Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Duffy

Real Name Duffy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname CJ_Parker
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2006, 23:49
Total Comments 5570 (Guru)
User ID 24408

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > On Diablo IV Leveling

12. Re: On Diablo IV Leveling Nov 20, 2019, 13:30 CJ_Parker

On Diablo IV Leveling...

*click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click*

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Half-Life: Alyx Confirmed; Unveiling Thursday

49. Re: Half-Life: Alyx Confirmed; Unveiling Thursday Nov 20, 2019, 09:54 CJ_Parker

theglaze wrote on Nov 20, 2019, 08:49:
It's the Index controllers, man, the best motion controllers released to date. They offer a new depth in input that will mind blow people today...

They can shove their 1079 "mind blow" kit right up their collective greedy assholes. The only thing they can blow here is my dick.

Wake me up when Valve joins the ranks of sensible VR offerings at 499 max(!!!). Never gonna happen because of their greed though so fuck them.

46. Re: Half-Life: Alyx Confirmed; Unveiling Thursday Nov 20, 2019, 06:27 CJ_Parker

Primalchrome wrote on Nov 19, 2019, 13:16:
Why the hell wouldn't it work with Oculus, Vive, and Index? That maximizes their already slim market? They've been building Steam's VR integration for years to handle all sorts of headsets and controllers?

Cuz Valve is all about exclusivity and locking out others. Not a single Valve game has been released outside of Steam to this day even though candidates like the original Half-Life are WAY overdue for a GOG release.

Even fucking Blizztard has opened up recently and made the first Diablo + expansion available outside of B.net by putting it on GOG. Valve are literally the last bastion of all-out exclusivity. Every other publisher that runs a digital storefront has their games on other platforms. Not Valve. They are exclusivity fascists.

This HL VR game is 99% guaranteed to be a Vive/Index exclusive OR it will be shittified for other VR sets to the point that only Vive/Index are going to be a viable option to play this shit on.

News Comments > Game Awards Nominees

10. removed Nov 20, 2019, 06:08 CJ_Parker

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Nov 20, 2019, 07:48.

33. Re: Half-Life: Alyx Confirmed; Unveiling Thursday Nov 19, 2019, 09:12 CJ_Parker

Bob wrote on Nov 19, 2019, 08:52:
Reminds me of when Quake 3 was one of the first games requiring a GPU.
There was lots of wailing and gnashing of teeth by those not willing to buy an expensive hardware device just to play a game.

GPUs have the distinct advantage though that you don't have to strap one to your head to enjoy the fidelity Wink .

Also, I'm not sure what exactly you think you remember there... Quake 3 was at the end of the 3Dfx era. Anyone with a half-serious interest in games had a Voodoo or a TNT card back then, i.e. expensive extra hardware to run games.
Or do you just mean combined 2D/3D cards? The Mystique was the most popular 2D/3D card pre-Voodoo so people were actually used to that and the Voodoos weren't cheap either. It made absolutely no difference really.
I certainly don't remember any "gnashing of teeth". The TNT2 and the first GeForce were excellent hardware and people got to save at least one precious PCI slot (yay for a free IRQ interrupt!) to boot when the add-on cards disappeared.

Anyway, the comparison is complete suckage. VR headsets are a whole different animal due to being wearable hardware devices. Apples and... nope, not even oranges... apples and airplanes. Two totally different worlds.

News Comments > Steam Top 10

14. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 18, 2019, 16:39 CJ_Parker

Verno wrote on Nov 18, 2019, 07:52:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 17, 2019, 22:29:
jacobvandy wrote on Nov 17, 2019, 21:30:
Not everyone wants to support the monthly subscription model for games.

You presume that you will have a choice.

Publishers are pretty addicted to preorders and first month unit sales are still the most important sales metric to the industry.

Yeah, back in 2017 maybe. Nowadays many games or huge franchises make considerably more revenue from the MTX than from the actual game sales and that is where all the publishers are heading at the moment with their GaaS business model. It seems many games get discounted faster than ever because selling actual game SKUs is becoming more and more secondary to the follow-up MTX sales.

That's why we have this subscription stuff. For every cheapskate asshole like me who is simply "abusing" it to get a game like JFO on the cheap, there are dozens who get hooked on some GaaS crap while their sub is active and they splurge big time on MTX.

At least that's how it is now. There are already some mild indications (GR Breakpoint backlash) that people aren't too enamored with GaaS... or maybe just not when it is done too obviously(?).
The subs model is certainly an experiment for the publishers but Origin Access has been around a while now and it has not cut into EA's bottom line. Their return to Steam to advertise their subs to a much larger audience shows they have confidence in the business model.
uPlay+ is a little too new. We will have to wait and see how Ubi's financial reports develop going forward.

The final word on subs has not been spoken yet but with heavyweights like EA, Microsoft and Ubi pushing them it seems safe to assume they are here to stay. And we do have a choice. I do not believe that sales are going anywhere anytime soon. Subs and sales will probably coexist for a looong time to come.

Personally, I will always decide on a case by case basis. I do not necessarily have to "own" every game. I'm not a guy who usually replays games because I have a huge backlog so Origin Access is perfect for me for a game like JFO. Play, finish, demo some other games (thereby actually helping me to save money I would have otherwise maybe spent on a Steam/Fanatical/GMG/CDKeys/whatever sale), cancel sub, move on.
Certain games, however, I will want to own like e.g. the Cyberpunk 2077 GOTY whenever that is going to be released in 2022 or so.
Works for me. I do not mind subs as long as buying remains an option (and I'm sure it will for many more years).

News Comments > Half-Life: Alyx VR Game Plans Leaked?

12. Re: Half-Life: Alyx VR Game Plans Leaked? Nov 18, 2019, 15:56 CJ_Parker

Ahumado wrote on Nov 18, 2019, 12:50:
Alyx is a boy just so you all now that

Nah. I'm pretty sure Alyx is an "it".

News Comments > Sunday Multiplex

3. Re: Sunday Multiplex Nov 17, 2019, 14:23 CJ_Parker

Yep. Something's seriously wrong with your eyesight, dude.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10

1. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 17, 2019, 14:20 CJ_Parker

ROFLMAO @ people buying JFO on Steam

The game can be rented for /$14.99 on Origin and even if you wanted to "own" it (more like permanent rent) then it'd be cheaper to rent it for a month now and just buy it on sale later... or to buy an Origin key from a reputable key site. This is a game that will get discounted very quickly once the Episode IX hype has died down. It will be /$ 29.99 in March at the latest.

I guess people buying it on Steam just enjoy flushing monies down the shitter. Oh well. To each their own...

News Comments > Game Reviews

2. Re: Game Reviews Nov 17, 2019, 10:38 CJ_Parker

El Pit wrote on Nov 17, 2019, 03:22:
So it seems Fallen Order is a good, but not great, console game with all the features of typical console games like Uncharted but is in no way what fans of Jedi Knight wanted. Also, the endgame seems to be much weaker than the first two thirds of the game. The story seems to start strong, too, but kind of gets more confused after a few hours.

Well, now all I hope for is remasters of the Jedi Knight games. All the young kids can have Fallen Order but I would rather have a Jedi Knight game with new graphics - leave everything else as it was, please.
Signed by an old gamer

Haha, pretty much, yes.

I don't know about "story seems to start strong" though. I don't really want to know what a weak start is then. I guess it's OK but certainly not strong.

So, Cal is a Jedi in hiding, uses da foarce which for some reason gets detected by the imps even though Cal and the guy he saves via da foarce are somewhere high up in the air with no witnesses in sight but whatever... and then when shit's about to get real, Cal gets saved by this politically correct (SJW FTW... white male lead gets black, unattractive -you know to avoid her being regarded just as deco- female co-lead) Jedi chick Cere that looks like a frog who motivates Cal to believe that rebuilding the Jedi order would be a really cool idea and Cal is like "fuck yeah, let's do this"... except he isn't quiiite because this is a family-friendly Disney game with no f-bombs.

Yeah, the story loses focus afterwards and the individual local plots on the planets that Cal is stopping by gain more weight. It's fine though... this really is a family-friendly Disney Star Wars game for kiddies so if you remind yourself that you are not the target demographic then it isn't so bad. As a 12 year old I would have thought this is really keeeewwwwl ... especially BD-1... aaawwwwww sooooo cute.

As I said before, it is OK for a 14.99 game if you are (were) a Star Wars fan as the game does have its Star Wars-y moments. The story is at least motivating enough to keep me playing even though some of the characters are annoying (to an adult person) like the Jedi frog chick and the pilot of your ship who looks like Gollum and Garfield had a bastard child.

The gameplay is mediocre. While the game is actually challenging on Jedi Master sometimes, I am really missing a lot of stuff like saber throw and it is kind of weird how the game has many locations on each planet that you can only access much later when you pick up the appropriate skill during the story progression. I have always disliked backtracking like that and have actually decided to ignore most of the "secrets". They are rather pointless anyway.
The checkpoint save system + respawns is atrocious. This can be really annoying to the point of infuriating sometimes when you lose an easy fight due to getting stun-locked and get respawned a relatively looong way back where you have to do all the jumps and the climbs and the puzzles again to get to where you were.

The level design is actually pretty good though. They are a little convoluted at times which is making the backtracking annoying but the first time through, including figuring out the puzzles which are quite cool sometimes, is fun.
My only gripe here would be that the locations seem very unnatural. You aren't really visiting planets but you are visiting a themepark level. I think this level design works better in the TR games due to the overgrowth in most places or the TR devs have simply done a better job of hiding or embedding the gimmicky levels inside the game world. In JFO it is a little tooooo apparent often times that someone built a level and not a world.

I'm probably about 60% - 70% done with the game (story) after 9 hours and will beeline for the finale now since the backtracking really isn't my cup of tea. I'll do any "secrets" I come across that I have the skills for but I won't return for them. Fuck that artificial stretching of game time.
After that I'll dive into what else the Origin Vault has in store. I have already downloaded the latest NfS (Heat) so that's next. Fallen Order is a pretty fun fast food Star Wars kiddie game but utterly forgettable in the end. Play, finish, wipe mouth, buuuurrrrp, move on...

News Comments > Anthem Overhaul Coming?

7. Re: Anthem Overhaul Coming? Nov 16, 2019, 11:26 CJ_Parker

I recently bought Anthem when the price dropped below 10 and I don't think it's beyond salvage. The basic gameplay, i.e. the flying and the gun play is actually not too bad. What sucks is that there is no real point to it. The premise is weak, the missions suck (fly to A, press a button, fly to B, press another button... yawn), the "story" is non-existent, there is little coherence and purpose to anything.

If they keep the core gameplay and manage to embed it into a more living world with an actual purpose (story and shit) then Anthem could still become a good game.

News Comments > Path of Exile 2 Announced

2. Re: Path of Exile 2 Announced Nov 15, 2019, 21:36 CJ_Parker

Nice. Does this mean the first game will now get discounted from free to getting paid for playing?  

News Comments > New Mass Effect in Development?

1. Re: New Mass Effect in Development? Nov 15, 2019, 21:35 CJ_Parker

So predictable. Of course they are going to use the brand recognition in order to try to milk the casuals as well as the always hopeful fanbois again come the next conslow gen. The sad part is they will most likely succeed. If they release a couple flashy trailers the preorders will be in the millions again.  

News Comments > Wasteland 3 in May

9. Re: Wasteland 3 in May Nov 15, 2019, 18:24 CJ_Parker

J wrote on Nov 15, 2019, 06:47:
Have Obsidian had a falling out with EGS? Wishful thinking?

Both inXile and Obsidian have been bought by Microsoft and it remains to be seen whether MS will publish games on EGS going forward.

Obsidian and inXile certainly don't have a say in it anymore. They are now Xbox slaves, doomed to crank out exclusives so MS can finally (maybe) begin to compete with Sony on 1st party games next gen.

News Comments > Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition and Age of Empires IV Gameplay Video Released

14. Re: Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition and Age of Empires IV Gameplay Video Released Nov 15, 2019, 18:16 CJ_Parker

Verno wrote on Nov 15, 2019, 08:21:
I'm pretty sure it's going to be on Steam, Microsoft seems to be pretty platform agnostic for their PC stuff.

Yep, absolutely. That's why Sea of Thieves, the Forza games, Halo Wars 2 and many more are all available outside of the Mickeysoft store.

Oh. Wait...

News Comments > etc.

4. Re: etc. Nov 15, 2019, 18:11 CJ_Parker

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 15, 2019, 11:59:
Ah yes, quality coding at Rockstar.. hah.... as usual, a 3rd rate developer making AAA games.

Yep. Fucking amateurs. This wouldn't be so bad if they wouldn't also be fucking amateurs with a fucking attitude. That makes it really appalling. They think they're Elvis but in reality they're not even good enough for a backwater shithole truck stop topless bar.

News Comments > Microsoft Flight Simulator Trailer

3. Re: Microsoft Flight Simulator Trailer Nov 15, 2019, 18:00 CJ_Parker

And once again the fucking Xbox logo all over and at the end of the trailer as if this was not coming out on PC at all. I guess this confirms what to expect from the "depth" (LOL) of the simulation. This will obviously have pretti graffix for the conslow kiddies and otherwise it's gonna be shallow as fuck for the couch dwelling mushroom loving crowd.

R.I.P Flight Simulator. Again.

News Comments > Jedi: Fallen Order Reviews

7. Re: Jedi: Fallen Order Reviews Nov 15, 2019, 15:08 CJ_Parker

VoodooV wrote on Nov 15, 2019, 14:32:
I may not be interested in the game, but the story/cutscenes could potentially be interesting.

Oh, they are very interesting if you need some involuntary comedy in your life on a rainy day. The JFO characters and their "dialogues" are written in such a poorly pre-juvenile tard style that you can have hours of cringing and facepalming entertainment.

It is not only the gameplay that is reminiscent of the latest Tomb Raiders in that regard but the story, writing, characters and dialogues in JFO are on an equally abysmal level. Seems like the industry on a whole have all but given up on the actual content with modern games. Just mindlessly killing shit is enuff fun for the majority of gamers today.

News Comments > Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order Released

4. Re: Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order Released Nov 15, 2019, 12:34 CJ_Parker

Played for about an hour so far and glad this will only be a 14.99 Premier purchase as my fears about weak characters, weak story, stupid main character and very retarded dialogues have been confirmed. The actual content is terribad. The gameplay is console material and a little too much Tomb Raider clone while the climbing parts just feel like filler to stretch game time instead of having any real exploration purpose as in TR.

It seems like an utterly forgettable game, one playthrough, uninstall, fuck it.

Once I'm done with that I already feel sorry for my ISP. This is gonna be a loss month for them. I have already downloaded the new NfS and I will demo many, many other games between now and 12/14 like Vampyr, Darksiders III, Madden 2020, Ghost of a Tale, They Are Billions, Tropico 6, Sudden Strike 4, Mutant Year Zero, Frostpunk, Bard's Tale Trilogy, and many more...

News Comments > Wasteland 3 in May

5. Re: Wasteland 3 in May Nov 15, 2019, 05:03 CJ_Parker

mellis wrote on Nov 15, 2019, 04:58:
CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 15, 2019, 03:27:
Finally... F-I-N-A-L-L-Y... something decent looking and those assholes have to plaster the fucking Xbox logo over everything *lesigh*.

Well, they are owned by Microsoft...

ORLY??

5570 Comments. 279 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >