Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Vince

Real Name Vince   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Numinar
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2006, 06:24
Total Comments 920 (Graduate)
User ID 24402

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > DARK SOULS REMASTERED Discount for Owners of Prepare to Die Edition
3. Re: DARK SOULS REMASTERED Discount for Owners of Prepare to Die Edition Apr 25, 2018, 00:36 Numinar

Dravnt wrote on Apr 24, 2018, 23:19:
So does this mean they've "remastered" the controls? I got Dark Souls 2, played it for a minute or two and immediately turned it off. I don't play console games and I don't use the game pad so for me, Dark Souls was not very well optimized when it came to controlling the game.

You don't play DCS with an xbox controller or Streetfighter with a mouse either. Some games are made for controller. To make it work as well with controller as the very different mouse is ridiculous and would water down the design. I have games that do both, but rarely both well and when they do it's usually a design a few notches down in intensity compared to the best in genre. (Batman and Asscreed mostly get away with it, and I love those games but the combat is no Darksouls)

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Interviews
6. Re: Skyrim Creation Club Launches with Survival Mode Apr 25, 2018, 00:32 Numinar

NKD wrote on Apr 24, 2018, 19:15:
Kajetan wrote on Apr 24, 2018, 16:01:
Why all the hate? Has he done anything to you?

Oh I'm sorry I didn't realize someone had to rape and murder me before I was allowed to think they are shit.

No, but it's a voluntary transaction. I'm a fan of DF originals and remakes, but they don't all work out. I have never given them a dollar in crowdfunding though.

It's like getting angry at a poker machine for not paying out. Game development is a gamble. Even the best teams have failures and canceled projects. The weakness of kickstarter is that you are committed to them regardless. Save your money, buy things when they release and get reviews. No anger or disapointment. Easy.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
13. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 18, 2018, 22:31 Numinar

whitelined wrote on Apr 18, 2018, 16:28:
G sync is much stricter for monitor manufacturers to comply, thus easier to buy a better quality monitor. Freesync less so, but things getting better.

When I built my last PC in late 2015, the Gsync version of my ASUS panel cost 30% more. I'm pretty sure both monitors were identical other than the price tag and a little proprietary Nvidia chip in the monitor. If you are telling me that little chip is worth 300 dollars than no Nvidia card is competitive because you need something a quarter or more of it's cost in your monitor and also I don't believe you.

At the time people could pick out Gsynch in blind tests, but the difference, again, was not 300 dollars worth of quality.

So I got an AMD card. And because Nvidia are not VESA compliant and support freesync, I am unlikely to ever switch until my 1400p monitor needs replacing, so they are out of contention for a few years at least. Not that they care with 90% of the market (And all those people locked into their GPU's because of monitor purchase). And if their monitors still require that premium for functionality that is all but on par with the open source version? Forget about it. That's hundreds of dollars that can go elsewhere into the build or to some scotch or something.

The 390x is still doing great and it's cold enough here that the extra heat is welcome. I tell everyone buying now though that you want variable refresh regardless of which way you go. Everything is just so much more... solid.

I'll probably re-assess the whole thing when HDR PC monitors settle down.

News Comments > A Way Out Sells 1M
16. Re: A Way Out Sells 1M Apr 15, 2018, 09:33 Numinar

HoSpanky wrote on Apr 15, 2018, 09:12:
Slick wrote on Apr 15, 2018, 07:58:
Apparently, EA doesn't even make money from this. Yes, you read that right. They recoup all the development costs and then everything after that goes straight to the developer.

That....that doesn't seem like something EA would ever consider doing. Where's the part where they buy the Indie studio, forcing them to make weak sequels until they're no longer profitable, and then dissolve the studio?

IP/Tech/talent development/multi-project deal? Some kind of tax break? If true I'm sure there is something they get/got.

Brothers was/is amazing and everyone should play it. This game seems a lot rougher but still interesting.

Nice to see something new once in a while.

News Comments > PC Shenmue I and II Announced
7. Re: PC Shenmue I and II Announced Apr 15, 2018, 05:23 Numinar

Not much of a game but an amazing achievement anyway (I never played II). I lived in Japan 20 years after the game was set but I swear some rural and industrial parts of that country are almost exactly as they were in that title, or at least in terms of architecture and weird independent combinis with fridges full of fish products.  

News Comments > Warhammer: Vermintide 2 Sells 1M
18. Re: Warhammer: Vermintide 2 Sells 1M Apr 14, 2018, 03:48 Numinar

Dash wrote on Apr 13, 2018, 03:32:
Tumbler wrote on Apr 12, 2018, 15:17:
Was there any news on why this started out at 29.99? Hitting 1 million sales seems like a big deal, I don't remember much about the original and didn't know they were making a sequel...

And how come Warhammer keeps getting kick ass games but Warhammer 40k keeps missing the mark? Can we start asking companies that put out good Warhammer games to follow up with a 40k add on or something?

Getting really fucking jealous over here.

FFS, even blood bowl is more fun than most 40k games I've tried lately.

Well, need to remember, GW's Golden Boy for 40K [THQ] went under and was chopped up/sold off. So now they're kind of casting a wider net, but limiting what can really be done.

We've had a few different games since then that are good, but hard to hold interest in. [Battlefleet Gothic: Armada springs to mind.] And they'll sell regardless if they're good or not, because people love the IP for 40K.

It'd be GREAT if we got more 'Space Marine'-type games, rather than more RTS games. We've got Inquisitor on its way and I'm assuming a number of others in the works. I enjoyed Deathwing for what it was, but it needed more. Hell. I'd be happy if another company got their hands on the 40K IP and the assets for that MMO that they were working on 8 years ago. Or, a proper Planetside2 clone [Not Eternal Crusade. That ... mmm. -.-]

And I just snagged Blood Bowl, so may take a poke at that. Heard the RNG likes to pin players down and bone them. -.-

BB is dice/RNG based, but managing that IS the game. Forcing your opponent to make as many dice rolls as possible while executing plans that minimize your own is the whole game. If your opponent is outplaying you so hard the RNG is involuntarily impregnating you, you've lost before you even rolled that dice.

News Comments > Underworld Ascendant Videos
5. Re: Underworld Ascendant Videos Apr 14, 2018, 03:20 Numinar

Holy crap, it sounds like these guys actually get it!

Fingers crossed it works out!

News Comments > New Sea of Thieves Content Next Month
2. Re: New Sea of Thieves Content Next Month Apr 14, 2018, 03:17 Numinar

Prez wrote on Apr 13, 2018, 21:26:
That's more like it. I was shocked at their response to the outcry from unhappy customers - basically that there was a plan to soon have a plan - indicating that at least someone at Rare (or maybe Microsoft?) genuinely thought the game was fine as is at launch and were surprised at the discontent, which is simply astounding.

I imagine they had post-release support planned but the depth of discontent and negative press might have forced them to re-evaluate and prioritize to get the most useful stuff out ASAP. A new public event makes the most sense as the one they have is the source of most of the best shenanigans I continue to have most nights.

Although maybe your story is the correct one, or something else was going on. I doubt they had nothing planned though. It's not like they have another announced game they have to put all their devs on immediately.

News Comments > Into the Black
3. Re: Into the Black Apr 12, 2018, 06:21 Numinar

I need the next book! Or at least more novellas! Love the show, impeccable casting (or maybe it seems that way because most the books were written after the awesome show started filming).

News Comments > Destiny 2 Warmind Expansion Next Month
4. Re: Destiny 2 Warmind Expansion Next Month Apr 12, 2018, 03:50 Numinar

I am a notorious Bungie apologist but I haven't seen anything yet to make me want to get the PC version and the DLC. Not while there are so many other games I want to play. Hopefully when they release their year 1 collection with a nice chunky expansion I'll get to do all this content.

Got over 100 hours on the PS4. I'm sure it's even more fun at 1400/60fps or whatever I end up running it at but it can wait. At least until a new Raid!

Vermintide 2 is super impressive. I hope the Bungie peeps are playing it. It's just 13 strike-equivalents with some good randomisation, distinct difficulty levels and appropriate rewards and some good optional push-your-luck for better loot roll mechanics. If Destiny strikes were like that it would be amazing. it makes the trash and boss encounters exciting in a way Destiny isn't anymore.

News Comments > Shovel Knight Sells 2M
1. Re: Shovel Knight Sells 2M Apr 12, 2018, 02:20 Numinar

Waiting for the Shovel Knight movie staring William H Macy reprising his finest role.  

News Comments > DCS World 2.5 Released
16. Re: DCS World 2.5 Released Apr 8, 2018, 23:30 Numinar

egg_mcmuffin wrote on Apr 8, 2018, 22:45:
Rilcon wrote on Apr 8, 2018, 22:30:
Assuming my only interest is in WW2 and I'm looking for something that can feel realistic without needing to go through a 25-step checklist just to start the engine, should I go with this or the latest IL-2 (or something else entirely)?

I've been out of the "sim" game for over a decade; didn't have space for a flightstick on my desk anymore...

I would go for it, the normandy map is my favorite. It really is beautiful. There is a quick-start shortcut for all planes so you can skip the long start procedures (its windows + home...I think, I use voice attack so not sure on exact keys, sorry).

Oh man good to know. Itís much harder to get that spit in the air than in cliffs of Dover. The tutorials make you restart if you make any mistakes.

Also there are zero concessions for not having trackIR. Iím not sure padlock view controls on the hat cut it, cannot read some of the dials for the preflight checks and when trying to zig zag on taxi to see the where Iím going Iím working throttle, wheel breaks and rudder and have no fingers left for view controls! Might finally be time to bite the bullet and get one.

News Comments > Sea of Thieves Planning Content Plans
19. Re: Sea of Thieves Planning Content Plans Apr 7, 2018, 05:57 Numinar

*WARNING: Inbound defense of a digital miracle that I have and will continue to spend at least half my gaming time on for the forSEAable future*

You guys like Euro Truck Simulator 2 don't you? It's about taking shit to different places and getting paid. Except in this there are other truckers and they can fuck you up and steal your shit or you can do that to them. And it's full of Rare-ass-whimsy.

And it's got problems. And the stuff you can buy is too expensive. And they should have cut the grind to a quarter of what it is. And the most interesting islands are crying out for a fun raid like activity. And getting people to join an in-progress game is messed up right now.

And it's amazing. It looks amazing. The weather, wave and lighting effects are through the fucking roof.

And don't spend 60 USD/100 AUD on it. What MP games are worth that? THAT is nonsense. But you can sign up for game pass and play for 14 days free and see if you are as READY FOR THIS SHIT as I was (Probably the MS plan all along).

You could also join a crew that has convinced another two crews to join them on a boat and get drunk in the game which, combined with your real life alcoholism gives you nausea like it's the Rift dev kit 1 all over again. And then you can convince them to wear the shortest of pants and strike fear into an ocean of unsuspecting future friends. You can steal a chicken off a guy with a southern accent and then spend the next two hours harassing him with taunts of how you murdered his chicken bride. You can be chased by a ship of Chinese lads, and escape by driving past a boat of racist Australians, profiting from their enmity by being able to escape and sell you miserable amount of treasure that will pay for 1/70th of the fancy green sails you want.

Ok it's still pretty fucked but it is unique and their dedication to horizontal upgrades may cripple them in many ways, but I belive it's definitely the right choice in an OCEAN of games that do the numbers go up bullshit with wanton mediocrity and hopefully they can bring it home.

It's also a game I can play with my 8 year old Daughter and 61 year old dad or internet strangers or alone and it's all fun.

Digital Fucking Miracle.

News Comments > Get Crusader Kings Free Thorough Steam
14. Re: Get Crusader Kings Free Thorough Steam Apr 6, 2018, 19:32 Numinar

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Apr 6, 2018, 12:49:
This is a great move to hook people for 100$ of DLCS...

You're thinking, how could that possibly be tru.... Laugh2

6 years of post release support, that represents more than 100 dollars of value. I cannot imagine many people have ever bought everything, and if they had they did it over a period of time informed by what they were getting by what they had received in the past. Most the DLC features go into the base game already along with ongoing optimisations and fixes. Itís all optional and regularly on steep discount with only the most recent DLC hard to get on the cheap.

The music/art picks can go eat a dick. Which is sad as the music is great and the sprites helpful. But the big portion of that DLC is quality shit you can get after youíve broken your teeth on the meat of the main game, which is more than fully featured.

The free to play model probably is the way to go for them, but as an earned strategy they have already done the work for.

The bandwagon on criticising the DLC policy is so out of whack. Grab the free fucking game and enjoy the shit out of it (if you are happy to sink a few dozen hours into failing and learning, PCMR oldschool style)) and ignore the DLC you pagan filth.

News Comments > Star Control Origins Trailer
9. Re: Star Control Origins Trailer Apr 6, 2018, 09:55 Numinar

My anus is still sore after Star Control 3.

I hope this game (And the toys for bob one, if it ever happens) work out but I wouldn't put any money on it. I will await the reviews and quicklooks/streams.

11. Re: Get Crusader Kings Free Thorough Steam Apr 6, 2018, 09:51 Numinar

The pickle they are in, and I think the DLC model is awesome (Except hiding music and sprites in separate purchases, but just ignore them) Is that CK2 after 5-6 years or whatever is so content and feature rich that no new release could compare. And the current engine is more than capable of rendering everything nicely. It's almost like World of Warcraft, there is almost no way a sequel could exist and look good compared to the previous entry. I think Payday 2 and Eurotruck 2 will have this same problem.

For anyone thinking about it, the vanilla game is amazing without any additional DLC. See if you like playing the christian "crusader" kings of Europe and after that, if you sink 50 hours in and want more, wait for a 66% off DLC sale (Which happens 6 times a year) and go for the Viking DLC and Charlegmagne DLC which give you earlier start points and I can personally vouch for them as being worth dozens or hundreds of hours of value each. Want a different culture and playstyle? Islamic, Jewish, Italian republics, Byzantine, Indian and other DLC exists. But each one is good for hundreds of hours of fun.

News Comments > Fighting Rainbow Six Siege Toxicity
8. Re: Fighting Rainbow Six Siege Toxicity Apr 6, 2018, 00:34 Numinar

Timmeh wrote on Apr 5, 2018, 09:15:
Numinar wrote on Apr 4, 2018, 23:36:
Free speech is super important but if I wan't to read the Brietbart comments section I'll go there, I don't need it in my games.

If they ban casual swearing then I'm fucked though. How can I expect to be murdered and murder repeatedly without a few f and c bombs?

Nobody needs to be called a variant of "homosexual black person" though, not even homosexual black people if they dared to identify as such online. Not the way these pricks say it. Come on. The ToS of this very site would cover this kind of behavior, something similar should be enforced in games.

You would be surprised to learn that nearly all of what you think is bretbart ... which I assume you are racially profiling to mean white males using the offensive language is actually black males and or actual people of the sexually diverse nature.

They also love spewing the N word like it was the word "the".

I don't know who the people on shitty online forums are other than that they are shitty people based on their words (I doubt black people are cheering on cops murdering them or calling for their deportation to Liberia). In open game chat I can make a pretty good guess based on accent and intent and they are rarely PoC.

I'd just want some common sense shit, like the ToS on this forum, enforced. I know the world is full of shitty people, but they tend to get asked to leave/thrown out of the places I go in real life if they start violently spewing their bullshit. Should be the same in my online spaces.

4. Re: Get Crusader Kings Free Thorough Steam Apr 6, 2018, 00:28 Numinar

It's so good. I've never been great at it but taking my ancestral Irish backwater into attempted imperial greatness never gets old.  

News Comments > Fighting Rainbow Six Siege Toxicity
3. Re: Fighting Rainbow Six Siege Toxicity Apr 4, 2018, 23:36 Numinar

Free speech is super important but if I wan't to read the Brietbart comments section I'll go there, I don't need it in my games.

If they ban casual swearing then I'm fucked though. How can I expect to be murdered and murder repeatedly without a few f and c bombs?

Nobody needs to be called a variant of "homosexual black person" though, not even homosexual black people if they dared to identify as such online. Not the way these pricks say it. Come on. The ToS of this very site would cover this kind of behavior, something similar should be enforced in games.

News Comments > Sea of Thieves Patch
1. Re: Sea of Thieves Patch Apr 4, 2018, 23:07 Numinar

That second one isnít a change, but a good UI tweak.

Found a whole beach full of unguarded treasure the other day from someone that had obviously wrecked and needed to recover their ship to reclaim it all. I got most of it before I saw the tall sails on the other side of the island, shat myself and escaped with multiple gunshot wounds. Good piratey times!

920 Comments. 46 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo