Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Daniel

Real Name Daniel   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname CJ_Parker
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2006, 23:49
Total Comments 3426 (Veteran)
User ID 24408

User comment history
< Newer [ 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ] Older >

News Comments > The Division Tips
11. Re: The Division Tips Mar 9, 2016, 14:53 CJ_Parker

Darks wrote on Mar 9, 2016, 12:33:
This is why devs implement walking through NPCs and players.

You mean regular devs and not scam gigs like Ubi who can not be bothered to adhere to industry standards almost two decades after people first found out that blocking others in MMOs is uncool.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > GeForce Driver Warning
32. Re: GeForce Driver Warning Mar 9, 2016, 02:39 CJ_Parker

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Mar 9, 2016, 02:33:
My question is how the fuck did this even get to WHQL.

It's Microsoft and it has to do with the PC but it has nothing to do with forcing people to upgrade to Windows 10 or turning the PC into a console, i.e. they did not give a fuck when they greenlighted the driver in their "hardware quality labs" (which is probably one doped guy in Pakistan on minimum wage going "ooookkkeeeehhh rilliss dis!!!11".

News Comments > OVERLOAD Teaser Demo
16. Re: OVERLOAD Teaser Demo Mar 8, 2016, 15:14 CJ_Parker

gsilver wrote on Mar 8, 2016, 15:02:
CJ_Parker wrote on Mar 8, 2016, 12:22:
More worthy at least than this me-too-Descent-Underground-clone
Dude. This is the original creators.

Would you call a Freespace-like game called something else but developed by Mike Kulas and Matt Toschlog a me-too clone because they didn't have the license? Especially if some other group got the IP first but pushed it in a radically different direction?

Yeah, I know. I shouldn't feed the trolls.

I know all that but now that DU is on the way with the actual license and absolutely not in a "radically different direction" (what the hell makes you think so?), sorry, they can be the original creators all they like... it still looks like "me too" when DU is actually out and playable in early access (and feels as perfectly identical to the originals as a beta game can... seriously, try it out, if you haven't yet... I actually have).
By the way it's only a couple of the original guys on OVERLOAD so let's not pretend like the entire old crew has come back together or anything like that.

P.S.: If you really want to blame anyone for Descendant Studios' existence then you need to blame Christ Roberts. If he wouldn't have fired WingMan, Irving and Morlan then they would never have founded their own studio to do DU.

News Comments > Tom Clancy's The Division Released
9. Re: Tom Clancy's The Division Released Mar 8, 2016, 15:07 CJ_Parker

Yep. Fuck The Division.

20. Re: GeForce Driver Warning Mar 8, 2016, 14:47 CJ_Parker

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 8, 2016, 14:44:
I can't remember the last time I installed a video driver update other than immediately after installing the video card... am I missing out on something?

Yes, you do. Some so called game-ready drivers actually do have some very nice performance boosts or fix a number of image quality issues (some less, some more noticeable).
If you are happy without any of those boosts then more power to you but let us not pretend like there aren't any benefits to keeping drivers up-to-date (for reference see any hardware site that does driver update benchmarks).

News Comments > Op Ed
29. Re: Op Ed Mar 8, 2016, 14:43 CJ_Parker

Spektr wrote on Mar 8, 2016, 13:45:
I don't really see the point of wanting to play console games on the PC. You can do that on console for cheaper. This said console type games on PC is not really the issue if PC gamers are not getting deprived of the games they enjoy.

Microsoft sees the point though and that is all that matters (to them). They have tried as hard as they could now for 15+ years to force PC gamers to abandon the PC and buy one of their Shitbox incarnations.
With the Xbone they have now arrived at total failure as the PS4 is running circles around it and it does not look like people want to abandon their PCs.

So what do you do if you are a little asshole company like MS? Right. You introduce an OS for free, force migration as hard as you can and then *WHAMMOOOOO* you lock all the fuckers down once they are inside. If the gamers don't come to the console then the console comes to the gamers. Simple as that.

UWP is the worst possible thing that could ever happen to PC gaming. As someone else has said in another thread around here, it would be preferable if MS would simply go back to not giving a fuck about PC gaming instead of fucking it up and ruining everything with their retarded Windows 10 store UWP walled garden dipshit dumbass asshole approach.

My only (extremely slight) hope is that people won't fall for it but knowing all the sheeple they will be all over a Halo, Forza, next GoW etc. regardless of the shitty restrictions. And then Microsoft wins and we (normal ones with brain cells) are fucked.

15. Re: GeForce Driver Warning Mar 8, 2016, 12:54 CJ_Parker

By the way they completely pulled the driver now. New beta driver is 364.51 and might replace the FUBAR 364.47 soon-ish.  

14. Re: OVERLOAD Teaser Demo Mar 8, 2016, 12:22 CJ_Parker

Suppa7 wrote on Mar 8, 2016, 02:47:
CJ_Parker wrote on Mar 7, 2016, 21:14:
If I had to give those guys some advice: Come back and pitch a proper FreeSpace sequel.

They won't do a sequel because FS2 sold around ~100K copies. FS2 was a flop. I'd say there's even less interest in Freespace than there is in descent. As popular as these games were for us hardcore types they aren't known outside hardcore gaming circles. Freespace 2 was released in 1999, that's almost 17 years ago.

Look at the count on the vid below, roughly 150K views in 5 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhAR8rWPluQ

Yeah but back then people might have been saturated with space sims and PC piracy was rampant (Napster effect and all that... people loved their freebies).
1999 also had a lot of other really good releases like Planescape Torment. I don't remember the timing of FS2's release but there might have generally been many very specific factors that caused it to not be as successful as it should have been.

Nowadays people are starved for space sims (see the success of SC). I'm quite sure that a properly pitched spiritual successor to FreeSpace could be a thang.
Besides, 100K copies would be a really good start for an indie doing a spiritual sequel. 100K backers (early accessers) at $30 average (going low and conservative there) would be $3 million which would be considered a very successful Kickstarter/EA.

I mean I totally understand that no publisher wants to touch this and put a AAA budget at risk doing a FS spiritual successor but it seems like it would be a pretty good fit for crowdfunding if pitched correctly.
I regularly browse the SC and the E:D forums and there are many people who aren't quite happy with what they are getting there.
There isn't really a current (action) space sim that could really be considered a spiritual successor to the Wing Commanders, FreeSpace or the whole X-Wing/TIE saga.
It would definitely be worth a shot IMHO. More worthy at least than this me-too-Descent-Underground-clone which was destined to fail when looking at how the DU campaign went.
Well, or maybe it won't fail if the devs do the same as DU and help their own game over the finishing line. Guess we'll see in about 70 hours.

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers
7. Re: New GeForce Drivers Mar 8, 2016, 00:33 CJ_Parker

Sempai wrote on Mar 8, 2016, 00:08:
What's DDU?

Driver Destroyer something... for completely wiping the driver but according to nVidia support it should be enough to just select 'clean install' during the installation.

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4054

^ which by the way you should be doing for every single driver update all of the time (IMO) ... I do it every time and have never had a driver issue worth mentioning. Clean is the way to go. Always.

5. Re: OVERLOAD Teaser Demo Mar 7, 2016, 23:24 CJ_Parker

Haha ReadyMan and Outrider... Rank: Suspect.

Indeed!

Ahem, well, good luck you guys. You're gonna need it!

News Comments > Sniper Elite 4 Announced
1. Re: Sniper Elite 4 Announced Mar 7, 2016, 21:17 CJ_Parker

Haha that market square at 00:20 could be straight from cs_italy  

1. Re: OVERLOAD Teaser Demo Mar 7, 2016, 21:14 CJ_Parker

Yup. Campaign went as expected and predicted by uncle CJ. I still don't get why these guys pitched a Descent remake after how the Descent Underground campaign just barely made it (with help from their own devs most likely) after getting massive support from SC backers and WingMan, Rob Irving, Mike Morlan fans. It never would have made it otherwise and probably would have stalled at a similar point as OVERLOAD.

If I had to give those guys some advice: Come back and pitch a proper FreeSpace sequel. Nothing retarded like Star Citizen. Just a good old classic space sim that focuses on the single player campaign and the core space sim gameplay of yore (with a more arcade flight model that mimics pseudo-atmospheric flight instead of SC's retarded "newtonian" strafe-wars "flight model"... using that term very loosely w/ regard to SC).

Alternatively, pitch a good old classic flight sim. That hasn't really been done yet properly either. Something along the lines of either European Air War, Aces of the Pacific or the Jane's sims or maybe even a story-driven sim like Strike Commander/Pacific Strike which has never really been done ever again since those days.

News Comments > Overwatch May Dates Leaked?
11. Re: Overwatch May Dates Leaked? Mar 7, 2016, 13:43 CJ_Parker

descender wrote on Mar 7, 2016, 13:38:
$40 well worth it, if only to keep the F2P kiddies out.

I'm not so sure what's worse... the F2P kiddies or the kiddies who feel super-entitled because they spent more than $1 on a game. Either way, this is definitely a game for ADHD Blizz fantard kiddies so I'm out.

News Comments > Overwatch May Dates Leaked?
7. Re: Overwatch May Dates Leaked? Mar 7, 2016, 13:15 CJ_Parker

InBlack wrote on Mar 7, 2016, 12:29:
At this point? Who gives a shit? I was pretty disappointed when they announced that it's not going to be a F2P game, and will probably still feature a massive amount of DLC. This is another Brink in the making, except everyone will bend over and take it like they like it, because it's Blizzard.

^ this + 1

News Comments > Fable Legends Cancelled; Lionhead May Close
10. Re: Fable Legends Cancelled; Lionhead May Close Mar 7, 2016, 13:14 CJ_Parker

Microsoft competence at its finest.  

News Comments > Hitman DirectX 12 Support
30. Re: Hitman DirectX 12 Support Mar 6, 2016, 17:59 CJ_Parker

NewMaxx wrote on Mar 6, 2016, 15:35:
CJ_Parker wrote on Mar 5, 2016, 19:40:
I'm inclined to believe that AMD will generally benefit a lot from games that use AC (and Hitman is certainly not a "Mantle showcase").

You do realize that Absolution was a "Gaming Evolved" title, right? The new game is, too. If NVIDIA claimed something like this with a GameWorks title you guys would be jumping all over it within a nanosecond.

Mantle unequals Gaming Evolved. And I'm really just going by what the news post is saying which is...

Asynchronous compute on AMD cards for significant performance gains

^ This is guaranteed to be true since AotS has shown that AMD benefits massively from a proper AC implementation. nVidia's driver implementation for AC that they promised months ago (September 2015) is still MIA.
Whether there are going to be additional AMD optimizations as a part of the Gaming Evolved program... *shrug*... maybe... probably, yes, but the focus in this discussion here was on AMD vs. nVidia and how nVidia has really dropped the ball with regard to AC support in several DirectX 12 titles (AotS, Hitman, Fable Legends and most likely more to come). It is past high time that they deliver their AC-enabling driver to put AMD back where they belong (see DirectX 11 game benchmarks).

By the way, I personally don't give a f00k. I'm not really interested in any of the DirectX 12 games that have been announced or are available right now. When DirectX 12 becomes relevant to me personally then I will have long upgraded to nV Pascal which I'm sure will properly support AC out of the gate.

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
1. Re: Sunday Consolidation Mar 6, 2016, 15:26 CJ_Parker

No, you should not. You should take your Xbone out in the backyard, practice your shooting skills, then walk over to the trash can, dump it inside, close the lid and forget that piece of shit ever existed.

Seriously.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
12. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 6, 2016, 15:23 CJ_Parker

Creston wrote on Mar 6, 2016, 15:06:
CJ_Parker wrote on Mar 6, 2016, 13:14:
InBlack wrote on Mar 6, 2016, 13:09:
Skyrim modding taken to an extreme. Not related to this list but still....mind fully blown:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PewuaPKnhnc

Yepyep. They are really good with the whole art shebang but they have barely shown any content so far. Lots of very pretty trailers, no doubt, but where are the NPCs, where is the dialogue, where are the quests, where is the AI, where is the story implementation? Awesome art does not a game make.
I wish them the best of luck though. Could be really, really, really mind-blowing IF they ever get to finish it all this lifetime.

You realize you're free to sign up to help, right? In fact, they are continuously calling out for people to help because they honestly have let their project run away from them. They are basically just making an entirely new game at this point.

You don't want me to "help" them. Trust me. Especially not in the areas that require scripting or coding or art skills. It would delay the project by years because someone would have to clean up after me all the time .

I wish Bethesda would just offer them a job, take the project in-house, and release it as a Morrowind HD remake. I'd gladly pay 40 bucks for it, because it looks awesome.

True that. Well, I wouldn't cough up $40 but get it on sale for $10 or so but this is definitely something Bethesda should consider. But Beth probably know exactly what a mountain of work it will be to port the actual content to the Skyrim engine compared to "only" making pretty art so that might be a major factor holding them back.

9. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 6, 2016, 14:34 CJ_Parker

I'm not exactly a FC fan but Primal lets you have your own predator kitty like a black panther or a jaguar which is the pinnacle of awesome sauce to me so I'm definitely gonna get this when it goes on a $4.99 sale one day.  

3. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 6, 2016, 13:14 CJ_Parker

InBlack wrote on Mar 6, 2016, 13:09:
Skyrim modding taken to an extreme. Not related to this list but still....mind fully blown:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PewuaPKnhnc

Yepyep. They are really good with the whole art shebang but they have barely shown any content so far. Lots of very pretty trailers, no doubt, but where are the NPCs, where is the dialogue, where are the quests, where is the AI, where is the story implementation? Awesome art does not a game make.
I wish them the best of luck though. Could be really, really, really mind-blowing IF they ever get to finish it all this lifetime.

3426 Comments. 172 pages. Viewing page 29.
< Newer [ 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo