Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Daniel

Real Name Daniel   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname CJ_Parker
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2006, 23:49
Total Comments 3329 (Veteran)
User ID 24408

User comment history
< Newer [ 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Previews
5. Re: Saturday Previews Dec 6, 2015, 12:01 CJ_Parker

InBlack wrote on Dec 6, 2015, 11:00:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Dec 6, 2015, 10:34:
Also, they're planning the next two singleplayer campaigns (Squadron 42 is part of a trilogy) and will no doubt continue concepting and selling ships once the PTU is officially released.

Sq42 is all I want. Will it be possible for me to buy just the single player game without investing in ships or the PU?

Yes, dude, check here for the S42 preorder package but as you can see it still includes the PU (Star Citizen digital download). However, IIRC they confirmed at CitizenCon that there will be pure S42 packages at some point closer to the game's release. Edit: Yeah, it even says so on the product page of the preorder package so you can either buy now or wait for S42 standalone.

Answer the Call.

This package allows you to preorder Squadron 42, bundled with Star Citizen, at its all-time lowest price. This time-limited offer will end in 2016 when Squadron 42 becomes an item of its own.

Also includes everything you need to play Arena Commander today.

This comment was edited on Dec 6, 2015, 12:10.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Elite Dangerous VR Specs
16. Re: Elite Dangerous VR Specs Dec 5, 2015, 17:06 CJ_Parker

Slick wrote on Dec 5, 2015, 14:49:
couple things:

Going from 28nm to 14nm isn't going to mean an 80-90% jump in performance in 2016. The process is only responsible for thermals.

Not really. Straight from TSMC:

TSMC's 16FF+ (FinFET Plus) technology can provide above 65 percent higher speed, around 2 times the density, or 70 percent less power than its 28HPM technology.

28nm lasted 4 years, I don't see why 14nm would be any shorter.

Ummm... au contraire, mon ami. No one else but you sees why the 28nm phenomenon should repeat. You do realize that 28nm was a very unique thing, right?
TSMC was ready to switch to 20nm in 2013 but then it turned out (as expected by other parties like IBM) that a 20nm bulk process on planar silicon was not economically viable for a high powered node.
They needed to go FinFET+ but FinFET+ was not going to be available until the shrink to 16nm. That's why they were forced to hang on to 28nm for so long.

Four years. This basically has no precedence. There is absolutely no reason (except TSMC fucking up again) why this should ever repeat again and 10nm is actually already on the horizon for volume production in 2018. nVidia Pascal will be 16nm in 2016 and nVidia Volta might very well be a 10nm part in 2018.
Going forward, things will go back to "normal" where we will be getting new nodes in two to three years intervals. Another four year stagnation is extremely unlikely now that we have made the switch from planar silicon bulk crap to FinFET+.

We're getting close to the end of the shrinkage race. I think Intel figures they can pull off 7nm by 2018-2019, but that's far from certain.

CPUs don't equal GPUs, Intel does not equal TSMC and the numbers attached to the process nodes at all of the chip makers actually have very little to do with the real nanometers or the real size of the structures on the chips. Process naming is and has been for quite a while a reference to the shrink factor of the new node compared to its predecessor.
TSMC like Intel is confident they can pull off 7nm and I'm sure they will keep trucking as new material enter the fray (i.e. graphene most likely).

News Comments > Saturday Previews
2. Re: Saturday Previews Dec 5, 2015, 14:09 CJ_Parker

Yep. You hit the nail on the head there. Their focus lies strongly on marketing and making all the mouthbreathers drool so they pledge more.

Worry about making it all work together or with any significant number of people per instance later... or never. CIG's focus is omg-so-exciting reveals and demos for live fan events/streams and trade shows.

They spit&glue every release and then have to go back and rework the entire framework every time they are adding the next module on top of the existing crap instead of doing the entire framework (MMO codebase/instancing etc.) first and carefully adding systems with that foundation in mind.

Further delays (hefty ones) are pretty much pre-programmed and guaranteed to happen thanks to their MO.
But hey according to Chief Clown C. Roberts we're getting the FULL PU with 100+ star systems and all gameplay systems working and functioning in approximately 12 months. I mean how could he be wrong?

News Comments > Delete Steam Games
27. Re: Delete Steam Games Dec 5, 2015, 03:44 CJ_Parker

Rilcon wrote on Dec 4, 2015, 20:37:
Wait, why?

The only "use" I can see in this is in severely fucking people over that didn't log off their account somewhere another could access it. I'm hoping there's some sort of verification email or something to go along with something like this?

Reasons as far as I can see:

- Lazy ass developers like Obsidian who obviously could not be bothered to ever remove the "Pillars of Eternity - Public Beta" entry. This has been bothering me a for a while and I hid it but deleting it is even nicer, of course.

- Likewise: "Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead Beta (Obsolete)". The entire part in quotes is the exact way it shows up in my library including the "obsolete" part. You know, obsolete. O.b.s.o.l.e.t.e.
Then why the fuck is it still there, Bohemia/Valve??? Goddammit!

- Or games like Darksiders 2, Divinity Original Sin, Deus Ex Human Revolution or Metro 2033/Last Light which have been made obsolete by Deathinitive, Enhanced, Director's Cut or Redux versions (if you purchased the upgraded ones, of course).
Kinda sad that it is obviously too much to ask from these devs/publishers to make it so you can choose to replace the original entry or port your achievements (the unchanged ones) over to the new entry.

- Or the new Steam versions of some games that were introduced because of GFWL going the way of the dodo. Example: Company of Heroes. It got a new library entry because of the GFWL crap but why would you ever want to start the old one now? It's nice to be able to remove the redundant entry via deletion.

So as you can see quite a few good and valid reasons for people to use this feature to manage their libraries, though it would be even better, of course, if devs/publishers and Valve/Steam would manage their games better and allow people more options with regards to potentially redundant library entries when a new version of a game becomes available. You know, like, check against the old version in the library, and if it's there, offer people some options like merging, upgrading, deletion, hiding etc.

News Comments > Star Citizen Trailer; Arena Commander Free Demo
38. Re: Star Citizen Trailer; Arena Commander Free Demo Dec 4, 2015, 18:22 CJ_Parker

Kajetan wrote on Dec 4, 2015, 17:51:
The more we see and actually can play from and with SC, the more pathetic and outright stupid Parker & Cutter sound. Hey, but whatever floats their boat

You do realize, of course, that I have a day 1 Star Citizen account, have access to every single module and that I originally pledged north of $1K for this game way back in the early days, right? [ sold some LTI packages for phat profit$ in the meantime so my actual investment is much lower now ]

And where did I claim it's vaporware? I never claimed any of that. That's Cutter's record.
The only thing I claim is that their flashy trailers have never materialized as actual playable content which is 100% fact and truth.

They are a very far cry from delivering what they actually promised even if the stuff in the trailers looks "impressive"... as someone else mentioned it looks mostly impressive because it's been edited like mad.

I also don't think that floating from point A to point B is "impressive", sorry. You switch the gravity variable in CryEngine to zero and wow... crappy floaty gameplay like your mouse just broke.
Or how is floating from ship to ship impressive? It isn't. A game like Just Cause 2 has allowed players for years to grapple onto a flying helicopter, shoot the pilot and get in the pilot seat.

As I said, wake me up if and when they got all this crap working in a real persistent universe MMO environment with several dozen players going about their business at the same time. Then we can talk being impressed. As it stands this is just more marketing fluff and flashy bullshit aimed at making people ooooohhh and aaaaahhh.
Well, I guess it worked for some people here so mission accomplished for CIG. More money from gullible people who will preorder based on pretty graphics just like Battlefront for example.

32. Re: Star Citizen Trailer; Arena Commander Free Demo Dec 4, 2015, 17:05 CJ_Parker

Maniac wrote on Dec 4, 2015, 13:35:
... even if it would have been then no way would it have been possible to get a game of this calibre out in 3 years. Yes 3 and not 5, you know it as well as the rest of us, but I gotta give you that, a mediocre attempt at trolling.

Oh really? You do realize that you are accusing Christ Roberts Himself of "mediocre trolling" then, right?
Because it was Christ Roberts Himself the Almighty who blurted out these completely unrealistic dates in the first place.
He hung on to the end of 2014 timeframe for ages (basically until it flew by). He only recently (through the CitizenCon presentation) admitted that Squadron 42 would not be out by the end of 2015 but that it would now be out in 2016.
And only a few weeks ago, in August, He claimed that the FULL persistent universe will be out at the end of 2016 (full PU = 100+ star systems, all gameplay systems).

So what exactly are you accusing people of? Of believing in what Christ Roberts said? Isn't He this super experienced infallible uber God developer in the eyes of you fanbois? So how can Christ Roberts Himself be so wrong with the timeframes? Why didn't your precious Christ Roberts know it would take five years, not three?

You see? The unrealistic expectations were created by Christ Roberts Himself and NOT by the fans. Do not try to turn this around unless you want to make yourself look like a brainwashed cult zombie. The only person responsible for the unrealistic expectations is Christ Roberts and no one else.

30. Re: Star Citizen Trailer; Arena Commander Free Demo Dec 4, 2015, 16:44 CJ_Parker

And yet another flashy trailer showing stuff that will never be playable in this form just like all the other flashy trailers before it that also showed stuff that never made it to a playable format.

Yawn.

Wake me up when they got this shit working in the advertised MMO environment with several ships engaged in combat in the vicinity while you engage players on the station in FPS. You know... the real game with at least 50 to 100 players per instance as advertised.
And with real animations and not this travesty. And running stable with acceptable performance on a high end rig. Then we're talking...

Until then they can shove every single one of their deceptive trailers up their fraudulent assholes. Including this one.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
15. Re: Evening Tech Bits Dec 2, 2015, 22:31 CJ_Parker

@SMA: OK, fair enough. There are some good points in favor of Win 10 in a professional, corporate environment but no real "killer argument" as far as I can tell, especially not for home use (remember we're on a gaming site here Wink ).

Personally, for me, the user experience has simply not been very convincing. I have only upgraded my laptop and none of my desktops to Win 10 so far and I use the laptop rarely.
I upgraded in September (no clean install but no straight upgrade either... I used that reset option which is supposed to pretty much equal a clean install) and did not turn it on since then.

So I booted it up today to install that big Win 10 November update. First, this took several hours (usual MS crap where the update hangs at 0% for half an hour before even starting!), and secondly produced a couple error messages that simply sucked ass... like the drivers for my HP AiO printer could not be installed, unknown error, try again later. Ummm. OK. Very helpful.

Next I installed the latest nVidia drivers and contrary to my desktop it forced me to reboot (I never have to reboot on Win 7 even with a clean install). Reboot and.... !!!bingo!!!... error message from Win 10 that the installation could not be completed because new hardware detection was in process (dafuq?). Had to reboot again and then could finally access the nVidia control panel. Final score: Win 7 zero reboots, Win 10 two reboots.

Then by accident I noticed that the November update had also re-enabled hibernation against my will so I had to manually disable it again to get rid of the hiberfil.sys bloat crap.

And then when all updates FINALLY had completed, I was so fed up with all this shit that I decided to shut down Windows 10... BUT NOT SO FAST!
Instead of shutting down, Win 10 hung on the shutdown screen saying something like "updating Win 10 settings, do not turn off your computer" for about an hour before I closed the lid and called it a day.

I don't know about anyone else here but that's what I call a seriously underwhelming user experience.

News Comments > Jade Empire Free on Origin
11. Re: Jade Empire Free on Origin Dec 2, 2015, 20:44 CJ_Parker

Dude, people who "accidentally delete saves"?? Seriously... someone please set them straight and tell them the cold, harsh truth that they need to sell the PC and buy an iPad instead so they can stop doing extremely dumb shit "accidentally" (well, or at least as far as the moron-proofness of the iPad goes).  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
5. Re: Evening Tech Bits Dec 2, 2015, 20:33 CJ_Parker

Windows 7 --> Windows 10 = downgrade, not upgrade. The only thing that Win 10 has going for it compared to Win 7 is DirectX 12. In everything else it is worse, buggier and shittier.  

News Comments > GOG.com Winter Sale
20. Re: GOG.com Winter Sale Dec 2, 2015, 15:16 CJ_Parker

Cutter wrote on Dec 2, 2015, 12:44:
And yeah, if you haven't got Witcher 3 yet - you're nuts - you can wait until the next expansion drops in February. That's what I'm waiting for before commencing a new playthrough.

OK, I'm nuts but what else is new!

The deals have been more or less tempting but I'll still be waiting until both expansions are out and the nice and shiny Enhanced Edition bundle before taking the plunge. Special games deserve to be played in their ultimate, definitive, final version.

As for the GOG sale I haven't bought anything on GOG in quite some time but the X-Wing bundle was ripe for the picking this time around, although I wish they would have sold the individual games for the prices inside that bundle because I didn't really need/want them all.

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers
22. Re: New GeForce Drivers Dec 2, 2015, 04:54 CJ_Parker

InBlack wrote on Dec 2, 2015, 02:35:
What if I primarily want to play something older? Then I can go suck a dick right? Because with every single "game ready" driver Nvidia has released, my performance dropped or I've had other problems in older/other titles.

Well, I can't say the same has happened to me. There is the rare occasion where an older game will break because of a new driver but whether this is directly related to the "game ready" optimizations for the featured game? I don't know... it usually should not be directly related because those optimizations are usually very specific but as always in tech: Never say never!

My personal experience is that nVidia is usually pretty good at addressing any issues. For example, a while back one of their new drivers broke Doom 3 to the point of it being unplayable due to graphical glitches.
They acknowledged the issue and fixed it within just a few weeks (the drivers came out much less regularly then).

I know it's all anecdotal but I really can't complain and I play quite a few games that are older, like, from the early 2000s. For the really old stuff (pre-Y2K) you will in many cases need fan patches anyway to get them to work properly.

It's one of the reasons why I have stuck with nVidia. Their backwards compatibility seems to be much better than their competitor's.

News Comments > Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege Released
12. Re: Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege Released Dec 2, 2015, 00:52 CJ_Parker

yuastnav wrote on Dec 1, 2015, 21:20:
CJ_Parker wrote on Dec 1, 2015, 16:02:
yuastnav wrote on Dec 1, 2015, 11:23:
So how does this compare to Rogue Spear and Raven Shield?

This was a joke question, right?

I just want a modern version of Rogue Spear.

Same here. Best game in the series by far.

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: R6 bullshit Dec 1, 2015, 20:52 CJ_Parker

Hilarious stuff in that R6 blurb like...

…Study up on the Operators. Try all of them. There may be some you’re a secret badass with, but wouldn’t necessarily go to because they don’t seem like your style.

^ Yup. Great idea... in theory, UbiSoft. In practice, however, even your fucking retarded SINGLE PLAYER terrorist hunt mode forces this 15 seconds timer on your ass!
How are you supposed to "study up" on the operators and all the possible gear in 15 fucking seconds? You can't! In fucking SINGLE PLAYER!
I can fully understand a timer for multiplayer (but make it 30s maybe?) so people don't camp the selection screen instead of playing the game but what the fuck is that timer for in SINGLE PLAYER? Were you too fucking lazy to remove it, UbiShit? Seriously? Goddammit!

News Comments > Nova: Covert Ops Pre-purchases
2. Re: Nova: Covert Ops Pre-purchases Dec 1, 2015, 20:40 CJ_Parker

As someone who has preordered the CEs of all three SC2 games, I definitely feel like there should be some kind of loyalty discount for this.
Oh well, I guess I will reconsider my loyalty as far as purchasing future Blizz games is concerned.
It's also a joke how fast the price for the first two SC2 games crumbled. Lesson learned here: Wait for the compilation pack next time and get all three for the price of one. No problem, Blizzard, if that's what you want instead of preorders or release day purchases, you shall have it. I will gladly obey and save a ton of cash!

9. Re: Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege Released Dec 1, 2015, 17:46 CJ_Parker

Ventura wrote on Dec 1, 2015, 17:18:
I could terrorist hunt all day, so I picked it up.

Terrorist hunt would have been this game's saving grace and potentially could have made me consider picking it up on sale for $9.99 or less but TH is so fucking retarded that I will not bother with this game even if someone gave it to me for free.

It does not possibly get dumber than the retarded defend-the-bomb mini-game. So you finally get to the bomb and then this countdown starts where dozens upon dozens of terrorists come piling into the tiny room. If you run out of ammo (you will) and you have to reload or switch weapons at the wrong time you're dead.
This "gameplay" mode makes absolutely no fucking sense. Why would every terrorist be psychic and magically know that you started defusing the bomb? What kind of defuser is this that defuses the bomb unattended?

It's gamey bullshit is what it is. The strength of the classic R6 games was "realism" (as far as possible in a video game). This Siege piece of shit is the pinnacle of lameness.
The whole upgrade bullshit doesn't make any fucking sense either. So you're this SAS operative who needs to go on a dangerous mission but hey sorry man, nope, you can't have the best equipment or even the most basic shit like a proper scope for your rifle because you're too low level. LOL. Shitty and ridiculous. If you're special ops you need to have access to the best equipment from the start.

Ubi should have created a new franchise if they want to milk dumbasses for upgrade points but abusing and fucking up R6 like this is really, really sad.

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront 40-Player Battle Shown
37. Re: Star Wars Battlefront 40 Player Battle Shown Dec 1, 2015, 16:41 CJ_Parker

Creston wrote on Dec 1, 2015, 08:46:
CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 30, 2015, 22:38:
Steele Johnson wrote on Nov 30, 2015, 21:42:
it's almost 2016 and online FPS devs are still struggling with # of players? Every 3d game wihether it be pve or pvp should have no problem supporting hundreds of npc and pcs with very minimal lag. the tech has been there for years now so use it!

What "tech has been there for years" to eliminate lag? Gaming is a global affair. Publishers can't really choose their audience and they can't economically offer servers for every single geographical region.
So you end up with broadband people physically close to the game servers who ping in at <20ms and then you have some maggot from Bumfuck, OH on LTE pinging in at 250+ms.

Due to the complexity of modern game engines, the advancements in 3D tech have actually had a detrimental effect as you can see by the lower player numbers than a decade ago because there is much more data that needs to be processed, checked and updated in "real-time"... well, or as close as you can get to that with the 200ms maggot.

This is not an issue of CPU/GPU processing power at all but an issue of not being able to predict latency. You need to get data from A to B and back to A while also calculating what C, D, E, F, G... and so on are doing at the same time.
This is a physical limitation of online. There is no tech to work around those limitations except hooking up every single gamer home with fibre but even then there'd still be limits to what you can do.

If only there was some way where players could see their latency to a server, and then pick which server they want to play on based on that latency.

We could call it... I dunno, like a server picker!

True, true... but it doesn't change the fact that for the maggot in Bumfuck, OH the best server for him could still be a 250ms lag affair.
There is no way to prevent that people with vastly different latency will join servers (unless you have real dedicated servers where the server admins can auto-kick people > 100ms for example).
But this wouldn't work for official servers or matchmaking. It would turn into a support nightmare for the publisher if they hardcapped connection latency limits.

@InBlack: I was talking about the complexity of modern 3D engines and actually specifically said that it is NOT an issue of graphical fidelity per se! The issue is huge maps (compared to the days of yore) with large distances where the clients and the server need to be on the same page at all times with regard to visibility, obstacles, physics, ballistics and modern complex damage models and so on...
Modern games need to keep track of a lot more variables than older games and keeping everything synchronized for everybody from the 20ms guy to the 250ms maggot is a huge challenge.
This is a real tangible technical hurdle. If it would not be we'd have plenty of MMOFPS games.

6. Re: Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege Released Dec 1, 2015, 16:02 CJ_Parker

yuastnav wrote on Dec 1, 2015, 11:23:
So how does this compare to Rogue Spear and Raven Shield?

This was a joke question, right?

News Comments > Just Cause 3 Released; No Multi-GPU Support and Other Issues
18. Re: Just Cause 3 Released; No Multi-GPU Support and Other Issues Dec 1, 2015, 16:01 CJ_Parker

Hahahaha another AAA launch right down the toilet. Comedy gold.  

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers
13. Re: New GeForce Drivers Dec 1, 2015, 15:55 CJ_Parker

StaticRandomNumber wrote on Dec 1, 2015, 13:08:
I am curious with these driver updates post game release. When they made the game (over the course of a few years), they must have used some older drivers and whatever they intended to display was done with those.

That a driver update post-release is suddenly a big optimization puzzles me quite a bit, unless the driver updates are simply corner cutting to make things run smoother.

Dude, modern GPUs have computing features that the developers take advantage of during game development to program their own custom shaders and effects.

All of this stuff will work fine on drivers that are available during the game's development. However, it is absolutely possible to optimize and accelerate these custom effects on driver level.

That's why the game devs cooperate closely with nVidia engineers towards the end of development to implement optimizations for the "game-ready" drivers.

These new drivers are supposed to make sure you have a smoother, better performing experience and hopefully no cosmetic glitches which might occur on older drivers in some circumstances.

3329 Comments. 167 pages. Viewing page 37.
< Newer [ 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo