Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Duffy

Real Name Duffy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname CJ_Parker
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2006, 23:49
Total Comments 4559 (Master)
User ID 24408

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Get For Honor Starter Edition for Free
2. Re: Get For Honor Starter Edition for Free Aug 22, 2018, 20:10 CJ_Parker

Nope. I'm not even touching that garbage again for free. The beta was disappointing enough to never consider this game again. What a piece of shit.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > No 2019 Assassin's Creed
1. Re: No 2019 Assassin's Creed Aug 22, 2018, 10:57 CJ_Parker

Aw, too bad. I was hoping they would keep on cranking them out annually so Origins' price would drop faster. It seems unlikely now that it will hit the desired €9.99 for the gold edition next year.

Makes me wonder tho if this might have to do with the next console gen. Maybe they're skipping a year to focus on AC for PS5 (and ShitBox whatever it will be called).

News Comments > The Division 2 Preorders
3. Re: The Division 2 Preorders Aug 22, 2018, 10:00 CJ_Parker

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Aug 22, 2018, 00:35:
After the debacle last time, what idiot would pre-order this?

Unfortunately metric shit tons of idiots out there. This picture explains it very well.

News Comments > Ancient Frontier: Steel Shadows Announced
2. Re: Ancient Frontier: Steel Shadows Announced Aug 22, 2018, 09:58 CJ_Parker

"A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...."  

News Comments > BATTLETECH FLASHPOINT in NOVEMBER
8. Re: BATTLETECH FLASHPOINT in NOVEMBER Aug 21, 2018, 23:07 CJ_Parker

And thus the Paradox milking commences...  

News Comments > Stormdivers Announced
4. Re: Stormdivers Announced Aug 21, 2018, 22:02 CJ_Parker

Bill Borre wrote on Aug 21, 2018, 19:45:
Okay, I don't play these games so maybe this is a dumb question, but how is Battle Royale different from Death Match?

It's more like Last Man Standing and the only difference is that the playground gets smaller in defined time intervals so you are forced to keep moving until the playground is so small that a final showdown is inevitable.

Or as Wikipedia puts it...

A battle royale game, also spelled battle royal, is a video game genre that blends the survival, exploration and scavenging elements of a survival game with last-man-standing gameplay. Battle royale games challenge a large number of players, starting with minimal equipment, to search for weapons and armor and eliminate all other opponents while avoiding being trapped outside of a shrinking "safe area", with the winner being the last competitor in the game.

The name for the genre is taken from the 2000 Japanese film Battle Royale, which presents a similar theme of a last-man-standing competition in a shrinking play zone

News Comments > Anno 1800 in February
3. Re: Anno 1800 in February Aug 20, 2018, 22:47 CJ_Parker

This looks really good but with DLC already announced I'll get the gold edition on sale when it's €4.99 or summin'.

Love the new tourists and zoo feature which requires you to explore and capture live wild animals (like pink dolphins!).

It's also cool that you need peasants for the economy now because the stuck up noble assholes don't want to do peasant work. Maybe you can even buy them peasants steam-powered gaming consoles later in the game(?)

Anyway, all of that should make for nicely varied and more diverse settlements contrary to the old games. Good shit but too bad you will once again only get a fraction of the full game on release.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
23. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 20, 2018, 22:32 CJ_Parker

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 20, 2018, 14:16:
Beamer wrote on Aug 20, 2018, 14:01:
RedEye9 wrote on Aug 20, 2018, 13:17:
$600 bones for a 2070, that'll sell a shit ton of 1080's.

Those were incorrect, btw. $499 for the 2070.
They changed after I posted that link.

Correction: The prices for the Nvidia GeForce RTX 20-series cards have been updated per Nvidia CEO Jensen Huang’s Gamescom keynote — it appears that the prices listed on Nvidia’s website were not final. The RTX 2070 will cost $499, not $599; the RTX 2080 will cost $699, not $799; the RTX 2080 Ti will cost $999, not $1,199.
source
I'm sure after scanning forum's and seeing inthusiasts say fuck those prices they decided against the fleecing campaign

Still showing $599 https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/20-series/?nvid=nv-int-gcxxpn-56591

No mistake there at all. It's the same as with the GTX 10 series as Polygon has clarified. The cheaper prices quoted by Huang are for the custom designs while the FE will be sold at a premium. Exact same shit as last gen. Nothing to see here. Move along.

News Comments > NVIDIA RTX 20-series Next Month
47. Re: NVIDIA RTX 20-series Next Month Aug 20, 2018, 22:07 CJ_Parker

Steele Johnson wrote on Aug 20, 2018, 20:37:
The problem is always the game software. You buy all this expensive hardware to play a Battle Royale cartoon.

True dat. Or some garbage that runs even on a Xbox toaster .

It's kind of sad that there are so few real PCMR games anymore that really require this kind of hardware as opposed to being piss-poor half-assed console ports that have high hardware reqs just cuz of the shitty port job.

Maybe MechWarrior 5...

News Comments > Metro Exodus Trailer
7. Re: Metro Exodus Trailer Aug 20, 2018, 21:51 CJ_Parker

Graphics: Awesome. Otherwise: Yawn. Yet another boring survival FPS full of clichéd scenes we've seen a billion times. Does anyone seriously get "scared" anymore from any of that trite crap? Looks extremely uninspiring.

Oh well, I was gonna wait for the Redux version anyway (hopefully with even MOAR GIGAAAAAHHHHRAYS BRUUUHHHH!!1 ).

News Comments > NVIDIA RTX 20-series Next Month
2. Re: NVIDIA RTX 20-series Next Month Aug 20, 2018, 14:33 CJ_Parker

The 2080Ti is €1249 for the FE. Ouch. Very fucking ouch. The 2080 FE is still a hefty €849.

I guess the latter will have to do for me. I ain't paying four digits for a GPU.

We're almost guaranteed to get the 7nm Turing shrink next year anyway (and also new AMD cards that will hopefully be at least somewhat competitive) so splurging real big on this presumably relatively short-lived intermediate generation would be ill advised.

News Comments > Metro Exodus Preorders
3. Re: Metro Exodus Preorders Aug 19, 2018, 00:29 CJ_Parker

Rhialto wrote on Aug 18, 2018, 21:39:
CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 17, 2018, 20:39:
Nope. Not preordering anything from these frauds.
Frauds? Care to explain? Because of previous releases which saw a Redux version 10 months or so after release?

Yes, exactly. I'm not buying a half-assed version if they are going to re-release the "real" game, i.e. as it should have been from the start, later on.

Deep Silver is also known for cutting DLC and selling it separately. Risen 2 DLC could simply be unlocked via a console command at release cuz Piranha Bytes forgot to lock it.

I'd love to support single player gaming and I think it is totally awesome that this game will not have multiplayer so the devs can focus on the single player but I can not reward this crappy publisher with a preorder. No way.
Maybe I'll buy the redux for €19.99 instead of €9.99 though if reviews are stellar.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
24. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Aug 18, 2018, 23:22 CJ_Parker

Slick wrote on Aug 18, 2018, 22:43:
So slower clocks, and 15% more Cuda cores you honestly think will make a "generational leap" when it comes to the new architecture?

See, you are once again jumping to conclusions Wink . There are slower clocks only on paper but let's wait and see for real world clocks.

Maybe, if RT is not used, the GPU will actually come close to the leaked 2.5GHz because the RT cores are disabled while the rest of the chip switches into overdrive. That's a pretty realistic possibility.

Also, let's look at Pascal again: My GTX 1080Ti has an advertised boost clock of 1670MHz. It never ever clocks that low. It always hits 1910+, no matter what I throw at it.

It's useless to speculate from "on paper" clocks how oh-so disappointing Turing will be. Yeah, it could be disappointing or it could also have some aces up its sleeve like smart boosting depending on whether RTX cores are used or not.

We'll see in due time... the TDP of 285W is actually an indication that the real world boost clocks will probably WAY exceed the on paper clocks via a high power target.

Otherwise, from the Anandtech article I linked previously...

As for the CUDA cores, NVIDIA is saying that the Turing GPU can offer 16 TFLOPS of performance. This is slightly ahead of the 15 TFLOPS single precision performance of the Tesla V100, or even a bit farther ahead of the 13.8 TFLOPS of the Titan V. Or if you’re looking for a more consumer-focused reference, it’s about 32% more than the Titan Xp. Some quick paper napkin math with these figures would put the GPU clockspeed at around 1730MHz, assuming there have been no other changes at the SM level which would throw off the traditional ALU throughput formulas.

[ ... ]

Otherwise with the architectural shift, it’s difficult to make too many useful performance comparisons, especially against Pascal. From what we’ve seen with Volta, NVIDIA’s overall efficiency has gone up, especially in well-crafted compute workloads. So the roughly 33% improvement in on-paper compute throughput versus the Quadro P6000 may very well be underestimating things. As for consumer product speculation, I’ll hold off on that entirely.

^ The Turing RTX 8000 has 4608 cores and simply going by core throughput at 1730MHz (ignoring all other architectural optimizations) should be ~30% faster than TitanXp. The 2080Ti will have 4352 cores and it will easily boost above 1730MHz.
So, less cores but maybe some architectural benefits... it is not unrealistic that the 2080Ti will outperform the 1080Ti by a good 30%.

I'm not sure what you were expecting. A +500% performance increase from Pascal?
Come on. It was to be expected that this small shrink to 12nm (which is actually 16nm+) plus the new architecture would yield a typical +25% to +30% max performance increase between comparable cards of the previous gen.

We'll see a huge leap in RT obviously since there is dedicated hardware for it now but otherwise we are looking at a normal generational leap, yes.
I'm sure nVidia will put extra marketing effort into touting the RT differences as they did with Pascal in VR. Due to the new SMP projection technology that came with GP-104 they emphasized huge performance leaps in VR. Same with RT this time around.

I can't say I care too much about RT either. Modern game engines have become really good at faking light sources and reflections so I doubt that there will be a visually stunning difference at first. In the heat of the action you would probably not even notice when blind-playing a sample segment.

I'm sure it has potential to become awesome eventually when games are fully converted to make use of RT but that will probably take at least until the RTX 4080 or 5080 series for playable results (4K@60fps).

21. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Aug 18, 2018, 21:59 CJ_Parker

Slick wrote on Aug 18, 2018, 21:20:
Also, I doubt that any benchmarks are going to be using RayTracing when comparing against other cards. Seeing as they're the only one with dedicated hardware, and they're using a propriatary API, then there's really no comparison, let alone no games...

Well, 3D Mark with DirectX ray-tracing support will be out later this year so we'll have a proper comparison tool then.
I think it is rather pointless with regard to old cards though. They will all be much too slow to properly run RT and even the RTX series will struggle with playable fps.

And from the looks of it, slower GPU clocks, and a handful more Cuda cores on paper, means that it doesn't look like the RTX 2080 is going to be worth anyone's time, as it'll just be a rebranded 1080ti with some extra shit that will "never" be used.

The RTX 2080 a rebrand? Sorry but that is very uneducated talk. You may want to do some reading on the architectural changes that come with Turing like this excellent article.

It's an all new architecture. No one knows right now how it will respond to clocks or how much performance boost is coming purely from the architectural optimizations. That analysis will be very interesting once the cards are literally on the table.

You are jumping to way too premature conclusions and simply assuming that it is mostly a Pascal rebrand and that it will behave similarly with regard to MHz and boost clocks etc.

We don't know that yet. It's certainly an evolutionary and not a totally revolutionary step but still... let's wait and see what the independent reviews turn up.

I say this as someone who's been hyped for this, and equally disappointed.

Well, I'm really looking forward to the RTX series and to upgrading this fall (i9-9900K + 2080 or 2080Ti) but I have always had realistic expectations.

Turing is based on an optimized 16nm process that TSMC marketing is calling 12nm. It is a far cry from the jump from 28nm (Maxwell) to 16nm (Pascal) that we've seen before.

The architectural changes are evolutionary and we now get GDDR6 instead of GDDR5(X).

That is pretty much all. There was no real reason to expect the Second Coming so I never did.

I'm also quite sure that nVidia did not really want to wait over two years. They probably wanted to release these cards by May at the very latest but mining fucked up everything real good which is why they are now forced to expedite the release of the new series with GTX 2080Ti being available from the start.

19. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Aug 18, 2018, 21:15 CJ_Parker

Slick wrote on Aug 18, 2018, 20:59:
Also, leaks said the new cards would hit 2.5Ghz. Seeing that it's 1.5Ghz out of the box is a pretty big difference.

Well, then either the leaks were fake bullshit or maybe we will see those high clocks in spite of the relatively low "on paper" boost clocks.

Or, as I said, the cards will boost to 2.xGHz as long as no RT is involved and the lower "on paper" clocks are only applicable for "worst case" scenarios, i.e. when RT is at work.

Personally, I think the leaks were just bullshit. It was similar with Pascal. There were a lot of rumors that it would "easily" OC to 2.1/2.2GHz on air but that never really happened except for short bursts in some synthetic benchmarks.

For most Pascal 1070 - 1080Ti cards, to keep them 100% stable even in demanding games, the ceiling was around the 2GHz mark. Reaching that last 100MHz was pointless anyway.
Most people probably just wanted to break through that "psychological" 2000MHz barrier but whether the card runs just under 2000MHz or at 2.1GHz... who cares? That's a 5% difference in pure MHz which translates to a negligible performance difference of maybe 2% or 3% max.

17. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Aug 18, 2018, 20:46 CJ_Parker

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Aug 18, 2018, 17:03:
How many games are going to adopt RTX without having nVidia's GEforce Game Ready fist up their ass? I'm guessing not many with the next console generation likely going with AMD hardware again. It's just an unnecessary development cost when the "main" gaming platforms arent going to support it, and AMD doesnt really have any incentive to shoe-in compatibility for nVidia's standards. Will be interesting to see where this goes.

Ray-tracing is a part of DirectX 12, dude. It's not a proprietary nVidia thing or anything like that. Any garage dev can address RT via the DirectX API if they feel like it.

Since we know that Microsoft does not give half a flying fuck about PC gaming, it is not too hard to guess why they made it a part of DirectX.

It's for the next Xbox generation, of course. Next gen consoles, as well as next gen AMD GPUs, will definitely support hardware RT via DirectX 12.

Until then, yes, we will only see ray-tracing supported in case nVidia has bribed devs to do so but RT will most likely become a standard from 2020 onward when the new consoles are here.

Maybe nVidia does not even need to bribe all that hard. For the big studios it probably makes sense to begin training their staff now and let them gain some RT DirectX experience ASAP so they'll be ready to produce good quality RT results as soon as the next gen of consoles is out.

16. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Aug 18, 2018, 20:35 CJ_Parker

Slick wrote on Aug 18, 2018, 14:58:
Also, the advertised clock speeds look pretty low compared with the supposed leaks in the previous weeks. They were saying 2.1 Ghz, with voltage boost clocks up to 2.5 Ghz. Now it's 1.3 boosting to 1.5? with voltage what? 1.7? 1.8? I don't know if the additional Cuda count will offset this to make it worthwhile.

Umm... when was the last time that nVidia-based cards were able to reach only the exact advertised boost clock? Right. Never.

I have personally owned three Gainward Golden Sample variants of the Pascal series. A GTX 1070, 1080 and now a 1080Ti. They have advertised boost clocks of 1835MHz for the GTX 1070, 1847MHz for the GTX 1080 and 1670MHz for the GTX 1080Ti.

Every single one of these cards typically ran (still runs in the case of the 1080Ti) at around the 1950MHz mark in gaming. They sometimes hit the 1970s and the lowest I have seen in extremely demanding scenarios was around 1910MHz but a typical core clock I'm seeing most of the time is 1949Mhz.
None of the cards ever dropped below 1900Mhz or came even close to the "low" advertised boost clocks.

I'm sure it will be the same with the RTX series. They will clock much higher than advertised.
Besides, the Titan-V is a beast in spite of relatively low MHz. Turing is an all new architecture. It could outperform Pascal at lower clocks.

It is also possible that nVidia has implemented "smart boost" capabilities where the cards will boost north of 2000Mhz if no ray-tracing cores are used and that the relatively low clocks will only apply if ray-tracing is involved.

I guess we'll find out more on Monday, though independent reviews might come out at a later date since it seems like nVidia have not shipped review samples yet.

News Comments > Far Cry 5 Dead Living Zombies This Month
5. Re: Far Cry 5 Dead Living Zombies This Month Aug 18, 2018, 20:18 CJ_Parker

Darks wrote on Aug 18, 2018, 13:06:
CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 17, 2018, 16:51:
Darks wrote on Aug 17, 2018, 15:28:
This really is disappointing, 7 maps, I was really hoping for the open world to play in. Fricking UBI was great up until this last DLC. now we are getting short changed.

Whatcha smokin' dude? They was "great"? WTF?!? In what parallel universe was they "great"?

The Lost on Mars DLC has a critics rating of 58 and a user rating of 2.9 on MC. Steam reviews are 'mixed'.
Hours of Darkness has a Steam rating of 'mostly negative' and a MC critics score of 72 while the users rated it 4.6.

Where is the greatness? Dude... the FC5 season pass and its DLCs are complete and utter garbage and this shitty as fuck zombie crap is the proverbial icing on the shit cake.

But that is about to be expected from "fricking Ubi" these days. Their season passes are plain fraudulent ripoffs. The GR Wildlands season pass was easily as shitty as FC5 and season 2 just takes the cake and slam-dunks it because you are literally mostly paying for loot boxes and microtransactions with that pass instead of any actual content.

I'm glad I got FC5 "free" as part of a hardware promo and I won't touch the season pass with a 10ft pole, not even on a deep discount. Why waste my time with garbage?
As for Wildlands I bought the Fallen Ghosts DLC (which is OK) separate but won't touch their season pass ripoff, let alone season 2, with a mile long pole. Fuck that fraud hard.

"Fricking Ubi was great" my ass... yeah, they are great at producing turds and putting price tags on 'em.

CJ, your so full of shit, I can smell you through the internet.

You clearly dont have a clue.

Well, your place must smell like a sewage plant then because literally millions of others are just as "full of shit" as me Wink .
Pretty much not a single person except you seems to think that the FC5 DLC was "great" so far.

I pointed out the reviews and the facts are out there for all to see. The vast, vast, vast majority of critics and gamers agree that the FC5 DLC was complete fuckshit so far.

News Comments > Valve Tunes in Steam.TV
5. Re: Valve Tunes in Steam.TV Aug 18, 2018, 01:35 CJ_Parker

Slick wrote on Aug 17, 2018, 22:36:
Also, keep your eyes peeled for the new AU Optronics 1440p @ 240hz panels starting to get announced, I'm expecting to see them make an appearance on monday too.

lol @ AU Optronics

You do realize that every panel they have produced up to now is complete garbage, right? They have MASSIVE quality issues with BLB but worst of all pixel errors galore and dust particle enclosures. Nothing like buying a $1000+ display and then finding out it has two or three dead pixels.

Just check user reviews of any AU Optronics display or threads in corresponding forums. Those displays are so poor quality they're not even worth recycling.

Finally, 240Hz sounds like TN. Ugh. Don't people have actual standards anymore? I guess not when you are seriously considering AU Optronics. Might as well go with a TN panel since it doesn't really matter whether you have a fucked up TN, IPS or VA panel. Fucked up is fucked up.

As for RTX 2080(Ti), I'm sure at this point we can just wait for the reveal on Monday.
I would not be surprised at all if they would in fact reveal the Ti from the start this time.

Turing is probably late because of the mining craze (I'm sure they wanted it out in May but couldn't pull it off) so nVidia might be in a hurry to get out the full line-up ASAP this fall.

Also, TSMC has been making great progress with their 7nm process by all accounts so 12nm RTX 2xxx will probably be a rather short-lived affair and might get replaced by 7nm parts around the same time next year (Q3). RTX 2xxx will probably be old news again in 12 months or maybe even less depending on what AMD does.

That's also why I would not bet on something like HDMI 2.1 to be on this generation of cards. They might as well save that stuff for next year when AMD might also begin offering HDMI 2.1 on their next generation cards.
No need at all for nVidia to push this now, especially since they got their own 65" BFGDs coming up first.

Edit: OK, just spotted some leaked datasheets from triple fan PNY RTX 2080 and 2080Ti cards. The source is the official PNY website so, yes, both cards will definitely be revealed on Monday. According to the sheets the PNY RTX 2080 series will have HDMI 2.0b.

This comment was edited on Aug 18, 2018, 02:04.

News Comments > Metro Exodus Preorders
1. Re: Metro Exodus Preorders Aug 17, 2018, 20:39 CJ_Parker

Nope. Not preordering anything from these frauds. Especially not an inferior release version. I'll wait for the redux when it's €9.99 on sale, kthx.  

4559 Comments. 228 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo