Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 08/21

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Daniel

Real Name Daniel   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname CJ_Parker
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2006, 23:49
Total Comments 3248 (Veteran)
User ID 24408

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Free GOG.com Copies of Some Steam Games
20. Re: Free GOG.com Copies of Some Steam Games Jun 1, 2016, 17:48 CJ_Parker

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jun 1, 2016, 17:13:
nin wrote on Jun 1, 2016, 16:53:
That, and when you're the biggest, people think it's cool to hate on that...

I can understand that "cool to hate" mentality..

But do these people even remember what life was like without Steam? When you had to actually wait at EBgames at midnight to even get a copy of a game? How you had to actually scour forums/IRC for new game ideas and then look it up instead of seeing a game on steam going "oh, let's watch their gameplay videos and see how it is".

Also the total lack of shitty boxes and CD clutter gone? I still have a bin of 1995 to ~2007 video game boxes. Half-Life 1 in that orange box in there too.

I don't think that anyone would argue against the increase in convenience from digital distribution. That's missing the point completely.

What people don't like is all the bullshit surrounding it. The inability to sell games, the inability to access your games if your ISP or Steam craps out (a retail copy is "always online"), Steam's ability to alter games you have purchased w/o your consent (e.g. GTA music track removal), region locking and regional pricing bullshit (including censorship issues in some countries), multiplayer shenanigans where you can only play with Steam people and no one else and, of course, copious amounts of spying just to name a few of the issues some people are having with Steam.

As for Steam vs GOG in particular, the awesome advantage of GOG is you can actually download and own your GOG games. You can download an installer that includes the complete game. You can back that up to an internal or external HDD for all eternity. Your games are yours. Your property.
Steam is rent. Your games are bound to your account and you can only access your games through Steam. There is no long term possibility to back up or truly own your games without Steam being required at some point in the process.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
13. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 1, 2016, 16:04 CJ_Parker

Lord Tea wrote on Jun 1, 2016, 14:19:
The $200 480 isn't meant to compete with either the 1070 or the 1080 but the GTX 980. Purpose of that CF demo: Throw in another 480 and get close to the performance of a single 1080 if needed (for only $400).

In the livestream they simply said that, at least in Ashes of the Singularity, you can now get $700 GTX 1080 performance ($700... this is bullshit, of course, because only the FE is $699 while custom cards start at $599 but OK... marketing blahblah as usual) for less than $500 (not $400!) with a Polaris CF setup.
Sure, 2x $199 is also less than $500 but I'm sure they were referring to a TBA $249 RX 480 model or else they would've said less than $400, right, if they meant the $199 model?

I do not believe that the $199 card will be able to compete with a GTX 980. My guess would be more like:

- $199 4GB VRAM card ~ GTX 970 performance
- $249 4/8GB VRAM card ~ GTX 980 performance
- $299 8GB VRAM card ~ between GTX 980 and 980Ti performance

But we shall see in a few weeks...

News Comments > Free GOG.com Copies of Some Steam Games
6. Re: Free GOG.com Copies of Some Steam Games Jun 1, 2016, 15:49 CJ_Parker

Awesome. This way you can finally turn shabby rent (Steam) into actual property on GOG. This might make me spend more than the usual <= $9.99 I'm willing to pay max for rent on Steam for participating titles.  

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 1, 2016, 13:32 CJ_Parker

The AotS benchmark was not only cherrypicked but if you look closely at the gameplay presentation, you can even see that the game was visibly running at lower detail settings. That was really embarrassing and bordering on fraud.

I guess the point was to show that a Crossfire setup of two 480s can beat the GTX 1080 by 10% while looking worse but not MUCH worse.

Ummm... yay?

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 1, 2016, 12:49 CJ_Parker

It definitely remains to be seen which cards with which specs will come out and where these will settle in.

The presentation was very weird. The only real tangible word on performance was a strange comparison between a RX 480 Crossfire setup (yeah right AMD because everyone is just dying to buy a CF setup they won't be able to use in most of the latest games because your driver team is slow as molasses and sucks ass) and a GTX 1080 in a single game -Ashes of the Singularity- which is known to be an AMD showcase. Yay?

The RX 480 CF setup was about 10% faster than a GTX 1080 according to the benchmark shown. The GTX 1080 achieves that performance at 180W max. The AMD CF setup has probably pulled considerably more than 200W and in the worst case maybe even close to the theoretical 300W maximum. Power efficiency is a huge question mark here that will need to be uncovered in benchmarks.
It does not bode too well IMO that AMD did not show ANY further benchmarks and comparisons to their previous products (380/390) or nVidia's offerings in the GTX 960/970 range.
When Huang introduced the GTX 1080, he spilled a lot more beans for people to digest (performance vs. GTX 980s in SLI, performance in VR, performance compared to a TitanX etc.).

So as it stands AMD announced a card here that matches the performance (OK, exceeds in DX12 - granted) of two year old nVidia cards that are EOL anyway. Power efficiency remains to be seen. Concrete models remain to be seen. So far we just know they will be starting with 4GB VRAM models at $199 and that they will have several more configurations all the way up to $299.
All of this hazy mist is wrapped in a paper launch of a full month before the NDA is finally lifted on June 29th and the cards are supposed to become available.

That's pretty underwhelming on a whole. Color me thoroughly unimpressed for now. Polaris is going to have to work some wonders in the performance/watt department to redeem its first mediocre impression. Guess we'll see on 6/29...

News Comments > Competitive Overwatch Delayed; Balance Changes Discussed
12. Re: Competitive Overwatch Delayed; Balance Changes Discussed Jun 1, 2016, 12:16 CJ_Parker

theglaze wrote on Jun 1, 2016, 11:42:
Also, I also played this on a PS4 with 5.1 surround sound on a big screen TV...it was a fantastic experience with beautiful and smooth graphics, amazing sound, and the gameplay works great with a gamepad

Console peasant lies Devilish

News Comments > Witcher III: The Wild Hunt - Blood and Wine Released
18. Re: Witcher III: The Wild Hunt - Blood and Wine Released May 31, 2016, 15:30 CJ_Parker

Tachikoma wrote on May 31, 2016, 15:14:
It was of course Valve who came out with this glorious idea, taking only a 75% cut from the mod sale.

The split would have been 30% Valve (same as with every digital product purchase on Steam), 45% Bethesda, 25% mod slave. Are you saying that Valve came up with the idea that Bethesda should grab a 45% share?

For the record, I'm not trying to defend Valve (my sympathies for the greed monster GabeN are quite limited in fact)... just honestly curious where you have heard that Valve was behind the 75% cut.

News Comments > The Witcher III: Wild Hunt Patch
14. Re: Evening Legal Briefs May 30, 2016, 19:49 CJ_Parker

Yeppers. Polaris will compete below the GTX 1070 level (probably at the GTX 980 performance level) and the NDA for Polaris drops on June 29 (it is unclear whether that is also the launch date).

Vega is still officially scheduled for early 2017. There was a rumor recently that AMD might have plans to release Vega early in October but I have done some research on the source of the rumor and it seems to be based on a single post in a German forum. The post was made on the same day as the GTX 1080 NDA was lifted, i.e. when hordes of salty AMD fantards tried to spread FUD about GTX 1080 and how Vega is gonna kick its ass. I give that rumor a 1/10 on the credibility meter.

If AMD really had plans to release Vega early then right about now would have been a perfect time to announce those plans to keep people from buying Pascals.
AMD's silence speaks volumes. They are not going to have anything to counter Pascal for a long time. Vega won't be here before early 2017. It might have HBM2 and beat the GTX 1080 but nVidia will have big Pascal a.k.a GP-102 by then to counter Vega.

It is also unlikely that those chips will do much to GTX 1080/1070 pricing. AMD should have learned their lesson by now that price wars are stupid. It has not helped them gain a lasting market share in the past, but what it has done, it has helped them amass a fuckton of debt.

GP-102 and Vega will most likely just occupy the space above $699. Neither nVidia nor AMD is going to give away HBM2 cards for low margins. They'll make sure to charge premium prices for their premium products.

14nm (AMD) and 16nm (nVidia) is still pretty immature. Wafers are fucking expensive. Yields are (relatively) poor. Those high end chips like Vega and 1080Ti/Titan are going to cost a pretty penny when they first come out.

All that said, I have zero interest in buying a AMD GPU anyway. The Witcher 3 is a Gameworks game. I want to play this shit with a high end nVidia card and not some gimped, hot, noisy GPU based around a shitty driver with only half the features that *might* come out early next year.

As for DX12: GTX 1080 is the fastest single GPU right now. Who gives a fuck if an AMD card gains more in some games? The only thing that counts is results and those are in favor of nVidia. I also don't see DirectX 12 playing a huge role any time soon, let alone Async Compute which requires lots of effort from the developer on the implementation level (check here for an interview with Crytek on the subject).

Snnniiiiiipppp:
Currently we’re using Asynchronous Compute in VR development, where a technique known as Async-Timewarp/Reprojection is used by VR APIs to reduce latency and offset the negative effect of occasional frame drops. We’re also in the process of evaluating and experimenting with other uses for it. The possibilities are interesting, but at least for the time being, it also introduces non-trivial added complexity in PC space due to lack of standardization and the relative immaturity of the hardware that supports it, where many GPUs come with sometimes problematic restrictions on pre-emption granularity, etc.

Translation: Async Compute might play a role in a couple of years and by then there will be better support for it on both AMD and nVidia cards alike so this is a total non-issue right now and just AMD fantards badmouthing nVidia over nothing.

News Comments > Memorial Day Mobilization
2. Re: Memorial Day Mobilization May 30, 2016, 15:21 CJ_Parker

ASUS ANNOUNCES MOAR GARBAGE

Awesome.

News Comments > The Witcher III: Wild Hunt Patch
5. Re: The Witcher III: Wild Hunt Patch May 30, 2016, 15:04 CJ_Parker

Overon wrote on May 30, 2016, 14:31:
I'm glad they are making improvements to the game still. I always says that the best game experience is had after waiting. I know it's hard for gamers to wait instead of buying day 1. Seeing everyone else playing it. Multiplayer games I can understand. But single player games you have no excuse. If you wait, not only will you get the most polished game, but also it will cost you the least amount of money.

Wordz of wizdom there, Sir! I am also glad I waited (keep waiting) for the GOTY or EE. I have no problem watching "everyone else" playing it. Who cares? The game being single player is roughly the same for dude A, dude B, dude C, dude D, everyone. No one is a special snowflake for playing it early, no matter how much they think they may be.

With CDP in particular, thanks to their excellent support, you just know that you are getting a much improved experience once they are done patching and expanding the game.
I'm gonna buy a GTX 1080 later this year to enjoy the best possible experience the fully enhanced and patched up GOTY/EE version has to offer by then.

The benefits of a little patience: A much better game on much better hardware for a much better price. Win-win-win.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
13. Re: Sunday Tech Bits May 30, 2016, 05:28 CJ_Parker

Slick wrote on May 30, 2016, 05:15:
Doesn't really show much but does confirm that the GPU is only making contact with 4/5 heatpipes

Dude? Glasses? It's actually only touching 2.5 heatpipes. Note that only the small center square is the actual GPU. The shit around the small square is just shit. Well, glue and shit.

anyone care to explain what 8+2 means?

Yeah. Simple. It means that this GPU has juice like Peter North.

9. Re: Sunday Tech Bits May 29, 2016, 23:36 CJ_Parker

Slick wrote on May 29, 2016, 22:58:
10 Slick bucks to the first person to post a detailed review of the Strix. (I already found the translated Chinese one)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv_B-zc0kcE

And consider it free. I don't want your 3rd world Slick bucks currency!

News Comments > Steam Top 10
3. Re: Steam Top 10 May 29, 2016, 20:01 CJ_Parker

nin wrote on May 29, 2016, 19:44:
CJ_Parker wrote on May 29, 2016, 17:50:
Fucking what??? Youtuber's fucking life in a fucking Steam fucking top 10???

DAFUXXORATION???

This is it, guys. May 29th 2016. Gaming has officially totally gone down the shitter. Doomsday. It's over. The fucktards have won.

Is you post supposed to be humorous? You sound like a 14 y/o.

You offend me... I was hoping to sound like 12 and below

2. Re: Sunday Tech Bits May 29, 2016, 17:52 CJ_Parker

Dude, the custom models have been announced with a MSRP of $599 from day one (May 6th). The FE's MSRP is $699 and of course it does not "stick" to the custom models because the custom models are not the FE.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
1. Re: Steam Top 10 May 29, 2016, 17:50 CJ_Parker

Fucking what??? Youtuber's fucking life in a fucking Steam fucking top 10???

DAFUXXORATION???

This is it, guys. May 29th 2016. Gaming has officially totally gone down the shitter. Doomsday. It's over. The fucktards have won.

News Comments > Mafia III Trailer
5. Re: Mafia III Trailer May 28, 2016, 15:51 CJ_Parker

Acleacius wrote on May 28, 2016, 14:55:
Still haven't played Mafia 2. Not that I could buy it if I wanted, it's still removed from Steam

You in the US of A, right? Here in EU Mafia 2 can be bought from Steam. Only Mafia 1 is a no-show. Maybe have a EU friend gift ya a copy or buy retail? Or check the Steam store... maybe it is back on Steam in the US, too, and your info is just outdated.

As for Mafia 3, yeah, garbage console port = Steam sale material (if at all). No brainer.

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 28, 2016, 11:08 CJ_Parker

Ozmodan wrote on May 28, 2016, 08:36:
All this 1080 testing is fine, but when you get down to it, no game needs this much power atm.

Bovine feces, dude.

Lots of people with actual standards, you know, as opposed to latent console peasantry, can easily push these cards to the limit even in full HD via:

- DSR
- VR
- 3D Vision
- Surround setups
- 120/144/165Hz displays "requiring" high fps
- Mods (ENB, textures, whatevs)

Heck, in some cases even just turning everything to ultra settings with 8x MSAA and the highest SSAO settings can be enough to give even a GTX 1080 a run for its monnnneeeehhhh.

So if your definition of "need" and "runs" matches that of a console peasant who is fine with it as long as the game doesn't look like Pacman then yeah you won't "need" as much power but anyone with actual standards who fully embraces the potential of gaming on a high end PC will be very interested in these cards. I know I am and I might get a GTX 1080 in a few weeks when the price wars have settled down.

I'm on 1440p and even this GTX 1080 motherfucker still can not run Crysis 3 at a steady 60+fps. Godfuckindammit. I'm already looking forward to the next gen after Pascal.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue May 27, 2016, 10:26 CJ_Parker

Hahaha a B-17 gunner with the name of "Rector" is straight from the shit-you-can-not-make-up category!  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
15. Re: Morning Safety Dance May 26, 2016, 18:01 CJ_Parker

Saboth wrote on May 25, 2016, 22:18:
Fritzo wrote on May 25, 2016, 21:26:
Microsoft has since fixed the Windows 10 upgrade window.

It now says "If you DO NOT not want to not upgrade, click the Upgrade button."

Lol. I really fail to understand how MS just glosses over the fact that automatically upgrading to 10 can break people's software that they might have paid hundreds or thousands of dollars for. Hell, Windows 10 just outright uninstalled 2 programs I had on my machine, without even notifying me or anything. I just upgraded and they were completely gone. Fortunately they were both easily reinstalled, but maybe someone else doesn't have their disks or codes or something. Or maybe a company has some legacy software that they rigged up to barely work in Windows 7, and Windows 10 breaks it.

You fail to understand that because you are a normal human being with regular brain activity. The fucktards at Microsoft who are making decisions like the forced upgrade have the severe disadvantage of being completely retarded amoeba.
It is incomprehensible because of real world biological and physiological differences. Don't waste time trying to understand it. You can not possibly sink that low IQ-wise. No one can. Redmond has a very unique kind of total retard population.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
1. Re: Morning Interviews May 26, 2016, 17:53 CJ_Parker

Is that interview for the hearing impaired or WTF is up with that ALL CAPS SHIT????

Fookin' A, man!

3248 Comments. 163 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo