Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Daniel

Real Name Daniel   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname CJ_Parker
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2006, 23:49
Total Comments 3423 (Veteran)
User ID 24408

User comment history
< Newer [ 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ] Older >

News Comments > Quantum Break PC Plans; Xbox Players Unhappy
31. Re: Quantum Break PC Plans; Xbox Players Unhappy Feb 12, 2016, 18:21 CJ_Parker

DangerDog wrote on Feb 12, 2016, 15:19:
Hilarious, and PC gamers will complain about the Windows 10 exclusivity and that it'll only be available through the MS Store.

Microsoft just can't win.

Of course they can't. They are not a customer friendly company by any stretch of the imagination.

The only reason they are bringing Quantum Break to Windows 10 is to further force people into upgrading and to promote their Windows 10 store. The sole purpose of giving away the free Win 10 key for preordering the Shitbox version except to score Shitbox preorders is to get people to create accounts and claim their PC versions from the Windows store.

Absolutely none of this is customer friendly. What would be customer friendly would be a DirectX 11 release with optional DirectX 12 support for Windows 10 and distribution of the PC game via all available channels from retail to the Windows store, to Steam, uPlay, Origin, everything.

But that is not how the assholes at Microsoft operate. The way Microsoft has been operating for a long, long time now is they do what's best for Microsoft, not for the consumer. They do clearly not give a shit about the consumer and that is exactly why these fucking losers have fallen so far behind other competitors (no, I'm not saying that everything is perfect in Google and Apple land but those companies at least give HALF a shit about consumers compared to Microsoft's ZERO flatline).

People can be upset when you say that it's an xbox exclusive only to change your mind. Let's say someone bought xbox for Quantum Break. They could justifiably think they were shafted thinking that's the only way they could play it

I have zero sympathy for impatient dumbfucks who buy a Shitbox on the loose promise of a SINGLE (or even a couple, say less than a handful) exclusives. They fully deserve to be screwed in the a like this. Makes me LOL big time just thinking about their dumb faces at the sight of these news.
Preordering a console for an alleged exclusive is even dumber than preordering games. Anyone who is that mouthbreathing dumb is simply asking for it...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Quantum Break PC Plans; Xbox Players Unhappy Feb 12, 2016, 12:48 CJ_Parker

MacLeod wrote on Feb 12, 2016, 11:09:
I'm confused. What exactly are people complaining about? The game was originally Xbox One only, then they announced they'll release a PC version (with cross save compatibility no less), and giving it to every preorder for free... What is there to complain about??

It's only the Shitbox kiddies complaining that it is no longer a Shitbox exclusive. No PC gamer is complaining (or if they are only about the steep system reqs).

News Comments > Star Citizen's Discount Package for Backers
7. Re: Star Citizen's Discount Package for Backers Feb 12, 2016, 10:59 CJ_Parker

CrimsonPaw wrote on Feb 12, 2016, 09:44:
Will this project ever come out of beta

Beta? According to the cultists it is still in pre-pre-pre alpha. Beta is far, far away...

9. Re: Quantum Break PC Plans; Xbox Players Unhappy Feb 12, 2016, 10:54 CJ_Parker

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 12, 2016, 09:21:
And there is no 4GHZ Intel Core i7-4790 either, that thing has 3.6GHZ

Uh what? The i7-4790K absolutely has a base frequency of 4GHz and a turbo boost frequency of 4.4GHz and the non-K variant has a turbo clock of 4GHz so it will run at 4GHz, too, as soon as some load is on the CPU.

Did total nooblets make that listing with zero clue about hardware???

Ahem....

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Launches Anarchy in Paradise
1. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Launches Anarchy in Paradise Feb 11, 2016, 19:47 CJ_Parker

Yawn. The first part of the expansion was a snorefest. I might check it out when the entire KotFE story has been released but after the first episode I feel absolutely no pull to resub for more boredom.  

News Comments > Descent-Inspired OVERLOAD Kickstarter
18. Re: Descent-Inspired OVERLOAD Kickstarter Feb 11, 2016, 11:03 CJ_Parker

siapnar wrote on Feb 11, 2016, 00:23:
CJ_Parker wrote on Feb 10, 2016, 15:56:
Descent Underground funding was very slow, slowed down to a crawl for much of the campaign, then ended up $50K (or so) short of the funding goal and then all of a sudden made the goal at the last minute. WingMan & co definitely helped their own game over the finishing line.

Furthermore, they kept pledges open at their website post-campaign and made maybe about $20K more in over six months (= a joke).
Right now the game is in early access on Steam and according to SteamSpy has about 30K owners of which up to 8K might be KS backers.

Finally, from the comments at KS, their forums, the SC forums etc. a lot of people (myself included) backed this only because of the Star Citizen connection and because WingMan (and Rob Irving and Mike Morlan) provided endless hours of entertainment in the early days of SC.

They are going to have to work some marketing wonders to drum up support for this game where WingMan & Co failed. It may not be impossible but it seems to me that the interest for this type of game might just be extremely niche of the niche nowadays.
I'd hardly call 30,000 sales in less than 4 months a disaster, though. That's a pretty good chunk of money.

What they have developed for the money they got via KS though? Not very impressive, considering

They have 30K owners, not sales. As I said above, up to 8K of those 30K might be KS backers (they had 8,164 backers). Assuming that some backers have not claimed their Steam copy yet, their sales are probably at around 25K max.
We are not talking full price sales by a long shot here. The game is currently discounted as part of Steam's Lunar New Year sale. Full price is 27.99 and it's selling for 40% off at 16.79. Overall, they probably have a rather low-ish $20 average sales price or something like that for their 25K copies.

Look, I wish both Descendent as well as these OVERLOAD guys (Revival) the best of success but I originally found it quite surprising that a Descent spiritual successor like DU only barely made the funding goal in spite of major crossover effects from e.g. the SC community.
That's why I'm astonished that Revival are giving this concept another try with OVERLOAD. If I were a decision maker at Revival then basic market research would have persuaded me to try a different pitch.
But that's just me, of course. Maybe they'll break all new records and I will look like a tard. We shall see...

Finally, I would not dismiss DU as "not very impressive" at this stage. The KS campaign ended April 2015. That's less than a year ago and they have a few ships, a few levels, plenty of power-ups, the basic Descent gameplay is fully there, the game absolutely looks&feels like Descent... it's getting there. They did a good job so far (the hopefully legit early access reviews are very positive, too). What else did you expect for $600K?

10. Re: Descent-Inspired OVERLOAD Kickstarter Feb 10, 2016, 19:50 CJ_Parker

That's true but I did not say that they should run a campaign with the exact same funding goal . Of course they'd have to ask for more but I'm still sure that the chances of success would be much higher than with this one here.  

8. Re: Descent-Inspired OVERLOAD Kickstarter Feb 10, 2016, 18:37 CJ_Parker

Wallshadows wrote on Feb 10, 2016, 16:03:
It has a single player campaign right out of the gate so that makes it stand a better chance to get funding.

Right?

Of course. Their goal is also only half that of DU. But it still boggles the mind how they came up with the idea to make this kind of game when you have an almost carbon copy example in DU that did not exactly take off like crazy in spite of some major cross-marketing with Star Citizen (shout-out by Chris Roberts etc.).

The real niche right now is a true Wing Commander or FreeSpace sequel. Star Citizen has long gone full retard and no longer matches that description.

Since these OVERLOAD guys have people on board who worked on FreeSpace, they should have considered making a good old traditional space sim with an epic single player campaign along the lines of FreeSpace, Wing Commander, X-Wing/TIE/Fighter etc.

That would have had a much higher chance of success than another "me too" Descent (DU will also have a single player by the way but it was not the focus of the campaign that's true).

3. Re: Descent-Inspired OVERLOAD Kickstarter Feb 10, 2016, 15:56 CJ_Parker

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Feb 10, 2016, 15:22:
CJ_Parker wrote on Feb 10, 2016, 14:35:
Ummm... so they figure this is a good idea after the smashing "success" of the Descent Underground KS?

OK. Whatever.

Good luck!

So descent underground was funded. Maybe they're looking for a pay out as well.
Kickstarter page

Descent Underground funding was very slow, slowed down to a crawl for much of the campaign, then ended up $50K (or so) short of the funding goal and then all of a sudden made the goal at the last minute. WingMan & co definitely helped their own game over the finishing line.

Furthermore, they kept pledges open at their website post-campaign and made maybe about $20K more in over six months (= a joke).
Right now the game is in early access on Steam and according to SteamSpy has about 30K owners of which up to 8K might be KS backers.

Finally, from the comments at KS, their forums, the SC forums etc. a lot of people (myself included) backed this only because of the Star Citizen connection and because WingMan (and Rob Irving and Mike Morlan) provided endless hours of entertainment in the early days of SC.

They are going to have to work some marketing wonders to drum up support for this game where WingMan & Co failed. It may not be impossible but it seems to me that the interest for this type of game might just be extremely niche of the niche nowadays.

1. Re: Descent-Inspired OVERLOAD Kickstarter Feb 10, 2016, 14:35 CJ_Parker

Ummm... so they figure this is a good idea after the smashing "success" of the Descent Underground KS?

OK. Whatever.

Good luck!

News Comments > Star Citizen Split Details
35. Re: Star Citizen Split Details Feb 10, 2016, 12:57 CJ_Parker

Quboid wrote on Feb 10, 2016, 12:36:
(Not sure how to define "success" at this point.)

Simple: The delivery of the original pitch plus every single stretch goal from this list, while adhering to The Pledge, all in a reasonably stable and bug-free state.

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
6. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Feb 10, 2016, 12:50 CJ_Parker

LOL@CROWDFUNDING

Never again, fuckers!

News Comments > David Gaider Joins Beamdog
10. Re: David Gaider Joins Beamdog Feb 10, 2016, 12:10 CJ_Parker

Obsidian would have been a perfect fit in so far as incompetent writer joins incompetent developer.

Poor Beamdog...

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
2. Re: Mad Catz Feb 9, 2016, 21:25 CJ_Parker

And Star Citizen cultists are having their panties in a bunch because this could affect the SC HOTAS.  

27. Re: Star Citizen Split Details Feb 9, 2016, 18:15 CJ_Parker

Tumbler wrote on Feb 9, 2016, 14:28:
Creston wrote on Feb 9, 2016, 10:02:
This whole thing screams of a "BUY NOW! BUY NOW!!!!" desperation attempt to get more money to me.

Assuming that Squadron 42 is going to be $30 or so after being broken off it seems like people will have the option to buy just the Single Player campaign if they like it.

Why dafuq do you "assume" all this stuff instead of just, you know, reading the very article you are commenting on, brah?
It says right there that both games will be $45 after the split and the PU will be a $15 add-on for Squadron 42 and vice versa.

Come on. Reading shit is not that hard...

26. Re: Star Citizen Split Details Feb 9, 2016, 18:07 CJ_Parker

Creston wrote on Feb 9, 2016, 12:11:
Oh yeah, if this means that SQ42 will at least get released, then woooot.

I don't think there is anything to worry about with regard to at least one episode (ten missions or so) of Squadron 42.
Roberts is not going to embarrass himself to the point where he hired Oldman, Serkis, Hamill, Anderson etc. for vaporware. He would be complete toast if he fucks that up and would need to get a name change and face surgery.

The online component OTOH may be a different story. There are still more than a few HUGE question marks with regard to (not limited to technical) feasibility.
I would not be surprised if CIG ends up massively dumbing down the PU and then puts the spin on it that they originally only promised Squadron 42 and delivered that so people should be happy that they got the PU as a bonus.

Chris Roberts has already said something similar a few months back where he conveniently forgot that the PU was always part of the pitch (just check the original KS site). It was one of the times I realized that the guy is simply a lying scummy asshole. Or he really is knee deep into drugs and just forgets stuff easily. Or he has a serious mental deficiency. Make your pick...

This separation of the games/modules would alleviate any such moves quite a bit. Roberts must have realized by now that they bit off way more than they can chew with the PU so I'm fully expecting a massive downscaling (100 systems at launch my ass) and a very limited PU launch compared to what was promised via the original pitch and the stretch goals.

News Comments > Steam Top 10 - XCOM 2 Edition
58. Re: Steam Top 10 - XCOM 2 Edition Feb 8, 2016, 15:06 CJ_Parker

Creston wrote on Feb 8, 2016, 12:40:
Yeah, I mean, clearly people are finishing the game with them in place, I just don't like playing that way. It also really doesn't make much sense. You're a guerilla force, and guerilla forces do not just make shit up and throw people away at will.

To me they really don't add anything, but of course that's just me. I'm sure lots of people enjoy the added time pressure / difficulty. I'm just glad we can mod it away if we want to. :)

I agree. It turns games like this into complete trial&error affairs where you are forced to restart several times until you find a way to beat the mission within the limit. Way too game-y for my taste. I hate trial&error games that waste my time.
It was the same problem with the good old Panzer/Pacific General games. Awesome games actually but the turn limits ruined the fun big time, especially when the mission pulled a surprise rabbit out of its hat and forced you to try again.
It's not my cup of tea at all and I'll definitely be giving XCom 2 a pass after reading this thread.

News Comments > Hitman Beta FAQ/Trailer
4. Re: Hitman Beta FAQ/Trailer Feb 8, 2016, 14:54 CJ_Parker

This game.

They can keep it.

And shove up their dumb asses.

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Expansion and Patch This Month
1. Re: Pillars of Eternity Expansion and Patch This Month Feb 4, 2016, 14:43 CJ_Parker

HAHAHAHAHAHA MOAR BUGZ  

News Comments > DOOM in May
23. Re: DOOM in May Feb 4, 2016, 14:29 CJ_Parker

Hahaha Friday 13th. It's gonna suck ass. Heed the warning.  

3423 Comments. 172 pages. Viewing page 33.
< Newer [ 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo