Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Vince

Real Name Vince   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Numinar
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2006, 06:24
Total Comments 744 (Apprentice)
User ID 24402

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
16. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 13, 2017, 03:57 Numinar

The Farthest is pretty good, but I would have liked more footage and CGI as the visualisations are not always great until near the end.

The Voyager Probes are tied with Hubble as the most awesome things we (And by we I mean you yanks) have ever done. Voyager might be more useful in the short term even if Hubble is a little more mind blowing.

The automation they managed with early 70's programming for the launch boosters and probes themselves is astonishing. Maybe the memory restraints made for a good environment to test and visualise and collaborate.

Good to see Carolyn Porco still trucking along, I remember her from the BBC's "The Planets" which I hope this new series properly updates. A good role model for all of us and a far too rare one for girls in general.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of War Video
6. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of War Video Aug 13, 2017, 03:50 Numinar

Nucas wrote on Aug 13, 2017, 01:04:
i find their presence in games somewhat egregious since there's always that suspicion that the game's balance was altered to hinder player progress and make you lean on your credit card, but so far that hasn't been the case in any of the games i've played that contain them. i'm definitely not going to stamp my feet and miss out on a game i want to play over it; i find this hysterical over-reaction reminiscent of the way gamers first reacted to DLC. 5 DOLLAR HORSE ARMOR IS GOING TO DESTROY THE GAMES INDUSTRY.

This. Games are no longer tuned to have satisfying progress/unlocks. You get soul-crushingly slow progression, or shitty off cuts, and micro transaction funded capsule dispensers which are often also super frustrating. Reminds me of MTG, or Hearthstone which is mostly exactly this (A great game that is very hard to keep up without money unless you play it often and well).

Still, some games are great despite this. This might be one. First game was a lot of fun.

News Comments > BioShock Remastered macOS Plans
4. Re: BioShock Remastered macOS Plans Aug 3, 2017, 07:52 Numinar

I guess there are enough desperate Mac nerds to make this viable. A port of a lacklustre, flawed update when they would probably get better value/results out of a cheap PC or x360 for a small fraction of their next MacBook upgrade.

Not hating on macs, the MacBook Pro I bought my missus 6 years ago has outlasted and out-performed several PC laptops for general computing and is still getting free OS updates. Just don't ask them to play games!

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of War Trailer
7. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of War Trailer Jul 30, 2017, 09:49 Numinar

Quinn wrote on Jul 30, 2017, 05:50:
DarkCntry wrote on Jul 28, 2017, 22:17:
Cutter wrote on Jul 28, 2017, 20:00:
Poor Tolkein must be spinning in his grave right about now, 'What in god's name are they doing to my work?!'

He was spinning in his grave decades ago...this is small fries.

ROFLOL are you seriously implying that The Lord of the Rings trilogy wasn't worthy of its name? If there's one writer who doesn't have to feel embarrassed -- dead or not -- it's Tolkien.

Even if you grant that that adaptation was far better than anyone could have imagined, the travesty of the Hobbit almost erases that accomplishment. Despite nailing a few scenes/characters and some awesome cinematography and set design, the Hobbit Trilogy was an abomination. They even knew from the first trilogy that they were at their best when they played close to the OG texts, but somehow they forgot or misjudged the effort required to do that for Bilbos lark.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
7. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 19, 2017, 09:38 Numinar

That is some next level Factorio action Musk.

Concentrating it in one area might help with the melting of passing aircraft/birds and whatnot but I think it was a descriptive tool not an actual plan.

The best thing about solar is that if everyone has it on their home, then your energy network becomes hardened and distributed like what the internet was meant to do for communications, which helps with natural disasters/sabotage outside of nuclear/asteroidal winter.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
5. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 10, 2017, 03:04 Numinar

Retired wrote on Jul 10, 2017, 02:38:
They are releasing 2 more maps.

More than enough fun.

Not sure if that's what it needs, though those with 10 days playtime might. I still have fun landing on the same few buildings/complexes that I've learned how to loot and shoot in. Most shooters get away with a few good maps.

The one thing that is not fun is the combat in buildings that require more abuse of the 3rd person camera than anything else. Cannot wait for forced first person view.

Also some people are really good or use aimbots as half my deaths are headshots, I can barely line up a decent center mass shot (I might have less than half a dozen headhshots ever). Maybe CSGO people are making the jump and the skillz/cheating translate? I still love the game but I have to compensate for my uselessness by being extra sneaky and picky with engagements like when I was on a 28.8 as a teenager.

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Free Weekend
4. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Free Weekend Jul 7, 2017, 06:08 Numinar

Cool, I love this game and this is a good feature. Played through to the second area twice. It seems I go too hard and burn out and come back years later and forget whats what. Is it worth pushing on?

Same issue with Mad Max. The rinse and repeat gets to me after a while. For some reason I didn't have this problem with the Batmens and half of the AC's.

News Comments > Independence Day Legal Briefs
24. Re: Independence Day Legal Briefs Jul 5, 2017, 07:05 Numinar

NKD wrote on Jul 4, 2017, 17:17:
jdreyer wrote on Jul 4, 2017, 16:31:
]

The interesting thing is that it's being resisted by both Dem and Repub states. This is being architected by Chris Kobach of Kansas, and even Kansas is refusing to participate.

If I had to hazard a guess as to the motivations, I'd say that the Democrats are resisting because, obviously, they don't want to be seen as helping Trump's stupidity along. The Republicans are resisting because their voter base, despite often being Trump supporters, distrust the federal government and wouldn't take kindly to them handing over their personal info. Plus they just don't have anything to gain from compliance.

My bold because I did not think of this at all despite it being so obvious now I think about it.

The only way the GOP does not benefit from this investigation getting all the information it can is if their investigation concludes that there is no appreciable level of voter fraud and their paranoid delusions have no basis in fact. The privacy thing is nonsense as I don't believe there are records of who exactly voted for what in the first place, though maybe their base would believe the crazy Alex Jones version of this story. Maybe by hamstringing it early they can claim it's finding is 'invalid' or 'inconclusive'.

Or maybe the truth is that Illegal voters tend to be hard working, conservative and religious and are actually voting R.

So when is the investigation into gerrymandering as a form of electioneering anyway? You know, the thing that actually threatens our political process? Can't they basically adjust per house/city block based on you metadata and squiggle a line as needed?

11. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 4, 2017, 02:57 Numinar

Rattican wrote on Jul 4, 2017, 01:55:
Comments like "What a pathetic list of games" and "The only decent game on that list" kinda burn me up inside. I mean a lot of these games clearly showing lots of high quality work that would have taken a lot of time and effort from so many talented people. Just dismissing that so casually is very annoying as a content creator myself (just not of games).

I mean it's not high art and not every game is going to appeal to you, but the hyperbole seems a bit unnecessary if you can't appreciate an era of having so much quality entertainment available.

Each released game is a precious miracle, worthy of criticism and acorn and wonder that it was actually released in a functional state.

That said I'm pretty sure Nier IS high art, either that or nothing is.

10. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 4, 2017, 02:53 Numinar

Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 3, 2017, 22:25:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 3, 2017, 22:23:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 3, 2017, 22:21:
You should all be playing Factorio instead anyway!

Played way too much of that to be honest
Haha, me too.

Heresy! Latest updates include more higher definition assets and world generation presets to encourage rails or make the recipes more expensive requiring more factorio madness to produce.

You never recover from cractorio addiction. You are just one taste from another 40 hour bender. Do it!

News Comments > Magic Duels Support Ending
10. Re: Magic Duels Support Ending Jun 30, 2017, 07:54 Numinar

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 29, 2017, 18:29:
Numinar wrote on Jun 28, 2017, 23:52:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 28, 2017, 00:07:
Cutter wrote on Jun 27, 2017, 23:22:
Ozmodan wrote on Jun 27, 2017, 21:41:
Calling them clowns is being kind.

Indeed, just shows how it's better to be lucky than good. I still don't understand why they even bought it. It was like, they got lucky with MTG, made oodles of money and than just bought a bunch of shit just because they could. I don't think they ever had any actual plans for it. Likely none for MTG either, just coast on the fame and fortune of it. I really wish they'd just sell it already. Someone who really wanted to - and with deep enough pockets - could really make D&D shine again.

WOTC is owned by Hasbro, yes, the Play-Doh Hasbro, and yes, that includes all TSR licenses, and yes, that means HASBRO owns DnD campaigns by the boat-load, and they are not gonna let go of their only profitable games division. From their last revenue reports, WOTC is the only reason Hasbro is even writing positive numbers. So you can guess why MTG Duels was "abandoned" ^^

That is good news! They sound weighted down by owning too much stuff that isn't MTG. They might 'abandon' some other properties and let someone else with a bit of hunger get in on the old TSR properties.

Would love a modern take on Dragonlance of TFR.

Uh, they are already doing that, how do you think Beamdog operates? They have a TSR license from Hasbro. It's why they can remake all the old games. And once that is done, they will likely try to cash in further on the license. After all, those remastered editions are basically free money.

Oh yeah. I forgot about them. Slightly fancy, welcome compatibility re-releases of games I've already paid money for (lots of money in late 90's terms) is hardly taking advantage of the license though.

Sad (/trumpmode), as so much of modern gaming, good and bad, can trace it's routes back to old timey DnD.

News Comments > Magic Duels Support Ending
8. Re: Magic Duels Support Ending Jun 28, 2017, 23:52 Numinar

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 28, 2017, 00:07:
Cutter wrote on Jun 27, 2017, 23:22:
Ozmodan wrote on Jun 27, 2017, 21:41:
Calling them clowns is being kind.

Indeed, just shows how it's better to be lucky than good. I still don't understand why they even bought it. It was like, they got lucky with MTG, made oodles of money and than just bought a bunch of shit just because they could. I don't think they ever had any actual plans for it. Likely none for MTG either, just coast on the fame and fortune of it. I really wish they'd just sell it already. Someone who really wanted to - and with deep enough pockets - could really make D&D shine again.

WOTC is owned by Hasbro, yes, the Play-Doh Hasbro, and yes, that includes all TSR licenses, and yes, that means HASBRO owns DnD campaigns by the boat-load, and they are not gonna let go of their only profitable games division. From their last revenue reports, WOTC is the only reason Hasbro is even writing positive numbers. So you can guess why MTG Duels was "abandoned" ^^

That is good news! They sound weighted down by owning too much stuff that isn't MTG. They might 'abandon' some other properties and let someone else with a bit of hunger get in on the old TSR properties.

Would love a modern take on Dragonlance of TFR.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
6. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 27, 2017, 01:54 Numinar

NKD wrote on Jun 26, 2017, 21:15:
Cram wrote on Jun 26, 2017, 21:13:
Fair point, yet FF3 (6) and Secret of Mana (Seiken Densetsu 2).

It's a pretty solid lineup on that thing. The Chrono Trigger gambit, curious.

Star Fox 2...that's a thing 20 years later apparently

SNES had way better games than the NES on the whole so the lineup is much more impressive. Earthbound is another supremely good game. Maybe they just didn't want to stick another Square game on there?

Well, missing the best square game is inexcusable so I don't know what they are doing.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
4. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jun 27, 2017, 00:26 Numinar

Cutter wrote on Jun 11, 2017, 12:04:
Numinar wrote on Jun 11, 2017, 08:03:
I think I'm with Timmy on this one. The excesses of capitalism seem to require and encourage high order shitbagness in men, but it seems to be the only mechanism by which shit gets made/done.

Shitposters are oxygen theiving malcontents with basically no value to society. Wit and logic are great weapons against the rich and powerful but most of what we read these days just seems to be hateful tripe, like domestic abuse inflicted on keyboards and message boards instead of the women that are too smart to live with them.

You fail to see how the former is directly responsible for the latter by making the world a shittier place for everyone to be. Take some fucking responsibility already. And no, you don't have to be some selfish fucking scumbag in order to get things done and be a net benefit to society. That's just a shitty rationalization to allow evil to continue unabated.

Sorry to Necro but you are right Cutter, it is a rationalisation of a system that I benefit greatly from and take responsibility for being a part of, and maybe shitposters are just modern day anarchists, unwilling to die for their cause but equally unwilling to pay lip service to anyone elses. Burn it all down instead of working to fix it in a system that seems rigged to prevent that whilst promising otherwise.

News Comments > Destiny 2 Weapon Recoil Follow-up
8. Re: Destiny 2 Weapon Recoil Follow-up Jun 24, 2017, 01:23 Numinar

Bungie has not had a great track record of PC ports, in house or out but I will still probably pre-order this. Being a living, ongoing concern released almost at the same time as the consoles should make them iron out the plentiful issues it's sure to have.

However when it comes to weapon handling, variation and polish there is no equal. There are guns from this game I remember from 3 years ago. The gunfeel with controllers is amazing. The sound, rumble, recoil, animation all made wielding Hawkmoon, Thorn, Last Chance, Word of Crota and their ilk feel so fucking badass in PvP and PvE and the blues/purples you would get for beating a raid or the odd strike always felt so epic. There is a handcrafted quality to all their shit that you just don't get in most loot games. Sure you disenchant most the stuff you find but there was always something awesome to work or hope for and enjoy the fuck out of once you scored it or be jealous of teamates who had.

News Comments > Steam Summer Sale Launches
49. Re: Steam Summer Sale Launches Jun 23, 2017, 11:00 Numinar

Got Pit People. It's amazing, I don't think I need to spend any more money.  

News Comments > Pathfinder Adventures Released
8. Re: Pathfinder Adventures Released Jun 17, 2017, 06:35 Numinar

Sacrifice wrote on Jun 16, 2017, 12:32:
I recently started playing Elder Scrolls: Legends and I am enjoying it. It was just released on Steam and it is free. I'm not sure why I would want to pay to play Pathfinder. Is the IP known enough to compete with other collectible card games at its price?

It's a very different thing. It's a co-operative game and the card expansions are set, no blind packs in the physical version. The electronic version breaks a lot of content into blind packs though because it started as a mobile port and that is what you do there. It's awesome and a very different beast to MtG/Hearthstone/TES:Legends.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
5. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 16, 2017, 05:12 Numinar

jdreyer wrote on Jun 16, 2017, 01:50:
Cram wrote on Jun 16, 2017, 00:34:
For what they're claiming the system can do, I would assume they're taking a loss on the system at $500USD.

Yeah, they've basically quadrupled the graphics processing power. The XB1X has 40 CUs, while the Radeon 480 has just 36. That's $250 right there just for the graphics. It's actually smart that they're adding 4x GPU power, so 4K games will be smooth as silk.

Smooth as silk? Doubt it. A 1080ti doesn't do 4k smooth as silk unless it's some miracle of optimization like Doom or an older title. There are always compromises.

But yeah, if I had the money for a decent low latency high quality 4k TV I would get this console for sure. My 1080 panel is already better than what my consoles can do smoothly so they would need more than 4x the power to make it work at 4k.

There are exceptions on the PS4 Uncharted 4, Arkham Knight, Metal Gear 5 and Destiny somehow maintain low but consistently smooth framerates at awesome image quality but that is mostly due to the optimisations you can make when your art department and technical graphic artists are fucking baller which unfortunately isn't most game devs.

News Comments > Pathfinder Adventures Released
4. Re: Pathfinder Adventures Released Jun 16, 2017, 05:06 Numinar

I have this on my phone, it's great. It's a dice rolling quasi deck builder. It's all of the fun of a clutch ability check in DnD but over and over and over and over again forever.

But it is a port of a physical card game. And there is some annoying pay to win (easier) elements. I love it on the phone. I don't think I would ever play it on the PC unless you had some mates on skype doing it with you.

Also, unlike the physical game, it seems balanced for single player (As in, a single person able to min-max the builds and turn actions of all 2-6 party members). I gave up on the last scenario but got more than my money's worth out of the rest of it.

Careful with the DLC. Early on it was easy to buy the pack that filled it out with all the quests and characters that would make it feel like a fleshed out experience, afterwards a lot more confusing "Alt' characters and shit was added that muddy the waters and cost a fortune.

News Comments > Elite Dangerous The Return Patch Plans
29. Re: Elite Dangerous The Return Patch Plans Jun 15, 2017, 12:03 Numinar

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jun 15, 2017, 07:52:
ED is one of those games that should be right in my wheelhouse. Unfortunately, the lack of proper tutorials (the last time I played a year and a half ago) killed my interest. I don't count "Go watch four hours of YouTube videos" as a proper tutorial, either. I'm not looking for hand-holding through the game, but at least take the time to give a solid framework for how the game mechanics themselves work.

I started about a year ago and there were quite a few tutorial missions telling you how to pilot, fight and trade and they added a team deathmatch mode that is good for practicing combat without losing your insurance/ship as well. The refitting system was the most obtuse for me and took a while to work out, but that seems to have gotten better as well.

744 Comments. 38 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo