Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Daniel

Real Name Daniel   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname CJ_Parker
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2006, 23:49
Total Comments 3427 (Veteran)
User ID 24408

User comment history
< Newer [ 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Winter Sale
6. Re: Fallout 4?! Dec 22, 2015, 13:54 CJ_Parker

Steam is a piece of shit. Same shit every time there is a holiday sale. This kind of performance is abysmal for a billion dollar corp. Look at Amazon. They can have sales and keep their site usable. WTF are Valve doing except resting on their fat saturated dumb asses?? Goddammit!  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers
10. Re: New GeForce Drivers Dec 22, 2015, 10:06 CJ_Parker

Dagnamit wrote on Dec 22, 2015, 09:38:
Shineyguy wrote on Dec 22, 2015, 09:28:
Can't wait for Pascal. I have SLI'd GTX 780s (previously had SLI GTX 470).

I want to get rid of my SLI setup and get monster Pascal. Hopefully GP100/GP110 releases out of the gate, and not GP104/GP114 as the top sku. If that's the case I'm likely waiting until near the end of the year for full GP100/GP110.

They haven't released the full-fat chip first for years now, because the mid-range proved to be so good. They're not changing that structure, because they get to charge a premium to enthusiasts two times in a generation.

The main reason they did not release the fat chip first in recent years was that we had no process shrink for a long time. With 28nm it made a lot of economic sense for nVidia (and AMD) to rip off people by releasing the mid range at high end prices but that will not repeat again.

With the shift to 16nm FinFET+ and an at first immature production node with relatively low yields and high costs, they will not mass-produce mid range stuff from the start and thus effectively throw away a lot of expensive wafers.

Instead they will go back to what they have always done when a new process (shrink) was introduced which is release from the top down.
GP100 will likely go first and be very expensive (low yields, early adopter premium etc.) while they continue optimizing the process for the mid range that will follow a few months later.

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Documentary
9. Re: Pillars of Eternity Documentary Dec 22, 2015, 08:21 CJ_Parker

Well $.99 to watch them produce buggy garbage is a bit steep...  

News Comments > Division Leaked Alpha Footage
18. Re: Division Leaked Alpha Footage Dec 21, 2015, 16:14 CJ_Parker

djinn wrote on Dec 21, 2015, 16:08:
Fion wrote on Dec 21, 2015, 15:44:
...and having thigh-high walls/sandbags/etc in the middle of a street plainly announcing an upcoming battle utterly rips away my immersion.

This pretty much sums up Mass Effect 2 and 3 for me. Was the first as obvious as it's sequels? It's been too long.

Even more obvious because there was much less detail in the world. They did not even attempt to conceal the barriers in ME1. Generally speaking: The first part has aged extremely bad and there is a VERY noticeable drop in quality between 2 and 1.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
5. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 20, 2015, 16:55 CJ_Parker

Wallshadows wrote on Dec 20, 2015, 16:28:
I actually just found out about the GMG sale but it would be around $12 so either way, great deal!

Yes definitely and the nice thing is that the -20% off voucher works with it, too, so for me in Euroland it checked out at €8.40 .

News Comments > Steam Top 10
3. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 20, 2015, 16:08 CJ_Parker

Wallshadows wrote on Dec 20, 2015, 15:13:
Picked up Shadow of Morder GOTY for $10 at G2A

No need to go the relatively unsafe G2A route. The game is also available for €10.49 (probably the same in $) on GreenManGaming (they have a winter sale going and a best of 2015 sale).

News Comments > Mafia 3 Footage
1. Re: Mafia 3 Footage Dec 19, 2015, 13:19 CJ_Parker

meh@consolized cover shooter  

News Comments > French Steam Lawsuit
31. Re: French Steam Lawsuit Dec 19, 2015, 12:31 CJ_Parker

NKD wrote on Dec 19, 2015, 05:36:
CJ_Parker wrote on Dec 18, 2015, 20:20:

First, many people are still hoarders and collectors so -no- not everyone will use the used game market. There will still be many people who will buy games to keep them.

I already addressed that. If you're a collector, buy it at release to play it when its new, then sell it, then rebuy later when the "used market" saturates and it becomes nearly free due to good supply and zero demand. The only thing your library would be missing is very recent games.

There is no reason anyone would buy "New" over "Used" when the products are identical but one is significantly cheaper. The only people who buy new would be very impatient people who want to play on launch. By week 2, the used market should be sufficiently stocked for most games to keep everyone in used copies for life.

Well, there are and always will be enough sheeple to fleece. Just look around here where everyone and their dawg is always tripping over themselves to pick up the latest AAA garbage and how everyone MUST have the game five minutes before the other guy to be the cooler kid.

There must still be more than enough new game release day/preorder buyers or the industry would already be in deep shit. Not everyone is a cheapskate and waiting for sales. And not everyone would wait for used game sales, especially if the discount is rather minimal due to the supply and demand thing I mentioned before (small number of used game sellers vs. high demand from buyers = inflated used game prices barely below full price ... at least for popular new releases).

20. Re: French Steam Lawsuit Dec 18, 2015, 20:20 CJ_Parker

HoSpanky wrote on Dec 18, 2015, 18:07:
NKD, I will honestly say I've never thought about the reselling of games that way, and I doubt the people who are fighting for it think about it that way either.

I would rather NOT be able to resell my digital content than see the scenario you've put down there, which is EXACTLY what *would* happen.

No it would not happen that way. He has put some decent effort into it but his reasoning is still flawed.

First, many people are still hoarders and collectors so -no- not everyone will use the used game market. There will still be many people who will buy games to keep them.

Secondly, supply and demand. It is impossible that a relatively small number of copies will circulate between millions of people. This would drive or keep the prices up so that many people would just buy new instead of being ripped off by a random n00b.

Thirdly, I don't know about a 30% cut but there would definitely be a way for Valve and the publishers/developers to earn a few % from each used game sale (transaction). They *might* even end up making more money that way than from regular sales because the sheer number of transactions might more than make up for the people you lose to the used market.

Eventually, I believe that the used market can not be much bigger than the market of people waiting for sales or using key sites. It's the cheapskate segment and it will always be limited.

13. Re: French Steam Lawsuit Dec 18, 2015, 16:51 CJ_Parker

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 18, 2015, 12:39:
Personally, I would be more happy if steam would stop FUCKING BREAKING MY STREAMING and CONTROLLER

If it ain't working next year I am suing their asses. They sold me a product (Steamlink + Controller) that worked flawlessly when I got it both, and now, a few months later I can't stream shit without lagspikes that they introduced dec 14 (yes, the official non beta update) and I can't use the controllers full feature set thanks to their retarded developers breaking templates in dec 16 and dec 17 (where they claimed to fix it, but they made it FAR worse) beta patch

Whats the fucking point of a streaming solution that you can't use to stream because every patch steam puts out makes it run fucking WORSE. (remember, it worked flawlessly before!)

I am pretty close to throwing this shit away. Not the controller mind you, it's decent wired to a PC, but streaming doesn't work currently, neither does the controller when streaming since you can't assign templates to anything. YAY, just when I have a vacation. If this is broken through to new year I am going mental on their asses. I have a sword, and I know how to find their HQ

You see I could have told you all that beforehand and streaming is retarded anyway so why even bother? You could have saved yourself a lot of trouble if you would simply listen to wise, balanced and intelligent people like me but noooo... you n00b had to go and buy the latest hyped garbage, of course. Well, then... this is what you get for not listening to wise old uncle CJ!

As for our frog munching bros and their revolution for more liberté, égalité et fraternité in the mighty empire of Steam, welp, go get 'em boys! Valve definitely deserves some ass-spanking for their anti-consumer stranglehold bullshit. Bon courage, mon amis!

News Comments > Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen Date, Specs
20. Re: Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen Date, Specs Dec 18, 2015, 08:23 CJ_Parker

HoSpanky wrote on Dec 18, 2015, 07:44:
Glad to see MOST of you are excited. I don't think Cutter or CJ have anything they like at all anymore, so whatever.

Oh I do like the occasional game but not for $60, not for $30 and not even for $20 unless it is really, really, really special.
For normal games and especially console ports like this one I'm not paying more than $9.99 for digital rent - the sweet spot is $4.99.
Give me a DRM-free (disc check max) retail copy or a GOG version so I can actually own the game and I might consider spending more but I'm not renting console ports for outrageous prices. Fuck that.

News Comments > Star Citizen Procedurally Generated Planets
59. Re: Star Citizen Procedurally Generated Planets Dec 17, 2015, 21:46 CJ_Parker

Razumen wrote on Dec 17, 2015, 16:27:
Also, I believe he's said Squadron 42 will be out by 2016, afaik they're being more cautious now about the release date for the persistent universe.

Nope. Just a few weeks back at Gamescom in August Chris Roberts said that the FULL persistent universe will be "working and functioning" by the end of 2016.

So thanks a lot for the opportunity to post my favorite "Lies from Christ Roberts Superstar" video. You can listen to his exact words right here.

Full PU, i.e. 100 star systems, everything. Working and functioning by the end of 2016.

OK, Chris... only 99.5 star systems to go and a few dozen complex gameplay systems. Sure. No problem. You guys have been tripping these past three years. Speedy Gonzales is chicken shit compared to you guys. You'll probably pull this off even if everyone only works half-time from now on. Of course. Go for it.

News Comments > Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen Date, Specs
10. Re: Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen Date, Specs Dec 17, 2015, 21:35 CJ_Parker

jacobvandy wrote on Dec 17, 2015, 17:29:
AND it's only $30! No excuse not to pick this up, it's one of the best games of recent memory.

I can easily find plenty of excuses to pick this up for $9.99 max. The no. 1 reason being that there will probably be no DRM free version, right? If I can only rent the game via Steam instead of own it via GOG or retail then they are not getting more than a tenner. Those fuckers.

41. Re: Star Citizen Procedurally Generated Planets Dec 17, 2015, 16:13 CJ_Parker

Razumen wrote on Dec 17, 2015, 14:21:
CJ_Parker wrote on Dec 17, 2015, 13:37:
Wolfox wrote on Dec 17, 2015, 13:24:
Maniac wrote on Dec 17, 2015, 12:10:
Wolfox wrote on Dec 17, 2015, 11:18:
Oh look, Star Citizen now has a feature that's been implemented years ago in Evochron, a game with a total budget probably around 0.1% of the Star Citizen budget?

Yeah, that's mighty impressive.

I first saw seamless planetary landings in Elite 2, their budget was even smaller. Your point is?

My point is that what they showed is not impressive at all to me, mostly because people with a much smaller budget have already done it (arguably) better. One could argue that Star Citizen's procedural generation *looks* better, but in this particular case I can't even go there - at least not yet.

It doesn't look better at all. Note how blurry and shitty and low-res everything starts to look the further they zoom out and there is a reason why it goes black which is to hide the extreme shittiness of it all.
And yeah you can find dozens of similar videos on YouTube like this one for example. It's not really impressive at all until they have an actual game and people can actually fly into and out of space ports like that. You know, more than one guy.
Wake me up when they've made this work within the context of the greater game and where this actually works out being fun for people and trolls don't camp the landing platforms, ram people on approach and all the obstacles that come with MMO gaming.

We're years away from seeing any of this in the game. The only reason they haphazardly slapped this together was definitely just to piss all over the E:D Horizons parade. The timing is too obvious and it's now also obvious that Christ Roberts lied yet again when he said they have a lot of respect for Frontier and Elite Dangerous.

This has been a milestone for awhile now, it has nothing to do with Elite. Everything you've said is just painting your own words over factual information.

They already DO have a game out with more than one person, with spaceports, etc. Granted, it's buggy, but it's still in alpha obviously.

Of course, critics (like you) will always keep moving their goalposts back in a ever increasingly desperate attempt to keep their inane nitpicking relevant.

Wrong, dude. I want this shit to succeed cuz I'm in it at physical CE level plus a starter ship Mustang package. Lotsa dough. Day 1 account, golden ticket, the whole nine yards.

However, I will keep giving CIG shit as long as they just show flashy trailers with zero substance to the easy-to-impress mouthbreathers with big wallets instead of actually delivering a playable game.

We are literally lightyears away from the game they pitched and that's been expanded like mad via the stretch goals. Yet their retarded lying shitbag CEO says it will be done by the end of 2016.

You know, you can delay a game all you like. Fine with me. But I'm not that willing to accept outright lies. If you are easily impressed and enjoy being lied to, well, more power to you. Enjoy your flashy trailers of shit that might never make it to the game (in that form) and make sure to open that wallet some more. Chris will love you for it and include you in his prayers every night before banging Sandi. Promise.

31. Re: Star Citizen Procedurally Generated Planets Dec 17, 2015, 13:37 CJ_Parker

Wolfox wrote on Dec 17, 2015, 13:24:
Maniac wrote on Dec 17, 2015, 12:10:
Wolfox wrote on Dec 17, 2015, 11:18:
Oh look, Star Citizen now has a feature that's been implemented years ago in Evochron, a game with a total budget probably around 0.1% of the Star Citizen budget?

Yeah, that's mighty impressive.

I first saw seamless planetary landings in Elite 2, their budget was even smaller. Your point is?

My point is that what they showed is not impressive at all to me, mostly because people with a much smaller budget have already done it (arguably) better. One could argue that Star Citizen's procedural generation *looks* better, but in this particular case I can't even go there - at least not yet.

It doesn't look better at all. Note how blurry and shitty and low-res everything starts to look the further they zoom out and there is a reason why it goes black which is to hide the extreme shittiness of it all.
And yeah you can find dozens of similar videos on YouTube like this one for example. It's not really impressive at all until they have an actual game and people can actually fly into and out of space ports like that. You know, more than one guy.
Wake me up when they've made this work within the context of the greater game and where this actually works out being fun for people and trolls don't camp the landing platforms, ram people on approach and all the obstacles that come with MMO gaming.

We're years away from seeing any of this in the game. The only reason they haphazardly slapped this together was definitely just to piss all over the E:D Horizons parade. The timing is too obvious and it's now also obvious that Christ Roberts lied yet again when he said they have a lot of respect for Frontier and Elite Dangerous.

28. Re: Star Citizen Procedurally Generated Planets Dec 17, 2015, 13:21 CJ_Parker

Very classy of CIG to shit all over the E:D Horizons release with this half-baked "me too" crap that won't be in the game before 2020 anyway.  

News Comments > Elite Dangerous: Horizons Early Access
36. Re: Elite Dangerous: Horizons Early Access Dec 16, 2015, 10:32 CJ_Parker

$60 is a fair new game price for Horizons for newcomers since it naturally includes the whole base game and galaxy but Frontier should definitely work on a system where they check whether you own the game and then offer an expansion price ($30 max) for people who do own it. Same for all future expansions, too. And then they need to make the whole check work on their own store as well as Steam, of course.

This comment was edited on Dec 16, 2015, 10:38.

News Comments > GeForce Experience Beta Adds Features
4. Re: GeForce Experience Beta Adds Features Dec 16, 2015, 10:20 CJ_Parker

Ozmodan wrote on Dec 16, 2015, 08:59:
This software is so broken. Won't even download graphics drivers on windows 10. I just ignore it now.

GFE has been working flawless for me for years now. Win 7 here though... so my guess is it's more like Windows 10 is fucking with GFE and not the other way around. Fuck Microsoft buggy ass dreck coding!

23. Re: Elite Dangerous: Horizons Early Access Dec 16, 2015, 06:03 CJ_Parker

Arithon wrote on Dec 16, 2015, 04:12:
Offline mode: Offline was NEVER a promised feature. The game was ALWAYS sold as an online multiplayer game. Anyone who says different is lying or is misled. Read the Kickstarter proposal.

Well, you are lying or being misled, dude. I love Elite: Dangerous and David Braben is a great guy for sure but they really FUCKED UP big time with regard to the offline play promise. They should have told people much earlier that it would not be in the game.

Anyway, here it is from the original KS page...

How will single player work? Will I need to connect to a server to play?

The galaxy for Elite: Dangerous is a shared universe maintained by a central server. All of the meta data for the galaxy is shared between players. This includes the galaxy itself as well as transient information like economies. The aim here is that a player's actions will influence the development of the galaxy, without necessarily having to play multiplayer.

The other important aspect for us is that we can seed the galaxy with events, often these events will be triggered by player actions. With a living breathing galaxy players can discover new and interesting things long after they have started playing.

Update! The above is the intended single player experience. However it will be possible to have a single player game without connecting to the galaxy server. You won't get the features of the evolving galaxy (although we will investigate minimising those differences) and you probably won't be able to sync between server and non-server (again we'll investigate).

^ so in the 'Update!' part they absolutely promised offline play just w/o the benefits (or disadvantages... depending on one's point of view) of the more dynamic evolving online galaxy.

22. Re: Elite Dangerous: Horizons Early Access Dec 16, 2015, 05:56 CJ_Parker

loomy wrote on Dec 16, 2015, 02:30:
Vall Forran wrote on Dec 15, 2015, 23:22:
They are basically on the guild wars system. Free to play, no subscription, buy expansions. Or don't buy them and still play.

But, go ahead, buy your Star Citizen ships with real money every few days...that's way cheaper than a $50 game.

star citizen has announced nothing like this. as of now, buying the star citizen game for $50 or whatever gets you ALL of it.

Ummm no. Star Citizen has exactly announced the very same system. No sub fees but you will have to pay for content expansions (some expansions might be free but the substantial ones will be buy to play).
Early SC backers will have some benefits in that regard just like early backers of E:D who pledged north of £80 (or £90?). The early E:D backers above that target sum got a lifetime expansion pass and will save a lot of money (probably more than any early SC backer will ever save by the way).

3427 Comments. 172 pages. Viewing page 40.
< Newer [ 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo