Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Daniel

Real Name Daniel   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname CJ_Parker
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2006, 23:49
Total Comments 3426 (Veteran)
User ID 24408

User comment history
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
8. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jun 29, 2016, 20:30 CJ_Parker

Simon Says wrote on Jun 29, 2016, 19:42:
So I'm stuck to waiting again... The GTX 1060 won't be fully DX12 compliant, so what's left? Wait for the 1160 or Vega? This is a clusterfuck. With Nvidia pulling a preempt hack instead of proper async on one side and AMD pulling a vampire on the other despite very good DX12 implementation. I'm left there holding my HD5850 in one hand and my cash for a good futureproof GPU replacement in the other.

Dude, fuck futureproof and buy a card that you like if you need the performance now. You can always sell on eBay and get a replacement when something much nicer comes along.

DX12 is also hopelessly overrated. It is only (poorly) supported by a handful of games so far. It does not have any fancy new features that improve the visual quality in games. It only makes games run faster if implemented well (and that's a big IF atm).
Heck, I've seen RotTR comparison shots where DX12 looked worse than DX11 with the same settings (not sure if that has been fixed in the meantime?) so what's the point? Just to have a warm fuzzy feeling inside that you're running the latest DX version? Puuhlease...

Devs are going to have to be trained and learn to write proper DX12 code beyond an experimental level. It will still take quite a while for them to tap into the potential. I would expect at least another full year of rather mediocre DX12 results. The holiday season next year may be the first time we see an actual (small) wave of "proper" DX12 games. At the earliest. Serious DX12 business not before 2018.

Thus spoke my infallible crystal ball...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > BioShock: The Collection Leak?
6. Re: BioShock: The Collection Leak? Jun 29, 2016, 19:34 CJ_Parker

Boring. New game or GTFO.  

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
18. Re: Hardware Reviews Jun 29, 2016, 18:17 CJ_Parker

Wallshadows wrote on Jun 29, 2016, 17:59:
As for the 1060, I've heard rumors that it might be a 3/6GB card and fit in the $250/300 ballpark range but those are only rumors.

GTX 1070 = GTX 980Ti/TitanX

So the next logical step where the GTX 1060 6GB would fit in would be somewhere around the GTX 980 and the 3GB variant would replace the 970.
We've seen that Pascal is a great overclocker (temps stay well within limits) and is only held back by the hardlocked voltage. This means that nVidia probably has a lot of flexibility with the GTX 1060 and can freely choose a clock range where they want the card to settle in.

It would be weird if they left a huge gap between the GTX 1070 and the GTX 1060 so right about 980 performance for the 1060 6GB FE seems like a rather safe bet. Maybe a little bit under 980 to leave room for custom models and not get too close to the 1070 FE.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
4. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jun 29, 2016, 17:27 CJ_Parker

Wallshadows wrote on Jun 29, 2016, 14:46:
Not only do you need to comment, you need to have a top level comment.

See... that's why I'm not participating. We all know I'd win all 14!

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
5. Re: Hardware Reviews Jun 29, 2016, 11:59 CJ_Parker

HoSpanky wrote on Jun 29, 2016, 10:29:
EVGA is on top of it again.

No they're not and especially not "again" because their Maxwell ACX models all had issues with the fan control and performed rather poorly compared to other customs.

The best custom cards of the GTX 10x0 are coming from Palit (GameRock), Gainward (Phoenix) and MSI (Gaming 8X) so far.

The only thing EVGA has going for it is warranty but if you want a silent card that performs at the top of the GTX 10x0 spectrum then Palit, Gainward and MSI (in that order) are better options.

And re the 480: Yeah, lol@AMD. This would have been a nice card in 2014 to compete with the GTX 970/980 but now it's only interesting for people who want to upgrade from a card much older than that or from much lower performance levels.
Not impressed at all and this does not bode well for the 14nm FinFET at GloFo for GPUs when looking at efficiency (the 1070 is more than 50% faster on average and consumes much less power).

News Comments > System Shock Kickstarter and Demo
27. Re: System Shock Kickstarter and Demo Jun 29, 2016, 09:25 CJ_Parker

LULZ

I just noticed that they are also making a Shitbox version and you are effectively asked to back the development of PC and Shitbox???

Wideeyed Rubeyes Wideeyed Rubeyes Wideeyed

Well, even if I were not done with crowdfunding that kills it entirely right there. Are they retarded? Why would I help fund the digging of my own grave?

LOOOOOOOOL.

A Shitbox version.

Too funny...

Protest

News Comments > System Shock Kickstarter and Demo
6. Re: System Shock Kickstarter and Demo Jun 28, 2016, 19:03 CJ_Parker

After many disappointments I'm done with crowdfunding so fuck the Kickstarter but kudos and gracias for the free demo. Gonna check that fucker out right now.  

News Comments > G2A Planning Changes
49. Re: G2A Planning Changes Jun 28, 2016, 16:33 CJ_Parker

Verno wrote on Jun 28, 2016, 16:08:
Tachikoma wrote on Jun 28, 2016, 14:51:
I just shed a tear for those poor folks at Steam, scrapping on minimal margins because their operational costs are sooooooooo high!

What a fucking joke this is. Anybody (most?) here old enough to remember "why games cost so much" perennial articles from mags before the digital era? It was always that samey diagram with "real" stores and real media eating up huge chunk of the price.

People were dreaming "ah if only we could eliminate these awful costs! games would be so cheap..." And guess what happened then? A funny thing: games in digi distribution are either the same price or MORE expensive than physical copies.

TL;DR: If you think extortionate digital prices are caused by anything else than pure greed and "because we can!" attitude you`re delusional.

This is a pretty dumb argument. The cost of development has skyrocketed since then, any benefit from going digital has long since been wiped out.

On the one hand, yes, but on the the other hand, the addressable market has also skyrocketed. There are a lot more gamers on consoles and PC than back when the budgets were smaller. The fact that the price for a full price game has barely changed in the last 15 - 20 years shows that both effects about equalize.

Besides, I remember very well that publishers promised us to pass on any cost advantages from the move to digital. Of course that never happened. New games are still 49.99 to 59.99 (often times the latter these days since publishers like to apply console pricing to the PC version, too).

News Comments > System Shock Specs
3. Re: System Shock Specs Jun 28, 2016, 10:25 CJ_Parker

Flo wrote on Jun 28, 2016, 10:17:
Hate that unity crap, I've experienced micro stutters on Homeworld: Kharak and House of the Dying Sun. No clue how to fix that.

Easy fix: Don't play that garbage.

If you want to donate to me for this awesome advice PM me for PayPal details, kthx!

News Comments > G2A Planning Changes
6. Re: G2A Planning Changes Jun 28, 2016, 10:23 CJ_Parker

Cutter wrote on Jun 28, 2016, 10:16:
Well when those greedy fucks stop their bullshit regional pricing we'll stop using services like G2A. They only have themselves to blame. This is mostly all Steam's fault anyway.

^ da truth

J wrote on Jun 28, 2016, 09:59:
Totalbiscuit totally flew off the handle in the last podcast about G2A. I don't think this is going to make him any happier

Who shits a give whether some random tard on YT throws a menstrual tantrum?

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
22. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 28, 2016, 10:13 CJ_Parker

descender wrote on Jun 28, 2016, 09:11:
Overmodded Skyrim is about the only thing... but even those generally run just fine on cards with 2GB of VRAM unless you try to shoehorn in unnecessary 4K textures. The engine starts crashing before you get enough INI modifications in to get the fidelity level "too high" for a 2GB GTX 680/780 anyway.

No one is making market or product decisions for DX9 based on the half a percent of Skyrim owners that would use that type of mod.

I didn't want to write an essay but it should be clear that this is BY FAR not the only scenario where it would be advantageous to be able to access more than 4064MB of graphics RAM (note that this includes but does not equal only VRAM... graphics RAM is VRAM plus the system RAM cache so you are quite a bit under 4GB usable VRAM with this unnecessary and retarded limitation).

Anyway, people with 6GB or 8GB VRAM cards might also want to enjoy older DirectX 9 games with 4K DSR resolutions or in surround mode with 5760x1080 or 7680x1440 resolutions etc. but they can't because of Microshit's laziness, sloppiness and outright incompetence.

As I'm sure you already know, this bug has nothing to do with Windows 10.

True because as I wrote previously myself it is also a problem on the awesome Windows 8.x.
It's still a Microsoft problem and it is a problem that does NOT exist on Windows 7 so Windows 7 >>> Windows 10 for gaming.
Microshit is simply an incompetent shithole. That is an established fact by now.

News Comments > The Division Patch & Expansion Tomorrow
2. Re: The Division Patch & Expansion Tomorrow Jun 27, 2016, 21:49 CJ_Parker

Mhhh.....  

20. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 27, 2016, 20:19 CJ_Parker

descender wrote on Jun 27, 2016, 16:04:
All new games dropped DX9 support a year or two ago. According to the Steam Hardware survey less than 15% of gamers are not on at least DX11, and more than 50% of gamers are still running 2GB or less VRAM. How is what you just described even remotely a problem? What would you even run that only supports DX9 but somehow needs more than 4GB of VRAM?

How about Skyrim, New Vegas or Fallout 3 with mods?

13. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 27, 2016, 15:31 CJ_Parker

HoSpanky wrote on Jun 27, 2016, 15:18:
CJ_Parker wrote on Jun 27, 2016, 14:43:
Shineyguy wrote on Jun 27, 2016, 14:11:
Yosemite Sam wrote on Jun 27, 2016, 13:14:
So all your games are going to work on Windows 7 and 8 right Microsoft? The bullshit is strong with this one, and anyone who believes this BS is in for a surprise when they release the next best thing and and force you to upgrade in order to play the next best game.

For a short time Windows 10 is still a free downgrade. Not MS's fault if you don't want to take them up on that.

^ FTFY

In what way is win10 a downgrade?

You don't really want me to get started do you?

Just one real quick example how gamers are VERY negatively affected by Windows 10 (and 8.x) would be the fact that all DirectX 9 games under Windows 8 and 10 are limited to 4GB graphics RAM (that is system RAM and VRAM as per DXDiag). Got a new shiny 6GB or 8GB VRAM graphics card? Sorry. It's useless in older games thanks to Microsoft's "great" support of DirectX 9 on newer OSs.

It is also a downgrade in usability over Win 7 with the retarded UI and so many little things that just suck about it and could use MAJOR improvements. I could write a book easily beating the bible in pages on how shitty Windows 10 is when compared to Windows 7.
I still have to use it, of course, since DirectX gaming is not available on any other platform that will get continually updated but that does not mean I have to like it when it sucks donkey ass compared to Win 7.

11. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 27, 2016, 15:21 CJ_Parker

Tachikoma wrote on Jun 27, 2016, 14:59:
No need to meddle, though more quality exclusives (especially for X1) wouldn`t hurt.

The mere invention of the Shitbox and the "quality exclusives" that Microsoft has secured to fuck over PC gamers have hurt the PC platform plenty.

As long as Microsoft keep pursuing the vision to push Shitbox on everyone instead of giving people a free choice of their preferred platform there will be "war".

What Microsoft should do is either...

1) respect Windows PC gaming as an equal and make sure PC games are always released simultaneously worldwide in the best possible version on each platform or...
2) shut down the Shitbox division or...
3) shut down the Windows PC division or...
4) open-source DirectX so it can freely be used on Macs, Linux, everywhere

Otherwise there will always be the irresolvable conflict of interests between Shitbox und DirectX within Microsoft and within the entire world of gaming.

8. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 27, 2016, 14:43 CJ_Parker

Shineyguy wrote on Jun 27, 2016, 14:11:
Yosemite Sam wrote on Jun 27, 2016, 13:14:
So all your games are going to work on Windows 7 and 8 right Microsoft? The bullshit is strong with this one, and anyone who believes this BS is in for a surprise when they release the next best thing and and force you to upgrade in order to play the next best game.

For a short time Windows 10 is still a free downgrade. Not MS's fault if you don't want to take them up on that.

^ FTFY

4. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 27, 2016, 12:28 CJ_Parker

Shitbox will hopefully die for good in the "next great platform war".

And, yeah, that article is so full of retarded statements but it's an article dealing with Microsoft so that is to be more than expected. It is a certainty these days that there is tons of dumbfuckery when MS is even just remotely involved.

News Comments > Overwatch Adding 21:9 Ultra Widescreen Support
4. Re: Overwatch Adding 21:9 Ultra Widescreen Support Jun 26, 2016, 18:03 CJ_Parker

Awesome news for all the aliens (and frogs/reptiles) with eyes on the sides of their heads!  

News Comments > MachineGames Releases New QUAKE Campaign
11. Re: MachineGames Releases New QUAKE Campaign Jun 25, 2016, 19:14 CJ_Parker

Sempai wrote on Jun 25, 2016, 17:34:
Go rub your two IQ points together and see if you can start a fire.

Hmmm... *rub* *rub* rub* *rub*... nopers. Do you have a lighter?

News Comments > MachineGames Releases New QUAKE Campaign
8. Re: MachineGames Releases New QUAKE Campaign Jun 25, 2016, 17:12 CJ_Parker

Sempai wrote on Jun 25, 2016, 15:46:
CJ_Parker wrote on Jun 25, 2016, 12:08:
Wesp5 wrote on Jun 25, 2016, 09:45:
Sempai wrote on Jun 25, 2016, 02:23:
...are we living in a golden age of video games right now or what?

You mean because the good old stuff gets rebooted and the new stuff are hero shooter clones of each other ;)? Sorry, but I would really like to see a good single player FPS that is not one of both...

werdz of wizdom right there, bro!

A golden age this is not... or only if you ate a ton of chickpeas and your turd takes on a gold-ish color.

There is a lot missing for a golden age. A golden age would mean more games in the shooter/hybrid genre like the original Deus Ex/Human Rev, BioShock, Dishonored, the Thief games, ME2/3, HL2 and so on. Shooters that have intricate mechanics and/or a story to tell instead of being multiplayer grinders or braindead simpleton run'n'gun garbage like Doom.

It is really sad when you think about the fact that Deus Ex is 15+ years old now and how little has changed. For a golden age we need more new groundbreaking games that set new standards in AI, world interactivity and story-telling. But not those lame rehashes.

But you are getting a new Deus Ex, you're also getting a new Dishonored, and a new Mass Effect, good luck with HL3 and improved AI though.

Dude, that's why I wrote "more games like". Not just (most likely dumbed down) sequels. I would like to see more original franchises similar to those mentioned PLUS progress in certain departments like AI, interactivity, choices & consequences, decent story-telling, multiple paths/endings etc.
Most games these days are as shallow as a puddle compared to e.g. the original Deus Ex and that's just sad. After 15+ years, games should be much richer and deeper than those old games.

And what are you talking about? The new Doom was a ton of fun, along with other "rehashes" like Wolfenstein, Tomb Raider, and Xcom.

I can not say anything about Xcom but disagree regarding Doom and Tomb Raider. I found the new Doom (based on the beta and demo) to be lacking in just about every respect (no reloading, only checkpoint saves, lame weapons... not visceral and "mean" enough, relatively poor visuals, retarded glory kill QTEs etc.) and don't even get me started on Tomb Raider.

The TR reboots may not be bad casual console games at all where you press the forward key to move from cutscene to cutscene but those games are perfect examples for the massive dumbing down of a franchise if I've ever seen one.

The old TRs actually had, you know, tombs and challenging puzzles, climbing passages, jump sequences, boss fights etc.
The new ones? You press 'W' on the PC version and the game plays itself.

I will concede that the new Wolfensteins were well done, however. They got it right for the most part. Credit where credit is due.

Also, who said we're just talking about shooters?
The abundance of games on the market today is healthier and more diverse than it's ever been. Hell, most of you have a list of games you can't even get through!

That is true but unfortunately many of those games turn out to be one disappointment after another when we finally get around to playing them...

The real question is, do you have the capacity to be happy about anything, or do you just enjoy bitching and crying? Because your tears of entitlement don't hold much water.

Yes, I do have that capacity, but not when someone is calling the current steady flow of casual garbage (SWBF, Battleborn, Doom, Overwatch, R6 Siege, The Division etc.) a "golden age" .
For a golden age we would need a lot more Witchers, TES VI and a proper Star Wars X-Wing space sim instead of all that other crap .

3426 Comments. 172 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo