Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Vince

Real Name Vince   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Numinar
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2006, 06:24
Total Comments 716 (Apprentice)
User ID 24402

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Dungeon Defenders II This Month
4. Re: Dungeon Defenders II This Month Jun 1, 2017, 23:28 Numinar

Also why remove spilt screen for the PC? You know, the place where the horsepower and resolution make split screen awesome? Just because PvZ does it this way? Well, DD2 wont get my money either.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > More on Far Cry 5
7. Re: More on Far Cry 5 May 26, 2017, 21:46 Numinar

Agent-Zero wrote on May 26, 2017, 21:24:
so... how many quests will involve POLYGAMY???

and how many wives do you have to collect to unlock the super shotgun?

3, and you get the gold skin if their average age is 14 or lower.

News Comments > Game Reviews
25. Re: Game Reviews May 26, 2017, 03:57 Numinar

I thought that first Prey game was awesome. I never replayed it but it's one of the few shooters from the last 12 years I actually remember playing and enjoying. Some fantastic set pieces and one-off gimmicks that helped it feel fresh through it's rather lengthy run.

I think the Bioshocks are awesome but flawed, and nobody seems to have actually contested Slick's point that the new Prey is a competent but unspectacular me to game so if I actually had it on my wishlist I would take it off. Thanks for the inoculation shot Slick! I've fallen for the "I hate this competent but repetitive game I can't bring myself to finish" positive steam review trap more than I'd like to admit.

News Comments > Steel Division: Normandy 44 Launches
2. Re: Steel Division: Normandy 44 Launches May 24, 2017, 11:33 Numinar

I'm wondering now that Paradox is funding these mad frenchmen a theater specific Hearts of Iron style campaign mode could tie these battles together in the future...

Production quality seems to have taken a nose dive since Red Dragon, not in terms of graphics or sound or UI (Which seem improved) but in terms of content though it seems appropriately priced. Even Red Dragon dropped the co-op campaign from Airland Battle.

I hope Eugen can find their feet again and start delivering that same crazy kitchen sink style Wargame experience in the future, though the detail and attention you can give units and terrain when you pick a specific place and time is pretty awesome.

Eastern Front, Africa, Italy. Lots of places it could go. As with ARMA though my favorite setting is the pre 90's stuff alla Wargame EE. Maybe some fictional 50's setting on the Korean peninsular could work, could tie in all the fun post war gear from all the major players there. They already have a fair bit of research from RD ready to go!

Loved the beta, will try campaign tomorrow (Stupid slow internet)

News Comments > IO Interactive Layoffs
1. Re: IO Interactive Layoffs May 23, 2017, 10:40 Numinar

Ship an amazing game and get fired! Wow!

I don't think any of them will have trouble landing a new job after the Hitman home run. But moving states/countries can be super annoying and any period of unemployment sucks even with insurance and now they are separated from an IP which they had just 'solved' and probably could have released content on for years. If more people had bought it that is... I guess too much good stuff came out last year.

News Comments > Far Cry 5's Montana Setting Revealed
12. Re: Far Cry 5's Montana Setting Revealed May 23, 2017, 10:02 Numinar

Beamer wrote on May 23, 2017, 09:50:

I'm excited for the controversy of the new setting. While I'd wager they're going after everyone to some extent, I'd also wager the bulk of this is aimed at hyperconservative militias. I mean, it's Wyoming, it factually has hyperconservative militia groups, but doesn't factually have a significant amount of hyperliberals. Would not be surprised to have the main character be one, perhaps native American, or if they didn't learn their lesson from FC3, an obnoxious privileged white college kid that everyone finds at least slightly off-putting and Ubi later claims was a parody that went over our heads.

Yeah everyone hates the FC3 story. I think it might have been the best. I don't think I'm super smart or anything, and maybe I am reading into it, but I thought the douchebags in FC3 were awesome. The heroes journey was all about that kid realising what a douchebag he and his friends are and how he was starting to enjoy the murder (Which seemed a pretty cool mirror to games in general, the same theme drove Hotline Miami).

News Comments > Destiny 2 Gameplay Trailer
13. Re: Destiny 2 Gameplay Trailer May 19, 2017, 01:25 Numinar

Fell off the Destiny train a few years ago. I am super hyped to get back in though on PC.

This trailer feels like old Bungie, I think this is the only game I am super excited about this year. Could be a bit bait and switchy again but hopefully they have tightened up their production process and the thinness of D1 post release is due to all the love this game has been getting.

Hell, if it's only as good as D1 but at 60fps I think I'm ready for that but... no. I cannot hope for more. I cannot afford another hype-stroke.

Edit: If I was on their marketing team I would suggest they rename battle.net to bungie.net for a week at release as a joke and homage.

News Comments > Chet Faliszek Leaves Valve
16. Re: Chet Faliszek Leaves Valve May 3, 2017, 05:28 Numinar

JSP wrote on May 2, 2017, 21:01:
Half-Life 3 is in fact Steam, through which all the heuristic data and habits of PC usage and management figures are being harvested as we speak as part of the takeover by a hostile extra-dimension entity.

Oh shit this is actually scary! The combine will have us right where they want us, our wealth and free time spent on frivolous entertainment, distancing ourselves from society instead of working out, learning to shoot and maintain real guns without hitscan properties or building community networks that can later form resistance cells.

...diabolocal!

News Comments > Chet Faliszek Leaves Valve
13. Re: Chet Faliszek Leaves Valve May 2, 2017, 20:27 Numinar

Hump wrote on May 2, 2017, 18:53:
Marc Laidlaw, Wolpaw and now Chet.

Pretty much puts the nail in the coffin of getting a HL3.

We've had HL3 for years, it's called Metro LL. It's pretty cool.

News Comments > Alien: Isolation 2 Rumor Disputed
6. Re: Alien: Isolation 2 Rumor Disputed Apr 28, 2017, 04:50 Numinar

I am super bummed.

You made something amazing Sega, maybe it didn't make much money but you could have leveraged that talent and a bit more marketing to create something even better. Hope the dudes who made it land on their feet.

The VR implementation was pretty good as well. If they had gone all the way RESI7 PSVR style and polished it up, it would have been amazing. Maybe not worth it in terms of VR sales but surely the marketing attention would have made it worth while. Oh well.

News Comments > Batman: Arkham VR Released
1. Re: Batman: Arkham VR Released Apr 26, 2017, 06:37 Numinar

Had such high hopes for this, a series of predator sequences from all three games in VR would have been a home run, but this doesn't seem like that at all.  

News Comments > Alien Isolation Sequel Rumored
31. Re: Alien Isolation Sequel Rumored Apr 26, 2017, 05:47 Numinar

A lot of people hating on that first game, and I understand why. I am NOT into horror games at all, or movies for that matter, but for some reason this franchise is an exception in film and on PC.

I thought every aspect of it was phenomenal. No quick-saving your way through that baby! Art, sound, controls, animation. Wow. Maybe not best in class but so consistently immersive and well thought out, at least in the bit's I've done so far!

I put it under Alien 1 as an Alien experience, but above A2. Movies I both love dearly for their attention to detail and story telling.

The interactivity of hiding and peaking under a desk or table at the man in the rubber suit gives me the willies more than anything in film has ever done. It really justifies it's existence as a "Game" and this, a first person game from Creative Assembly! Holy Shit!

I'm such a pussy, I need to go back and finish it but there is not enough alcohol courage in the world to do this at the moment. I've been doing it bit by bit for the last 3 years. I need to close my eyes whenever the thing finds me, it's just too fucking real. And it's been a while since my wife did her last CPR refresh course, I'll time my next go for that. Or keep thinking of excuses. Fuck it, day off tomorrow, I'll try again tonight.

It is an amazing, intentionally uncomfortable experience, but unlike the arbitrary monster closet body horror bullshit of most "Horror" games I've tried, it's got a Spelunky-like set of rules, environment and AI behaviour which can be learnt and exploited in order to make progress.

If I was workshopping pre-production of this game I'd suggest a mid-game interlude of space marine bad ass power tripping nonsense and then yank that away from you for the end. Then it would be an awesome homage to the first two films instead of just the first.

Glad they are making a new one, those magnificent fuckers at CA have my attention, bigly.

News Comments > More Star Wars Battlefront II Details
20. Re: More Star Wars Battlefront II Details Apr 17, 2017, 05:29 Numinar

Slick wrote on Apr 17, 2017, 03:05:
Nucas wrote on Apr 17, 2017, 01:04:
RoboNerd wrote on Apr 16, 2017, 19:24:
"and how in Star Wars, anyone can become a hero"

That is provided they are female...

8 star wars movies, 2 female leads. oh no, girls are ruining star wars.

i'd muse on why so many of you nerds have such a complex about girls and girl-coded concepts but it's not exactly rocket science.

Don't even get me started on how much genuine hate people had that there was a black character in TFA. A whole galaxy, and they managed to find a second black guy other than Lando, and people lost their minds.

Please dear god content creators, shove the diversity LGBTQ rod so far up their asses that they start to puke rainbows. Had enough of these racist sexist fuckers acting like they own the place.

I'm with this sentiment ever since I saw the rage the Towerfall people got for putting in a homage to that bad documentary making feminist. Like, I think her product is mostly garbage with a hint of an uncomfortable truth but to boycott one of the most amazing couch games ever because of a sprite you wouldn't know was her unless you read it online is ridiculous, and my joy at their angry tears continues to amuse me every day. I hope we get 8 years of Trump failing them because that is my second favorite taste of rage. Imagining those bulging veins in their forehead as the stress takes minutes of their life makes me happy. Maybe that's wrong but I cannot help it.

News Comments > More Star Wars Battlefront II Details
19. Re: More Star Wars Battlefront II Details Apr 17, 2017, 05:21 Numinar

Unlike some of the vaginaphobes here, I don't mind female leads but Rey has another movie or two to get to be called "Iconic" (Though compared to many aspects of that new film, she was actually really good). Luke and Vader had it easy as they were in the first movie of it's kind.

Wasn't into the last BFSW game, though it was pretty. I love BF1 though and this product seems even more fully featured.

News Comments > Destiny 2 in September; PC Included
10. Re: Destiny 2 in September; PC Included Mar 31, 2017, 03:57 Numinar

Not sure if they are changing the format for number 2, but though progression and loot are rather borderlandsy (less random/varied but more bespoke and I think cooler) the structure is far less open, though there was some attempts at making the open areas interesting for free-roam (Rarely successful, but I did have some good times cruising around meeting whoever).

The levels tend to be linear but wide, like the larger Halo encounters, with some kind of boss action and some wave based encounters strewn throughout. The missions re-use areas, but often start in different parts and end in more unique mission specific areas that are closed off other times.

There were also some cool raids and some other stuff. It's mostly 3 player co-op. Shooting feels Halo awesome and weapon feel even more sublime considering the variety of weapons. Some of the unique were super fun to earn and use. The raids were 6 player and more mission types supporting that player count would be nice now that they have dropped PS3/360 support.

News Comments > Destiny 2 PC Hype?
20. Re: Destiny 2 PC Hype? Mar 31, 2017, 02:39 Numinar

CJ_Parker wrote on Mar 30, 2017, 20:07:
Hype? LOL

Why would there be hype over a casual consolized as fuck garbage FPS sequel, the first part of which never made it to PC? They can fuck right off with this crap is what they can.

Wow you REALLY don't like this kind of shooter do you? Actually even with all it's flaws and tuning for controller, I would hold it up against most PC FPS games modern and old.

Good art direction and attention to detail with weapon and movement tuning does not seem overly common on any platform these days. I feel like enemy AI/reactivity suffers a little compared to their older games due to the online-ness but the lag tolerance is much better than the older games and probably makes up for it.

No it's not the disembodied gun floating in space, spinning 360 degrees in 0.1 seconds and railgunning someone in the face kind of shooter, but we have heaps of them already and I find them kind of boring now in any case.

Bad Bungie has and will continue to earn more money off of me than most devs on a good day, and I will probably follow them to whatever platform they decide to go to town on. Luckily, for the first time since Myth:The Fallen Lords, they are coming to me!

News Comments > Battlefield 1 DLC Sharing
3. Re: Battlefield 1 DLC Sharing Mar 31, 2017, 02:10 Numinar

Awesome. I haven't gotten the premium yet, and now I don't have to! Good value considering the hundred odd hours I've spent on this game, but there are always other, newer or more alcoholic things I can buy with the not insubstantial asking price.

Lack of progression is sad but at least I can play the maps with the old man. Great game.

News Comments > The Witness for OS X Observed
4. Re: The Witness for OS X Observed Mar 26, 2017, 04:55 Numinar

MacLeod wrote on Mar 25, 2017, 15:53:
Bundy wrote on Mar 25, 2017, 15:49:
Thought I would be really into this game but I was disappointed. I thought it was supposed to be an island of puzzles. But it was just hundreds of the exact same puzzle, the island was basically just background. Would have been better if the environment was the puzzles

I had the same issue. It was just different variations of the same puzzle. And most the time, it wasn't trying to figure out the puzzle that took the longest, but the exact rules of what the new variation was.

Even that wouldn't have bothered me so much if there weren't SO many puzzles. Literally to open one part of a path, of which there were about 8 different things to open, each section was like 10 puzzles long. It was honestly boring me to death trying to play it.

I got stuck on the sound section, but I loved this game and the game seems to go out of it's way to teach you the puzzles. The reason there are so many as that almost every puzzle in the game is a tutorial for another set of puzzles. Maybe it didn't ramp up fast enough for you but they can get really tricky after the first few areas, and very satisfying for my age and booze addled brain to work out.

The game doesn't prevent you from playing them out of order either for the most part, but usually you know that by the fact you have no idea whats going on.

And though the maze puzzles are the only puzzles, they get embedded in and interact with the environment in surprising ways. The totems scattered around the island track and give clues to the environment puzzles nearby. One of the guys from Giantbomb even finished the game without realising the other half of the game was right in front of him the whole time.

One of the best games I've ever played. Very unique and polished. Now mac snobs can play as well!

News Comments > Destiny 2 in September?
7. Re: Destiny 2 in September? Mar 24, 2017, 01:48 Numinar

I think it's an amazing looking game as well, way up there. I'm definitely excited for D2. I've been on the Bungie bandwagon since Myth and I think their attention to detail has been astounding in almost every release.

What Destiny lacked in PC grunt/technical prowess it made up with in art design, like older Blizzard games. It needed to run on X360 and PS3 remember, and apparently did it very well.

Although there is a lot of terrain in that game you replay it all again and again forever, so the art design and the fact that it feels amazing (unless you are allergic to a controller based FPS like most of you guys here) is what has kept it's fanbase mostly intact despite never getting close to matching the promise of it's art and marketing.

News Comments > Arma 3 Free and Paid DLC Plans
1. Re: Arma 3 Free and Paid DLC Plans Mar 22, 2017, 21:28 Numinar

Awesome. I need to get back into this. I wish I had the patience to mod and find a group, and I'm a little nonplussed by the near future setting and co-op campaign in the last release, but happy the platform continues to get some love. Malden DLC sounds awesome so fingers crossed.  

716 Comments. 36 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo