Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Duffy

Real Name Duffy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname CJ_Parker
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2006, 23:49
Total Comments 4868 (Master)
User ID 24408

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Anthem Day One Patch Details
4. Re: Anthem Day One Patch Details Feb 19, 2019, 11:46 CJ_Parker

Garbage.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > CIG on RTX and Star Citizen
26. Re: CIG on RTX and Star Citizen Feb 18, 2019, 09:44 CJ_Parker

Dude, let's give it some time. It's been like this with new tech many times.

Back in ye olde days, 3D Mark 2000 looked out of this world when it came out and it ran like dog shit on then current GPUs. It took several years before games began looking like it.

It'll be the same with RTX one day. Games will look like nVidia's demos. The question is not if but when. Who cares if they jumped the gun a little? Someone's gotta get the ball rollin'...

If it takes until 2029 (I think 2026/27 is more realistic for PS6 & co.) then so be it. BTW, we might also see a PS5 Pro in between that could have ray-tracing as an additional feature.

AMD's Lisa Su has stated that she, too, considers ray-tracing as an "important technology" and that AMD is actively working on it plus all the big engine folks like Unreal and Unity are on it (yes, it will be incremental from RT support to RT slowly becoming a more and more integral part of the engines over the years) so let's stay optimistic.

I also think that RT is looking quite spectacular in MOST scenes in Metro already in spite of being a "tacked on" tech. There are a few problematic areas but if you look at e.g. this side by side video (left side is RT off and right side RT ultra) then we can see that it is a really nice bump in image quality in MOST scenes.

Yes, it needs work, yes it was tacked on in Metro, yes it will take time, yes, yes, yes all true... but we'll be getting there as devs receive better training, nVidia (AMD) develop the tools further, as the engine creators release new SDKs and all that jazz.

There is no instant gratification awesome button by plugging a RTX card into your system but there is quite a lot of game support upcoming. It will get refinements. It will get better and better.

I'm going to sit back, relax and activate/deactivate RT depending on the quality of its implementation. No problem. Let's take it easy, one step at a time.

24. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 18, 2019, 08:16 CJ_Parker

Slick wrote on Feb 18, 2019, 07:24:
You think a multi-million $ AAA studio is going to cater to the 0.02% of users who have an RTX card? Or the 100+ million of them who have a PS4, Xbox, or "normal PC"?

Their focus will be getting the best image quality on the 99.8% of systems. It would be irresponsible for them to actually build a true RTX game, as they have zero hope in hell of ever recouping their investment.

Sorry guise, truth hurts.

I would have wholeheartedly agreed with that hurtful truth until about a week ago but ever since I have seen UbiSoft's PC sales numbers last week which skyrocketed for no good reason (no new Anno or other PC exclusive that would explain a spike) by a whopping 58% YoY I'm not so sure anymore.

This might all change again next year or in 2021 when the new toys (PS5 et al) arrive in stores but for now it looks like PC gaming is experiencing a resurgence as the current gen of conslows seem to be getting a bit long in the tooth.

That's why some AAA devs/publishers will probably take the RTX plunge. Let us also not forget that nVidia has excellent developer support by all accounts.
Implementing ray-tracing should be relatively little work for the actual devs. It is mostly done by on-site nVidia graphics engineers (in the future in tandem with AMD engineers as soon as AMD has hardware RT capable GPUs out there).

Shit, I'm still waiting for games to utilize all the great features of DX12, LOL!

Well, ray-tracing now is a part of the DirectX 12 API. Any garage script kiddie can download the DX12 SDK and start gigaraying the living fuck out of their Pacman clone.

nVidia are pioneers in that they have collaborated with MS to make RT a DX12 standard and by being the first ones to release GPUs with dedicated RT hardware but it is now up to DX12 developers to either adopt it or dump it.

What is really unfortunate is the GPU market. I'm wondering what it would have been like if there would have been no crypto boom, no excess stock and all those problems.

Maybe then a 7nm graphics card lineup would already be imminent with plans to move to 5nm next year.
TSMC has been trucking with nary a bump in the road the last couple of years.

If it weren't for economic factors then we could see much larger jumps in GPUs but those new very advanced processing nodes like 7nm(+) and 5nm and beyond are expensive as fuck for the hardware makers... btw, the price hikes are not just greed by Apple or nVidia or AMD but they have a basis in exploding manufacturing costs as well as R&D budgets (i.e. R&D both on the foundry level at TSMC as well as the hardware makers themselves).

These factors are really unfortunate for VR and RT since we are moving so slow in terms of hardware these days. For VR and RT to take off we really "need" a couple of years like the old days where AMD/nVidia released their new gens like in February and then the next one in November of the same year already.

11. Re: CIG on RTX and Star Citizen Feb 17, 2019, 15:15 CJ_Parker

OK, guys, I just got off the phone with Sherlock and he says Chris and Sandi have actually been eaten by Erin. "Heavy", burdening proof here.  

10. Re: CIG on RTX and Star Citizen Feb 17, 2019, 14:57 CJ_Parker

Has hell frozen over? Granted, the reply is from Ben Parry and not cult leader Christ Roberts but this is the FIRST TIME EVAH I have seen one of those maggots say 'no' to adopting new tech.
Does Chris even agree with Ben? Where the fuck is Sherlock Holmes* when you need him most? Someone investigate this shit plz!

On a related note... I'm still waiting for the Mantle support that was promised a few years back!

*P.S.: Dear Sherlock... while you are at it maybe you could also investigate why Chris has only appeared once (January 3rd) and why Sandi has not appeared in a single 'Around the Verse' episode this year while both used to present the format in tandem throughout nearly all of 2018?

Well? Hm? Does it have something to do with the investor stuff? Did Chris and Sandi ride off into the Star Shitizen sunset? Where are they? Caribbean yacht? Jail? Rehab? Recovering from facial beauty surgery? Where?

This comment was edited on Feb 17, 2019, 15:09.

News Comments > Anthem Launches on Origin Access
30. Re: Anthem Launches on Origin Access Feb 16, 2019, 12:28 CJ_Parker

Slick wrote on Feb 16, 2019, 10:43:
$15 is less than it will ever be on sale

I generally agree with what you said but that part is going to be most likely wrong. We don't know how hard and fast the price of Anthem will come down but if we look at recent Origin sales then we can see that EA has been doing very deep discounts of even relatively new games.

They've recently had a "Winter Action Sale", for example, where BF V was already down to $29.99, SWBF2 $4.49, ME Andromeda $3.99, BF I $4.99 and so on (or just check out the entire Origin sales history here ... they have frequent sales with deep discounts).

Basic Anthem (sans any DLC) will probably be $19.99 or so this time next year or maybe even the $15 you pay for a month of Access Premier.

Then again, basic Anthem (sans DLC) might even move over to the basic Origin (non-Premier) subscription in a year and you might be able to get a promo price of only $0.89/month for that one.

I prefer "owning" games (though buying games on Steam, Origin etc. is actually always rent because you can't really claim ownership of the games without the client/account combo) but if they move Anthem to the basic sub in a year or so then I might be tempted to try their basic subscription service.

On a whole, I don't mind Origin Access as long as there is still a buy option and as long as EA is doing these deep discount sales.
Rent-buy or rent-sub. It's ultimately your choice depending on many factors like disposable income, the spare time you have available to play the game(s), how likely you are to replay a game etc. etc. etc.

News Comments > Far Cry New Dawn Dawns
5. Re: Far Cry New Dawn Dawns Feb 16, 2019, 09:44 CJ_Parker

I quite liked the nutty FC5 but there is no chance in hell that I'd pay more than $10 for this DLC. Fucking greedy Ubishit is insane to ask $45 for a recycled reskin with mostly minor new features. The only major new thing here is the base building.

I mean, they are effectively admitting that this is just a DLC because they are selling a named as such "complete bundle" as well as an "ultimate bundle" of FC5 + New Dawn.

Oh well, it's already available for just over 20 from CDKeys.com so it shouldn't take too long until it hits 10.

News Comments > Metro Exodus Released
15. Re: Metro Exodus Released Feb 15, 2019, 18:27 CJ_Parker

I don't know why y'all keep buying public betas on release day. The first two Metro games weren't exactly polished on release either.
A buggy release is to be expected from an Eastern European dev, too. They pretty much all release games in a state that has become known as "euro jank".

CD Projekt have even made a business model out of it by convincing people that patching a buggy as fuck release to "enhanced edition" status (actually version 1.0) is an awesome service.

Oh well. At the end of the day it is your money and your shitty gaming experience and ultimately your choice to support this practice by preordering or buying games on release day. Just don't cry too loud, please!

News Comments > Anthem Launches on Origin Access
12. Re: Anthem Launches on Origin Access Feb 15, 2019, 17:00 CJ_Parker

Xero wrote on Feb 15, 2019, 12:21:
So 15 dollars a month gives you access to the full t!ts verson of Anthem or you could pay what was it? 80 dollars for that version?

So play the hell out of it for 2-3 months, 30-45 dollars worth, plus access to the rest of the library. Quit the subscription, and you saved yourself 40+ dollars on the full t!ts version of Anthem. Good idea.

Wait? What was that? $15/month for full tits? WHERE DO I SIGN UP????

News Comments > Metro Exodus Reviews
48. Re: Metro Exodus Reviews Feb 14, 2019, 11:01 CJ_Parker

Ray-tracing looks awesome and I'm sure they can fix the few problematic areas. Same for DLSS. With new drivers and better training the blurry shit will certainly be fixed.

I'm looking forward to playing the Redux version in full RTX/DLSS glory in a couple of years. I can wait. Technical mumbo-jumbo aside, it seems like the game has some annoying gameplay issues that will hopefully get addressed when they do their Redux overhaul and release the real v1.0. Until then... have fun with the public beta, everyone!

News Comments > THQ Nordic Acquires Warhorse Studios & 18POINT2
5. Re: Skyrim Creation Club Launches with Survival Mode Feb 13, 2019, 13:18 CJ_Parker

Acleacius wrote on Feb 13, 2019, 12:38:
Kajetan wrote on Feb 13, 2019, 11:01:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on Feb 13, 2019, 10:41:
Thought THQ Nordic was a good fit for Warhorse. Then I saw it was their Deep Silver division who bought them. i.e. the "Let's make Metro Exodus Epic Store exclusive" people. Ugh.
You think that Deep Silver can make descisions which go against the wishes of the parent company? Nordic is fine with the Epic deal.
So Nordic publicly commenting "Nordic had nothing to do with this" was just cover?

Errr... what?

THQ Nordic "fully supports" Metro Exodus exclusivity.

THQ Nordic AB co-founder and group CEO Lars Wingefors laid out his position on the matter, saying, "I fully support our sub-groups' autonomy to run their respective businesses. I believe it's in the group's, and ultimately the consumers', best interest that business decisions are made close to the market and this is the group's consistent business model.

"I firmly believe that Deep Silver and Koch Media have carefully considered the advantages and disadvantages, opportunities and risks in their decision to go solely with Epic Games Store. The decision has my full support.

"I have noted that there is some confusion about the two different THQ Nordic entities, the parent company and the operating entity in Vienna. As already communicated to shareholders last year, the parent company will change its name to better reflect its status."

News Comments > The Division 2 Open Beta Plans Revealed
19. Re: The Division 2 Open Beta Plans Revealed Feb 12, 2019, 15:25 CJ_Parker

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 12, 2019, 13:37:
Yeah certainly you can pick apart AI but I can also pick apart a human player. How I look at it and it was over the entirety of D1, there was some very good AI in several parts, esp higher levels and good AI overall for what the standard of gaming is today, along with matching banter between the baddies talking it through. Who's doing it better? If you don't like this do you simply not like PvE FPS? Or name something better all-time and then something better recent.

Better all-time in FPS would be F.E.A.R.

Better recent is non-existent because AI has been neglected in favor of multiplayer focus for years and years now. It's always the same braindead crap (especially stuff like the AI staying in cover depending on where you aim which is such a lame ol' gimmick).

I have not played the first Division enough for a direct comparison. All I can say is that the AI in the private beta of TD2 was mostly crap and I finished all of the side and the main missions in the private beta for a somewhat decent sample size.

All I'm saying is that I can not possibly share the enthusiasm for an above average AI. The AI in the beta is about as average as it gets and like most modern games needs a lot of work.

Every encounter in the demo was extremely similar to another with always the same enemy types and AI behaviors. That doesn't mean that the game does not pose a challenge by the way. It does. It is even a little unfair at times when one of those grenade launcher guys lobs 'nades at you every two seconds or some dude shoots you in the head with a submachine gun from 200 meters.

The AI is still mediocre because every encounter is always the same. And the armored (mini) bosses are almost the easiest to kill because they are so slow and so dumb. You just have to avoid getting hit because they hit hard but it's easy to run circles around them as I said.

So, unless they are holding back their best AI scripts for the full game then I don't see how this deserves any special accolades. It doesn't deserve to be trashed either. The AI in most games is crap. Therefore crappy AI is average and TD2 beta fits right in. It's nothing special at all. Same old...

17. Re: The Division 2 Open Beta Plans Revealed Feb 12, 2019, 12:51 CJ_Parker

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 11, 2019, 20:35:
Reading and talking about bad AI, if anything this has one of the best AI's in the PvE FPS business, well at least the patched of D1 did, I like to think they didn't go backwards.

I'm not sure if the AI cares wot u think Wink .

I was thoroughly unimpressed by the AI in the beta. Just a few examples off the top of my head:

- They are copiously using the lame old AI trick where the AI will ~90% of the time stay in cover as long as you keep aiming at their hiding spot. As soon as you look away they will pop up so once you have figured out this mechanic they become easy prey. You just look to one side a little, headshot, shoot at next enemy, look to the side, headshot, rinse, repeat...

- The armored bosses are super-slow and if you are in a room with a solid object like a column or something then you can literally run circles around the guy because you can easily confuse the AI as it can't decide whether to come at you clockwise or counter-clockwise. You can easily strafe around the column alternating between sides and kill the dumb, slow AI boss without even getting hit.

- Sometimes AI tries to flank you and is apparently programmed to reach its waypoint, no matter what. This leads to funny situations where an enemy will run past you, ignoring you completely while you can easily shoot them in the back.
Granted though... other times flanking works fine and the AI sometimes even does a pretty good job at it.

- The AI is a little too superhuman. If you kill a guy with a sniper rifle from a couple hundred meters distance then it's a little strange that you get hit by submachine gun fire from his buddies less than a second later. The AI instantly knows exactly where you are and their aim is nearly impeccable.
The long distance kill will sometimes also instantly trigger enemies from nearby alleyways who did not even have a line of sight to you or the kill when it happened. You could maybe explain this with the bad guys reporting a kill over radio (in less than two seconds?) but how would the enemy instantly know your position or that it was you who fired a gun and not one of them? I mean the whole city is a combat zone with constant fighting...

Nah. The AI is pretty bad and it is using the same, tired old tricks and "tactics" that you can easily figure out and exploit. It's not as dumb, simple and suicidal as DOOM monsters, of course, but it also does not stand out in a positive way.
It's just as mediocre as every other modern FPS. If there is one area where modern games need massive improvements it remains AI and TD2 is certainly no exception to that rule.

3. Re: The Division 2 Open Beta Plans Revealed Feb 11, 2019, 12:11 CJ_Parker

After the technical alpha and the closed beta this weekend I'm already burned out on the game.

It's grindy and boring. Every mission is split up into mini objectives with massive enemy (re)spawns on nearly every step to prolong "gameplay". The missions are also very similar to each other in their basic structure.

First you have some mini objectives with regular enemies and then a mini bossfight with an armored enemy at the end of the mission. Over and over again. Every single mission. Yawn.

Most mini bosses aren't even challenging because the AI is dumb and slow. There is lots of busywork like the settlement upgrades but all of that stuff relies on grind.

Many of the environmental objectives are also a little too familiar if you have played any Ubi game of the past three years or so (e.g. shutting down a propaganda broadcast station and defending the area against swarms of enemies).

I guess the game might be kind of fun for coop groups who can reliably get together and play through the game together as a tight-knit group but for me as a solo player it was mostly boring and grindy after the first two hours or so.

The visuals are really nice and the high production values do have merit but when a game has more style than substance it always becomes apparent after a couple of hours.

The Division 2 is also breaking the 4th wall in so far as it becomes a little too obvious many times that the mechanics are made to keep you "engaged", i.e. p(l)aying for as long as possible. Ubi is delivering on their GaaS promise to investors here.

I guess time will tell if gamers share the enthusiasm of being "engaged" in samey drawn out missions. $120 for the ultimate edition, which only covers the first year (year one pass) by the way, is pretty ambitious.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
6. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 10, 2019, 19:29 CJ_Parker

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 10, 2019, 19:19:
It all depends on what the actual sales numbers are. You could be #1 with 5,000 sales if the rest are underneath you.

Steam charts are based on revenue, not units sold.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
2. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 10, 2019, 14:51 CJ_Parker

Simon Says wrote on Feb 10, 2019, 14:41:
Witcher 3, 2015 game, still in the top 10... incredible.

Dude... Lunar Sale. 70% discount this week.

News Comments > Cyberpunk 2077 Punks Epic Exclusivity
9. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Punks Epic Exclusivity Feb 10, 2019, 14:49 CJ_Parker

jdreyer wrote on Feb 10, 2019, 14:35:
Yeah, they get to keep 100% of the GoG 30% cut, but I'm sure they'll throw it on Steam as well just for the extra eyeballs. I suspect it will also show up on the Epic store, because why not?

Yeppers. And Origin, too, of course.

News Comments > Paradox ARG Teasing New Vampire: The Masquerade Game?
2. Re: Paradox ARG Teasing New Vampire: The Masquerade Game? Feb 10, 2019, 13:30 CJ_Parker

Zero fucks given if this fraudulent publisher has anything to do with it. They can shove their piecemeal games and their fraudulent business practices, like selling "collections" that still do NOT include every DLC, right up their asses.

Fuck Paradox, fuck Stardock. Both are known to cheat people with seemingly "complete" bundles that are many things but definitely not complete.

Besides, what about patching Tyranny DLC into a playable state, Paradox? Well? Bastard's Wound still has game-breaking bugs last I read but you fuckers are too busy milking the living shit out of your custo... errr... cows, right? Assholes...

News Comments > Cyberpunk 2077 Punks Epic Exclusivity
2. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Punks Epic Exclusivity Feb 10, 2019, 13:21 CJ_Parker

Fion wrote on Feb 10, 2019, 13:03:
CD Project Red

* CD Projekt, dude. Literally first sentence of the newsbit and you still spell it wrong. Now go wash your sticky fingers and lurn 2 sp3LL!

News Comments > Rumor: Activision Plans Restructuring and Layoffs
9. Re: Rumor: Activision Plans Restructuring and Layoffs Feb 9, 2019, 16:12 CJ_Parker

What could it be? Very strange and mysterious indeed! It certainly can't have anything to do with crapping out one soulless casual monetization-focused grindfest multiplayer tard circus after another, right? Nah. That can't be it. It must be someone or something else's fault...  

4868 Comments. 244 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo