Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
User Settings
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Daniel

Real Name Daniel   
Search for:
Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:
Nickname CJ_Parker
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2006, 23:49
Total Comments 3398 (Veteran)
User ID 24408
User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Citizen Squadron 42 Delayed
97. Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 Delayed Oct 11, 2016, 19:41 CJ_Parker
djinn wrote on Oct 11, 2016, 19:23:
Kxmode wrote on Oct 10, 2016, 21:57:
Mass Effect 1 kind of had procedural worlds that quickly angered players; especially the M35 Mako (what a nightmare of a vehicle!). BioWare learned from that mistake and made planet missions in ME2 and ME3 much more focused.
Am I wrong in this conclusion? If I am please let me know.

Hm. Remembering Mass Effect the opposite to the audience if what you say is true. I actually liked the Mako missions as they gave the impression of an expansive universe, even if it were all smoke and mirrors. It was enough to feel like it was bigger 'world' than it actually was. As opposed to the probing missions which felt like a total gimmick in the sequels.

I don't think he just meant the probing but also the story missions. Probing was boring as hell, yes, but it was still less boring than driving around in a shitty vehicle on barren planets with horrible, clunky controls.
So I'm going to have to side with Kxmode. I also found ME1 to be the worst of the series. The Mako did not really add anything to the gameplay in terms of a fun factor. It was terrible.

But SC is definitely a different beast. CIG used the Constellation Aquila for this demo which has a rover on board as a default but the missions are going to have to be fun for everyone including the vast majority of people who don't have a rover on their ship.
It's not like ME where everyone is Captain Shepard of the Normandy with a Mako (unless this here was Squadron 42 single player footage instead of PU but they advertised it as PU footage so let's assume it is).
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report
95. Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 Delayed Oct 11, 2016, 19:25 CJ_Parker
djinn wrote on Oct 11, 2016, 18:51:
Rabbit trail: If they get their game systems solid but eventually run out of money, this would be a very easy pitch to take to Disney and retrofit to do something in the Star Wars universe. Since everything they've done so far is already paid for I'm sure Disney would unload buckets of cash to make that happen, especially since the franchise is currently making it's own comeback.

Sorry but those are complete bullshit pipe dreams. Disney has sided with EA for Star Wars game development. If Star Citizen goes tits up, EA would have to pick up the pieces. That is very unlikely in the first place for many reasons. If Star Citizen fails it's because it is a clusterfuck of a project. Why would EA or Disney buy a clusterfuck? Not gonna happen.

Besides, many employees would jump ship and EA mostly has people familiar with Frostbite or maybe Unreal but CryEngine is kind of exotic. Star Citizen's underlying CryEngine is so heavily modified by now that it's all but a custom engine now.
Why would EA/Disney buy this shit when the people they put to work on the leftovers would need a minimum of 6 months of training before they could even begin to work productively on the project?

Or why would EA/Disney undertake the massive effort of consolidating what has been worked on in L.A., Austin, Manchester and Frankfurt? There are so many, many reasons why *especially* places like EA or Disney would never ever do this... we could sit here all day and fill several novels with reasons.
At the end of the day, EA -if they *really* wanted to- could easily shit out something like what CIG has achieved so far in a much shorter time than it would take them to build something new from the imagined ruins of SC.

You also need to get into the mindset of a corp like Disney. Disney is not interested in awesome Star Wars games. They are only interested in games as a marketing vehicle and an additional source of income.
They will always try to take the minimalistic approach.
Little effort --> Maximum revenue.
Look at SWBF and the crap EA puts out. EA and Disney are a perfect match.
Star Shitizen is the antithesis of minimalist. It is megalomaniac clusterfuckery at its best (or worst depending on your point of view).

Aside from all the practical reasons like CIG's engine, employees and studio structure, your so called "rabbit trail" would totally go against what EA and Disney stand for from a business point of view. This is simply completely unthinkable and won't happen.

P.S.: This doesn't mean that I deem it entirely unthinkable that someone would be picking up (some of) the pieces but it won't be EA or Disney for Star Wars. No fucking way.
92. Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 Delayed Oct 11, 2016, 17:20 CJ_Parker
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 11, 2016, 16:11:
I don't know how anyone can watch the latest presentation and question the direction of the game.

Maybe because people have previously watched presentations like the Star Marine reveal in 2014 and absolutely none of what was shown in that demo is in the game today even though Roberts said it would be out in early 2015? (yeah, I know, it's all Illfonic's fault, of course Rolleyes2 )

And you are crazy to claim that what was shown at CitCon last year is in the game now (hint: A huge chunk of CitCon last year was the S42 reveal and S42 won't be out this year and most likely not even anywhere early 2017 either... if 2017 at all). It isn't. Or at least not nearly at the quality (FIDELITEEEEHHHH!!!!11 ) and stability they have shown in all of their fabricated, fake, scripted demos.

Virtually everything they have shown off at shows and conventions these past four years is either a total no-show like Star Marine or has never arrived in the game at the quality (FIDELITEEEEHHHH!!!!11 ) they have presented and advertised. Not even close.

Everything has been released spit&glue half-assed (after many delays) just to sort of deliver on the promises and then it's been abandoned to rot for the next big thing to create MOAR HYPE and extract more money from gullible fools.

But, sure, keep lying for them. No problem. You make a good cultist. Chris is proud of you.
News Comments > Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary Edition World Tour Released
11. Re: Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary Edition World Tour Released Oct 11, 2016, 15:59 CJ_Parker
Ummm... OK, asking for a free upgrade might be sort of greedy but there's not even a fucking discount for owners of the Atomic or Megaton shit or whatevs it was called??? $20? Are they fucking serious?

Gearbox --> shitlist
News Comments > Gone Gold - Skyrim Special Edition
19. Re: Gone Gold - Skyrim Special Edition Oct 11, 2016, 03:25 CJ_Parker
jimnms wrote on Oct 11, 2016, 00:53:
I wasn't too crazy about Skyrim, even though Steam says I put almost 600 hours in it.

So how many hours do you have in games that you are "crazy about"? Thousands? Hundreds of thousands?
63. Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 Delayed Oct 10, 2016, 19:32 CJ_Parker
descender wrote on Oct 10, 2016, 19:25:
Do other publishers hold the copyright on sand and mountains? I've pretty certain that you both would have made your same post no matter what it looked like.

It obviously depends on the degree of the similarities and this shit in the CitCon demo was as straight a rip as it gets without violating any copyrights (although if whoever owns Dune would care and persecute this, I would say they have a decent chance to make into an actual courtroom).
The "Tuskens" aren't courtroom material because they are just barely different enough but it's 100% clear where the "inspiration" came from.
61. Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 Delayed Oct 10, 2016, 19:22 CJ_Parker
The Half Elf wrote on Oct 10, 2016, 19:15:
That last link is bullshit. pro. generaterated planet my fucking ass. Lets see, a sand planet with a big snake/worm on it (obvious shot at No Man's SKy)

NMS? It was a 100% Dune rip or maybe 98% Dune and 2% Sarlacc from Star Wars RotJ. Just like those sand people were a 100% rip off of Tatooine Tusken raiders.

Star Wars/Dune clone = CIG creativity department.
49. Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 Delayed Oct 10, 2016, 15:54 CJ_Parker
The Squadron 42 delay was more than expected given the state of the "game" (flight model, animations etc.). According to the CitizenCon presentation, the S42 campaign has been split up into 28 chapters comprising 60+ missions. We will have to see how many chapters they are going to deliver per episode. I would not bet on more than a single chapter in 2017... if that.

The much bigger surprise (to me at least) than the S42 delay was the fact that travel to multiple star systems has been delayed all the way to version 4.0.
Even the most optimistic people don't seriously expect 4.0 before early 2018 at the very earliest.
This means that Shitizens will be stuck in the single Stanton system for the entire calendar year of 2017 or easily 18+ months total from today. Wow.
This also means that they are even further behind and struggling even more massively with their infrastructure development ("net code", multiple instances and MMO backbone) than even pessimist boaters like myself suspected.

So, early 2018 and there will still be 99 star systems missing. Will the artists be able to finish more systems up to that point so they could theoretically release a bunch of systems in one go? Maybe... but I doubt it because the systems will have to go through extensive live testing. You can not have missions spawn inside a planet or an asteroid and all that crap that can hardly be tested in an isolated sandbox. The art asset creation per se is only a fraction of the whole shebang. It takes a lot more before you can put a star system online.

At this rate the full game with the promised 100 star systems at launch will definitely not be finished even close before the turn of the decade. Realistically, we're talking ~2022-ish at this point if things work out pretty well until then (which probably won't happen given the track record so far).
News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 6, 2016, 23:00 CJ_Parker
FWIW I also have a 1070 with Micron GDDR5 oc'ed to +400Mhz on the memory and stable as a rock...  
News Comments > Beyond Good and Evil Sequel Confirmed
13. Re: Beyond Good and Evil Sequel Confirmed Oct 6, 2016, 17:15 CJ_Parker
Acleacius wrote on Oct 6, 2016, 16:37:
MattyC wrote on Oct 6, 2016, 15:55:
Acleacius wrote on Oct 6, 2016, 13:49:
I'm guessing it will only be free on ubi's drm site? I wouldn't mind getting this for free on GOG.

How generous of you... BG&E was a greatly underappreciated game, it wasn't say Planescape Torment, but it was as critically undersold.

Who knows if the sequel will be anywhere near as good and DRM shouldn't be forced, but asking for it for free is not going to get more quality games published.
This article is about the sequel and getting the original game for free. It didn't mention which service it was going to be free on. All I did was make my preference known. How the hell do you get to a point, where this is my fault? Yousaidwhat Giggle

Actually reading the news post you are commenting on is completely overrated and sooooooo 2009.
News Comments > Wasteland 3 Crowdfunding Begins
18. Re: Wasteland 3 Crowdfunding Begins Oct 6, 2016, 10:27 CJ_Parker
Darks wrote on Oct 6, 2016, 10:21:
And yea, I agree taking PayPal out of the loop also took me out of funding this game. Another one of those loop holes they are trying to avoid by not having to pay Pay Pals percentage.

Credit card fees are usually higher than PayPal's measly fee so that can not really be the main reason. And I have read some other place (so take it with a grain of salt but the person seemed to be well informed) that they will enable PayPal as an option once the $2.75 min goal has been achieved.
News Comments > Torment: Tides of Numenera Trailer
2. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Trailer Oct 6, 2016, 10:19 CJ_Parker
Yeah. December 2014 according to the Kickstarter.

Ooops. That date seems to have passed ever so *slightly* eh?

OK, seriously... they have delayed it again to "early 2017". First they gave the bullshit excuse of localization and when they revealed the console versions it turned out that the true nature of the delay lies in the planned simultaneous release on PC and consoles.
Which is really nice for the PC gamers, of course, who have been waiting (or will have been waiting) for over two fucking years from the original release window by the time it might finally come out next year.
News Comments > Wasteland 3 Crowdfunding Begins
4. Re: Wasteland 3 Crowdfunding Begins Oct 5, 2016, 21:37 CJ_Parker
The counter started at $1.5 million because of the monies from the investors so they "only" made about $500K from actual backers.  
News Comments > Op Ed
21. Re: Op Ed Oct 4, 2016, 15:55 CJ_Parker
I disagree with the article completely. Most gamers want to be treated like crap. When I see e.g. the Battlefield threads here and experienced gamers, who should know better, tripping over themselves to preorder, in spite of the franchise's abysmal track record, well, let them... people like that are fair game for fraudulent publishers or developers.

Some people are incapable of resisting hype and that is their problem alone. PC Gamer's suggestion is like prohibition where all liquor stores should be strictly regulated just because some people can not control themselves. Bullshit.

Let the developers and publishers have their early access milkage fun and let the dummies fall for it. No problem. They never learn anyway regardless of how strictly you regulate it.
Look at all the idiots here still preordering every AAA game including the season pass. People want to buy shit. Let them buy shit. They are only responsible for their own mental deficiencies.
News Comments > Battlefield 1 Single-Player Details & Trailer
6. Re: Battlefield 1 Single-Player Details & Trailer Sep 27, 2016, 16:58 CJ_Parker
Tumbler wrote on Sep 27, 2016, 16:55:
I think I'll wait on this one until this time next year. Seems like all these games, Call of Duty, Battlefront, Battlefield, are all way over priced at launch and even at a fair price, $30 to $40, they still feel incomplete.

It took you until 2016 to figure that out?
News Comments > Star Citizen Examined
76. Re: Star Citizen Examined Sep 25, 2016, 06:36 CJ_Parker
Kxmode wrote on Sep 24, 2016, 22:57:
I have to believe Chris not to recently woke up one day and it hit him "I'm never going to ship this game as I pitched", but he keeps soldiering on because his professional reputation in on the line.

You're giving him way too much credit. He is a pathological liar who only cared about that money counter keeping a strong northern heading when he made all those lofty promises. He was high on his own bullshit or still is, although the drug naturally doesn't kick in as much anymore as the early days. $2 million/month is probably boring to him at this point.

As far as "professional reputation", well, ahem... Wing Commander movie anyone? You are correct though that he will try to make Squadron 42 as decent as possible because of all the Hollywood cast he hired. They are going to polish the fuck out of it and it will probably be very well received.
Then when he cancels the full scale PU later, it will only look like half a failure instead of a total wash and the Hollywood peeps won't even care because their name will always be associated with the successful Squadron 42 and not the failed Star Citizen.
71. Re: Star Citizen Examined Sep 24, 2016, 09:16 CJ_Parker
Slashman wrote on Sep 24, 2016, 08:52:
My one question right now is this:

How are they going to continue to fund this if Chris is determined that everything be done exactly the way he wants it or it gets a do-over?

325 employees right? Even if you average their salary at a VERY modest 4k a month, that's still 1.3 mil a month not counting office space, building upkeep, utilities, travel expenses, MARKETING and several other things I'm likely forgetting.

If this does need to take another 3-4 years to complete, how do they keep the lights on and pay people? They have 2 games to deleiver and each one depends on the other to move forward.

Well, they are making $2.x million per month with occasional dips but also occasional bumps (this month will be very profitable for them with CitizenCon when all the mouthbreathers will open their wallets over some fancy flashy trailers and next month sales will skyrocket, too, with the annual anniversary sale).

In addition to the crowdfunding, they are also getting huge tax cuts and AFAIK direct funding from the EU because of some European cultural sponsorship programs and all that blahblah. Remember they have offices in the UK and Germany.

And finally they are certainly getting return on investment from whatever they are doing with the parked money. I mean CR is retarded but he is probably not retarded enough to put the money in the bank at a 0% interest rate. I'm sure he has put it somewhere (offshore?) where he gets at least a 4% return on investment or something along those lines... maybe a lot more depending on the risk he is willing to take(?)
The hard part is getting rich but once you are rich, unless you fuck up majorly, it is fairly easy to stay rich and let the money multiply itself.

They are also nearing completion on the first episode of Squadron 42 and if that takes off as CR is hoping then that will bring in a lot of fresh meat and cash. If it doesn't he can always cut things loose and close shop... he has openly talked about a minimum viable product already so an exit strategy must have crossed his mind more than once.

Personally, I am expecting this. They are not going to be able to deliver the full MMO with the promised level of fidelity so this will most likely end up with the delivery of Squadron 42 and then some massively stripped down (from the promised complete vision) version of the current multiplayer "PU" with a low 24/32 players per instance limit and a few star systems all crammed into a single instance/level because they can never make it all work as a true MMO with all systems implemented.
60. Re: Star Citizen Examined Sep 23, 2016, 18:45 CJ_Parker
Extremely funny and predictable knee-jerk reactions at the SC forums.

The fanboys and the cultists are suspecting a grand anti-SC conspiracy because of the upcoming CitizenCon (SC's four year anniversary is on 10/10 and CitizenCon starts on 10/8). They are calling this a fabricated piece in spite of the numerous CR and developer quotes.
It also seems to be devil's work according to some because the article is citing EVIL anonymous sources straight from hell (a usual practice in journalism to protect the source of a claim, of course).
Again, never mind the fact that CR had no problem to respond to those anonymous claims and did not really refute them outright either.
Well, and the real secret author of the piece is Derek Smart, of course.

Cultism at its very best...
55. Re: Star Citizen Examined Sep 23, 2016, 17:54 CJ_Parker
ItBurn wrote on Sep 23, 2016, 15:04:
Darks wrote on Sep 23, 2016, 14:51:
ItBurn wrote on Sep 23, 2016, 13:54:
Darks wrote on Sep 23, 2016, 11:52:
This game was supposed to be delivered on around Nov of 2014 2 years after it was successfully funded on Nov 2012.

That's absolutely false. I don't remember there being a release date when I backed it, but it was pretty clear that this would be a looong time in the making.

You better go and check the Kick starter page again son. It clearly states the game was to be deliver around Nov 2014.

All I can see is that the pledges would be delivered in 2014. If you thought that this would mean the final game, I think the only person you should be mad at here is yourself. Everyone knew it would take a much longer time to make the game.

Yep. Everyone knew.... except Roberts:

You have stated that you expect to have an Alpha up and going in about 12 months, with a beta roughly 10 months after that and then launch. For a game of this size and scope, do you think you can really be done in the next two years?

Really it is all about constant iteration from launch. The whole idea is to be constantly updating. It isn’t like the old days where you had to have everything and the kitchen sink in at launch because you weren’t going to come back to it for awhile. We’re already one year in - another two years puts us at 3 total which is ideal. Any more and things would begin to get stale.

That interview is from October 2012 shortly after the campaign started.

Another fun fact: I, and many others, remember exactly how Roberts told people near the end of the campaign that pledging more would get the game done faster because he could hire more people. To clarify (simple logic): He effectively promised to get the game done before November 2014 if people only pushed the money counter high enough (it was around $5 to $6 million when he said stuff like this). One of his many blatant lies obviously.

Also, to say they never gave any dates is ludicrous. Just google "star citizen roadmap". They have shown many pretty slides at various events in the last four years. All filled with more blatant lies.

You know, this is EXACTLY why no one is taking you cultists seriously. You live in total denial of the historic truths and facts. You have been drugged by your sect's guru and all you can do anymore is "ommm yes master we shall repeat your lies... ommmmm.... yes master your wish is my command ommm....".
News Comments > Halo 5 Forge for Windows 10
31. Re: Halo 5 Forge for Windows 10 Sep 9, 2016, 17:12 CJ_Parker
|RaptoR| wrote on Sep 9, 2016, 15:27:
CJ Parker is literally a terrorist.

OK, guys. After all these years and years... mission accomplished! I guess that means I can finally go into retirement now!
3398 Comments. 170 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News logo