist Oct 6, 2015, 09:56 CJ_Parker

FUCK YES!  

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront Specs; No Microtransaction Plans
3. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Specs; No Microtransaction Plans Oct 6, 2015, 09:55 CJ_Parker

No microtransactions but they will make up for it with DLC hell and shortcut unlock cheat packs.  

News Comments > CIG Demands Escapist Retraction; Threatens Lawsuit
155. Re: CIG Demands Escapist Retraction; Threatens Lawsuit Oct 5, 2015, 18:55 CJ_Parker

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Oct 5, 2015, 18:33:
I'm interested in seeing how this Citizen Con goes... if it has nothing to show I think that will be the nail in the coffin.

Every single presentation and demo has been quite promising so far. It is 100% guaranteed that they have put together an awesome looking (scripted?) gameplay demo for Squadron 42 and maybe some more mulicrew and planetside/PU alpha stuff for Citizencon. No doubt about it.
People will go "ooohhh" and "aaaaahhhh" and they will be "blown away" by how fucking awesome everything looks.

The problem with this crowdfunding project is that nothing has been released so far that even closely resembles anything shown in the myriad of flashy trailers.
That's why I don't really give a fuck what they are going to show at CitizenCon.
Even if they show "gameplay" then they need to actually film over someone's shoulder so I can see whether mouse movements and keyboard inputs correspond with what is happening on screen to eliminate any doubt of massive scripting and pre-recorded "gameplay".

At this point all that really counts is DELIVERY of PLAYABLE content. They can shove their flashy trailers and demos up their collective asses. Seriously. I've totally had it with their stupid "reveals" and Christ Roberts live stage shows.
I don't even want to know how many man hours were wasted on those demos and presentations... man hours that would have been much better spent working on the game.

And no, dear white knight cultist apologists, even if *some* of the demo material makes it into the final game you can rest assured that a ton of throwaway, make-believe, band-aid work goes into these demos for marketing purposes... just ask any random dev who is forced by their publisher to make E3 or Gamescom demos. And for them that's just once or twice a year while Christ Roberts forces his people to make flashy shit for *at least* PAX East, E3, Gamescom, CitizenCon and PAX AU so five+ shows per year.

108. Re: CIG Demands Escapist Retraction; Threatens Lawsuit Oct 5, 2015, 15:15 CJ_Parker

nin wrote on Oct 5, 2015, 15:00:
CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 5, 2015, 14:55:
Bundy wrote on Oct 5, 2015, 14:52:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 5, 2015, 14:39:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 5, 2015, 14:32:

If CIG needed to raise extra money it could release the game on Steam Early Access, which would easily bring in tens of millions of dollars;

That would be an interesting move. But they already have almost a million backers, and there's already a way to access SC "early" right on rsi.com. What exactly would they release? And how would putting it on Steam generate extra sales, when it's already available?

I think it worked out pretty good for Elite Dangerous, but they already had a game to play albiet, a rather boring one.

Elite Dangerous was never an Early Access game. Quite the contrary. It came to Steam four months AFTER its commercial launch.

You could buy in for beta and possibly alpha access (can't recall exactly).

Yes but not on Steam. ED did not become available on Steam until April 1, 2015 (it was commercially first released on December 16, 2014).
You could buy beta access on Frontier's pledge store but SC is no different in that regard obviously.
You can buy alpha access for Star Citizen via an Arena Commander pass or just buy any package for beta access.

104. Re: CIG Demands Escapist Retraction; Threatens Lawsuit Oct 5, 2015, 14:55 CJ_Parker

Bundy wrote on Oct 5, 2015, 14:52:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 5, 2015, 14:39:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 5, 2015, 14:32:

If CIG needed to raise extra money it could release the game on Steam Early Access, which would easily bring in tens of millions of dollars;

That would be an interesting move. But they already have almost a million backers, and there's already a way to access SC "early" right on rsi.com. What exactly would they release? And how would putting it on Steam generate extra sales, when it's already available?

I think it worked out pretty good for Elite Dangerous, but they already had a game to play albiet, a rather boring one.

Elite Dangerous was never an Early Access game. Quite the contrary. It came to Steam four months AFTER its commercial launch.

90. Re: CIG Demands Escapist Retraction; Threatens Lawsuit Oct 5, 2015, 14:10 CJ_Parker

Desalus wrote on Oct 5, 2015, 13:48:
The most surefire way for Chris to prove Derek and The Escapist wrong is to release a feature complete game.

My guess is that Chris is worried that The Escapist article and any further bad press with decrease the amount of future gamer funding, which means they most likely do not have enough funds to complete the game. To threaten a lawsuit seems like an act of desperation, so the remaining funds must be pretty low (probably close to that stated 8-9 million). All conjecture of course, but I don't see the point of threatening a lawsuit if further funding is not needed.

Yep. There is definitely something very rotten in the cloud imperium.

If they really were above all this then they should have put out an almost arrogant sounding press release dismissing all claims. That would be the professional way to deal with this. For reference look up how EA responded to that (probably made up as well) spouse letter a few years back. That is how professionals deal with crap like this.

What CR/CIG are doing here is completely amateurish and just adding fuel to a fire that could have easily been blown out like a candle before CR's stupid response.

All that said, I do not believe that they are short on money - yet. What I do believe, however, is that even CR knows exactly by now that the project is in mismanagement hell. Their content creation pipeline is slower than molasses and they have focused on ship creation for way too long.
Sure, the ships brought in the money but now more and more people want to see playable results. Results that they can not deliver because they first need to reorganize the whole company for a more effective delivery pipeline.
Star Marine has turned into a complete joke. It was originally scheduled for the beginning of this year . It's only a single map and it was demo'ed at PAX AU looking more or less "complete". What the fuck took them so long and how could CR be that wrong?
If the rest of the project is in similar shape then CR/CIG can probably see the writing on the wall which in effect led to this totally unprofessional retort.

3248 Comments. 163 pages. Viewing page 45.
< Newer [ 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo