Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Daniel

Real Name Daniel   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname CJ_Parker
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2006, 23:49
Total Comments 3613 (Veteran)
User ID 24408

User comment history
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

News Comments > GeForce Experience 3.0 Released
19. Re: Into the Black Sep 8, 2016, 19:09 CJ_Parker

Suppa is completely right. Everyone who is using Steam has in fact already proven that they are willing to "take it up the ass" in all sorts of ways.

Look at what he responded to which was an insinuation that nVidia might lock people out of their games. Well, Valve already does that daily when they rightfully (or maybe sometimes not?) ban Steam accounts.

Steam also requires an account and they track the living shit out of people even if you have opted out of the hardware survey. Steam tracks which games you play, when you play, who plays your games (family sharing), how much you play, how often you play, they track your wishlists, your preferences, your store browsing history, they use invisible pixels to track your every mouse movement and keyboard entries on the store pages, they track your friends list, your associated accounts (Facebook, Google, YT if you have entered them) and so on and so on and so on...

So, yeah, it is indeed pretty fucking retarded and hypocritical of someone who uses Steam (or Origin, uPlay, B.net... whatever) to complain about GFE registration.

^ says Mr. C.J. Parker who uses both Steam and the new GFE with registration but who chooses to not embarrass himself by displaying his ignorance.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda Trailer
24. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Trailer Sep 8, 2016, 14:19 CJ_Parker

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 8, 2016, 04:14:
DangerDog wrote on Sep 8, 2016, 00:44:
Creston wrote on Sep 7, 2016, 23:39:
Looks... okay. I'm sorry, THIS is what you guys chose to show off 4K? A dark vault with barely anything to see?

and it's visibly tearing 1/3 from the top of the screen (ALPHA VERSION!)

Sure, but it's Frostbyte 3 and that engine is pretty stable And around the 25 seconds mark you can see that the ground is essentially not even textured and that even the cover looks low res and blurry. I get it, it's a tech demo for 4K/HDR 10 but.. what's the point showing something like that in a dark foggy cave? After people saw how BF1 looked (Which definitely is the BY FAR prettiest game to come out this year)..

My point being, this is Frostbyte, same engine used in BF1.. so wide open area with extreme view-range and detail would have been far better showcase. That is where frostbyte shines.

Dude...

It's Frostbite, not "Frostbyte" or "frostbyte".

That said, I'm not a huge fan of that engine. Does it look pretty nice on the surface? Yeah. But it always gives me this sterile, detached and artificial feeling. It's like you are looking at the world through a very polished, high gloss camera lens. You're not really "there". It's not visceral in any way, shape or form. You're more an observer and less a participant. It fucking sucks.

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda Trailer
1. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Trailer Sep 7, 2016, 19:08 CJ_Parker

Console garbage.  

News Comments > Red Dead Redemption PC Rumors Resurface
10. Re: Red Dead Redemption PC Rumors Resurface Sep 6, 2016, 11:06 CJ_Parker

GinRummy wrote on Sep 6, 2016, 10:57:
I played both Call of Juarez games, which look similar, at least in setting, but I have no idea if they actually are. Is RDR that much better or different?

The CoJ games are totally awesome and from a dev who actually respects PC gamers so they are automatically much better by default.

News Comments > Red Dead Redemption PC Rumors Resurface
5. Re: Red Dead Redemption PC Rumors Resurface Sep 6, 2016, 10:43 CJ_Parker

Fuck you, Rockstar. If they really do release this now, I'm going to pirate the game to give them a real reason to keep hating PC gamers.  

News Comments > Mafia III Content Plans
2. Re: Mafia III Content Plans Sep 5, 2016, 17:18 CJ_Parker

One head’s up, though: If you buy the story expansions separately, they will run you a total of $39.97*. With the Season Pass, you get them all for $29.99**. (Or, if you buy the Deluxe Edition of Mafia III for $79.99***, it includes the full game and the Season Pass – which saves you a total of $19.97.)

^ Nope. €9.99 for the GOTY. Max.

Season pass scam aside, they deserve at least some minor kudos for actually letting people know the contents of the pass beforehand instead of "buy now and maybe we'll release some stuff later" which, among others, EA and Bethesda like to do.

News Comments > Star Citizen Squadron 42 Next Year?
51. Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 Next Year? Sep 5, 2016, 11:14 CJ_Parker

dsmart wrote on Sep 5, 2016, 10:44:
Yeah, OK, whatever makes you sleep at night.

After all this time of my raising the alarm, all of a sudden "everyone saw it coming". yeah, OK.

Well, to be fair the concerns about the originally given release window (end of 2014) have been around since day one. It has been discussed to death in RSI chat and various forums on the net since the very first days of the campaign.

The funny part is how the White Knights have changed their tune since then.
If (like me, you and many others) you dared to question whether CIG would be able to deliver a full fledged single player game (there was no talk of an episodic release in the early days), a full fledged MMO/PU, player-run servers *and* mod tools in only two years, you had the White Knight brigade cracking down on you and telling you that the game is made by Christ Roberts and that he is the most experienced game developer in the world and everyone who doubts anything is clueless.

Nowadays, you have the very same White Knights defending the delays by posting funny charts of how WoW or Diablo 3 took this long to develop and that it is only logical and was ALWAYS (of course) to be expected that SC would be delayed.
They like to call everyone clueless who believed in the dates originally given by CR/CIG. You know, the same dates that, if you did NOT believe in them in 2012, you got called being clueless as well for not believing in the grandmaster God of game development Christ Roberts Superstar Himself.

Anyway, to say that you "invented" the concerns about delays is a little far-fetched, Derek. Almost everyone (except for the CR cultists) was concerned about it from day one but then Christ Roberts told people to keep pledging so he can hire more people and that more devs would actually get things done faster (yes, he effectively even promised delivery BEFORE the end of 2014 given enough capital supply).

It became clear rather quickly for anyone with open eyes and ears that CR was intentionally dangling the carrot always within reach to keep people pledging. CR likes to excuse himself for his unrealistic dates by saying that he is an "optimist". That is obviously bullshit.
He said at Gamescom 2015 that they were hoping to have the "full" PU online by 2016. Just like the original end of 2014 dates or the numerous missed release dates for the various modules, he can not have seriously believed that. He's not an optimist. He is a fraudulent conman.

Finally, here's my fav quote again (from October 2012 and you can tell from the way the question is worded that there was already a lot of doubt about the given release timeframe back in the first few days):

You have stated that you expect to have an Alpha up and going in about 12 months, with a beta roughly 10 months after that and then launch. For a game of this size and scope, do you think you can really be done in the next two years?

Chris Roberts: Really it is all about constant iteration from launch. The whole idea is to be constantly updating. It isn’t like the old days where you had to have everything and the kitchen sink in at launch because you weren’t going to come back to it for awhile. We’re already one year in - another two years puts us at 3 total which is ideal. Any more and things would begin to get stale.

16. Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 Next Year? Sep 4, 2016, 16:09 CJ_Parker

Comet wrote on Sep 4, 2016, 15:40:
It is easy to predict what is going to happen next.
In the next Citizencon dated for the 9th of October, they are going to show an impressive, probably very polished SQ42 demo.

Definitely. If CIG is good at one thing then it is producing marketing material like flashy trailers and demos (that never materialize in the actual delivery, of course). There will be lots of wet panties again at CitizenCon as always when CR hits a stage.

There are also rumors about what will happen next year which I find sound very plausible.
A prelude release with a bit of walking around the mother ship, getting to meet some of the important characters and maybe flying a first simple recon mission will buy them time and release some of the immense built-by-hype pressure of having to make a big splash with the full release (of the full 1st episode).

11. Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 Next Year? Sep 4, 2016, 15:11 CJ_Parker

Date: 2012-10-19

You have stated that you expect to have an Alpha up and going in about 12 months, with a beta roughly 10 months after that and then launch. For a game of this size and scope, do you think you can really be done in the next two years?

Chris Roberts: Really it is all about constant iteration from launch. The whole idea is to be constantly updating. It isn’t like the old days where you had to have everything and the kitchen sink in at launch because you weren’t going to come back to it for awhile. We’re already one year in - another two years puts us at 3 total which is ideal. Any more and things would begin to get stale.

Newsflash, Chris: It ain't stale anymore. It's fucking mummified, bro.

All that said, it has been clear for a long time that they won't make it this year. Well, at least if they wanted to avoid the most embarrassing game launch in history which apparently they did. The game is nowhere even near release shape. The engine is still missing tons of features, the flight model is abysmal, the animations are horrible, the UI is a clusterfuck and it's generally buggy and wonky all over the place.

If you hire Hollywood talent, you do not want to embarrass yourself and the folks you have hired in front of the whole world. Instead you want to release a very polished game so people like Oldman, Anderson, Serkis, Hamill etc. don't freak out if their name is associated with a piece of shit video game.

That's why I'm almost half convinced that even next year may be stretching it if progress continues at this current slower than a snail's pace. I mean there's demos and trailers that need to be made to extract more monies from people. Can't focus on S42. No, no. Got to get those priorities straight and keep milking the easy-to-impress simpletons. So... 2018. Maybe. Or 2017 but with only a tiny fraction of the content (a very short first episode) just to placate people.

News Comments > Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary Edition World Tour
15. Re: Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary Edition World Tour Sep 3, 2016, 16:16 CJ_Parker

meh@cashgrab  

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided DLC This Month
6. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided DLC This Month Sep 2, 2016, 12:04 CJ_Parker

And of course this DLC was not finished at launch a couple of weeks ago and could not be included with the main game... Rolleyes

Really sad part is people will lap this up like divine urine instead of questioning this shitty practice of bringing back popular characters from a previous game as DLC only.

News Comments > ARK Expansion
6. Re: ARK Expansion Sep 1, 2016, 22:25 CJ_Parker

Never gave them a dime cuz I'm smart like that  

News Comments > Mess Affect: Mass Effect Remasters Hopes Dashed
3. removed Sep 1, 2016, 10:43 CJ_Parker

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Sep 1, 2016, 12:42.

News Comments > Battlefield 1 Open Beta
60. Re: Battlefield 1 Open Beta Aug 31, 2016, 18:24 CJ_Parker

DangerDog wrote on Aug 31, 2016, 17:57:
Everywhere I've read says 42% is actually 100% resolution scaling

AAaahh good to know thanks... I guess I forgot to take a course in EA/DICE maths but now that you mention it... of course! 100% = 42%! Doooh. What was I even thinking? It's plain as day now!

57. Re: Battlefield 1 Open Beta Aug 31, 2016, 17:18 CJ_Parker

Shitty beta.

Not only is EA/Origin offline but WTF is this shit:

- You can not map your thumb mouse button to reload? Seriously EA/DICE? In 2016 you fuckers are not supporting more than three mouse buttons, even though every other game in your same shitty franchise does, so I have to assume you were simply too fucking retarded to copy&paste your own shitty console garbage crap code?

- WTF is this resolution scaling bullshit under the video options??? Mine was set to 42% default (GTX 1070). I have a 1440p display. So the game renders a less than 720p version internally to cheat its way to higher performance giving me the impression that all is well when in reality it is cheating on me like a bored rich mid western housewife??

TL;DR Fuck EA. As always and again and again and forever after. Amen.

2. Re: Battlefield 1 Open Beta Aug 31, 2016, 10:15 CJ_Parker

They haven't announced an end date yet as far as I can tell.

Nice free demo so I'm downloading this but the full game = /puke /pass /next

News Comments > New Intel CPUs Revealed
14. Re: New Intel CPUs Revealed Aug 30, 2016, 20:25 CJ_Parker

Saboth wrote on Aug 30, 2016, 19:51:
... but growing up, if you waited about 6 years between CPU upgrades, you were looking at an increase of probably 100-150%.

Yes, if you grew up as a millennial but if you were old enough to care about CPU performance in the 1990s then 100% to 150% does not even begin to cover it.

I remember buying a top of the line computer for thousands of $$$ in 1996 that was powered by a Pentium 166MHz.
Six years later in 2002, you could buy CPUs in the Athlon XP 2000+ (January) to 2800+ (October) range.

That was easily a 1000%+ (10 times) increase right there. Due to architectural changes in addition to MMX/SSE etc. probably even considerably more than the performance rating of 2800 vs. 166 would suggest (which is already about a factor of 1600%+ or more than 16 times as fast on paper).

News Comments > New Intel CPUs Revealed
12. Re: New Intel CPUs Revealed Aug 30, 2016, 18:14 CJ_Parker

Simon Says wrote on Aug 30, 2016, 12:40:
Intel has been sitting like a fat Jabba the Hut on its laurels. Its a joke.

This is complete bullshit.

Like all foundries, Intel has run into real physical limitations. Look at Intel, GloFo, TSMC, Samsung... they are all struggling with roughly the same issues like leakage currents, heat dissipation, yields and cost efficiency etc. as they move from one node to another.

Aside from physical limitations, there is also the economic angle. Look at TSMC: Their R&D expenditures have 'sploded from NT$34bn in 2011 to NT$66bn because making chips is getting (even more) increasingly complex.
Intel's R&D expenditure has risen by a more modest ~50% from $8.3bn in 2011 to $12.1bn in 2015. Yep. They are totally slacking off Rolleyes .

Could they potentially speed up development? Yes. They probably could... by taking some shortcuts, by taking some huge enormous gigantic risks and by burning through billions in cash senselessly like in all out economic and ecologic hara-kari fashion. But why? It would be totally retarded and also completely unnecessary in a shrinking PC market environment.

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers
21. Re: New GeForce Drivers Aug 30, 2016, 17:33 CJ_Parker

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Aug 30, 2016, 17:26:
Just a heads up to everyone with 900-series cards, according to the driver release notes, this driver enables "Fast Sync" on your cards now. I'm pretty excited about this addition, as I do not have a g-sync monitor. No tearing and no v-sync with a minimal input lag hit. Some games like the new Unreal Tournament will benefit greatly from this addition, as the tearing is awful in that game, and there is no way any competitive player would ever turn v-sync on.

FastSync is only truly beneficial in high fps scenarios. Good luck getting 2x or 3x as much fps (120 to 180fps on a 60Hz screen) as your refresh rate with a GTX 9xx card in the new UT.

From here...

The major downside of Fast Sync is that (as a senior Nvidia engineer explains here) it is only truly beneficial in very high FPS situations, typically when your framerate is at least 2-3x your display's refresh rate (e.g. 120-180 FPS and above on a 60Hz monitor). At lower framerates, because of the way Fast Sync essentially samples/drops frames, you may notice similar sorts of latency issues as traditional VSync On, as well as stuttering. So in practical terms you should only consider enabling Fast Sync in older games, or newer games where the settings have been turned right down; basically only in games where you can guarantee very high framerates.

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers
17. Re: New GeForce Drivers Aug 30, 2016, 17:24 CJ_Parker

Sempai wrote on Aug 30, 2016, 12:59:
HoSpanky wrote on Aug 30, 2016, 12:50:
The graphics update isn't terribly noticeable. Turning on max view distance DESTROYS your framerate, and this is on a 1080. Now, I AM running SSAA 4x, so I'm rendering every frame at well over 4K. *Might* have something to do with it. But it looks WAY better in the close-field areas that way, and I'm not terribly worried about seeing the outline of mountains two zones over.

I doubt the new drivers help much at all, but I'll do some testing.

Question? Why run ssaax4 at 4k resolution? Other than typical anti-aliasing smearing effect and a dip in image quality, why run it at all at 4k? It's a significant performance killer.

I'm not trying to be snarky. Is there something i'm missing here?
One of the benefits of running 4k for me(for the most part)is the ability to finally get rid of anti-aliasing altogether for a nice crisp image without blurred colors etc.

You always want to run at least 2x AA even if you had 128K res. Why? Because it creates a much smoother image. Even tiny jaggies at high resolutions cause a slightly flickering image. This is especially true in games with lots of "edges", of course, like games with a lot of grass and leaves etc.
It is completely an urban myth that you can drop AA as long as the res is high enough. That's total BS.

3613 Comments. 181 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo