Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Daniel

Real Name Daniel   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname CJ_Parker
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2006, 23:49
Total Comments 3789 (Veteran)
User ID 24408

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Brian Fargo to Retire After Wasteland 3
16. Re: On Sale Mar 24, 2017, 09:25 CJ_Parker

Kxmode wrote on Mar 24, 2017, 04:20:
@CJ_Parker - In difference to your comment, I would like to point out they successfully shipped their two crowdfunded projects: Wasteland 2 and Torment: Tides of Numenera. The remaining two, The Bard's Tale IV and Wasteland 3, are still in development. I'm no fan of crowdfunding, but you should at least get your facts straight. Come on, Mr. Parker, I know you can do it!

Dude, I know they shipped Torment. About a decade or two late but it's here, yes .

However, they ran the WL3 campaign when neither Torment nor BT4 was out. Running a campaign when you still owe gamers one full game is bold but when you owe people two full games then it's a Ponzi scheme all the way because the system will probably collapse at some point.

They are probably playing it smart tho and not spending everything on development. There is no way that the piece of shit Torment cost $4 million to make so they probably make a pretty nice profit before even selling the first copy. Fargo even admitted as much...

Fargo said he will leave inXile a profitable independent game developer with "money in the bank".

I really can't stand inXile anymore. They have the nerve to deliver a Torment (!)two and a half years(!) late while shamelessly running campaigns for other games in the meantime.

Then they deliver Torment and due to feature cuts it's only half the game it was promised to be. It's also on consoles all of a sudden, short as fuck and doesn't even begin to compare to PS:T in terms of gameplay but only in terms of word count (yay?).

And then they shit all over their backers by coming up with a nicer retail CE than the so called "backer exclusive" CE. They also shit all over CE level backers ($100+ investment and people who'd been waiting for almost 3 years at the time) when they gave Steam early access buyers ($45 purchase and waiting 0 seconds for the game) preferential access to the beta.

One lameness after another by those clowns... it is really like they were begging people like me who pledged $130 or something for the CE to please never pledge EVER again.
Welp. Mission accomplished. That won't happen and I will make extra sure to buy their games on a deep discount only.

I like to make fun of Obshittian but comparing Torment and PoE, wow, it's a world of difference in spite of very similar KS budgets. PoE KS campaign ended only six months before ToN but it had two meaty expansions and was patched up properly (!)a full year(!) before inXile finally crapped out Torment v0.7 (no v1.0 due to missing features and localizations).
PoE may have had less words but otherwise it's about 10x the game that ToN is. That's why I'm thinking that ToN (and BT4 and WL3) budget went mostly into the bank and a certain retirement plan.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda Apex Missions Launch
10. Re: On Sale Mar 24, 2017, 02:06 CJ_Parker

DarkCntry wrote on Mar 24, 2017, 01:24:
Kxmode wrote on Mar 24, 2017, 01:07:
DarkCntry wrote on Mar 23, 2017, 22:49:
Kxmode wrote on Mar 23, 2017, 22:21:
I heard MEA multiplayer is the best part of the game. Strange.

I've heard people say that the Earth is flat...strange.

Well, yes. People have stated that compared to the single player issues, multiplayer is pretty solid. It appears a more skilled team put it together.

Here's the thing about the single player issues...my experience is that they are very minor, and mostly cosmetic and not at all problematic.

Here's the thing about people defending MEA single player... my experience is their standards have sunk so low they can walk upright on stilts under the carpet.

News Comments > Brian Fargo to Retire After Wasteland 3
7. Re: Brian Fargo to Retire After Wasteland 3 Mar 24, 2017, 01:46 CJ_Parker

So he has come to the realization that you can not continue the crowdfunding ponzi scheme forever. Smart guy. Lined his pockets and punches out. I would probably do the same at that age. Why risk bankruptcy when you can retire with millions from gullible fools in the bank?
The shitty sales performance of Torment was probably his final wakeup call which reminded him how fast you can fall from grace (there might be a slight pun in there Wink ).

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda Reviews
108. Re: On Sale Mar 21, 2017, 08:12 CJ_Parker

Slick wrote on Mar 21, 2017, 06:45:
I'm still curious, how do people have such well-formed opinions about how the story, characters, missions, animations, etc are all garbage, when the game isn't out yet?

I've played the game for 10 hours and there was not a single quest with even a hint of depth or multiple solutions or moral ambiguity or anything resembling a decent RPG. And the dialogues and story was an epic cringe- and facepalmfest only exacerbated but not caused by the shitty facial animations or poor acting of the digital character actors.

Am I to seriously believe that after these 10 hours the game will somehow magically flip a switch and become a actual RPG instead of a linear braindead console cover shooter that forces you into some lame busywork at every "story" waypoint?

The game did not offer a single quest with depth or even a hint of a choice or a consequence in those first ten hours. It was on rails retarded generic waypoint to waypoint busywork "gameplay". Press "W" and watch shit happen, press "W" and watch shit happen, press "W" and watch shit happen ad infinitum et nauseam.

Fuck all that. In the year of the lord 2017 and after the glorious TW3 or to stay in the same series the glorious ME 2, yes Sir, I do in fact dare to have a little higher standards than this shallow, trite, banal garbage. Sorry(?)

90. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Reviews Mar 20, 2017, 23:38 CJ_Parker

KilrathiAce wrote on Mar 20, 2017, 20:19:
lol people call this trash GOTY, lol damn standards in gaming dropped below acceptable levels it seems and there is no going back.

No kidding. And the really sad and annoying part is that the actual major problems with the game are getting totally swept under the rug due to the facial anim shitstorm.
I'm now beginning to think that they did that fully on purpose at EA and bribed mags to talk about the poor facial anims 24/7 so the retarded plot, the even more retarded characters and the beyond retarded writing, simpleton quests and braindead dialogue would barely even be mentioned.

It's an ingenious distraction strategy. But so sad... we have this master piece called The Witcher 3 on the one hand which set all new standards and then we have an army of BioWhore fanbois who are giving this trite garbage a pass while only being worried about funny faces instead of the game's real abysmal issues.

What lesson are EA gonna learn from this? People want better facial anims but we can get away with retarded everything else. It seems to be true. Ubishit and EA games have converted many gamers who once had standards into zombies who just need to be kept busy by doing inane shit in a game. It is no wonder that we can't have nice things. Shallow as a puddle shit is easier to create and it sells. You can't even blame EA for that. The gamers are shoveling their own grave and they are digging deeper and deeper and deeper if you look at the dumbing down of ME from the greatness of no. 2 to Amoebeda.

*sigh*

56. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Reviews Mar 20, 2017, 16:03 CJ_Parker

Bwaaaahahaha when even the mainstream brown-nosy asslickers are giving the game 6s and 7s then you just know that something is very royally fucked up beyond any recognition with this POS game (let's face it... those 6s and 7s would be 4s and 5s maximum with a lesser known dev/publisher).

From what I have played during the trial this shallow soulless simpleton casual garbage certainly does not deserve higher ratings.
Yet another series first dumbed down from game to game right down to amoeba level with ME3 and just when you thought that EA/BioWhore can't possibly sink any lower they slam-dunk the fuck out of the whole shebang by delivering this... this... thing. Eeewwww...

Please keep preordering though, guys and gals, and show them that we want less excellence like ME 2 and more dumbed down shit like MEA. You're doing us all a reeeeaaaalllly great favor. Come on. Don't be shy. A copy for granny and your dawg, too! And don't forget to add those P2W multiplayer shortcut packs or whatever that shit is. That'll help as well when it comes to future games and better single player narratives like in past games. Go, go, go! Preorder the fuck out of the Origin store, por favor!!!!11

News Comments > Star Citizen Swapping DX12 for Vulkan
36. Re: Star Citizen Swapping DX12 for Vulkan Mar 19, 2017, 21:27 CJ_Parker

SirKnight wrote on Mar 19, 2017, 21:05:
I am very glad to see these devs go to Vulkan and hope to see more of this.

Same here. Finally some good Shtar Shitizen news after a decade of crap news. Yes, they will probably use it as a lame excuse for more Squadron 42 delays but dropping DX12 in favor of Vulkan is awesome news otherwise.
I would also love to see a monumental shift in game development towards Vulkan. 20 years of DirectX monopolistic dominance is more than enough.
Fuck Microsoft and free the games from their stranglehold! I'd switch to Linux in a heartbeat if there would finally be a free choice of gaming platform.

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda 4K Trailer
2. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda 4K Trailer Mar 17, 2017, 20:13 CJ_Parker

The Half Elf wrote on Mar 17, 2017, 19:53:
*facial animations sold seperatly

Well, going by the free trial they should definitely think about:

- Facial animation DLC
- Lip sync DLC
- Fitting voices DLC
- Quests with more than one solution DLC
- Story DLC
- Decent PC UI DLC
- Plausibility DLC (a.k.a now we've thought shit through DLC)
- Making a class choice matter DLC
- Ultimate unfuck the game DLC

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda Early Access
38. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Early Access Mar 17, 2017, 01:46 CJ_Parker

The Half Elf wrote on Mar 16, 2017, 23:46:
WTF happened to Bioware? Is this the results of the Dr's leaving?

It's the result of plain laziness. CD Projekt could have also leaned back and made a lazy game after TW1 or TW2 to cash in on the popularity of their previous work but instead they chose to improve upon their previous games every time.

BioWare OTOH know exactly that this game will sell millions even if they collectively squat and shit in the box (figuratively speaking in the glorious digital age).

Why bother yourself with complex quests, tracking what the player does or choices & consequences or all that stuff that requires lots of development skills if you can get away with lazy simpleton fed ex, kill and collectible quests?
Those simple quests can be generated a dime a dozen given their dev tools. As long as the player has a sense of being busy it's all good apparently.
Screw quality and depth or complexity. No need for garbage like that when you can get away with much less and still easily sell as many if not more copies than TW3.

If the criticism becomes too loud, they can still give away a DLC for free and/or promise a much improved sequel which will then lead to even more sales than part 1 if they market their repentance correctly. They can then rise to new heights and emerge as the heroes who have listened to the community if part 2 becomes a little better (which shouldn't be too hard given this garbage here).

P.S.: I have endured the full 10 hours and it was certainly a cringe- and facepalmfest of the most epic proportions. Like that face when Ryder got his ship LOL. Didn't his dad fill him in before freezing him or show him the ship or anything? Why the surprise and the awe? Why wouldn't he show his kids around the ark and explain the mission and equipment to them?
That's typical super-dumbass game design where the character should know much more but needs to play dumb for the player. It's game design 101 that you don't do this stupid shit so I'm guessing that it is not exaggerated for a change that they really let the interns write for this game.
The player and the character either need to be on the same page (knowledge level) or you have to write elegantly around it but what we have here is simply retarded and illogical many times when Ryder behaves like a newly hatched embryo.

27. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Early Access Mar 16, 2017, 17:49 CJ_Parker

BTW, anyone wanna take bets on SAM being the evil bad guy in the end? Maybe not at the end of MEA but at the end of the MEA series? I have a strong suspicion that SAM is sort of a Shodan pulling all the strings in the background and using Ryder to his advantage.  

26. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Early Access Mar 16, 2017, 16:59 CJ_Parker

Bundy wrote on Mar 16, 2017, 15:14:
DarkCntry wrote on Mar 16, 2017, 15:07:
CJ_Parker wrote on Mar 16, 2017, 15:02:
DarkCntry wrote on Mar 16, 2017, 14:49:
CJ_Parker wrote on Mar 16, 2017, 14:40:
--edited for sanity--
Honestly, I think it's a positive for a game that you don't like it. You're a better shill than the actual shills, so keep it up.

Good. Then I hope everyone goes and preorders all the games I don't like because it will make the dumb people poorer. More dumb, poor people -> more Trump voters -> more fun in the news every day. Win-win for me. Checks out! Hi5, bruuuuhhhh!!!

This may just be a long shot, it may have to do with the insane amount of idiocy that you spout daily that makes people want to do exactly the opposite of whatever it is you type.

I mean, half the time you're making stupid names for companies/games/people that it totally invalidates any and all content you attempt to add to a discussion.

This. Honestly CJ, what games do you like? I'm pretty sure 9 out of 10 of your posts are shitting on something. Maybe even 10 out of 10.

Dude, I like open world RPGs like TW3 (but also the other less open Witchers), TES III to V (yes, even Oblivion minus the retarded scaling) or the good old Gothics. I also like DAO in spite of the horribly trite premise of a "Darkspawn" demon invasion (could that be more generic?) and Mass Effect 2. Then games like the Divinity series, some of the AssCreed games, the Batman Arkham games, the Tomb Raiders all the way back to no. 1 in 1996 though RotTR was 50/50 with great gameplay and level design but abysmal story and characters so if the downward trend continues this was my last TR game, many of the classic Star Wars games, the BioShocks (esp. the 1st one), the F.E.A.R games (even the exp packs and Project Origins), Elite Dangerous, King's Bounty, Call of Juarez, and many, many classics like the M&M series (no. VII FTW!), the Duke, the original Deus Ex, Thief, the older Civ games yada yada yada.

There's some good shit out there but it's getting drowned out in a sea of uber shit. And MEA is definitely one of the latter that is only worth getting on discount.

See, I don't hate everything. I just try to balance out all the overhyping with some underhyping is all. I bring balance to the force so to speak. Y'all have the wet undies and uncle CJ has the hairdryer to make you feel normal and comfy again. Ya gotta admit that's actually mighty nice of me, no?

20. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Early Access Mar 16, 2017, 15:14 CJ_Parker

Rhett wrote on Mar 16, 2017, 15:10:
... but I did the intro/pathfinder bit, and all the conversations and close-ups looked fine to me anyway.

"The infidels are dying by the thousands in front of the gates of Baghdad as we speak".

Meanwhile in reality...

16. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Early Access Mar 16, 2017, 15:02 CJ_Parker

DarkCntry wrote on Mar 16, 2017, 14:49:
CJ_Parker wrote on Mar 16, 2017, 14:40:
--edited for sanity--
Honestly, I think it's a positive for a game that you don't like it. You're a better shill than the actual shills, so keep it up.

Good. Then I hope everyone goes and preorders all the games I don't like because it will make the dumb people poorer. More dumb, poor people -> more Trump voters -> more fun in the news every day. Win-win for me. Checks out! Hi5, bruuuuhhhh!!!

14. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Early Access Mar 16, 2017, 14:40 CJ_Parker

BioWhore still has a fan cult even after all their mediocrity so I wouldn't take it too serious when someone shows up and defends even the most obvious flaws.

The much bigger problem IMHO is the cringe- and facepalmworthy writing, the stupid voices (like that Salarian with the annoying lisp or that female Krogan uggghhhh) and the simpleton gameplay/quests.

There was a time when quests had alternative solutions in BioWhore games or at least some tiny choices & consequences and when you could ask some pressing questions in dialogues because the game writers gave a shit, thought shit through and gave you, the player, the dialogue options to inquire shit.
For example, we learn that there are exiles. Huh? A few minutes before we also learned that all the planets are uninhabitable/hostile so where the fuck did the exiles settle down with enough life support and supplies?
Maybe we'll learn about all this later in the game but it would have been THE Captain Obvious question to ask for Ryder at that time. It's disappointing when the main character is a complete retard.
Also, the "pathos" in some of the scenes is unbearable. It almost makes Star Citizen's Admiral Bishop senate speech appear like a competent piece in comparison. Almost.

Combine all this with retarded AI, a lame inconsequential skill/character system and mediocre shooter mechanics and you have a game that may be worth picking up for $10 or $20 max for the GOTY one day (DLC plans remain to be seen and IMNSHO it makes a ton of sense to wait until EA announce their "exciting" plans which will probably fuck over anyone who bought or played early).

News Comments > Game Reviews
46. Re: Game Reviews Mar 16, 2017, 02:22 CJ_Parker

NewMaxx wrote on Mar 16, 2017, 01:06:
For the record I'm running it with a 1080 (at 1080p) flawlessly - but I wasn't really paying attention to the exact performance. I'll report back on that next time, but I do have the newest driver and had no noticeable issues.

Yup. It's flawless but still no 60fps+ joy all maxed out (again: setting shit to 'ultra' is not maxed out... you have to manually max it out via the 'custom' option).
Sure, it's playable with 50 to 70fps (on the first planet) but it's just under 60fps (like 54fps) most of the time.

I just finished the first planet and the story is cringeworthy to the max. No spoilers but guess what happens at the end of the first mission? Yes. Right. Exactly that.
This is a B movie scifi flick all the way with dialogues that have you constantly facepalming and massive logical flaws, too. Why are there ammo caches on totally unknown planets in an unexplored galaxy? LOL. Could they possibly fuck this up more? How about giving us at least an intro mission that makes the slightest bit of sense with a little more suspense and an actual sense of exploration of the unknown???

I'm not buying the waking up after 634 years and first steps into the unknown thing. It's all more like Ryder & co are going to McDonald's down the road. The target audience is clearly braindead kiddies who don't like to think too much about stuff or pay attention to the story just as long as there's lots of 'splosions and shit. Casual garbage confirmed.

Oh, the gameplay sucks, too. Braindead AI as usual and we've come full circle from the first ME because in MEA you can also shoot enemies behind cover without them even returning fire or retreating to another cover position.
BioWhore are also using the same old dumb AI "trick" where as long as you keep aiming at an enemy in cover he won't pop up because he magically knows you got him in sight but if you let go of aiming for a moment or shift position slightly then he'll come out. Retarded. It makes the enemies just as easy pickings as if they'd pop out of cover so what's the point? It's just as exploitable.

Checkpoint saves also suck ass. They could at least save progress when reaching certain objectives in side missions or autosave every five minutes or some shit like that. I lost almost twenty minutes one time I got killed on a side mission because the game did not save a single fucking time on that optional objective. No manual F5 save is enough of an injury already. No need to add massive insults by making a half-assed checkpoint save crap system.

News Comments > Game Reviews
44. Re: Game Reviews Mar 15, 2017, 21:44 CJ_Parker

The free trial is available now (also for Origin Access free trial members which is why I'm playing MEA for 0.00 now... I'm not a preordering tard, of course).
It unlocks at midnight in whatever timezone you are so here in central EU I did not need to fiddle with VPN or anything.
The download is almost 44GB but it becomes playable at 42% "already". The game is extremely demanding and is already pushing my GTX 1080 to levels I have never seen before (no hyperbole) just by being in the main menu. By that I mean temps and fan rpm. No other game has managed to push my card to those levels yet (76C@54% fan rpm).

The menu UI is horrible, clearly made for controllers and most options are not explained at all (unacceptable in a 2017 game). At the remote chance that anyone here cares about their privacy (unlikely with all the Win 10 defending and preordering of EA games etc.) you may want to disable the usage data sharing spying features under the 'Online' category.

From what I have played so far this is definitely a solid 9.99 sale.
Performance vs. visual quality is complete garbage (no 60fps all maxed out on ultra with a 1080 and don't fall for the bullshit trap that the 'ultra' preset is 'ultra'... it ain't... you have to select 'custom' and only then can you really set the real MAX ULTRA settings), gameplay is meh and characters and dialogue are shitty as fuck so far.

So, yeah, 9.99 for the GOTY confirmed. Then I will probably also have a Volta GPU and be able to properly max out this pig.

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda Multiplayer Video
11. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Multiplayer Video Mar 15, 2017, 03:16 CJ_Parker

The Half Elf wrote on Mar 14, 2017, 20:27:
And here is our dull multiplayer mode that requires you to grind forever OR puchase all the shit instantly with your credit card and bioware points.

Nail -> head.

/thread

News Comments > Overload Early Access
4. Re: Overload Early Access Mar 14, 2017, 01:33 CJ_Parker

Alamar wrote on Mar 13, 2017, 21:40:
I can't keep track of all these Descent games... Wonder why so many in such a small timeframe... It's not like this tech didn't exist years ago...

Yeah, I no longer get the appeal either. The early Descents were impressive because 3D was sort of a novelty back then and "true 3D" with 6DOF even more so. I mean "3D" shooters back then like Dark Forces or even the Duke didn't even have full free mouse aim so Descent was innovative on awe-inspiring levels.

But nowadays? Yawn. Racing through samey looking disorienting claustrophobic tunnels is about as much fun as slamming yourself in the nuts repeatedly which ain't very fun unless you're a Brit or something.

The demo got old real fast and I can only see myself getting this for sub $5 for a gaming night with copious amounts of booze. Get plastered, play some, indulge in nostalgia, play some more and suck at it increasingly cuz booze, pass out, uninstall.

News Comments > Halo Wars 2 Demo
12. Re: Halo Wars 2 Demo Mar 13, 2017, 18:36 CJ_Parker

F10? Must be some kind of console garbage thing where checkpoint saves are the norm.
No PC developer with more than one brain cell would consciously bind the menu to 'F10' because it's much too close to 'F9' which has been the standard for quick load for decades now.
In fact, any dev who puts the menu on 'F10' in a PC game should be genitally tortured until they never forget what a fucking retarded idea that was.

News Comments > Halo Wars 2 Demo
5. Re: Halo Wars 2 Demo Mar 13, 2017, 13:43 CJ_Parker

What Microsoft Store?  

3789 Comments. 190 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo