Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Duffy

Real Name Duffy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname CJ_Parker
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2006, 23:49
Total Comments 4022 (Master)
User ID 24408

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Dead Space 2 Selling 4M "Wasn't Enough"
19. Re: Dead Space 2 Selling 4M Oct 18, 2017, 15:10 CJ_Parker

Verno wrote on Oct 18, 2017, 12:43:
Primalchrome wrote on Oct 18, 2017, 11:40:
Verno wrote on Oct 18, 2017, 10:09:
I still see plenty of room there for profit.

With revenue of 240M and fixed costs of 60M, you only have to cover your variable unit costs and variable marketing. I find it hard to believe it was 120M in variable costs alone.
....not sure where you're getting $240M. They sold 4 million copies total. It released at ~$60...and later went on sale. The game probably generated $180M at best.

I don't have access to those figures so I just multiplied by the known price at release. The majority of sales we're told happen in the first 30-60 days so it felt somewhat fair at the time

Well, you still should have accounted for taxes and retailer cut, cost of goods and all that .

We know from "insiders" that a publisher receives approximately $20 to $25 max from every $60 console sale after the deduction of sales taxes, cost of goods, shipping & handling, misc distribution costs and the retailer cut.

Dead Space 2 is a pretty old game so digital sales were probably fairly low back then (30% max... probably closer to 20%). Even today the big publishers only make about 50% to 60% from digital sales. The rest is still good old disks for consoles.

We don't know for sure if $60 million includes the marketing or not. The source article does not state this so it was probably the whole budget including marketing (or where did @Primalchrome get the info that there was an additional $60 million just for marketing?).

We also do not know if all 4 million were full price sales or what time period this covers but I believe you guys are aiming way too high.

Best case if all 4 million copies really sold at full price is:
4 million full price copies, i.e. approximately 15% on PC and 85% consoles as is a usual distribution for big publishers so 85% of 4 million = 3.4m copies x $25 = $85m revenue from consoles plus 15% of 4 million = 600K copies x $20 = $12m revenue on PC.

So the absolute best case is that EA made a gross revenue of a little under a $100 million but it was probably way less than that due to a much lower average sales price of those 4 million copies.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Activision Patents Driving Microtransactions Through Matchmaking
31. Re: Activision Patents Driving Microtransactions Through Matchmaking Oct 18, 2017, 14:52 CJ_Parker

Acleacius wrote on Oct 18, 2017, 14:34:
Think of all the developers they've killed off, most of them were hostilely taken over for their IPs, then treated like shit until the company was killed off.

Now this is bullshit. As much as EA and Actiblizz are fucksticks but let's stick to reality here. People like Roberts, Garriott or Molyneux (among others) are fucking sellouts who were very glad to hand over the keys for dozens of millions. Some of them are even repeat offenders like Molyneux who made a fortune from selling Bullfrog to EA and later Lionhead to MS.
There wasn't really anything "hostile" about it. They were laughing all the way to the bank.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 18, 2017, 14:46 CJ_Parker

jdreyer wrote on Oct 18, 2017, 13:15:
The bad news: all your privacy settings are reset to maximum data collection.

^ this + "we have taken the liberty to drop a dozen free crapware apps with additional spying features on your PC without your consent. Kindly STFU, please. It's free, OK?".

News Comments > Activision Patents Driving Microtransactions Through Matchmaking
26. Re: Activision Patents Driving Microtransactions Through Matchmaking Oct 18, 2017, 14:07 CJ_Parker

Oooohhh. How surprising to see such a fuckstick move from Actiblizz. Not.  

News Comments > Visceral Closing; Star Wars Game Changing Direction
3. Re: Visceral Closing; Star Wars Game Changing Direction Oct 17, 2017, 21:12 CJ_Parker

NKD wrote on Oct 17, 2017, 21:05:
A little vague about what they are doing instead. Perhaps something a bit more open world?

Open world - check
Multiplayer instead of single player - check
Microtransactions - check
Loot boxes - check
Season pass - check
Shortcut packs - check
Fuck EA - check

News Comments > ELEX Released
13. Re: Skyrim Creation Club Launches with Survival Mode Oct 17, 2017, 15:38 CJ_Parker

Kajetan wrote on Oct 17, 2017, 15:17:
Cutter wrote on Oct 17, 2017, 14:54:
On the other hand, Gothic is still one of the best CRPGs ever made.
Gothic 2 fits more the description, but that is the past. As is the team which made both games. Past tense. Nowadays PB just copies the same old stuff, hoping to produce another game like Gothic 1 or 2 and they fail. Every time. Because no one there has a clue WHY those games were so popular.

^ all of this is so true it is not even funny (except Gothic > Gothic 2 )

Elex looks like another very mediocre (shitty tech/combat, nice world, crappy story/characters) RPG from PB. It's sales material for me for when I'm in the mood for a mediocre $10 PB RPG but until then there is tons of other actually decent stuff to play.

One huge positive note though: No fucking loot boxes and no season pass scam!

News Comments > Another Star Citizen: Squadron 42 Delay?
38. Re: Another Star Citizen: Squadron 42 Delay? Oct 16, 2017, 15:52 CJ_Parker

HorrorScope wrote on Oct 16, 2017, 14:16:
So who gets there first?

This games promise or Elite Dangerous w/Expansions?

Seems like they are headed to roughly the same place. Elite has a working model in the wild, just needs to keep adding.

Get where first?

The games are conceptually completely different. Elite Dangerous is as sandbox as it gets. Take 100cr and do whatever you want in the (modeled after the) milky way galaxy with 400 billion (mostly) procedurally generated star systems.
It's also technologically completely different, relying a lot on peer to peer connections rather than everything being client/server driven.

It's apples vs. oranges or actually it's almost apples vs. cucumbers since both games have mighty little in common as soon as you start looking beyond the superficial similarities like the space setting.

News Comments > etc., etc.
2. Re: etc., etc. Oct 14, 2017, 19:32 CJ_Parker

Oh fuck.

*deletes Humble Bundle bookmark*

*sigh* ...

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront II Incorporating Beta Feedback
36. Re: Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Incorporating Beta Feedback Oct 14, 2017, 00:53 CJ_Parker

Kxmode wrote on Oct 13, 2017, 22:04:
Please note the "permanently" in my previous comment. I wasn't talking about temporary sales, which is what you're talking about. I was referring to a permanent reduction in price. Did you not see that word? It provides a WHOLE bunch of context for my comment.

It does not provide any context at all because no one here ever claimed that they *permanently* dropped the price by 40% within 30 days. Nice attempt to cover up your fuck-up though!

29. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Incorporating Beta Feedback Oct 13, 2017, 20:15 CJ_Parker

Kxmode wrote on Oct 13, 2017, 19:51:
Also, your point about the 2015 release dropping 40% in 30-days is factually incorrect. It and the season pass stayed at full-price through BFCM and The Force Awaken's release. EA only started permanently dropping the price a year later after engagement dropped. Count on that being the trend for this release.

Again: This is complete bullshit what you wrote there. Why ignore facts?

'Star Wars: Battlefront' Marked Down 40% During Origin's Christmas Sale

And that's xmas 2015. One month after the game came out.

Then two months later, Feb 2016, it went half price ($29.99). Check here or here.

June 2016 it dropped all the way to $19.99.

And a year after it first came out, i.e. xmas 2016 it was $9.99.

22. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Incorporating Beta Feedback Oct 13, 2017, 18:04 CJ_Parker

Slick wrote on Oct 13, 2017, 17:55:
CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 13, 2017, 16:59:
DangerDog wrote on Oct 13, 2017, 16:24:
It'll be interesting to see if they try to hold onto a high price point this time, the 2015 version saw a price 40% price drop in 30 days I believe.

Yup. I don't remember the first 30 days but what I do remember is that the game came out in November and in January it was already selling for $29.99 on Origin. The price dropped like a stone.

I expect the price to crumble real fast again. Maybe not as fast as part 1 but EA have generally discounted their games on Origin quickly in the last couple of years.
The console versions matter much more to them anyway so it seems like they are just trying to push volume through Origin instead of maximizing the price per unit.

Then they add the games to Access ASAP to boost the popularity of the service and at some point they will probably raise the Access subscription price or diversify their GaaS offering by introducing basic and premium subscriptions or something like that.

I think the fact that they're not doing a season pass might mean it will take longer for the price to drop. They're going to keep generating news by dropping free content updates, and that will bring in new players along the way.

It will get cheap eventually, but with this business model, I can't see it dropping like a stone as early as the last one.

I think it will drop very quickly a few weeks after episode VIII has come out. They will try to fleece as many movie fans as possible and then they will discount it rapidly once sales dry up.

It also seems likely to me that the opposite of what you said will happen, i.e. that they will rather quickly turn it into an almost F2P game not in spite but exactly because of the new microtransaction loot box scam business model.

This scam shit heavily relies on a broad install base. You can only sell all that loot box garbage to people who own the game. More people will own the game if the game is cheap or even free. Logical thinking 101, dude!

19. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Incorporating Beta Feedback Oct 13, 2017, 16:59 CJ_Parker

DangerDog wrote on Oct 13, 2017, 16:24:
It'll be interesting to see if they try to hold onto a high price point this time, the 2015 version saw a price 40% price drop in 30 days I believe.

Yup. I don't remember the first 30 days but what I do remember is that the game came out in November and in January it was already selling for $29.99 on Origin. The price dropped like a stone.

I expect the price to crumble real fast again. Maybe not as fast as part 1 but EA have generally discounted their games on Origin quickly in the last couple of years.
The console versions matter much more to them anyway so it seems like they are just trying to push volume through Origin instead of maximizing the price per unit.

Then they add the games to Access ASAP to boost the popularity of the service and at some point they will probably raise the Access subscription price or diversify their GaaS offering by introducing basic and premium subscriptions or something like that.

12. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Incorporating Beta Feedback Oct 13, 2017, 15:51 CJ_Parker

Slick wrote on Oct 13, 2017, 15:09:
On a sociological note, I know I'll get flack for this...

Contributing my li'l piece of sociological warfare here, you will in fact get "flack" from me for fucking spelling "flak" wrong!

d00d!! u n00blet!!!

It's "FLAK", of course. It's "Flugabwehrkanone", not "Flugabwehrckanone" (that looks horribly wrong to my Germanic eyes).
The German word is a combo of "Flug" = flight, "Abwehr" = defense, "Kanone" = cannon.

2. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Incorporating Beta Feedback Oct 13, 2017, 11:03 CJ_Parker

I'll grab this for the SP campaign when it hits $10. Looking at how fast the price of the original game crumbled, it shouldn't take too long. Maybe I'll even wait for it to hit Access, subscribe for a month, play the campaign, unsusbscribe.

The multiplayer is the same dumbed down microtransaction-riddled casual garbagefest as the first part so zero fucks given about that part of the game.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Origins Season Pass and Free Content Outlined
13. Re: Game Reviews Oct 12, 2017, 01:59 CJ_Parker

+1 and a couple billion more to what the Pete with the ham said. Fuck season passes. Fuck piecemeal deliveries. Fuck cut content. Fuck incomplete games. Fuck Ubishit. Fuck every-fucking-thing.

ACO, if I ever buy it at all, will be another GOTY sub $10 sale deal (preferably from one of those "criminal" key sites so Ubicrap sees as little of muh moolah as possible).

News Comments > Ghost Recon Wildlands Free Weekend
12. Re: Ghost Recon Wildlands Free Weekend Oct 11, 2017, 10:44 CJ_Parker

Lovely, Ubishit, just lovely. So, after preloading 48.32GB yesterday, uPlay is now downloading another 9.65GB patch for the game. Awesome planning right there, Ubi! I'm truly impressed.  

News Comments > Ghost Recon Wildlands Free Weekend
1. Re: Ghost Recon Wildlands Free Weekend Oct 10, 2017, 09:57 CJ_Parker

In case anyone is wondering: The download is 48.32GB and you can start your preload right now (rather than tomorrow as per the news post).  

News Comments > Jurassic World Evolution Trailer
11. Re: Jurassic World Evolution Trailer Oct 9, 2017, 18:14 CJ_Parker

Verno wrote on Oct 9, 2017, 16:22:
I'm sure Microsoft will defund this soon anyway like they kill most of their non-Forza/Gears exclusives.

What? What the fuck does Microsoft have to do with this game? Frontier have been self-publishing for quite a while now.

Wow, guys.

One dude thinks this is an open world exploration game, even though the news article states literally in the first sentence "the management simulation in the works at Frontier Developments".
The next dude fantasizes about Microshit pulling funding?

What the actual fuck? Did I miss something crucial today? Is today World Fantasy Day where everyone gets to spout some completely random drivel pretending it's a fact?

10. Re: Jurassic World Evolution Trailer Oct 9, 2017, 18:05 CJ_Parker

1badmf wrote on Oct 9, 2017, 17:46:
i just hope this doesn't turn into a cheesy human drama adventurefest. this needs to be an open world exploration game with an ecology themed narrative as a backbone.

Open world exploration game? Where did you get that idea from? This will mostly be a themepark building game (strategy/sim) kind of like their Planet Coaster game.

9. Re: Jurassic World Evolution Trailer Oct 9, 2017, 17:58 CJ_Parker

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 9, 2017, 12:20:
Ok so we get to see some art assets (which look good), but are we looking at a Planet Coaster/Theme Park type game or what?

The full long ass stream of Frontier Expo can be found on their YT channel.
That is where they are also showing hints of gameplay. The Jurassic World segment starts at about 2:12:50. The gameplay will be centered around three main pillars: Entertainment, Security, Science. You can see the main game screen (I think it is) right about here.
There is also some more Jurassic World stuff towards the end of the stream.

The whole stream is actually pretty interesting. The 4+ hour length is a little daunting but it starts at 27:16 and you can skip quite a few segments so it's long but not that long.
Noteworthy, interesting parts are at 49:09 where they interview a guy from Thrill Laboratory who (as the name gives away) develops thrills for theme parks from a scientific point of view.

Another awesome interview starts here when Astrobiologist William Bains is interviewed. He provided scientific research in conjunction with the Thargoid alien race that just returned to Elite Dangerous. Don't miss the part towards the end of the interview when he whips out his guitar and sings a self-composed song on alien life.

And the interview with Jack Horner (Paleontologist) and his work on Jurassic World is also pretty cool.

If you got time then just watch the whole fucking thing and skip the slow parts (like when they interview some YouTubers *yawn*).
It's interesting how far they have come as a company and David Braben is simply an amazing guy. He may be the CEO of a pretty decent size video game development company but at heart he is still this super-intelligent nerdy science nut who could probably talk for hours about all the algorithms driving the 400bn star systems in Elite Dangerous instead of talking about the actual game.

4022 Comments. 202 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo