Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Fort Collins, CO 03/24

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Daniel

Real Name Daniel   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname CJ_Parker
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2006, 23:49
Total Comments 3612 (Veteran)
User ID 24408

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Overload Early Access
4. Re: Overload Early Access Mar 14, 2017, 01:33 CJ_Parker

Alamar wrote on Mar 13, 2017, 21:40:
I can't keep track of all these Descent games... Wonder why so many in such a small timeframe... It's not like this tech didn't exist years ago...

Yeah, I no longer get the appeal either. The early Descents were impressive because 3D was sort of a novelty back then and "true 3D" with 6DOF even more so. I mean "3D" shooters back then like Dark Forces or even the Duke didn't even have full free mouse aim so Descent was innovative on awe-inspiring levels.

But nowadays? Yawn. Racing through samey looking disorienting claustrophobic tunnels is about as much fun as slamming yourself in the nuts repeatedly which ain't very fun unless you're a Brit or something.

The demo got old real fast and I can only see myself getting this for sub $5 for a gaming night with copious amounts of booze. Get plastered, play some, indulge in nostalgia, play some more and suck at it increasingly cuz booze, pass out, uninstall.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Halo Wars 2 Demo
12. Re: Halo Wars 2 Demo Mar 13, 2017, 18:36 CJ_Parker

F10? Must be some kind of console garbage thing where checkpoint saves are the norm.
No PC developer with more than one brain cell would consciously bind the menu to 'F10' because it's much too close to 'F9' which has been the standard for quick load for decades now.
In fact, any dev who puts the menu on 'F10' in a PC game should be genitally tortured until they never forget what a fucking retarded idea that was.

News Comments > Halo Wars 2 Demo
5. Re: Halo Wars 2 Demo Mar 13, 2017, 13:43 CJ_Parker

What Microsoft Store?  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
27. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 13, 2017, 08:13 CJ_Parker

Jerykk wrote on Mar 12, 2017, 20:55:
CJ_Parker wrote on Mar 12, 2017, 16:21:
Haha. No sign of Torment. Pretty dead out the gate that one and well deserved after the half-assed job they did on that "game" or visual PDF more like... and don't gimme PST was like that because it wasn't. PST was 500% more actual game than TToN.
Still glad I got a last minute refund for my pledge a few weeks back. The feature cuts and the fact that they put nicer stuff into the retail CE than the "exclusive" backer CE broke the camel's back for me.

#schadenfreude

So... you haven't actually played the game?

I played the beta and felt it royally sucked compared to PST. Where PST has a wonderful and interesting beginning with a humorous floating skull at your side, ToN throws you into a drab, super-serious unknown, poorly explained setting and immediately throws walls of text at you to 'splain shit. Wall after wall after wall... and after a short while you begin to wonder where the fuck the actual game is.
PST had lotsa reading but at least it didn't forget to occasionally throw some actual gameplay at you. ToN is a visual PDF or a text adventure but it barely qualifies as an actual game.
I got my refund and props to inXile for granting me one this late after the KS. I might actually rebuy the game on sale one day when I'm really in the mood for a boring visual PDF but that may be a while.. maybe when I'm really old and rusty for twitch games Wink .

News Comments > Steam Top 10
6. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 12, 2017, 16:21 CJ_Parker

Haha. No sign of Torment. Pretty dead out the gate that one and well deserved after the half-assed job they did on that "game" or visual PDF more like... and don't gimme PST was like that because it wasn't. PST was 500% more actual game than TToN.
Still glad I got a last minute refund for my pledge a few weeks back. The feature cuts and the fact that they put nicer stuff into the retail CE than the "exclusive" backer CE broke the camel's back for me.

#schadenfreude

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
13. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 11, 2017, 19:54 CJ_Parker

mag wrote on Mar 10, 2017, 23:30:
SirKnight wrote on Mar 10, 2017, 22:36:
Oh AMD....LOL

I have NEVER needed a patch to allow my Intel CPU to work like it's supposed to.

As usual, more excuses and smoke-and-mirrors from team red.

What? You really don't remember the early days of Intel hyper threading, when CPU reviewers had to disable HT to get the 'proper' performance in games?

It's the same thing. New CPU, new way of hyperthreading, new bugs.

Not the same thing at all and has absolutely nothing to do with "early days" or a bug. To this very day, you will get better performance in many games by disabling HT. Same thing for AMD and SMT on Ryzen by the way. Many of the Ryzen reviews from last week also had tests with SMT disabled which yielded a small boost in performance in most games.

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda Launch Trailer
35. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Launch Trailer Mar 11, 2017, 13:03 CJ_Parker

Nucas wrote on Mar 11, 2017, 04:50:
i think this looks great but i guess we're supposed to be ironically detached or something now because its an established franchise?

You're supposed to be non-ironically detached because this is fucking garbage to the power of infinity.

- It screams casual console cover shooter out of every pore. If you watch the combat video, it once again has those conveniently placed rocks, containers etc. just like the previous games so you know exactly when an area has been designed for a combat encounter just from its design.
- What to think of a "RPG" where you have to enter the menu and reroll your class every five minutes depending on the combat situation? That's some really immersive shit, right?
- The facial anims have been rightfully criticized because they look like copy&paste from Mass Effect 1 a decade ago.
- The graphics are generally "teh suck". It's the typical Frostshite problem where everything looks super-artificial like it was modeled from plastic and Lego. This is a horrible engine that does not actually put you "there" but it makes it all feel like a tech demo or a glossy showcase. It's maximum garbage is what it is.

And then you have fucking retarded marketing like this which is very reminiscent of DAO marketing with the heavy metal gore trailer that was clearly aimed at the sub-12 year old demographic.
This game has wait for a sale written all over it if I've ever seen a game with that writing on it.

Anyone with half a brain should at the very least wait until EA discloses their "exciting" DLC plans. All we know is that there won't be a season pass but there will definitely be DLC and knowing EA/BioWhore it'll be stuff you wish woulda been in the game at the start or makes ya wish ya woulda waited for a GOTY complete version or summin'.

So, yeah, it is OK to be totally non-ironically not buying this fucking shit, you know? What a concept!!! Not preordering the latest hype!! OMG!!! Is it even possible???

News Comments > Game Reviews
7. Re: Game Reviews Mar 10, 2017, 15:36 CJ_Parker

Disagree. It is against the Geneva human rights conventions to force a reviewer to endure the torturous crappiness of a Ubishit title to the full extent. Give the poor guy a break. Being assigned to write the review at all was already hard enough for that poor sod. No need to wish more than necessary suffering upon him.  

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers and GTX 1080 Ti Reviews
40. Re: New GeForce Drivers and GTX 1080 Ti Reviews Mar 10, 2017, 04:58 CJ_Parker

LittleMe wrote on Mar 10, 2017, 04:22:
It's awesome and fast but isn't this Ti several months late when compared to last Ti releases? Isn't nVidia releasing Volta this fall? That was the rumor when the 1080/70's came out was that late '17 we'd see the next gen with a smaller nanometer process.

There was a rumor a while back that nVidia would possibly expedite Volta to counter AMD's DirectX 12 advantage but I don't think there was much to it. Volta was originally always going to be a 2018 release and that is when I would still expect it now.
AMD Vega is way late and no one is really talking much about DX12 anymore. That hypetrain has left the station for now. nVidia has also done their homework and improved their DX12 performance in the latest driver releases.

Volta was originally still going to be a 16nm FinFET part by the way unless the rumors are true that there will be an intermediate 12nm high powered stepping at TSMC but so far they have only confirmed mobile parts on that node AFAIK so we'll have to wait and see about that.

TSMC 10nm for high powered parts like graphics cards most likely won't be ready for mass production next year so Volta has to be either 16nm or 12nm if TSMC is willing and able to offer a high powered process of the latter, too.

What might happen according to some rumors is that Volta might indeed ship as a 12nm part this year in the professional segment (automotive, HPC etc.) just like nVidia did it with Pascal when they launched the P100 with HBM2 a few months before the consumer GP104/GP102 last year.
So, yes, Volta might happen this year but probably not in the consumer space. Consumer cards to follow Q1/Q2 2018.

32. Re: New GeForce Drivers and GTX 1080 Ti Reviews Mar 9, 2017, 17:26 CJ_Parker

descender wrote on Mar 9, 2017, 16:18:
The windows 10 scheduler isn't "bugged"... it works exactly the way it is supposed to. AMD released a CPU that doesn't report properly to the OS. It only currently works right in W7 because the W7 scheduler is "dumber" and tries to do less balancing.

Essentially the same thing happened when Hyperthreading was first released by Intel. Windows needs to be updated to recognize new hardware, this should surprise exactly no one. I'm totally willing to blame AMD for fucking this up and not finding this bug until way too late in the development process. They should have known that this was an issue at the very least months ago.

/sign

This is 100% AMD's fault for not working with Microsoft on this issue sooner. With all the testing and iterations that goes into releasing a CPU they must have known about this problem months ago indeed. They should have consulted with MS engineers how to solve the issue. Identify what is required on MS part, what is required on AMD's part and then release the CPU after figuring this shit out.

Ryzen was delayed multiple times from previously purported dates anyway so there was absolutely no reason to half-ass a premature launch like they did.

Or if you absolutely can not delay any further: Open communication. Include detailed info on the issue in the reviewer's guides. Tell the world that you are working with MS on the issue or that you are working on the issue relentlessly with consulting from MS.

But this is bullshit. Releasing the CPU and leaving the world in a stinky, murky cloud of FUD is grade A quality AMD cowshit.

19. Re: New GeForce Drivers and GTX 1080 Ti Reviews Mar 9, 2017, 14:01 CJ_Parker

Darks wrote on Mar 9, 2017, 12:20:
sauron wrote on Mar 9, 2017, 10:48:
Wow, if I had bought a 1080, I would be pretty annoyed by this. The Ti seems to replace that card since it is significantly faster and a similar price? Or am I getting my facts wrong?

You know this is a really stupid comment right? This has always been the case with NVidias video cards. the Ti always fallows their main steam cards at some point. This is not some big secret thats just happend over night.

I own a 1080 FTW, and Im not peeved at all. I knew the Ti would be coming out.

Yup. The only peeps who would have a reason to be "annoyed" are -as always- the Titan X buyers. However, as the "as always" indicates even the Titan owners don't really have a reason to be peeved because there is enough precedence for them to have known what they were doing when buying the Titan. They knew exactly that the Ti would follow soon after and that it would most likely (nearly) match or even slightly surpass their precious Titan for a few hundred bucks less.

What we are seeing here is business as usual and nothing at all to be annoyed at.

The only thing that is slightly surprising is that nVidia is selling the Ti that cheap at $699. There is no competition. They could just as easily have maintained the $699 for the 1080 FE and sold the Ti-FE for $899 or $999 until Vega comes out.
The pricing is actually kinda suspicious as if nVidia and AMD are price fixing again behind the curtains. Or nVidia simply has pretty good spies inside AMD and this was a preemptive move to put on the pressure. Who knows...

3. Re: New GeForce Drivers and GTX 1080 Ti Reviews Mar 9, 2017, 11:05 CJ_Parker

sauron wrote on Mar 9, 2017, 10:48:
Wow, if I had bought a 1080, I would be pretty annoyed by this. The Ti seems to replace that card since it is significantly faster and a similar price? Or am I getting my facts wrong?

Yep. Quite wrong.

- People who bought the 1080 have enjoyed that top level of performance for a good 10 months now. Enjoyment is something that money can't buy so that is a priceless advantage.
- The 1080 custom cards (who the hell buys FE unless you intend to replace the heatsink for a custom water cooling set?) were still considerably cheaper (here in the EU at least) than what the 1080Ti will sell at.
- People are not married to a graphics card. One can easily throw the 1080 on eBay now and get a 1080Ti if one is so inclined. Most enthusiasts who buy in the price range of 1080/Titan won't mind a little loss.

I own a 1080 and will probably get a Ti but only after Vega is out. Right now would be a really bad time to buy one of these puppies. Even if Vega does not beat the 1080(Ti), it might still force prices to come down. I also want to wait for Palit/Gainward customs as those were by far the best 1070/1080 cards.

Come on, AMD (and Palit/Gainward). Hurry the fuck up!

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda PC Settings
10. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda PC Settings Mar 9, 2017, 10:31 CJ_Parker

Very well put, Mr. PHJF. That is exactly the sad state of affairs in display land. The really sad part is that you can't even buy quality by spending more.

Some of the most expensive gaming displays like the Asus PG279Q (1440p@165Hz, G-Sync) are the biggest piles of shit ever. They all come with the same abysmal craptastic AU Electronics IPS panels that are infamous for BLB, dead pixels galore and dust particle enclosures. Quality control is apparently nonexistent at that place.
And then to add insult to injury, gigs like Asus and Acer have the nerve to sell this shit in a box for $800+ while also ignoring all quality concerns.

L to the O to the L. Big time.

News Comments > Steep Free Weekend
4. Re: Steep Free Weekend Mar 9, 2017, 01:27 CJ_Parker

Nnnnnnaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...  

News Comments > Quake Champions Beta Signups
26. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 8, 2017, 18:05 CJ_Parker

descender wrote on Mar 8, 2017, 17:01:
You do realize that you are supposed to forward your throwaway address to your real one... you know... so you aren't a fucking idiot? Then you turn the forward off after you get the key and.... I feel like I've gone too far.

Uuuhhh... so I forward the fucking spam that I do not want in the first place (no not even for a few months until the beta starts) to myself? Wow. What a GREAT idea.
Besides, if they have proper tracking software, you do realize that they can track forwarding, right?

Seriously guys... is today some kinda NO BRAINZ day or something? Or is this the Trump phenomenon where everyone abroad goes a li'l more dumbtard every day? With this trend y'all will be sub-amoeba in four years. Keep it up! It is at least kinda entertaining...

24. Re: Quake Champions Beta Signups Mar 8, 2017, 13:49 CJ_Parker

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 8, 2017, 13:22:
CJ_Parker wrote on Mar 8, 2017, 12:52:
LOL you can only hit 'submit' if you also check the box that you agree to be spammed by those fuckers. How about no, Bethesda? How about making it optional whether I want to be spammed to hell and back?

Did not sign up, of course. I don't want any shitty "updates on products, news and special offers". I'm not overly interested in this type of game to begin with. MOBA = yawn to the power of infinity.
Could have gave them a general throw away email address but would rather complain. typical

Yup. Awesome idea. Except they will probably send beta notifications and keys to that throwaway address which ain't much of a throwaway address if I have to monitor it for that kind of shit, right?

Could have thought shit through before posting but chose not to. Typical.

20. Re: Quake Champions Beta Signups Mar 8, 2017, 12:52 CJ_Parker

LOL you can only hit 'submit' if you also check the box that you agree to be spammed by those fuckers. How about no, Bethesda? How about making it optional whether I want to be spammed to hell and back?

Did not sign up, of course. I don't want any shitty "updates on products, news and special offers". I'm not overly interested in this type of game to begin with. MOBA = yawn to the power of infinity.

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of War Gameplay Video
11. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of War Gameplay Video Mar 8, 2017, 12:42 CJ_Parker

Looks good enough for a 9.99 GOTY sale one fine day but lol @ the retarded AI at around the 4:10 mark. That was mighty nice of them to get in line for the killing instead of putting a premature end to our hero with a quick & easy backstab.
I also agree with the heavily scripted assertion. This video probably spoiled everything that is cool in SoW in one swift move (like the dragon riding) while the rest of the game is prolly boring and repetitive as fuck.

News Comments > Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands Released
27. Re: Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands Released Mar 7, 2017, 19:31 CJ_Parker

HoSpanky wrote on Mar 7, 2017, 17:58:
Has anyone been running hardware monitors while playing this? The questionable performance may be CPU limited, which would explain a 1080 and a 980 running about the same.

wat??

Check out the Evening Tech Bits link for this article at TechPowerUp. Matches my observations with a GTX 1080 exactly. Roundabout 50fps at 1440p all maxed out to the brim.
It also shows that the game is GPU limited, of course. GTX 980 and 1080 aren't even in the same ballpark. Whoever is claiming something silly as that probably doesn't know what the fuck they are doing or how to even access the graphics options or something like that. The game scales very nicely the fatter the graphics card.

News Comments > Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands Released
10. Re: Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands Released Mar 7, 2017, 13:57 CJ_Parker

NewMaxx wrote on Mar 7, 2017, 12:58:
Performance is still pretty awful by my standards. If I can't get a consistent 60 FPS at 1080p, something is wrong. That's not even on max.

I was getting ~50fps in the beta on a GTX 1080@1440p all maxed out to the brim. It was smooth because it was a very steady 50fps. There were no huge fluctuations like in most games where you have 100+ and then 40 the next moment. It was a steady 50 all the time.
I did get the occasional stutter but only when the game spawned reinforcements so that seems to be more of an engine/game thing and nothing that could be fixed via a driver or better hardware.

I'm not sure what some people here are expecting. The game looks great and has amazing view distances so 50fps@1440p all maxed out on a GTX 1080 is what I would actually consider great performance and well balanced optimization. Watch Dawgz 2 secretly wishes it was as optimized and balanced as Wildlands.

Still, new nVidia drivers should be out any minute now. The NDA on the 1080Ti drops this Thursday with immediate availability thereafter so they will surely release a driver update within the next 48 hours.

3612 Comments. 181 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo