Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Duffy

Real Name Duffy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname CJ_Parker
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2006, 23:49
Total Comments 5495 (Guru)
User ID 24408

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Full Steam Ahead for Red Dead Redemption 2

15. Re: Full Steam Ahead for Red Dead Redemption 2 Dec 6, 2019, 13:18 CJ_Parker

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 6, 2019, 10:45:
I'm not sure about this game playing it, so many things are so slow, they have time-to hold key presses where they don't need them, starting to really dislike this in gaming when used for no good reason. Movement slow and the UI/Key mappings are ehh at best. The cinematic part is good, but I still play games for gameplay, not sure this will scratch it, at the Overlook Camp.

But... but... but... it's fucking EPIC!!!!111

And you will have 200+ hours on the clock when finishing the game so what's not to like here???

Get with the times and embrace the GaaS era!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Diablo IV Item Changes

9. Re: Diablo IV Item Changes Dec 5, 2019, 16:28 CJ_Parker

Looking at how super-samey the Diablo games always are Blizztard don't even begin to have an excuse why this shit should be taking longer to develop than a year max. What they have shown so far looks like a Diablo 3 add-on at best. They should long be done already.
The minor changes to the art style and the constant tweaking of the ph4t lewt system do not justify the years it is taking them. Fucking slow pokes.

If I were Actiblizz I'd crack that whip A LOT harder and fire the slow poke slackers left, right and center.
I'd give them all the time in the world if they were creating something truly special every game but they are just shitting out the same old clickfest crap again and again and again so there is absolutely no excuse for this shitshow of epic slaXX0ration. Fuckin' A man...

News Comments > Op Ed

4. Re: Op Ed Dec 5, 2019, 16:14 CJ_Parker

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 5, 2019, 13:40:
I am gonna be the cynic and say, if they don't add new content it means the sales were bad

I am gonna be the realist by pointing at the facts which are that Borderlands 3 sold in five million copies in the first five days, making BL3 the fastest selling title in 2K history and the highest selling title for the label on PC. Retail sell-through was 50% higher in the first five days compared to BL2.
BL3 also generated 14 million hours of view time on Twitch in the first week which amounts to more than 50% of the view time that BL2 aggregated over its seven year lifetime.

So, all in all pretty unfortunate news for the pitiful little band of Epic haters out there since BL3 is actually a smashing success for 2K. Keep dreaming though. Maybe one day a game will actually flop on EGS. Until then I'd suggest hitting up one of those real doll stores on the Internet and have them model a Gabe doll for you so you can f... I mean... hug and cuddle it every night. It might make this cruel reality where EGS is successful a little more bearable. Give it a try!

News Comments > MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Launch Trailer

12. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Launch Trailer Dec 5, 2019, 15:44 CJ_Parker

Looking good. I'll grab an Epic copy at launch just to piss off the Steam elitists and then I'll buy the Steam GOTY in a couple of years when I actually want to play it. Bring this shit on!  

News Comments > Riot Settles Gender Discrimination Suit

28. Re: Riot Settles Gender Discrimination Suit Dec 3, 2019, 09:07 CJ_Parker

Kxmode wrote on Dec 3, 2019, 03:27:
I can see this thread is evidence that men have a long way to go.

Yes, we do have long schlongs.

Re the news: pfffttt... settling the suit... how pathetic... buncha fuckin' pussies!

Riot, baby! Anarchy! Fuck the law! Come dafuq on!

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Legacy Reveal Next Week?

10. Re: Batman: Arkham Legacy Reveal Next Week? Dec 2, 2019, 14:39 CJ_Parker

Beamer wrote on Dec 2, 2019, 13:55:
I'm not "obsessing" over who made it, I just find the developer a better indicator of whether something is worth my time than the subject matter. There have been a few billion Batman games, nearly all bad. Rocksteady made them good. I don't have much time, and don't care to put time into something somewhat half-assed. More than that, the Batman games are time sucks, and I haven't been in the mood for one in a long while. I didn't play Arkham Knight until 2019.

They aren't such big "time sucks". I played the GOTY of all Arkham games so my times include time spent finishing the (excellent) story DLCs.
I spent 22 hours with Asylum, 28 hours with City, 39 hours with Origins and 44 hours with Knight.
In Knight I finished all of the Riddler puzzles/trials and side missions. In the other games I did "most" of the side stuff. If I could not figure out a puzzle then I did not look it up online in most cases but just shrugged it off and moved on.
Origins is definitely not "half-assed". It's right up there with the rest of the games.

You may find it better, but AO is ranked lower by literally every metric. Metacritic? Check. User scores? Check.

Might have had to do with the quality at release (buggy?)? I wouldn't know because, as I said, I only played the fully patched, stable, polished GOTY versions and Origins certainly was not worse than Asylum or City.
Checking current Steam reviews quite a few are downvoting the game because of bugginess. I guess I got lucky. It was not buggy for me.

It might also be confirmation bias. You are by far not the only one who goes "OMG it's not made by the Rocksteady Gods so it must suck".

However, 92% of the Steam reviews in the last 30 days are positive and 84% all-time so all-time it is actually better than Knight which "only" has 80% all-time positive reviews due to its shitty launch.

And, honestly CJ, it's great that you're vouching for something, but if you want your opinion to be trusted over the other voices here, you should consider not shitting on literally every game out there.

But... but... but... that would be boring?

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Legacy Reveal Next Week?

7. Re: Batman: Arkham Legacy Reveal Next Week? Dec 2, 2019, 13:38 CJ_Parker

El Pit wrote on Dec 2, 2019, 12:02:
I am sooooo ready to save Arkham... AGAIN.

Same here... as soon as they release the GOTY of the next Arkham game. Hopefully they won't have too many DLCs and it will be as relatively soon-ish after release as it was with the awesome Arkham Knight.

Beamer wrote on Dec 2, 2019, 13:04:
Is this rumored to be Rocksteady? If so, I'm in. If not, maybe. I still haven't played Arkham Origins.

Arkham Origins is awesome and it is silly to obsess over who made it. I played the Arkhams back to back and did not really know or care who made them. Origins was better than Asylum and about on par or slightly better than City. Knight is the bestest.

This series has a straight 'crescendo' progression from Asylum to Knight. Every game adds something or does things slightly different making it better and better with each iteration. And they are starting the series on a high note with Asylum. It may be relatively the "weakest" game but it is still really good in its own right.

News Comments > Steam Top 10

12. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 1, 2019, 20:52 CJ_Parker

Don't fret. I'm sure they are working on a Steam controller 2.0 that will only cost $499 plus tax and shipping. You can buy two then to be on the safe side.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $250M

10. Re: Star Citizen Passes $250M Dec 1, 2019, 14:24 CJ_Parker

Cutter wrote on Dec 1, 2019, 13:37:
Is that all crowdfunding? I thought there had been a ton of private corporate investment? Oh well, at least this will be a new one in the books for the mother of all fuckups.

They raised $46 million from investors late last year just before xmas and as far as I am aware they did not add it to the crowdfunding counter. The math wouldn't add up anyway. They crossed $200 million in November last year but have consistently raised between $1.7 million (summer slump 2019) and over $9 million(last month) per month ever since. They would be way past $250 million if the $46 million would have been added to the counter last December or in January.

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $250M

6. Re: Star Citizen Passes $250M Dec 1, 2019, 14:03 CJ_Parker

I can not possibly thank Chris and the whole crew at CIG enough for the awesome, awesome game they have produced from those $250 million. What they have released so far, albeit slightly incomplete, dwarfs every single game in existence. The complete game will be a monument that will not be touched by a single other production for centuries, maybe even millennia.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart, Chris! You are making all of my childhood dreams come true. There are no words to describe my infinite gratitude.

News Comments > Op Ed

24. Re: Op Ed Nov 30, 2019, 17:48 CJ_Parker

Mkay, xmas monies from my employer was decent so I pulled the Black Friday Deal trigger on a Rift S today for 399. I'm looking forward to trying it with Elite and DCS and maybe NMS, P3D, X-Plane 11, IL-2 and so on.

As I said, zero fucks given about HL:A. That game can GTFODIAFKTHXBAILOLGUDRIDDANCE.
Roomscale can generally go fuck itself, too. I'm only interested in seated sim VR.

News Comments > Op Ed

11. Re: Op Ed Nov 29, 2019, 19:54 CJ_Parker

chickenboo wrote on Nov 29, 2019, 19:28:
Again, the Index is the most advanced expensive kit on the market. You don't have to buy that unit. The game page lists other devices as compatible, and I trust that Valve means they will run the game natively. Valve has always maintained they're system agnostic. They're fine with different companies having their own curated store fronts as long as the games aren't locked to the specific units. That continues to not be the case here.

Seems very doubtful to me. You know whose games are still locked to a specific platform today? Valve's. They have never published a single game outside of Steam. They are the granddaddies and grandmasters of exclusivity. Even frickin' Blizztard -who they shared this exclusivity mania with- has softened up recently by bringing the original Diablo to GOG. Not so Valve. For Valve games to this day it's either Steam or GTFO.

I'm sure that Alyx will "run" on the Rift. But will it be enjoyable? Highly doubtful. Valve will make sure that Index vs. other VR hardware is going to be the equivalent of a native console title (Index) vs. a poor port (other VR hardware).

You know, I'm not against VR. I have thought about getting a Rift S for a while now which seems to be only marginally "worse" than the Index or about the same level (both kits have their pros and cons but the Index has the GreedyGabe special price). I'd get it for Elite Dangerous and DCS, not Alyx though.
I'm most definitely not going to support Valve in their VR efforts. Reason no. 1 being the outrageous price of the Index (and the stupid requirement for the lighthouses like I really need movement tracking Valve spyware in my home) and reason no. 2 being we never got episode 3. Alyx is insult to injury on whole new levels. Just nope.

News Comments > Google Starts New Stadia Studio with Assassin's Creed Veterans

6. Re: Google Starts New Stadia Studio with Assassin's Creed Veterans Nov 29, 2019, 18:56 CJ_Parker

Bill Borre wrote on Nov 29, 2019, 18:52:
You guys are all a bunch of Negative Nancys. They could throw alot of computing power at development for this platform. I, for one, will be interested to see what they come up with.

No worries, dude. It's cool to be interested in garbage. Whole industries revolve around garbage. It's fine.

News Comments > Red Dead Redemption PC Care Package Released; Another Coming Next Month

4. Re: Red Dead Redemption PC Care Package Released; Another Coming Next Month Nov 29, 2019, 18:41 CJ_Parker

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 29, 2019, 18:15:
Oh wait, the answer is no. Because rockstar is a indy developer apparently, that can't afford to untie game logic from the fucking framerate within a 2 weeks.. blegh

Yep. There was also WAY too little time between the conslow release and the PC release for such a small team to properly test the PC port. You can not blame them really. It is all the fault of the evil 2K overlords. Poor Rockstar. They would be development gods if only the world would let them be!

News Comments > Op Ed

8. Re: Op Ed Nov 29, 2019, 18:23 CJ_Parker

chickenboo wrote on Nov 29, 2019, 16:45:
Again, the Index is the top of the line VR model. You don't need that to play it. Your Rift S or Rift or Samsung Odyssey could play the game, and those are like $400 or something.

Keep dreaming. Valve will make sure the game is so optimized for the Index that playing it on any other kit is gonna be pure torture.

I'm surprised by you guys poo-pooing this new technology. Wasn't 3D acceleration amazing when it came out?

Oh, look. That stupid argument again... Rolleyes

Call me an old school curmudgeon but, nope, I did not tape my Diamond Monster Voodoo to my head to look cool or be able to play cool games back in the day. I just plugged it into my PC and played 3D games.

Dude, seriously, the comparison is dumb, dumb, dumb. VR headsets are a very uncomfy gaming WEARABLE device. This does not compare in the slightest to a piece of hardware you just plug into your PC.

And that's why VR will never become "standard" anytime soon... at least until the day we get real VR glasses, i.e. VR devices that are just as comfy to wear as a pair of slightly enlarged shades.

Until then it will remain niche. The vast majority of gamers does not like to be completely shut off from the rest of the world. Dizziness and nausea remain real problems for many people. Even people who don't suffer from outright puke-itis fatigue much faster than when playing on a screen. Gaming sessions lasting hours at a time aren't really a thing in VR land at all.

Finally, pricing: I just looked up the Monster 3D in my country (Germany). It was around DM 370 at release (DM = Deutsche Mark) which if the Euro had already existed would have been 189. The Valve Index Kit is 1079. So lol even harder @ comparing the "3D revolution" to VR.

Valve can go fuck themselves and their shabby attempt to clear their Index stock by turning their half-assed VR experiments into a HL game in order to cut their losses.Typical GreedyGabe though. Instead of dropping the price of the Index he is too conceited to admit it was a dumb idea and so he now tries to bait gamers into buying a kit via a Half-Life game (one no one asked for to boot).

News Comments > GOG.com Black Friday Sale

6. Re: GOG.com Black Friday Sale Nov 28, 2019, 19:55 CJ_Parker

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 28, 2019, 19:45:
Thanks for providing the same link ten times, wouldn't have worked if you had only provided nine.

inorite ... that's why it's exactly ten... irsmartiecookie!!

News Comments > GOG.com Black Friday Sale

4. Re: GOG.com Black Friday Sale Nov 28, 2019, 19:34 CJ_Parker

This sucks ass. Why buy shit on GOG when you can get the same games in MUCH better quality from Steam?

Steam sale Steam sale Steam sale Steam sale Steam sale Steam sale Steam sale Steam sale Steam sale Steam sale

News Comments > Red Dead Redemption 2 Gallops onto Steam Next Week

20. Re: Blacklist? Nov 27, 2019, 19:22 CJ_Parker

Staunch wrote on Nov 27, 2019, 15:44:
Is it an exclusive if it's just not available on Steam?

Not making a game available on Steam is the equivalent of castration with a hot iron rod for the Steam cuitists. It's a deep, personal insult. An unforgivable sin. The epitome of a capital crime. Punishable by death and death alone.

News Comments > Red Dead Redemption 2 Gallops onto Steam Next Week

10. Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Gallops onto Steam Next Week Nov 27, 2019, 15:00 CJ_Parker

Cutter wrote on Nov 27, 2019, 14:06:
It's on sale on the Humble Store atm.

Edit: On sale on GMG too. Damn, shoulda waited a couple of weeks and saved myself 20 clams.

It's on sale on the EGS, too, and the Humble key is EGS anyway so might as well buy straight from EGS. Both stores, EGS and Humble, sell it for 47.99 here in EU.

GMG is a Cockstar key and slightly cheaper at 44.15 plus you get five free games from Intel. I actually bought Destiny 2 Shadowkeep from GMG the other day at 17.84 which also comes with the Intel promo.
Tbh, the Intel stuff is pretty mediocre. Not sure if it is a random selection but my selection included Warhammer Vermintide, Gas Guzzlers, Guns of Icarus, some in-game crap for TERA and Neverwinter (both are F2P MMOs), Blade & Soul, Rockband VR, Last Tide, Sprint Vector, Switchblade and some other minor crap.
You get to pick five games out of that selection and you can get up to two codes from GMG for a total of 10 free games though I'm not sure if it is the same selection or if it gets expanded when you add the second code.

The cheapest option (Cockstar key) is CDKeys.com. They sell some 3rd world keys for just over 40 (if you pay via PayPal you get 2% discount).

BTW, it should be obvious why RDR2 is not up for preorder on Steam yet. Cockstar is gonna wait for the Holiday Sale to end before adding the order button so they can sell it for 60 on Steam from 12/5 until the xmas sale. Xmas it will probably go back on sale for the same 47.99 or thereabouts but between 5/12 and the xmas sale they are gonna fleece the impatient instant gratification kiddies.

News Comments > Out of the Blue

15. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 27, 2019, 12:57 CJ_Parker

Simon Says wrote on Nov 26, 2019, 23:14:
RedEye9 wrote on Nov 26, 2019, 16:55:
SWEET!
I know i've been threatening to storm the castle with a new build, and your cpu/mb combo is the way I'd go. Currently my trigger finger is setting on this ASRock Radeon RX 5700 XT $349 mail in rebate as it simmers in the newegg shopping cart. https://www.newegg.com/asrock-radeon-rx-5700-xt-rx-5700-xt-challenger-d-8g-oc/p/N82E16814930020

Probably the worst time in the last 20 years of history of PC gaming to upgrade a GPU. Your best bet is to wait to late 2020 when Intel has released, Ampere and Navi2 is out as well as the consoles.

I don't think it is worth waiting for Intel. They will most likely focus on datacenter at the high end and whatever trickles down to the desktop will merely be entry/office or at the very most mainstream stuff (like RTX 2060 max) at first. I would not expect Intel to be able to really compete at the higher end, i.e. RTX 2070 and up, anytime soon.

They will need time to gather experience and to get decent yields as well as develop proper drivers for laptop/desktop solutions plus build a support network for developers.
The dev support stuff should not be underestimated. It is why nVidia is still leading the pack unchallenged even though AMD should theoretically have an advantage because their tech is in the conslows. nVidia, by all accounts, has much better developer support on the PC side of things, more manpower, better tools, easier implementation, better documentation etc. etc.

Intel will not be able to release a card and enter the high end gaming market just like that. It will take quite some time before they are really competitive. Their stuff will be better than integrated graphics for sure but other than that I would not expect any miracles. At first.

Well, then, since the Redeye dude hates nVidia's guts, there is only AMD left. In that case I would wait at least until CES in the first days of January though (starting 1/7/2020). AMD is expected to run a repeat of last year where they laid out their roadmap for the entire year. We will most likely get an idea about the rough release timeframe of Big Navi as well as Zen 3.
Big Navi might be arriving relatively early in the year since there have been substantial rumors that nVidia has been prepping a RTX 2080Ti Super to maintain the performance crown until Ampere is ready to ship.

5495 Comments. 275 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >