Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

User information for Duffy

Real Name Duffy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname CJ_Parker
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2006, 23:49
Total Comments 4990 (Master)
User ID 24408

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Get Transistor Free on the Epic Games Store
29. Re: Get Transistor Free on the Epic Games Store Apr 19, 2019, 09:30 CJ_Parker

The number of paid Steam shills is certainly much higher. There are a lot of people spreading FUD about Epic like the bullshit claims about spyware, claims of denied refunds, claims of hacks, claims of poor service blahblahbleh... it's all bullshit and none of it has been proven.

e.g. the spyware claims: The Epic client (after asking for consent!) is accessing a harmless unprotected Steam file for easier friends list imports. Wow. They are really spying hard, man!

People like to make up shit just to give Epic a bad reputation. Just like they claim Denuvo kills SSDs which was a lie and merely a poor attempt to get rid of Denuvo.

Well, better luck next time, chaps. Denuvo is still around, still going strong and still doing its job of protecting games during the critical launch window with a 99% reliability. You can still count the number of games that were cracked in the first days after launch on one hand.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Get Transistor Free on the Epic Games Store
18. Re: Get Transistor Free on the Epic Games Store Apr 19, 2019, 05:59 CJ_Parker

MeanJim wrote on Apr 18, 2019, 22:34:
Riahderymnmaddog wrote on Apr 18, 2019, 18:58:
Ohh great now EPIC store isn't happy just bribing the developers, they are trying to bribe the customer too?

Ok, I'm no fan of the EGS, but how is this different than when Steam and GOG gives away games?

Your premise is wrong already.

Neither EGS nor Steam nor GOG is really giving away free games.

The publishers are giving away free games. They are giving away free games either completely on their own terms (e.g. giving away the base game hoping to promote DLC sales or to promote the sale of a new title in the same franchise) or they might get incentivized by the game store to run a giveaway.

In case of the EGS giveaways it is the latter. The publishers get monies from Epic so Epic can promote their store with these freebies.

I'm very sure that Steam is not doing anything of this sort. When a game is given away on Steam it is the publisher giving away the game for some reason. In most cases, as stated above, to promote a new franchise title or in expectation to make money from DLC sales.

As for GOG, I could imagine that CD Projekt incentivizes some of the freebies to promote their store. They are mostly giving away ancient games anyway so the incentive costs are probably rather low.

News Comments > Get Assassin's Creed Unity for Free
43. Re: Get Assassin's Creed Unity for Free Apr 18, 2019, 12:25 CJ_Parker

Beamer wrote on Apr 18, 2019, 11:58:
I'd really hope that the "leader of the free world" has more sense than the overwhelming majority of people, and is smart enough to understand that a metric ton of water weighs a metric ton.

Do we really assume that the Chief Monkey has any idea what a metric ton is or how to convert from imperial to metric?

That said, it is silly how the media blew this out of proportion again. Trump literally said "Perhaps flying water tankers could be used to put it out.".

People are acting like he demanded they water-bomb the living shit out of the place.
Well, he didn't. Last time I checked "perhaps" meant about the same as "maybe" so it was only a very tentative idea of a layman. He also didn't say load up the water-bomber to the brim or drop the whole load in one go. Maybe he was under the assumption that any extinguishing agent could be dropped in safe quantities in several passes.

News Comments > Anno 1800 Released
15. Re: Anno 1800 Released Apr 17, 2019, 11:24 CJ_Parker

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 16, 2019, 21:28:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Apr 16, 2019, 20:34:
He's talking about Monopoly money aka the Canadian Dollar.
Ouch, they're getting boned sans lube. https://steamdb.info/app/916440/

Steam reviews (or user reviews in general for this game) can't be taken seriously. On top of the usual anti-uPlay and anti-Denuvo votes you now also have a gazillion anti-Epic crybabies downvoting the game. Buncha whiny cunts.

News Comments > Free-to-Play Forza Street Peels Out
2. Re: Free-to-Play Forza Street Peels Out Apr 15, 2019, 20:37 CJ_Parker

How about no?  

News Comments > Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order Press Release
5. Re: Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order Press Release Apr 14, 2019, 19:43 CJ_Parker

“When Respawn approached us with the idea for this game, we were immediately supportive. A single player, story-driven title in the Star Wars universe was exactly what we were looking for, and we know the fans have been eager for one, as well,”

LOLZEN

And here is how it really went:

Respawn: Here is an idea for a single player, story-driven title in the Star Wars universe. Whatcha think?

EA: No multiplayer?

Respawn: Nope.

EA: Honest question... are you guys fucking retarded???

Respawn: Well, yes... errr... no, but it will be ready right before the Episode IX launch so how is that? If we added multiplayer it'd be mid 2020 at the earliest.

EA: *deep sigh* OK, guys. The only reason we are not cancelling this abysmal shit idea of yours is that Disney ordered an Episode IX game so get to it but approach us with a no multiplayer idea ONE more time and we will shut you the fuck down, capisce?!

Respawn: Sir, yes, Sir! We shall double our efforts, Sir!

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Onslaught Announced
6. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Onslaught Announced Apr 14, 2019, 19:20 CJ_Parker

Turd Ferguson wrote on Apr 14, 2019, 18:47:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfjWANrhl5g

Best 24min ever but... is it worth playing?

I stopped playing SWTOR after the first episode of that Knights of the Eternal Throne crap. That shit definitely was not worth playing. It was boring as fuck with a weird story, weird emo characters like that Vaylin chick and the gameplay was intentionally super-simple, super-easy (even easier and more simple than the class story content) so even total n00bs could finish it.

The game is F2P tho so anyone can check it out for themselves (if you can bear the F2P restrictions).
Some of the class stories are actually pretty good for a MMO. The expansions (Rise of the Hutt Cartel and Revan) up to that Knights of the Eternal Throne stuff are mostly OK, too. It's certainly sorta fun exploring all the planets and stuff like that at first.

As most MMOs the real game a.k.a gear grind starts once you are max level. I got tired of that shit very quickly since you will end up running the same ol' flashpoints (dungeons) or operations over and over and over...
Being in a guild is almost a must at that point or it won't be very enjoyable.

Task wrote on Apr 14, 2019, 19:15:
I'm holding up hope that since they've continued to work on that maybe Disney and EA will greenlight a single player only Kotor 3.

Seems very doubtful. The Old Republic setting was always a crutch to work around any continuity issues with regard to movie content. Now that GL is out of the picture I doubt that anyone at Lucas/Disney is really into expanding that setting.

In fact, I hope so. Fuck the Old Republic. It's boring. Thousands of years before the movies and it's always the same old crap... the Jedi are on the verge of extinction... oh no, wait... now the Sith are on the verge of extinction... and now it's the Jedi again... rinse, repeat ad nauseam.

I'd rather see more games set in the Episode III - Episode IX timeframe which cross paths with events we have seen in the movies or that run tangentially along them in an intelligent manner.

Like, let's see a Wedge Antilles X-Wing game for starters!

This comment was edited on Apr 14, 2019, 19:30.

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
2. Re: Sunday Consolidation Apr 14, 2019, 18:08 CJ_Parker

This game and Micro$oft Xbox. A match made in garbage heaven! Go, go, go EA!  

News Comments > Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order in November
27. Re: Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order in November Apr 14, 2019, 03:41 CJ_Parker

Overon wrote on Apr 14, 2019, 03:04:
An EA game without microtransactions? I don't believe it.

Don't worry. To make up for it they have probably chopped the story into a piecemeal like a sushi master and you will only get the real ending (DAI Trespasser DLC anyone?) if you buy the DLC.

News Comments > Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order in November
23. Re: Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order in November Apr 13, 2019, 21:45 CJ_Parker

aka_STEVE wrote on Apr 13, 2019, 18:51:
the single player parts of Battlefront 2 story was fairly decent...

^ ROFLMAO

Man, even AngryJoe who has some of the lowest standards on the planet mocked the living shit out of the retarded four hour BF2 single player campaign. Here's a quick reminder.

I have zero faith in EA or Disney or Respwan to deliver a decent game. Titanfall 2 free trial was one of the fastest uninstalls ever on my PC. What a piece of shit game with its stupid jump & run wallrunning mechanic.

Jedi Fallen Order is a game to promote Episode IX. You can count the number of decent Star Wars movies after Episode VI on ZERO fingers just like you can count the number of decent Star Wars games that "coincided" with movie launches on exactly ZERO fingers.

Oh, and no MTX? Great. Instead it will probably get a lame premium currency like BF5 right after it has launched.

I mean, the premise sounds pretty cool on paper and I believe that the still mostly unexplored era between III and IV is definitely the best possible setting but the TFU games have proven that there is a huge divergence between theory and practice when it comes to making a decent post ep III game.

News Comments > Warhammer: Chaosbane Trailer
5. Re: Warhammer: Chaosbane Trailer Apr 13, 2019, 14:01 CJ_Parker

HorrorScope wrote on Apr 13, 2019, 10:51:
I'm not sure this game will do that, but I agree that slant is needed. There has to be something wanted in-between BG/PoeT vs Diablo blender types. I don't think I've ever played a well done one in that range.

That's because it would be very hard to get right. You can't really combine the frantic hack'n'slash of Diablo with a more methodical, tactical approach. That just wouldn't feel right.
It would feel like the game was artificially slowed down just to stretch game time. It would most likely end up being an annoyance rather than fun.

Something would have to go for a more tactical experience. You'd obviously have to reduce the insane number of critters and you'd probably have to slow down movement and combat animations a decent amount. But as soon as you do that you are already deviating quite a lot from the Diablo formula. No can do.

I think it would be more interesting if devs of H&S ARPGs would focus on a more reactive game world (physics), better AI etc. because that would inherently lead to a more tactical experience without enforcing it directly.

Diablo 3 was still pathetic in that regard. AI was non-existent and dropping chandeliers or collapsing weak walls on the baddies was by far not enough in terms of environmental interaction.
I'd also like to see much more open levels or a HUGE open world with dynamic content (rare spawns/rare events etc.) to keep things interesting rather than a boring, mindless monkey clickfest like D3.

News Comments > Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice a Million Times
5. Re: Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice a Million Times Apr 11, 2019, 16:34 CJ_Parker

Sad to see these fuckerinos getting rewarded for their $40 Dark Souls remaster stunts. And for a lame as fuck conslow game to add insult to injury.  

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers Support Anno 1800 Beta and DXR Ray Tracing
10. Re: New GeForce Drivers Support Anno 1800 Beta and DXR Ray Tracing Apr 11, 2019, 15:19 CJ_Parker

Riahderymnmaddog wrote on Apr 11, 2019, 13:59:
So Nvidia is supporting DXR over RTX now. Probably because RTX suckes and you can run DXR on any DX12 GPU. Even AMD can get 30FPS with raytracing on DXR. Hope you all enjoyed wasting your money on them fancy RTX cards that offered nothing but a higher cost.

Um, nVidia co-developed DXR with Microsoft so there is no need to act like nVidia are anti-DXR or something. That'd be complete bullshit. They helped make the fucking thing a part of DX12 in the first place.

It's also not like the two are totally mutually exclusive.
A game could also use RTX for reflections and DXR for ray-traced shadows/illumination for example. A RTX implementation will usually be faster than DXR because of the specialized hardware cores in RTX cards.

News Comments > Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order Reveal This Weekend
13. Re: Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order Reveal This Weekend Apr 10, 2019, 11:13 CJ_Parker

Quinn wrote on Apr 10, 2019, 04:49:
My gut feeling says this reveal will knock our socks off.

My gut feeling says that while the reveal will in fact knock many a sock off with its flashy trailer bullshit, the actual game will suck major donkey schlong as usual for EA.

It won't matter tho cuz the sheeple will preorder the game just based on the flashy trailers. EA will get their $$$ regardless of quality and they will never change.

News Comments > Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order Reveal This Weekend
3. Re: Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order Reveal This Weekend Apr 9, 2019, 21:07 CJ_Parker

apeX wit litesab0rz

Flush

News Comments > Op Ed
13. Re: Op Ed Apr 9, 2019, 15:14 CJ_Parker

The anger at the EGS is completely misdirected. At the end of the day it is always the publisher who decides where/when/how a game gets published. THEY are the ones accepting and signing the exclusivity contracts. EGS is only making the publishers an offer. An offer they could very well refuse. But they don't refuse. They sign the deals.

All of the anger should therefore be directed towards the publishers of the games in question but for most simpletons it is probably easier to just hate on Epic because if they were consequential then they would have to boycott all of those publishers and their yummy yummy games that they absolutely MUST have, of course (gaming addiction is a very real problem for most EGS haters).

This reminds me a bit of the 1990s when the blame for selling out was always 100% directed at the evuuuuuhhhhlll publishers like EA while Garriott, Roberts, Molyneux etc. got a free pass for being sellouts.

The problem here lies with greedy publishers accepting the bribes and not with the EGS offering them. Epic can offer what they want all day. If no one would be signing their crap then there would be no exclusivity. Simple cause and effect. The greedy publishers are the culprits.

News Comments > Ex-Valve Dev on Epic Games Store
70. Re: Ex-Valve Dev on Epic Games Store Apr 8, 2019, 23:30 CJ_Parker

Jerykk wrote on Apr 8, 2019, 22:51:
I'm pretty sure Steam is acting in the best interests of consumers. Valve lets devs and pubs generate as many Steam keys as they want, completely free of charge, and Valve takes a 0% cut from any revenue generated by those keys.

More factually incorrect drivel from you just like in the other thread.
Devs/publishers definitely can NOT generate "as many keys as they want". Requests for large volumes of keys will be denied if the dev/publisher does not offer their Steam customers a good value.

The keys are also not meant to be sold cheaper in order to increase competition or lower prices. Valve explicitly says that "Steam keys cannot be sold on other sites unless the product is also available for purchase on Steam at no higher a price than is offered on any other service or website.".

Straight from the corresponding Steam page...

While there is no fee to generate keys on Steam, we ask that partners use the service judiciously.

[...]

Steam keys shouldn't be sold in bulk. For example, you should not sell your game on sites that offer customers the option to purchase large numbers of copies of your game for a lower price. You should also not include your game in bundles on sites that allow customers to purchase multiple copies of the bundle for a lower price.

[...]

We reserve the right to deny requests for keys or revoke key requesting privileges for partners that are abusing them or disadvantaging Steam customers.

If we detect that you have requested an extreme number of keys and you aren't offering Steam customers a good value, we may deny your request.

We reserve the right to remove key requesting privileges from any partner whose sole business is selling Steam keys and not providing value or a fair deal to Steam customers.

NOTE: Requests for large amounts of keys will be manually reviewed by Valve before processing.

[...]

Please note that Steam keys cannot be sold on other sites unless the product is also available for purchase on Steam at no higher a price than is offered on any other service or website.

[...]

Q: Why was my key request denied?
A: Your request may have been denied due to the amount of keys requested. If we detect that you have requested an extreme number of keys and you aren't offering Steam customers a good value, we may deny your request.

Q: How many keys can I request?
A: You can request as many keys as you need, but your request will be reviewed on a case by case basis by Valve staff to make sure Steam customers are being treated fairly and keys are not being abused.

Another difference is that Sony, MS and Nintendo all charge a subscription fee if you want to get basic functionality like multiplayer support. Hell, Sony even charges for cloud saves. Steam offers far more functionality at zero cost to customers.

It's hardly zero cost. You are paying with your data. Every mouse click, every move of the mouse and every keyboard stroke is monitored by Steam. They monitor everything regarding your gaming and shopping habits. Every tiny little detail.

First-party exclusives are common. Timed third-party exclusives are not and are generally frowned upon. See Rise of the Tomb Raider and the shitstorm that ensued from their one-year Xbox exclusivity.

RotTR was only a two months exclusive on Xbone when compared to PC, not one year. The one year was only wrt the PS4.
Microsoft has done many more shittier timed exclusives when the first Xbox came out. It was rather common for games to be 12 to 18 months exclusive on the Xbox then. It was also really lame of them to discontinue series like Halo or GoW on the PC after throwing the first game on PC as pure Xbox bait.

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
2. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Apr 8, 2019, 23:02 CJ_Parker

First and most importantly: Lie as much as possible. Learn lying your ass off. Learn to lie w/o even a hint of a blush or a smirk or a blink. Learn to lie like a pro. Learn to lie like Chris Roberts. That's the ticket.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
8. Re: PayPal's new refund policy has sellers up in arms Apr 8, 2019, 15:09 CJ_Parker

MeanJim wrote on Apr 8, 2019, 11:43:
Is there even any alternative to PayPal?

Yeah, ApplePay.

I don't sell much on eBay (only my old hardware) and I always exclude refunds and returns due to it being a private (rather than a B2B) transaction which is permissible under EU law. As a private individual you are not obliged to offer refunds or returns to your buyers.
IOW, I could hardly give less of a fuck about that policy change.

In fact, as a buyer I love the convenience of PayPal for all sorts of domestic and international purchases.
I also love PayPal cuz I bought a couple hundred eBay stocks right before the spinoff. The PayPal stock is sitting at +162.61% over the acquisition price now. Me likes the PayPal. Me can haz buy lotsa new gamez cuz of PayPal!

News Comments > Ex-Valve Dev on Epic Games Store
36. removed Apr 8, 2019, 14:49 CJ_Parker

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Apr 8, 2019, 14:54.

4990 Comments. 250 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo