Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Duffy

Real Name Duffy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname CJ_Parker
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2006, 23:49
Total Comments 4027 (Master)
User ID 24408

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > The Sims 4 Cats & Dogs Expansion Released
2. Re: The Sims 4 Cats & Dogs Expansion Released Nov 10, 2017, 18:57 CJ_Parker

Meeeeeeeeeeeeoooooooooowwwwwwwwooooooooooffffff  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Painkiller and Painkiller: Battle out of Hell No Longer on German Index
8. Re: Painkiller and Painkiller: Battle out of Hell No Longer on German Index Nov 10, 2017, 17:51 CJ_Parker

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Nov 10, 2017, 17:11:
So what I understand by the replies is you could have purchased a physical copy of Painkiller on release using an 18+ ID?

Yep. Or import a UK/US copy in case a German version is censored. This is one of the disadvantages of the digital age. The dreaded region lock for games that are bound to Steam sucks ass.
Back in the day you could easily get legal(!) disk copies (illegal never was a problem anyway ofc) of indexed games or even enter the key of an import version on Steam (Steam language had to be set to English for most games in such cases) to get access to the uncensored version.

At some point Valve made this impossible via region locking. Apparently it was easier to implement a region lock system than to make a simple age verification system in all these years.

Of course the region lock was implemented at the request of publishers while the age verification system would be for (mostly German/Aussie etc.) customers and we all know how much of a shit Valve gives about their customers.
It's one of the many things they never got around to for improving their ancient piece of shit client.

News Comments > Obsidian Tease
15. Re: Obsidian Tease Nov 9, 2017, 15:23 CJ_Parker

ForgedReality wrote on Nov 9, 2017, 14:30:
It just means "our future is uncertain. Maybe we'll go out of business tomorrow. NOBODY KNOWS! Ian't life exciting? :D"

Wouldn't be too surprising as they have proven time and again that they are simply incapable of delivering a quality product on time (key words here quality and on time... I've enjoyed a few games from that list but only after years of patching).

So, once you are done proving to every publisher how incompetent you are then all that is left is '???'

News Comments > GOG Revives Three Sierra Classics
12. Re: GOG Revives Three Sierra Classics Nov 9, 2017, 09:55 CJ_Parker

Optimaximal wrote on Nov 9, 2017, 04:40:
Future Shock

I asked the Bethesda EU PR Manager whether he can look into getting Future Shock and Skynet (and possibly the earlier releases) up on GOG or whether they're tied up in licensing hell. He said he'd look into it with Todd Howard.

Well, let's hope it is not the same "look into" as that Microsoft product manager chick who posted in the Freelancer thread about five years ago that she would "look into" forwarding the Freelancer/Starlancer request to someone higher up Wink .

This comment was edited on Nov 9, 2017, 10:08.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
9. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 9, 2017, 02:40 CJ_Parker

Never say never but I very much doubt that Intel has any interest to enter the consumer dGPU market. They could have done this a looong time ago (remember project Larrabee?) and decided not to.

What they are after is certainly the advanced AI, automotive, datacenter market to compete with AMD and nVidia for multi-billion $$$ deals.

I'll be surprised if they really do a consumer dGPU. They'd have to compete with AMD and nVidia which would inevitably lead to price wars and relatively low margins.

As the new kid on the block they would be facing massive up front investments to get board partners umm... on board and to build up the whole retail infrastructure, marketing, all that crap.
And for what? Very little gain. The desktop PC market is still in decline at a small rate instead of growing.

Nope. A third competitor in dGPUs would be great for us consumers but it does not seem very realistic. This Intel move is definitely about wrestling with AMD and nVidia in the professional sector.

News Comments > Command & Conquer Speculation
8. Re: Command & Conquer Speculation Nov 8, 2017, 21:00 CJ_Parker

You mean that F2P browser game? That one is still going actually:

https://www.tiberiumalliances.com/

News Comments > Evening Interviews
1. Re: Evening Interviews Nov 8, 2017, 20:21 CJ_Parker

Deckard Cain in Overwatch. Anything goes for the mighty $$$ in Blizztard land.  

News Comments > GOG Revives Three Sierra Classics
4. Re: GOG Revives Three Sierra Classics Nov 8, 2017, 20:15 CJ_Parker

Acleacius wrote on Nov 8, 2017, 19:54:
Damn, besides the obvious games like NOLF & NOLF 2, I've been hoping for a couple of lesser known games:
Drakan Order of the Flame

Drakan "lesser known"? Que el fucko?!?

That game was bundled with just about every single graphics card on the market for a year or two back in the day and given away for free on magazine CDs/DVDs about a billion times.

Seriously, in Y2K it probably would have been harder to find a single PC owner who did NOT own a copy of Drakan (or at least heard of it) than the other way around.

News Comments > Command & Conquer Speculation
6. Re: Command & Conquer Speculation Nov 8, 2017, 15:58 CJ_Parker

J wrote on Nov 8, 2017, 11:59:
C&C - now always online, with no single player, and loot boxes. The EA way (tm).

^ this

Recent news seem to indicate that they are tripping over themselves at EA HQ to find popular franchises they can revive to jump on the microtransaction + loot box hypewagon.

Kinda like the mobile craze a few years back when they were doing mobile spinoffs with in-app purchases of every franchise just to cash in on the popularity of the franchise on the app store.

Same thing here. If they are really doing C&C then I bet it's gonna be some lame multiplayer focused garbage game with microtransactions and loot boxes (a nice shiny mammoth tank or special agent Tanya inside a loot box anyone?) out da a$$.

News Comments > Take-Two Financials; GTA5 Now All-Time Bestselling Game in U.S.
3. Re: Take-Two Financials; GTA5 Now All-Time Bestselling Game in U.S. Nov 7, 2017, 21:18 CJ_Parker

Still a proud non-owner of that casual piece of console dreck.  

News Comments > Mass Effect N7 Day
3. Re: Mass Effect N7 Day Nov 7, 2017, 21:16 CJ_Parker

Those "vague thoughts" were uttered long before microtransactions and loot boxes (even in single player games) really took off so I'm sure that they have reevaluated their thoughts on the matter.

Established popular franchise + microtransactions + loot boxes = $$$

The next ME is definitely coming with a nice li'l in-game store so you can play dress-up-an-alien for cash or buy awesome-button equipment for god mode.

News Comments > HITMAN: Game of the Year Edition
8. Re: HITMAN: Game of the Year Edition Nov 7, 2017, 14:53 CJ_Parker

Good bundle. Now they need to drop it to $9.99 and then we're talking about a possible purchase.  

News Comments > Get Watch_Dogs for Free
8. Re: Get Watch_Dogs for Free Nov 7, 2017, 02:57 CJ_Parker

jamiedj99 wrote on Nov 6, 2017, 23:56:
lol got it free but in my uplay list it tells me I can preload the game but cant play it till its released. I smell some shit somewhere here

Must be the smell of shit from inside your head .

Because if you had done something really simple like read the text behind the first link in the news post or the actual first sentence of the newsbit then you would know that the game won't be playable before 4PM UTC (11AM EST as Blue wrote) on November 7th.
Your preload(ed) button will switch to a play button in almost exactly eight hours from the time of my post here.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
2. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 5, 2017, 14:01 CJ_Parker

Well, one thing is for sure: The human sheep of this planet are very much alive and kicking!  

News Comments > Wild West Online Early Access This Month
9. Re: Wild West Online Early Access This Month Nov 4, 2017, 21:49 CJ_Parker

born2expire wrote on Nov 4, 2017, 17:47:
Tomas wrote on Nov 4, 2017, 14:35:
I'm not usually one to nitpick, but whoever wrote this press release is really bad at English.

that'd be Sergey Titov for you

Haha. Titov. Sergey the tit. Bwwwwaaaahahahahahahahahaaa.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 4, 2017, 21:46 CJ_Parker

gsilver wrote on Nov 4, 2017, 11:54:
The end of DST is very much losing an hour to me, since it means that Iíll be in the office an hour later every night, and will no longer get an hour of sunlight after work. Now itís maybe a few minutes, if I leave early.

Uck. Canít we just stay on DST year round?

//And thatís ignoring the fact that Iíve been getting tired and waking up too early... My body would love the clocks to spring forward!

^ this

Fuck standard time. The only people I can see being happy with standard time and early darkness would be the basement-dwellers who don't give a shit about sunlight no matter what time it is but for those of us who enjoy being outside for physical activities it is a fucking nightmare.

I can't wait for the end of March already. Fuck standard time, fuck winter, fuck the cold, fuck the early nightfall and fuck the earth's retarded axial tilt that is responsible for all this depressing shit.

News Comments > World of Warcraft Classic and New WoW Expansion Announced
4. Re: World of Warcraft Classic and New WoW Expansion Announced Nov 3, 2017, 16:27 CJ_Parker

So with the expansion they are embedding a MOBA inside their MMO. Subscription fees plus microtransactions plus loot boxes, all in one game, confirmed. Blizztard 2017. A real winning gig.  

News Comments > StarCraft II Going Free-to-Play
3. Re: StarCraft II Going Free-to-Play Nov 3, 2017, 15:50 CJ_Parker

OK. That's it. Starcraft Remastered was my final ever Blizztard purchase. Dem fuckheads.  

News Comments > Morning Patches
10. Re: Morning Patches Nov 2, 2017, 17:02 CJ_Parker

I don't get why anyone would still buy a Ubishit game on release. Y'all deserve every single one of these issues and then some.
It's too bad the game can not physically come out of the PC and shit in your lap. Maybe then people would finally wake up?
Hm. Probably not. You would probably thank Ubi for making it nice, warm and cozy in your lap.

News Comments > NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Launches
9. Re: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Launches Nov 2, 2017, 16:52 CJ_Parker

Saboth wrote on Nov 2, 2017, 15:42:
My regular 1070 already handles any game at 1440 maxed out though...

Many folks have a funny definition of either "maxed out" or of their perception of "handles" Wink .

With the right games and REALLY maxed out settings you can easily bring a 1080Ti to its knees in 1440p.

For example, Watch Dogs 2 or Ghost Recon Wildlands... these are both games that will drop below a solid 60fps at 1440p at max settings even on a 1080Ti.
Or The Witcher 3: It will not run anywhere near 60fps on a 1070 in 1440p with Hairworks (+AA) fully enabled (= maxed out).
Finally, Deus Ex Mankind Divided you can also forget about maxing out even on a 1080Ti. When I played the recent free weekend version, I had to dial down the AA level to get pleasant fps (still dipped below 60fps frequently).

Don't get me wrong. A GTX 1070 is certainly a decent card for 1080p/1440p but you are definitely going to have to make compromises and turn down some of the more demanding settings (like e.g. AA or HBAO+ or Screen Space Reflections or certain Gameworks effects) in quite a few modern games. To say it runs any game "maxed out" at 1440p is simply not true.

4027 Comments. 202 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo