Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Daniel

Real Name Daniel   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname CJ_Parker
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2006, 23:49
Total Comments 3332 (Veteran)
User ID 24408

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > PCIe 4.0 to Deliver More Speed and Power
32. Re: PCIe 4.0 to Deliver More Speed and Power Aug 22, 2016, 20:13 CJ_Parker

It's confirmed somewhere in there that PCIe 4.0 is not going to be in Kaby Lake (Q2/2017 for highend desktop CPUs) so the earliest gen we'll see it on Intel boards will probably be Cannonlake.
There is also not much "strangling" going on. The bandwidth of PCIe 3.0 is still totes sufficient for the vast majority of home users, especially for AMD peasants with their low end graphics cards .
Seriously tho, you'd have to go crazy with multi GPU, several high end NVMe/m.2 SSDs and Gigabit LAN etc. to come even close to exhausting PCIe 3.0 bandwidth.
It won't be a relevant (tangible performance benefits) upgrade for 95%+ of the regular gaming populace out there.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: PCIe 4.0 to Deliver More Speed and Power Aug 22, 2016, 18:55 CJ_Parker

Well, look at a typical 8-pin power cable from PSU to GPU. It ain't exactly a marvel of engineering and typically does not catch fire under load (as long as the PSU and the cable is OK Wink ). I'm sure they will be able to integrate this into the mobo PCB just fine. A li'l more plastic + mantling here and there will not break the bank.  

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Season Pass Details
3. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Season Pass Details Aug 22, 2016, 18:20 CJ_Parker

Pro: They are at least honest up front (just a few hours but still better than most publishers) that you are getting fuck all for your $30

Contra: Those meager bits of "content" for $30 are an all out scam if you think about similarly priced expansion passes like TW3

News Comments > Star Citizen Gamescom Presentation
96. Re: Star Citizen Gamescom Presentation Aug 22, 2016, 16:17 CJ_Parker

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 22, 2016, 08:51:
CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 22, 2016, 00:56:
ItBurn wrote on Aug 22, 2016, 00:13:
I think that you guys are too blinded by your emotions or previous investments to realize how amazing the tech in that demo was. There's never been anything done at a level close to this. If you want a full simulation of a space game, this is the real deal. They took no shortcuts. Don't reply to my comment about how you think this is a scam or all that endlessly repetitive noise. Just appreciate the tech.

What "tech" exactly are you referring to? The planetary atmospheric entry stuff? There have been videos on YT for years like this one here and many more.
You can also seamlessly land on planets across the 400bn star systems in Elite Dangerous until you have planets coming out your ass. It's nothing special.

Everything else has also been done in other games and much better than here. So what "tech" are you talking about exactly?

Then show us how you walk around on your spaceship in ED while it lands. Or how you fly a object that found in a crate on some base into your hangar, then carry it around and drop it on another world, all seamless without loading bars. Or how you explore a wreck in ED, walk around it, discover floating bodies and story elements.... The only game, and really the ONLY game that even came close to this was Kerbal Space Program. In fact Star Citizen is what KSP could have been had the developers not squandered it all.

If you don't see how this is more advanced than usual engine tech then you haven't played a lot of them space games, or tried to mod them for that matter. KSP especially is bordering on so many engine limits that you'd go insane developing for that.

And yeah, seamless atmospheric transitions are nothing new, doing it without ugly z-fighting (KSP) and weird block loading (NMS) or walking around on your ship while they happen... online? THAT is.

ItBurn is right, from a purely technical standpoint this is top notch, until Star Citizen NOBODY did anything like this. In no other game can you walk around your space-ship while it lands on a planets, while a 2nd player flies it. And jump out of it whenever you feel like it.

In fact I don't think you realize why that speeder flying into that hangar was such a big thing to show. The technology behind that doesn't even exist in available engines right now. KSP can kinda do something like this by docking (aka internally merging the scene space) but that is a crude hack compared to how it worked in the demo...

Anyhow, as I said.. I am in this for what, 30$ ? and what I see as a engine junkie is good. What I don't like is this horrible movement and shooting feel. Everything related to that feels floaty and inaccurate

Let me just say this: You need to look outside of space games and think just a little bit outside of the box, i.e. look at the bigger picture. The only difference between a space game and other games is that the environment variable that determines gravity is set to a value of "0" (zero). That's it. Space games aren't anything super-special to begin with.

As for walking around a ship while it lands or stuff like that, well, you can pretty much do that in any Battlefield games. One guy flies (or not if he is an asshole and parachuted out ) and other people do whatever while in the same "ship". It's not a big deal. Let's stop pretending like it is just because it is happening in a space game now.

You can even do the same with add-ons in an ancient game like Microsoft FSX. There have been add-ons for years that allow you to walk around the plane while it flies and if you use VATSIM you've been able to do this in multiplayer, too, of course.

I don't know if you easy-to-impress folks have only played Solitaire, Candy Crush and Minesweeper in the past few years but it may be time to get into some modern gaming and check out more games. It will give you some perspective that -graphical fidelity aside (yes, SC is nice looking in demos... the real thing not so much as it has horrible graphical bugs still) - what is shown in these demos is not that special when there is only four/five people on a local Gigabit LAN for a demo.

I'll be the first one to admit I'm impressed when they demo what they promised the game would really all be about, i.e. a capital ship space battle with dozens of fighters duking it out while the universe simulation is still running in the background and e.g. SAR missions get generated on the fly when players eject from their fighters... and people board the cap ship and fight in 1st person on the ship while the battle outside rages on... the crew on the cap ship struggles to fight off the boarding party and puts out fires, repairs damage etc. ... and all of this with players on regular Internet connections from 30ms to 200ms latency.
That's when I will tip my hat in Christ Roberts' general direction and tell him 'well done, Sir'.

But at almost $120 million and after four years of development he can shove a tech demo of this kind right up his ass. It is merely a marketing tool to generate more hype and monies. It has absolutely nothing to do with the reality of the game right now.
Again: We have a 24 player max limit, a single instance, a single star system, near zero persistence and 99% of all gameplay systems missing, i.e. there is no interstellar travel, no trading, no cargo hauling, no smuggling, no bounty-hunting, no mining, no salvaging, no SAR, no passenger transportation, no capital ship gameplay, no science/research, no exploration, no refueling, no electronic warfare, no information running, no repairing, nothing at all... and especially not with any level of the promised sophistication and complexity (like the promised fully simulated in-game economy with literally millions of AI agents for example).

I'll be impressed when ALL of that comes together, when we get close to getting our promised 100 star systems *at launch*, when the number of players per instance is raised to *at least* 64 players, when we actually have more than one instance and when all of this starts to work outside of a local LAN on my home PC with players from around the globe (or locally the EU) sharing the simulated universe with all gameplay systems and the promised level of detail and complexity.

Until then: Yawn@yet another retarded flashy tech demo. As I said before... a simple exercise: Go back to 2012 to 2014 and simply compare the older flashy tech demos (reveals and live demos at PAX, CitizenCon, Gamescom, whatever)) vs. what we have in the game right now. The vapor is very strong with this game. So far, they have a well established track record of underdelivering big time in spite of a $120 million budget and four years of time. They do not even have the basic groundwork done yet as the game is lacking the most simple MMO functionality a.k.a instancing.

23. Re: PCIe 4.0 to Deliver More Speed and Power Aug 22, 2016, 15:37 CJ_Parker

I can't wait for PCIe 4.0 and corresponding graphics cards. With m.2 SSDs finally becoming more widespread and affordable, the dream of a nearly cable-free PC is getting closer. It looks like all you will need as of Cannonlake and later will be a 24-pin ATX plug and maybe a couple fan cables for the CPU and the case fans and that's it.  

83. Re: Star Citizen Gamescom Presentation Aug 22, 2016, 00:56 CJ_Parker

ItBurn wrote on Aug 22, 2016, 00:13:
I think that you guys are too blinded by your emotions or previous investments to realize how amazing the tech in that demo was. There's never been anything done at a level close to this. If you want a full simulation of a space game, this is the real deal. They took no shortcuts. Don't reply to my comment about how you think this is a scam or all that endlessly repetitive noise. Just appreciate the tech.

What "tech" exactly are you referring to? The planetary atmospheric entry stuff? There have been videos on YT for years like this one here and many more.
You can also seamlessly land on planets across the 400bn star systems in Elite Dangerous until you have planets coming out your ass. It's nothing special.

Everything else has also been done in other games and much better than here. So what "tech" are you talking about exactly?

75. Re: Star Citizen Gamescom Presentation Aug 21, 2016, 20:52 CJ_Parker

jdreyer wrote on Aug 21, 2016, 19:04:
Peeeling wrote on Aug 21, 2016, 15:25:
ItBurn wrote on Aug 21, 2016, 10:48:
This demo looked amazing. They're finally almost done with all the base features and can finally start content building. This technology is insane, absolutely insane. It might not look like it to a normal person though. Cannot wait to see what's next.

Oh good lord you are SO wrong. Like, 180 degrees incorrect. What they have GOT is some content. And you just saw it. All of it. What they do not have in any meaningful sense are the systems to support the kind of game they're selling to people.

I agree that there are systems that they still need to design, as they mentioned the star system nav map and the AI populating the cities need to be improved/added. However, they seem much further along on the game systems than they do the content. They have one out of one hundred system nearly complete. That's 1%. And we've seen a grand total one one mission, out of potentially thousands.

I'd be interested in hearing why you think it's the opposite case.

Everything they have shown is still happening in a single instance with a 24 player max limit and the demo was obviously played by only a handful of people in a local Gigabit LAN.

So how are they having most of the systems finished? Do you know how MMOs work? Doesn't seem like it to me.
The actual hard part of making a MMO is creating the underlying instancing system. A player character must be able to seamlessly/smoothly move from server to server and instance to instance, all while the game does manage to keep connected to and updating the database with every single stat change.

CIG has been massively struggling with the 24 player max limit in their single instance system. Go ahead. Download the game the next free fly weekend and check for yourself. Disconnects and crashes are rampant.
Add multi-instancing and more than 24 players on top of their current wonky shit tech and Houston we have a clusterfuck of a problem.

They also only have very barebone persistence so far. The game is able to keep track of your credit balance and that's about it.
We are so so so far away from any true persistence or the basics of a MMO framework it's not even funny.

Content creation is the easy part. You have artists and designers creating assets with the engine editors. Big deal. Not.
The actual hard part is building the server and instancing infrastructure and they have fuck all to show in that regard.
And according to Roberts there isn't anything being added until at least the end of the year either (knowing Roberts 3.0 won't be out by the end of the year but more like mid 2017 at the earliest).
Until then they are just adding more content (remember? the easy part) but zero instancing, cross system travel or significant increases in players per instance.

You know, I have actually been convinced for quite a while now that it is only a matter of time until Roberts & co are going to admit that the full scope can not be done due to technical limitations and that they will instead deliver more of a regular multiplayer game with a single instance per star system... think Freelancer with multiplayer but not a grand scale MMO.

Until that admission they will for as long as possible keep cycling the bait (alternating between PU and S42) and show off their fancy little tech demos like this one here to lure people into giving them more monies.

45. Re: Star Citizen Gamescom Presentation Aug 21, 2016, 02:23 CJ_Parker

OK now that I have had time to watch the entire 01:35:24 presentation, I have even more seriously got to wonder about some of the reactions.

First, as I said before... it is very noticeable that they are tiptoeing around the issue of a true persistent and massively multiplayer environment. Seriously. Chris has effectively confirmed that there will be no other star system before 3.0 (while 3.0 is tentatively scheduled for the end of this year).
It will all be in the current Stanton system and some of what they had originally planned for Nyx will now actually be moved into Stanton to be able to deliver it sooner.

This in spite of his Gamescom 2015 claim that the "plan" is to release the "full PU" (his words) by the end of 2016.
You know... "full PU", which according to the $6 million stretch goal is 100 star systems "at launch". We are literally at LESS THAN 1% of that since Stanton is not even fucking finished and there isn't a SINGLE fucking gameplay system fully implemented!

So much for the credibility of a Mr. Roberts and a quick...

Reality check: They still have no instancing system/MMO basic mechanics. They still have no travel mechanics where you can travel with a ship and/or character from system to system. They have nothing at all in that regard. They also have zero gameplay systems finalized and/or working within a true MMO context.

All of this in spite of the fact that Tony Zurovec (Director of the Persistent Universe) promised us a "whole slew of other systems soon" in December 2015 or said that they would "by spring/summer [2016] just keep iteratively increasing, increasing, increasing that number of players and NPCs that you are going to put into a single instance".

Reality check: We're stuck with a single star system and a single instance with a 24 player max limit since early 2016. There has been absolutely no increase (and especially no "increasing, increasing, increasing" as per TonyZ's words) to anything in spring or summer whatsoever. No additional players/systems... nothing. at. all.

Feel free to keep cheering about the pretty graffix and the pretty ship JPEGs though. That's gonna be helping a lot. And please make sure to drop another grand on this game. I mean how can anyone not see how this is heading into the totoally right direction and making exactly the progress they have promised since launch or in the last 12 months?

News Comments > DCS: Bf 109 K-4 Kurfürst Takes Off
4. Re: hmm Aug 20, 2016, 21:36 CJ_Parker

Rigs wrote on Aug 20, 2016, 18:36:
Now if there was a WW2 Europe map with WW2 ground vehicles and buildings/targets along with maybe a campaign, that would be something I could really get excited for!

So much this...

Anyone remember F-22 Total Air War? That game had an awesome dynamic campaign with air and ground forces where the odds were against you and you had IIRC 48 or 72 hours real-time (fast-forwarding allowed ofc) to win the campaign against the AI.

If you wanted to win for sure (the campaign was dynamic and semi-random so sometimes you could win with a little less effort and sometimes you needed to push really hard), you had to basically go Just Cause and wreak as much havoc as possible while flying nonstop attack sorties against air and ground targets.

The game followed "realistic" procedures so first you had to take out the enemy command/recon/communications infrastructure, then the air defense/runways to try to establish air superiority, then the supply chain and lastly support the ground troops and destroy infrastructure (hoping this was at least close to the actual order... it's been a while ).

TAW actually had good replay value because it was fun to try out different strategies (aggressive/defensive, fly far behind enemy lines in stealth mode to take out a high command building or a less subtle approach by bombing the fuck out of the closest airfields or radar stations etc.).

DCS desperately needs a WW2 and a modern theater dynamic campaign with 100s of air/ground/sea AI agents similar to TAW at least for single player. If it could be done back in 1998 then what's the holdup?

31. Re: Star Citizen Gamescom Presentation Aug 20, 2016, 18:29 CJ_Parker

nin wrote on Aug 20, 2016, 16:24:
Linksil wrote on Aug 20, 2016, 12:48:
It is slightly disturbing to see them playing this is a controller on the PC though instead of mouse/keyboard and flightstick.

CR did that in the pitch video, years ago. He used a 360 pad.

Yep. Or this unforgettable nugget from a couple years ago.

Chris Roberts: "This is bullshit".

Probably the first and only time during SC's entire development that CR has opened his mouth and actually spoken the truth!

29. Re: Star Citizen Gamescom Presentation Aug 20, 2016, 18:11 CJ_Parker

vvenaya wrote on Aug 20, 2016, 14:23:
Odd. Where are the usual nay-sayers / Black knights ? finally realizing that SC may actually happen ?

What exactly is "happening" except for flashy trailers?

The current alpha takes place in a SINGLE INSTANCE with a 24 player limit and it is crashing/disconnecting like crazy. It does not even have an instancing system which is the very basics barebone and backbone of any MMO.

At the same time it is lacking every single complex gameplay system that will add load to the servers. There isn't a single gameplay system except for rudimentary combat/EVA and racing in the game yet. The missing list includes off the top of my head: Trading, smuggling, bounty-hunting, exploring, mining, salvaging, SAR, passenger transports, science/research, capital ship gameplay, refueling, reconnaissance, electronic warfare, information running and more.

Welp, what do you think will happen once they put these systems in the game with regard to the max number of players, especially when they open this up and also implement an instancing system for true multiplayer and persistence? What will likely happen to a game that is already struggling with stability and connections when there is only 24 players in a single instance? Hm? What?

Right. The game will only "happen" once all of these gameplay systems are playable within the game with full persistence across the promised 100 star systems (plus every other stretch goal fully implemented and working) and a reasonable max player limit per instance that actually warrants calling this a multiplayer game.

That is when we can begin talking about it "actually happening". Not a minute before that... and we have many, many, many fucktons of minutes to go before we get anywhere near there, my friend.

25. Re: Star Citizen Gamescom Presentation Aug 20, 2016, 17:52 CJ_Parker

Hahaha and all the gullible clowns are falling for the flashy CIG circus once again... "wooooow d00d that looks impressive!!!1111!!".

Gaaawdd... Rolleyes Rolleyes Rolleyes

Here's a simple exercise: Head to YouTube and go back to all the flashy trailers and omfgsosuperexciting reveals from 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015. Then participate in the next free fly weekend and compare. Then judge for yourself with regard to the discrepancy between the marketing crap and the real world delivery.

Incredible that people are still falling for the flashy shit after all these years... Rolleyes

News Comments > Game Reviews
7. Re: Game Reviews Aug 20, 2016, 05:56 CJ_Parker

theglaze wrote on Aug 19, 2016, 16:19:
This one, however, appears to have surpassed the detail and features found in all previous career modes.

Glad to hear that, thanks. I might check back when this goes on a deep discount then (probably when F1 2017 comes out).

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 19, 2016, 19:30 CJ_Parker

Spy code bug there, Microshit, huh? Aaaaaawwww. Crap.  

News Comments > Prey 2 Video
3. Re: Prey 2 Video Aug 19, 2016, 19:28 CJ_Parker

Not buying this simply for the lame abuse of the franchise. No Tommy, no Indians, no aliens, no gravity shifting = no Prey = no buy.  

News Comments > Deus Ex Mankind Divided Reviews
43. removed Aug 19, 2016, 16:29 CJ_Parker

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Aug 19, 2016, 17:37.

12. Re: Deus Ex Mankind Divided Reviews Aug 19, 2016, 11:40 CJ_Parker

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Aug 19, 2016, 11:22:
CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 19, 2016, 10:50:
MC average score of 83 for a hyped to death game like this with bought reviews basically means it is a piece of shit.

This has been hyped to death? Really? Really. I think you mean NMS was hyped to death and was a shitty game, especially after it's glowing "preview" reviews.

Well, the shit-games-hyped-to-death phenomenon is not exactly a unique thing or exclusive to NMS. It happens all the time. This is one of these cases where anyone with minimum experience in gaming can see a huge red flag from a couple lightyears away.

Very popular franchise + hype = usually a default MC score of 90+. A score below 90 is a fair warning, a score below 85 means the game is probably hot garbage or mediocre at best. Caveat emptor. You have been warned.

Of course no one wants to hear it. It's Deus Ex so it MUST be good. Hype. Hype. Hype. Hyperventilation. Fap, fap, fap.

Yeah, and then it's gonna be one HUGE coitus interruptus when the game turns out to be buggy, performing poorly and comes with a forgettable main story (a common complaint in the reviews and most game journalists wouldn't know a decent story if it bit them in the ass so it must be REALLY crappy here for even them to notice).

Oh well. Same shit, different AAA hypefest... it's always the same every single time. I'm giving it two weeks until most people here are going to be like "yeah it wasn't actually that great".

4. Re: Game Reviews Aug 19, 2016, 11:20 CJ_Parker

Uh-huh. Interesting.  

2. Re: Game Reviews Aug 19, 2016, 10:56 CJ_Parker

Do those tards still not have a career mode in their F1 game? I mean the whole fucking point of the good old F1 sims like Micrprose's Grand Prix series was to slip into the role of your fav F1 driver and take him through an entire season of races with all ups and downs and shit.
I was shocked, stunned and appalled when I found out that Codemasters' F1 games don't even have this most essential game mode.
That's right on par with offering a Doom game without guns. It's the very definition of What. The. Actual. Fucking. Fuck.

5. Re: Deus Ex Mankind Divided Reviews Aug 19, 2016, 10:50 CJ_Parker

MC average score of 83 for a hyped to death game like this with bought reviews basically means it is a piece of shit.  

3332 Comments. 167 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo