Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Daniel

Real Name Daniel   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname CJ_Parker
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2006, 23:49
Total Comments 3426 (Veteran)
User ID 24408

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Dishonored 2 Details
13. Re: Dishonored 2 Details Aug 6, 2016, 06:14 CJ_Parker

Jerykk wrote on Aug 6, 2016, 00:15:
100% ghosting. I guess I'm in the minority of people who enjoy that playstyle, though.

I'd say it depends on the game. A 100% ghosting playstyle can be extremely time consuming and at the same time extremely frustrating if the game is buggy and does not correctly track your achievements which is unfortunately more common than most people have patience for.

The same goes for non-lethal playthroughs. It's often times too buggy to bother with. For example, I remember using tranquilizer darts from a rooftop in Deus EX HR and the game somehow counted those as a kill because it apparently added the "falling damage" of the darts to the overall damage or something weird like that (shooting darts on ground level worked correctly).

It gets even more annoying if the game has no easy way to track whether you are still at 100%. There is nothing quite as "fun" as spending 2 - 3 hours on a level ghosting/non-lethal'ing only to find out at the end that "Times spotted: 1" or "Kills: 1" for some dumb inexplicable reason. Or even worse... if that statistic only shows up at the end of the whole game.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Battlefield 1 CE With No Game
1. Re: Battlefield 1 CE With No Game Aug 5, 2016, 18:38 CJ_Parker

lolwut?!?!  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
18. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 5, 2016, 16:51 CJ_Parker

HorrorScope wrote on Aug 5, 2016, 16:25:
I guess it's going to be can you see their goal and are ok enough with it or have they crossed the line in the sand and no more of any of this!? I'm sort of the prior, I can see why they are doing this. I think more of the power user computer people will find more issue to these stronger armed tactics. But there are millions that need a tighter controlled system for their systems to stay functioning.

Personally I haven't hit the point that their issues can't be overcome with a little more work on my end after an update. But again, I get your point certainly. Yes this could all go tragically wrong, but I don't want to cry wolf too early either.

It's actually very simple for me at this point: I want to play DirectX games and the future of DirectX games is on Windows 10 unfortunately so you got to take the good with the bad and the bad with the good.

If there were a serious alternative (no, I do not think that Wine is a serious enough alternative in terms of compatibility and performance) or if DirectX 12 would be available for Windows 7 including mainstream support on Windows 7 beyond 2020 then I would have stuck with Win 7 forever after or moved on to another OS that supports DirectX gaming.

In absence of any of that, well... Windows 10 it is... but I'm less than impressed with Microsoft's NWO so far. I find it especially annoying (coming from the Win 7 Ultimate version) that they do not respect Windows 10 Pro as a more customizable environment and have actually taken away customization options with the AU.

Microsoft once again totally fails at respecting their users. Why not give people a choice between "dummy" mode and "expert" mode? Pro should be "expert" by default. Home shouldn't be "dummy" all the way either but at least configurable to some extent if MS would properly respect their users.

But no... instead they feel like they have to go chasing Apple's walled garden approach about a decade too late. That bunch of primates!

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 5, 2016, 12:30 CJ_Parker

HorrorScope wrote on Aug 5, 2016, 11:56:
So he mentions two issues:

Puts skype back on your system. Yeah we all rather not be bothered with an app we don't want. I assume you can just take it back off?

[...]

I'm not saying any of this is great, I'm just not so sure it is all that different then it has ever been. The only real difference is their persistence on wanting to update you.

It did not just (re-)install Skype but the entire Microsoft shit app catalogue of a dozen+ apps from 3D Builder to the Store to the Shitbox app (even if or especially if you had previously uninstalled them). No option, no user prompt, nothing. Boom. Apps back again. Suck it up, maggots!

And you're saying this is no different than before? Really? So, when did Windows 7 dump a ton of crapware/spyware programs right on top of ya? When did Windows 7 update and reset your VGA driver (as the anniversary update did)? When did Windows 7 update and -without user consent- change a bunch of settings or remove the ability to change them back (removal of certain group policies etc.)?

Sorry but the disrespect Microshit is sporting with regard to their users is at a new all-time high. It is incredible what Win 10 customers have to put up with, free "upgrade" or not.

News Comments > DOOM: Unto the Evil Released
13. Re: DOOM: Unto the Evil Released Aug 5, 2016, 08:05 CJ_Parker

christheshitter wrote on Aug 4, 2016, 23:28:
bigspender wrote on Aug 4, 2016, 22:38:
I just can't get over the Halo look.

I agree! I can't believe that some loves this turd. Have they never played the original?

^ this

It may be a good $5 - $10 max bargain bin shooter (I played the demo) but $30, $40, $50, $60 PLUS $30 for the season pass? Please. Let's get real.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
11. Re: Morning Interviews Aug 4, 2016, 15:05 CJ_Parker

Creston wrote on Aug 4, 2016, 14:39:
CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 4, 2016, 13:01:
Quboid wrote on Aug 4, 2016, 11:01:
It is rather cack-handed marketing. Is there a specific 'apartheid' controversy, or is it just that the game includes segregation? I'm in favour of games tackling such issues even if the result is likely to be a bit of a caricature.

The controversy is or was that they were calling it "apartheid" which stands for a unique kind of segregation and lots of injustice and suffering in South Africa.
I don't think that anyone had a problem with the segregation theme per se (many games/RPGs had those in the past) but only with using the term apartheid which probably should not be tampered with in this way.

Which I think is much hand wringing over nothing anyway. Apartheid is simply the Dutch word for segregation, so it being called Apartheid in South Africa isn't because of some kind of special feeling or the idea that the struggle there was worse than elsewhere, that's just what it's called in Dutch, and thus what it's called in Afrikaans. (which is basically a dialect of Dutch.)

So while it's weird that people in the US would call the Aug segregation "apartheid", the whining over how that diminishes the struggle in south africa is just ugh. There must be an entire segment of the population now that literally does nothing else but find shit to be offended about on the internet.

I disagree with that. Holocaust is also just an old Greek word but it has become synonymous with the genocide of the Jews in WW2. Likewise, Apartheid has become synonymous with extreme racial segregation and prejudice.

Those terms, imo, should not be used lightly in inflationary ways especially not in video games where you have a very high chance that some dumb kids will think that racial segregation in South Africa has been named after the video game Deus Ex MD and not vice versa ("d00d the game is so popular they have even named real life shit after it!!!11").

The dev should use their creativity and come up with a term of their own. Not that hard and problem solved.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
7. Re: Morning Interviews Aug 4, 2016, 13:01 CJ_Parker

Quboid wrote on Aug 4, 2016, 11:01:
It is rather cack-handed marketing. Is there a specific 'apartheid' controversy, or is it just that the game includes segregation? I'm in favour of games tackling such issues even if the result is likely to be a bit of a caricature.

The controversy is or was that they were calling it "apartheid" which stands for a unique kind of segregation and lots of injustice and suffering in South Africa.
I don't think that anyone had a problem with the segregation theme per se (many games/RPGs had those in the past) but only with using the term apartheid which probably should not be tampered with in this way.

News Comments > Planetoids DLC for Stellaris
2. Re: Planetoids DLC for Stellaris Aug 4, 2016, 12:40 CJ_Parker

And horse armor was only $1.99.  

News Comments > New Titan X Released
15. Re: New Titan X Released Aug 2, 2016, 15:45 CJ_Parker

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Aug 2, 2016, 15:38:
eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 2, 2016, 15:29:
Well this naming scheme isn't at all going to be confusing as hell....

I'm already confused.. Was the last one the Titan Black?

No, the last one was the "nVidia GeForce GTX TitanX" and this one is the "nVidia TitanX" (note the absence of GeForce and GTX). They are trying to distinguish it from the gaming cards in spite of the absence of FP64.

8. Re: New Titan X Released Aug 2, 2016, 13:39 CJ_Parker

ForgedReality wrote on Aug 2, 2016, 12:56:
I'm kind of doubting a 1080 Ti will exist at this point.

I'm sure it will be coming. They need to do something with the partially defunct GP-102 cores and the huge gap between the $699 GTX 1080 and the $1200 Titan is just begging to be filled by a $999(FE)/$899(custom) GTX 1080Ti like... maybe in October?

News Comments > etc.
1. removed Aug 2, 2016, 10:56 CJ_Parker

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Aug 2, 2016, 10:59.

3. removed Aug 2, 2016, 10:51 CJ_Parker

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Aug 2, 2016, 12:16.

News Comments > Galaxy in Turmoil Cancelled
1. Re: Galaxy in Turmoil Cancelled Aug 1, 2016, 09:50 CJ_Parker

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAA  

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
26. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 31, 2016, 10:17 CJ_Parker

Better guide here if you do not want to automate login but just get rid of the lock screen only:

http://windows.wonderhowto.com/how-to/disable-lock-screen-windows-10-0162965/

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
3. removed Jul 30, 2016, 12:41 CJ_Parker

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Aug 3, 2016, 16:21.

News Comments > Gone Gold - Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
14. Re: Gone Gold - Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Jul 30, 2016, 01:44 CJ_Parker

Console garbage is gonna run on a toaster. Nothing to worry about in that regard.  

News Comments > New AMD Crimson Drivers
9. Re: New AMD Crimson Drivers Jul 29, 2016, 20:10 CJ_Parker

Dirty Butler wrote on Jul 29, 2016, 18:32:
Ozmodan wrote on Jul 29, 2016, 17:53:
Every AMD card I have purchased, I have had major issues with because of the drivers. Yes, they eventually get straightened out, but it takes them awhile. I finally learned and buy strictly Nvidia lately and have not had any issues at all with drivers.

That's funny, nVidia drivers have had way more major issues than AMD lately including actually damaging cards due to bad fan profiles.

Complete bullshit.

The fan issue only affected the GTX 1080 Founder's Edition and was fixed very quickly within a matter of days. It also did not damage any cards. It only damaged the users' nerves because the fan kept revving up and down randomly.

Like Ozmodan, I have also not had any issues with nVidia drivers for years. It's been smooth sailing all the time. I clean-install every driver update which causes a bit more work but the two minutes it takes to reenter my global settings is time well spent. Better than being a lazy bum and having to fix shit for hours in case something goes wrong by overwriting the older version.

News Comments > Gone Gold - Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
2. Re: Gone Gold - Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Jul 29, 2016, 19:52 CJ_Parker

This game can fuck right off until there is a $4.99 Steam sale for the Director's Cut version that the fuckers from Squeenix are going to charge extra for next year. Anyone buying the game now is buying an already outdated half-assed chopped up piecemeal version that includes less than 50% of the already finished or planned content.  

News Comments > More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney
170. Re: More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney Jul 27, 2016, 15:44 CJ_Parker

Beamer wrote on Jul 27, 2016, 11:28:
CJ_Parker wrote on Jul 27, 2016, 11:02:
Y'all lack imagination very sorely. MS could easily announce a date by which all new "apps" will have to be UWP or GTFO. At the same time they could introduce a legacy mode for Win32 programs, i.e. a sandbox like DOSBox running legacy Win32 programs inside Windows 10.

That's the very short version. If you use your imagination, there are many ways that they could pull this off and ensure that from a certain date on everything NEW has to go through them like iTunes/Apple store.

They would announce something like this pretty far in advance and provide a UWP suite (like .NET) for devs to get used to the Microshit NWO.

Shrugging this off like "haha they're not gonna do this" is very short-sighted (friendly version) or outright retarded (honest version).

Ok, but how does Windows know something is "new?" How would it stop new Win32 yet still allow old Win32?

There are many ways Microsoft could implement this on a technical level (e.g. compilation date checks or they could even "manually" create a database like a whitelist including CRC checks).

News Comments > More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney
160. Re: More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney Jul 27, 2016, 11:02 CJ_Parker

Y'all lack imagination very sorely. MS could easily announce a date by which all new "apps" will have to be UWP or GTFO. At the same time they could introduce a legacy mode for Win32 programs, i.e. a sandbox like DOSBox running legacy Win32 programs inside Windows 10.

That's the very short version. If you use your imagination, there are many ways that they could pull this off and ensure that from a certain date on everything NEW has to go through them like iTunes/Apple store.

They would announce something like this pretty far in advance and provide a UWP suite (like .NET) for devs to get used to the Microshit NWO.

Shrugging this off like "haha they're not gonna do this" is very short-sighted (friendly version) or outright retarded (honest version).

3426 Comments. 172 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo