Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Bend, OR 04/29

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Daniel

Real Name Daniel   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname CJ_Parker
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2006, 23:49
Total Comments 3659 (Veteran)
User ID 24408

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Steep Free Weekend
4. Re: Steep Free Weekend Mar 9, 2017, 01:27 CJ_Parker

Nnnnnnaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Quake Champions Beta Signups
26. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 8, 2017, 18:05 CJ_Parker

descender wrote on Mar 8, 2017, 17:01:
You do realize that you are supposed to forward your throwaway address to your real one... you know... so you aren't a fucking idiot? Then you turn the forward off after you get the key and.... I feel like I've gone too far.

Uuuhhh... so I forward the fucking spam that I do not want in the first place (no not even for a few months until the beta starts) to myself? Wow. What a GREAT idea.
Besides, if they have proper tracking software, you do realize that they can track forwarding, right?

Seriously guys... is today some kinda NO BRAINZ day or something? Or is this the Trump phenomenon where everyone abroad goes a li'l more dumbtard every day? With this trend y'all will be sub-amoeba in four years. Keep it up! It is at least kinda entertaining...

24. Re: Quake Champions Beta Signups Mar 8, 2017, 13:49 CJ_Parker

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 8, 2017, 13:22:
CJ_Parker wrote on Mar 8, 2017, 12:52:
LOL you can only hit 'submit' if you also check the box that you agree to be spammed by those fuckers. How about no, Bethesda? How about making it optional whether I want to be spammed to hell and back?

Did not sign up, of course. I don't want any shitty "updates on products, news and special offers". I'm not overly interested in this type of game to begin with. MOBA = yawn to the power of infinity.
Could have gave them a general throw away email address but would rather complain. typical

Yup. Awesome idea. Except they will probably send beta notifications and keys to that throwaway address which ain't much of a throwaway address if I have to monitor it for that kind of shit, right?

Could have thought shit through before posting but chose not to. Typical.

20. Re: Quake Champions Beta Signups Mar 8, 2017, 12:52 CJ_Parker

LOL you can only hit 'submit' if you also check the box that you agree to be spammed by those fuckers. How about no, Bethesda? How about making it optional whether I want to be spammed to hell and back?

Did not sign up, of course. I don't want any shitty "updates on products, news and special offers". I'm not overly interested in this type of game to begin with. MOBA = yawn to the power of infinity.

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of War Gameplay Video
11. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of War Gameplay Video Mar 8, 2017, 12:42 CJ_Parker

Looks good enough for a €9.99 GOTY sale one fine day but lol @ the retarded AI at around the 4:10 mark. That was mighty nice of them to get in line for the killing instead of putting a premature end to our hero with a quick & easy backstab.
I also agree with the heavily scripted assertion. This video probably spoiled everything that is cool in SoW in one swift move (like the dragon riding) while the rest of the game is prolly boring and repetitive as fuck.

News Comments > Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands Released
27. Re: Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands Released Mar 7, 2017, 19:31 CJ_Parker

HoSpanky wrote on Mar 7, 2017, 17:58:
Has anyone been running hardware monitors while playing this? The questionable performance may be CPU limited, which would explain a 1080 and a 980 running about the same.

wat??

Check out the Evening Tech Bits link for this article at TechPowerUp. Matches my observations with a GTX 1080 exactly. Roundabout 50fps at 1440p all maxed out to the brim.
It also shows that the game is GPU limited, of course. GTX 980 and 1080 aren't even in the same ballpark. Whoever is claiming something silly as that probably doesn't know what the fuck they are doing or how to even access the graphics options or something like that. The game scales very nicely the fatter the graphics card.

News Comments > Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands Released
10. Re: Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands Released Mar 7, 2017, 13:57 CJ_Parker

NewMaxx wrote on Mar 7, 2017, 12:58:
Performance is still pretty awful by my standards. If I can't get a consistent 60 FPS at 1080p, something is wrong. That's not even on max.

I was getting ~50fps in the beta on a GTX 1080@1440p all maxed out to the brim. It was smooth because it was a very steady 50fps. There were no huge fluctuations like in most games where you have 100+ and then 40 the next moment. It was a steady 50 all the time.
I did get the occasional stutter but only when the game spawned reinforcements so that seems to be more of an engine/game thing and nothing that could be fixed via a driver or better hardware.

I'm not sure what some people here are expecting. The game looks great and has amazing view distances so 50fps@1440p all maxed out on a GTX 1080 is what I would actually consider great performance and well balanced optimization. Watch Dawgz 2 secretly wishes it was as optimized and balanced as Wildlands.

Still, new nVidia drivers should be out any minute now. The NDA on the 1080Ti drops this Thursday with immediate availability thereafter so they will surely release a driver update within the next 48 hours.

News Comments > BattleTech Beta Delay and Release Date Outlook
10. Re: BattleTech Beta Delay and Release Date Outlook Mar 7, 2017, 13:43 CJ_Parker

This is the last (and final) Kickstarter I ever backed but these guys are great...

Greetings MechWarriors! Klimecky back again with important news about our Backer Beta. A series of unfortunate events prevents us from hitting our target release date and, as promised in our last update, we’re letting you know as far in advance as we can.

^ FUCK YES!

Finally a dev who treats their backers with a minimum of respect contrary to all those other fuckers like CIG, inXile, Obshittian or even Larian who cut features left, right, center, delay their games by years and nary a word unless there is a shitstorm demanding answers.

Big, huge, mad bro props for HBS. Take your time. As long as y'all communicate as openly and honestly with yer backers as ye do then all's fine, bitches!

News Comments > Overload Demo
1. Re: Overload Demo Mar 4, 2017, 15:28 CJ_Parker

Not bad... but only really worth playing with ye olde twist stick which I was kinda too lazy to dust off and hook up so far (still got my trusty olde Sidewinder 3D Pro on a shelf somewhere nearby). Maybe tomorrow.
Definitely a nice popcorn game to keep an eye on for one of those $4.99 sales in the future.
Download is only a li'l over 700MB by the way so it's a quick&easy trial.

News Comments > Shroud of the Avatar Free Trial
1. Re: Shroud of the Avatar Free Trial Mar 4, 2017, 14:38 CJ_Parker

What a fraud.  

News Comments > AMD Ryzen Reviews
78. Re: AMD Ryzen Reviews Mar 3, 2017, 16:56 CJ_Parker

Beamer wrote on Mar 3, 2017, 12:42:
Ryzen is arguably more future-proof, as multithreaded programs are becoming more and more common, but it will still be years before that really matters in the majority of games, long enough that I don't see being an early adopter worthwhile.

That's right and let's also consider that multithreaded programming is extremely complex. It requires programmers with the required skill set and also considerable budget (both monetary and time) investments. Publishers will only fund this if it also aids the console versions and if it is absolutely necessary. They won't fund this for a decent PC port. We can't even have customizable controls in many PC games so forget about anything fancy like better multicore support.

Then there is also the chipset limitations of the current gen. X370 isn't a very convincing chipset and it's certainly not one to last several years. PCIe 4.0 is already on the horizon and there is an ever growing demand for PCIe lanes due to ultra fast m.2 SSDs etc.
X370 is already kinda choked in that regard and definitely not "future-proof".

If anyone really needs the multicore capabilities of Ryzen right now, sure go ahead and get one, but it would be sort of foolish to believe that it will last for years or be "future-proof". There'll be much faster GPUs coming up in the next couple of years and you're going to want PCIe 4.0 plus shitloads of lanes to properly accommodate your (hopefully soon 10+) GBit LAN, your fast SSDs, your USB 3.1 etc. etc.

News Comments > Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven Announced
2. Re: Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven Announced Mar 2, 2017, 20:54 CJ_Parker

Are they retarded? Why use the same subtitle as M&M VI?  

54. Re: AMD Ryzen Reviews Mar 2, 2017, 19:11 CJ_Parker

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Mar 2, 2017, 18:52:
I'm confused by all these replies.. some saying its good, some saying intel still wins.

Why don'tcha check out some of the 489,634,219 reviews that were published today?

What's the actual story from just a video game stand point (ignore cost difference)? Intel is still king?

Yeah. The gist of it is that Intel still rulez supreme in gaming. Kaby i7-7700K remains king.

Ryzen is showing respectable results in gaming but it ain't quite up there (yet). It would also be wise to remain cautious until the BIOS and memory controller issues have been fully uncovered. Right now if you want to get the max out of Ryzen you need to buy a really nice juicy board like the Asus Crosshair for Ryzen to reach its max boost frequencies and for the best DDR4 support. Ryzen performs way worse on some other (cheaper) boards.
Kaby i7-7700K runs just fine on pretty much any old Z270 board so Ryzen does not have a cost advantage at all. The fastest Ryzen is $550 plus $250 for the Asus Crosshair vs. $350 for i7-7700K plus $170 for a nice Z270 mobo = Intel is by far the better choice for gaming both from a cost as well as a performance perspective.

Ryzen is a great CPU for multithreaded apps though. If you primarily need a workstation CPU then it is absolutely worth considering but I'd still wait until the full extent and root cause of those memory issues and occasionally weird performance behavior is fully understood. Something is in the water there and it smells fishy, too...

42. Re: AMD Ryzen Reviews Mar 2, 2017, 16:36 CJ_Parker

NewMaxx wrote on Mar 2, 2017, 14:57:
Still, Ryzen is the best for a budget creator...

Dude, why hold back? Just tell it like it is. What you really mean is an AMD PEASANT!

News Comments > Mass Effect Andromeda Multiplayer Beta Cancelled
5. Re: Mass Effect Andromeda Multiplayer Beta Cancelled Mar 2, 2017, 10:43 CJ_Parker

It's probably just buggy and laggy as fuck as usual for EA multiplayer titles. If they were afraid of bad publicity due to banal content then they would probably rather cancel the sp demo, right?
Nah. They are probably just afraid that their servers won't manage the onslaught of a million fanbois and their glorious game launch will be drowned out in a million "waaaaahhhhh mommeheeeehhhh" cries.

4. Re: AMD Ryzen Reviews Mar 2, 2017, 10:28 CJ_Parker

Darks wrote on Mar 2, 2017, 10:09:
And that's why myself and most other gamers stick with what works. Intel!!

Thanks AMD for at least keeping Intel Honest, that's what really counts and I do hope they make a good comeback.

Well said. Congrats to everyone who is "playing" multithreaded apps. Ryzen is a very serious competitor if you are into that.
But for gaming there is zero reason to make a switch to this gen of Ryzen.

It seems to require some more time in the oven as well. I've read a review where the Asus board was +10% faster than the MSI due to some BIOS shenanigans. And DDR4-RAM support i.e. especially of the faster OC modules like DDR4-3000+ appears to be wonky to nonexistent.

But it seems like AMD is on the right track. Maybe with a bit more time and tuning they can also turn Ryzen into a viable gaming platform.
I own a 4790K and have absolutely no need to upgrade (it's only 10% slower than a 7700K on average) but I'm looking forward to the duel between 2nd gen Ryzen and Intel 10nm Cannonlake next year.

News Comments > NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti This Month
51. Re: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti This Month Mar 1, 2017, 19:05 CJ_Parker

VaranDragon wrote on Mar 1, 2017, 16:04:
ForgedReality wrote on Mar 1, 2017, 15:35:

A lot of this is down to the quality of the panel. Cheaper monitors will have lower picture quality. The technology used in the panel will have an impact as well. IPS is okay for speed, but image quality suffers, especially at angles, when compared to something like VA. It's not all about the resolution and PPI. You're also asking for trouble using a scaled resolution, as a lot of monitors have trouble with that. So, 2k on a 4k display might look like shit compared to even 1080p on the same display, as that translation is a little more 1:1, but still not perfect.

I think you got your terms mixed-up there. IPS has better image quality, VA has higher refresh rate.

I have had numerous IPS and VA panels over the years and they have their pros and cons.

Contrary to what you are saying VA definitely has better image quality. It has better contrast (black is black) and better colors.
IPS displays very often times suffer from IPS glow, ghosting, backlight bleeding and comparatively poor contrast and colors but they usually have better response times in ms (less latency).

Also, while it is true that there are a handful of 200Hz VA displays, I'd say that the difference between 144Hz/165Hz IPS and 200Hz VA is marketing gimmickry at best and the higher refresh rates do not eliminate the latency advantage of IPS, of course.

Personally, I would not touch any of the current 144Hz IPS displays with a 10 foot pole. They all come with the same super-shitty panels from AU Optronics with dead pixels, dust particle enclosures and massive backlight bleeding. The pertinent forums and Amazon reviews are full of complaints over the craptastic quality of these displays.
It's a real shame, too, because I'd really like a decent 144Hz screen but Asus and Acer can shove their overpriced garbage AU panel crap where the sun don't shine.

News Comments > NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti This Month
18. Re: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti This Month Mar 1, 2017, 12:25 CJ_Parker

Leper wrote on Mar 1, 2017, 12:16:
ForgedReality wrote on Mar 1, 2017, 10:29:
I really wish they had skipped this and just jumped into the overdue Volta. I've been sitting on my 3gb GTX580 forever, waiting for a card capable of 4k@60 max settings. This won't be it still. Where the fuck is Volta? >=(

If I were them I'd be sitting on it while milking the more profitable current generation for as long as possible. Anyways, even a Volta card isn't going to be able to achieve 4k@60 max settings for every game since they'll always be games that push the envelope.

That's right. If you look at something like Watch Dawgz 2, well, you don't need a crystal ball to tell that this is a game that will not run at 60fps at 4K fully maxed out on Volta either.
That's why 4K still really doesn't make much sense on regular desktop monitors (except for the LCD makers trying to sell this hyped up TNBG).
TV and large diagonals are a different story but as long as you are in the 27" to 32" territory then 1440p is just as fine looking and it performs leagues better, of course.

News Comments > etc.
5. Re: etc. Mar 1, 2017, 12:19 CJ_Parker

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 1, 2017, 09:42:
What 3 things don't belong in the same sentence.

Analysis, Youtube and In-Depth

The "look" part was right.

I'd expand this to five things. Shtar Shitizen and net code also don't belong in the same sentence. The garbage that the retarded code monkeys at CIG keep burping up can hardly be called "code" in the first place.

News Comments > Mass Effect Andromeda Gameplay Video
3. Re: Mass Effect Andromeda Gameplay Video Mar 1, 2017, 12:13 CJ_Parker

I can't stand the totally unrealistic, mega-artificial, high gloss look of Frostshite. It just doesn't look like anything in a "real" world or setting. Everything looks super-fake and plastic. It's not "visceral" at all or really giving you a sense of actually being "there". This is exacerbated by the fact that there is zero particle effects. Where are the little swirls of dust when the character lands on the rocky surfaces? Or generally a bit of haze in the air or some fog or anything? Everything just looks sterile, clean and unreal.

DICE need to fucking rewrite this piece of shit to allow more realistic looking games. Get rid of the whole looking at the world through a high gloss pr0n camera lens feeling. It sucking fucks.

3659 Comments. 183 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo