Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Duffy

Real Name Duffy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname CJ_Parker
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2006, 23:49
Total Comments 4359 (Master)
User ID 24408

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > DARK SOULS: REMASTERED Released
1. Re: DARK SOULS: REMASTERED Released May 24, 2018, 21:30 CJ_Parker

Full boycott is now in effect on any games these guys are involved with.

It is lame as fuck that you aren't getting this as a free upgrade as an existing Steam owner of DS Prepare to Die.

It would have been mildly less lame if they would have asked a moderate, symbolic $4.99 fee.

But the $19.99 they are asking for what is basically a patch is outrageous. Fuck off.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Spring Cleaning Event
1. Re: Steam Spring Cleaning Event May 24, 2018, 21:11 CJ_Parker

Hahaha so did Valve have a couple of petabytes of unused traffic lying around somewhere or what?

I mean, I don't care (much) since I have broadband with no traffic limits, and to save time, I have chosen to download relatively small games to fulfill the various tasks but for the first task (speed cleaning) Steam offered me only Dead by Daylight and Cities: Skylines as qualifying games.
So I downloaded DbD only to start it for two seconds to complete the assignment and then deleted it again. What a waste of traffic.

Also, as a day 1 Steam account holder, the "Blast from the Past" assignment was quite funny since it made me install the original Counter-Strike.
It's not quite as popular anymore as back in the day. There were exactly two active public servers. One was constantly full and the other had four players. The rest of the servers was empty or locked.

Oh well, I did a quick tour of cs_italy which brought back the memories of thousands of kills and deaths at the various choke points. Blast from the past indeed...

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers
4. Re: New GeForce Drivers May 24, 2018, 19:03 CJ_Parker

necrosis wrote on May 24, 2018, 18:40:
CJ_Parker wrote on May 24, 2018, 18:07:
Bullshit driver.

The old manual install method where you extract everything and then only keep the essential folders for a bloat-free (and especially telemetry-free) install, no longer works.

So, you probably have to full install and then get rid of the telemetry crap post-installation but I'm not gonna bother. Skipping this piece of shit driver and hoping the next driver will allow manual installs again just like they used to work for ages up until now.
You are obviously high.

You can unpack the EXE with 7-zip. Also the installer lets you check and uncheck what you want like it has for years.

I'm not high and I know/knew what I was doing for years when I manually installed via extracting with 7zip.

Anyway, it worked now after redownloading the driver. My guess is they replaced the faulty first release with a new file during the day because many people with GFE were also experiencing all sorts of problems.

With the newly downloaded file the setup worked now BUT you definitely need to keep more folders than before. Until the version before this driver it was enough to just have Display.Driver, NVI2 and PhysX.
Now you need Display.Driver, NVI2, PhysX and the GeForce experience folders (you can still deselect GFE during the setup later).

The setup is also a little different now since, as an additional step, it now asks you whether to install just the driver or the driver and GFE before offering up the custom install option.

So, they definitely changed quite a lot of shit since the last version where you definitely did NOT need to have the GFE folders present and they probably released a fucked up exe first earlier in the day because I received real, tangible error messages from their fucked up crapshit installer.

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers
2. Re: New GeForce Drivers May 24, 2018, 18:07 CJ_Parker

Bullshit driver.

The old manual install method where you extract everything and then only keep the essential folders for a bloat-free (and especially telemetry-free) install, no longer works.

So, you probably have to full install and then get rid of the telemetry crap post-installation but I'm not gonna bother. Skipping this piece of shit driver and hoping the next driver will allow manual installs again just like they used to work for ages up until now.

News Comments > EA Acquires GameFly's Cloud
7. Re: EA Acquires GameFly's Cloud May 23, 2018, 21:21 CJ_Parker

Steam, uPlay, Origin, Battle.net etc. etc. are all video game rental shops. The only (big) digital download platform that allows you to assume ownership of your games is GOG.

Consoles still get much more physical business compared to PCs (and they don't just get a Steam "rental" key in the box but the actual game) so there are many more true game owners instead of just renters among the console players.

News Comments > Unreal Turns 20 - Get Unreal Gold for Free
48. Re: Unreal Turns 20 - Get Unreal Gold for Free May 23, 2018, 13:29 CJ_Parker

Beamer wrote on May 23, 2018, 11:04:
Steele Johnson wrote on May 23, 2018, 10:23:
When games were good

I will take nearly any game today over Unreal and even Half Life.
And don't forget we're picking two legendary games from then, not even the awful rifraff like Chasm: The Rift. If we're doing that today, The Witcher 3 is better than any game from 1998. RDR is better than any game from 1998.

I agree. The Unreal kind of FPS was always a little too simple for me. The corridor run & gun usually got boring real quick.
I bought games like Unreal mostly for the technical qualities. It was amazing to experience the leaps in 3D graphics. Games like Unreal were nice tech demos but I never finished them (IIRC).

Half-Life was the first step in the right direction of a more story-driven experience, then another huge step with Deus Ex and nowadays most shooters luckily have a lot more to offer than just kaboom.

I like open world, I like the skills and perks we get in modern FPS games. Progression is more fun that way.

And in terms of technical advancements, they're not just fluff but they do contribute to gameplay directly in so far as richer, more detailed environments with lots of objects naturally increase the fidelity of the gameplay (more cover options, more vertical gameplay etc.).

I, for one, definitely do not wish for a revival of this super-simple run & gun corridor shooter style. I much prefer the variety of styles and actual stories we are getting in most modern shooters.
There are modern stinkers, of course, but it was the same back then, maybe even worse because the budgets and risks were much lower. We had some real garbage back then.

Maybe the best example for a positive evolution in the genre would be the Wolfenstein franchise. The original Wolf 3D was as awesome back in its day as was RtCW some 15 years ago and now TNO, TOB and TNC.
However, as awesome as Wolf 3D was in its day, I would never want original Wolfenstein gameplay back though.

News Comments > Valve's Unannounced Top Secret Games
28. Re: Valve's Unannounced Top Secret Games May 22, 2018, 16:17 CJ_Parker

jdreyer wrote on May 22, 2018, 14:08:
Valve's Unannounced Top Secret Games

Just had a terrible thought:

Half-Live: Battle Royale

You mean you had a REALISTIC thought?

I mean, seriously, does anyone really believe a new HL would even have a single player campaign? Like really really?

LLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLL

13. Re: Valve's Unannounced Top Secret Games May 22, 2018, 12:29 CJ_Parker

Prez wrote on May 22, 2018, 12:21:
Anything with a '3' after the title would be a landmark event for Valve. If anything, it would be DOTA 3 though...

Just to spite everyone they are probably not gonna call it DOTA 3 but rename it to "Ancients on the Defense" or something retarded like that.

8. Re: Valve's Unannounced Top Secret Games May 22, 2018, 11:50 CJ_Parker

I'm not expecting anything from Valve but the usual multiplayer-focused casual garbage which they've done for the past one and a half decades. Zero fuxx given.  

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale May 21, 2018, 20:20 CJ_Parker

Bought the bundle but there is no way in hell I am ever going to add a game with that retard's name to my unsoiled Steam library. Gotta have some standards and shit...

Anyway, if anyone has lower standards here is the key:

DY26K-Q2Z0L-5B8G6

First come, first serve obviously. "Enjoy!" (uuughhhh)

News Comments > Tencent and Grinding Gear
10. Re: Tencent and Grinding Gears May 21, 2018, 12:54 CJ_Parker

Most of Tencent's activities have the sole purpose of bringing games to the Chinese market. There is nothing to worry about (yet). Tencent enables the publishers to get access to the Chinese market and Tencent get a piece of the cake in return. There is no need for gloom & doom.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
22. Re: Steam Top 10 May 21, 2018, 02:14 CJ_Parker

Jerykk wrote on May 21, 2018, 00:35:
You can't set the difficulty to Path of the Damned mid-game. You can only set it lower. I'm playing on Veteran, I want to make the game harder and the next highest difficulty is Path of the Damned, so I effectively can't change the difficulty.

Ah OK, yes, that is correct for PotD. You can only switch as you like mid-game between Story, Relaxed, Classic and Veteran with the caveat that the new difficulty will always only apply to maps not yet visited.

Oh well, I have shelved the game for now and will return to it once all the patches and the DLC is out next winter.

I really hope that the seemingly poor sales won't put an early end to support (like Tyranny which seems to have been abandoned in spite of some serious unfixed issues from what I have read). It would be a shame if this gem would remain unpolished.

19. Re: Steam Top 10 May 20, 2018, 23:05 CJ_Parker

Jerykk wrote on May 20, 2018, 22:26:
Also, once you choose a difficulty at the start of the game, you can't change it so I'm stuck with a pretty laid back experience.

This is not quite true. You can change the difficulty mid-game at any time BUT the change will only apply to maps you have not been to yet.
When you switch difficulty, you get a message that says, and I quote... 'Difficulty change will take effect on any maps you have not yet visited'.

Anyway, huge difficulty level rework is on the way but it will take some time. The devs are very aware that the game is too easy. Priority is bug-fixing though. Balance passes will follow up later. This Twitch stream with Josh Sawyer is pretty informative wrt to post-release plans.

16. Re: Steam Top 10 May 20, 2018, 21:43 CJ_Parker

PHJF wrote on May 20, 2018, 17:11:
I was gonna wait for it to get cheaper, but it's already $37.50 on GMG with a promo code... so I'll get Pillars 2 now.

It's even cheaper (well, marginally) on Fanatical at least for the next 13 hours or so since it is today's 'Star Deal'.

6. Re: Steam Top 10 May 20, 2018, 15:47 CJ_Parker

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on May 20, 2018, 15:29:
It is definitely selling better on Gog than Steam though. I think the single player RPG crowd is more interested in Gog's platform these days... I know I definitely am.(for single player!)

Sorry, but as much as I would like to believe that, it is wishful thinking. Deadfire may rank higher on GOG's charts because it is -for GOG- relatively generating more revenue on GOG but GOG per se is generally moving a MUCH lower volume of games at much lower average selling prices (due to the "good old" games), of course. That's why Deadfire has it easier on GOG to be in the charts. It has much less competition.

The typical ratio of games released on both platforms is usually at least 80% - 90% in favor of Steam. Or, even worse, as Brian Fargo put it by saying that TToN sales outside of Steam were "negligible".

We should talk about sales. Everyone can look them up for Steam. It's currently sitting around 120,000. Can you tell us how many copies were sold from other distribution sources?

Brian: Negligible.

1. Re: Steam Top 10 May 20, 2018, 14:28 CJ_Parker

Oh man. As much as I like to joke about "Obshittian" it is kind of painful to see no sign of Deadfire anymore in the second week after its release .

Sure, they've brought this upon themselves with a history of buggy and shitty releases so I'm hoping they will get a second, third... sales push once the patches and DLCs are out.

Deadfire is a decent game at its core (89 MC average does not lie in this case) and it deserves to do much better than some lame, old, dumb MP garbage like R6 Siege which is a disgrace to its once glorious franchise.

News Comments > Imperator: Rome Announced
6. Re: Imperator: Rome Announced May 20, 2018, 12:38 CJ_Parker

jdreyer wrote on May 19, 2018, 19:22:
CJ_Parker wrote on May 19, 2018, 18:58:
Rome eh? So I guess that means it will get 753 DLCs then.
No, no, NO! It will have LXXXVIII DLCs.

No, no, no, no, no... everything Rome is always 753 so it will have DCCLIII DLCs!

News Comments > Age of Wonders: Planetfall Announced
6. Re: Age of Wonders: Planetfall Announced May 19, 2018, 19:01 CJ_Parker

SciFi setting is perfect for DLC'o'rama piecemeal deliveries, of course. They can just keep adding planet after planet until the udders are dry.  

News Comments > Imperator: Rome Announced
4. Re: Imperator: Rome Announced May 19, 2018, 18:58 CJ_Parker

Rome eh? So I guess that means it will get 753 DLCs then.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 19, 2018, 11:47 CJ_Parker

HoSpanky wrote on May 18, 2018, 13:53:
The 1180 wonít matter if it doesnít come out with enough stock that miners donít make them impossible to get. Iíve got a couple friends who want to get into pc gaming but not at the stupid prices the high end gear still commands.

Rumor has it that the 1180 is going to be more expensive than the 1080 at launch which will make it less attractive for miners.
The pro miners/farms have already shifted towards buying more efficient special ASICs for mining instead of GPUs which is why the prices for GPUs have almost come back to normal in the last few weeks.

It is fairly unlikely that the 1180 will be in high demand by miners but it will probably be an expensive card regardless. It will most likely launch north of the 1080s $699 MSRP so $749(?) or $799(?)... we'll see.

FE garbage is supposed to ship in July and the real deal, i.e. board partner cards with decent custom coolers are supposed to follow up August/September.

So if you don't want to pay an early adopter idiot premium then it's best to wait until October/November and buy a decent custom card.

BTW, with GPU prices almost back to normal, I think the bigger problem right now for new PC builds lies in the RAM prices. Sheesh. That shit has gotten seriously expensive and there is no turnaround in sight.

4359 Comments. 218 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo