Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Duffy

Real Name Duffy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname CJ_Parker
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2006, 23:49
Total Comments 4114 (Master)
User ID 24408

User comment history
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

News Comments > $45K Star Citizen Refund?
31. Re: $45K Star Citizen Refund? Sep 14, 2017, 12:52 CJ_Parker

jdreyer wrote on Sep 14, 2017, 12:39:
El Pit wrote on Sep 14, 2017, 12:35:
$45K spent on a game in development... Optimism? Madness? Both?
Investment. I'm sure they were either planning on selling the packages when they were no longer available (i.e. when the game "shipped") or selling off ships individually.

^ this

I haven't checked the "grey market" (bullshit term) in a while but you could always make some nice money in the past from selling ships or game packages with LTI (life-time insurance).

The best time was early on when LTI was kept rather limited (it was originally even meant to never be available again past November 2013 IIRC but that became one of the many broken promises). I have personally also sold off ships and packages for 100%+ profit back then.
Ever since, there have been many changes and you can now get LTI on most of your ships via cross-chassis upgrades (requiring some investment in a new ship with LTI to begin with, of course).

The LTI market certainly isn't what it used to be and with interest in the game dwindling, I can totally see why these huge investors are pulling out. It will be interesting to see whether this refund did really happen and if it will maybe cause a domino effect. I am quite sure that a significant portion of game assets is held by investors.
The way how fast ships would sell sometimes in the past and in such vast quantities... this wasn't just rabid fantards but a huge part of it was always grey market resellers.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > BlizzCon Virtual Tickets
1. Re: BlizzCon Virtual Tickets Sep 13, 2017, 22:28 CJ_Parker

Bwwwwaaaaahahahahahaha $40 for watching THEIR ADVERTSING SHOW (you know, where they should be glad if anyone tunes in for free or even pay YOU to watch it). It's like if QVC would charge for watching their tele shopping shows.
This is so incredibly stupid. The only thing even dumber and sadder is that there are more than enough mouthbreathers who will probably even consider this a good deal.

News Comments > Play The Division Free This Weekend
7. Re: Play The Division Free This Weekend Sep 13, 2017, 04:33 CJ_Parker

I'm gonna play a lot of (free) games this weekend but certainly not this casual Ubishit dumbass game.  

News Comments > FIFA 18 Demo
3. Re: FIFA 18 Demo Sep 13, 2017, 04:32 CJ_Parker

Well, I guess it depends. If you get to play the story of Philipp Lahm or Bastian Schweinsteiger then it probably is indeed boring as hell. However, if you get to play as Eric Cantona, Paul Gascoigne or Zlatan Ibrahimovic then it'll be quite a ride!  

News Comments > No More Arkham Games?
4. Re: No More Arkham Games? Sep 11, 2017, 21:38 CJ_Parker

They ain't gonna do more "classic" Arkham games cuz those games had single player. What they are gonna do instead is create some Arkham multiplayer garbage with microtransactions, DLC and loot boxes out da azz.
The sad part is that just like Destiny 2, GR Wildlands, R6S, ME:SoW, CoD, BF1, SWBF, Division etc. people are gonna buy it like hotcakes, too.
Single player is dead these days. It's gonna take a number of costly failures to reverse the trend (hopefully soon).

News Comments > Star Citizen 3.0 "Akin to Early Access"
31. Re: Star Citizen 3.0 Sep 11, 2017, 21:23 CJ_Parker

SlimRam wrote on Sep 11, 2017, 20:56:
Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 11, 2017, 20:29:
Is it just me, or does that announcement sound like a company that's been working on a game for about a year? ie.. not as long as these guys have...
Honestly, to me, it sounds like a minimum viable product situation. Chris is starting to realize that this huge entire game that he's been trying to create is never going to see the light of day. Now, he's basically telling his customers, "This is the game and this is what is going to be sold, sorry, but I HAVE to release something."

Yup. Whenever he manages to take a break from his "never been done before", "revolutionary"... blahblah... speeches then CR has his lucida intervalla and remembers that he might get his ass sued to hell and back if he doesn't at least deliver... something, anything... and totally against his usual over-confident self, he started talking about a MVP about a year ago himself.

It's when he started to cover his bases...

“We’ll have what we determine as a minimal viable product feature list for what you would call Star Citizen the commercial release, which is basically when you say OK, we’ve got to this point and we still have plans to add a lot more cool stuff, and more content, and more functionality, and more features, which by the way includes some of the later stretch goals which we have because not all of that will be right here fo the commercial release. But we’ll have something where we think, ‘Yeh, now everyone can play it, it doesn’t matter, you can load it up, it plays really well, it’s really stable, there’s lots of content, there’s lots of fun things to do, different professions, places to go’.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
7. Re: NVIDIA’s performance improvement per generation has dropped from 70% (pre-2010) to 30% (post-201 Sep 10, 2017, 15:37 CJ_Parker

All the big foundries (Intel, GloFo, TSMC etc.) are struggling with real physical limitations on the path to smaller and smaller nodes. It is complete grade A bullshit when some fantards of either camp are claiming that it (the slow progress) all has to do with complacency.

How would that even work? Do Intel engineers get a couple hours off per work day to wank off?

What a silly bunch of crap. They are always moving full steam ahead, testing, iterating, testing again... CPU/GPU development is incredibly complex.
If you look at the financial reports of the big foundries, you can see that their R&D expenses have exploded in recent years. They are trying hard to push on but it's not as easy as ten years ago when "all you had to do" was buy some new equipment to make your fabs ready for a smaller manufacturing process.

There is zero room for complacency. Intel has pretty much lost the whole mobile market to gigs like Qualcomm and Samsung. There is no time for sleep.
nVidia is pushing full steam ahead because they are already seeing huge new avenues in automotive and the supercomputing sector which might spur their growth big time. But they rely on TSMC and... see start of this post... they are struggling just like everyone else due to real technical hurdles that take time to overcome.

Specifically for Intel you can find a pretty good and not overly long article here at Anandtech that explains why it is taking them so long to move to 10nm+. Newsflash: It's not because their engineers are scratching their balls, playing with their dicks or picking their noses all day. Imagine that.

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Sep 9, 2017, 13:12 CJ_Parker

"We put together a really cool AI system but it sucked up too much performance and it was eating frames from the game and we had to get performance up. We wound up making our guys stupider late in development because there wasn't a good way to go back and change it at that point. If we could have gone back in time we could have come up with a better overall system but it was too late to do that."

^ that right there sums up perfectly what's wrong with Obshittian. They make shit stupid all the time. That is the no. 1 problem with these jokers.

News Comments > Destiny 2 Curse of Osiris Expansion Revealed
12. Re: Destiny 2 Curse of Osiris Expansion Revealed Sep 9, 2017, 01:30 CJ_Parker

|RaptoR| wrote on Sep 8, 2017, 22:29:
CJ_Parker wrote on Sep 8, 2017, 20:25:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 8, 2017, 19:42:
You guys really need to wait until the game ships before announcing DLC.

Why? The tards will buy this game no matter what and the real pro-tards will now preorder two copies cuz OMG ITS EVEN GITTIN SPANSHUNS!!!111

Or maybe they'll buy the game because it's fun. Huh. Who'd have thought?

Well, yes, I have no doubts that Destiny is a game that is tons of FUN for tards and especially pro-tards. That was my point actually.

News Comments > Destiny 2 Curse of Osiris Expansion Revealed
3. Re: Destiny 2 Curse of Osiris Expansion Revealed Sep 8, 2017, 20:25 CJ_Parker

jdreyer wrote on Sep 8, 2017, 19:42:
You guys really need to wait until the game ships before announcing DLC.

Why? The tards will buy this game no matter what and the real pro-tards will now preorder two copies cuz OMG ITS EVEN GITTIN SPANSHUNS!!!111

News Comments > Windows 10 Game Mode Update Next Month
9. Re: Windows 10 Game Mode Update Next Month Sep 3, 2017, 15:58 CJ_Parker

LittleMe wrote on Sep 3, 2017, 15:33:
right from a new button on the Game bar.

Oh please no no no stop!!!!! No no no no no!

Dude, relax. With a bit of googling you will easily find guides that explain how to disable or uninstall everything that fucks with gaming. I have turned everything off from the Shitbox app to game mode, game dvr, game bar, all of it. All of those things are just additional spying/telemetry tools anyway or plain adware. Fuck the consolization of the OS. Mickeysoft can stuff that superfluous unnecessary crapware where the sun don't shine.

5. Re: Windows 10 Game Mode Update Next Month Sep 3, 2017, 14:15 CJ_Parker

If you wanna buy a new "toy" then buy a fleshlight or a real doll or something but not a PC-backstabbing "toy" for lazy couch-dwelling tards from the assholes in Redmond. I'd be extra grateful if you would be this considerate.
IF you have to buy a console at all please get a PS4 Pro instead because Sony does not intentionally sabotage and screw over PC gamers every five minutes. Better exclusives, too.

2. Re: Windows 10 Game Mode Update Next Month Sep 3, 2017, 13:57 CJ_Parker

It's burgers and BSE I tellz ya. The worst nightmares of the 1990s BSE craze have come true. Whole nations of mouthbreathing mad cow tards because of BSE burgers. Murrica is super-affected because of the popularity of shitty fast food, of course.

Me I don't even eat beef. I'm a natural loony!

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin 2 Character and CE Unveiled
5. Re: Divinity: Original Sin 2 Character and CE Unveiled Sep 1, 2017, 16:18 CJ_Parker

MT Silver wrote on Sep 1, 2017, 16:14:
When is this coming out? Feels like I've seen dev updates for years now.

You mean the finished game (Enhanced Edition) or the early access alpha?
The early access alpha will be out next month on September 14th. The finished game... who knows. Probably in a year or two.

News Comments > QUAKE Development History Dispute
30. Re: QUAKE Development History Dispute Aug 31, 2017, 18:48 CJ_Parker

Orogogus wrote on Aug 31, 2017, 17:26:
DOOM 3 BFG: 679K
DOOM: 550K
DOOM II: 542K
DOOM 3: 491K
Quake: 430K
Quake II: 406K
Quake III: 399K
Quake IV: 216K

Weird that DOOM 3 is ranked so high in sales. I thought the general opinion of that one was solidly negative because of monster closets and flashlights.

Not surprising at all. Doom 3 has been out for a long time, seen plenty of deep discount sales and still runs on a large variety of system configurations to this day. The software and hardware hasn't really changed all that much in the last 15 years. Most games from the early 2000s will run with minimal effort on modern systems.

The old games, however, mostly require mods to work correctly. They are pre-digital era, some of them were made for 16-bit OS when we didn't even have a frickin' GUI yet.
They were also made in an era when progress was crazy fast. While Doom 3 BFG still holds up graphically, some of the older id games began to look old after a mere 12 months due to newer better technologies (3Dfx Glide), MUCH faster CPUs (100% performance increase in 12 months was kinda normal then) etc. etc. etc.

Oh man... so many factors. There is also the fact that computers were MUCH more expensive and really only for nerds at the time of the early id games. The whole (broadband) internet revolution where every household bought a PC to be able to go online had not happened yet. There were only humble dial-up beginnings with AOL, Compuserve et al.
In other words, the video games market was so much (much, much, much) smaller than when Doom 3 came out it is not even funny or any contest at all.

As for the quality of Doom 3 I thought it was utter garbage, way too repetitive and way too long for its own good. It could have been fun maybe as a condensed six hour campaign but the repetitive gameplay, repetitive visuals, repetitive level design, repetitive enemies and endless respawns killed any fun very quickly. What a boring game.

With regard to single player all I can say is LOL if anyone ever had any expectations in that regard. Maybe you were too young back then but what one guy in the thread said earlier is 100% true and I also remember that same exact statement from id.

id openly admitted that they did not even write stories or make games to tell stories. They created the levels and the gameplay and only at the very last minute did they put the levels into an order that would resemble a somewhat logical order, write a bit of story text and that was their "campaign".

It was ALWAYS a complete afterthought in the early games. In fact, the whole game was an afterthought early on. What mattered to id back then was licensing their engine to third parties. They made FUCKTONS more money from whoring out their engines than from game sales. There were so many games made with the Q/Q2 engines... Hexen, Heretic, SiN, SoF, Daikatana, Anachronox, X-Men and many more.
And let's not even get started on the Q3 engine... Star Trek Voyager games, Star Wars Jedi Knight games, Call of Duty, SoF 2, Wolfenstein ET, MoH AA, Alice etc. etc. were all based on id tech 3.

The whole point of id games up to and including Q3A was more to post a showcase for the engine and then cash in on the licensing fees than to actually create and sell decent games.
Personally, I always bought id games for the visual novelty but certainly not because they were good games. It was just fun to check out the leaps in graphical technology back then.

But the games themselves or especially the single player "campaign" (still can't stop LOL'ing at the notion of a "campaign" pre-Quake 4)... big old meh.
The first two Dooms were kinda popcorn fun with a friend and a crate of beer when you had no inclination or money to go out on a Saturday night but the real solo single player experiences were always TEH SUCK in id games. That's a scientific fact.

News Comments > Battlefield 1: A Tsar is Born Next Month
6. Re: Battlefield 1: A Tsar is Born Next Month Aug 31, 2017, 11:41 CJ_Parker

Timmeh wrote on Aug 31, 2017, 11:30:
uh,

Valve introduced HDR in a game and engine like 10 years ago.

Please tell me that was sarcasm.

News Comments > Ancient Frontier Trailer
1. Re: Ancient Frontier Trailer Aug 31, 2017, 11:26 CJ_Parker

...set in space, where no one can hear you flatulate...

Gimme a couple pounds of cabbage and a few pints of beer and we shall see about that, mkay?

News Comments > Aquanox: Deep Descent Trailer
3. Re: Aquanox: Deep Descent Trailer Aug 31, 2017, 11:23 CJ_Parker

Now they just need to learn to revive the good shit instead of the mediocre garbage. Like, instead of Aquanox, revive FreeSpace or instead of Rune revive Gothic.  

News Comments > JCB Pioneer: Mars Trailer
1. Re: JCB Pioneer: Mars Trailer Aug 30, 2017, 21:39 CJ_Parker

No triple bewbs = no buy  

News Comments > MS Open to More Cross-Play with Other Platforms
7. Re: MS Open to More Cross-Play with Other Platforms Aug 30, 2017, 16:01 CJ_Parker

Great idea. Who wouldn't want to mingle with as many dirty console peasants as possible!

/s

4114 Comments. 206 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo