Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 07/23

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Daniel

Real Name Daniel   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname CJ_Parker
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2006, 23:49
Total Comments 3235 (Veteran)
User ID 24408

User comment history
< Newer [ 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Previews
10. Re: Saturday Previews Jan 10, 2016, 18:47 CJ_Parker

I have zero interest in this garbage. Doom was tons of fun back in the day because there wasn't anything like it. But ever since the arrival of story-driven shooters like Half-Life, Deus Ex, F.E.A.R or the Wolfensteins (RtCW and later), I haven't looked back.

Doom 3 BFG was a boring, lame-ass, repetitive monster grinder.
Thanks but no thanks, id. You can shove your pointless and brainless Beavis & Butthead "uhhhhuhuhuhuhuuuh duuuuudddeeee I just killed a monster, like, with a chainsaw duuude huhuhuhhhuuuuhhuhuhuhh" shooter where the fuckin' sun don't shine.

If I want to play a shooter just for the hilarity of shooting's sake then I'll go all out mad like Serious Sam or FC3 Blood Dragon or stuff like that which are much better options these days. Doom has become complete trash. It's taking itself way too seriously for what it really is. It needs to evolve BIG TIME or die. With what they have shown so far it looks like they want to help the latter. Fine with me. It won't be missed.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
4. Re: Saturday Mobilization Jan 9, 2016, 22:29 CJ_Parker

Dude, the burn-in is kinda fixed already. The Dell 30" OLED monitor they presented at CES has a pixel shifting technology where the image gets shifted by one pixel every now and then (supposed to be unnoticeable).
I guess we will have to wait for reviews (the display will be out by the end of March for $4,999) but they seem to be on track to get a grip on the issue.

Besides, anyone who leaves their screen (no matter if OLED or LCD or whatever) running for days without a screensaver or a sleep function is a dumbfuck who deserves the word DUMBFUCK to get burnt right into the middle of the fucking screen so it works like a reminder.

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
2. Re: Saturday Mobilization Jan 9, 2016, 20:14 CJ_Parker

jdreyer wrote on Jan 9, 2016, 19:28:
Yeah, looking forward to when OLED monitors are ubiquitous and reasonably priced.

w3rd

Near zero latency, 32"+, FreeSync/G-Sync @ 30Hz to 165Hz, 1440p/2160p, 10-bit color, super-high OLED contrast ... bring this shit on!

But I'm afraid that it will be 2018 or even later before we will see displays with such specs at <$1,000

News Comments > Game Reviews
1. Re: Game Reviews Jan 9, 2016, 14:19 CJ_Parker

Refreshing to see a more honest take on RotTR instead of the paid-by-Microsoft 10/10 gushing reviews.  

News Comments > Half-Life Writer Marc Laidlaw Leaves Valve [Updated]
43. Re: Half-Life Writer Marc Laidlaw Leaves Valve? Jan 8, 2016, 20:41 CJ_Parker

Sepharo wrote on Jan 8, 2016, 20:15:
Timmeh wrote on Jan 8, 2016, 16:21:
Inventing the worlds first digital content delivery service that changed the world is not hard work?

I guess you qualified it with "that changed the world" but Stardock would still be upset to hear "the world's first digital content delivery service" applied to Steam.

Yeah it is extremely silly to give Valve that sort of credit. Must be the millennial kiddies who don't know better. There have been plenty of content delivery services or downloaders before the advent of the initially VERY shitty Steam.

Valve did a good job of convincing other publishers to publish via Steam and that's how Steam became a pretty big deal when those other publishers thought PC gaming was dying anyway (not unjustified... Ubi made less than 10% of their revenue on PC back then) and initially did not want to invest in their own infrastructure.

But Valve definitely did not pioneer digital content delivery. LMAO. Every single MMO that came before Steam had digital content delivery, Napster had P2P content delivery, Battle.net was a thing back then already and so on and so on.
Valve fanbois are almost as bad as Star Citizen cultists "OMGOMG it's NEVER been done BEFORE!!! OMGOMG Gabe is soooo awesome!!!!11".

Yeah. Pathetic.

News Comments > Far Cry Primal Gameplay Video
1. Re: Far Cry Primal Gameplay Video Jan 8, 2016, 20:11 CJ_Parker

HAHAHA the fat bearded guy starting at 12:41 is literally a mouthbreather. LOL. What a Beavis!  

News Comments > etc.
18. Re: etc. Jan 8, 2016, 20:06 CJ_Parker

Quboid wrote on Jan 8, 2016, 19:24:
I can easily believe that their moderators are overly partisan given how passionate some people get about Star Citizen but it's a commercial operation and if you walk into a shop and endlessly complain loudly (or insult other customers, CJ) you should probably expect security to ask you to leave even if you're a customer.

How is "white knight" an insult? All I posted was something like "good to see the white knights have arrived to save the day" or something harmless like that and *whammo* temp ban from the forums for 48 hours or whatever it was.

Then after my ban was lifted, a couple of days later I came across a thread where a subscriber cultist posted something like "the haters are fucking morons". I don't remember the exact insult but I know 100% that there was an f-bomb involved (he could have also said fuckwads, fuckwits... I don't remember). He was generally very aggressive in his replies to people in that thread. This wasn't the only insult. It was only the most offensive one.
So I reported the post and bookmarked the guy's profile to check back for the next few days whether he would be put on probation.
Bingo. You guessed right. Absolutely nothing happened to the guy and not even his posts got deleted. Nothing. Zilch. Nada.
Apparently cultists and subscribers have special privileges when it comes to offending other posters.

Anyone who is a regular to CIG forums knows that's how they run things over there. The moderators are the most hardcore of the cultists and immediately get a super-stiffy when someone dares as much as sneeze in the general direction of SC or CIG.
I have all but stopped posting there because what's the point if all you're allowed to post is "wow", "thanks" and "good job"? And I do not want to be permabanned. If you get temp banned a few times in a row for harmless stuff you will get sacked eventually.

Oh well, their moderation policies are costing them real money in my case. It has only reinforced my intention to never give a dime to these fucktards ever again (except for finished playable content like a new episode of S42 when it's actually out and patched and discounted but screw pledging or advance payments for anything).

News Comments > etc.
14. Re: etc. Jan 8, 2016, 15:03 CJ_Parker

Verno wrote on Jan 8, 2016, 14:18:
"Started to associate with The Something Awful Forums including such antagonists as Derek Smart". Hahaha what the fuck ever. I guess she doesn't remember who came up with the Desktop Commander bit.

It sounds more like these guys just can't handle criticism, there are a bunch of Star Citizen backers on SA and like here there are a bunch of people critical of the project too. What a dumb comment. "Disparage the Star Citizen" yeah how dare anyone disparage the almighty Star Citizen Rolleyes

Very true. At the official forums they opened a "Concern" subforum for critical posts which is effectively a trash can. Everything that is not "Thank you CIG" or "You guys are so awesome" gets either deleted immediately, locked or moved to the trash forum.
They are not interested in criticism. Critics get silenced immediately, either through official means (moderators) or they are shouted down by the rabid cultist white knights.

I have gotten temp bans myself for completely ridiculous crap like simply stating that the white knights have appeared in a thread. The reasoning for the ban was that you are not allowed to demean an entire group of backers by calling them "white knight".
But guess what happens if someone calls people "haters" or black knights? Right. Nothing, of course. "Demeaning an entire group of backers" is only bad if it is directed against the cult.
CIG are complete NAZIs about their forums and community.
Fuck those guys, especially Lead Moderator (or whatever the fuck his official title is these days) Toast and his cronies. Bunch of assholes.

News Comments > Half-Life Writer Marc Laidlaw Leaves Valve [Updated]
22. Re: Half-Life Writer Marc Laidlaw Leaves Valve? Jan 8, 2016, 14:39 CJ_Parker

AngelicPenguin wrote on Jan 8, 2016, 14:20:
I don't even know what I'd want to see in a Half Life 3 to be honest. It's not like the story was super compelling so I feel like I really need to have an ending.

^ this

There isn't enough yawning in the world to do HL justice. Fuck this overrated garbage and let it die.

News Comments > EVE: Valkyrie Testing This Month
5. Re: EVE: Valkyrie Testing This Month Jan 6, 2016, 21:09 CJ_Parker

DangerDog wrote on Jan 6, 2016, 21:05:
CJ_Parker wrote on Jan 6, 2016, 20:48:
This bitch better be good. Star Citizen is gonna take ages, Elite: Dangerous is decent but not exactly a space combat sim so it is high time that at least one studio delivers some awesome sauce space action.

This game makes Elite Dangerous look like a hard core DCS flight simulator.

This is nothing more than Call of Duty in space, you don't even get free look with the VR headset but instead it's used to track your lock-on weapon systems. That's not to say that the game may be fun but if you're expecting "Freespace" type game ... not exactly.

Uggghhhh...

Thanks for the warning.

*scratches EVE: Valkyrie off list of games to keep an eye on*

News Comments > Oculus Rift Preorders Won't Sell Out, No Charge Until Release
41. Re: Oculus Rift Preorders Won't Sell Out, No Charge Until Release Jan 6, 2016, 21:06 CJ_Parker

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jan 6, 2016, 15:23:
The HTC Vive is looking much better. The new version now has a camera on the front and allows you to see the environment around you, which is the killer feature. The updated controllers look dramatically better as well.

I really hope the HTC Vive comes in at a sensible price, as I'd much rather support HTC than a company like Facebook.

That camera is a very nice and clever feature indeed as long as they swear with one hand on the bible and the other on their grandma's grave that the camera image is not live wired to a HTC/Steam/Valve server. But the REAL KILLER FEATURE is in fact NO FACEBOOK .

Fuck Suckerjerk. For me to even consider the Oculus it would have to be technically superior by several magnitudes, cheaper, better, faster, longer, wider, better pr0n, everything. I'm not a big fan of the forced Steam crap either but in this case it is definitely the lesser evil. Quite sad that there does not seem to be a (serious) independent competitor (who of course could still have optional Steam support or support for an open standard also supported by Steam etc.).

News Comments > EVE: Valkyrie Testing This Month
3. Re: EVE: Valkyrie Testing This Month Jan 6, 2016, 20:48 CJ_Parker

This bitch better be good. Star Citizen is gonna take ages, Elite: Dangerous is decent but not exactly a space combat sim so it is high time that at least one studio delivers some awesome sauce space action.  

News Comments > Free Retail Unit for Oculus Rift Backers
7. Re: Free Retail Unit for Oculus Rift Backers Jan 5, 2016, 23:41 CJ_Parker

NKD wrote on Jan 5, 2016, 22:49:
Some napkin math suggests this is around 7000 free Rifts being given away. Depending on the retail price they announce tomorrow, that's probably a total retail value higher than the total amount they made from their initial Kickstarter.

That's still not even pocket change for Suckerjerk.

News Comments > Torment: Tides of Numenera Beta & Early Access This Month
4. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Beta & Early Access This Month Jan 5, 2016, 22:41 CJ_Parker

Everything they've shown so far looked like complete garbage. A super-intrusive UI, even worse than the Infinishitty engine, bland and sterile environments completely devoid of attention to detail and massive unstructured walls of text (yes, sort of a Torment trademark but this should be presented in a much better and modernized format).

So I'm not holding my breath, even though I'm in it at CE level (or a little beyond that even).

Ah well, I guess I'll see in 11 days whether the fears of a massive fuck-up are justified or not.

News Comments > PC Rise of the Tomb Raider on January 28
18. Re: PC Rise of the Tomb Raider on January 28 Jan 5, 2016, 16:32 CJ_Parker

Jerykk wrote on Jan 5, 2016, 15:55:
Sigh.

1) This is not a Windows 10 exclusive.
2) MS has nothing to do with the PC version. It is being published by Square.

Research. It is a good thing to do.

ad 1) I did not say it's a Win 10 exclusive. It is obviously a (timed) Shitbox exclusive, however.

ad 2) MS has nothing to do with the PC version? Right. Except for paying off Squeenix to keep it Shitbox exclusive for a couple months. Also, MS always has something to do with every single Windows-PC release by default since they are the platform holder so unless a game is a Mac or Linux exclusive then MS is always involved in every PC release.

So you might want to take your own advice re the whole research stuff...

News Comments > PC Rise of the Tomb Raider on January 28
13. Re: PC Rise of the Tomb Raider on January 28 Jan 5, 2016, 15:47 CJ_Parker

The exclusivity bullshit should not be rewarded. If the platform holder (Microsoft) shows that little respect for their very own Windows-PC customers then they do not deserve to be rewarded with a preorder or anywhere near full price purchase for their sleazy, treacherous, backstabbing asshole ways.

But I know I'm preaching to the choir. Y'all rushed head over heels to buy GTA V when it finally became available for PC so go right ahead and preorder RotTR as fast as you can. It will really help PC gaming if you do so and we will be rewarded with more great console exclusivity deals in the future. It's going to be totally awesome!

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Egypt Setting Rumored
24. Re: Assassin's Creed Egypt Setting Rumored Jan 5, 2016, 15:41 CJ_Parker

SXO wrote on Jan 5, 2016, 10:12:
People can complain about Unity all they want, but you've been playing the games since the first you would have noticed the dropoff in quality right after the second. And when the third came out, that signaled them not even caring anymore, it was just a factory product assembled together to milk the coffers of the fans who still had hope.

I agree that AC2 was the best early game but Revelations and Brotherhood were not *that* far behind. AC3 was a turd but they came back with a vengeance with AC4 Black Flag. That game is truly great and easily on the same level as AC2.

I've only just started Rogue and haven't played Unity or Syndicate yet so can't speak for those but if you have quit the series after AC3 then you have quit one game too early because Black Flag is really good.

Anyway, there is quite a bit of up and down in the series. It is not true IMO that the series has gotten progressively worse. For me it's more like this: AC4 > AC2 > Rogue > Revelations > Brotherhood > AC3 > AC1.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Egypt Setting Rumored
16. Re: Assassin's Creed Egypt Setting Rumored Jan 4, 2016, 23:42 CJ_Parker

Creston wrote on Jan 4, 2016, 22:39:
Yeah, I never had much of a problem with the Desmond stuff. Especially in AC3, where he actually goes on missions and you DID stuff with him, it was pretty enjoyable.

I agree with that. I also liked the other characters quite a bit. Lucy was smart and sexy, Rebecca was fun and Shaun was a riot (the voice actor is a British comedian after all). Heck, even Desmond's dad was OK, too.
It's actually a bit of a pity that just when it all started working out much better with the real world plot that they decided to kill off Lucy and finally Desmond. Very anti-climactic... and quite disappointing how they continued/abandoned it in AC4 but at least it had an enjoyable Shaun cameo, albeit way too short and little.

As for this new series, this could become quite interesting if the Rome/Greece parts would be based on the famous Aeneas saga (Battle of Troy, Carthage and so on...).

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 4, 2016, 20:29 CJ_Parker

OK, listen the fuck up, Suckerjerk:

- Female
- Slim
- Blonde (with the option to change hair color at will)
- Age 25 to 30
- Non-smoker/drinker
- Favors skimpy clothing
- 96/60/90 (natural titties)
- Willing and able to fuck 24/7

That is all. Make it happen. Pronto.

kthxbai,

your bro C.J.

News Comments > Oculus Rift Preorders Wednesday
33. Re: Oculus Rift Preorders Wednesday Jan 4, 2016, 20:16 CJ_Parker

bigspender wrote on Jan 4, 2016, 17:58:
I have a feeling that Eve Valkyrie is going to make people feel very sick with all of that spinning and looping, with no clear indication of up and down.

Nah. Space games should actually be pretty easy on the stomach. You have no horizon in space so spinning, looping is really not much of an issue. Not knowing where up and down is, actually helps in avoiding motion sickness.

The much larger issues arise in e.g. flight sims when you have a horizon and your eyes and brain register where up and down is (and left and right) relatively to the horizon line. The problem is your eyes and brain say you're flying upside down or in a steep dive but your body is not reacting accordingly.

In space, however, there is no such thing as a deep dive. You can "dive" away into the black wide open in any direction. As long as there isn't a clear plane of reference that gives your eyes and brain a sense of a horizon, then space games should be among the best suited games for VR by far.

3235 Comments. 162 pages. Viewing page 28.
< Newer [ 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo