Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Daniel

Real Name Daniel   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname CJ_Parker
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2006, 23:49
Total Comments 3364 (Veteran)
User ID 24408

User comment history
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

News Comments > Overwatch Launches
16. Re: Overwatch Launches May 24, 2016, 08:58 CJ_Parker

sauron wrote on May 24, 2016, 08:36:
Trevellian wrote on May 24, 2016, 07:48:
That combo is easily fucking handled by a Tracer Ult, Pharah, hell even a decent Junkrat would look at that combo as candy.

No offense, but is the cursing really necessary at 7:48am? You can make your point without looking like a 13 year old.

What the fucking fuck is wrong with fucking 7:48AM?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Overwatch Video Drivers
8. Re: Overwatch Video Drivers May 24, 2016, 08:51 CJ_Parker

{PH}88fingers wrote on May 24, 2016, 08:43:
I don't know about that advice. Advice to the release to this driver if you have crashing issues to set that power management mode to Prefer Maximum Performance as a common troubleshooting step.

Well, "adaptive" used to be the (working just fine for the vast majority of users) default for many, many years.

Now nVidia has introduced a new setting without any documentation *and* made it the global default.

Assuming you have issues after upgrading to this latest driver, the reasonable order in which to troubleshoot things would naturally be:

1) Go back to the "adaptive" setting which has been known to work for years.

2) If that does not fix the issue you are having, yes, you could try the "maximum performance" setting (your GPU will run at 100% load regardless of actual demands with that setting so it's a really crappy setting actually) or roll back the driver to the last working version.

6. Re: Overwatch Video Drivers May 24, 2016, 08:28 CJ_Parker

Quick hint for y'all here. Those of you who regularly check and alter their driver settings after a new install have probably noticed this already but for everyone else it may be of interest to know that nVidia have changed the options inside the "Power management settings".

The new setting, and as of now global default, is "optimal power". There used to be only a choice between "adaptive" (default) and "prefer maximum performance". If you mouse over the setting, there isn't a tooltip for what "optimal power" does yet. It only still tells you what adaptive and maximum performance are for.
To be on the safe side, I switched this back to "adaptive" (in true never change a running system style).
I would recommend you do the same, especially if your card shows some kind of unwanted behavior with regard to performance or clock rates etc.

Goddammit, nVidia. You stealthy bastards. How about providing proper documentation inside the control panel (no I don't feel like googling this shit) when adding a new fucking feature?

2. Re: Overwatch Video Drivers May 23, 2016, 20:37 CJ_Parker

Overon wrote on May 23, 2016, 20:05:
What are these drivers ready for that the previous drivers weren't ready for? I don't get this whole "game ready" shit. What does it mean exactly?

Dude, devs write custom shaders for their games during development or make use of other computing-related features and functions (often times with nVidia engineers on site for consulting and implementation).
All of these customizations are then passed on to the driver team and they basically optimize and accelerate the processing of these customizations on the driver level.
That is why game-ready drivers usually perform a few percent better than the previous drivers.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
18. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 23, 2016, 19:21 CJ_Parker

HoSpanky wrote on May 23, 2016, 17:32:
Also, the memory article was surprising. I didn't think ram speeds made any difference in gaming anymore...at least not over a frame or two. I don't do any video work, but if I did, I'd be ordering some 4ghz ram right NAO.

Well, we got to remember that they ran this with relatively tame game settings (either no AA or just shitty FXAA instead of proper MSAA/TXAA etc.) and 980Ti in SLI, i.e. the RAM could shine because there was no GPU limit. That isn't a very good real world test though. Most people will usually try to max out image quality vs. performance and if the GPU becomes the delimiter then you end up with nearly no difference between slower or faster DDR4-RAM as we have seen in other similar tests.

After spending dozens of hours benchmarking ten different memory speeds on the Intel Z170 + Skylake platform we must admit that we are too shocked by the findings. Our benchmarks show that the memory bandwidth increased, but there wasn’t a tangible improvement in system performance with real applications. We ran other applications and game titles when we tested this memory kit and you mostly ended up with flat performance charts like you saw in Handbrake or any of the game titles that we tested today. We saw some nice performance gains from DDR4-2133 to DDR4-2666, but strangely the pricing for the G.Skill Ripjaws V 8GB 2133 and 2666 dual channel kits are identical. That is where you’ll see the biggest performance gain in the real world benchmarks and you can get that benefit for free right now. There is only a $15 difference between 2133MHz and 3200MHz memory, so skip a meal out and opt for higher clocked kit if you are on a tight budget! The DDR4-3466 and DDR4-3600 kits are nice for overclockers trying to get high memory bandwidth scores, but there it’s hard to justify spending $230 or $400 on a kit of memory that does little on real world applications.

... or here...

As Anandtech’s benchmarks show, the benefits of moving from DDR4-2133 to DDR4-3200 are tiny. The vast majority of consumer applications and games show gains of 0-5%. To be clear, Anandtech does find a few applications where this trend gets bucked — minimum frame rates are up a touch in several titles, particularly in SLI testing, and there’s one benchmark, the Redis memory key-store test, where moving from DDR4-2133 to DDR4-3200 gives a relatively huge benefit of 16% for a 50% clock rate boost. These gains, however, are erratic and unpredictable.

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 23, 2016, 15:11 CJ_Parker

I don't think that Suckerjerk even gives a fuck about the gaming market. He is only interested in the social media potential of VR, i.e. bringing it to the Faceshit mainstream demographic. Anything that stands in the way, like gaming, is just collateral damage to that assclown.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
4. Re: Morning Consolidation May 23, 2016, 11:15 CJ_Parker

Shineyguy wrote on May 23, 2016, 10:34:
"After seeing what Jensen's team"....

I stopped reading after that. If they can't get the CEO's name of a company correct how can I trust anything else out of their mouth?

^ this (epic facepalm @ the illiterates from that site)

Besides, if you check out the other reviews that were posted here last week then you can see that many sites reached higher clocks on their review models (around the 2.05 to 2.1GHz mark typically).
That PrecisionX tool seems to be a bitch to work with in its current state and there seems to be a good chance that the illiterates from the site posted here simply OC'ed like n00bs or got a mediocre review sample for OC'ing.

Not really worth giving a shit about anyway. The yet to be released custom models with proper cooling and better power supply (additional 6-pin or 8-pin connectors) will OC very nicely while the impatient early adopter tards may continue to struggle with their FEs and all the limitations.

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. May 21, 2016, 14:36 CJ_Parker

Does he think he's smartypants supercool when not addressing the valid concerns and questions of fans of his company's most popular franchise? You know, the people he made billions off?

What a fucking pretentious pompous retarded fatso dickwad. Now I'll make extra sure to buy my keys from other stores than Steam whenever possible.

Fuck Valve.

News Comments > Elite Dangerous Expansion Next Week
11. Re: Elite Dangerous Expansion Next Week May 21, 2016, 10:16 CJ_Parker

Ummm yeah. I actually mentioned that in my post, too. And? It's still miles better than most other KS projects which have broken entire shopping lists full of promises or totally failed on deliveries (Star Citizen, Divinity Original Sin, PoE, Wasteland 2).

I don't have a problem with always online because I am always online. You can still play solo in E:D (same as e.g. Diablo 3). You just have to share the negligible drop in a barrel player-made effects on the humongous 400 billion star systems with everyone else. Wow. How terrible. Seriously, it shouldn't be too hard to find a nice cosy corner all for yourself. This broken promise was a complete non-issue for most people. It was unfortunate and poorly communicated (too late) but no big deal in the end.

I would back Frontier again anytime. But gigs like CIG, Obsidian and inXile can go and fuck themselves.

News Comments > Elite Dangerous Expansion Next Week
9. Re: Elite Dangerous Expansion Next Week May 21, 2016, 05:13 CJ_Parker

eRe4s3r wrote on May 20, 2016, 19:47:
Is this the DLC that adds a goal to the game? Or is it still mostly a sandbox...

If you're interested in goals then there is always community goals that players can participate in with weekly updates, events, and there is also some story content in the game revolving around the political situation of certain space sectors (it's called 'Powerplay' check here ).

Links for more info:

- The latest newsletters (they still send them out weekly with an amazing amount of updates every time... big ass kudos to Frontier for their hard work!)
- Elite Dangerous Official Community Website
- Official YouTube channel
- Unofficial YouTube channel of one of the most dedicated community members and another good one is this one here

Elite Dangerous is one of the very few KS games I do not regret backing. Except for the promise of offline play and delayed shipments of the physical swag (but then I got some stuff twice so that sort of made up for it Wink ), they have done an outstanding job with the game. And in spite of the Shitbox version that came out in the meantime this is a game that still looks and plays awesome on the PC. They have done a stellar job and not fucked things up for the PC gamers like most devs would have.

It's nice to see how the game is now getting filled with more and more content. As a KS backer at the founder's level I'm getting all the season updates for free. Great stuff and I'm looking forward to getting back into the game one of these days or at the very latest when there is the 2nd gen of VR headsets available. This is a game that must be absolutely incredible in VR.

News Comments > Free Forge - Halo 5: Guardians Edition for Windows 10 Announced
15. Re: Free Forge - Halo 5: Guardians Edition for Windows 10 Announced May 20, 2016, 16:19 CJ_Parker

The Half Elf wrote on May 20, 2016, 12:25:
What I don't get is why Microsoft is giving PC users GIMPED versions of their games.

Give me Forza 6 full edition like the consoles and I would gladly pay full price for it. But when you strip out shit like Multiplayer I have ZERO use for it (and it really is pretty sweet game).

But is this just a gimped version of multiplayer where you have to build everything?

What do you mean you don't get it? Buy a Shitbox already, will ya?!?!?

Who the fuck is in charge of PC gaming at Microsoft?

The whole gaming division is run by Phil "I'm dumber than a retarded brick" Spencer. Yeah. Fuck that guy!

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
1. Re: Evening Mobilization May 19, 2016, 20:18 CJ_Parker

But according to Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos, the Fire Phone is a "tiny little blip" compared to some of the larger experiments his company is working on now.

"If you think that's a big failure, we're working on much bigger failures right now. And I am not kidding. And some of them are going to make the Fire Phone look like a tiny little blip," Bezos said in an interview with The Washington Post's executive editor, Martin Baron, on Wednesday.

Bezos is famous for his knack of taking experiments and accepting failure as a learning experience. He reiterated his thinking during the interview.

"The size of your mistakes needs to grow along with" the company, Bezos said. "If it doesn't, you're not going to be inventing at scale that can actually move the needle."

And to do so, you need to make "big, noticeable" mistakes.

"Yeah we fucked up but you ain't seen nothing yet, bitches!"

BWWWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA that guy is my kind of clown. I think I'm in love!

News Comments > Evening Patches
8. Re: Evening Patches May 19, 2016, 13:29 CJ_Parker

sauron wrote on May 19, 2016, 09:55:
eRe4s3r wrote on May 19, 2016, 09:19:
NetHead wrote on May 19, 2016, 08:51:
eRe4s3r wrote on May 19, 2016, 06:43:
Drayth wrote on May 18, 2016, 23:29:
Big Throne of Bhaal spoiler with no warning in the patch notes.

Isn't a spoiler if you beat the game a few times...

So a spoiler isn't a spoiler if you already know, never would have guessed...

Yeah, but that spoiler isn't really a spoiler which you'd know if you had read it. The loot transition issue between SoA and ToB is a bug that was not in the original game to begin with. And aside that, all it tells you is that there is an end-fight..

Edit: Or they had already changed it by the time I read it.

This is all fine, but the 800lb Cave Troll in the room is why after remaking BG1 and BG2, these developers made Siege of Dragonspear (which sucks), in preference to remaking Planescape Torment, which would have been awesomecake with awesomesauce and frosting. It would have sold a bucketload of copies and earned them a ton of goodwill from RPG fans. Just doesn't make sense.

Dude, they haven't "remade" the BGs and Icewind Dale 1. These are just enhanced editions. Still the same shitty engine with a bit of modding and some new content thrown in for good measure.

And the reasons they have not (yet) looked into EEs of Icewind Dale 2 and PST are technical. The Infinity engine of those games has been heavily modified compared to the BGs and Icewind Dale 1.

BG is definitely the much more popular franchise so it actually made fucktons of sense to focus on EEs of BG and Icewind Dale.
But who knows? Maybe we'll get EEs of PST and IwD 2 after they are done fully patching up the BGs, SoD and IwD 1 but they have a pretty long term plan to keep enhancing these games so I would not bet on it happening anytime soon.

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 19, 2016, 13:14 CJ_Parker

Dude who wrote that Win 10 article is retarded...

Windows 10 has been with us for a little over eight months now, which means there are only about four months remaining to get a free upgrade from an older Windows operating system

Ummm... whaddafuq? It has long been confirmed by Mickeysoft that July 29th is the cutoff date. That's a little over two months, not four. Goddammit. What a math-impaired shitcock!

News Comments > Fallout 4 Far Harbor Released
10. Re: Fallout 4 Far Harbor Released May 19, 2016, 13:10 CJ_Parker

The only real bargain is buying the GOTY for $4.99 on Steam one day. It's a single player game. The content ain't going nowhere. No need to rush shit.  

News Comments > Take-Two Financials
1. removed May 18, 2016, 20:16 CJ_Parker

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on May 19, 2016, 08:05.

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: EA chief creative director and gaming guru Richard Hilleman leaves company… May 18, 2016, 20:01 CJ_Parker

Aaaaawwwwwww crap....  

13. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 18, 2016, 19:19 CJ_Parker

BIGtrouble77 wrote on May 18, 2016, 15:54:
Anyone know if the AMD Polaris 10 is intended to compete with the 1080? I'm really confused about this generation's cards... I want to go AMD, but I don't want to wait for next year's Vega cards. I also don't want to pay $700 for a card just out of the gate.

Nope. AMD is aiming at the $299 target with Polaris on the desktop and laptops for the back to school season.

They won't have anything on nVidia Pascal GP104 for a very long time most likely. AMD's big chip, Vega with HBM2, was always supposed to be out in early 2017. Then rumors surfaced recently (after the GTX 1080 reveal) that AMD might do an early release in October to counter Pascal. Whether that is true or AMD fanboy dreams remains to be seen.
I doubt that AMD can get their paws on enough HBM2 for a hard launch of Vega that early so the more likely scenario is that AMD will in fact have nothing (shippable) to pit against Pascal until well into 2017.

News Comments > NVIDIA GTX 1080 Review Roundup
67. Re: NVIDIA GTX 1080 Review Roundup May 18, 2016, 07:40 CJ_Parker

Lord Tea wrote on May 18, 2016, 02:41:
eRe4s3r wrote on May 17, 2016, 17:25:
Well you are right of course, 4k is a total niche yet, but I had hoped this might be a "buy it now and it lasts 5 to 10 years" card...

Still.. the 1070 benchmarks are the real interesting meat, since this card is 700$... that's about 300 orks more than I would ever pay for a GPU

Problem is: according to the posted (by NV) specs the 1070 is going to be significantly slower than the 1080 with approximately 2/3 of its performance (lower clocks, 1920 shaders vs 2560, only GDDR5 and presumably a crippled memory bus - NV kept alarmingly quiet about this). Price: $379.
So the 1070 will be slightly faster than a GTX980 but definitely slower than a 980Ti.

If the number of purported shaders is true then I don't think it will have a "crippled" memory interface (note that a more narrow memory interface does not make it crippled by default as long as all lanes are properly connected... the GTX 970 was a very unique specimen in that regard and there were many GPUs before it with a narrower memory interface than other chips of the same kind that did not have the same limitations).

Anyway, if 1920 shaders is in fact true then the GTX 1070 probably just has one entire GPC disabled and that's it. It would most likely still have a 256-bit bus in that case and the other three GPCs would each be fully connected to the memory bus sans any sort of "crippling".
That's the most likely scenario if 1920 is true. Anything else that includes "crippling" would actually be very (unnecessarily) complicated to implement.

News Comments > Homefront: The Revolution Released
11. Re: Homefront: The Revolution Released May 18, 2016, 07:29 CJ_Parker

Wesp5 wrote on May 18, 2016, 03:13:
I still can't get over the stupid setting. I mean North Korea occuping the USA? How could this even be remotely possible?

And I can't get over the very tight limitations of the yank brain which appears to be incapable of understanding the artistic liberties of a FICTIONAL setting. As a non-yank it is extremely amusing to observe how y'all react to such a hypothetical invasion of your country as if some chick just gave you a handjob, slipped and ended up fisting yer asshole.

Hilarious. It really is a fascinating glimpse into the abyss of the American psyche which seems to be so self-absorbed in its patriotic nationalism that even a totally fictional crisis seems like an impossible thought. Then again y'all are about to make Donald Duck a presidential candidate. Or was it Trump? Or Duck? Who cares? Same comedic act basically...

Yeah. Fascinating. Consider moi stunned and amazed.

3364 Comments. 169 pages. Viewing page 15.
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo