Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Vince

Real Name Vince   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Numinar
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2006, 06:24
Total Comments 966 (Graduate)
User ID 24402

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 10, 2018, 12:45 Numinar

That avalanche story is insane. It's a pity they cannot fund the volunteer rescuers with some kind of tourism or outdoor gear tax, but maybe there is one already or it would hurt tourism too much. Though there were problems, it seems like the way the different emergency volunteers, workers, police and railway staff worked together made that rescue possible in a way that it's hard to imagine happening in many places. I guess living in the Arctic makes for tough people that understand the value of cooperation and preparedness.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > PUBG War Mode Returns; Sanhok Testing Extended
1. Re: PUBG War Mode Returns; Sanhok Testing Extended Jun 7, 2018, 12:17 Numinar

I love PUBG but this fix stinks of the multiple lobby fix for game start issues that is still in evidence. Those 100 player lobbies were great stress tests for if you had the game settings right. Make it smooth-ish there and you knew you would be fine in game.

Instead of finding a way to make the design work, they have instead reduced the scope of the design. A very slippery slope. I'd accept the fix as a temporary solution but the what you see is what you get aspect of PUBG is super important to it. The idea that 100 people could all meet in a bathroom is important, especially for future modded content, even if it will never happen in a real game.

News Comments > HITMAN 2 Reveal Thursday?
6. Re: HITMAN 2 Reveal Thursday? Jun 7, 2018, 12:11 Numinar

El Pit wrote on Jun 5, 2018, 05:40:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Jun 5, 2018, 04:42:
So is WB Games actually still supporting the PC or, like they said after the Arkham Knight debacle, they wont do stuff for the PC anymore?

Arkham Knight was a disaster in release state and even after the first patches. It did work well on some VERY high end machines but was in some places (especially when driving the bat tank) unplayable because of massive frame stuttering. It was absolutely irresponsible to release the game in this state. Nowadays, it is just awesome. I played it, finished it, did almost all side missions - what a great game. It should have been in this state at release and not the catastrophe it happened to be at release.

Yeah I did AK 3 times including hardest, no button prompt difficulty. It's probably my favorite game in the series, though it lacks the intimacy of AA or the best moments of the rogues gallery of AC, which I think also had better predator moments and that cool exploration of the undercity.

And the car stuff was fine but not very Batman-like. Outside of the early parts and a boss fight it never outstayed it's welcome.

But as a whole, wow. That game has all the rough edges of AC ironed out and is so, so fun moment to moment. And looks phenomenal, at least on PS4 where I played it all those years ago now.

On PS4 it launched well and still looks better than most PC games released recently on hardware many times more powerful. That they stuffed up this port must have cost them tens of millions. Think of what a Batman Trilogy would have earned them if they hadn't screwed the pooch and tarnished it's reputation, maybe not quite Skyrim evergreen but it could have spent a long, long time on those steam charts.

Making games is hard though. They should have delayed it and let it come out a few months later, or gone full Rockstar and given it a year, but who knows if the contractors doing the port could have done it. The thing looks so good on console I imagine most it's optimization and rendering tricks are laser focused on those platforms and would have taken much better planning, resourcing and talent to get parity on PC.

News Comments > Paradox Interactive Acquiring Harebrained Schemes
13. Re: Paradox Interactive Acquiring Harebrained Schemes Jun 7, 2018, 07:07 Numinar

Red886 wrote on Jun 6, 2018, 12:23:
Numinar wrote on Jun 6, 2018, 04:28:
El Pit wrote on Jun 6, 2018, 02:21:
The BATTLETECH complete edition will be released in... NEVER.

Actually they released the complete, full, super good value version of BATTLETECH on April 24 this year.

Have you played it? It's already a massive, awesome game. Just like CK2 and EU4 were on release. I've lost weeks to it and could probably go a 2nd or 3rd playthrough if not more. Sure there are a few missing MECHS they could cram in there but there were more than enough as is.

I would hope any DLC is oldschool, like the main game, and just add a shorter, tighter new campaign and heaps of QOL improvements and a few units. Micro DLC could also work but I'm not sure if a few bucks for a few MECHS would tickle my fancy unless heavily discounted. Like most Paradox DLC!

question to ask would be "when will be the sequel? 10 years time after dozens of dlc?"

I understand the frustration. I'm not sure what a CK3 would be, they have World of Warcrafted themselves by making a product so big over 6 years with all the enhancements and patches no newly released game could compete with it. What would a new engine have to do to make deprecating previously purchased content worth it?

BATTLETECH could be run in a similar way, as a living product that gets better over time and eventually has multiple factions, start dates spanning 800 years and campaigns to choose from. We don't know what their plans are for it though and it could definitely benefit from advances in rendering, animation and physics in a way that the Paradox map of the world games do not.

But with the fairly static and already mostly complete tabletop ruleset as a base, future separate releases seem pretty reasonable for BATTLETECH as well. Longer line of site ranges and maybe an option to use different tabletop rulesets verbatim would be a bonus and something the current release could possibly be modded with.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
15. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 6, 2018, 04:36 Numinar

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jun 5, 2018, 20:12:
jdreyer wrote on Jun 5, 2018, 14:49:
I really like my Hyper X headset. Good sound, and a good design with a removable mike and 3.5mm jack. And it wasn't that expensive.

Ditto. I have tried many "gaming" headsets and they always sucked compared to my Sennheiser and AKG reference baselines. The Hyper X were the very first I tried that didn't sound as if they were tuned to solely bass frequencies and didn't feel like I had strapped 50lbs of weight to my head (looking at you here Corsair and Logitech).

The mic on my set is a little quiet but using software as a mixer allowed me to make it a "hot" mic which fixed the problem.

I fixed that mic issue with some kind of weird pre-amp equalizer. Equalizer APO Configurator with the PEACE GUI. It took a lot of threads about the issue to find the solution, certainly no solution from HyperX. Maybe if I wrote them directly I could swap the USB dongle thing but I imagine there is no point given the ubiquity of the issue.

The headset itself is amazing. Much better even than my old Sennies that died from having the cords run over a few too many times. Especially for the price, but the quality of the USB external soundcard thing obviously has problems (The mic issue doesn't exist when you use the jack on a PS4 controller).

News Comments > Paradox Interactive Acquiring Harebrained Schemes
10. Re: Paradox Interactive Acquiring Harebrained Schemes Jun 6, 2018, 04:28 Numinar

El Pit wrote on Jun 6, 2018, 02:21:
The BATTLETECH complete edition will be released in... NEVER.

Actually they released the complete, full, super good value version of BATTLETECH on April 24 this year.

Have you played it? It's already a massive, awesome game. Just like CK2 and EU4 were on release. I've lost weeks to it and could probably go a 2nd or 3rd playthrough if not more. Sure there are a few missing MECHS they could cram in there but there were more than enough as is.

I would hope any DLC is oldschool, like the main game, and just add a shorter, tighter new campaign and heaps of QOL improvements and a few units. Micro DLC could also work but I'm not sure if a few bucks for a few MECHS would tickle my fancy unless heavily discounted. Like most Paradox DLC!

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jun 5, 2018, 07:00 Numinar

jdreyer wrote on Jun 4, 2018, 21:17:
John, if elected, will use the pardon power to pardon himself.

That pardon only works in the USA. His rape and murders in Belize will still be a thing.

News Comments > Destiny 2 Year 2 Roadmap Livestream Tomorrow
4. Re: Destiny 2 Year 2 Roadmap Livestream Tomorrow Jun 5, 2018, 06:15 Numinar

Bishi wrote on Jun 5, 2018, 02:25:
Such a soulless shell of a game, there are more exciting cookie clickers.

Please let me know what these are and don't say Warframe or anything that pretends it's Diablo. I've tried many times.

I kind of want to play, it feels great. But that feeling is also almost all it has now. I feel like the D1 environments were more interesting even if the D2 ones are larger and more detailed.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Odyssey Revealed
18. Re: Assassin's Creed Odyssey Revealed Jun 2, 2018, 10:56 Numinar

saluk wrote on Jun 1, 2018, 17:58:
Hate to break it to y'all but calling it "Odessey" in no way confirms it actually takes place within the fictional setting of Homer's Odyssey or the surrounding myths. The title could reasonably be intended as setting the game within the historical context that produced those stories.

I'm still working my way through syndicate. Honestly, these games are as popcorn as they come, but sometimes popcorn is what I want to eat. I'll probably keep eating popcorn as long as it is produced. I also would probably not cry about it if it stopped. I'd just eat pretzels or something.

Yeah I'm all about popcorn if it involves tooling around a rough recreation of a vanished world made by thousands of artists.

I think the Odessey reference doesn't apply to the times they were set it, as Origins is set in late Ptolmeic Egypt centuries later. it could however be Bayek retracing that myth due to it, like everything else of historical note in the Assassins Creed lore, being the key to some superweapon/supercomputer/superhealing device.

I hope I'm wrong though. Archaic Greece would be pretty fun and wide open in terms of interpretation.

And Origins tried some half ass god of war style battles with Mythical creatures. Maybe they will lean into that more.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Odyssey Revealed
17. Re: Assassin's Creed Odyssey Revealed Jun 2, 2018, 10:51 Numinar

Task wrote on Jun 1, 2018, 10:28:
Every Assassin's Creed has fiction in it. Isn't the entire background about Ancient Aliens? All the "gods" usually turn out to be an Alien species.

Well, that is because almost all gods are Aliens, or would be if they were real. Especially if they created the earth, they are by definition not of this world.

News Comments > NetEase Buys Bungie Stake
3. Re: NetEase Buys Bungie Stake Jun 2, 2018, 10:48 Numinar

Jivaro wrote on Jun 2, 2018, 10:08:
I am probably all alone on this but I would love to see a Myth/Myth 2 HD remake as some sort of precursor to a modern Myth game. Even it's just a spiritual successor of sorts.

The world, music and aesthetics of Myth were awesome but there is nothing stopping someone else making that kind of game in another off-brand fantasy world. Easy to do it poorly, or blandly (Myth 3).

I don't like our chances though. Physics heavy 16 player RTS is probably even more niche than normal RTS. Which nobody plays outside the HD remakes and Starcraft 2 and even then not many of them.

Massive team battle where everyone handles a few units and trys to co-ordinate, that was amazing. I wish Total War would do this. Imagine 32 a side with everyone controlling a unit or two. It felt great to contribute and maybe turn a flank whilst chaos happens all around.

Such good games. It's why I stuck with Bungie ever since. Only just stopped throwing money at them, and that's only because there have been so many good releases this year that their DLC dosn't quite get to the top of my buy list.

News Comments > Rising Storm 2: Vietnam Free Weekend
2. Re: Rising Storm 2: Vietnam Free Weekend Jun 1, 2018, 03:46 Numinar

jdreyer wrote on May 31, 2018, 23:26:
Are there bots in this game yet?

Not sure but its a great game. There should be plenty of noobs to play against given how “realism” is so imortant to people these days.

News Comments > Fallout Tease?
14. Re: Fallout Tease? May 30, 2018, 05:35 Numinar

rawbelly wrote on May 29, 2018, 22:10:
Hopefully an engine update with whatever they release. I can't look into Bethesda's dead, expressionless eyes any longer.

I know graphics aren't everything but those characters (TES and FO) have the zombie-like personalities of an 11th grade homeroom class on Monday mornings. All that's missing is the drool running down their faces.

Whiterun... worst club scene ever.

Dude it's the Skooma/chems. Don't worry about it. You would indulge as well if they cut off plumbing, toilet paper and internet.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
1. Re: Gatherings & Competitions May 30, 2018, 05:19 Numinar

That lan sounds amazing. Like Diplomacy turned up to 11. Would suck to pay that money and get smoked early on but maybe your conqueror would risk turning you vassal for the extra manpower in negotiations.  

News Comments > Battlefield V System Specs
17. Re: Battlefield V System Specs May 30, 2018, 05:16 Numinar

I hope that is not minimum. I was hoping not to see my CPU as minimum for a few years.

BF1 runs great on my midspec, hoping this does as well. Got/get a lot of value from BF1, even if it costs as much as 2 games with the maps. Hopefully they have changed their strategy for the better and not in the Battlefront direction.

News Comments > Sea of Thieves The Hungering Deep Launches
1. Re: Sea of Thieves The Hungering Deep Launches May 30, 2018, 01:39 Numinar

Oh awesome, I think I had that flag idea! Just as something else for the lookout to do and to help inter-ship communication and betrayal. Better stock up on Rum and get into it, God of War and BATTLETECH have kept me landlocked too long.  

News Comments > etc., etc.
24. Re: etc., etc. May 27, 2018, 10:59 Numinar

Bludd wrote on May 27, 2018, 07:37:
thecakeisalie wrote on May 26, 2018, 19:40:
Bludd wrote on May 26, 2018, 17:28:
jdreyer wrote on May 26, 2018, 17:13:
Bludd wrote on May 26, 2018, 16:56:
thecakeisalie wrote on May 26, 2018, 16:22:
Hey if you people want to play female bionic commandos wearing Celtic woad warpaint in a game set in WW2, fill your boots. I'm not buying it and I said why. Instead of just letting my comment sit, you felt a need to ridicule me for it. Stay classy.
Hyperbole is a two-way street, dude.

@Bludd, good points, you should post more often.

@Cake, a shame you'll miss out. What will you play instead? Something like Rising Storm 2: Vietnam?
No, I told ya. He'll be playing Chess, probably game 6 of Bobby Fisher vs. Boris Spassky world championship match in 1972. I hope he'll play white because he'll lose otherwise.

@jdreyer, thank you for the compliment

Because personal attacks make you look smart, am I right? But you know, I don't need to stoop to your level mate and I won't because I'm a better person than that. I think instead of playing "chess" and spending money on EA's latest spew I'll play classics like Bad Company 2, one of the last good games EA made, or indie titles from studios that actually try to make a quality product.
We haven't attacked your person, we haven't called you names. We've pointed out that your mantra of historical accuracy is not sustainable and is not a legitimate reason for discounting BFV.

Btw, Bad Company 2 is not historically accurate either.

It's ridiculous that this is even an argument, I don't even understand it. Compared to being able to respawn and hunt down that sniper that just headshot you that you saw in the xray killcam, after spawning in the gunner seat of a biplane and then parachuting on top of them in order to knife them in the ass - having a pair of knockers on your character isn't even on the scale of what a fan concerned with 'realism' should have their knickers in a twist over.

And if it gets more girls to play than that is all the better. I wager it will draw more in than it will lose to any kind of anti SJW boycott, which in the unlikely event that it happens to an appreciable extent it would definitely make the server population far more tolerable given the other inane bullshit that seems to correlate with what is in the minds and comes out unbidden from such fanatic's keyboards.

And if anyone takes this as a slight on their character or beliefs than that is exactly as I intend to be understood.

News Comments > etc., etc.
9. Re: etc., etc. May 26, 2018, 09:40 Numinar

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on May 25, 2018, 18:36:

The fact that people are still losing their shit about female playable characters(or characters with prosthetics, etc.) in a BF game is laughable at this point. This is literally one of the least realistic series of games ever, from day one. If you want semi-realistic gameplay for WWII go play Red Orchestra 2.

I'm tempted to buy BFV purely for the rage it's causing various whiny groups, although the actual gameplay actually sounds really good.

So much this. I actually prefer MP games that intentionally antagonise their more toxic users so less of them stick around.

I try not to hang around with kekistani idiots in life so why would I in games. The less the better. Every game should put in Anita Sarkosian or whatever her name was like Towerfall did. I don't think her criticism is good, but anything to repel those gross vaginaphobes is ok with me.

Plus the old man and I have gotten A LOT of fun out of BF1, I'll wait for reviews given how bad the Star Wars games turned out but BF1 is always fun so I'll at least think about BFV. It's not ARMA and that's ok. We have that for 'Realism' as if anything on a screen can compare to a real deployment. I imagine most the people complaining are not athletic or smart enough to get paid to go shit your pants and get blown up by IED's in Afghanistan.

News Comments > Ancestors Legacy Released
4. Re: Ancestors Legacy Released May 24, 2018, 05:24 Numinar

eRe4s3r wrote on May 23, 2018, 22:07:
Apparently you can be easily satisfied with a ship a world a sandbox and literally no content aside from 3 repeating quests though So clearly a lot of games are in your ballpark ^^

Very few actually. Or at least compared to the number that come out.

You can get reductive about almost any game and if that is all SoT was then it would indeed be boring, and if that's all you see or experience in it then no wonder you would hate it, but it's an amazing framework for hijinks and co-op/pvp if you have the right frame of mind and sometimes that is all you need. I have other games with 'Content' when I'm in the mood for it though few of them are groundbreaking compared to what we got in the late 90's.

SoT is doing it's own thing really well, though there are many areas that can be tweaked and improved. It's a technical marvel and as with PUBG, it's one of the few games that can surprise and fill me with fear and elation in unpredictable ways due to the way the MP works.

But yeah, if I want to see numbers go up or have a story or try to reach the top of a leaderboard there are plenty of moribund genres to explore. I just wish more studios were able to take the risk on something new and fun.

News Comments > We Happy Few Refused Classification in AU
12. Re: We Happy Few Refused Classification in AU May 23, 2018, 05:15 Numinar

ventry wrote on May 22, 2018, 19:37:
jdreyer wrote on May 22, 2018, 14:17:
The Australian government is planning to implement nationwide the plot from We Happy Few and wants no one to be the wiser.

@Ventry, nice country you got there mate.

It's bloody great mate!!!
However, we, as it is with most "western" countries, are being invaded by limp wristed, snowflake, lefty fun police.

The battle continues.

Aren't you US citizens lucky to have Donald Trump as POTUS.
He slaps the taste right out of those snowflakes mouths.

Trump 2020
Shapiro 2024.

I believe it's the legacy of puritanical Protestantism that infests the class of people (Or at least the powerful religious voting blocks they need to maintain control) that believe they should run the country behind the compromises in the legislation that gave us R18.

It was those pesky servants of the Queen, the State Governors, that put up a fight against the new classification in the first place.

Could be wrong though. Still, it's nice to live in a country where almost nobody has guns and I never have to think about my family or I getting shot or shooting themselves. So I think we still have a good deal. For now.

966 Comments. 49 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo