Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Daniel

Real Name Daniel   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname CJ_Parker
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2006, 23:49
Total Comments 3427 (Veteran)
User ID 24408

User comment history
< Newer [ 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Interviews
18. Re: Morning Interviews Dec 16, 2015, 05:48 CJ_Parker

BioShock is definitely overrated by some. I thought it was a good game. Not great but really good.

It could have achieved greatness if it would have had less gimmicky gameplay. The levels felt like a themepark specifically set up to put the game's "toys" to use. This unfortunately tainted the otherwise great atmosphere because the levels lacked credibility. It did not feel like a natural underwater city at all.

It also could have done with less backtracking. They artificially stretched the play time this way.

Also, the good vs. evil concept with the big daddies and little sisters was disappointingly shallow. So much wasted potential for player choice having actual consequences...

The game would have been outright mediocre if not for some great characters (especially that crazy artist), decent writing, voice acting and great visuals.
I don't necessarily prefer style over substance but style was this game's saving grace.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 15, 2015, 09:35 CJ_Parker

Spoilers? What spoilers?

YOU MEAN STUFF LIKE HOW LUKE IS GONNA DIE IN TFA???

News Comments > Battlefield Hardline Getaway Next Month
7. Re: Battlefield Hardline Getaway Next Month Dec 15, 2015, 04:47 CJ_Parker

DangerDog wrote on Dec 14, 2015, 21:17:
Must be depressing working on DLC for a game nobody will play.

http://bfhstats.com/

Haha so you think they worked on this AFTER the game was released?

Wait. Let me laugh even harder.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAAAAAAAAA

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Dec 14, 2015, 12:05 CJ_Parker

BWAHAHAHAHAHAAA bitch got zapped! Right on! What a fucking bitch, too. When they called her back she denied knowing of any accident. What an asshole. Serves her right... ruthless fuckers like her should be jailed for a long time.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Nears $100M
48. Re: Star Citizen Nears $100M Dec 13, 2015, 13:28 CJ_Parker

Nah. That can not be true. The infallible uber God of game development, the Chairman Himself, His Holiness Christ Roberts, has said that it will be out by the end of next year. You dare question Him heathen???  

News Comments > DICE Starting "The Next Battlefield"
7. Re: DICE Starting Dec 13, 2015, 13:24 CJ_Parker

They can shove their next premium pass infested rip-off garbage scamfest where the sun don't shine.  

40. Re: Star Citizen Nears $100M Dec 13, 2015, 09:26 CJ_Parker

Well, as I said the surround setup was the FIRST thing that had to go, i.e. less than two minutes after I launched the game. All of the issues I encountered and described were on a single screen 1440p with GTX 770 4GB cards in SLI.

And I get it's alpha. I do not expect a Blizzard level of polish here. What I do expect, however, is to not see the same performance, stability and graphical issues that I've seen for more than TWO YEARS now when they released the hangar module in 2013.

Call me old fashioned but my opinion is that shit should actually, you know, improve over the course of two years.
This release is the opposite in many regards. I've been able to play the space tutorial "fine" (well, lots of bugs but it ran at least) and now it's unplayable again.

This reaffirms my notion that they spit&glue every release and that they are having massive issues on the underlying architectural level. Issues they should not have if their CEO would put more emphasis on constructing a working game instead of spitting&gluing marketing material to extort more monies from people.
This abysmal 2.0 PU release made my point more than anything before it.

Oh well, I hope they at least get Squadron 42 right...

23. Re: Star Citizen Nears $100M Dec 12, 2015, 21:27 CJ_Parker

Krazy Kat wrote on Dec 12, 2015, 18:00:
Has anyone tried to watch this game on Twitch?

I have never saw a session last more than 15 minutes without crashing.

GG

Well, I fired up my space/flight sim PC tonight to check out 2.0 and let's just say it was the most underwhelming experience ever.
The sad part is that the game has actually gotten worse and much less stable for me.
Last time I played was when ArcCorp was released and I was able to play mostly fine back then but this version is beyond abysmal.

So I have a SLI and surround setup with 3x 1440p screens. The first thing that had to go because of the retarded stretching was the surround thing so I switched to a single 1440p screen.

Next I fired up the hangar and got graphical glitches galore possibly due to my SLI setup (had very similar issues with a flashing screen due to SLI way back when there was only the hangar module). The weird thing is that the issues went away after 30 seconds or so and after running around the hangar a bit. Oooookkkaaayyy...

Then goofed around the hangar for a bit and finally decided to hit the elevator to check back on ArcCorp. Took ages to load, then ran around in ArcCorp for a bit with massive lag/ghosting issues where other players would zap around and teleport all over the place.
Then got the message that the connection to the server had been lost but I could keep playing as if nothing had happened and there were also still other players moving about so the connection was definitely still there... LOLDAFUQ???

OK, so ArcCorp got boring real fast cuz nothing changed and besides it being kinda flashy and pretty there is absolutely nothing to do so I decided to hit space - basic training.
The game crashed on loading.
OK. No problem. Relaunched the game and finally loaded into the training hangar. I never got to leave it though because I had massive performance issues here. The game kept dipping from 40 - 50fps into the single digits every two seconds. No chance at all to even get to my ship, let alone launch into space.
This part actually used to work for me but they managed to fuck it up with this release.

Alright. Then let's check out the new stuff a.k.a the new 2.0 content (I saved the best for last). So I loaded into the area just fine but then the game crashed before I could ever get to my ship (in under three minutes). That's when I decided to call it a day for tonight.

What an abysmal experience at three years in. The most basic functionality is still missing, none of the modes is really stable (anymore), there is no persistence, there are no seamless transitions (using the elevator to switch modules is dumb), the options are extremely limited and pretty much everything gives you the spit&glue impression.
As with Star Wars Battlefront some mouthbreathers seem to be easily wow'ed by pretty graphics but there is zero actual substance to this garbage at this point.
Is it pretty to gawk at if and when it actually works? Fuck yes! Does it actually work? Fuck no!

It's just a rushed release probably to avoid legal action (you need to deliver something 12 months after the initial KS target, right?).

The *theoretical* potential is definitely there. But it will easily take another two/three years before this will be a polished experience as it should be (in single player... you can see and tell already that they will have to massively scale back for flawless multiplayer).
But... hey, Chris! Let's keep promising that FULL persistent universe release for the end of next year to generate more cash! It makes you look real smart and especially trustworthy, honest and like you have a clue!

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online Free Weekend
6. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Free Weekend Dec 12, 2015, 17:23 CJ_Parker

Rhett wrote on Dec 12, 2015, 17:00:
Isn't the download massive? like 80gb?

Yeah, no thanks... not in a weekend.

About half of that, dude. I got 45.6GB folder size here.

News Comments > Star Citizen Alpha 2.0
46. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 Dec 12, 2015, 08:30 CJ_Parker

BWWAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA

I hate the ship stealing

I just wanted to test a multi-crew ship with my friend, but I cannot get it to start with him, as there are always someone watching the platforms just to steal my Retaliator or Constellation the moment I open them and they are fair game for everyone in the vincinity.

I hate this. I just want to have cool multi-crew experience and instead I have to rush into the ship, start it and hope nobody else in on board. And after I fell to the floor of the Retalitator the thief who was right behind me flew away with my ship while the Olisar-control told me, that at the moment my ship is not available.... I do not even have the chance for remote self-destruct.

I love 2.0 but I really hate the people who steal other people ships and fly away with it (in Olisar! Not in any PvP-region....) and ruining other players experience. I have begun to write down those names. Because as soon as I can lock the ships those will be people I will not take with me... not with my Constellation, not with my Retaliator and not with my Carrack, Idris or so...
I think it is not funny. And for everyone who says he does not care because it is just testing and all.... - it is about actively ruining my joy with testing and the game - griefing at its best and I will remember those events and people involved accordingly.

39. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 Dec 12, 2015, 06:18 CJ_Parker

Oh yeah... the old white knight Christ Roberts cultist fanboi adage...

BUT... BUTBUTBUT... BUT... IT'S PRE-PRE-PRE-PRE-PRE-PRE-PRE-PRE-PRE-PRE-PRE-PRE-PRE-PRE-PRE-ALPHA!!!!!!

Yawn.

We are three years in now and all they have to show for it is a single system with some locations, 16 players per instance, a handful of ships (out of dozens) and a fraction (less than 10% surely) of the advertised features.

Sorry but I'm not impressed at all with their "progress". Also sorry for having some standards and expecting more but not everyone can be happy with being lied to, being deceived and then still applaud Christ Roberts for all the shit show. I do have some pride, you know.

36. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 Dec 12, 2015, 05:49 CJ_Parker

Illumin wrote on Dec 12, 2015, 01:46:
jdreyer wrote on Dec 12, 2015, 00:48:
Great White Shark wrote on Dec 11, 2015, 22:50:
Cutter wrote on Dec 11, 2015, 20:19:
That trailer looks exactly like every other one over the last few years. I don't see any real progress there. And the animations still look horrendous.

Uh literally open your fucking eyes? They are making massive strides on this, its finally starting to look like its coming together.

People like you and Derek Smart are going to look pretty dumb if this keeps moving in this direction.

They've delivered one system. Partially. Out of a promised 100. That's like me watching you run a marathon (26.2 miles) and predict you'll be able to finish because you made it to the quarter mile mark.
I have to agree with you here. If they are going with 100 systems all handmade and they want it out anytime withing the next 5 years they better step it up. Im worried its going to be 7 or 8 great systems then 90ish empty voids. Like 99.999% of Elite Dangerous's 400 billion star systems.

In the latest Around the Verse there is a Q&A with Tony Zurovec, the director of the persistent universe who talked about the PU roadmap. From the sounds of it, they are hoping to finish another system (yes ONE more) in the next few months. So we're talking months of dev time for a single system (as expected by anyone with half a brain) but yeah Christ Roberts said at Gamescom that the FULL persistent universe will be working and functioning by the end of 2016.

L to the O to the L.

At the current rate we will be lucky to leave the single digits, i.e. ten systems MAX by the end of next year. Out of a hundred. Unless they do indeed half-ass it and break more promises left, right and center by releasing 90 empty systems with asteroid belts and floating zero G turds.

35. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 Dec 12, 2015, 05:38 CJ_Parker

Flatline wrote on Dec 12, 2015, 00:07:
Parias wrote on Dec 12, 2015, 00:00:
Flatline wrote on Dec 11, 2015, 23:55:
While I need to install this and give it a go to see how it plays, and can't tell if it's fun or not yet, I did say I'd stand corrected and admit I was wrong if they pulled off the tech, and it looks like they're pulling off the tech.

So yes, mea culpa, I was mistaken about many of the things I said.

No, you're doing it wrong! You're supposed to rant endlessly about how this game is IMPOSSIBLE and a SCAM and will NEVER EVER get made, and RANDOMLY CAPITALIZE key words to DRIVE your points home!

I always said I'd rather it work than be right about my pessimism. I'm not 100% on board, but it's promising to finally have a big grip of actual gameplay to demo and get your hands on instead of the lackluster Arena Commander that's been around for so long.

Let's get some perspective here. This crap release that is missing pretty much all of the "FIIIDDDELITEEEEEHHH" that Christ Roberts keeps spouting still only has a fraction of the promised features and they are struggling hard with only 16 players per instance.
You know, a number of players that is even LESS than what they promised would be able to man a SINGLE capital ship.

So let's not get ahead of ourselves here. They have a long, long shopping list of features to implement and need to reach their 50 to 100 players/ships per instance goal.
No one ever doubted that they could pull off this half-assed shit we got here with 2.0 with a dozen players in an instance and a reduced feature set. The doubts are and were always directed at the FULL implementation of ALL stretch goal features and the originally advertised number of ships/players per instance (the original promise was closer to 100 ships per instance by the way).

News Comments > Modded Star Wars Battlefront 4K Footage
30. Re: Modded Star Wars Battlefront 4K Footage Dec 11, 2015, 13:29 CJ_Parker

Rigs wrote on Dec 11, 2015, 12:14:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Dec 11, 2015, 11:53:
...Battlefront is exactly what the Star Wars franchise needed.

Oh why? Why?! Why did you have to say that? I could have let it go had you not put that little bomb on the end... Sigh

Ok, you know what Star Wars needed, gaming-wise? An epic tie-in to the Force Awakens. Not a direct port of the movie, mind you. No, something like a prequel, something to set up this movie that we know almost nothing about. Something that is 'canon', in-universe, that explains the last 24 years between Endor and FA. Yes, we have comics, we have books...I want an RPG! Give me KOTOR in pre-third-trilogy form! That, my friend, is what Star Wars needed right now. Not some pretty bimbo flaunting her wares like some Mos Eisley reject that will give you a night or two of fun and a lifetime of regret.

^ this exactly ... or a Jedi Academy sequel which would also fit pretty well since JA was already about Luke rebuilding the Jedi order.
The decision to put the new trilogy some 20 years past Endor would have been the perfect opportunity to fill that gap with at least one really good game.

Unfortunately, history repeats itself. They also had the chance with the prequel trilogy and the gap between III and IV and what did they do? Piss it away with the FU games is what they did.
And now they're pissing the chance away with the casual garbage that is SWBF.

Money. Money. Money. I believe it is simply time to accept that there will never be a decent Star Wars game ever again. No one involved has any interest in making a good game. They all just want the moolah.

News Comments > Modded Star Wars Battlefront 4K Footage
26. Re: Modded Star Wars Battlefront 4K Footage Dec 11, 2015, 13:14 CJ_Parker

Not impressed. It looks even more artificial that way (plastic rocks, overdone bloom/HDR and so on).  

News Comments > EA's Competitive Gaming Division
12. Re: EA's Competitive Gaming Division Dec 11, 2015, 04:59 CJ_Parker

So EA is in all out copycat mode now eh? First their announcement that they want to make their own GTA, AssCreed franchise with Jade Raymond and now they want to be more like Blizzard, too.
Of course they're unable to find or build their own identity or establish their own pedigree. But I guess that is to be expected from a company that won 'Worst Company in America' twice. In a row. And being the only company so far that managed to "win" twice.

Those pathetic, unoriginal copycat clowns...

News Comments > Cyberpunk 2077 Next Year?
1. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Next Year? Dec 8, 2015, 10:09 CJ_Parker

No fucking way.  

News Comments > Oriental Empires Announced
3. Re: Oriental Empires Announced Dec 7, 2015, 11:58 CJ_Parker

WTF is wrong with "Oriental"? Did I miss the latest SJW bullshit? I mean I'd understand totally if this was called "Gook Empires" or "Nigger Empires" but "Oriental"? Dafuq???  

News Comments > Saturday Previews
5. Re: Saturday Previews Dec 6, 2015, 12:01 CJ_Parker

InBlack wrote on Dec 6, 2015, 11:00:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Dec 6, 2015, 10:34:
Also, they're planning the next two singleplayer campaigns (Squadron 42 is part of a trilogy) and will no doubt continue concepting and selling ships once the PTU is officially released.

Sq42 is all I want. Will it be possible for me to buy just the single player game without investing in ships or the PU?

Yes, dude, check here for the S42 preorder package but as you can see it still includes the PU (Star Citizen digital download). However, IIRC they confirmed at CitizenCon that there will be pure S42 packages at some point closer to the game's release. Edit: Yeah, it even says so on the product page of the preorder package so you can either buy now or wait for S42 standalone.

Answer the Call.

This package allows you to preorder Squadron 42, bundled with Star Citizen, at its all-time lowest price. This time-limited offer will end in 2016 when Squadron 42 becomes an item of its own.

Also includes everything you need to play Arena Commander today.

This comment was edited on Dec 6, 2015, 12:10.

News Comments > Elite Dangerous VR Specs
16. Re: Elite Dangerous VR Specs Dec 5, 2015, 17:06 CJ_Parker

Slick wrote on Dec 5, 2015, 14:49:
couple things:

Going from 28nm to 14nm isn't going to mean an 80-90% jump in performance in 2016. The process is only responsible for thermals.

Not really. Straight from TSMC:

TSMC's 16FF+ (FinFET Plus) technology can provide above 65 percent higher speed, around 2 times the density, or 70 percent less power than its 28HPM technology.

28nm lasted 4 years, I don't see why 14nm would be any shorter.

Ummm... au contraire, mon ami. No one else but you sees why the 28nm phenomenon should repeat. You do realize that 28nm was a very unique thing, right?
TSMC was ready to switch to 20nm in 2013 but then it turned out (as expected by other parties like IBM) that a 20nm bulk process on planar silicon was not economically viable for a high powered node.
They needed to go FinFET+ but FinFET+ was not going to be available until the shrink to 16nm. That's why they were forced to hang on to 28nm for so long.

Four years. This basically has no precedence. There is absolutely no reason (except TSMC fucking up again) why this should ever repeat again and 10nm is actually already on the horizon for volume production in 2018. nVidia Pascal will be 16nm in 2016 and nVidia Volta might very well be a 10nm part in 2018.
Going forward, things will go back to "normal" where we will be getting new nodes in two to three years intervals. Another four year stagnation is extremely unlikely now that we have made the switch from planar silicon bulk crap to FinFET+.

We're getting close to the end of the shrinkage race. I think Intel figures they can pull off 7nm by 2018-2019, but that's far from certain.

CPUs don't equal GPUs, Intel does not equal TSMC and the numbers attached to the process nodes at all of the chip makers actually have very little to do with the real nanometers or the real size of the structures on the chips. Process naming is and has been for quite a while a reference to the shrink factor of the new node compared to its predecessor.
TSMC like Intel is confident they can pull off 7nm and I'm sure they will keep trucking as new material enter the fray (i.e. graphene most likely).

3427 Comments. 172 pages. Viewing page 41.
< Newer [ 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo