Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 08/21

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Daniel

Real Name Daniel   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname CJ_Parker
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2006, 23:49
Total Comments 3248 (Veteran)
User ID 24408

User comment history
< Newer [ 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 ] Older >

News Comments > etc., etc.
6. Re: Xbox One Controller's Wireless PC Adapter Coming This Month… Oct 13, 2015, 00:03 CJ_Parker

They gotta be fucking kidding. First it takes them two fucking years to fucking bring this very simple functionality to PC gamers and then they have the fucking nerve to make it Windows 10 exclusive????? And charge $25 for this piece of shit?????

While this isn't a new all-time low in Microsoft's incredibly shitty track record of incompetence regarding PC gaming ever since the inception of the original ShitBox, it is WAY, WAY, WAY down there.

The rage of all Sith lords in Star Wars history combined is not enough to express my sentiments for those incompetent assclowns.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront Modes and Season Pass Detailed
17. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Modes and Season Pass Detailed Oct 12, 2015, 23:51 CJ_Parker

Wake me up when that $120 ultimate bundle sells for €19.99 or less.  

News Comments > Half-Life 2: Episode Three Sets Dubious Record; HL3 Clue in Dota 2?
18. Re: Half-Life 2: Episode Three Sets Dubious Record; HL3 Clue in Dota 2? Oct 12, 2015, 13:54 CJ_Parker

Wallshadows wrote on Oct 12, 2015, 13:16:
Half-Life isn't even a great series. I never understood the hype around it then and certainly not now...

Zips up the flame suit

Well, I think HL1 deserves some credit for being the first real story-driven shooter with a AAA production budget, merging the gameplay and a rather spectacular cinematic feel at the time. Other shooters back then were mostly just that... shoot'em ups. Heck, id admitted that their MO was to create all the levels first and to think up a "story" connecting them later.

However, over the years we've seen many, many more story-driven shooters and today it's the norm. Even CoD and BF have campaigns with stories and then there is the good stuff, of course, like Deus Ex, Dishonored, BioShock, F.E.A.R and so on.
The world does not really need Gordon Freeman anymore and it is true that the HL story does not stand out as particularly interesting after all these years when compared to many other games that have come out in the meantime.

News Comments > Might & Magic Heroes VII Collector's Edition Refunds
1. Re: Might & Magic Heroes VII Collector's Edition Refunds Oct 12, 2015, 13:42 CJ_Parker

LOL  

News Comments > Star Citizen Star Cast Revealed
147. Re: Star Citizen Star Cast Revealed Oct 12, 2015, 13:37 CJ_Parker

Zor wrote on Oct 12, 2015, 13:02:
Cutter wrote on Oct 12, 2015, 10:47:
See, wrong again. It's attacked precisely because of the lack of actual content. Years of talk, talk, talk, and no content. Sales of potential virtual items...no actual content. See how that works?

If I may ask... exactly what content are they not showing that you are expecting to see at this stage in development? Against what other similar project with regards to scope, company inception & growth, and budget would you be comparing this to? Just curious.

I'm going to assume you're going to take all variables of this project into consideration: Such as the size of the company as it's grown over the years as they started from scratch. The challenge of creating the game from an existing engine which is unfortunately requiring wild levels of reverse engineering and conversion (as opposed to the potentially smarter and potentially longer course of developing their own engine from scratch). The significant work of creating tools and design pipelines. The self imposed challenges of communicating and collaborating between a global development structure(which was done, as they said, to entice talent without asking them to relocate). The backlog of work that awaits new employees they are still looking to hire. The very obvious fact that the crowd poured way more money into this than they could have ever imagined by knocking out stretch goal after stretch goal (each one requiring significant development time). There are probably a few things I missed.

Certainly there is a lack of content at this point, but if I'm not wrong, it is fairly par for the course. You have to create the tools, the tech, the foundation, and infrastructure before you fill the canvas with content, right? I think they're showing pretty good progress this year on that front.

Dude. Every single crowdfunding project from the 2012/2013 era has either been released or is in a much more advanced state of development than Star Citizen.
All the things you list... no one ever held a gun to CR's/CIG's head and forced them to blow the scope out of proportion or to go with a certain engine yada yada.... yeah, those poor puppies... they've had it sooooooo hard all these years. Outrageous to expect more progress! Rolleyes

Anyway, as someone who has been following the project very closely I can tell you exactly what the problem has been so far.

When CIG realized (to their own and everyone's surprise) that selling digital starships is the ticket to success they organized their company in a way to optimize the ship delivery pipeline and not the content delivery pipeline.

Likewise, they looked at how can we produce some quick results to enable people to view their shiny ships in their hangars and thus the hangar module was conceived.

The other modules were chosen by feasibility and how fast they could be done in CryEngine. Example: The race tracks. Racing was but a whisper during the KS campaign and a very minor side stretch goal bullet point. CIG pushed out the race tracks because they could be done relatively fast and in order to keep the ball rolling.

In essence the project has so far suffered from focusing on promotional material and to keep the ship sales rolling instead of actual gameplay delivery.
If you look at Christ Roberts' long overdue (at the time) explanation in May why Star Marine was two months late (again: at the time) you will find that one of the major reasons he gave was that they finally realized that it might make sense to first develop the backbone, you know, the architecture that will hold all these modules together one day (hopefully).

That's like the most backwards development ever. They should have laid the groundwork at the start of the project, of course, and not two and a half years in.
There are HUGE risks now if it turns out that connecting Arena Commander, the FPS, the social module etc. requires major reworks of these modules that would not have been necessary if all the groundwork would have been done in the first place.

Finally, just look at the monthly reports. I get that marketing is important but CIG is constantly in crunch mode for "reveals" either at PAX East, E3, Gamescom, CitizenCon or PAX AU.

One of the most common complaints by developers working under a publisher that you will find when a project does not live up to expectations is that the developer will blame the publisher's demands for demos and promo material.

And publishers usually only demand that kind of stuff for E3 and/or Gamescom. CIG is easily doing twice as many events all year round. They do not give their devs time to breathe or to focus.
It is no wonder that S42 is late because Foundry 42 is constantly forced to produce or help out on all sorts of promo crap.

We could be MUCH further along if Christ Roberts would have kept the scope in check and if the development of the game would have been done the "right" away around by first building all the "boring" backend stuff, the netcode etc.
It probably also would have helped to get some serious consulting expertise on the choice of the engine. I have a feeling that UE4 or building their own engine would have been a much better choice.

Oh well, it is what it is... let's just hope that the worst case won't happen. The way the project is mismanaged it would not surprise me one bit though and it should not surprise anyone else either. The cultists have been warned plenty that something is rotten in the state of the cloud imperium. All we can hope is that the game will still happen in some form in spite of Christ Roberts.

News Comments > Half-Life 2: Episode Three Sets Dubious Record; HL3 Clue in Dota 2?
12. Re: Half-Life 2: Episode Three Sets Dubious Record; HL3 Clue in Dota 2? Oct 12, 2015, 12:33 CJ_Parker

Very disappointing all around. If even the developer can not take their own series serious enough to bring it to its conclusion via the third episode then why the fuck am I supposed to care?
Even if they release Ep 3 or HL3 one day I'm only gonna buy it for $5 on a xmas sale. Fuck Valve.

97. Re: Star Citizen Star Cast Revealed Oct 12, 2015, 02:03 CJ_Parker

Past experience talk here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEdWwDPK9oY

95. Re: Star Citizen Star Cast Revealed Oct 12, 2015, 01:54 CJ_Parker

In the video I linked to earlier she says she has a MBA in marketing. There is also an interview with James Pugh (former CM) where she talks about her prior work experience in marketing (restaurants, fashion, night clubs etc.).
So far no one has been able to bring up irrefutable proof that she does not have the MBA or the work experience.

93. Re: Star Citizen Star Cast Revealed Oct 12, 2015, 01:48 CJ_Parker

Korrd wrote on Oct 12, 2015, 00:35:
I do wish they'd pointed it out every chance they got, but only so we wouldn't have to deal with this stupidity now.

The funny part is that they would have had to only mention it once and no one would have ever wondered or cared ever again. Like in the initial pitch video "Hello I'm Christ Roberts and this is my goddess wife Sandi Gardiner and we're gonna make the best damn space sim ever for you fuckers".

Or something along those lines...

Seriously... it wouldn't have ever been a topic again. The big question remains: Why keep it a secret? Did Sandi not want to appear to be "just Chris' wife"? Did she want to build her rep on her own merits alone? That just doesn't make any sense because you create an awkward atmosphere at your workplace if everyone knows anyway. It's just really strange. WTF were they thinking?

86. Re: Star Citizen Star Cast Revealed Oct 12, 2015, 00:09 CJ_Parker

Krovven wrote on Oct 11, 2015, 23:36:
Kosumo wrote on Oct 11, 2015, 21:57:
Oh, they started the video with Christ Roberts weepy Sandi vigina. Oh, what a tear jerker. Crying

She would be such a catch, with her Star Citizen 'tatoo' I wonder if she is married? Love2

She even gets flowers, shiff shiff. Sarcasticclap

WTF - SHE HIS WIFE Family - "It's not a secret" Rubeyes But for three years it was never mention - That's abit deciptive. Headscratch

I need a moment, back soon. Outtahere

I pretty much agree with Creston post #64. But all the stupid posts like this one above from Kosumo just has me scratching my head. Dude I know you aren't 10, so why behave like you are?

Why did nobody come out and say they were married? Because it's nobody's business and because mouth breathing retards would make a mountain out of molehill just like they have been doing. Sandi being his wife has no bearing on anything at all. None. Just because someone donated $45 to a game doesn't mean you get to have personal details about all the employees, let alone a say in the matter.

I'll tell you the same thing I said to HalfElf...Don Mattrick, one time President of EA (his previous company became EA Canada), his mother worked in Human Resources at the Burnaby location. This is a public company and guess what, NOBODY gives a fuck. Nepatism is not illegal.

How do we know that Derek Smarts wife isn't an accountant for his company? We don't, it's irrelevant and I can guarantee you he would never tell you her name, if/where she works and how much she makes.

Please go ahead and list how many company heads you know, their wives names, whether they work for the same company and how much money they make. 1, 2, 3...go.

It's a little different here though because Christ Roberts has kept and keeps on touting the "OMG we're so transparent and everything is open development it's never been done before this open" horn. Just about every employee is dragged in front of a camera for team interviews and with Sandi and Christ it's gone as far as him interviewing her without giving the slightest clue re their marital status.
In addition to that they have done literally dozens of shows together (e.g. Next Great Starship) and numerous events without a bleep and pretending to have only a professional relationship.

To me this isn't about nepotism at all. If he wants to hire his entire family and as long as they do a good job I don't give a shit.
To me it's more about trust. It's another fishy piece in an entire space whale fishing ship that's about to sink from all the catch or kill all the sailors from the stench.
There is a reason why people who have followed the project closely, and listened to what Christ Roberts has said along the journey, are referring to him as a snake oil salesman or a used cars dealer type.
There have been numerous broken promises and lies already and keeping his marital status a secret does not exactly help (re-)build trust.

News Comments > Star Citizen Ship Explosion Trailer
109. Re: CitizenCon twitch steam Oct 11, 2015, 11:20 CJ_Parker

jdreyer wrote on Oct 11, 2015, 06:17:
Kxmode wrote on Oct 11, 2015, 05:00:
One of the sources in the Escapist article said, "[Chris] failed in Hollywood, but he never made peace with that." A person who never makes peace with something is adamant about making peace with it, and by any means necessary. Which is why Chris isn't making a Video Game. He's working on a Movie that happens to take place inside a Video Game. Squadron 42 is a Movie-Game. His actress wife Sandi is likely hoping Squadron 42 will launch her movie career proper.

Not sure I'd call him a failure in Hollywood. He made Lord of War, Lucky No. Slevin, and Outlander, all films I enjoyed.

By the way Backers will NOT get to fly their ships in 2016. I believe SC is on hold while CIG focuses on finishing Squadron 42. It has to be because the SQ42 cinematic ANNOUNCES a hard 2016 date. From a tech and business standpoint it makes sense to put SC on hold.

Different teams though, no?

There is and there always has been a lot of crossover. Theoretically, Foundry 42 with Erin Roberts in the UK is all about Squadron 42 and CIG Austin with Tony Zurovec is all about the PU but that's really only a theory.
If you check the monthly reports, you will see that Foundry 42 is constantly helping out on Arena Commander patches or working on promotional stuff for reveals and events (PAX East and AU, E3, Gamescom, CitizenCon etc.).
Likewise, the guys in Austin are doing a lot of stuff (on the ships mostly) that the guys in the UK require in order to make progress on S42.

The problem with Star Citizen from the beginning has been a lack of focus on actual game/content delivery. They have mostly focused on releasing promotional material and the modules just so that people can gaze at their ships and get an illusion of "soon".

If what Christ Roberts has been saying is true and the first episode of Squadron 42 is really going to become bigger than Wing Commander (he talked about 15 to 20 hours for the first episode of S42 before), then they are definitely going to need a lot more focus and all hands on deck to make it happen in 2016.

Not sure if you could really call it putting the PU "on hold" (artists will still keep creating assets for example) but due to the interdependencies between CIG's studios, it would certainly take a backseat for a while if they choose to focus on S42 delivery.

Christ Roberts' statements from Gamescom that the "FULL PU" (100 star systems, everything) will be out by the end of next year is definitely the biggest joke ever. Try end of 2018 - at the earliest IMHO... and even then not feature complete by a long shot when compared to all the stretch goals.

This comment was edited on Oct 11, 2015, 12:14.

101. Re: CitizenCon twitch steam Oct 11, 2015, 03:38 CJ_Parker

Kxmode wrote on Oct 11, 2015, 01:07:
The stretch goal promised voice-acting. There was never any mention of voice-acting and MoCap performances, which is what they're doing. The cost for an A-List actor for voice acting AND MoCap work is way more expensive. Multiply that by 7 well known actors for 4 months of work. Easily within the 10-20 million range; perhaps higher.

Yep. Gotta be crazy expensive. Travel to London (dozens of business/first class flights), accommodation (four/five star hotels for several weeks), daily food supply during work hours via 1st class catering services, beer & blowjobs, you name it...

And let's not even get started on the cost of renting the studio and equipment for months.

A double digit ($10+) million figure definitely doesn't sound unreasonable.

A crazy waste of backer funds when less known actors (many of whom would be happy to get an opportunity to do work at all) would have done the job just as well.

But, no, Christ Roberts played CoD Advanced Warfare, saw Kevin Spacey as president and thought "me too"... *sigh*

85. Re: CitizenCon twitch steam Oct 10, 2015, 18:13 CJ_Parker

Oh and if anyone is wondering where a lot of the money went.

Squadron 42 cast:

- Gary Oldman
- Mark Hamill
- Mark Strong
- Sophie Wu
- Sandi Gardiner (LOL)
- Gillian Anderson
- Craig Fairbrass
- Liam Cunningham
- Ben Mendelsohn
- Ian Duncan
- Jack Huston
- John Rhys Davies
- Rhona Mitra (yay b00bies! )
- Andy Serkis
- Gemma Whelan
- Harry Treadaway

^ So at least the voices won't suck.

84. Re: CitizenCon twitch steam Oct 10, 2015, 18:08 CJ_Parker

Squadron 42 site and trailer is up:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/squadron42

And a star map

And their YT channel has some new vids too.

As usual with these guys. Lotsa style, zero substance. And the little real gameplay there was to be seen from the stream (Arena Commander 2.0) looked rather mediocre. Still no proper flight model worth mentioning.

At least they are finally admitting that S42 has slipped to 2016.

This comment was edited on Oct 10, 2015, 18:21.

News Comments > More Star Wars Battlefront Beta Servers
9. Re: More Star Wars Battlefront Beta Servers Oct 9, 2015, 13:58 CJ_Parker

Mac wrote on Oct 9, 2015, 13:57:
Creston wrote on Oct 9, 2015, 13:41:
Mac wrote on Oct 9, 2015, 09:58:
Lies ... I've tried the game twice and not once have I had to queue for a server ... they are just trying to feed the hype machine.

I'd say twice is a fairly small sample size.

Agreed, but has anyone had any probs getting a game?

Only shortly yesterday afternoon around 15:00 CET when the beta launched but no probs since then.

14. Re: Star Citizen Ship Explosion Trailer Oct 9, 2015, 10:29 CJ_Parker

ItBurn wrote on Oct 9, 2015, 10:12:
CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 9, 2015, 10:10:
So they're still tweaking explosions but Squadron 42 is still coming out this year, right?

BWAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Explosins don't need to be final to release SQ42. I don't think it was ever announced this year though. This game is going to be iterative.

Oh no, I replied in a CS thread. I gotta stop this.

But... but... but... what about THE FIDELITY, man?

F-I-D-E-L-I-T-Y and I-M-M-E-R-S-H-U-N

How am I supposed to get properly fidelitized and immershuned without these AWESOME EXPLOSIONS???

Chris promised me FIDELITY and IMMERSHUN and now you're ruining it all with your ITERATIVE BULLSHIT???

AAAARRRRRRGGGGHHHHH....

I need a rope...

7. Re: Star Citizen Ship Explosion Trailer Oct 9, 2015, 10:10 CJ_Parker

So they're still tweaking explosions but Squadron 42 is still coming out this year, right?

BWAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 9, 2015, 09:54 CJ_Parker

HAHAHAHAHAAAAA LOL@Xbone  

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront Open Beta Begins
20. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Open Beta Begins Oct 8, 2015, 18:53 CJ_Parker

Yep. It's garbage but there are a couple of positives:

- The original Star Wars sound effects & music
- The (mostly) accurate art assets. That snowspeeder in the rebel hangar is very nicely done. Maybe a bit too small(?). And the AT-ATs seem to be a little too tall but the detail is pretty amazing.

Someone needs to take these assets and make an actual good game from it all. Jedi Knight IV or KotOR III minus the "OR", please (i.e. no Old Republic but a RPG set between Episode III and IV or between VI and VII would be cool with these assets).

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront Open Beta Begins
17. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Open Beta Begins Oct 8, 2015, 18:23 CJ_Parker

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 8, 2015, 18:09:
There is literally not way to have HOTAS equipment and keyboard/mouse comfortable arranged in front of you given the difference in height.

I find your lack of faith disturbing!

3248 Comments. 163 pages. Viewing page 44.
< Newer [ 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo