Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 08/21

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Daniel

Real Name Daniel   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname CJ_Parker
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2006, 23:49
Total Comments 3248 (Veteran)
User ID 24408

User comment history
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam VR Performance Test Teases Us
1. Re: Steam VR Performance Test Teases Us Feb 22, 2016, 20:56 CJ_Parker

Hahahaha yeah like I'm really gonna run your fucking spyware, Valve. Nice try though!  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Interviews
3. Re: Matt Chat 328- Rob Irving Strikes Back Feb 22, 2016, 13:20 CJ_Parker

Awesome. Strike Commander (and its sibling Pacific Strike) was definitely among the very best crème de la crème games of the 1990s.
And Rob is just a fun, goofy guy, although I have some fears that parts of his goofiness might be related to certain... substances...

News Comments > HTC Vive in April for $799
63. Re: HTC Vive in April for $799 Feb 22, 2016, 06:01 CJ_Parker

InBlack wrote on Feb 22, 2016, 04:34:
Kxmode wrote on Feb 21, 2016, 17:30:
McTurbo wrote on Feb 21, 2016, 17:13:
Some of you have forgotten or were not around when 3DFX launched.. an entire industry exists and todays console and pc market owes its current existance to one decision. .to launch the 3DFX card on the popularity of one game.. quake 1.. the jump from software to 3d graphics simply shocked people with how good it was.. so until we have all experianced an oculus or vive and seen VR for ourselves.. all you are doing is spouting your ignorance and claiming it as fact.

Precisely. What you're describing is a killer app. Sonic the Hedgehog was the killer app for Genesis. Halo for the Xbox. Myst for the CD-ROM. Final Fantasy 7 For the PlayStation. VR needs a killer app. At the moment NOTHING exists.

Have you played DCS? Or Projet Cars?

Dude, let's keep it realistic. While Project Cars might stand a tiny little better chance to become a "killer app" than DCS, none of those games really qualify. You do need a certain level of mass appeal which all of the mentioned games by Kxmode did have (although I would personally put Rebel Assault as the CD-ROM killer app instead of Myst but both games drove CD-ROM sales quite a bit so it's kind of semantics).

No. For a killer app, VR needs something new with mainstream appeal or a popular established franchise with very strong and convincing VR support. Project Cars and DCS with VR might be sim heaven for hardcore simmers but that's where it ends unfortunately.

News Comments > HTC Vive in April for $799
25. Re: HTC Vive in April for $799 Feb 21, 2016, 16:08 CJ_Parker

I'd love to get a Vive for Elite: Dangerous (and other supported sims) but not at that price. Wake me up when a future Vive 2 or 3 is available for about €300 max. The tech needs to mature anyway and we need faster GPUs to get the full potential out of these things so I can wait easily.

That is, IF VR even survives that long. It's not the first time this fad has died. Those who are old enough will probably remember the fledgling attempts in the 1990s that crashed and burned.
Or... who is even still talking about stereoscopic 3D or Surround gaming? Right. No one. VR might slip into the same total niche obscurity in a very similar manner pretty fast.

News Comments > EA Asks About Interest in Dragon Age Tactics
7. Re: EA Asks About Interest in Dragon Age Tactics Feb 20, 2016, 14:39 CJ_Parker

Redmask wrote on Feb 20, 2016, 13:57:
How about just another Dragon Age game like the first one? That's all many people have ever wanted and Bioware has continually failed to deliver.

^ this

RPG, please, and no problem with turn-based combat. A Dragon Age game that plays kind of like Divinity Original Sin would be fine with me.

News Comments > Gone Gold - Quantum Break
8. Re: Gone Gold - Quantum Break Feb 20, 2016, 05:43 CJ_Parker

jdreyer wrote on Feb 20, 2016, 02:51:
SlimRam wrote on Feb 19, 2016, 23:23:
The premise for this is neat. I don't know if it's something i'd be interested in playing (or watching as it were), but kudos to them for trying something different.

I don't know anything about this. Is it a long-awaited sequel to Quantum Leap?

Nope. It's the James Bond Quantum Solace prequel actually!

News Comments > Master of Orion Early Access Next Week; Voice Cast Detailed
1. Re: Master of Orion Early Access Next Week; Voice Cast Detailed Feb 18, 2016, 10:32 CJ_Parker

Yawn. Needs a more fuckable cast.  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
5. Re: Evening Tech Bits Feb 18, 2016, 07:31 CJ_Parker

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Feb 17, 2016, 23:23:
Fantaz wrote on Feb 17, 2016, 22:08:
what would you guys say about buying Nvidia stock? i am thinking about getting some shares

I've been thinking the same lately, and intel too. Theyre two powerhouses that aren't going away anytime soon and seem to consistently push the envelope for PC's

People also have been warning me about staying away from stocks lately because of another crash on the horizon, but I dont know how to take that advice.. on one hand people are still shaken up by the recent crash, but there is some validity to the concern about the at-times meteoric rise since then too.

I wouldn't invest in tech stocks like Intel or nV at the moment. They are notorious for mostly moving sideways and you need excellent timing to buy low and sell high.
They also pay no dividend worth mentioning so you rely on the stock price alone.
BTW: The best US dividend stock IMHO is AT&T which are a very stable stock but you get a nice quarterly dividend that reflects a ~5% annual dividend.

The world is moving towards a potential recession right now due to various factors like an economic cooldown in China, low oil prices (hurting oil exporting countries massively) and the rising US prime rates (hurting the same oil exporting countries even more because of their debts).
Then add to this Russia and the new cold war, IS, North Korea vs South Korea, China's expansion in the South China sea, a possible Brexit or -worst case- the EU falling apart more or less entirely and you have a shitload of problems on the mid-term horizon.

Tech companies will be hit hard because in times of economic uncertainty who will upgrade their IT infrastructure? Right. No one. There will be other priorities.

So if you want to invest in the stock market at all right now, then you should look into blue chips with high dividend yields that -ideally- do not depend so much on the state of the overall economy (like AT&T or GM or many European (re-)insurance companies which often have dividend yields of 4.5% up to 6%).

Just my 2c

News Comments > Tom Clancy's The Division Open Beta Trailer
3. Re: Tom Clancy's The Division Open Beta Trailer Feb 17, 2016, 15:42 CJ_Parker

Closed beta was garbage. Now they're gonna open the garbage can so everyone can see the stinking, rotten feces inside. Awesome.

Oh, and no surprise that the chief garbage munchers from Microsoft are all over this shit. They live and breathe garbage like the fucking bacteria they are.

News Comments > German Fallout 3 Ban Lifted
8. Re: German Fallout 3 Ban Lifted Feb 17, 2016, 05:49 CJ_Parker

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 17, 2016, 03:31:
This is the kind of situation we are in in Germany. The problem isn't crime from refugees or illegals or the housing or the jobs, or even the costs, it's that feeling that as German you are slowly losing what makes Germany German. Now there is a chance nobody around you speaks German anymore

Yep. This is very true, but to be fair, at least here in Southern Germany I have felt like this for a few years already, i.e. even before the refugee invasion.
When you are walking through the streets here, it has become rare to hear someone speak in actual German.
We have many, many Russian (or CIS folks), Romanian, generally Eastern European, Yugoslavian, Italians, Spaniards (Spain has ~50% youth unemployment so lots of young Spanish people came here in the last couple of years) and so on and so on around here.

The refugee invasion is only exacerbating the effect of feeling like a foreigner in your own country. It is only a matter of time until they will take over. More than 16 million "Germans" have a migration background already and this number does not include the second generation, i.e. people who are counted as "true" Germans (like Turks born and raised in Germany). If you include those people as much as 50% of the population are estimated to have a migration background.

And then there is the simple truth that women with a migration background give birth to 3.x children on average while German women give birth to 1.x children on average. The writing is on the wall. In huge letters.

Merkel is completely fucking batshit crazy. That dumb bitch is flushing our country down the toilet (even faster than it already did) with her retarded dumbass politics. Irreversible damage has already been done. We can only hope that someone is going to be able to somewhat contain it, but realistically speaking, Germany is fucking doomed.

A downwards spiral that will only accelerate the more refugees get here (still over 2K every single day and it's winter!) and the more the problems inside the EU are ignored like the above mentioned youth unemployment in countries like Spain, Italy and France.

Instead of inviting millions of refugees, Merkel should have taken care of Germans first, EU citizens second, European citizens (EU aspirants) third and then, only then, maybe consider accepting a certain contingency of Syrian refugees with a very clear TEMPORARY shelter policy. Instead she invited them all and promised them that they could stay if they want to. The more, the merrier etc. ... as I said... BATFUCKINGSHIT.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
20. Re: Evening Interviews Feb 16, 2016, 15:27 CJ_Parker

OK but who says that a BG3 would have to be 5E? You doubted that Beamdog would ever get the license for BG3 (you did not specify that you meant 5E in your original post). But I would say that it is entirely possible if they deliver good work with Siege of Dragonspear. They are the only developer who has worked on BG since 2002 so why shouldn't they possibly be the ones to make a sequel (5E or not)? One could even argue that SoD kind of *is* Baldur's Gate 3.  

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers
9. Re: New GeForce Drivers Feb 16, 2016, 14:54 CJ_Parker

descender wrote on Feb 16, 2016, 13:52:
You seemingly want to (have to?) believe that what you bought was necessary to justify the amount of money you spent on hardware that will be outclassed within a year by DX12 hardware. Really not a brilliant purchasing decision there... LOL ;p

Uuuhh what the hell are you even talking about? I bought my GTX 980 in January 2015 and it has already lasted a lot longer than I thought. I replace my graphics card just about every generation (depending on the performance boost).

I will replace it as soon as the first Pascal boards are out. It's a scheduled upgrade for me already. I'm not a retard who buys a GPU and hangs on to it like a tard for three, four, five years until its value has dropped to zero or it breaks.

I paid about €560 for my GTX 980. When I sell it for Pascal, I will probably make about €250 to €300 (it's a nice and silent MSI so good value) and then buy a new Pascal for about the same €500 to €600 (less would always be welcome, of course).

If you upgrade frequently, resell and do it smart, you will actually spend less than a tard who buys a $1K Titan for five years plus on top of it you will always have current hardware instead of hanging on to ancient tech just to "justify" something as you put it. That's how morons do it but not me.

You can spend a few hundred dollars every year for the difference from high to ultra (and like 10FPS), that's what you decide to do with your money.

It's not about FPS for me. It's about a quality experience. I have a pretty huge 32" display, 1440p and "only" 60Hz. It's all about graphical quality for me and I'm sorry if you're a blind mole but I can actually tell the difference between low, mid, high and ultra settings.
I don't really give a shit about performance as long as the game runs smooth and looks spectacular. You're making all kinds of wrong assumptions.

You are also sounding like one of those oppressed dudes who would get his dick cut off by his wifey if he spent money on his PC hobby. Or where is all that envy coming from?

18. Re: Evening Interviews Feb 16, 2016, 13:21 CJ_Parker

Well, that 2013 stuff is apparently obsolete because Beamdog is releasing the new Siege of Dragonspear expansion soon. If they were "stopped from touching D&D materials at all in June 2013" then that seems to have been of short effect. They obviously did resolve the "contractual issues" in the meantime or there wouldn't be a BG2EE and also no all new SoD expansion.  

6. Re: New GeForce Drivers Feb 16, 2016, 13:09 CJ_Parker

descender wrote on Feb 16, 2016, 12:02:
A 3GB GTX580 still runs every game at or near high settings.

Don't pretend that the hundreds of dollars you wasted on diminishing performance returns means that others have low standards. Most games run just fine without the GTX970 you were hyped into buying by poorly optimized PC ports like GTA5.

Again: You also have very low standards.

If you crank up the graphics all the way in modern games even if it's "only" 1080p then even a GTX 980Ti is not enough in many cases.
Proper AA modes (not garbage FXAA), tesselation, HBAO+, DSR downscaling, ultra textures, and all the bells and whistles can easily push a 980Ti to its limits, even more so if you play at 1440p, 2160p or maybe have a nice G-Sync display with up to 144/165Hz refresh rates.

There is a reason many enthusiasts, myself included, can not wait until we finally get out of this long ass 28nm planar silicon stagnation and nVidia delivers 16nm FinFET Pascal and AMD their 14nm FinFET Polaris GPUs. We will put that power to good use.
You plebeians go ahead and play everything at low settings with Xbone "quality" graphics, no problem, but please... stop pretending like you are even getting anywhere near the same experience .

P.S.: I, for one, still do not own GTA V, of course, because I have a spine and actual principles. I have kept my word not to reward those Rockstar fuckers with a purchase for their exclusivity bullshit and I intend on doing so until GTA V drops below $10 including all DLC. Finally, I have a GTX 980, not 970.

16. Re: Evening Interviews Feb 16, 2016, 10:44 CJ_Parker

rudra wrote on Feb 16, 2016, 07:58:
CJ_Parker wrote on Feb 15, 2016, 23:31:
How exactly is it "far out of reach" for them?

because Hasbro owns the D&D license.. im not talking about Obsidian or Black Isle here

maybe Im wrong, who knows.. Id figure its not easy to get, but maybe they are ready to whore it out to whoever

Not sure what you are talking about because Beamdog are knee deep in working on the Baldur's Gate license and working with D&D. As I said, they did both Enhanced Editions of BG1 and 2 and will be bringing out a new BG expansion (Siege of Dragonspear) in the near future.

You don't really get more hands-on with the license than these guys so I don't understand how you can say that the license is "far out of reach" for them when in reality they gotz their fucking paws right on top of it!

2. Re: New GeForce Drivers Feb 16, 2016, 10:39 CJ_Parker

Only if you have *very* low standards... like those console peasants!  

News Comments > OVERLOAD Multiplayer Plans
1. Re: OVERLOAD Multiplayer Plans Feb 16, 2016, 10:35 CJ_Parker

Hahaha this is becoming very reminiscent of the Descent Underground campaign except the other way around. Descent Underground had its focus on multiplayer and when the campaign ran kind of lackluster they started promising a single player campaign. These guys start off with single player and now add multiplayer in hopes to give the campaign some new momentum.

I have a really cool idea for the next Descent remake project: Why not promise single and multiplayer from the start next time? What a concept! I demand a Nobel prize for this revolutionary idea!

8. Re: Evening Interviews Feb 15, 2016, 23:31 CJ_Parker

rudra wrote on Feb 15, 2016, 22:46:
also im willing to bet the license is far out of reach for "beamdog" lol

Why? Baldur's Gate Siege of Dragonspear is a brand new expansion for Baldur's Gate in addition to the work Beamdog has done on both Enhanced Editions of Baldur's Gate 1 + 2.

So they have basically worked (or are still working with regard to SoD) on two legacy games of the "license" and one all new entry.

How exactly is it "far out of reach" for them?

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Feb 15, 2016, 10:33 CJ_Parker

Wow. That Samsung shit is in-fucking-sane. Welcome to 1984.  

News Comments > On DOOM's Campaign Length
31. Re: On DOOM's Campaign Length Feb 15, 2016, 04:12 CJ_Parker

Slick wrote on Feb 15, 2016, 01:21:
Fantaz wrote on Feb 15, 2016, 01:06:
when is iD going to get back to making Quake games?

I honestly found out that there was a Quake 4 like last year... apparently it was 2009 or some shit?

Quake 4 is much older, dude. 2005.

And we're talking about comparing the new DooM to a 14 year old game. You really so full of spite to hold a grudge 14 years? You don't think that they could (and seem to have delivered on, according to gameplay videos) pull out a win?

2002 was a long time ago champ.

I'm beginning to get the impression that you live in some alternate timeline, dude . Doom 3 is not 14 years old. It's a 2004 game.
2002 was the leak of the alpha (three levels that never made it into the game in that form, just segments of it).

And, yeah, I'm going to call a spade a spade. The game was garbage and id Software should have started to rethink the kind of games they want to make a long time ago.

Their early games were spectacular because Carmack is a fucking genius and wrote very impressive engines that worked magic for the whole 3D revolution.
id licensed their engines a lot, especially Q3A and many people, myself included, just bought their latest games because we wanted to see the latest spectacle (Q3A as a pure multiplayer game never interested me all that much but I bought it for the visuals).

That time has long gone. Doom 3 was decent looking for its time but it was no longer the fireworks as previous entries in id's line-up. It was generally a time when we started to get more open games instead of id's typical corridor levels.
It was also a time when story-driven shooters made id games look even more older. HL2 came out later in 2004 and ran circles around Doom 3's gameplay and plot.

Seriously, id needs to drop their old franchises or reboot them properly with actual story-driven campaigns. The pure crazy shooting has been done miles better by games like Serious Sam or Bulletstorm in the meantime. A game like Doom 3 is archaic and really has no place anymore since it is neither a competent run&gun game by today's standards nor a good story-driven experience.

Or id need to do what Epic did. They haven't released a new Unreal in centuries (with good reason because that franchise is in the same place as Doom or Quake, i.e. archaic and not necessarily worthy of a same-y sequel) but have turned their engine into a huge success. But with Carmack gone, I don't think that id has the brain power for that anymore.

TL;DR id Software need to reinvent themselves. Drop Doom. Drop Quake. They are archaic and have been left in the dust by better shooters with better stories and even better engines. Reboot everything.

This comment was edited on Feb 15, 2016, 04:30.

3248 Comments. 163 pages. Viewing page 23.
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo