Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Duffy

Real Name Duffy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname CJ_Parker
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2006, 23:49
Total Comments 4365 (Master)
User ID 24408

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire DLC Detailed
3. Re: Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire DLC Detailed Apr 24, 2018, 12:39 CJ_Parker

Yeah, it might .

Seriously though... I'm actually glad it won't be taking too long.

I want to play the complete version with all DLCs included so a shorter wait for them to wrap it up is better than a longer wait even if it is a bit shady to charge extra for content that most likely could have been in the main game on release day (at least the first DLC must basically be all but ready to go at launch).

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire DLC Detailed
1. Re: Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire DLC Detailed Apr 24, 2018, 12:00 CJ_Parker

All three this year? OK. Cut content confirmed.  

News Comments > Battlefield 1 Content Updates End Soon
4. Re: Battlefield 1 Content Updates End Soon Apr 24, 2018, 11:56 CJ_Parker

So they are closing the garbage dump? Good news!  

News Comments > Overload Next Month
8. Re: Overload Next Month Apr 23, 2018, 16:07 CJ_Parker

DukeFNukem wrote on Apr 23, 2018, 15:57:
@CJ Parker,

You've insulted me and every other person who is insulted by your comments. What is in your back log that is SO damned important...C J Parker!!!

Well, basically hundreds of games that are not driven (almost) purely by nostalgia .

I have no time for this shit, capisce?!

News Comments > Stellaris: Distant Stars Announced
10. Re: Stellaris: Distant Stars Announced Apr 23, 2018, 14:41 CJ_Parker

*milk* *milk* *milk* *milk* *milk* *milk* *milk* *milk* *milk* *milk* *milk* *milk* *milk* *milk* *milk* *milk* *milk* *milk* *milk* *milk* *milk* *milk* *milk* *milk* *milk* *milk* *milk* *milk* *milk* *milk* *milk* *milk* *milk* *milk* *milk* *milk* *milk* *milk* *milk* *milk* *milk* *milk* *milk* *milk* *milk* *milk* *milk* *milk* *milk* *milk* *milk* *milk* *milk* *milk* *milk* *milk* *milk* *milk* *milk* *milk* *milk* *milk* *milk* *milk* *milk* *milk* *milk* *milk* *milk* *milk*

Come on, Paradox. Them udders are bleeding already. Take it easy, dammit!

News Comments > Overload Next Month
5. Re: Overload Next Month Apr 23, 2018, 14:38 CJ_Parker

Looks super-boring nowadays. I think I always enjoyed the Descents for the tech demos they were, showing off the capabilities of (back then) modern 3D gaming/technology, but in the year of the lord 2018, there is just about zero appeal except for hints of nostalgia.
Due to an overwhelming backlog, nostalgia is going to have to take a backseat so this is a solid PASS.

News Comments > Op Ed
14. Re: Op Ed Apr 22, 2018, 11:46 CJ_Parker

Well, who in their right mind would say that MP games are dying? I've never heard anyone say that except for specific cases like the classic subs based MMOs back in the mid 2000s.

But other than that there has been a noticeable shift towards MP. The articles wondering about the absence of SP games after last year's E3 were all warranted. E3 was a strongly MP-focused circus. This year probably even more so.

Also consider that quite a few decent SP games have commercially flopped hard since then like Prey or Wolfenstein II. News like the next CoD not even getting a campaign anymore are not surprising nowadays.
SWBF2 got a campaign only because the SW fans whined hard enough but it was a disappointing four hour afterthought of a "campaign".

The signs are clear as day everywhere. Ghost Recon Wildlands has almost exclusively been receiving MP updates since its release. GTA V is only a thing anymore because of GTA Online. Bethesda won't be doing a new TES for "a very long time" because they ain't gonna cannibalize on TESO sales and MTX.

SP is not dead but it is becoming a niche for sure since, as the article states, it requires actual work, effort and content creation instead of just building a level, some basic gameplay and letting loose the dogs to play amongst themselves.

News Comments > Star Citizen Celebrates 2M Backers
33. Re: Star Citizen Celebrates 2M Backers Apr 22, 2018, 11:32 CJ_Parker

G.oZ wrote on Apr 22, 2018, 09:44:
NicklePop wrote on Apr 21, 2018, 19:59:

They will be finished games, maybe it's 2019+ ...

Well, considering they just updated the Alpha roadmap with 3.5 in Q1 2019, I'm thinking it will be 2020 at a minimum before it goes into beta..... 8 years into development.

As usual, they are most likely going to miss the target on every single 3.x release by several months so 3.5 will probably be a 2020 thang.

Alpha and beta are pretty arbitrary terms anyway. A beta is usually feature-complete and only requires polishing, balancing and bugfixing. We are still several years (a decade?) from anywhere near feature-complete for Star Shitizen.

If they move from alpha to "beta" by ~2020 then it is just a fake move to pretend significant progress.

The actual full game with all ship roles and gameplay systems implemented as well as all 100 star systems that were promised to be in the game *at launch* is still many, many, many years away.

News Comments > Star Citizen Celebrates 2M Backers
2. Re: Star Citizen Celebrates 2M Backers Apr 21, 2018, 13:44 CJ_Parker

Well, due to all the multi account users it is probably closer to 1 million suckers but they "sucker" twice as hard!  

News Comments > Valve Loses $3M AU Fine Appeal
29. Re: Valve Loses $3M AU Fine Appeal Apr 20, 2018, 20:14 CJ_Parker

phorce phed wrote on Apr 20, 2018, 18:49:
Steam is not high availability. Goes down every Tuesday evening for maintenance (which can sometimes last an hour or more) and goes down randomly plenty of other times. The weekly outages even include the Store and Community Market pieces, which is something that still kind of blows my mind: If you had a money printing machine would you ever turn it off?

Yeah, and what is also ridiculous is that it is supposed to update at 10:00 AM PST/PDT every day, right? Except it doesn't. It also takes a good hour, or more sometimes, before all the changes have properly propagated to the client, e.g. sales that are no longer active, featured games etc.

Every fucking amateur website on the net simply gets updated and immediately has the new content available if you click refresh.
Too hard for Valve, of course.
It usually takes until at least 11:00 AM PST/PDT before all the updates stick.

Until then you have this wonky mess where you have full price games under 'sales' because they were but now are no longer on sale or new featured sales where you click on the link and it takes you to a page where it shows the full price instead of the sales price etc.

You can also forget about browsing any lists like the specials list because when you click on 'back' then you get some old cached page instead of the updated shit. Or you click 'back' and somehow the list gets repopulated according to your interests so you can not just continue from where you were.

Pure amateur garbage coupled with the most craptastic UI out of all gaming clients. Even uPlay has almost become more usable than this shit and that is saying something.

News Comments > Valve Loses $3M AU Fine Appeal
20. Re: Valve Loses $3M AU Fine Appeal Apr 20, 2018, 15:57 CJ_Parker

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Apr 20, 2018, 13:39:
It's sad so see Valve go from darling of the PC gaming world...

Que el fucko?!??!?!

Darling of the PC gaming world??? Stunned Stunned Stunned

Look, I have hundreds of games on Steam and I have come to accept digital DRM like Steam as the status quo but Valve have always been fuckers. Introducing Steam as DRM all by itself was an asshole move of epic proportions.

I guess you just gotta live with some fuckery in your life. My government is also full of fuckers and assholes but I still live in this country. Same with Steam. You just gotta deal with them fuckers but Valve even remotely being a "darling"? Ummm. Nope. Nonononononono. Never ever.

News Comments > Battlefield V Battle Royale Plans?
6. Re: Battlefield V Battle Royale Plans? Apr 18, 2018, 22:26 CJ_Parker

Cool. Yet another reason to ignore this garbage franchise. Thanks, EA!  

News Comments > A Way Out Sells 1M
6. Re: A Way Out Sells 1M Apr 14, 2018, 17:30 CJ_Parker

Ludomancer wrote on Apr 14, 2018, 17:15:
The writing was like a 12-year olds version of what prison breaks are like, though.

That sounds quite impressive -for EA- actually. Given the fact that ME:A writing was on the level of a 4 year old's version of a space odyssey, well, they have TRIPLED the maturity of their shit. Not bad -for EA-.

News Comments > New BioShock Rumored
18. Re: New BioShock Rumored Apr 14, 2018, 07:39 CJ_Parker

I only played the free demo of Mafia III but quite liked it for its unique setting, characters, atmosphere and so on. It was rather bland from a gameplay perspective though so I've been waiting for a $9.99 sale for the GOTY but that hasn't happened yet. Oh well... one day.

Re BioShock I'm definitely a fan of part 1 and 2 but could never really get into Infinite. The city in the sky just seemed too artificial and implausible. I don't know... it just felt off and I never got sucked into the setting as much as with Rapture. The gameplay also felt a little consolized. A solid 'meh' overall.

So, I'm not even sure what BioShock stands for anymore. Another "immersive sim"? OK. I can't say I'm overly interested until they reveal the setting. That's what makes or breaks these games for me. They need to nail the setting and the atmosphere for an immersive sim to even begin to be immersive in the first place...

News Comments > New AMD Ryzen CPUS Announced
32. Re: New AMD Ryzen CPUS Announced Apr 13, 2018, 20:20 CJ_Parker

Ozmodan wrote on Apr 13, 2018, 19:06:
Wallshadows wrote on Apr 13, 2018, 16:06:
It's something like $239 cheaper than what I paid for my 8700k + Z370 motherboard to get a 2600x + X470 board.

Pretty impressive especially if with the uplift in performance even if only small.

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Apr 13, 2018, 14:28:
Save your money and wait for when gpu's and ram come back down in price from the ridiculous levels they are at now. 1180ti should be out by then

Unfortunately it seems as though Cryptos were back on the rise (or at least were yesterday) so we may see another drought with marked up cards. Not to mention the fact that next-gen cards will likely fetch a 20% premium right out the gate.

It's not over yet.

Rumor is that the next version of Nvidia gpu's will not be suitable for mining.

Whoever came up with that rumor must have less than zero of a clue about cryptomining.

The much more credible rumor is that nVidia might release a dedicated mining GPU in addition to their gaming GPU product line.
But GPUs are per definition always very suitable for mining simply due to how cryptocurrency algorithms work.

Anyway, AMD and nVidia are currently losing mining market share to dedicated more efficient mining asics so there is hope that the focus of miners might shift away from GPUs.

News Comments > Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands Free Weekend
10. Re: Game Reviews Apr 13, 2018, 14:49 CJ_Parker

peteham wrote on Apr 13, 2018, 14:35:
Map is huge, and there are enough points of interest that doing 100% is surely going to take 200 hours.

Nah. It's more like 100 hours at a casual pace with lots of messing around and exploring (like I did) or if you really focused on ticking off the POIs then you could probably do 100% in about 80-ish hours.

I have nearly 120 hours total in Wildlands. Main campaign + map = 100% finished and Fallen Ghosts about 50% finished.
This total time includes almost 10 hours in coop which was not overly productive in terms of clearing the map and I took my sweet time with the main game.

It would only take anywhere close to 200 hours if you would crawl all over the map Wink .

News Comments > Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands Free Weekend
8. Re: Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands Free Weekend Apr 13, 2018, 14:25 CJ_Parker

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Apr 12, 2018, 22:40:
Anybody on Blues like this game at all? I'm tempted to try it, but it's like 80 gigs to download, so I'd need to clear out some stuff first.

If you do not care about the Ghost War PvP mode and simply ignore their shitty as fuck business model with the worst season passes in the history of gaming then it is a lot of fun.
I own the base game and the Fallen Ghosts expansion. I only care about single player and coop.

I got a good 100 hours out of the main campaign in mostly single player (and a little coop after finishing the main story) until the map was 100% complete.
Fallen Ghosts is more of the same with some tweaks (e.g. new enemy types) and I'm about 50% through that one.

The best part of the game is the map of Bolivia. It is absolutely stunning from the Andes mountain tops all the way to the foggy, dense lowland jungle forests.
The map is totally amazing and it is tons of fun to explore while making up strategies how to best approach an objective like a cartel boss' villa sitting on a rocky island or high up on a mountain top.

What kind of sucks is the progression system. If you want to play a stealthy Ghost then your selection of weapons is quite limited. You will pretty much use only two or three guns (assault + sniper rifle) throughout the entire game.

Another thing that can be a bit irritating is the unbalanced AI. It is either dumb as a brick or super-aggressive and deadly, shooting you straight in the face with an Uzi from 300 yards. Not much in between.

Well, free weekend is free weekend. They have had a few of those already and will likely have more. If anyone is interested then just demo the game now or later. The game is awesome, especially if you like open world freestyle stealth gameplay.

News Comments > New AMD Ryzen CPUS Announced
14. Re: New AMD Ryzen CPUS Announced Apr 13, 2018, 13:43 CJ_Parker

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Apr 13, 2018, 12:26:
So people that are in the know for processors, how did the new intels versus ryzen fan out and do you see these overtaking?

The NDA on the new Ryzens and X470 boards drops next week on April 19th. You will have articles covering comparisons to previous gen Ryzen 1xxx CPUs as well as Coffee Lake Intel CPUs coming out your ears by the end of next week.

From the leaks that have been published so far, it looks like the i7-8700K will remain the undisputed king in gaming but AMD will catch up a little with their new 2700X compared to the Ryzen 1800X (there is not going to be a 2800X at the launch of Ryzen 2 processors).
In productivity/media creation etc., where lots of cores matter, AMD remains king.

So, not much will change. Ryzen 2 is only a refresh with a rather marginal performance boost for most scenarios. The Zen 2 architecture upgrade next year will be a more significant step-up and it will be interesting to see how it is going to compare with Intel's long delayed 10nm Ice Lake CPUs.

News Comments > Steam Spy Ending Due to Steam Privacy Changes
9. Re: Steam Spy Ending Due to Steam Privacy Changes Apr 11, 2018, 12:35 CJ_Parker

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Apr 11, 2018, 12:24:
I can't stand it when people assume I'm playing Battlefield 1 at 2pm.

LOLZ ... ironically BF1 is not even on Steam but on Origin and the Origin client has had an invisible mode since launch (or shortly thereafter).

I know, you probably added it as a non-Steam game or just gave it as an example w/o considering that BF1 is not even on Steam. However, ESPECIALLY with regard to BF1, it would be easy as pie to play it "anonymously" because it's on Origin that's had a freakin' invisible mode for years already.

News Comments > Steam Spy Ending Due to Steam Privacy Changes
8. Re: Steam Spy Ending Due to Steam Privacy Changes Apr 11, 2018, 12:29 CJ_Parker

Who fucks a give about SteamSpy? What counts is MOAR PRIVECEH!!!11

Seriously, it was about fucking time Valve got off their lazy fat ass and gave us more options.
It is unbelievable that it has taken them this long to NOW finally implement basic privacy features that should have been there since launch. Pathetic.
Just about every simple web forum has had an invisible mode since the beginning of time. Steam gets it in 2018 (maybe) after almost 15 years of live service. Fuckin' A. Even patheticer.

SteamSpy is collateral damage. Zero fucks given.

4365 Comments. 219 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo