Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Daniel

Real Name Daniel   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname CJ_Parker
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2006, 23:49
Total Comments 3363 (Veteran)
User ID 24408

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided DLC This Month
6. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided DLC This Month Sep 2, 2016, 12:04 CJ_Parker

And of course this DLC was not finished at launch a couple of weeks ago and could not be included with the main game... Rolleyes

Really sad part is people will lap this up like divine urine instead of questioning this shitty practice of bringing back popular characters from a previous game as DLC only.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > ARK Expansion
6. Re: ARK Expansion Sep 1, 2016, 22:25 CJ_Parker

Never gave them a dime cuz I'm smart like that  

News Comments > Mess Affect: Mass Effect Remasters Hopes Dashed
3. removed Sep 1, 2016, 10:43 CJ_Parker

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Sep 1, 2016, 12:42.

News Comments > Battlefield 1 Open Beta
60. Re: Battlefield 1 Open Beta Aug 31, 2016, 18:24 CJ_Parker

DangerDog wrote on Aug 31, 2016, 17:57:
Everywhere I've read says 42% is actually 100% resolution scaling

AAaahh good to know thanks... I guess I forgot to take a course in EA/DICE maths but now that you mention it... of course! 100% = 42%! Doooh. What was I even thinking? It's plain as day now!

57. Re: Battlefield 1 Open Beta Aug 31, 2016, 17:18 CJ_Parker

Shitty beta.

Not only is EA/Origin offline but WTF is this shit:

- You can not map your thumb mouse button to reload? Seriously EA/DICE? In 2016 you fuckers are not supporting more than three mouse buttons, even though every other game in your same shitty franchise does, so I have to assume you were simply too fucking retarded to copy&paste your own shitty console garbage crap code?

- WTF is this resolution scaling bullshit under the video options??? Mine was set to 42% default (GTX 1070). I have a 1440p display. So the game renders a less than 720p version internally to cheat its way to higher performance giving me the impression that all is well when in reality it is cheating on me like a bored rich mid western housewife??

TL;DR Fuck EA. As always and again and again and forever after. Amen.

2. Re: Battlefield 1 Open Beta Aug 31, 2016, 10:15 CJ_Parker

They haven't announced an end date yet as far as I can tell.

Nice free demo so I'm downloading this but the full game = /puke /pass /next

News Comments > New Intel CPUs Revealed
14. Re: New Intel CPUs Revealed Aug 30, 2016, 20:25 CJ_Parker

Saboth wrote on Aug 30, 2016, 19:51:
... but growing up, if you waited about 6 years between CPU upgrades, you were looking at an increase of probably 100-150%.

Yes, if you grew up as a millennial but if you were old enough to care about CPU performance in the 1990s then 100% to 150% does not even begin to cover it.

I remember buying a top of the line computer for thousands of $$$ in 1996 that was powered by a Pentium 166MHz.
Six years later in 2002, you could buy CPUs in the Athlon XP 2000+ (January) to 2800+ (October) range.

That was easily a 1000%+ (10 times) increase right there. Due to architectural changes in addition to MMX/SSE etc. probably even considerably more than the performance rating of 2800 vs. 166 would suggest (which is already about a factor of 1600%+ or more than 16 times as fast on paper).

News Comments > New Intel CPUs Revealed
12. Re: New Intel CPUs Revealed Aug 30, 2016, 18:14 CJ_Parker

Simon Says wrote on Aug 30, 2016, 12:40:
Intel has been sitting like a fat Jabba the Hut on its laurels. Its a joke.

This is complete bullshit.

Like all foundries, Intel has run into real physical limitations. Look at Intel, GloFo, TSMC, Samsung... they are all struggling with roughly the same issues like leakage currents, heat dissipation, yields and cost efficiency etc. as they move from one node to another.

Aside from physical limitations, there is also the economic angle. Look at TSMC: Their R&D expenditures have 'sploded from NT$34bn in 2011 to NT$66bn because making chips is getting (even more) increasingly complex.
Intel's R&D expenditure has risen by a more modest ~50% from $8.3bn in 2011 to $12.1bn in 2015. Yep. They are totally slacking off Rolleyes .

Could they potentially speed up development? Yes. They probably could... by taking some shortcuts, by taking some huge enormous gigantic risks and by burning through billions in cash senselessly like in all out economic and ecologic hara-kari fashion. But why? It would be totally retarded and also completely unnecessary in a shrinking PC market environment.

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers
21. Re: New GeForce Drivers Aug 30, 2016, 17:33 CJ_Parker

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Aug 30, 2016, 17:26:
Just a heads up to everyone with 900-series cards, according to the driver release notes, this driver enables "Fast Sync" on your cards now. I'm pretty excited about this addition, as I do not have a g-sync monitor. No tearing and no v-sync with a minimal input lag hit. Some games like the new Unreal Tournament will benefit greatly from this addition, as the tearing is awful in that game, and there is no way any competitive player would ever turn v-sync on.

FastSync is only truly beneficial in high fps scenarios. Good luck getting 2x or 3x as much fps (120 to 180fps on a 60Hz screen) as your refresh rate with a GTX 9xx card in the new UT.

From here...

The major downside of Fast Sync is that (as a senior Nvidia engineer explains here) it is only truly beneficial in very high FPS situations, typically when your framerate is at least 2-3x your display's refresh rate (e.g. 120-180 FPS and above on a 60Hz monitor). At lower framerates, because of the way Fast Sync essentially samples/drops frames, you may notice similar sorts of latency issues as traditional VSync On, as well as stuttering. So in practical terms you should only consider enabling Fast Sync in older games, or newer games where the settings have been turned right down; basically only in games where you can guarantee very high framerates.

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers
17. Re: New GeForce Drivers Aug 30, 2016, 17:24 CJ_Parker

Sempai wrote on Aug 30, 2016, 12:59:
HoSpanky wrote on Aug 30, 2016, 12:50:
The graphics update isn't terribly noticeable. Turning on max view distance DESTROYS your framerate, and this is on a 1080. Now, I AM running SSAA 4x, so I'm rendering every frame at well over 4K. *Might* have something to do with it. But it looks WAY better in the close-field areas that way, and I'm not terribly worried about seeing the outline of mountains two zones over.

I doubt the new drivers help much at all, but I'll do some testing.

Question? Why run ssaax4 at 4k resolution? Other than typical anti-aliasing smearing effect and a dip in image quality, why run it at all at 4k? It's a significant performance killer.

I'm not trying to be snarky. Is there something i'm missing here?
One of the benefits of running 4k for me(for the most part)is the ability to finally get rid of anti-aliasing altogether for a nice crisp image without blurred colors etc.

You always want to run at least 2x AA even if you had 128K res. Why? Because it creates a much smoother image. Even tiny jaggies at high resolutions cause a slightly flickering image. This is especially true in games with lots of "edges", of course, like games with a lot of grass and leaves etc.
It is completely an urban myth that you can drop AA as long as the res is high enough. That's total BS.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 30, 2016, 11:26 CJ_Parker

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 30, 2016, 10:45:
It's really a must have reference when troubleshooting pc gaming issues.

I'd go even further than that and say it's a must have and must check reference before starting any multiplatform game (= console port). They usually have instructions how to extort typical consolitis issues such as poor FoV, unwanted mouse smoothing, input lag, performance issues, controls issues, unskippable intro hacks, you name it.

Nowadays, whenever I download a (console port) game from Steam/Origin/uPlay I will always stop by PCGamingWiki while waiting for the download to finish or generally prior to playing.
Depending on the game and the "quality" of the port, it can sometimes take quite a while (up to an hour) to read up on and apply all fixes but it has always turned out to be time well spent for a much improved experience.

Quick word of advice: Always make sure to launch the game at least once before applying any fixes because many games will create the config files that need to be edited on first startup.
So, download, read PCGamingWiki, when download is finished launch the game once and exit from main menu, apply PCGW fixes, play.

News Comments > CD Projekt Worth $1B
4. Re: CD Projekt Worth $1B Aug 29, 2016, 20:24 CJ_Parker

NetHead wrote on Aug 29, 2016, 20:01:
Typical, inevitable, sarcastic comment about how piracy kills the industry, particularly in regard to PC, and how a high profile game let alone distributor without DRM will fail miserably etc..

Compared to Skyrim it did in fact "fail" pretty miserably. Who knows how many more copies it would have sold with just a little copy protection? Why did the arguably better game not sell more copies than the worse game in the same genre from five years ago?

Just because they made fucktons of money does not necessarily mean by default that it is a smart move to serve the game to the filthy thieves on a golden platter.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 29, 2016, 17:52 CJ_Parker

Ozmodan wrote on Aug 29, 2016, 17:26:
Absolutely no use for a curved monitor. Bought one to try it out and ended up returning it.

Might work for TV's where you sit some distance from the TV, but for a monitor just flat out stupid.

I agree. I went to a brick&mortar store a few months ago to check out all the curved screens on display to see for myself what all the hubbub is about and the answer is it's fookin' retarded. It looks like crap and actually interferes negatively with the user experience especially in everyday desktop usage.
Seriously, unless you're some kind of animal or alien with frog eyes, you're not going to be able to convince me with a straight face that a curved screen is actually worth having.

I could *maybe* see some very limited use in a home cockpit environment where you are sitting pretty close to the screen and use it 99.9% of the time for pure racing/flying but in a regular home PC environment with a typical mix of internet, gaming, pr0n and other media? Fuck no.

It's an even lamer fad than 3D and VR. I sincerely hope it goes away real soon.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 29, 2016, 17:39 CJ_Parker

Noice. So the kiddies can finally cook their fucking popcorn in the microwave oven without fucking up their PSN shit.  

News Comments > Ubisoft F2P Game Shutdowns
11. removed Aug 28, 2016, 20:30 CJ_Parker

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Aug 29, 2016, 07:30.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
17. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 28, 2016, 17:00 CJ_Parker

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Aug 28, 2016, 11:17:
I bought a PS3 copy of Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen a few months back, finally got around to actually playing it... the game is actually really good! Minor Consolitis of course.

Your PS3 copy of DD:DA has "minor consolitis"? Real shocker right there, bro!

I mean we all know that most console games have absolutely no consolitis at all, right?

News Comments > Ubisoft F2P Game Shutdowns
8. Re: Ubisoft F2P Game Shutdowns Aug 28, 2016, 16:45 CJ_Parker

Great use of development funds right there, Ubi. Congratz. Now please crank out more garbage F2P games instead of using any funds to make a decent Rainbow Six or Ghost Recon game with a single player campaign. Or maybe even a new Might&Magic? Nah. Please don't. That would make sense and would probably even yield a profit. Boring, right? Why do any of that if you can just have fun and sink a few more ships eh?  

News Comments > Halo 5: Forge PC Specs
26. Re: Halo 5: Forge PC Specs Aug 28, 2016, 09:37 CJ_Parker

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Aug 28, 2016, 04:36:
7) Paying for PC franchises like Tomb Raider to be timed exclusives

To be fair (which is really hard whenever Microshit is involved, of course, but let's try...), Tomb Raider has always been a multiplatform game but, yeah, splurging money with the sole intention to withhold the game from a subset of their customers was still just as shabby and despicable as every other timed exclusive they did in the history of the Shitbox.

10) Forcing Ensemble Studios to make a XB1 exclusive RTS game then shuttering it when it underperformed

Dude? Ensemble was shut down in 2009. There wasn't any XB1 to be seen anywhere back then.
The only console game they did was Halo Wars which got a 82 average score on MC which isn't that bad. The reason for the closure of Ensemble and Aces given on Wikipedia is... "In 2009, Microsoft Studios disbanded both Ensemble Studios and Aces Studio due to the effects of the late-2000s financial crisis and the restructuring of their game development studios.".

When will Microsoft learn that fucking over PC gamers isn't a good business strategy?

As long as Phil Spencer is there: Never. Phil is all about fucking PC gamers in the big A.

18. Re: Halo 5: Forge PC Specs Aug 27, 2016, 20:01 CJ_Parker

WaltC wrote on Aug 27, 2016, 19:31:
Timmeh wrote on Aug 27, 2016, 15:37:
ok so Halo is an xbox title...

xbox is entirely based on AMD hardware.

recommended specs for pc feature intel and NVidia...

Something smells in Denmark.

You beat me to the same remarks...;) Microsoft is just simply dumb as a box of rocks when it comes to gaming--for reasons I will never, ever understand.

One HUGE reason is very simple and it even has a name: Phil Spencer.

They don't--have to remember Microsoft paid $2B for Minecraft--a game that when they bought it was already "as old as the hills and 2x as dusty"...;) Think about that...for the same money Microsoft could have opened a new game studio and published fifty AAA titles @ an average investment of $50M *each*...! What a colossal waste of money.

Indeed. The saddest part is those fuckers shut down Ensemble and Aces but then cough up $2bn for some third rate casual garbage. We could happily be building empires in AoE VII or fly around all over the world in an awesome true next gen sim with FS12 or whatever version we'd be at by now.

All of that for a minuscule fraction of that $2bn and I'm betting they'd still make a profit from these "niche" PC-exclusive games IF they would actually give a shit and support/market them properly.

The flight sim and add-on community is still alive and kicking. There are literally dozens of companies who are able to survive just fine by selling add-ons for a decade old sim that supposedly "does not sell".

9. Re: Halo 5: Forge PC Specs Aug 27, 2016, 16:49 CJ_Parker

Hahaha Microsoft is so fucking retarded they can't even get something as simple as system reqs written down correctly. I mean WTF is a...

GPU: GeForce 970 Ti

Hmm Microshit? Parallel universe much you n00bs?

Oh yeah and lest I forget: Fuck Halo. Either bring the whole series to PC or fuck off, MS$.

3363 Comments. 169 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo