Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Duffy

Real Name Duffy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname CJ_Parker
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2006, 23:49
Total Comments 4539 (Master)
User ID 24408

User comment history
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

News Comments > Sea of Thieves Planning Content Plans
17. Re: removed Apr 7, 2018, 05:25 CJ_Parker

Yeah, things aren't what they used to be anymore *sigh*. It wasn't even that bad... I've done worse Wink .

If anyone was wondering, and I'm sure MANY of you ARE wondering about the magnificent intellectual essay that was deleted here , well, it was just me wondering why people here are acting surprised.

Did anyone seriously expect competence from Microsoft out of all gigs? Like them handling the launch and add-on policy of a game in a competent fashion? Like seriously?
When was the last time (I mean after the invention of DirectX back in the mid 90s) that Microsoft did anything smart in gaming?
Right. We're talking non-existent. Blank. Zero. Nada. Zilch.

This is par for the course. This is exactly what to expect from MS if you have been paying attention to their gaming "efforts" in the last few years. This is actually comparatively competent because the game still exists, is not *completely* broken (yet) and the developer still exists as well. That's pretty impressive. For MS...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 6, 2018, 19:49 CJ_Parker

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 6, 2018, 10:04:
I like how Western Digital only now competes with NVME's... when everyone already has a Samsung SSD because Samsung, a core memory maker makes the best NVME's ;p

It's not surprising though that Samsung is a leading gig in that market, exactly because they are a "core memory maker" *.

A SSD is essentially nothing more than a bunch of memory cells with a specialized controller.
That's why all the (flash/NAND) memory makers like Micron or Samsung were among the first to release consumer SSDs instead of the HDD makers.
That you can store stuff on both technologies is just about the only link between SSD and HDD. Otherwise they're apples and oranges.

BTW, WD is still doing great with HDDs and they are probably earning more from selling one datacenter enterprise HDD than from selling ten consumer SSDs.
Datacenters require cheap bulk storage galore. That demand is not going anywhere and will continue to grow so WD hasn't been in a hurry to compete in the much lower margin and much less profitable consumer SSD business as we could see from their rather late (2016) acquisition of SanDisk.

WD are definitely doing fine after the consolidation in the HDD market and I would bet real money that, regardless of being competitors on paper, they are illegally price-fixing with Seagate to rule the HDD storage world as a duopoly.
It's pretty suspicious how the capacity growth has come to a crawl and how stable the prices for 6TB or 8TB drives have been in the last couple of years.

Finally, we'll have to see about the longer term reliability of the WD Black, of course, but WD is known for good QA.
I'd rather have a rock-solid NVMe SSD later rather than an early Samsung that has shitty firmware until the second or third firmware update, all the while being forced to pray that none of the updates brick the drive.
They seem to be pretty confident about their drive at WD: WD Black 600TBW vs. Samsung 960EVO 400TBW (1TB model) and WD offers a five year warranty vs. Samsung's three year warranty

* Well, not really if you look at their sales. Memory is the most profitable segment but it is by far not their biggest gross revenue sales segment.

News Comments > Sea of Thieves Planning Content Plans
11. removed Apr 6, 2018, 18:46 CJ_Parker

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Apr 6, 2018, 19:06.

News Comments > WBIE Hits on HITMAN
11. Re: WBIE Hits on HITMAN Apr 5, 2018, 06:04 CJ_Parker

Rilcon wrote on Apr 4, 2018, 17:05:
Those that don't and just play through twice, or even just once, are still getting a good game out of it.

See, that wasn't my impression at all from the F2P demo episode (I mean Episode 1 Paris). The mission was pretty short and easy in case you chose a straightforward route. Same for those prologue/tutorial missions with the yacht and the one with the fighter jet.

Of course you can do the challenges and make it more difficult and complex but then we are in that grindy repetitive loop of replaying the level over and over that I was talking about earlier.

I also got the impression that there is not really much of an overall plot. It felt tacked on like they did the individual levels first and then afterwards came up with a loose thread tying it all together.

So, while I applaud them for their masterful level design and choice-based gameplay, I guess it just isn't everyone's cup of tea.
I'll probably get the Definitive Edition (if they also release it on Steam as a replacement for the GOTY) one day for $9.99 or so just to play it once... maybe I'll even replay a level that I like in particular, but the general treadmill hamster wheel setup of the game that encourages replaying the levels over and over and over ad infinitum is kinda unappealing to me.

News Comments > WBIE Hits on HITMAN
6. Re: WBIE Hits on HITMAN Apr 4, 2018, 12:29 CJ_Parker

Jerykk wrote on Apr 4, 2018, 12:23:
Tipsy McStagger wrote on Apr 4, 2018, 10:49:
Always thought these games were quite lame and riddled with bugs that made them not that great.

You'd be in the minority. HITMAN 2016 was fantastic and easily my GotY.

Well, hamster wheel treadmill gaming is not everyone's cup of tea. I only played the free spring episode but I was less than impressed as well.

So the whole point of the game is to replay the same level(s) over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over trying different paths and costumes ...

Welp. Yawn. More power to anyone who is *that* fucking bored but it's definitely not for everyone. Many people like to finish a level and move on instead of playing hamster in a wheel with a game.

It had good gfx though.

News Comments > Ghost Recon Wildlands Year Two Content
7. Re: Ghost Recon Wildlands Year Two Content Apr 4, 2018, 11:47 CJ_Parker

JoeNapalm wrote on Apr 4, 2018, 10:06:
Where they dropped the ball on game design was the damn Tier One system. Not only is it stupid in concept (there are "Tier One" teams but no Tier 2 - 50...it's just an idiom) but is also the epitome of lazy-ass difficulty design. Making the game more difficult by allowing the AI to blatantly cheat isn't fun, and we've known that since the 80s.

The cheating AI is a little annoying, yes, but the bigger problem IMO is the "broken" progression (well, it is probably intentional to keep you interested in store items and loot boxes at all times).

If you move on to the (optional) tier system then many or most of the investments in your skills are voided because the game just gets progressively harder as well.

You can only enjoy the full power of a maxed out skill tree for a very short time if you play the game "properly" and the skills do not really make that much of a difference to begin with when you are playing on one of the two harder difficulty levels already.
The non-existing but pure make-believe progression is literally quite pointless.

The game is still oddly addictive. I 100%ed the main campaign map in solo and coop and am about 30% through Fallen Ghosts at just under Tier 20 or so. The best part for me is the stunning world design and the complete 360° horizontal and vertical freedom.

But fuck their lame season pass, this year 2 bullshit and their stupid Ghost War PvP focus. Ubi HQ must have gotten extra greedy after the success of milking the living fuck out of the Rainbow Six Siege cows... now trying to apply it to Wildlands as well.

3. Re: Ghost Recon Wildlands Year Two Content Apr 3, 2018, 21:53 CJ_Parker

I usually do the same and only buy their gold editions for a steep discount but Wildlands grabbed me when they had that second free trial so I bought it on sale for €29.
I definitely got my money's worth at about 120 hours in solo and coop and Fallen Ghosts was only €6 for me on sale.

However, one can never -NEVER- complain enough about shitty season pass ripoffs . Even more so when this whole new $30 season pass consists only of early access and lootboxes... I mean what the actual FUCK?

People on the Ubi forums have been begging for more campaign missions for solo and coop, i.e. additions to the main map, new regions, new bosses, maybe some new gadgets, weapons, mechanics... and then all they come up with is... this fucking travesty??

It just boggles the mind. They have really slam-dunked the cake with Wildlands:

- $60 base game
- $40 season pass with the shittiest value ever (Narco Road being crap and Fallen Ghosts more of the same but mediocre)
- Lootboxes in the form of "ghost crates"
- Microtransactions (items, cosmetics, unlocks etc.)
- In-game advertising for various fashion/outdoor gear brands

The monetization is completely out da azz already and then, after the shittiest season pass in gaming history, they have the guts to announce a fucking $30 lootbox pass for "season 2". Wow. Los cojones grandes on these Ubi fuckers.

1. Re: Ghost Recon Wildlands Year Two Content Apr 3, 2018, 20:23 CJ_Parker

Wow, another mega ripoff. As if the original season pass wasn't enough of a fucking scam already, they are now topping it with a $30 pure lootbox pass. Where the fuck is the real value in that shit???

And meh @ one more, like really ONE more, like ONE FULL campaign mission??? Wooooow.

If y'all charge $30 then do the ONE free campaign mission and then follow it up with something that feels like a proper add-on maybe? What a concept!

I really enjoyed the original game (single player and some coop... fuck Ghost War PvP lameness) but season pass buyers must be pissed off beyond recognition.

The pass was $40 and all they got was the craptastic Narco Road DLC and the more of the same Fallen Ghosts. I bought FG standalone for €6 and that's about what it was worth.

Asking $30 for a lootbox pass is pretty fucking insane. As an original season pass owner I'd probably be ready to drop bombs now. I hope against all hope that people will not fall for this shit.

Just about every other publisher (except Blizztard) appears to be backpedaling from loot boxes but, no, UbiShit needs to ignore the memo and keep pushing this shit, of course. Gnnnaaaahhhhhggggnnnnnn...

News Comments > Shadow of War Dropping Microtransactions
18. Re: Shadow of War Dropping Microtransactions Apr 3, 2018, 14:30 CJ_Parker

Quinn wrote on Apr 3, 2018, 12:35:
"We want to thank all idiots buying into this lootbox crap. Thanks to you, we made a few extra millions which was well worth ruining the core concept of the game. It's obvious by the numbers that you idiots have stopped playing and buying, so we'll now remove the lootboxes and fix the game so it plays as it was originally intended and use this fix as a PR stunt to draw in the players who haven't bought the game yet."

Fuck you. Anyone with an IQ above 85 read exactly that.

Well, anyone with an IQ over 85 (that would be fine folks like moi ) did not buy the game in the first place but either decided to give it a full pass or wait for the GOTY (which is yet to be released and I'll only grab it when it's <$10).

News Comments > SpyParty Steam Early Access Next Week
1. Re: SpyParty Steam Early Access Next Week Apr 3, 2018, 00:41 CJ_Parker

Ah SpyParty... must be a game about Spycrosoft, Google, Amazon and Fuckbook having a gangbang!  

News Comments > Red Faction Guerrilla Re-Mars-tered Edition Announced
19. Re: Red Faction Guerrilla Re-Mars-tered Edition Announced Mar 29, 2018, 17:56 CJ_Parker

According to IGN, Nordic has confirmed that it includes all DLC and that it will be a free upgrade for existing (Steam) owners.

I would guess this also means that they got all new DLC lined up to be released at a later date like the TQ Anniversary Ragnarök expansion.

News Comments > Far Cry 5 Released
53. Re: Far Cry 5 Released Mar 29, 2018, 04:14 CJ_Parker

Quboid wrote on Mar 28, 2018, 21:58:
Anyone else underwhelmed? I think there's way too much going on, I can't do anything without another damn patrol or animal attacking me. When I try to ambush a supply truck there will probably be a patrol on top of me before I've cleaned up. And another patrol before I've dispatched them. Then a cougar appears and now I'm out of ammo.

That can happen sometimes (plus plane spam!) but not very often in my experience. Have you gone to the Fall's End area first as Dutch suggested?

I would also suggest to liberate them outposts ASAP. You will have less enemy presence and more allies around the more of the land you conquer back (kinda like in Wildlands).

Finally, I'd recommend to put a focus on story missions first so you can get some helpful perks like additional weapon slots, the second companion etc., some of which require killing your first boss.

I'm playing on hard but funnily the hardest part so far was the action car chase sequence at the very start of the game. I must have had to retry that one a dozen times or more...

The second hardest thing was also very early on when liberating Fall's End but ever since then it's been mostly smooth sailing after I got a few perks like the health boost and upgraded my weapons (best available scope, bigger magazine, suppressor etc.).

There is the occasional spike in difficulty when they all gang up on you like you described and I also struggle a bit sometimes with the vehicle controls (especially planes) but it's actually easy and not hard at the moment.
We'll see how that develops in the next area. I'm done with Fall's End (only story, not side quests) and about to move on.

P.S.: You get a money bonus per finished side mission once you have liberated the Fall's End region so it is really best to progress in the story ASAP.
I'm also the kind of guy who usually saves up advancing the main plot for last but here it is actually counterproductive.

47. Re: Far Cry 5 Released Mar 28, 2018, 11:14 CJ_Parker

necrosis wrote on Mar 28, 2018, 11:01:
Beamer wrote on Mar 28, 2018, 09:00:
Also, pretty sure those movies were skippable after the first time you load.
Half ass skippable. Every game AT LEAST needs a config option or command line code to skip this bullshit.

Double clicking on a game icon the next thing you should see is the main menu.

Yes. And even though I ain't a huge Blizztard fan... credit where credit is due. At least when I last played SC2, it showed you the Blizz logo only the first time you launched the game and after that you'd get taken straight to the main menu. Exactly the way it should be. Why this has never become an industry standard is beyond me.

Of course UbiShit have really fucked up with FC5. You can not just delete/rename the movie files since they are apparently hard-coded into some other shit, no known ini tweaks or command line option, no nothing.

Sure, it's not a huge deal to hammer 'ESC' but it's still a nuisance and leaves an entirely avoidable bad impression on Ubi and the game. Sometimes it's the little details that make the difference between the impression of a quality developer or fucking amateurs who apparently don't give a shit about their customers.

41. Re: Far Cry 5 Released Mar 28, 2018, 03:49 CJ_Parker

necrosis wrote on Mar 28, 2018, 00:19:
- Unskippable opening videos.
- Unskippable in game videos/cutscenes.
- No quicksave.
- One save slot.
- No reloading back saves if you want to try something different when attacking a base.
- Nasty bug where the game sets your mic to 100% in windows blowing out the eardrums of other people on discord.
- Idiotic co-op progression. If you are the 'guest' your progress/unlocks do not save.

This feels like shitty console bullshit shoved down our throats liek games from around 2005.

Agree with the save bullshit but if you hold down 'ESC' you can skip videos and cutscenes and the opening splash screens also go away very quickly if you hammer the 'ESC' key.

News Comments > Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Episode 1
1. Re: Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Episode 1 Mar 27, 2018, 20:26 CJ_Parker

LOL  

35. Re: Far Cry 5 Released Mar 27, 2018, 19:09 CJ_Parker

SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 27, 2018, 14:55:
Nullity wrote on Mar 27, 2018, 14:46:
I'm trying to dig up some benchmarks using the new game-ready drivers that were just released, but it must be too soon, I haven't been able to find any yet.
You may get an average of 1-2fps extra out of the new drivers but I personally haven't seen any significant meaningful performance boosts from video card drivers.
Game patches and optimizations make a much larger impact in most cases than the graphics drivers, but that is just my experience.
Maybe the impact of drivers is much larger on higher end systems

I'm getting +6 average fps from the new GameReady drivers (lower min and max values though).
Also note that it is not all about performance. The GameReady drivers usually also include a variety of (non-obvious) cosmetic fixes as well as fixes/support for specific setups like G-Sync, SLI, nVidia Surround, stereoscopic 3D, VR etc.

Yes, I know that the game will "look fine" on older drivers but the optimizations are there so why not take advantage? It's only two minutes of "work" to install new drivers.

27. Re: Far Cry 5 Released Mar 27, 2018, 14:29 CJ_Parker

Quboid wrote on Mar 27, 2018, 14:17:
Alamar wrote on Mar 27, 2018, 11:32:
RedEye9 wrote on Mar 27, 2018, 11:13:
Darks wrote on Mar 27, 2018, 10:41:
Everything maxed out running smooth on a 28 inch 4K Samsung monitor at 3840 x 2160 held steady at 60 FPS and I'm behind a few version on drivers too.
Don't you just love it when someone posts fps and "everything maxed" but fails to mention system specs.

The PC Games (I think) review guy said he had a 980 (and the other guy a 1070) and was getting a solid 60 fps, which he found surprising, with everything at ultra minus an option or two... But didn't mention 4K, so I assume 1080p... Not sure why you'd be surprised a 980 or 1070 would run well enough at 1080 though...

I'm the other guy - my 1070 is running it at 1440p. I was pleasantly surprised by how well it runs compared to the problems I had with FC4 and Wildlands at launch. It's not unexpectedly good performance, it's just not as buggy as I had expected the launch version to be.

Agree. Wildlands is slightly better looking but at 1440p and armed with a 1080Ti I'm getting 100+fps average in FC5 while Wildlands barely reaches 60fps max.

OTOH, Wildlands feels more like a proper PC game IMHO. The scale is better, you have a much higher visual range LoD and it doesn't have that zoomed in "everything is XL" CoD-ish console feel to it.

15. Re: Far Cry 5 Released Mar 27, 2018, 12:56 CJ_Parker

Primalchrome wrote on Mar 27, 2018, 12:25:
Anyone have an opinion on whether the $29.99 is worth it for the Season Pass? I'm sorely tempted to get the vanilla game and wait a year for the DLC on sale.

Well, have you checked out the season pass contents? You should easily be able to make up your mind whether it is for you or not since Ubi have posted detailed info on the three DLCs that are all completely separate scenarios from the main game (thanks for that, Ubi!).

Personally, I don't give a fuck about zombies and the other two DLCs sound pretty lame to me, too, but YMMV if you're a huge zombie fan so I don't think anyone can really make a recommendation in that regard. It either is for you or it isn't.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
8. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Mar 27, 2018, 04:41 CJ_Parker

Pigeon wrote on Mar 26, 2018, 08:37:
Win 10 gaming edition... boots directly to the windows store and xbox gaming app, windows update constantly downloads their freemium games, and automatically streams to the mandatory Microsoft xboxspasmbookvinesnap.

Exactly... and even with this horrific outlook, I think you are still understating what they would really do with it.
A gaming edition of Windows 10 would be something to be VERY afraid of as a PC gamer.

News Comments > Far Cry 5 Reviews
55. Re: Far Cry 5 Reviews Mar 27, 2018, 04:25 CJ_Parker

Also played for a couple hours now and it's pretty good. Some spoiler-free notes.

- Tech: The good is that they have included many options and the game performs very well. I have it all maxed out at 1440p with a 1080Ti and I'm getting 100fps average according to the included benchmark. The bad: No volume slider for the music (WTF), you can only turn it on or off.
- Graphics are very good but not stunning. There is a noticeable pop-in as you move through the world but it's not too irritating thanks to the dense vegetation.
- No notable serious bugs so far, no crashes. The AI has some issues as usual in Ubi open world games. It is sometimes dumb as a brick and sometimes almost a little too good (all-knowing, impeccable aim etc.).
- Awesome intro with a nice creepy, nutty theme... very fitting for the whole lunatic cult thing.
- Great characters, voice-acting etc. so far
- The world is very well done and packed with content. They nailed the rural Montana atmosphere really well. Exploration is tons of fun.
- Hard is hard. I had to replay one of the opening scenes quite a few times and got my ass kicked in a few other fights, too.
- Progression seems OK. The perks are interesting and especially on hard difficulty you are motivated to keep playing to unlock some (hopefully) helpful skills.
- The in-game store has lots and lots of cosmetic stuff but is pretty unintrusive. The game luckily doesn't scream "buy-buy-buy" in your face all the time.
- There is a good selection of weapons (bows, guns, heavy weapons) and lots of (craftable) gadgets. You can only carry one assault weapon (bow, submachine gun), one pistol and one melee weapon early on. You have to unlock additional weapon slots (two more max) via perks and I'm saving up for that now so I can carry a bow (which is awesome!) and an assault weapon at the same time.
- Most side activities (like hunting and rescuing civies from cougar attacks etc.) seem pretty fun so far though I'm sure some of it will get repetitive after a while.
- One notable exception to the above: There is a horrible driving mini-game where you have to drive a circuit with checkpoints against the clock. The driving mechanics/physics SUCK so I'm not gonna bother with that shit again.
- Checkpoint saves suck and are too far apart sometimes IMHO (you also can not really tell when the game has last saved so...)
- Everything seems a bit large including the subtitle font... fuck consoles!
- Fuck rattlesnakes!

4539 Comments. 227 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo