Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Duffy

Real Name Duffy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname CJ_Parker
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2006, 23:49
Total Comments 4270 (Master)
User ID 24408

User comment history
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

News Comments > StarCraft II Going Free-to-Play
3. Re: StarCraft II Going Free-to-Play Nov 3, 2017, 15:50 CJ_Parker

OK. That's it. Starcraft Remastered was my final ever Blizztard purchase. Dem fuckheads.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Patches
10. Re: Morning Patches Nov 2, 2017, 17:02 CJ_Parker

I don't get why anyone would still buy a Ubishit game on release. Y'all deserve every single one of these issues and then some.
It's too bad the game can not physically come out of the PC and shit in your lap. Maybe then people would finally wake up?
Hm. Probably not. You would probably thank Ubi for making it nice, warm and cozy in your lap.

News Comments > NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Launches
9. Re: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Launches Nov 2, 2017, 16:52 CJ_Parker

Saboth wrote on Nov 2, 2017, 15:42:
My regular 1070 already handles any game at 1440 maxed out though...

Many folks have a funny definition of either "maxed out" or of their perception of "handles" Wink .

With the right games and REALLY maxed out settings you can easily bring a 1080Ti to its knees in 1440p.

For example, Watch Dogs 2 or Ghost Recon Wildlands... these are both games that will drop below a solid 60fps at 1440p at max settings even on a 1080Ti.
Or The Witcher 3: It will not run anywhere near 60fps on a 1070 in 1440p with Hairworks (+AA) fully enabled (= maxed out).
Finally, Deus Ex Mankind Divided you can also forget about maxing out even on a 1080Ti. When I played the recent free weekend version, I had to dial down the AA level to get pleasant fps (still dipped below 60fps frequently).

Don't get me wrong. A GTX 1070 is certainly a decent card for 1080p/1440p but you are definitely going to have to make compromises and turn down some of the more demanding settings (like e.g. AA or HBAO+ or Screen Space Reflections or certain Gameworks effects) in quite a few modern games. To say it runs any game "maxed out" at 1440p is simply not true.

News Comments > NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Launches
8. Re: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Launches Nov 2, 2017, 16:34 CJ_Parker

aka_STEVE wrote on Nov 2, 2017, 14:59:

Yep, pretty weird to make this product - instead of just lower your prices on the current lineup ???

Not weird at all. With the 1070Ti they can beat Vega 56 for good instead of being slightly slower, on par, or slightly faster depending on the game.

GP-104 is very well established and it's a piece of cake for them to produce a 1070Ti chip (as well as for the board partners to produce the cards since they basically just need to print different packaging).

And xmas is coming so it makes sense to have a 'new' product to sell for the holiday season.
This is 100% win-win for nVidia and the board partners. They have already made billions from Pascal and this card will help drive up profitability even more.

News Comments > Descent Underground Next Year
19. Re: Descent Underground Next Year Nov 2, 2017, 01:14 CJ_Parker

siapnar wrote on Nov 2, 2017, 00:13:
CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 1, 2017, 15:13:
BTW, here is the devs' more personal message regarding the recent development issues and the publisher announcement.
Looks like they've been going without pay for a while so WingMan & co. really needed this deal to make the game happen at all.
These guys got 600k USD from Kickstarter. From the look of it, they didn't manage that money very well because the game doesn't have much content and lacks in the looks department. I think they blew a bunch on marketing and image without really giving the game substance. Or not. Either way, this screams bad resource management

$600K is absolutely nothing when it comes to game development even with a small team. A drip in the ocean is what a measly $600K is.

Besides, they probably got quite a bit less than that because the funding stalled at around $500K for the last week of the KS.
It was very obvious back then that they helped the KS over the $600K by themselves just so it would succeed.
They kept the campaign running on their website but IIRC it raised maybe $15K more over the next year+ (pocket change). It was a minuscule sum that they raised post-KS-campaign.

The campaign ended in April 2015. It's been over 2.5 years since then with a laughable $500K to start.
Their team page might only show four devs now but when they launched their original website it introduced more like about ten people or so who worked on the game initially.
With a team like that, employee costs, hardware, licenses and all the other bills that come with running such a gig, you are not going very far with $500K. A few months at most...

The only reason they are still around is Steam early access. They managed to sell between ~35K and a little over 40K copies (I deducted the KS backers from SteamSpy's numbers).

Most KS projects are not fully covered... not even the big ones. Larian, inXile, Obsidian all spent considerably more money on making the respective games than what they raised on KS. They used the KS campaign as a marketing tool.

In Descendent Studios' case it might turn out to be a costly mistake that they did not accept defeat when the project stalled far below $600K. You can not make a quality game with single and multiplayer on a hamstring budget and with no way to properly subsidize development from other sources of income.

With a publisher they are finally on the right track now and I wish them all the best. Just about the only good thing about Star Shitizen to date was the Wingman's Hangar show on YT back in the day.

News Comments > Op Ed
9. Re: Op Ed Nov 1, 2017, 20:00 CJ_Parker

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Nov 1, 2017, 17:45:
But did you beat doom2 on nightmare? the impossible last level to do without cheats... go up the lift and jump/miss the damn brain every time.

Impossible if you're tipsy maybe Wink .

u need to sober up and git gud bruuuh then it's easy-peasy

News Comments > Descent Underground Next Year
6. Re: Descent Underground Next Year Nov 1, 2017, 15:13 CJ_Parker

BTW, here is the devs' more personal message regarding the recent development issues and the publisher announcement.
Looks like they've been going without pay for a while so WingMan & co. really needed this deal to make the game happen at all.

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront II Progression Changes
2. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Progression Changes Oct 31, 2017, 17:37 CJ_Parker

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 31, 2017, 17:34:
Wonder if it had anything to do with the survey they sent out

Even if it did it probably had even more to do with abysmal preorder sales.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
6. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 29, 2017, 15:23 CJ_Parker

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Oct 29, 2017, 15:16:
... if you're into weird Japanese story 3rd person shooters.

Aaaaahhhhaaa. See... I knew there was a qualifier that I was not aware of .

News Comments > Steam Top 10
4. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 29, 2017, 15:10 CJ_Parker

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Oct 29, 2017, 14:56:
too bad The Evil Within 2 hasn't sold so well.

Not very surprising though since it's apparently a slightly less mediocre sequel to a very mediocre and forgettable game. I'm amazed they made a sequel at all.
Then to release it during this fall season that is filled to the brim with high profile stuff is utterly retarded. It's like they wanted it to fail at all costs.

News Comments > The Bard's Tale Remastered & Resnarkled
5. Re: The Bard's Tale Remastered & Resnarkled Oct 28, 2017, 21:33 CJ_Parker

Retired wrote on Oct 28, 2017, 20:54:
I should have quit reading at "I didn't bake BT4".

Yep. You got that right. I only bake yummy cookies but no BT4! No puking on the floor either. Them cookies are delicious!

Also for someone who "knows how it works" it is quite an impressive feat to still be without a Torment key more than 8 months after the game came out... or actually more than a year after it went to early access (and IIRC every backer except physical tiers received keys when the game went to early access).

Not bad. That's what I call a slacker backer extraordinaire.

News Comments > The Bard's Tale Remastered & Resnarkled
3. Re: The Bard's Tale Remastered & Resnarkled Oct 28, 2017, 16:49 CJ_Parker

I didn't back BT4 but... dude? It's not even out yet. It has been delayed to 2018.

As for ToN, well, top of the mornin' to you, Sir. How about contacting their support? The game came out at the end of February.

From your issues it sounds like you have some major misconception about how KS works. You do realize you have to link your KS and your inXile backer portal accounts, right? You have to sign up at the inXile website and then follow the steps to tell them your KS e-mail address.

Alternatively, check your spam mail. They usually send out like half a dozen reminders for lazy backers who still haven't linked their shit together. You know, it makes sense to read those KS backer mails every once in a while. Why back if you don't give a shit anyway?

P.S.: Just checked. BT4 doesn't have a backer portal yet. This is why I'm no longer backing inXile... incredible how slow and lame they are. The only thing they are really good and fast at is collecting money for projects that are YEARS out. As a Torment backer head here.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
3. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Oct 28, 2017, 11:00 CJ_Parker

Welp. You are definitely correct that this game, its makers and its cultists are full of sickness. No doubt about it. The sanity train has left the station a looong time ago for the supporters of this POS.  

News Comments > Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus Released; Menu Includes Countdown
28. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 28, 2017, 03:18 CJ_Parker

Creston wrote on Oct 27, 2017, 22:32:
CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 27, 2017, 21:59:
Oh well. I wasn't going to buy it anyway since I can not buy an uncensored version in my country

The fuck do you live? Uganda?

Germany, dude. They don't allow swastikas here in games but only in movies and other forms of art. Yes. Games are not art here (IMO rightfully so but that's a different topic).

So any game with Nazi stuff gets the ban hammer. The only version of Wolfenstein we can buy on Steam is censored and to add insult to injury they also only have the horrible German language version.

They changed all the symbols in the German version and the Nazis are called "the regime" or something like that. It probably also has all-out cuts and altered dialogues. It's butchered like hell.

You know, back in the days before Steam, I would simply hit EBGames or GameStop and import a US copy of Return to Castle Wolfenstein CE (quite expensive with shipping but I was willing to do it for an uncensored copy), insert CD and play but in the age of the glorious region lock this is no longer possible.

There are ways to work around it with VPN, offline mode and so on but it's all kinda inconvenient and also slightly risky because it is against Valve's ToS ofc.

I don't usually pirate EVER but the Wolfensteins after RtCW had to be freebies due to the region locking bullshit.

News Comments > Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus Released; Menu Includes Countdown
24. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 27, 2017, 21:59 CJ_Parker

christheshitter wrote on Oct 27, 2017, 20:32:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on Oct 27, 2017, 14:30:
RedEye9 wrote on Oct 27, 2017, 11:10:
I just noticed this guys reviews. I like his presentation, voice and style. Not overtly spoilerish.
ACG Reviews, Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus Review "Buy, Wait for Sale, Rent, Never Touch?"

Angry Centaur Gaming is one of my favorite youtube games reviewers. No pretentious intros (no dubstep, no drawn out intro animations, no begging for likes and shameless self promotion before the video), and no filler and/or fluff. Quality stuff.

Worth a Buy is better.

And this game series have gone to shit! All you consolelovers commenting with praising the game. It's hilarious!

I thought that TNO and TOB were very decent games but it's definitely hit the colossal shithole with this new one due to the season pass. Fuck off with that piecemeal garbage already.
Oh well. I wasn't going to buy it anyway since I can not buy an uncensored version in my country thanks to Steam's glorious region locking. Now I'll have to wait before I can pirate the GOTY. Outrageous!

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
7. Re: Star Citizen, exclusive ship will come free with new Intel solid-state drives. Oct 27, 2017, 14:39 CJ_Parker

SlimRam wrote on Oct 27, 2017, 12:13:
Doesn't Citizencon start today?

Yeah, there's some stuff on their YT channel including CR's opening address.

No idea about S42. I don't really give a fuck anymore. They either release some shit or they don't. Everything else is just fluff and talk. Fuck them all.

11. Re: Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus Released; Menu Includes Countdown Oct 27, 2017, 14:26 CJ_Parker

Could be FoV sickness. Have you tried changing that setting?  

News Comments > Play Deus Ex: Mankind Divided for Free
10. Re: Play Deus Ex: Mankind Divided for Free Oct 25, 2017, 11:13 CJ_Parker

I'm not a huge fan of the new ones because Jensen is way too pseudo-cool and pretentious (Adam McPose) but what kills it for me for now is the abysmal performance.

I might check it out again when I have a Volta card but stuttering on a 4790K and 1080Ti combo is unacceptable. It looks awesome all maxed out, of course, but so do other games and they don't stutter. Probably another shitty port by Squeenix.

After what they did with the first game, i.e. the GOTY version, they don't deserve any money for this crap anyway. When I have a Volta and the price for DXMD *plus* the DLC drops below $10 we might meet again.

/uninstalled

News Comments > Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus System Specs
7. Re: Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus System Specs Oct 24, 2017, 05:24 CJ_Parker

Frijoles wrote on Oct 23, 2017, 23:01:
We're moving in to the "It's Expensive to be a Gamer" months.

Nope. Not at all if you have a modicum of self control. If you are a mindless consumerist lemming who MUST compulsively buy everything right NOW then things might look different, of course...

It doesn't even take self control but just being a little selective. AssCreed, for example, is a perfect game to buy in a year or two when they will sell the fully patched gold version including all DLC for a discount.

Personally, I never pirate games but Wolfenstein will unfortunately have to become one of the very few exceptions as usual since the invention of Steam and region locks since I can not buy and not even import an uncensored version in my country. So thanks for the freebie to Bethesda, Machines Games and Valve.

The last game in the series I purchased was RtCW but that was before the age of the region lock. I'd buy this one, too, if there were a way to import an uncensored copy and activate it but there isn't so... yaaaarrrrrrrr matey shiver me timbers muuuuuahahahahahahahaaa

News Comments > Op Ed
7. Re: Op Ed Oct 23, 2017, 11:25 CJ_Parker

I've played lots of multiplayer games back 15 - 20 years ago when they were still kind of new, i.e. when we finally left crappy dial-up behind us and broadband was spreading more widely while the MP gaming experiences were getting better and better. Even played some MMOs and quite a lot of the original CS but also lots of Rainbow Six Rogue Spear, Age of Empires etc. etc.

With more limited gaming time and thanks to the direction the industry has taken (monetization and still no firm grip on cheaters) I am all but done with multiplayer games.

I'd rather spend my limited gaming time with a quality single player game and take a trip into a virtual world on my own terms rather than submitting myself to a multiplayer treadmill where every round plays the same with little variation and the only incentive is to get better at the game or collect virtual trophies.

To me it is more attractive to really have an experience while playing... slip into the shoes of a virtual character, explore a world, live a virtual life and discover a story. On my own terms and on my own time. You don't really get that kind of experience in a multiplayer game.

So, no, I am not "getting tired of single player campaigns, even if I don't want to admit it" (what a dumb'n'bold assumption by the author). The exact opposite for me. I am sick and tired of shitty monetized out da ass multiplayer games with cheaters galore and dudebro lulz shenanigans. Good fucking riddance to all that shit.

4270 Comments. 214 pages. Viewing page 17.
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo