Total Posts
1228 (Pro)
User ID
Search For:
Sort Results:
Ascending
Descending
Limit Results:

1228 Comments. 62 pages. Viewing page 20.
Newer [  1    15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30    62  ] Older

Re: Star Control Wars
Mar 23, 2018, 01:05
Re: Star Control Wars Mar 23, 2018, 01:05
Mar 23, 2018, 01:05

Gas Bandit wrote on Mar 22, 2018, 18:30:
Stardock kinda acting sketchy about all this, but on the other hand, I remember that Paul and Fred straight up disappeared on Accolade back during Star Control 2 development, and Accolade had to hire a PI to frickin track them down, eventually finding them in Alaska, where they apparently finished the game in ways that were way different than what was in the manual.

So... it's also not hard for me to believe that Paul and Fred are spazztastic tinfoil-hat batshit crazy unmedicated psychos on an insane rant parade.

If they are insane then good. Makes for amazing games! Like Fez!

If I was a lawyer for either side I would try and paint my client as the Kzer-Za, and opponents as the Kohr-Ah. Killmonger might see genocide as preferable to slavery but I don't think most jury's would.

Re: Sea of Thieves Content Plans
Mar 23, 2018, 00:59
Re: Sea of Thieves Content Plans Mar 23, 2018, 00:59
Mar 23, 2018, 00:59

I'm loving it but I'm cycling between in and Vermintide, which has all that lovely so called 'content' in it that I sometimes want a break from.

The prices for cosmetics and the lack of variety are disappointing. Maybe as I rank up the quests will pay out more but so far it will take me a few nights just to get a decent fucking hat.

Friends and rivals are hard to recognize as other ships at sea all have white sails, and later on if they grind enough there is still only half a dozen or so choices. Black flag's ship customization was better than this.

That said I am so glad this thing exists. It scratches that Elite Dangerous/Euro Truck Simulator itch. But with really good co-op. I plan on getting an XBOXS with this next time they go cheap on amazon/ebay so I can sail around the Sea of Theives with my daughter, introduce her to random internet friends and see how she reacts to people screaming FUCK YOUR MOTHERS at her. For now we have to take turns which is not quite as fun.

Got in a chase the other night and our prey shouted "Screw you buddy!" repeatedly at us in a Chinese accent whenever we got close enough. Of course being the shitty hack that I am, I went full south park right back at them and the crew of randos I got was totally down with our shenanigans, at least till we ran out of planks and cannonballs and turned tail.

As with most my favorite games, the criticisms are valid but not deal breakers for some reason. I really don't want to do those chicken hunting merchant quests. The beta had some cool simple-clue following quests which seemed promising, multi island and competitive versions of them would be great, Race to the treasure! Style, the game might even be doing that with the quest gen but it's hard to tell, certainly less action in the release game than the betas. Not sure why, but with my brief experience working on online games the bottlenecks that occur at scale are not foreseeable and have nothing to do with how many server resources you have. I hope they work it out.

Re: Metro Exodus Ray Tracing Support Plans
Mar 22, 2018, 05:20
Re: Metro Exodus Ray Tracing Support Plans Mar 22, 2018, 05:20
Mar 22, 2018, 05:20

Wallshadows wrote on Mar 21, 2018, 20:54:
It wouldn't be a Metro title without obscene specifications.

Disagree. Those first games could run fine on modest hardware if you turned down some settings, especially Last Light. 4A are just graphics nuts enough to future proof their games with options that go to 11 so your PC 4 years from now will have something to do. Not super friendly to consumers that max everything out and not realise what that means (Chernobyl esque PC meltdowns appropriately enough!)

Just because they are doing some dark magic with ray-tracing wont make the game less optimized in DX11/12/OpenGL or whatever they let you use for it. Like most our precious PC games, the need for them to work on consoles keeps them honest (Witcher 3 and GTA being prime examples).

People whinge about not being able to get 100FPS with 4x FSAA but things are so much better now than they used to be. Good old Origin would release games that wouldn't run on mere mortals PC's all the time and I at least enjoyed most of them years and upgrades after the fact because of it.

Total Annihilation would have memory requirements next to their maps. Was so excited to finally try those 64 meg of ram ones! What a nightmare.

Re: Sea of Thieves Fix Plans
Mar 22, 2018, 05:12
Re: Sea of Thieves Fix Plans Mar 22, 2018, 05:12
Mar 22, 2018, 05:12

It sounds like I'm the only guy on earth that likes this game but I cannot get on! First issue with it since a few hours after launch. I'll try to join someone in progress, I added about 20 people to my list when drinking, er, roll-playing the other night.

Re: Sea of Thieves Sets Sail
Mar 22, 2018, 03:43
Re: Sea of Thieves Sets Sail Mar 22, 2018, 03:43
Mar 22, 2018, 03:43

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 21, 2018, 11:15:
Ozmodan wrote on Mar 21, 2018, 10:20:
Been playing the game and it is definitely worth the $60 IMO. How many games are? I think the PS4 people are eating their heart out!

No way compared to the games I play, which have a lot more content for a lot less.

Content maybe, but there is a sheer joy to the act of playing some games that make it worthwhile for some people. I've also got hundreds of hours out of $20 (or less) games like Factorio, Kerbal, Eurotruck, PUBG, Men of War Assault Squad etc. This is something different and I think valuable. But maybe I am alone in having a Sea of Thieves shaped hole in my game collection.

Probably should have been half the price though, few MP only games get away with that price tag. I already got my moneys worth out of my Beta sessions and the first few days off this and I still didn't buy it, the Gamepass deal will let me effectively demo it.

Getting matched with lame crews sucks but easy enough to work that out and try again, found a few good groups of randos and had a whale of a time.

Re: Sea of Thieves Sets Sail
Mar 20, 2018, 10:38
Re: Sea of Thieves Sets Sail Mar 20, 2018, 10:38
Mar 20, 2018, 10:38

I'm digging it. I sailed with random people who I will never meet again but will love deeply till I die, sank a few, ran a lot, sold some chickens to KFC and chased Canadians into a storm, exiting to find another galleon and a three way fight that depleted all our supplies before we got away.

It's free to try with the game-pass trick. Win 10 is fine, the windows store is usable. It's no steam/gog but what is hey?

I see why so many are bouncing off it, but god damned if you are wired like some of us it will grab you by the balls and keep you up 2 hours past sensible grownup sleep time for days.

Being MP only probably should have been half the price, though I wonder if full price is the only way to be taken seriously in GameStop. Again, get game pass free trial and cancel in 13 days if you think it's not worth it. Easy. Or pay ten bucks a month for a month or two or nine.

Re: Evening Interviews
Mar 20, 2018, 05:56
Re: Evening Interviews Mar 20, 2018, 05:56
Mar 20, 2018, 05:56

Jokes aside, I hope my old Koch buddies make out ok. "We will invest" sounds ok but these things often end in layoffs, not opportunities.

Re: Epic Releases $12M Worth of Paragon Content
Mar 20, 2018, 05:48
Re: Epic Releases $12M Worth of Paragon Content Mar 20, 2018, 05:48
Mar 20, 2018, 05:48

It's worth $0 now, although the goodwill and boost to UE4 amateur devs might be worth it, and if so they deserve it. A lot of this shit gets lost in normal, day to day operations like the OG lunar landing films, or almost every other games assets through neglect. Double Fine got lucky that Lucasarts had inherited the archival practices of it's parent.

How many engineers got their teeth wet on released ID game sources? It's probably paid for itself many times over. Pubs should not be so scared and keep things proprietary, releasing moderately old code (Say, 5 years old) wouldn't give away any secret magic sauce but will result in way better job candidates for Assassins Creed 13 or whatever. Industry needs more of that. It's a lot harder now with all the middle ware that makes independent development possible but you can't complain about lack of talent when you don't show anyone how the sausage is made.

Re: How to Play Sea of Thieves Early (And For Free!)
Mar 20, 2018, 05:38
Re: How to Play Sea of Thieves Early (And For Free!) Mar 20, 2018, 05:38
Mar 20, 2018, 05:38

Sepharo wrote on Mar 20, 2018, 00:10:
Numinar wrote on Mar 19, 2018, 23:50:
Sepharo wrote on Mar 19, 2018, 22:39:
This game is going to be DOA unless they add some sort of progression.
It's not competitive enough to stand on it's own without it. So if you're going to have dudes sailing all over the place for hours to collect chests and skulls there better be a reason to do it other than cosmetic unlocks.

I'm a big fan of it, but I like free-wheeling hijinks. For me it feels like a co-op/pvp Sid Miers Pirates game. Simple pieces adding up to an interesting whole.

I hope it's successful enough to engender continued development, as I had fun on the three weekends I tried during the beta and will at least max out whats in there. Though in an age of free Fortnite and 1/3rd the price PUBG it may very well struggle. The Microsoft netflix for games thing might get it an audience though.

There is a bit of progression. As your faction rep goes up you can get slightly fancier missions, and you can buy fancy sails and shoes and hurdy gurdies or whatever.

But if you want to see numbers go up, well, there is every other bloody game released just waiting for you on steam. Vermintide 2 has a whole fucking lot of numbers that go up. Same with Destiny if you want something more relaxing.

I for one appreciate the fact that it's a real effort to hunt down, sink and rob other players in this game and when it happens they have nothing to cry about since you all have access to the exact same gear.

I think I agree with you on pretty much all of this...
But this game is getting a crazy amount of hype and I think people are going to get bored quickly and the MP aspect is going to die off quickly.
The gameplay just doesn't really seem there, not enough variation or purpose to the PvE and the PvP isn't competitive enough to stand on its own, there's nothing to "win". I'd like to see a more RPG like PvE or a more competitive MP, but right now it just seems like bad versions of both... But goddamn is the game beautiful and the concept so promising.
Who doesn't want to batten down the hatches and play an accordion and bail water etc. etc.

The Kraken stuff is cool though, maybe tons more big unique events like that could keep people interested... but after you defeat the thing what do you have to show for it?

sorry I'm rambling

No I think your points are valid, possibly for most people. (except the crazy amount of hype, though maybe I don't go the places where I see that, and there is certainly none of it here). But sometimes less is more, and I think this is such a situation. At least for people like me and similar brains.

It would be nice if there were more multi-ship raid bosses, Jason and the Argonauts style adventures or base building or other deeper systems, but I think the lack of leveled equipment is a design decision I can appreciate ALL PIRATES ARE EQUAL is in the code in the tavern.

I already have SO MANY fucking games that do the colour coordinated leveled equipment thing. Some of them very well. It's not the only way to make a game. I guess competitive (PUBG) or story (Uncharted) are the other ways to give progression and this game has neither of them either. It's just hijinks, with the kind of combat and controls you could explain to your mum or 8 year old kid.

For competitive age of sail silliness there is a round based multi-crew PvP ship game on Steam, I forget what it's called. But maybe that would be more up your alley? It doesn't have the technical mastery of a 1st party MS product but if I ever want to combine the intensity of Chivalry with Black Flag I'll probably give it a go as SoT is scratching an itch I didn't know I had and I'm sure there are other ways to do it. As for loot/progression, maybe the UBISOFT game on the way will do that.

Anyone want to crew up I'm Feral_Goat_X on xboxlive or whatever it is. Matchmaking seems shit at the moment, I only ever seem to match with another sloop who I then harass to keep the islands and outposts I'm working clear, not risking a sink attempt solo. In the betas there were sometimes 4 galleons all going for it, or sloops double teaming Galleons, and all sorts of Cartoon Pirate shenanigans were afoot.

So anyone worried about the shallowness, you probably should be. It really is almost exactly how it seems. If that doesn't speak to you do not buy, not that I would recommend any MP only game for $100 AUD (Give it a go with the free gamepass 15 day trial!). But if cruising the best looking water in gaming with a real sense of dread and excitement on the odd occasion you encounter another ship, storms that give you chills, a UI that knows when to fuck off and leave the screen and having strangers scream FUCK YOUR MOTHERS as they hit you with a few cannon and run, please give it a go. It is kind of special.

Re: Evening Metaverse
Mar 20, 2018, 00:12
Re: Evening Metaverse Mar 20, 2018, 00:12
Mar 20, 2018, 00:12

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 19, 2018, 20:12:
#facebookisCancer

The irony of making a hashtag movement about quitting a giant unaccountable tech platform.

Re: How to Play Sea of Thieves Early (And For Free!)
Mar 19, 2018, 23:50
Re: How to Play Sea of Thieves Early (And For Free!) Mar 19, 2018, 23:50
Mar 19, 2018, 23:50

Sepharo wrote on Mar 19, 2018, 22:39:
This game is going to be DOA unless they add some sort of progression.
It's not competitive enough to stand on it's own without it. So if you're going to have dudes sailing all over the place for hours to collect chests and skulls there better be a reason to do it other than cosmetic unlocks.

I'm a big fan of it, but I like free-wheeling hijinks. For me it feels like a co-op/pvp Sid Miers Pirates game. Simple pieces adding up to an interesting whole.

I hope it's successful enough to engender continued development, as I had fun on the three weekends I tried during the beta and will at least max out whats in there. Though in an age of free Fortnite and 1/3rd the price PUBG it may very well struggle. The Microsoft netflix for games thing might get it an audience though.

There is a bit of progression. As your faction rep goes up you can get slightly fancier missions, and you can buy fancy sails and shoes and hurdy gurdies or whatever.

But if you want to see numbers go up, well, there is every other bloody game released just waiting for you on steam. Vermintide 2 has a whole fucking lot of numbers that go up. Same with Destiny if you want something more relaxing.

I for one appreciate the fact that it's a real effort to hunt down, sink and rob other players in this game and when it happens they have nothing to cry about since you all have access to the exact same gear.

Re: Kerbal Expands
Mar 14, 2018, 05:16
Re: Kerbal Expands Mar 14, 2018, 05:16
Mar 14, 2018, 05:16

MeanJim wrote on Mar 14, 2018, 01:52:
eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 13, 2018, 20:27:
Hey, gotta hand it to them, bought it April 2013 and thus got my expansion for free.

When they announced this I remember reading that early adopters would get it and future DLC for free. I bought it in when it was alpha version 0.20, so I thought anyone that bought it during the alpha or early access would qualify as an early adopter. I didn't know about the April 2013 cutoff until this morning. I checked my Steam account and saw I missed the April cutoff by a little over a month. What was so special about April 2013? I'm going to pick it up anyway, not cry and throw a tantrum like people are doing on the forums.

I paid less than $15 for the game during the alpha and I've gotten more than my money's worth out of it, so they've earned another $15 from me. I played the crap out of it up until Beta, then came back at 1.0 and started a new career, but the bugs and memory and leaks in that release combined with the crap ton of mods I had installed began causing crashes once I had a few missions going. I came back to it again after 1.2, but I never started a career game because I was waiting on some mods to get updated. While waiting, patches kept coming which kept delaying mods, and I eventually moved on to other things.

I was getting ready to fire it up again and finally get into a career game. I was installing mods and making sure everything was just right when they announced the expansion, so I decided I might as well hold off for it.

I watched the Twitch release stream this morning. They mentioned that with the changes made with 1.4, that it should reduce breaking mods with every minor release, so here's hoping once the mods I want to use catch up, I'll finally get to play through a career.

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 13, 2018, 20:27:
Also makes you realize how incredibly stupid slow the games development has been. The takeover by whoever took over, I kinda already forgot, seems to be absolutely a good thing, now to revamp the god awful planet graphics and maybe add some actual things to discover on the planets...

Take 2 took over as publisher, but I believe Squad still owns the IP. I remember people dropping negative reviews on KSP when Take 2 forced the shutdown of some GTA V mods, which sadly some are still there. When I fired it up this morning, my first time since 1.4 release, it had a logo for some company called Private Division during loading. I looked them up and it's a new publishing co. formed by Take 2 for helping indie and small developers. Recently there was a lot of whining over the new EULA, which nobody ever reads anyway.

It's only been 2 years since its official release. It was in development for a long time before that though. I remember there was a bit of drama a while back and a lot of devs left. There's a pretty much a whole new team now, and they're located all over the world. It's not a typical team sitting in an office working on the game 9-5, they're scattered all over the world.

I also wish they would add stock weather/clouds and shaders. The mod I previously used for clouds (EVE I think) has been merged into a new one called Stock Visual Enhancements and Stock Visual Terrain (SVE and SVT for short). I've tried Scatterer, and it looks great, but it tanks the frame rate so hard when on the surface of a planet. I used SVE and SVT for clouds and better terrain, Texture replacer to change out the ugly ass default skybox, and Distant Object Enhancement to make the game look better.

Those mods are awesome, no frame rate issue with scatterer, though I don't turn on all the features. (being mods and not QA'd game features, almost all have settings/sliders that allow you to wreck your game).

I think the cut off matches the Steam Release. It was sold outside of steam before that. I didn't get the DLC either but they can have my money next time I'm ready to play. One of the most important games ever made, if it influences just a few genius kids to take the aerospace path.

Re: Warhammer: Vermintide 2 Released
Mar 10, 2018, 03:08
Re: Warhammer: Vermintide 2 Released Mar 10, 2018, 03:08
Mar 10, 2018, 03:08

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Mar 9, 2018, 13:52:
Numinar wrote on Mar 9, 2018, 08:42:
Early reports say it’s a prettier version of previous game, so I’ll probably get this. I quite like my quality repetitive co-op loot shooters! Just hope that GMG deal is still on tomorrow and the key is region free.

It's prettier with better mechanics. Less game breaking swing throughs.. they really improved.

Playing now. It does feel better. Definitely runs better whilst looking three times as good.

Re: White House Game Summit Recap
Mar 9, 2018, 23:55
Re: White House Game Summit Recap Mar 9, 2018, 23:55
Mar 9, 2018, 23:55

Fucking idiots. Might as well ban males or ban masturbating. The science is probably more solid there.

Now to read the comments to look for trumps wannabe cock holsters and see how they handwave this bullshit...

Re: Warhammer: Vermintide 2 Released
Mar 9, 2018, 08:42
Re: Warhammer: Vermintide 2 Released Mar 9, 2018, 08:42
Mar 9, 2018, 08:42

Early reports say it’s a prettier version of previous game, so I’ll probably get this. I quite like my quality repetitive co-op loot shooters! Just hope that GMG deal is still on tomorrow and the key is region free.

Re: Get Amnesia Collection Free on Steam
Mar 9, 2018, 08:38
Re: Get Amnesia Collection Free on Steam Mar 9, 2018, 08:38
Mar 9, 2018, 08:38

Quinn wrote on Mar 9, 2018, 08:14:
Cram wrote on Mar 8, 2018, 23:40:
Cutter wrote on Mar 8, 2018, 22:28:
Didn't they do this before? I have both games in my Steam library but I know I didn't buy them. Still haven't played Pig Machine but did play some of DD. Yeah it was tense but didn't seem that scary. Especially compared to Outlast which freaked me the fuck out.

IMO Outlast was good at "startling" you, it was not scary. You'd jump for a second and go into action mode to stay alive. Dark Descent was actually, at times, scary. The dread was persistent throughout many particular levels/areas whether there was a monster around or not. Again, just my opinion.

And Outlast 2, sadly, completely failed. They forgot one of the most important things in horror: the release of tension. Outlast 2 was constantly completely fucked up. At some point your mind would just go "Fuck this, this isn't fun scary anymore.". Don't get me wrong, even the scariest fucking shit out there can be fun scary. It's the release of tension that's necessary for it to be experienced as fun.

Alien Isolation is my favourite one of these, but it also fails the tension test. I’m
never not freaking the fuck out which is why I’m slowly completing one objective every six months for the rest of my life.

Re: Sunday Tech Bits
Mar 5, 2018, 05:33
Re: Sunday Tech Bits Mar 5, 2018, 05:33
Mar 5, 2018, 05:33

Cutter wrote on Mar 4, 2018, 13:20:
This articles is pure clickbait. No it's not time to take it seriously and never will be. It will never happen. This is just more Musk sensationalism to keep his promise everything, do nothing company in the public's attention. He constantly promises the moon and delivers a handful of rocks. He makes crap for the idle rich to feel good about himself and delude himself into believing he's making difference for the better when he very clearly isn't.

I am neither idle nor rich but those rockets are fucking cool.

Be nice if he was a bit nicer to his employees but as far as industrialists go, good for him.

Quite a few Paypal alumni went on to shit out money on all sorts of projects. Electric robot cars, tunnels for human haters and buck rogers rockets are pretty cool compared to most of them.

Re: Trump Calls Game Meeting
Mar 2, 2018, 10:06
Re: Trump Calls Game Meeting Mar 2, 2018, 10:06
Mar 2, 2018, 10:06

Task wrote on Mar 2, 2018, 10:00:
Saboth wrote on Mar 1, 2018, 22:14:
The man needs to be removed from office before he destroys our economy.

While I agree, the U.S. economy has slowly decayed for a few decades now. A slow motion cliff dive or kicking the can down the road. There's also this report that suggests the Fed won't be able to bail out anything during a next recession.

Trumps "Budget" Summarized

Older article but good, Why the US has really gone broke (tldr, High Military Spending Drains Innovation, Investment and Manufacturing Strength from the Civilian Economy)

The multiple still ongoing military 'adventures' debt will be thrown onto the shoulders of our children and their children and so on. I think in at least a couple more generations though the U.S. will probably go through a change as younger generations take over and try something new.

The environmental debt is worse. The next 5 generations will pay the cost regardless, but we can suck it up and make it a little less brutal for our descendants by doing some work now. I have a feeling it would be cheaper than the current methods in the long run in any case, but momentum is with those who made a whole lotta money and therefore influence out of burning dead shit so nothing will change.

Re: Trump Calls Game Meeting
Mar 2, 2018, 10:02
Re: Trump Calls Game Meeting Mar 2, 2018, 10:02
Mar 2, 2018, 10:02

sliv wrote on Mar 2, 2018, 09:44:
ECHO CHAMBER! .... echo chamber ... echo chamber ...
ECHO CHAMBER! .... echo chamber ... echo chamber ...

Yep, it's still working

Maybe. Or maybe your ideas are wrong and/or you are in the very tiny, possibly idiotic minority. At least on this board.

Re: PC CHRONO TRIGGER Released
Feb 28, 2018, 06:45
Re: PC CHRONO TRIGGER Released Feb 28, 2018, 06:45
Feb 28, 2018, 06:45

Man I'm tempted, the OG game was the best. So much better than stinky boring FF.

What are those anime bits? And I wonder how the sound is. The dedicated sound hardware on the Amiga/Snes usually results in remakes sounding super wrong and weak.
1228 Comments. 62 pages. Viewing page 20.
Newer [  1    15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30    62  ] Older