Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Duffy

Real Name Duffy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname CJ_Parker
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2006, 23:49
Total Comments 4021 (Master)
User ID 24408

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > Mass Effect Series on Hold?
37. Re: Mass Effect Series on Hold? May 11, 2017, 11:44 CJ_Parker

NKD wrote on May 11, 2017, 10:51:
I mean I've got more hours in it than I probably have in all the previous ME games combined...

Duuuuude? 589 hours in Mass Effect An-fookin-dromeda? And you have the nerve to call me "retarded"?

And like I said, I'm pretty sure I'm the only one around here who gave it high praise, so it's far from true that everyone here was circlejerking the game and CJ was the lone voice of dissent like he wants to pretend.

You were by far not the only one. I got completely steamrolled by a whole bunch of people when I dared to criticize the super-awesome Mass Effect Andromeda, the best game of all times (two months ago). Some folks accused me of not even playing the game when I said repeatedly that I played the full 10 hour trial.
Others said 10 hours is by far not enough to even begin to grasp the epic awesomeness of this masterpiece that will shape the future landscape of gaming and put classic BioWare back on the map as well as heal cancer.

There was barely anyone else who criticized the game beyond the facial animations when that is in reality the least (because merely cosmetic) issue of the game.

Anyway, it is pretty typical how, once soberness has set in, all the cheerleaders do not want to know anything about their hyped up praise anymore when it turns out a couple months later that the game wasn't as well received as their kool-aid had them believe.
Like, when in doubt, it's always better to praise it and be a member of the kewl kidz club than admit it's garbage, right?

Come on. You know it to be true. It happens all the time except when a game really is a true classic and actually deserves the praise like The Witcher 3 does.

But other than that, there are so many games that were hyped for a couple of weeks and then a few months later people, including the media, come out of the woodwork admitting it wasn't as good and they write postmortems about overrating and overhyping.

Creston here is a good example for that whole phenomenon because at ME:A release he was massively under the influence of the kool-aid... which I find surprising in his case. He is usually quite a critical person with somewhat decent taste even so I was kind of puzzled why he gave EA/Bio such a massive pass for their mediocrity. Must be some old days BioWare fanboyism or something... I didn't get it. But as we can see now, the tune has changed after the kool-aid has left the system.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Game Reviews
1. Re: Game Reviews May 11, 2017, 11:16 CJ_Parker

Prey review is pretty much spot on including the score. There is some silly hype surrounding this game just cuz it's a little bit reminiscent of BioShock.

The problem is it's generously speaking only about half as good and a tad too much of a copycat in many places.

The PC version should actually get an additional -1 subtracted and be rated 5/10 due to the atrocious UI (by far the worst UI in years on PC... even ME:A UI looks'n'feels competent by comparison). There's also various other consolitis bullshit.

The atmosphere as well as the upgrade and skill systems are pretty good but other than that it is pure mediocrity.

The story is so cliche and predictable, sheesh, January = Atlas and of course no one is quite who he/she seems to be. Arkane have failed completely at creating even a hint of a shroud of mystery.

The writing is almost as garbage and shallow as ME:A. I'm glad that even a mainstream gig like GameSpot not only recognizes it but, in spite of big wig Bethesda, actually calls them out for it, instead of kissing butt as usual. Good job for a change.

In terms of gameplay, the mimicry and gimmickry gets old rather quickly which is exacerbated by the endless respawns that suck just as much as in BioShock when you had to backtrack and enemies reappeared all over the place. It's even more tiring here cuz you have to pass certain areas a gazillion times, like if you head back to your office.

So congrats to GameSpot for slapping the mediocrity score on this game that it deserves. Well done. Please keep up the critical analysis instead of being AAA hype sheeple mouthpieces like most media. This review almost hearkens back to the good old times of Desslock and Greg Kasavin when critical thinking was still allowed instead of nowadays' default cheerleading hype for every AAA release.

News Comments > Mass Effect Series on Hold?
16. Re: Mass Effect Series on Hold? May 11, 2017, 01:42 CJ_Parker

Told ya it's garbage .

But noooo....

BluesNews cheerleading fangirl choir: "MASS EFFECT ANDROMEDA IS GOTY AWESOME SAUCE".

Eight weeks later...

"Mass Effect Series on Hold"

Me: Strrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiikkkkkeeee!

Score CJ_Parker 1 vs. BluesNews AAA cheerleading fangirl brigade 0

Middlefinger Middlefinger Middlefinger

News Comments > Project CARS 2 McLaren Trailer
4. Re: Project CARS 2 McLaren Trailer May 9, 2017, 15:31 CJ_Parker

Useless piece of shit car... can't even fit a crate of beer in the trunk dammit!  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
13. Re: removed May 8, 2017, 12:23 CJ_Parker

Quinn wrote on May 8, 2017, 11:44:
Quinn wrote on May 8, 2017, 03:53:
* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on May 8, 2017, 08:06.

Understandable. Felt good to go on the offense against the guy.

Anyway, don't listen to CJ_Parker. He probably didn't even play the game.

PREY is definitely the GOTY for me. Can't imagine another game coming out this year I'll enjoy more.

Yeah. Right. Wasn't MEA your "OMG GOTY" last month? What will it be next month then? Or in October? Come on. It's easy to tell you are one of those sheeple for whom the latest AAA hype is always "GOTY" by default just because OMGTHEHYPEISSOSTRONG.

Of course I have played Prey. It's the first game in years I have bought on release cuz CDKeys had it for 30 instead of 60. And what do I get as a reward? Game-breaking bugs left, right and center.
Mind you, not personally yet (a few hours in and mostly bug-free) but I don't wanna risk playing on cuz it's not cool to lose your save 20 hours in or so.

As I said, just check the Steam forums. It's there for everyone to see how buggy and glitchy this game is and how many people are complaining about not being able to load a save without crashing or not being able to complete quests or get achievements etc.
Just check it out and go through the first five pages or so. I'm not making this up.

Well, and the consolitis is also there for everyone to see in plain sight. This game has the shittiest inventory handling I have seen in a long time, e.g. when you move stuff from your inventory to your office safe. This was clearly made with controllers and sticks in mind.
Or the weapon wheel... as soon as you touch your mouse wheel, up pops the console-friendly wheel instead of simply switching to the next weapon. Or how you need to hold down keys for many simple (inter)actions which was clearly made for triggers on controllers, too.

The only chance this game is GOTY is if the year continues as shitty as it has started. But you are sounding more like a total hype victim who switches his GOTY every month for the next flavor of the month hype.
Realistically, sans hype, this game has the chance to become a typical decent 8/10 kind of game after a couple of patches. Until then it can not even be rated.
No one deserves to lose their valuable time and progress through game-breaking glitches. As long as there is a substantial risk of this happening, and there absolutely is as proven by many forums posts, this is the Shit of the Year and not the Game of the Year.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
3. Re: Steam Top 10 May 8, 2017, 01:18 CJ_Parker

Wetworks wrote on May 8, 2017, 00:48:
Too bad Prey didn't make it to number 1, the game definitely deserves the top spot.

No, it doesn't.

- Shitty graphics
- Shitty console UI
- General shitty consolitis
- Buggy as fuck to the point several people's saves got corrupted so bad they could not continue playing (check Steam forums). I have also quit for now cuz I don't wanna end up with a broken save 20 hours in like quite a few folks. There are enough reports to not chalk it off as a rare occurrence.

There's also some good shit, of course, but the bad shit far outweighs the good shit so until it is hopefully fixed one day soon it does not deserve the top spot. Maybe after the patches. We'll have to wait'n'see whether they can be bothered to fix their shit.

News Comments > Prey Released
30. Re: Prey Released May 6, 2017, 01:52 CJ_Parker

Task wrote on May 5, 2017, 21:47:
Also, they should release Prey 1 digitally. That would be nice.

If you still have your retail version then you can just enter the key and add it to Steam.

News Comments > How Does Prey Run?
1. Re: How Does Prey Run? May 5, 2017, 10:31 CJ_Parker

The funniest bit about Prey performance is how it is an AMD sponsored game but even the GTX 970 kicks the RX 480's ass to hell and back. LULZ.  

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers
6. Re: New GeForce Drivers May 4, 2017, 23:39 CJ_Parker

Dude, no. I have disabled the telemetry shit Wink .  

4. Re: New GeForce Drivers May 4, 2017, 23:09 CJ_Parker

Bullshit, dude.  

2. Re: New GeForce Drivers May 4, 2017, 19:55 CJ_Parker

Of course, dude.  

News Comments > Activision Blizzard Financials
1. Re: Activision Blizzard Financials May 4, 2017, 19:35 CJ_Parker

Ah yes, the sweet sound of milk drops hitting the bucket...  

News Comments > Reservoir Dogs: Bloody Days This Month
3. Re: Reservoir Dogs: Bloody Days This Month May 4, 2017, 12:11 CJ_Parker

Retarded.  

News Comments > Arkane: Steam Refunds = PC Prey Demo
51. Re: e: Arkane: Steam Refunds = PC Prey Demo May 4, 2017, 03:08 CJ_Parker

Quinn wrote on May 4, 2017, 02:28:
Also, name a demo that lasted longer than 5 hours in the last 20 years.

Ummm... the Mass Effect Andromeda 10 hour free trial last month? OK. It required signing up for a free trial membership of Access but free is free and it was a very generous demo.

More free trials on Origin (that do NOT require also signing up for a free Access trial): Unravel (10 hours), Plants vs. Zombies (10 hours), The Sims 4 (two days, i.e. up to the theoretical maximum of 48h if you ovahdoze on caffeine), BF4 (sevens days = up to 168h including the SP campaign), SWBF (4 hours... OK, not quite 5h), Titanfall (two days = up to 48h), Dragon Age Inquisition (6 hours).

And if this shit ain't enough, you could exploit their Great Game Guarantee refund policy by playing a game for up to 23:59:59 hours. They have a much more generous policy than Steam with their measly 2 hours.

Well, finally Kxmode already mentioned free weekends on Steam. Those usually launch on Thursday at 10:00AM Pacific and last until Sunday.

Saying there haven't been 5h+ demos in the last 20 years is complete uneducated drivel.

News Comments > Arkane: Steam Refunds = PC Prey Demo
18. Re: Arkane: Steam Refunds = PC Prey Demo May 3, 2017, 12:42 CJ_Parker

Gadzooks wrote on May 3, 2017, 11:54:
I hope tons of people buy, and then refund on steam, and totally screw up their metrics for sales after this.

I wasn't too interested in this garbage game so far but ^that is exactly the plan now .

News Comments > Far Cry 3 Tease
3. Re: Far Cry 3 Tease May 3, 2017, 11:17 CJ_Parker

Instabuy cuz sharks  

News Comments > Darksiders III Leaked
2. Re: Darksiders III Leaked May 2, 2017, 10:35 CJ_Parker

Yawn. Wake me up when they release the actual finished non-beta Warmaster Deathinitive or whatever complete version of the game instead of this early access garbage.  

News Comments > X-Wing XWVM Mod Video
3. Re: X-Wing XWVM Mod Video May 1, 2017, 10:56 CJ_Parker

Noice. This shit >>>>>> EA's SWBF garbage  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
21. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Apr 26, 2017, 12:41 CJ_Parker

I got this a few weeks ago via regular Windows update already (guess I was in an early rollout wave).

As with the Anniversary Update this was a complete clusterfuck and stole over an hour of my valuable time until I had reverted all privacy settings back to stop fucking spying on me assholes and until I had uninstalled all unwanted apps that were once more dumped on my valuable SSD space without my consent (of course).

I'm WAY beyond the fuck Microsoft stage, man. I'm dreaming every night of becoming a giant turd monster and squatting over Redmond.

Serious word of advice here: If you value your privacy then make sure to go through ALL of your privacy related settings. ALL. OF. THEM. The sneaky Mickeysoft fuckers reverted settings in a totally random fashion.
Do not check just one page in privacy settings and think everything is OK or as it was. It isn't. Check everything. They've made it extra annoying hoping that people won't notice which settings they've changed. To make double sure, go through the entire settings pages, not just the privacy page.

The worst offender is Defender by the way (oh the irony). They turn on both, cloud-based protection and automatic sample submission by default.
These settings basically allow MS to access ANY and ALL of your files at their convenience under the pretense to check for viruses and malware. It's like sharing your HDD/SDD with the WAN, i.e. your data free for all to fuck with as they please.

And if you use custom settings for your nVidia driver then check the control panel. The update resets everything to default settings for some shitty reason (same with the anniversary update cuz it's apparently too hard for MS to code something that doesn't fuck up stuff left, right and center).

News Comments > Sniper Ghost Warrior 3 Released
2. Re: Sniper Ghost Warrior 3 Released Apr 24, 2017, 19:22 CJ_Parker

Buy Sniper Ghost Warrior 3 Season Pass Edition

Hmmm....

ummm....

Naaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

4021 Comments. 202 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo