Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Duffy

Real Name Duffy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname CJ_Parker
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2006, 23:49
Total Comments 4361 (Master)
User ID 24408

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
8. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Mar 27, 2018, 04:41 CJ_Parker

Pigeon wrote on Mar 26, 2018, 08:37:
Win 10 gaming edition... boots directly to the windows store and xbox gaming app, windows update constantly downloads their freemium games, and automatically streams to the mandatory Microsoft xboxspasmbookvinesnap.

Exactly... and even with this horrific outlook, I think you are still understating what they would really do with it.
A gaming edition of Windows 10 would be something to be VERY afraid of as a PC gamer.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Far Cry 5 Reviews
55. Re: Far Cry 5 Reviews Mar 27, 2018, 04:25 CJ_Parker

Also played for a couple hours now and it's pretty good. Some spoiler-free notes.

- Tech: The good is that they have included many options and the game performs very well. I have it all maxed out at 1440p with a 1080Ti and I'm getting 100fps average according to the included benchmark. The bad: No volume slider for the music (WTF), you can only turn it on or off.
- Graphics are very good but not stunning. There is a noticeable pop-in as you move through the world but it's not too irritating thanks to the dense vegetation.
- No notable serious bugs so far, no crashes. The AI has some issues as usual in Ubi open world games. It is sometimes dumb as a brick and sometimes almost a little too good (all-knowing, impeccable aim etc.).
- Awesome intro with a nice creepy, nutty theme... very fitting for the whole lunatic cult thing.
- Great characters, voice-acting etc. so far
- The world is very well done and packed with content. They nailed the rural Montana atmosphere really well. Exploration is tons of fun.
- Hard is hard. I had to replay one of the opening scenes quite a few times and got my ass kicked in a few other fights, too.
- Progression seems OK. The perks are interesting and especially on hard difficulty you are motivated to keep playing to unlock some (hopefully) helpful skills.
- The in-game store has lots and lots of cosmetic stuff but is pretty unintrusive. The game luckily doesn't scream "buy-buy-buy" in your face all the time.
- There is a good selection of weapons (bows, guns, heavy weapons) and lots of (craftable) gadgets. You can only carry one assault weapon (bow, submachine gun), one pistol and one melee weapon early on. You have to unlock additional weapon slots (two more max) via perks and I'm saving up for that now so I can carry a bow (which is awesome!) and an assault weapon at the same time.
- Most side activities (like hunting and rescuing civies from cougar attacks etc.) seem pretty fun so far though I'm sure some of it will get repetitive after a while.
- One notable exception to the above: There is a horrible driving mini-game where you have to drive a circuit with checkpoints against the clock. The driving mechanics/physics SUCK so I'm not gonna bother with that shit again.
- Checkpoint saves suck and are too far apart sometimes IMHO (you also can not really tell when the game has last saved so...)
- Everything seems a bit large including the subtitle font... fuck consoles!
- Fuck rattlesnakes!

38. Re: Far Cry 5 Reviews Mar 26, 2018, 18:17 CJ_Parker

Osc8r wrote on Mar 26, 2018, 17:29:
Looks like an improved version of Wildlands... which was quite enjoyable in even with all it's flaws.

Yeah, Santa Blanca -> renamed to Cult, copy & paste, done!

Should be interesting to see when people compare maps whether they did the same as with FC Primal vs FC4.

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Features Trailer
4. Re: Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Features Trailer Mar 26, 2018, 16:03 CJ_Parker

Fion wrote on Mar 26, 2018, 13:42:
Looks interesting. I enjoyed PoE, but I never finished it. Just seemed to slow to a crawl once I reached the big city and I lost interest, and I never picked up any of the DLC.

That doesn't mean I won't ever finish it. With these long RPGs I tend to get part way through them, put them down for months or more, then pick them back up and finish them.

I've had Witcher 3 installed for years for that very reason, lol. Though I have also restarted the game after being a good way through the main campaign because I wanted to try this popular mod called 'Witcher 3 Enhanced Edition' which requires a new save. I liked what the mod does for the game so much I went with the restart. Completely worth it and I heartily recommend it to anyone considering a replay, or diving in to W3 for the first time.

I'd definitely recommend revisiting PoE. I'm also wary of big cities in RPGs where you usually end up going from house to house and it's kind of a slog before anything interesting happens again but they did a pretty good job with the city and the quests in PoE as it's not overwhelming at all. It did not take tooooo long to "finish" the city and was actually quite fun.

On a whole I quite liked the structure of the game. There was a lot of free roam exploration on the world map, a city, a big dungeon (best done in chunks in between whenever you return to your stronghold), and two great expansions with the White Marches which provided a nice Icewind-ish atmosphere with a decent story.

I'm looking forward to Deadfire a lot but not touching it until all DLCs and the final patch has landed. I don't wanna spoil the experience with an incomplete, buggy game.

21. Re: Far Cry 5 Reviews Mar 26, 2018, 15:41 CJ_Parker

I got FC5 for free with my latest monitor purchase so instead of the usual waiting game (discount, gold edition, UbiShit bugs, yada, yada) I'm gonna check this fucker out tomorrow but will probably just demo it and then still wait for a few patches since I need to finish at least one other game anyway.

Also gotta love the "in progress" reviews here. Cowardly assholes. They are just afraid to give it a low score and are waiting for the "consensus" from other reviews instead. Looks like Ubi are high on the list of GameSpot's and PC Gamer's ad revenue.

News Comments > Open World Star Wars Game Plans?
18. Re: Open World Star Wars Game Plans? Mar 25, 2018, 12:07 CJ_Parker

fawker wrote on Mar 25, 2018, 10:42:
Rockstar is really no better if not worse for the MP MTX.

Xactly.

Actually BioWare would still be kind of a natural choice for an open world Star Wars game with RPG elements.

Like Mass Effect Andromeda with MUCH better writing. Say about MEA what you will but the world and the gameplay was pretty decent.

The problem was that just about every NPC looked, acted, behaved and talked like a mouthbreathing full-tard in addition to poor overall direction and writing as far as characters and story was concerned.

If they fixed that and would reach at least DAI story/quests/writing/NPC qualities again then an open world SW game by Bio could have potential.

News Comments > Open World Star Wars Game Plans?
3. Re: Open World Star Wars Game Plans? Mar 24, 2018, 15:31 CJ_Parker

Well, of course open world is perfect for MTX and lootbox milking so no surprise Disney/EA are going that direction.
The surprise is more that it is taking them so long. You'd think they would already have at least one game similar to UbiShit open world formula out there.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
1. Re: Morning Interviews Mar 23, 2018, 12:46 CJ_Parker

Under Laidlaw's direction we might've learned a more about Solas, the elven apostate who played a large role in Dragon Age Inquisition (which Kat enjoyed) and its Trespasser DLC. "Post-Dragon Age: Inquisition Trespasser DLC, there's obviously a route to go with the Solas revelations," Laidlaw says. "If you've played Trespasser, you will know what logically will follow." The idea of possibly following Solas into Dragon Age 4 is intriguing, as the Dragon Age games aren't direct sequels of each other.

Uh, thanks but no thanks. Solas isn't exactly the most interesting character and maybe he's had enough of his 15m of fame now?
I'd rather see them introduce and explore new characters in a new game.

That does not mean that I would not like some old characters to return but the story of a DA4 should not revolve around one of the companions from DAI IMHO.

DAI was a huge game and maybe some of us do not even care about certain members of the old cast? I played a mage as my main and I barely cared about Solas. My usual party consisted of Cassandra (defensive tank), Blackwall (offensive dps/tank) and Varric (ranged dps / rogue skills). Fuck Solas.

News Comments > Metro Exodus Ray Tracing Support Plans
4. Re: Metro Exodus Ray Tracing Support Plans Mar 21, 2018, 20:49 CJ_Parker

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 21, 2018, 19:59:
Not that I would not welcome this, but supporting something only 2 GPU's costing upwards 2500$ can support is kinda.. weird

By fall we'll have Volta/Ampere so you may only need a single $1299 card!

News Comments > NVIDIA GPP Concerns Linger
21. Re: NVIDIA GPP Concerns Linger Mar 21, 2018, 20:44 CJ_Parker

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 21, 2018, 18:39:
Well I have to see something here really affect me. I do know they've been fair to me in terms of performance improvements over the years. Some bag on them hard saying they are milking us pre-high price sitch. I don't know what they are seeing, compared to about any other microchip makers, esp cpu's, they are way above avg on leaps forward. They have some 10% gens but they also throw in 25%-50+% generational improvements, that is massive in this sector.

Agree. I judge them by their products and ever since 3Dfx went bust I have owned nothing but nVidia cards because I'm a satisfied customer.
It is OK in my book to try to get an edge on the competition. The competition does not sleep either. AMD has also tried to one up nVidia with stuff like Mantle or the Gaming Evolved program.
No problem. May the one with the better overall package win...

As for regular prices (i.e. ignoring the current crypto$ craze), sure, it would be nice to get cheaper cards but if you look at the numbers behind the scenes, e.g. how R&D expenditure has exploded for chip makers then it should come as no surprise to anyone that high end GPUs are an expensive hobby.

The GPP is still a bit of a curious move at this point though. Mining aside, nVidia has probably never been in a stronger position in the dGPU market.
Why attempt to drive the nail in the AMD coffin now and risk regulatory steps?
I might understand this if they would be losing market share left, right and center but they're not, all the while posting one record quarter after another... strange.

It must be something behind the scenes maybe where some board partners are currently focusing all of their resources and efforts on AMD mining card production for the big farms while nVidia may be struggling to allocate production capacities for their Pascal and also the future Volta/Ampere gaming lineup?
Huang has confirmed they have (Pascal-based cards) supply issues at the last conference call.

So maybe the GPP is a gentle reminder by nVidia to board partners that it has mostly been nVidia chips for gaming that have been driving the partners' sales before the mining craze and also a hint that nVidia are taking notes who is being disloyal now by shifting capacities to the competition for a quick mining buck.

That's just about the only logical explanation I can come up with.

News Comments > Sea of Thieves Fix Plans
2. Re: Sea of Thieves Fix Plans Mar 21, 2018, 20:09 CJ_Parker

We have seen some performance issues reported when playing Sea of Thieves on Xbox One X.

MUUUUUUAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA

14. Re: NVIDIA GPP Concerns Linger Mar 21, 2018, 13:11 CJ_Parker

MacLeod wrote on Mar 21, 2018, 12:47:
VaranDragon wrote on Mar 21, 2018, 12:22:
They didn't do 3rd party cards back in those days, which is another reason why the company was destined for eventual downfall.

Am I misremembering? I'm pretty sure that Creative and Diamond at least made Voodoo2 cards.

Diamond was the first to market (at least here in EU) with the original 3Dfx Voodoo as well. I know because I bought one as soon as it came out. Good old Diamond Monster 3D... literally a game-changer . The other company that had early availability was Orchid.
IIRC, it was mostly between these two early on... Creative entered the fray later with their "Graphics Blaster" lineup.

@Raz0r! Ah yes, but that was very late in the (3Dfx) game when they started making all sorts of dumb decisions that led to their untimely demise unfortunately (from Wikipedia)...

The acquisition of STB was one of the main contributors to 3dfx's downfall; the company did not sell any Voodoo 4 or 5 chips to third party manufacturers which were a significant source of revenue for the company. These third-party manufacturers turned into competitors and began sourcing graphics chips from NVIDIA.
This also further alienated 3dfx's remaining OEM customers, as they had a single source for 3dfx products and could not choose a CEM to provide cost flexibility. The OEMs saw 3dfx as a direct competitor in retail. With the purchase of STB 3dfx created a line of Velocity boards (an STB brand) that used crippled Voodoo3 chips, as a product to target the low-end market. The chip came with only a single functional TMU, making it similar to a Voodoo Banshee.

8. Re: NVIDIA GPP Concerns Linger Mar 21, 2018, 12:40 CJ_Parker

VaranDragon wrote on Mar 21, 2018, 12:22:
Also apart from the failed banshee, the voodoo chips were built and produced in house on their own cards by 3dfx themseleves. They didn't do 3rd party cards back in those days, which is another reason why the company was destined for eventual downfall.

What? So did I just dream about the existence of Diamond, Orchid, Creative etc. Voodoo cards?
3Dfx provided the partners with reference boards (just as AMD and nVidia -not always for every chip but in most cases- do today). The partners were free to deviate from the reference designs. 3Dfx was mostly a chip supplier just like AMD and nVidia today while the partners built the boards.

As for the news here, let's wait and see what's really behind it. I hope that nVidia is playing fair.
Board partners delisting AMD might also simply have to do with the fact that their cards suck ass for anything but mining. Well, and maybe the board partners are not amused by high returns as a result of fried 24/7 mining GPUs with defunct fans etc.

News Comments > Vivendi Selling Ubisoft Stake
6. Re: Vivendi Selling Ubisoft Stake Mar 20, 2018, 21:49 CJ_Parker

According to this source, they acquired the shares over a long period of time...

Vivendi purchased its Ubisoft shares for a total of 750 million Euros over the last several years, and this exit has netted it a huge profit. But Ubisoft is finally free from the Vivendi threat, so Guillemot is also happy.

... and more on Tencent...

Ubisoft is referring to Tencent as a “long-term” investor, and that is how it tends to handle these deals. As with other Chinese companies, Tencent prefers to acquire a minority share in a successful business so it can let the company continue to operate as it always has.

That does not mean Tencent will not lend some help to Ubisoft going forward.

“The new strategic partnership agreement we signed [with Tencent] will enable Ubisoft to accelerate its development in China in the coming years and fully leverage a market with great potential,” said Guillemot.

And Ubisoft is in a strong position to benefit from Tencent. China is the biggest gaming market in the world in terms of spending, and it is also impenetrable due to burdensome regulations on foreign media and Tencent’s near monopoly on software distribution. To even get into the country, the Chinese government forces developers to get a domestic publishing partner as a sponsor.

Well, now Tencent can act as Ubisoft’s sponsor, and that could enable the company to expose its popular online shooters like Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six: Siege and the upcoming Division 2 to a huge and important market that was difficult to capitalize on up to this point.

News Comments > New Assassin's Creed Rumor
14. Re: New Assassin's Creed Rumor Mar 20, 2018, 21:21 CJ_Parker

Exactly. It now seems that they were planning on an AC Origins trilogy all along. Egypt, Greece, Rome.

I guess we do know from certain Animus snippets that they have most likely toyed with the idea of an Asian themed AC in the past. Let us also not forget that they have actually done the Asian-themed AC Chronicles China spinoff .

They might have well used that series to test the waters with regard to more exotic settings (the AC Chronicles games have been set in China, Russia and India so far). Who knows what their conclusions are based on the reception of those games... only time will tell.

News Comments > Vivendi Selling Ubisoft Stake
3. Re: Vivendi Selling Ubisoft Stake Mar 20, 2018, 21:06 CJ_Parker

Bullshit. Tencent is only interested in the dividends and cross-marketing effects while Ubi gets easier access to the Chinese market this way which will in return drive up their profits and thus Tencent's profit share a.k.a dividends ( = the very essence of their "strategic partnership").

What a load of bollocks to assume that the monetization of individual Ubi titles would be affected by this move. This isn't a takeover. Tencent has not bought 51% of Ubi. Ubi is still in full control of everything that is happening with their lineup.

Feel free to read the corresponding press release. This is more about Ubi getting their foot into the Chinese market rather than Tencent getting a foothold in Ubi or wanting to control things (Tencent already is the no. 1 worldwide publisher so they would surely face regulation if they tried to acquire too much influence).

News Comments > Sea of Thieves Sets Sail
29. Re: Sea of Thieves Sets Sail Mar 20, 2018, 19:34 CJ_Parker

xXStellarDadXx wrote on Mar 20, 2018, 19:10:
Game servers being hammered...fuck i cant play it...well ...maybe tomarrow...

Poor single geezer hamster on crutches is getting hammered by the three people who actually use the Microshit store...

News Comments > New Assassin's Creed Rumor
11. Re: New Assassin's Creed Rumor Mar 20, 2018, 17:05 CJ_Parker

Ancient Greece sounds like a rather logical next step after Egypt. Then ancient Rome next with Cesar and Cleo.

As for Greece, it's making me wonder if they would stick to actual historical ancient Greece or mix it up with the mythology like Ulysses' ten year odyssey, the Sirens, the Cyclops, Circe and all that stuff.

I'd definitely rather have Greece than anything Asian. If they'd have to leave the European continent, I'd rather see them explore the Mayas, Aztecs or Incas.
Asia would be at the very bottom of my favs. It just would not fit very well with the whole theme of AC and I also think it would be awkward to get it right with the culture, the characters, the language etc.

News Comments > Sea of Thieves Sets Sail
14. Re: Sea of Thieves Sets Sail Mar 20, 2018, 13:33 CJ_Parker

Prez wrote on Mar 20, 2018, 10:18:
I don't mind using Uplay and Origin as well as Steam. It's the Windows Store that I have a problem with.

^ this

After the GFWL debacle MS can go and fuck themselves. They can also go and shove anything named 'Xbox' up their asses. I'm a PC gamer. I do not want Xbox shit on my PC.
First thing I did after the free upgrade, I have uninstalled the Windows store and also everything that is named Xbox from my system (game bar and all that retarded shit no one needs) and it will stay that way. Fuck Spycroshit!

Also lol @ this game. It's 2018. This game visually and technically looks like a MMO clone that should have come out 15 - 20 years ago when MMOs were still a thing. Fuck this garbage. Typical MS tho... totally inept to produce anything even remotely interesting.

News Comments > HTC VIVE Pro Preorders
33. Re: HTC VIVE Pro Preorders Mar 19, 2018, 18:04 CJ_Parker

Overpriced garbage is what this is.  

4361 Comments. 219 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo