Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Vince

Real Name Vince   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Numinar
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2006, 06:24
Total Comments 571 (Apprentice)
User ID 24402

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Top 10
8. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 11, 2016, 03:12 Numinar

Yeah why the doom hate? It's tastefully informed by all the good things that have happened since Doom 2 whilst keeping it's own sense of purpose. It even solves some of the annoying shit from those early games with the piņata health and ammo system, like furious back-pedalling and quick saving being the main strategies for success.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Gone Gold - No Man's Sky
26. Re: Gone Gold - No Man's Sky Jul 8, 2016, 01:41 Numinar

I'm a big fan of Elite so if this game brings anything fresh to the genre and is good for a dozen hours or more of star jumping I'm in.

But yeah who pre-orders anything these days?

News Comments > Independence Day Consolidation
3. Re: Independence Day Consolidation Jul 5, 2016, 09:05 Numinar

I don't think it had Myst, but pretty sure it had Ultima 8, Strike Commander, the first few Wing Commanders and Syndicate with American Assault. There were 12 in total, including games I cannot remember the names of, like this 3d first person game with eye of the beholder movement set on a spaceship that I never got anywhere with. Felt worth the 600 AUD by themselves.

I think I got Rebel Assault in one of those awesome Lucasarts bundles. Played the crap out of that. Having bad flashbacks to the Hoth Speeder caves just thinking about it. It looked ugly and played like a dog but it felt like you were in the Star Wars so that was great. You slogged through the whole game to get to that sweet sweet trench run.

Oh and Mechwarrior came with the Sidewinder 3d Pro joystick, that was another awesome pack in that seemed like fantastic value at the time, but PC hardware and software prices have become so much more reasonable than they were back then, at least in Australia. Even without calculating inflation, min. wages have almost doubled but games have stayed the same/gotten cheaper in most cases. Paying 80 bucks AUD for Sam and Max in 93 would be like plonking 140 dollars down these days. Sucks if you finished in a weekend, glad I got stuck a few times to be honest.

News Comments > Independence Day Consolidation
1. Re: Independence Day Consolidation Jul 5, 2016, 05:45 Numinar

I shudder to think what our Amiga or Pentium 60 cost adjusted... (Not to mention the first cd-rom/sound card bundle, at least it had some good games!)  

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Jun 30, 2016, 01:37 Numinar

ZeroPike1 wrote on Jun 29, 2016, 05:56:
Will it be better or worse then the Adam Sandler train wreck: Pixels?

Any taker's?

It will almost certainly be better unless Adam Sandler himself is involved with it. Maybe it will be like Battleship? An abstract excuse to do whatever the fuck you want. I would make it some B grade body horror with Tetris blocks falling from the sky and fucking everyone up until someone works out how to arrange them and the climax involves a last minute longo as the last best hope for humanity.

It's really hard to be worse than anything Adam Sandler has touched.

Not hating or anything, seems like a nice guy. He had another movie where Shadow of the Colossus was a main character, so he has taste, but god damn have I regretted every film of his I've had the misfortune of attempting to watch.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
5. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 29, 2016, 08:24 Numinar

Yeah weird. Seems hard to stuff up, considering how pretty those original games were/still are and how nice AK runs on PS4. One of my favorite series. Smells like devs promising results for cheap and then finding out it's way more work than it seemed on paper.

I wonder if they could keep the original assets along with whatever tweaks they are doing and just bump it to 1080/60 for consoles as an option? (Like the Halo and Monkey Island remakes) I have them on steam but it would be cool to have them all sitting on the console.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
10. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 26, 2016, 19:15 Numinar

Bought Wolfenstein after enjoying Doom immensely.

Lame port though, I can run Doom up in the 80-90 FPS zone at 1400p with freesync preventing tearing, but Wolf runs super fast with tearing or super janky with vsynch on. Haven't refunded as I really want to dig my teeth into the awesome setting but I'm super pissed off.

Anyone with a 390x or similar work these issues out? Doom was a dog at launch for this card as well but a driver update a little while afterwards made it perfect.

News Comments > Shovel Knight Free Campaign Plans
1. Re: Shovel Knight Free Campaign Plans Jun 23, 2016, 05:53 Numinar

Coincidence or adroitly timed to pick up spurned Mighty Number 9 backers?

This game is legit.

News Comments > Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Outlaw Sectors DLC
7. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Outlaw Sectors DLC Jun 22, 2016, 23:14 Numinar

Oh man I might fire this up, seeing this and Men of War:Assault Squad 2 patch up today was uplifting.

A good modern DX12 engine and planetary Systems like in Stellaris would be great in a sequel, and some more dynamic stuff like independently animated turrets and hit and homeworld-esque combat for the (already fantastic looking+sounding but static) ships would be great as well. The UI in this game is fantastic.

Also a Homeworld-style single player campaign would be good. Or maybe something more open ended to suit the scale of the game. lots of places they could go with it.

News Comments > Civilization VI's Unstacked Cities
14. Re: Civilization VI's Unstacked Cities Jun 21, 2016, 09:26 Numinar

It's an area that needs to be messed with, even if it already worked ok previously just to mix up the visuals a little. Reduce worker micro, make terrain look more varied. Civ Rev, IV and V all visualize city improvements well, but it doesn't stop the rest of the world from looking like cut and paste blandness. (At least the rail and road spam from II has yet to return).

To be fair, from the air, everything in the world does seem to be copy and paste blandness within any given region.

News Comments > PC Destiny Still Possible
56. Re: PC Destiny Still Possible Jun 19, 2016, 01:27 Numinar

descender wrote on Jun 18, 2016, 13:51:
When Halo 1 was released it basically had zero competition and that was a major reason for it's success and popularity. The epitomes of FPS-Story (Halflife) and FPS-Combat (UT/Q3) were both 2-3 years old at that point. Attempting to compare them is pretty pointless, especially given the rapid advancements in technology around that time period.

You could compare Halo 2 and HL2 (and maybe UT2k4), released in 2004... I'd still pick HL2 every time. HL2 mods CS:S/CS:GO and TF2 are still crazy popular to this day. UT2k4 multiplayer... enough said.

Halo 1-3 won the "console FPS war" in dorm rooms, their success entirely hinged around their multiplayer. Their campaigns got more convoluted and worse with every release... and even Halo 3 multiplayer still didn't really hold a candle to what Q3 Arena/UT were doing 8 years prior. If you think it did, you probably play a lot of console games.

Then Reach came out and Bungie/Halo you knew was dead.

More people would have a favorable opinion of the early Halo franchise if all of the ports to PC weren't such terrible shit.

I can respect that view of history but I disagree. Maybe if Half Life 1/2 launched with a decent out of the box MP component or co-op I would buy that argument, but as thrilling as the campaigns in those games are I don't think the combat scenarios are as interesting or dynamic as most of what is in the Halo series, except for maybe one or two soldier encounters in HL1.

I do/did play a lot of console games, but I play more on PC. I think any Halo is a more complete package than any Half Life or UT and stands on it's own as more than just a good (for a console) shooter, though I understand tastes for certain styles of shooting can be subjective.

Oh and I agree about the ports. Not the place to play those games. If they are what we are talking about then I completely understand the "Haloz overated!" argument. They were titles highly tuned for a specific platform and control method and even if the effort was put in to making them feel right on a m/kb I don't think the rest of the design would ever quite mesh with it.

54. Re: PC Destiny Still Possible Jun 18, 2016, 11:18 Numinar

When did I defend the Destiny pricing structure? Wouldn't dream of it. I didn't grab Taken King until it was half price.

Bungie didn't brainwash me, they earn't my customer loyalty from Myth:The Fallen Lords onwards, and have only really done me wrong with Destiny which I enjoyed despite the issues. 18 Years is a better win streak than most developers and I think that deserves respect but I understand that some people wouldn't know quality if it sat on their face so that's ok.

People get upset about the pricing of things but take some personal responsibility. Wait for reviews and buy or pass based on how much a product seems worth it to you. Companies charge what the market will hold, they don't put a gun to your head and demand you pre-order.

I also didn't defend Destiny's non existent story or claim Halo's as being amazing, only that it was better than other shooters. I also enjoyed those games you mentioned and while they are all great games with good narrative and characters (mostly) they are all inferior shooters or not even trying to be shooters so I think my point is still valid.

51. Re: PC Destiny Still Possible Jun 17, 2016, 23:53 Numinar

jdreyer wrote on Jun 17, 2016, 14:25:
Numinar wrote on Jun 17, 2016, 13:15:
And until Destiny (Glorious mess that it is), Bungie's derivative B grade Sci-fi was still better than valve or anyone else's attempt at a coherent narrative.

LOL. That can only have been written by someone who didn't play HL2. Or Mass Effect for that matter.

Wrong. I have played and enjoyed both of those and many others. I feel very informed on this subject. Maybe I sound like a deranged Trump supporter or something but I look back at a lifetime of playing and if you asked me to make the desert island choice, and limited to FPS it would definitely be a Bungie Halo.

The Half life games are my favourite shooters on PC with a replay count a lot closer to Halo but the story in 2 and the episodes are crap. Good world building and characters granted but that's not a good story.

Mass Effect has a story so bad they needed paid DLC to glue it back together. It's the same derivative sci fi tropes that Halo is built out of, but I think Halo does it better with a lot less wank.

Some of the set pieces in Half Life are amazing, but I'd never start playing it again after finishing it like I would do with Doom, Heretic or Halo. It's a linear corridor shooter like every PC shooter ever until it's release. It didn't have the co-op, excellent MP, cool vehicle mechanics (which carry over into MP and co-op with sick boarding mechanics) and it definitely doesn't have the awesome sandbox of weapon, enemy and vehicle interaction which helps make every encounter feel fresh. No contest to me and I don't sit around praying to lord Gabe for HL3. Metro and Metro LL did this decade's version of a moody linear FPS already so there is no room for it unless they think of something really fresh.

19. Re: PC Destiny Still Possible Jun 17, 2016, 13:15 Numinar

Flak wrote on Jun 17, 2016, 12:36:
All this for an overhyped, console shooter?

Really? Have PC players even played Bungie games? They're so overrated it's not even funny.

Halo is good....for a console game. Qualifying it like that doesn't do it any favors either.

This comment is patently false, since the prevailing attitude seems to align more with your take on these games than how I experience them, which is in the opposite sense.

Nobody seems to have a counter about how these games are bad and which PC alternatives do what they do but better.

I would put any of the Bungie shooters with the exception of the flawed but still awesome Halo 2 up against any PC game I've played. They have always been full of great encounter design, some awesome local and internet multiplayer/co-op and other neat stuff and are a breath of fresh air compared to the army of FPS clones with their 22 weapon inventory and sensation of being a disembodied gun floating in space that have haunted the PC world since B.J. set foot in the castle.

And until Destiny (Glorious mess that it is), Bungie's derivative B grade Sci-fi was still better than valve or anyone else's attempt at a coherent narrative. Destiny's mechanics, character and level design is still best in class though so hopefully the rest of that game can catch up.

This PC elitism smacks of some kind of unfounded persecution or inferiority complex, it seems so irrational. Or maybe it's a pissing contest thing like guys who have cars with large engines? Play Diablo, Metal Gear V, Doom or Overwatch on a console and it's still a great game, not as good but are really great experiences. Quality exclusives like Uncharted or Halo that don't compromise on having to play nice on other platforms are even better. You can't play Factorio or Kerbal on consoles (yet) but more of that stuff is making it's way there as time goes on. I have no hesitation in recommending these machines to people who want to play games and don't want to spend what it takes to get a decent 1400p PC going.

They are chump change compared to the cost of a decent PC/monitor combo and are worth it for the one or two games a year that don't come to PC (or don't travel well) and as entry level gaming devices do that job really, really well. And if you are lucky you will get something like Halo which doesn't really have an equal in the PC world in terms of feature set, game modes and quality of content.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
3. Re: Evening Metaverse Jun 16, 2016, 05:20 Numinar

Oh man that is RICH.

Love Trent, good bloke and good musician. But when I read that he is a big wig at Apple Music, the tea I was drinking went through my nose and onto the keyboard.

The iPod only got the market penetration it got because the early adopters justified it's price because we could all rip music onto it (From our CD collections and Napster and co). Then we all grew up and I assume started buying stuff from Apple itself, or just stopped buying music altogether (Steam is a beast that needs feeding!)

I mean, am I wrong here or is he saying that Youtube got big on stolen content while working for a company who had one foot in the grave before launching a product that made them as big as they did because of stolen content? I could be wrong but that's how I remember it.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
17. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 9, 2016, 23:12 Numinar

Good luck! This is stressing me out like a Crusader Kings 2 game where the succession is up in the air and you have no idea who is going to run the place or how they even could replace the ballin' ruler you have now!  

News Comments > 100 Million Minecraft March
3. Re: 100 Million Minecraft March Jun 3, 2016, 03:12 Numinar

All my friend's/relative's male kids are into this. Every. Single. One. Number almost seems too low.

I think the mobile/tablet version is the gateway that gets them badgering mum and dad for a console or PC to play "Real" Minecraft.

And it certainly deserves it. I can't think of any other game with the appeal, sophistication and possibilities of MC.

News Comments > Starbreeze Acquires Cinemaware Catalog
12. Re: Starbreeze Acquires Cinemaware Catalog Jun 1, 2016, 07:07 Numinar

These guys have their own VR system don't they? Maybe they can leverage this library into some amiga-bite sized arcade experiences that will actually move units of these things.

Because full game VR and the tech demo VR stuff we've been getting isn't exactly lighting the world on fire.

News Comments > Elite Dangerous: Horizons Expands
3. Re: Elite Dangerous: Horizons Expands May 28, 2016, 01:57 Numinar

I want to try but I cannot just dabble in this game, it will own me for weeks. Especially if I get caught up in loops of community goals.

Maybe once I get sick of Doom, Stellaris, Uncharted 4 and Total Warhammer I will have time to get lost in space again.

Not to mention the temptation of Overwatch. Can't remember the last time I had so much good time sucking quality on tap at once.

News Comments > Total War: WARHAMMER Sales Record
4. Re: Total War: WARHAMMER Sales Record May 28, 2016, 01:44 Numinar

Yeah it feels a bit thin in places, but it's the least buggy TW game I've ever played. It crashes less (As in, zero times!) than most of their games do after years of patches. Do not miss the repetitive small town assaults from Attila/Rome at all.

Campaign is awesome as Dwarves, I've restarted a few times now but keep learning. Every battle is rourkes drift with those guys. It's a nightmare as usual when you lose the race to uber-agents and it seems harder to catch up in that way. But the campaigns seem fresh and tight, moreso than the DLC campaigns for Shogun 2 which were my favorite up to this point.

571 Comments. 29 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo