Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Daniel

Real Name Daniel   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname CJ_Parker
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2006, 23:49
Total Comments 3427 (Veteran)
User ID 24408

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers & Mobile GPUs
24. Re: New GeForce Drivers & Mobile GPUs Aug 17, 2016, 03:31 CJ_Parker

Simon Says wrote on Aug 16, 2016, 23:31:
Any words if these fix the DPC latency and stutter issues people are having?

Top of the morning to you, Sir!

They fixed that about a month ago and every (beta) driver release since then has had it incorporated, of course.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Mass Effect Remasters Hint
16. Re: Mass Effect Remasters Hint Aug 17, 2016, 03:16 CJ_Parker

Might be worth remastering for the console peasants but for PC? Fuck no. Mass Effect 2 and 3 still look pretty damned good and there is a fairly decent texture pack to put lipstick on the ME1 pig.
For PC it's completely pointless except to bundle all the DLC (which already should have happened ages ago anyway).

Fuck this cash grab.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Windows 10 auto-enabled GameDVR last week - here’s how to turn it off and save your frames. Aug 16, 2016, 13:39 CJ_Parker

Those fuckers...

The first thing I did after the AU was to re-uninstall (insult) the Shitbox app (injury). But then I still got retarded press "Windows key + G" messages when launching (Steam) games. It sure enough was exactly this DVR shit (or more precisely the fucking retarded "game bar") that was causing the annoying popup crap.

Barely a day goes by anymore where you don't have to gpedit.msc, regedit or PowerShell the shit out of Windows 10 to fix it to a tolerable and workable state. What a fucking circus. Thanks a lot for the shittiest OS ever, MS (and, yes, I've had ME and, yes, ME was lightyears better and ahead of this motherfucking garbage).

News Comments > Titanfall 2 Testing Skipping PCs
15. Re: Titanfall 2 Testing Skipping PCs Aug 15, 2016, 22:41 CJ_Parker

jdreyer wrote on Aug 15, 2016, 21:11:
Do I recall that they're putting in some kind of single player this tim around?

Yes. Lookie here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkEzBrJ4-S8

Warning: It looks like shit.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
1. Re: Intelligent people tend to be messy, stay awake longer, and swear more. Aug 13, 2016, 12:05 CJ_Parker

See, I always told you fuckers I'm a fucking genius you twats!!11  

News Comments > No Man's Sky Released
11. removed Aug 12, 2016, 20:21 CJ_Parker

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Aug 13, 2016, 11:33.

News Comments > Quantum Break Win10 Support Wanes?
31. Re: Quantum Break Win10 Support Wanes? Aug 11, 2016, 15:32 CJ_Parker

Rigs wrote on Aug 11, 2016, 15:00:
CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 11, 2016, 14:31:
RedEye9 wrote on Aug 11, 2016, 14:20:
Wesp5 wrote on Aug 11, 2016, 13:01:
RedEye9 wrote on Aug 11, 2016, 10:43:
How many games come to steam and don't get support and/or patched?

I don't know, but I do know that Steam sells VTM:Bloodlines in a version that will not run on modern PCs without a lot of tweaking and never cared about including my patch which fixes this and more. When GOG released the game, they contacted me and their version will run as promised...

One 10+ year old game that the developer has not bothered to patch for the steam release (Troika games closed their doors on February 24, 2005). You fixed it, GOG has the fix, shame on Steam.

But with over 6000 games on Steam you can see my point.

There are actually quite a lot of games on Steam that plain do not work (without further fan/community patches) on modern systems/OSs. If the publisher does not provide a fix then nothing happens. Valve can not (and will not) fix 3rd party games.
In that regard it is actually nice to have the new review system because you can identify such games by the recent negative reviews.

But we get it. You are a Steam elitist fanboy. Good for you. Now keep dreaming of your flawless Steam-only fairytale rainbow pink pony lollipop sunshine world .

I can't possibly believe that a company would release a game on their 'platform' (meaning STEAM, GoG, etc) and it not work because of age. GoG seems to do pretty well with it, though they do put a lot of reliance on DOSBOX, which I've always thought was kinda of 'cheap' of them. I hope they're supporting the DOSBOX devs in some way, they have more than half their library to thank for it. If it's an individuals issue with their system, or a few people, then I can see it, but I can't see them putting a game out that flat out will not run 'out of the box'. It might need to be tweaked (or DOSBOX settings might need to be changed, and that should be said or dictated to the consumer in some way) but I seriously doubt it would be broke at release for everyone...

Just my two cents, not that anyone specifically asked for it...

EDIT: CJ, please point out at least two or three titles on STEAM that do not work 'out of the box' for anyone, otherwise I consider what you say to be hyperbole at best...

=-Rigs-=

The difference between CDP and Steam is that CDP has own dev support and they will actually touch 3rd party games by including DOSBOX or rewrite DLLs to make a game compatible. It's their USP.
Steam does absolutely nothing of the sort. Steam is just a portal for a publisher/dev to post their game but Steam doesn't give half a fuck whether it actually runs or not (unless it is an actual storefront issue like with their encryption, of course).

A quick example for a game that does not work at all would be Alice Madness Returns because of EA's broken DRM on the game. You have to actually download a crack to get it to work.
Another one: The original Gothic. It only works for most people in conjunction with community fixes like the system pack or following guides link this one here (why do we think such a guide exists in the first place... because the game works flawless because Gabe is personally taking care of every single Steam release?).
Or Star Wars KotOR (the first one) also seems to be virtually unplayable on modern systems without following guides as well as Robin Hood.

Heck, look at just about any older game and you will find community guides on not just how to prettify the game but how to actually make it work without crashing or serious glitches.
Or if you look through the (early access etc.) shovelware I'm sure you can find plenty of games that are borderline fraud because they aren't even working.

But I know... arguing with Steam fanboys is almost as bad as arguing with Star Citizen cultists. It's kind of tiring when people are completely in denial of the reality surrounding them.

24. Re: Quantum Break Win10 Support Wanes? Aug 11, 2016, 14:31 CJ_Parker

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 11, 2016, 14:20:
Wesp5 wrote on Aug 11, 2016, 13:01:
How many games come to steam and don't get support and/or patched?

I don't know, but I do know that Steam sells VTM:Bloodlines in a version that will not run on modern PCs without a lot of tweaking and never cared about including my patch which fixes this and more. When GOG released the game, they contacted me and their version will run as promised...

One 10+ year old game that the developer has not bothered to patch for the steam release (Troika games closed their doors on February 24, 2005). You fixed it, GOG has the fix, shame on Steam.

But with over 6000 games on Steam you can see my point.

There are actually quite a lot of games on Steam that plain do not work (without further fan/community patches) on modern systems/OSs. If the publisher does not provide a fix then nothing happens. Valve can not (and will not) fix 3rd party games.
In that regard it is actually nice to have the new review system because you can identify such games by the recent negative reviews.

But we get it. You are a Steam elitist fanboy. Good for you. Now keep dreaming of your flawless Steam-only fairytale rainbow pink pony lollipop sunshine world .

News Comments > Another Mafia III Trailer
1. Re: Another Mafia III Trailer Aug 11, 2016, 13:33 CJ_Parker

If they wouldn't have that retarded season pass then this would be the first game in a long time I might actually buy on release. But thanks to the lame ass season pass... cya@€9.99 sale *sigh*...  

News Comments > Master of Orion This Month
4. Re: Master of Orion This Month Aug 11, 2016, 13:10 CJ_Parker

There might have been announcement teaser trailers lamer than this but for a release teaser trailer (why do you need to tease the release? retarded much?), well, gratz to these guys for hitting a new all-time low.

/pass
/next

18. Re: Quantum Break Win10 Support Wanes? Aug 11, 2016, 13:03 CJ_Parker

nin wrote on Aug 11, 2016, 10:07:
I think it's pretty relevant - how do we know the steam version is going to get any support/patches? Are you saying the steam version with get zero support whatsoever?

How many games come to steam and don't get support and/or patched? Compared with other distribution methods of the same game.
I bet the number is small because if it was not Steam would not be as popular as it is today. I have never had a steam specific game patch/spport issue, but I might just be lucky.

The distribution platform has absolutely *nothing at all* to do with any of that. What are you thinking? That Valve/Steam codes patches for games? Seriously?
It is all 100% up to the publisher/developer and of course there are numerous games on Steam that get anywhere from zero to few to many or even fucktons of patches depending on how the dev or publisher is inclined.

As for the Quantum Break issue at hand here, the way I understood it is what they really mean is that they are no longer planning to patch the UWP version of the game. They will probably keep supporting the regular *.exe version though as soon as it is released on Steam (and retail and wherever else they are releasing it).

News Comments > PC DOOM Sells 1M
30. Re: PC DOOM Sells 1M Aug 10, 2016, 21:08 CJ_Parker

jdreyer wrote on Aug 10, 2016, 20:41:
... the top ARPG...

Top ARPG would probably be Skyrim unless there is some weird Korean ARPG to dwarf them all that I'm not aware of.

What you meant is the "top clickfest for mentally challenged primates" category.

News Comments > Quantum Break for Windows 7 Next Month
5. Re: Quantum Break for Windows 7 Next Month Aug 10, 2016, 20:11 CJ_Parker

NetHead wrote on Aug 10, 2016, 20:01:
CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 10, 2016, 19:08:
LOOOOOOOOOOOL@FlipFlopSoft

This game must have failed so hard on the Windows store for them to make this desperate move. Hahaha... a most gleeful experience I must say. I might even pick up the Steam version when it goes on sale for sub $5 one day. There's no way I'm paying any more than pennies for a game that has an abysmal 62 MC score and that is published by FlipFlopSoft to add insult to injury.

While part of me would like to laugh at the thought of the exclusivity Windows 10/UWP being a failure for sales etc. It's more likely it was just a timed exclusive.

A timed exclusive when the platform/store holder and the publisher is the same party? You mean Nadella strolled over to Phil Spencer's office and asked him politely if he can have the game exclusively on the store to promote Win 10? I would not put insane schizo stuff like that beyond FlipFlopSoft but that would be a little weird even for them...

News Comments > Quantum Break for Windows 7 Next Month
3. Re: Quantum Break for Windows 7 Next Month Aug 10, 2016, 19:08 CJ_Parker

LOOOOOOOOOOOL@FlipFlopSoft

This game must have failed so hard on the Windows store for them to make this desperate move. Hahaha... a most gleeful experience I must say. I might even pick up the Steam version when it goes on sale for sub $5 one day. There's no way I'm paying any more than pennies for a game that has an abysmal 62 MC score and that is published by FlipFlopSoft to add insult to injury.

News Comments > PC DOOM Sells 1M
12. Re: PC DOOM Sells 1M Aug 10, 2016, 12:43 CJ_Parker

Flak wrote on Aug 10, 2016, 12:07:
As good as this game is (I've put a lot of time in it and largely enjoyed it), it's again nothing more than a console port.

Exactly. It's also a simplistic braindead shoot'em up that is worth maybe $5 max on a very bright day with sunshine and lollipops.
Gamers have come to expect a little more (like a story and shit) from their shooters than simple run & gun crap.

That kind of simplicity may be fun for an hour or so and then it gets boring and stale very quickly. Boom. Uhuhhuh. Boom. Boom. Uhuhuhuhuhuh. Beavis and Butthead gameplay. Yawn.

So I'm not surprised and actually very happy and glad to see it tanks at sales. There may be some brain left in the gamer community out there (a belief I will only hold until I see the next Steam top 10 charts probably *sigh*).

News Comments > Star Citizen Alpha 2.5 Nears
34. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 2.5 Nears Aug 8, 2016, 20:16 CJ_Parker

Tachikoma wrote on Aug 8, 2016, 15:12:
CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 8, 2016, 13:56:
I'm sure they will have promos again where you can buy S42 and the PU together for the price of one or a pretty significant discount. It's CIG. They are very creative when it comes to fleecing people and making them feel like they got a good deal even when they got ripped off.

The zillion packages/pledges/subscriptions shenanigans is awful, no doubt. Also 54$ is way too much for the starter one, at this point in time.

Well, that's what happens when they promise (early) backers a discount. It might be just about the only promise they have mostly kept so far Wink . It also gives them the opportunity to have "awesome and exciting" sales ("last chance... maybe even for real this time!!!11") in the future for CitizenCon or other events like the launch of S42 if/when that ever happens.

33. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 2.5 Nears Aug 8, 2016, 20:12 CJ_Parker

Bundy wrote on Aug 8, 2016, 14:13:
CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 8, 2016, 13:56:
Bundy wrote on Aug 8, 2016, 13:13:
Though gamescon is in a week, it'll probably have a free wknd during.

While GamesCON is a very fitting name for the event when it comes to Star Citizen as CIG is bound to CON tons of mouthbreathers into pledging via some flashy trailers, the event is in reality called Gamescom .

As for game packages, they separated Squadron 42 and Star Citizen (PU) earlier this year and turned them into two separate products. There is no $20 game here and with the exception of one particular promo there never has been either. It always started around the $40 mark. Nowadays it's 2x $50+ if you want it all (S42 *and* the PU).

So, if you want Squadron 42 then the minimum you need to buy is the Squadron 42 Starter Package. This will also grant you access to Arena Commander so you can start playing that buggy mess immediately.
If you want to play in the persistent universe then you need to buy either the Mustang Starter Package or the Aurora Starter Package.

I'm sure they will have promos again where you can buy S42 and the PU together for the price of one or a pretty significant discount. It's CIG. They are very creative when it comes to fleecing people and making them feel like they got a good deal even when they got ripped off.

I think you can get the starter package and SQ42 for $60:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Packages/Mustang-Alpha-Star-Citizen-Squadron-42-Combo

So not really buy it twice.

Thanks for finding my typo, fixed.

Is it showing up as $60 for you? For me it is showing as $71.40 because of EU taxes. But you're right that it isn't quite twice... I stand corrected .

30. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 2.5 Nears Aug 8, 2016, 13:56 CJ_Parker

Bundy wrote on Aug 8, 2016, 13:13:
Though gamescon is in a week, it'll probably have a free wknd during.

While GamesCON is a very fitting name for the event when it comes to Star Citizen as CIG is bound to CON tons of mouthbreathers into pledging via some flashy trailers, the event is in reality called Gamescom .

As for game packages, they separated Squadron 42 and Star Citizen (PU) earlier this year and turned them into two separate products. There is no $20 game here and with the exception of one particular promo there never has been either. It always started around the $40 mark. Nowadays it's 2x $50+ if you want it all (S42 *and* the PU).

So, if you want Squadron 42 then the minimum you need to buy is the Squadron 42 Starter Package. This will also grant you access to Arena Commander so you can start playing that buggy mess immediately.
If you want to play in the persistent universe then you need to buy either the Mustang Starter Package or the Aurora Starter Package.

News Comments > Xbox One Controller Windows Issues
15. removed Aug 7, 2016, 15:20 CJ_Parker

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Aug 8, 2016, 15:14.

12. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 2.5 Nears Aug 7, 2016, 15:10 CJ_Parker

Chris Roberts interview, October 19th 2012 AD

You have stated that you expect to have an Alpha up and going in about 12 months, with a beta roughly 10 months after that and then launch. For a game of this size and scope, do you think you can really be done in the next two years?

Really it is all about constant iteration from launch. The whole idea is to be constantly updating. It isn’t like the old days where you had to have everything and the kitchen sink in at launch because you weren’t going to come back to it for awhile. We’re already one year in - another two years puts us at 3 total which is ideal. Any more and things would begin to get stale.

^

The staleness is strong with this one...

3427 Comments. 172 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo