Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

User information for Duffy

Real Name Duffy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname CJ_Parker
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2006, 23:49
Total Comments 5256 (Guru)
User ID 24408

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > CD Projekt RED Down on Exclusives
22. Re: CD Projekt RED Down on Exclusives Aug 25, 2019, 08:34 CJ_Parker

Ozmodan wrote on Aug 24, 2019, 23:37:
As to Steam, yeah it is the big gorilla, but better to have a good source of games than cluttering up your PC with a bunch of storefronts, just my opinion of course.

As to GOG, I buy games from then all the time.

So what exactly is better about "cluttering up" your PC with a bunch of installers (assuming you don't use Galaxy since it is storefront clutter) than a bunch of storefronts?

Come on, people. At least be consequential and really go all out Steam-exclusive fanboi instead of this half-assed shit!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition - Tyrants of the Moonsea
9. Re: Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition - Tyrants of the Moonsea Aug 24, 2019, 13:50 CJ_Parker

El Pit wrote on Aug 24, 2019, 12:17:
I enjoyed both NWN 1 and 2 and loved especially the final add-on to NWN 1 - it was amazing! And for its time, it actually looked GOOD! Yes, it did. The Aurora engine looked better than e.g. Diablo 2 (released only 2 years before NWN 1) and other isometric games of this time. Just remember - games like the FPS RPG Deus Ex and isometric RPG Divine Divinity were released back in 2002 and did not look better than NWN 1 did back then.

Deus Ex was released in the year of the lord Y2K, not 2002. And Divine Divinity definitely looked a lot better with much more detail and variety all over the place. No contest.

7. Re: Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition - Tyrants of the Moonsea Aug 24, 2019, 10:35 CJ_Parker

Nah. It looked like crap. The year was 2002 and games like Morrowind or even Dungeon Siege which came out a few weeks/months prior to NWN put that game to shame. Same with Divine Divinity or Gothic 2 which came out a few weeks/months after NWN though.

As I said, it just lacked any kind of atmosphere or charm and the black frames everywhere were horrible. I mean just look at shit like this. Ugh.

You can effectively see the tileset structure, the wireframe and the modularity right through everything. It looks like garbage... artificial, devoid of (attention to) detail, sterile, zero TLC with regard to the graphics, art design or art direction.
Even the UI is totally lacking any of the ornamental stuff that you'd expect from an "epic" fantasy RPG. It's blander than bland since it's just a blocky box drawn on the screen. Zero love again, zero attention to detail.

The relatively recent Underworld Ascendant really reminds me a lot of the total no-love when it comes to graphics/art/world design in the vein of NWN.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
2. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 24, 2019, 04:42 CJ_Parker

jdreyer wrote on Aug 24, 2019, 02:55:
... and we all know how that turned out.

Yes. Bull-fucking-shit.

5. Re: Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition - Tyrants of the Moonsea Aug 24, 2019, 04:38 CJ_Parker

GothicWizard wrote on Aug 23, 2019, 22:26:
How about do this to NWN2? Far better game mechanics and GFX. NWN1 looked out of date on release. Still makes my eyes bleed.

Yeah, it looks like total dog shit and what's worse it has zero atmosphere due to the underlying tileset structure. It looks artificial, blocky, sterile and completely unappealing like a 12 year old fiddled around with a very old version of RPG Maker. The OC was lame as fuck, too. It's honestly one of the worst RPGs ever.

Its only saving grace might have been the toolset and some of the persistent worlds but I'm not into mods or multiplayer so that was totally lost on me.

News Comments > Elite Dangerous Fleet Carrier Details and Trailer
6. Re: Elite Dangerous Fleet Carrier Details and Trailer Aug 23, 2019, 16:07 CJ_Parker

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 23, 2019, 09:48:
It still isn't clear (to me anyway) if you'll be able to use these effectively as flying garages for up to 16 of your ships, similar to the way it works in NMS. It makes some sense you would, but I haven't seen any indication it actually will work that way.

Edit: Thinking about it, I assume you will be able to do that. It would be more accurate to say the nature of how that interaction will work is a mystery...

I think this will depend a lot on the "unique resource" that you need to harvest for the 500ly jumps. If it is too easy then everyone and their dawg will get a fleet carrier to travel around the galaxy.
The credits for the initial purchase aren't much of a barrier due to the vast amounts you can farm from mining.

That is why Frontier will probably balance these carriers via the jump fuel. If it takes a single player longer to farm that fuel for a single 500ly jump than it would actually take to do the 7/8/9 jumps in an average exploration ship with a 60-ish ly jump range then group/fleet play is encouraged to keep the carrier in motion.

It is easy to predict that this exact jump fuel resource requirement will be the no. 1 whine topic on the forums for many months once the fleet carriers go live because many people will demand the fleet carriers to be solo player friendly.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 23, 2019, 03:33 CJ_Parker

It will still only be yet another CONSLOW and no match for the true power of the almighty Pee Cee.
I think Microsoft know this exactly, too, which is why they have named their new toy box after an illness.

News Comments > Red Wings: Aces of the Sky Announced
2. Re: Red Wings: Aces of the Sky Announced Aug 20, 2019, 14:39 CJ_Parker

The Red Baron games are flipping in their graves like burgers over a bonfire.  

News Comments > More Ray Tracing Plans Revealed
20. Re: More Ray Tracing Plans Revealed Aug 20, 2019, 06:13 CJ_Parker

jdreyer wrote on Aug 20, 2019, 03:39:
Slick wrote on Aug 19, 2019, 16:08:
We have to wait for games to be conceived from birth with ray-tracing in mind, not a gimmick added after the game has gone gold.

Next gen consoles will show is what Ray Tracing can really do, because those games are being built right now with hardware-accelerated ray-tracing in mind.

I don't think that's true at all. RTX works *with* the existing architecture, regardless of what it is. It's not like VR, where you have a completely new gameplay paradigm shift. RTX is just an improved rendering pipeline.

Yep and I don't really think we want to find out what a game would look like (especially on console hardware Wink ) with RT from "birth" the way Slick suggested.

We are still many years away from fully ray-traced games. It will be reflections, shadows and a few individual light sources for quite some time to come. That is the kind of stuff that can be inserted into any game's rendering pipeline via DX12-DXR/Vulkan or even via a ReShade post-processing mod as has been proven in the meantime.

However, one thing is true: When a game is now being developed from scratch with RT in mind then the devs might generally pay more attention to the lighting, the positioning of the light sources or where they put shiny, reflective surfaces or how they deal with water, puddles, wetness and all that stuff.

All of this might actually have an adverse effect on games that are "born" with RT in mind because developers might be forced to reduce such elements in order to get a game to run on conslows, e.g. scratch dynamic weather because rain would turn the game into a slideshow.

Let's hope that RT will remain a toggle option because if every next gen console game is "conceived from birth" with RT then let us prepare for very... basic games (Tetris FTW!).

News Comments > Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Breakpoint Ghost War Details & Beta Signups
3. Re: Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Breakpoint Ghost War Details & Beta Signups Aug 19, 2019, 22:14 CJ_Parker

Wallshadows wrote on Aug 19, 2019, 20:55:
Got in to the technical beta last month and let me tell you it needs a mountain of work done in order to hit the October release date. Not even little issues either but we're talking core problems with sounds, physics, animations and bugs bug BUGS. The character animations looked worse than the first Syphon Filter.

General performance was abysmal too especially when you consider the textures in it at the time weren't even complete. Looked and played like a game from many, many years ago but with the hardware requirements which exceed those from Wildlands.

Unless they purposefully released a really old build to intentionally sand bag themselves, invest in Quaker Oats Company because they'll all be eating many boxes of Captain Crunch.

Agree with most of this but welcome to yet another GaaS UbiSoft title. They will address all of this in one of the 672 patches and/or 47 DLCs which will be sold through annual passes throughout the next five years. Don't worry. The full game is only $400.

That said, as the title technical beta suggests, I'm pretty sure that the main purpose was for them to test their online stuff.
It was a huge leap in quality compared to the technical alpha by the way. Now *that* fucker was rough. The technical beta almost felt like a complete game by comparison.

I'll play the beta but I think I'm out as far as the full game is concerned. Loved Wildlands but now it seems they are dumping the last remnants of the Ghost Recon DNA (special ops covert gameplay) to replace it with Division (2) DNA.
I also feel like the story and setting is kinda lame with that evil tech corp bullshit.

Add to this the retarded annual passes and the fact that the game won't be "complete" for many years... nothx. I might check it out in a couple of years when subbing to uPlay+ for a test month or so.

15. Re: More Ray Tracing Plans Revealed Aug 19, 2019, 19:57 CJ_Parker

Kxmode wrote on Aug 19, 2019, 19:10:
RedEye9 wrote on Aug 19, 2019, 16:37:
CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 19, 2019, 16:22:
RedEye9 wrote on Aug 19, 2019, 15:46:
Bill Borre wrote on Aug 19, 2019, 12:46:
I guess ray tracing is the new lens flare.
Cheers to the money wasters early adopters for making it possible for the rest of us.

Red alert. Butthurt jelly AMD peasant detected!
. Wink

I own a 2080 Ti dog. Can't be butthurt or jelly if I own the card.

Um, what?

I didn't even reply to your post and the "red alert" was a fun little pun directed at the person I actually quoted.

12. Re: More Ray Tracing Plans Revealed Aug 19, 2019, 16:58 CJ_Parker

Gib007 wrote on Aug 19, 2019, 16:42:
Raytracing was a plus and though it does give a big performance hit, DLSS does offset it. Unfortunately DLSS is too blurry for my taste in Battlefield V. Maybe other games implement it better

Yes, DLSS depends a lot on the implementation. You can probably find the best implementation so far in Shadow of the Tomb Raider. All other AA modes are inferior to DLSS in that game while ray tracing is used only for the shadows (not reflections like in BFV).
SotTR is already a good looking game but DLSS and DXR/RTX take it to the next level.
The (1440p) performance is decent on a 2080Ti. There are a few spots with lots of vegetation and shadows cast by the trees etc. where it drops to 40fps but most of the time it's smooth sailing at 70 - 100+fps.

8. Re: More Ray Tracing Plans Revealed Aug 19, 2019, 16:22 CJ_Parker

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 19, 2019, 15:46:
Bill Borre wrote on Aug 19, 2019, 12:46:
I guess ray tracing is the new lens flare.
Cheers to the money wasters early adopters for making it possible for the rest of us.

Red alert. Butthurt jelly AMD peasant detected!

News Comments > Morning Interviews
5. Re: Morning Interviews Aug 19, 2019, 16:09 CJ_Parker

Yeah, I mean hate on Jen-Hsun Huang all you like but credit where credit is due. The dude is not just the CEO of nVidia but he does have a Stanford master's degree in electrical engineering. He is a tech nerd and you can certainly rest assured that he knows what he is talking about.  

News Comments > SYNCED: Off-Planet Announced
3. Re: SYNCED: Off-Planet Announced Aug 19, 2019, 15:50 CJ_Parker

Looks generic as fuck so Y to the A to the W to the N.  

3. Re: More Ray Tracing Plans Revealed Aug 19, 2019, 15:40 CJ_Parker

Excellent news. Ray tracing is really gaining some traction now and many devs are gathering invaluable experience points working with DXR now. This should help kickstart the tech (hopefully) big time once the new conslows are here next year. 'sides if Call of Doody is getting it then everyone in AAA land will feel like they "must" have it in their games, too.  

News Comments > Dragon Age Producer Leaves BioWare
10. Re: Dragon Age Producer Leaves BioWare Aug 18, 2019, 18:04 CJ_Parker

Quinn wrote on Aug 18, 2019, 17:30:
Anyway, I stopped caring a long time ago. I never hoped for a Dragon Age 4.

Same here. Pipe dreams that BioWare might return the franchise to DAO glory are just that: Pipe dreams.

I actually didn't think that DA2 and DAI were all that bad but the ending of DAI, i.e. the real ending a.k.a Trespasser DLC, has completely turned me off. Uh-huh. Solas, the secret super-villain. Riiiiight, BioWare.

Come the fuck on. The guy looked like a walking penis in DAI and if you only took him on his personal quest then he remained a VERY pale walking penis for the entire vanilla game. It is only in the DLC that he suddenly turns rogue.

The whole thing sucked major monkeyballs towards the end anyway... like how you got incapacitated every minute by your little fade rift "handicap". It was annoying as fuck. Way to NOT end an epic RPG after 190-ish hours in my case (DAI GOTY).

So, yeah, the prospect of a GaaS Dragon Age 4 that has the player character chase after Mr. Pale Walking Penis is not exactly enticing.

News Comments > Saturday Multiplex
3. Re: Saturday Multiplex Aug 17, 2019, 16:38 CJ_Parker

Graphics are the least concern to me. They'll be good enough and where they aren't there will be 3rd party scenery.

The much more interesting question is the depth of the simulation. Weather system? Physics? Avionics? VFR/IFR implementation? ATC? Real world procedures? 3rd party support?

Will there be PMDG-like study level aircraft? Will PMDG port their current planes and future projects to the new FSX? What about other devs like Carenado, Majestics, A2A etc.?
And what about the scenery stuff? Will it have a similarly layered system as old FSX with support for 3rd party meshes, vectors, textures and so on? Or will all of that be made obsolete by their new terrain engine?

They should really get that info out there soon-ish. It would only be fair to the 3rd parties as well because many sim pilots are probably holding back on 3rd party purchases for FSX-SE, P3D or XP11 now.

News Comments > Epic Games Store Adds Features
25. Re: Epic Games Store Adds Features Aug 16, 2019, 11:58 CJ_Parker

Simon Says wrote on Aug 15, 2019, 22:25:
RedEye9 wrote on Aug 15, 2019, 21:40:
Epic
Damned if they do
Damned if they don't
Damn

Never damned if they'd actually compete on price. Even Uplay does that VS Steam prices.

Anno 2070 CE on Steam 40$ CAD
Anno 2070 CE on Uplay 10$ CAD

Guess where I just bought my Anno 2070 copy? Yep, Uplay.

Still waiting for EGS to do the same thing with games instead of engaging in anti-competitive exclusives which preempt any competition at all ( you can't offer a lower price if you can't sell it ).

When Ubisoft > Epic, something's seriously fucked up somewhere.

*sigh*

It's 2019 and you still don't know that only the publishers determine the prices and not the stores? The stores only make suggestions occasionally or send the devs/publishers sales notices with a request to file their discounts but the pricing decision always lies solely with the publisher. Been like that since Steam launched in 2003 and has never changed.

Ubi obviously wanted to only discount on uPlay. They do this quite often. Then they sometimes bring the same discounts to Steam/Origin a couple of days later... or sometimes not. This is nothing new at all.

News Comments > Anthem Lead Ben Irving Leaving BioWare
9. Re: Anthem Lead Ben Irving Leaving BioWare Aug 16, 2019, 11:48 CJ_Parker

Avus wrote on Aug 16, 2019, 09:16:
Drayth wrote on Aug 15, 2019, 19:37:
BioWare-o-Where-Did-You-Go.... maybe he'll get to work on Baldur's Gate 3.

Think again what you really wish for, he is one of the person that made Anthem SUCKS.

Yeah, lead producer is pretty much one of the most important jobs related to a project. He did not fuck it up alone but he was WAY up there on the bridge of the Anthem Titanic. He must have called more than one retarded shot and contributed massively to fucking it up big time.

Let's hope this new job he was mentioning is about working on mobile games or some irrelevant shit like that. You don't want that guy anywhere near a gig like Larian Studios.

5256 Comments. 263 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo