Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Daniel

Real Name Daniel   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname CJ_Parker
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2006, 23:49
Total Comments 3424 (Veteran)
User ID 24408

User comment history
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

News Comments > NVIDIA GTX 1080 Review Roundup
57. Re: NVIDIA GTX 1080 Review Roundup May 17, 2016, 19:46 CJ_Parker

Slick wrote on May 17, 2016, 19:07:
Async compute stuff

Well, and PC Perspective has this to say which supports the full support on "graphics units" level (= hardware). They explain it rather well, too (link to the review up in this news post). Here's the relevant snip with some highlights:

Overlapping workloads are used when a GPU does not fill its processing capability with a single workload alone, leaving gaps or bubbles in the compute pipeline that degrade efficiency and slow down the combined performance of the system. This could be PhysX processing for GeForce GPUs or it might be a post-processing step that a game engine uses to filter the image as a final step. In Maxwell, this load balancing had to work with a fixed partitioning model. Essentially, the software had to say upfront how much time of the GPU it wanted divided between the workloads in contention. If the balance of the workloads stays in balance, this can be an efficient model, but any shift in the workloads would mean either unwanted idle time or jobs not completing in the desired time frame. Pascal addresses this by enabling dynamic load balancing that monitors the GPU for when work being added, allowing the secondary workload to take the bubbles in the system to be used for compute.

Time critical workloads create a different problem – they need prioritization and need to be inserted ASAP. An example of this is the late time warp used by the Oculus Rift to morph the image at the last possible instant with the most recent motion input data. With Maxwell, there was no way to have granular preemption the system had to set a fixed time to ask for the asynchronous time warp (ATW) to start, meaning that the system would often leave GPU compute performance on the table, under-utilizing the hardware.

Pascal is the first GPU architecture to implement a pixel level preemption capability for graphics. The graphics units will keep track of their intermediate progress on the current rendering workload so that they can stop, save their state and move off the hardware to allow for the preempted workload to be addressed quickly. NVIDIA tells us the entire process of context switching can occur in less than 100 microseconds after the last pixel shading work is finished. Similarly for compute tasks, Pascal integrates thread level preemption. If you happen to be running CUDA code, Pascal can support preemption down the instruction level!

The combination of dynamic scheduling and pixel/thread level preemption in hardware improve NVIDIA’s performance on asynchronous compute and workloads pretty dramatically. In the asynchronous time warp example above, Pascal will be able to give more time to the GPU for rendering tasks than Maxwell, waiting until the last moment to request the time warp via preemption. This capability is already built into and support by Oculus.

Seriously, sounds to me like the dude at Ars, which you quoted, doesn't even quite understand what AC is. The reason that AMD benefits more from AC is simple. AC, as we just learned from the PCPer blurb, is a technology that reduces GPU idle time and puts the resources to other use. nVidia cards in the past (DX11) have already distributed the load very well, i.e. little idle time so they benefit little from a tech that attempts to utilize idle time for other tasks.

AMD, on the other hand, has fairly shitty utilization (i.e. if AMD were capable of writing a proper DX11 driver, they could have probably beaten nVidia in more cases) so AMD benefits a lot from a technology that uses these idle capacities (that would/should not be idle in the first place if AMD had proper DX11 drivers).

That's all there is to it, really... AMD *benefits* more since they are actually underperforming w/o AC while nVidia is already performing well and therefore gains little.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

42. Re: NVIDIA GTX 1080 Review Roundup May 17, 2016, 16:16 CJ_Parker

Slick wrote on May 17, 2016, 15:58:
All I can think of is how the dropped the ball with the "full" DX 12_1 revision which was bullshit, and now they STILL don't support async compute, which showed in the Ashes benchmark giving the 1080 only a 16% performance boost over the Fury X.

Au contraire, mon ami. They fully support async now (AotS benches are ass because they are so heavily tailored towards AMD it's not even funny) and in addition to that they also support a feature that no AMD card on the market is supporting yet and that is also not even in DirectX 12 yet. Pascal supports async on the compute level (like AMD) but also in the graphics pipeline. The latter is all new and it's called pixel level preemption and is coming to DirectX 12 in July.

It is correct, however, that Pascal does not *benefit* as much from async compute as AMD but it more than fully supports it. And it remains to be seen how many DirectX 12 games will really make use of async compute at all.
Most likely not many since it requires extra work for the developer and we all know that publishers are barely willing to fund a *working* game, let alone a game with a fancy feature that only the "evil PC pirates" would most benefit from.

41. Re: NVIDIA GTX 1080 Review Roundup May 17, 2016, 16:01 CJ_Parker

eRe4s3r wrote on May 17, 2016, 15:34:
We need some games with DX12 and Vulkan (Doom uses OpenGL 4.5 , not Vulkan) to actually benchmark with. DX11 benchmarks do not tell the full story, and Ashes of Singularity isn't the best benchmark for DX12...

All things considered, seems to be a card that still does NOT allow for 4k VR rendering at 95 fps.. that is a huge blow imo as that is no doubt gonna be GEN 2 of VR

Also what is with the lack of any real VR benchmarks? Or did I just not find them?

I'm sure the reviewers just didn't have the time yet. Many of them got their cards at that editor's day live event on May 6th so they only had 10 days to write up this first batch of reviews. Not enough time for extensive testing past the default crap.

As for 4K I'm not surprised that we are still years away from true viability. I feel sorry for any early adopters who fell for the 4K marketing hype and got a 4K screen already. Games are getting more demanding, GPUs are getting faster but it will still take years before the gap closes and (most) everything runs at 60fps+.
What makes a helluva lot more sense for the next two/three years is to get a 1080p/1440p screen with 120/144/165Hz instead of 4K.
You will get much better 4K screens in a couple of years anyway. Maybe even affordable OLED screens (finally).

And 4K VR is simply going to have to compromise with reduced detail settings. Shouldn't be that bad in VR compared to a regular screen because you are getting more blur and "noise" on a screen that close to your eyes anyway. GTX 1080Tis in SLI should get very close to being able to handle it at very high settings though.

35. Re: NVIDIA GTX 1080 Review Roundup May 17, 2016, 15:43 CJ_Parker

theglaze wrote on May 17, 2016, 14:50:
Fast Sync

Any word yet on which generations are capable of this new mode?

One of the reviews said that Maxwell is supposed to receive it via a driver update "later". I wouldn't bet on it trickling down much further than that.

23. Re: NVIDIA GTX 1080 Review Roundup May 17, 2016, 13:01 CJ_Parker

Well, EVGA definitely got pretty mediocre reviews across the board last generation. Seriously. Their heatsinks were meh and the fan control was out of whack, too noisy, poor cooling, you name it.

The strongest selling point in favor of EVGA is still their warranty policy. Most people buy EVGA cards to dismount the default cooling without losing warranty and to replace it with a cooling solution of their choice (most enthusiasts integrate it into their water cooling setup).

But the default factory cards of the last gen were near "garbage", yeah. The GTX 980/970 cards leading the pack at the top were MSI Gaming 4G, Palit SuperJetStream, ASUS Strix and Gigabyte WindForce. Then Inno3D, Gainward and Zotac. And then PNY and EVGA and the rest of the world.
There were simply MUCH better choices than EVGA last gen. The only reason to buy EVGA would have been their warranty but not the product quality per se.

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity II Revealed
6. Re: Pillars of Eternity II Revealed May 17, 2016, 12:05 CJ_Parker

Cutter wrote on May 17, 2016, 10:45:
Yeah, I'll be skipping this one thanks.

Same here. Definitely skipping the Kickstarter after the way they treated backers last time and how they kept the game in development for all eternity before it was properly fixed.
PoE 2 is a $9.99 or $4.99 Steam sale for the GOTY when the game and expansions are as finished as the releases from regular developers who know what the fuck they are doing.

17. Re: NVIDIA GTX 1080 Review Roundup May 17, 2016, 11:59 CJ_Parker

Qbex . wrote on May 17, 2016, 10:58:
I knew that "twice faster then titan x" was just a sleazy pr talk.

The "twice faster than TitanX" was always just in reference to VR where the 1080 does some of the computing (simultaneous multiprojection) about twice as fast.

They showed two slides at the event on May 6th. One with general non-VR gaming performance where the GTX 1080 was 20% ahead of the TitanX and one with VR gaming performance where the GTX 1080 was nearly twice as fast.

I'm not sure if there are VR benchmarks yet to illustrate the massive performance gains but it was not just PR talk. If you read up on the tech, you will find out that they can simply render more pixels per eye with the tech on the GTX 1080 (2.1 MPixel/eye vs. 1.4 MPixel/eye on previous crap).
Then add to this Lens Matched Shading and Single Pass Stereo and you arrive at nearly twice the performance of a TitanX under ideal conditions (i.e. where a developer has made ideal use of the available features).

13. Re: NVIDIA GTX 1080 Review Roundup May 17, 2016, 11:42 CJ_Parker

lol@AMD  

News Comments > System Shock Remastered Kickstarter Next Month
26. Re: System Shock Remastered Kickstarter Next Month May 16, 2016, 21:57 CJ_Parker

Fantaz wrote on May 16, 2016, 20:40:
why should it be PS4 only and ignore Xbox One?

It should ideally be PC-exclusive (Windows, Mac, Linux/SteamOS). But IF it has to go to console then yes PS4 would be much better than Shitbox. Sony is at least leaving PC gamers alone and not constantly shitting all over PC gaming like Microsoft does (GFWL, UWP, shady shabby backroom deals to actively sabotage and withhold games from PC gamers etc.).

News Comments > System Shock Remastered Kickstarter Next Month
24. Re: System Shock Remastered Kickstarter Next Month May 16, 2016, 19:12 CJ_Parker

Bumpy wrote on May 16, 2016, 17:28:
'Being made for Xbox One and PC'

That's all I needed to read. I'll pass.

Seconded. This is $4.99 Steam sale material at best. I'm not gonna fund Shitbox development via KS. LOL. The thought alone makes me want to puke.

News Comments > Acer Partners for StarVR
31. Re: Acer Partners for StarVR May 16, 2016, 16:02 CJ_Parker

Quboid wrote on May 16, 2016, 15:58:
Your tone looks more like CJ_Parker's than Parallax Abstraction's.

Aaaannnddd? Nothing wrong with that now is there??

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 16, 2016, 15:34 CJ_Parker

nimski wrote on May 16, 2016, 14:44:
<sigh> The writing is on the wall for my antique 780GTX. It handled Wolfenstein perfectly well, but it completely chokes on Doom (Confirmed by the TechSpot link). Looking forward to the 1080 release next week.

The release is on May 27th, dude, not next week. The NDA drops tomorrow so expect a fucking torrential flood of 1080 reviews shortly but the cards won't ship before May 27th at the earliest. And then it will probably take weeks and months before the more interesting custom cards start appearing in quantity.
I wouldn't (won't) rush anything. Paying an early adopter premium for reference design garbage (creatively titled "Founder's Edition" this time) rarely pays off in the long run. It's always best to wait a few weeks for the dust to settle and the pricing to shake out, then buy the best custom card on the market.

And yeah that article is cute. AMD fanbois have gone from "PASCAL GUNNAH GET REKT BY POLARIS!!!11" to "brilliant marketing strategy" when it turned out that Polaris won't even be in the ballpark neighbahhood of Pascal.
It's actually really embarrassing (and annoying due to the inflated prices) that AMD has nothing on Pascal for the foreseeable future. It remains to be seen whether the Vega in October rumors are true. I doubt it. A solid paper launch maybe but broad availability seems unlikely unless they have plans for a GDDR5X model instead of HBM2.

News Comments > Steam Summer Sale Dates Leaked?
14. Re: Steam Summer Sale Dates Leaked? May 16, 2016, 13:55 CJ_Parker

Yeah fuck the sale but thanks to whoever leaked the date for the heads-up to avoid Steam like the plague on June 23rd. You definitely want to switch to offline mode on the 22nd and make sure you have everything downloaded that you want to play because shit is gonna be unusable on the 23rd at around 10AM PDT.  

News Comments > Acer Partners for StarVR
29. Re: Acer Partners for StarVR May 16, 2016, 13:43 CJ_Parker

Slick wrote on May 16, 2016, 10:23:
Not making mention of the rest of the very sexy Acer monitor lineup

I prefer chicks over monitors when it comes to sex, bro.

Or the 21:9 aspect ultra-wide...

21:9 is for tards with fish eyes.

News Comments > Diablo III Turns Four
5. Re: Diablo III Turns Four May 16, 2016, 13:24 CJ_Parker

GarthZombie wrote on May 16, 2016, 10:52:
ochentay4 wrote on May 16, 2016, 10:48:
No one cares. Just want Diablo 2 remastered, or in HD with modern graphics options.

I care, shut your dick hole.

Well, you certainly have the linguistic skills of the typical Blizzard fantard!

News Comments > Sunday Interviews
6. Re: Sunday Interviews May 15, 2016, 18:50 CJ_Parker

Hamill:

I don't know how many millions of people must be involved in raising that kind of money, but that just shows you the reputation that Chris has developed over the years in the gaming community because he's very well respected. People are really excited for this game, and it's interesting because people either have no idea what it is at all or they're ultra-passionate fans. There's no middle ground. That's the very definition of a cult following.

^ Hahaha indeed.

News Comments > DOOM Released
116. Re: DOOM Released May 14, 2016, 14:49 CJ_Parker

bigspender wrote on May 14, 2016, 07:58:
http://s32.postimg.org/hottvgxth/Doo_M4.png

Pretty much this. It's fairly fun to play, but it's not the Doom I was after, and it wears thin very fast.

HAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA PUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRFUCKINGFECT!!!

News Comments > DOOM Released
54. Re: DOOM Released May 13, 2016, 16:04 CJ_Parker

Slick wrote on May 13, 2016, 12:25:
Well. You're reasoning in this case is utter bullshit because this particular game seems like the developers really gave what the gaming public wanted from a DOOM game.

Did they now? Did the gaming public ask for Doom to become another garbage console franchise with checkpoint saves and crap like that? Not the public that I am a part of, dude. The beauty of the origins of this franchise was the PC-centric design and how Carmack set new graphics benchmarks with each new iteration.

This new Doom is a $4.99 Steam sale if I've ever seen one. In the meantime I'll be busy playing the free ArmA III weekend. You know... an actual PC shooter with depth, complexity, awesome graphics and all that shit that makes actual PC shooters great. Fuck console Doom.

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Mandalore's Revenge Next Month
9. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Mandalore's Revenge Next Month May 12, 2016, 19:17 CJ_Parker

Creston wrote on May 12, 2016, 16:12:
CJ_Parker wrote on May 12, 2016, 14:21:
Rise of the Hutt Cartel, Shadow of Revan and Knights of the Fallen Empire is the same for everyone.

Are those three expansions good? Like, comparable to KotOR, story wise?

I thought that Rise of the Hutt Cartel was pretty meh, Shadow of Revan was fairly decent overall and Knights of the Fallen Empire chapter 1 (I will continue playing after all chapters have been released so I only know the first chapter) was the best from a presentation of the story point of view with well made cutscenes but the worst when it comes to the gameplay.

For chapter 1 to complete, you literally just push 'W' on your keyboard, watch a cutscene play, click your default attack a couple times, push 'W' again, rinse, repeat.

I'm not exaggerating. There is absolutely zero challenge (so any n00b without prior experience who rolls a fresh level 60 can finish the expansion) and that drags the whole thing down into the abyss of the snoozefest.

Also, the content after the actual storyline where you assemble your alliance members is kind of meh (e.g. there is forced PvP to reach one of the objectives).

Generally speaking, the story content is not bad for a MMO but it's a far cry from KotOR. I have mostly just played SWTOR to scratch that Star Wars itch and not because it is a good game per se. My interest in the game has deteriorated with the KotFE expansion because it was way too easy (boring) and there is a lot of recycled assets and content in there, too.
One can tell that they are making these story chapters on fairly limited budgets and it doesn't help that the age of the game is showing. I mean if you compare characters in a Ubi or Rockstar game to SWTOR then it's like a night & day difference. SWTOR is getting very long in the tooth...

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Mandalore's Revenge Next Month
5. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Mandalore's Revenge Next Month May 12, 2016, 14:21 CJ_Parker

Wallshadows wrote on May 12, 2016, 08:44:
Your class story is wrapped up/paused at 60 which then focuses on you being the Outlander until 65.

Nope, as I said it's level 50 for the class story. After the class story (which involves defeating the Sith Emperor in one way or another), you move on to the first Interlude (dailies, flashpoints etc.) which comprises Ilum (L50), The Black Hole (L50) and SectionX (L50), then you play the Rise of the Hutt Cartel expansion which will take you to Makeb and get you to level 55, next up is the second Interlude (dailies, flashpoints etc.) with Czerka Labs on CZ-198 (L55) and Oricon (L55), and then it's Shadow of Revan time which will take you to level 60 introducing Rishi, Yavin 4 and Ziost, and then finally you will play Knights of the Fallen Empire which is so poorly balanced that it will take you to the new max level of 65 about half way through the first chapter.

Anything past level 50 and the original class stories does not have any class specific content, however. Rise of the Hutt Cartel, Shadow of Revan and Knights of the Fallen Empire is the same for everyone.

3424 Comments. 172 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo