Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 07/23

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Daniel

Real Name Daniel   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname CJ_Parker
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2006, 23:49
Total Comments 3241 (Veteran)
User ID 24408

User comment history
< Newer [ 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ] Older >

News Comments > Halo 5 PC Possibilities
19. Re: Halo 5 PC Possibilities Oct 23, 2015, 14:47 CJ_Parker

How about no Microsoft? How about simply FUCKING NO??? Please keep that trite garbage to your ShitBox and leave us alone with your preteen idea of a FPS, kthx!

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 23, 2015, 11:16:
The Half Elf wrote on Oct 23, 2015, 09:24:
If Microsoft was smart they would take the entire collection and put it on the PC in one package.
Exactly. Remaster it, make it DX12 exclusive (i.e. Windows 10 exclusive) and bundle it altogether - exactly like they did with Gears Of War.

What the hell are you talking about? Gears of War Ultimate Edition is only a remake of part numero uno and not the whole series.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
2. Re: Samsung 950 Oct 23, 2015, 14:46 CJ_Parker

Duuuuuuuude. Relax.

It's not really that interesting for us gamers anyway. Compared to current SSDs your level load time may decrease from 21.3 seconds to only 19.8 seconds. Wow. Big deal. Not.
It really only matters in enterprise environments where huge amounts of data get shuffled around and where you benefit from both, the very low access times and the high transfer speeds.
Those drives won't usually make sense in a home PC unless you shoot private pr0n vids in 4K and need to move terabytes of data.

News Comments > Descent: Underground Early Access
2. Re: Descent: Underground Early Access Oct 22, 2015, 18:52 CJ_Parker

Dude, their KS campaign ended in April (this year). This is an early access playable build created in just a little over six months. Credit where credit is due. That's pretty impressive for starters.

Now let's give them a chance to refine it and improve it and add to it and balance it and polish it and everything else that belongs to properly developing a video game.
Then, if it still looks like crap in a year from now, would be about the right time to get worried or accuse them of "cashing in on the name".

My only concern is that I could definitely see them release and abandon it a little prematurely if interest does not ramp up with the EA release. Their KS goal was $600K and they kept funding enabled via their website. It seems like they have removed the counter now that the game went EA but last time I checked a couple weeks ago or so it was at ~$630K or something like that.
They have not been able to generate any kind of substantial interest since the ending of the KS campaign and it is an open secret that they must have helped the KS over the finishing line themselves because there was a weird spike in the last day or last few hours.

So if EA does not help getting a lot more copies sold then I'm sure that they will release and abandon instead of running the company into the ground by clinging to a failure.

News Comments > Morning Patches
4. Re: Morning Patches Oct 22, 2015, 11:02 CJ_Parker

Darks wrote on Oct 22, 2015, 09:38:
So glad that I have been holding off on Witcher 3. After they get it all fixed and patched up it will be a fun smooth ride.

^ this - Looking forward to the enhanced edition round about this time next year hopefully.

News Comments > DOOM Alpha Weapons Images Leak
4. Re: DOOM Alpha Weapons Images Leak Oct 22, 2015, 10:51 CJ_Parker

Y.A.W.N  

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Syndicate Story Guide
2. Re: Assassin's Creed Syndicate Story Guide Oct 22, 2015, 00:06 CJ_Parker

I'd say it was fun when Desmond Miles was still around but ever since the end of AC3 it's been pretty pointless and has just been dragged along for no purpose than old time's sake.
They should make a decision to either reinstate the importance of the Abstergo thing properly or cut it loose for good cuz the half-assed shit is not helping anyone.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
14. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 22, 2015, 00:03 CJ_Parker

Works fine for me most of the time in central EU except for the weekends sometimes. Saturday/Sunday afternoons and evenings can be a little slow and then it drops from 1080p to 480p or lower in extreme cases.
So I'd say it's Google/YT. They can't handle the weekend onslaught.

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront Details
41. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Details Oct 21, 2015, 19:39 CJ_Parker

It would be so easy to win if they simply made a decent Star Wars (multiplayer) shooter. It wouldn't even have to be anything like Battlefield or Battlefront. Just decent. And not like that completely retarded dumbed down casual console garbage we got served as a beta recently.

Some keywords:

- State of the art DirectX 12 graphics
- An epic single player campaign with a branching storyline (dark/light), choices & consequences, different mission outcomes depending on the player's performance, multiple endings
- Multiplayer modes galore
- 32vs32 player battles on large maps with real vehicles
- Team play with squads
- Dedicated (optionally) ranked servers
- Class system (medic, assault, sniper/recon, heavy/engineer)
- Slower tactical gameplay with prone, lean left/right etc. (not necessarily ArmA but not the casual garbage of the current game either)
- "Realistic" weapon characteristics like e.g. the E-11 (that trademark stormtrooper rifle that couldn't hit the broad side of a barn in the movies) should be inaccurate as fuck. Pistols accurate at short range, rifles at medium/long range depending on chosen power-ups.

That would be all for a start. Generally: Think outside the box. Don't fixate on Battlefield/Battlefront. Borrow a little bit of everything from games that are fun to play and that offer a rich shooter experience. I might even pay $60 for a game like that.

The problem with DICE/EA is that they're lazy as fuck. Of course they can't win. They can't win cuz they suck ass.
All they can do is first carbon copy Battlefield crap and then TAKE AWAY from it by DUMBING DOWN shit left, right and center.
Instead they should be ADDING shit on top of the Battlefield formula for a richer and more satisfying shooter experience.

The really sad part is that many of you will buy the game regardless, let them get away with it and thus will encourage them to get even lazier when it's time for BF5 or SWBF 2. EA will never change as long as people keep supporting their schemes.

SWBF already is the next logical step after the decline from BF4 to BFH to SWBF. Simple games for simpletons have become even simpler.
If that is what you guys want then more power to you but do not complain when the next installment goes all out retard-friendly.

News Comments > Rainbow Six Siege Gameplay Video
3. Re: Rainbow Six Siege Gameplay Video Oct 21, 2015, 16:13 CJ_Parker

Fion wrote on Oct 21, 2015, 13:01:
Rainbow Six going back to its roots? One could only hope.

You obviously haven't played the free beta...

The only thing that is going back to its roots here is the stinging root canal sort of pain you feel when playing this garbage.

Rogue Spear remains untouched by this piece of shit. It's not even in the same ballpark in a 100000000000000 lightyears diameter. Or thereabouts...

News Comments > Morning Patches
6. Re: Morning Patches Oct 21, 2015, 11:37 CJ_Parker

wraithnix wrote on Oct 21, 2015, 00:11:
I don't understand all the hate for SWTOR here on Blue's...just got done playing the first four chapters of Knights of the Fallen Empire and I'm having a freaking blast.

Why are you having a "freaking blast"? You enjoy games with absolutely no challenge whatsoever? I'm near the end of KotFE and I've accidentally fallen to my death twice. Except for that my health bar has not dropped below 50% even once (Jedi Consular).
This expansion is a new definition of "casual". You just push "W" to move from cutscene to cutscene and that's it. It's even worse in that regard than the original class stories.

I will concede that the cutscenes aren't too bad and that the story and characters are fairly good (for a free expansion).
But they totally forgot to put an actual game in there. How about some exploration (everything is a linear corridor), some interesting loot and items, maybe a puzzle, a little challenge, just something... anything... there is nothing AT ALL in there. Nada. Niente. Zilch. There is only the 'W' key.

If this would have cost any money beyond the sub fee I would be royally pissed off. Seriously.

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront III Footage?
4. Re: Star Wars Battlefront III Footage? Oct 21, 2015, 11:18 CJ_Parker

Yeah it looks way better than the trite garbage they are going to release in a few weeks. For example no retarded power-ups. See how the dude actually walked up to the snowspeeder, hopped in and took off from the hangar? The way it is meant to be played.
EA/DICE can keep their fucking stupid casual garbage moron-friendly half-bred rip-off abortion of Battlefront.

News Comments > Konami Denies Kojima Exit
12. Re: Konami Denies Kojima Exit Oct 20, 2015, 16:22 CJ_Parker

What a retarded personal cult... just fire that clown already and be done with it, kthx!

Jeeeeeezzzzzz...

News Comments > Star Citizen Status Update
71. Re: Star Citizen Status Update Oct 19, 2015, 16:05 CJ_Parker

WaltC wrote on Oct 19, 2015, 15:35:
yuastnav wrote on Oct 19, 2015, 12:43:
... I've dreamt of what Chris is trying to do since I was a kid but while growing up I realised that this is just not possible, at least not now.

I've dreamed for 25 years of an RPG with incredible depth and attention to detail, complete realism, and a fantastic and fascinating storyline, done with movie-like production values in its graphics & sound presentation--and was about to give it up as a forlorn hope---and then came Witcher 3. CDPR has just raised the RPG bar--the game-development bar--by a huge amount.

Apples vs. oranges, dude. The Witcher 3 is a single player game and I'm glad you liked it but... "complete realism"? Really?

To stay with an apple vs. apple comparison: I don't think anyone here is doubting that CIG can pull off offline single player Squadron 42. It will require a beefy computer to run (fine with me) but can it be done? Sure.

The real issue, where the doubts are more than warranted, is the persistent universe. We do not have the physical network capacities anywhere on this planet to ever have 50 to 100 players in an instance in and outside of space ships that function fully according to CIG's specs as defined per the original pitch and the stretch goal spreadsheet.
That's just not possible. It would probably not even be possible in a LAN environment because they need to stream enormous amounts of data back and forth between the instance servers, the backbone/database and the clients all of the time.

It does not mean that the Star Citizen PU will never happen in some shape or form. What most of us here mean is it will never happen according to the full specs (with every single stretch goal implemented and as fleshed out as described in many of CR's marketing speeches).

There will be cuts, there will be compromises, there will be disappointments. It is inevitable. I know that dreaming is nice but I'm a realist and I believe it's disingenuous of CIG to keep the impossible dream alive when they fully well know that it's not gonna happen in all its advertised glory.

That's what my criticism is mostly directed at. I hate being treated like a little kid on xmas eve when I'm old enough to know that Santa is my neighbor's dad in a costume. Chris Roberts is an adult. I'm an adult. Let's treat each other as such and let's be honest about the pitch, the promises and what can really reasonably be delivered.

65. Re: Star Citizen Status Update Oct 19, 2015, 15:23 CJ_Parker

Kxmode wrote on Oct 19, 2015, 15:20:
nin wrote on Oct 19, 2015, 13:57:
Kxmode wrote on Oct 19, 2015, 13:53:
Hello everyone. Can we be space friends?

Should we talk about Space Pets?

Yes, Sir. I present to you the Star Citizen - $64 million stretch goal:

Pets – We have repair bots, we have fish… but we haven’t implemented a traditional pet system in Star Citizen yet. At $64 million, that changes. From Jones the Cat in Alien to the Battlestar Galactica’s Daggit, pets have a place onboard starships… and we want to give you that option in Star Citizen. Expect traditional terrestrial options, plus anything exotic we can dream up in the Star Citizen universe! (Those Torshu Grey crabs that keep escaping are just the start.) This stretch goal is in honor of Paddington, Strike Dog of the UEES Paul Steed. In one of our first videos Paddington helped us get to $4 million back in the initial campaign, and sadly passed away recently.

55. Re: Star Citizen Status Update Oct 19, 2015, 14:12 CJ_Parker

jdreyer wrote on Oct 19, 2015, 13:48:
You weren't impressed by Alpha 2.0? I thought that was a pretty excellent demo of how all the disparate systems will work together, rough patches aside.

I will be mildly impressed as soon as I can play it with dozens (let's say at least 50) of players in the same instance from my computer at home, connected to EU Star Citizen servers (regional servers for alpha were a stretch goal so it's not unrealistic to expect EU AC 2.0 servers) that provide a mostly lag-free experience without any rubberbanding etc.

I will be seriously impressed if I can play this and the whole PU just "happens" around me at the same time in real-time.
But not before that. Demos and trailers don't cut it. Their demos were made under "lab conditions".
They need to show it off in the wild. You know, the whole live specimen in its natural habitat... with laggy connections, players dropping in and out, players with very different hardware specs and a wide range of connection speeds/latencies and all that jazz.

44. Re: Star Citizen Status Update Oct 19, 2015, 13:18 CJ_Parker

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 19, 2015, 12:56:
Every time they just shift the focus - the S42 reveal was good so suddenly it's 'they must have spent $37m on the cast'. It's comical.

As Taylor Swift sang: haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate.

Blahblah parroting the company line as always and taking everything at face value instead of looking at what is actually happening and drawing conclusion on your own.

Besides, I for one am not shifting focus. I've already said that the Squadron 42 reveal sucked major ass. Even Uwe Boll would be embarrassed if he showed off a cheesy pretentious trailer speech like that. That crap was not even B-movie worthy.
No, Sir. They showed zero Squadron 42 gameplay. Z.E.R.O. Nada. Zilch. Niente. Fuck all.
Just a cheesy as fuck mo-capped Gary Oldman who can't even pronounce the name of his character -Admiral Bishop- straight at his age. Fuck their lame-ass Squadron 42 reveal. It couldn't have been more disappointing than that.

41. Re: Star Citizen Status Update Oct 19, 2015, 12:53 CJ_Parker

Razumen wrote on Oct 19, 2015, 12:31:
yuastnav wrote on Oct 19, 2015, 12:22:
Razumen wrote on Oct 19, 2015, 11:36:
yuastnav wrote on Oct 19, 2015, 11:26:
Razumen wrote on Oct 19, 2015, 10:27:
Blue wrote on Oct 19, 2015, 10:15:
Razumen wrote on Oct 19, 2015, 10:12:
Honestly, anyone that tries to argue that this game is a fraud is just a blatant troll at this point.

So you are blatantly trolling for blatant trolls?

No, if I was trolling I'd be making baseless statements only to get a rise out of people. Since I'm actually making an informed opinion about it, at most you can call it a pre-emptive defense against the usual cynicism found here.

I'm just saying that it is technically and physically impossible to do what they want to do. No amount of tweaking and fixing can simulate a world with such a scope in real-time. You could have separate spaces where you do FPS combat and space combat but then you would also need to synchronise these two spaces which would also require a lot of resources.
As far as I know no one has ever mentioned how they are going to do that. Of course that is something that is behind the scenes and doesn't get out to the public but it's difficult to imagine nonetheless that it's going to work.

That's why this whole thing is a bag of dreams and nothing more.

Lol, so we should believe you just because you can't understand how they're doing it, despite the fact they've already demonstrated it LIVE to an actual audience, and despite the fact they have a lot of people who are probably more knowledgeable than anyone here working on it?

Wow, the level of denial here is mind blowing.

I know a bit about complex simulations and I keep up to date concerning modern PC games and what they are able to accomplish with a certain performance at current systems.
Do you not comprehend that there comes a point at which it is just not physically possible to do something? CIG are neither scientists nor researches and they use the methods available to everyone else. They use certain models and algorithms to simulate the game and with how our current CPUs work it's impossible to simulate it to the extent and detail they want it to. I didn't know that they already lowered their expectations. If they do that enough they might be able to do it, with proper optimisations. But not to the extent they originally intended.

Despite the fact that you're ignoring that Star citizen isn't even designed for modern systems, I think you're also greatly exaggerating the difficulty of the problem. There are multiple ways to integrate a simulation involving multiple ship and first person physics, one of which is separate physics instances for the insides of ships and stations, which is what I believe what they're already doing, and what some similar games already do.

You still have to make all those instances exchange information among each other and then share it all with the global backbone and the involved clients in real time.

For example the recent pretty 'splosion video:

- The Constellation needs to visibly blow up for everyone in that instance
- The crew must be dealt with. They either blow up with the ship or the game needs to spawn them in escape pods outside the ship if they managed to reach the pods in time. This, of course, needs to be processed inside the ship instance and shared in real-time with the space instance.
- The debris must be calculated realistically in real-time because it needs to become available for rescue and salvage ships.
- Any ships that are close enough to the 'splosion or crossing the path of the debris must take realistic damage depending on vicinity, size of the piece of debris, velocity, whatever...
- Escape pods must remain in the instance for some time to allow for pick-up by SAR craft

^ You know this is some very complex stuff to pull off in multiplayer. No problem in single player Squadron 42 but good luck with 100 ships/clients in an instance and a global backbone that all need to be on the "same page" as far as this one single minor event is concerned.
And we haven't even started yet thinking about insurance, respawns, the ship's cargo, did the player or a crew member have a bounty on their head, were they smuggling goods, was someone hidden inside a cargo crate as a blind passenger etc. etc. etc. which would all add to the heaps of data that need to be pushed around from one simple ship blowing up... of course all of that on top of the heaps of data that will already be pushed around by all of the other gameplay systems.
It just can not be done. Not at the advertised level of fidelity in conjunction with any significant number of ships/clients per level. Something is going to have to fly out the window and since a multiplayer game without multiple players wouldn't be much fun it will be the "fidelity".

30. Re: Star Citizen Status Update Oct 19, 2015, 12:27 CJ_Parker

Razumen wrote on Oct 19, 2015, 12:06:
So because they're still working on the game they obviously will never finish it? Nice circular reasoning there.

I never said that. I'm in the camp that says they will finish it but they will never be able to deliver on the full package.

"It's never been done before because it can not be done".

This is true. Even if every household had fiber and there would be 1TB/s connections between every client and SC servers there is no way that they will be able to pull it off.
It will be difficult enough to achieve the projected level of fidelity in offline single player Squadron 42 and make it run on current hardware next year or in 2017 but forget about multiplayer, let alone "massively" online multiplayer. It will require serious downscaling if you ever want to have more than a handful of ships per instance.

Also, games very rarely live up completely to their original design documents either due to money, time constraints, or soem things just not being currently feasible. Have you ever read a design document and then compared it to the released product? The original Bioshock is a good example of this. There are countless games that are not 100% what their creator's envisioned, but they still came out on top.

Very true but we're talking about a crowdfunded project here and not a publisher funded game.

When a dev pitches a game to a publisher they will always exaggerate a little and try to impress the publisher in some way. It's like an application and the publisher knows exactly that they are getting fed some bullshit. It is the producer's job to filter the bullshit and decide whether there is a game worth funding in the pitch.

I sincerely hope I do not have to explain that crowdfunding where the end customer coughs up the cash up front might be a slightly different story? Especially if the developer pounds their own chest about "open development" and "transparency" all the time?

24. Re: Star Citizen Status Update Oct 19, 2015, 11:49 CJ_Parker

Razumen wrote on Oct 19, 2015, 11:36:
yuastnav wrote on Oct 19, 2015, 11:26:
Razumen wrote on Oct 19, 2015, 10:27:
Blue wrote on Oct 19, 2015, 10:15:
Razumen wrote on Oct 19, 2015, 10:12:
Honestly, anyone that tries to argue that this game is a fraud is just a blatant troll at this point.

So you are blatantly trolling for blatant trolls?

No, if I was trolling I'd be making baseless statements only to get a rise out of people. Since I'm actually making an informed opinion about it, at most you can call it a pre-emptive defense against the usual cynicism found here.

I'm just saying that it is technically and physically impossible to do what they want to do. No amount of tweaking and fixing can simulate a world with such a scope in real-time. You could have separate spaces where you do FPS combat and space combat but then you would also need to synchronise these two spaces which would also require a lot of resources.
As far as I know no one has ever mentioned how they are going to do that. Of course that is something that is behind the scenes and doesn't get out to the public but it's difficult to imagine nonetheless that it's going to work.

That's why this whole thing is a bag of dreams and nothing more.

Lol, so we should believe you just because you can't understand how they're doing it, despite the fact they've already demonstrated it LIVE to an actual audience, and despite the fact they have a lot of people who are probably more knowledgeable than anyone here working on it?

Wow, the level of denial here is mind blowing.

First, that "live" demo could have been 100% staged.
Secondly, the original pitch was something like up to 100 ships/clients (they never specified unfortunately) per instance.
They have already dialed back significantly on that number and the last I've heard was they were hoping to maybe reach 50 eventually.

From monthly reports and the dev updates we can see that they are currently struggling with significantly lower numbers while "hoping" to slowly increase the number of clients.

I can guarantee you that as they add more "fidelity" and gameplay systems it will not help increase that number.
Elite Dangerous, for example, has a fraction of the fidelity and 32 ships per instance. There is a reason why and it's not because Frontier Development are incompetent.

So CIG can shove their "live" demo with a handful of people right up their ass. It's really astounding how their smoke&mirrors works for people like you. God forbid any critical thinking... can I sell you some magic shrooms that will grow your penis for only $50/pc? Deal?

19. Re: Star Citizen Status Update Oct 19, 2015, 11:32 CJ_Parker

Razumen wrote on Oct 19, 2015, 11:03:
I'm not totally defending Robert's actions, but the scope of the game has changed dramatically from a rather modest title to a full fledged AAA title

No, there hasn't been any change at all. The game was always advertised as a AAA title from day numero uno. In fact it was advertised as 10 TIMES THE LEVEL OF A CURRENT AAA GAME.
I'm not making this up. From the original KS page (when the goal was to raise $2 million, not $90m+)...

10X the detail of current AAA games

Most current gen “AAA” games have around 10,000 polygons for a character and 30,000 or so for a vehicle. In Star Citizen, the characters are detailed at 100,000 polygons, the fighter at 300,000 and the Space Carrier 7 million! This allows unparalleled detail, making the visuals more immersive than has ever been achieved before.

... while the development time has not yet exceeded that of a typical AAA game either. it's not surprising that he's had a hard time keeping to deadlines when what we're going to get will be far beyond the initial plans.

It's been three years and it's not unreasonable to expect an advanced beta for a regular AAA game after three years. But since they are shooting for 10x AAA I guess we have to wait 30 years...(?)

Also it's not me who claimed that more money would help get things done faster. That claim has been made by CR repeatedly. So who you gonna blame for trusting in CR's word?
It's also not the "impatient" community's fault that CR can not manage a project for shit. If he spouts completely unrealistic dates (that even those people who only have a peripheral interest in game development can identify as bullshit) then he is bringing it all onto himself.

Seriously, how can someone with the experience of CR be so wrong? The FPS was supposed to ship early this year. CR said so in November 2014 so he must have had a plan to ship within weeks, not months. In July or August they once again said it would only be a matter of weeks, not months. It's a complete joke at this time.
We're talking about a single map in CryEngine. An engine specifically made for FPS gameplay. And they can't hack a simple single level in any projected and scheduled amount of time? Does that give you confidence in this game's leadership? If so then more power to you, Sir...

3241 Comments. 163 pages. Viewing page 41.
< Newer [ 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo