Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 07/23

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Vince

Real Name Vince   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Numinar
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2006, 06:24
Total Comments 546 (Apprentice)
User ID 24402

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > EVE Online Turns 13; Free Weekend
4. Re: EVE Online Turns 13; Free Weekend May 6, 2016, 00:57 Numinar

PacoTaco wrote on May 5, 2016, 21:20:
Free to play? They dont pay you to play it? I had a job like this once, and I quit after 2 weeks. Fuck this game.

SpreadSheets IN SPAAAAAAACE...

Yeah not my cup of tea either but props to it, I don't think there are any other MMO's where all the non-chinese players are in a single, never ending persistent world where war, invasion, production, politics, diplomacy and espionage can have massive multi-year consequences.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare Announced; CoD4 Remaster Confirmed
50. Re: Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare Announced; CoD4 Remaster Confirmed May 3, 2016, 08:56 Numinar

Why couldn't it be playable and off rails? Bungie managed a lot better than that in 2010 on 2005 console hardware with split screen and/or online co-op. Maybe the same people got hired by IW when the spaceships in Destiny turned out to be just cosmetic?

One mission om Reach (Long Night of Solace) went from a base assault, to launching a orbital defence fighter to boarding a larger ship and then getting thrown back down to the surface with just a few little seamless cut-scenes to hide loading in. The space combat wasn't super deep but it was a good 15 minutes+ of open-ended shooty goodness . It was still good fun when I replayed it recently.

https://youtu.be/UK48mzCJxsQ?t=80

There was some more "Starfox" style stuff in Halo 4 which wasn't as compelling.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
31. Re: Steam Top 10 May 2, 2016, 05:33 Numinar

Hey nothing wrong about impassioned opinions and hyperbole! I love that shit!

Maybe not a great top ten for new software but there are some gems there. It's not like it's 80% Sims and CoD.

Rocket League is the best computer sports game ever. Deathrow on the OG Xbox was great and Speedball 1/2, Kick-off and TV Sports Basketball on the Amiga are legendary but RL has finally buried them, only took 20+ years.

Factorio is fucking magic. How do they get all those entities to render and track without it dropping frames or visually abstracting it in a way that's noticeable? It's amazing and quite unique but can feel like work sometimes, but that's more a testament to the fidelity of what it's simulating than a knock. Feels great when shit is running JUST right. And then you have to tear all that up and rejig it somewhere else because you need more throughput! Once they shake out MP it should be a great sandbox, like some of the better Mine-craft Mods but better as the engine is optimised for the complexity. Those slick Red-Alert style graphics makes me want to build an army of tanks to send out on a genocidal bug cleansing sweep. Maybe there will be mods for that later.

Battlefleet Armada seems like good stuff from the people that played it. It's made my list.

Everyone seems to love the Witcher but I don't know. They all felt like junk and needed major combat/movement overhauls after release and then still kind of felt like junk. Setting is ok, reminds me of the few bits of the first Dragon Age that were actually good.

As for Total Warhammer... I'm cautiously optimistic. Shogun, Medieval, Rome and Shogun 2 (Especially it's expansions) were great games. Recent shit has been pretty dire though. Fingers crossed this isn't another SHAMFUR DISHPRAY.

And GTAV is certainly worth a playthrough if you have a rig that it will sing on. It was worth it on the gutless X360. Certainly good value even if you never use it for the hackfest MP or mucking around in the open world with the AI (Which seems a bit of a step back compared to 4/SA/RDR but that doesn't make it a bad game.)

I finished half of Mordor and really enjoyed it but then got sick of it. Arkham Knight is a much better "one of those" games (Played through it twice which I just don't do with anything anymore) but since the PC port is borked and most of you can't/wont swallow your pride on that matter you'll just have to miss out. Mordor was certainly quality enough to make any sequel something to keep an eye on if they keep monolith around for it.

News Comments > Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare 2 Free Trial
2. Re: Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare 2 Free Trial Apr 27, 2016, 05:16 Numinar

Olayed the first heaps with my daughter in split screen but not sure if PC supports that. This will let me see if it does as Splitscreen would be much better at 1440/60  

News Comments > Rocket League Hoops Mode Released
5. Re: Rocket League Hoops Mode Released Apr 27, 2016, 05:13 Numinar

I waited 20 years for a worthy successor to the accessibility and fun of Speedball/2 on Amiga. And it was worth the wait. Probably won't throw money at them for this DLC as I left my basketball fandom in 1994 but whatever helps them with the continued support and content is ok with me.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
18. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 20, 2016, 06:03 Numinar

PHJF wrote on Apr 19, 2016, 16:22:
I see KSP just had a big update.

Yeah it's epic, and because they had a pre-release the best mod (Kerbal Engineer) along with some others are already updated and ready to go.

I'm almost too scared to start as I know it will be another 60 hours of my life gone as I restart the campaign again. It seems way snappier in menus and flight now. I am super excited though. KERBAL!

News Comments > Steam Top 10
7. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 18, 2016, 00:07 Numinar

Yay Gamemaker Studio Games!

Gungeon has this annoying bug where unlike every other game I have (Except the original Dark Souls) it goes nuts unless I pull my Sidewinder out of the back of my PC. Which is annoying as it's just the kind of game I need after a long space trucking session.

It's a great game. Just like Towerfall is to Samurai Gunn, It's like a more content rich, higher production value, deeper (maybe) version of Nuclear throne, and just like Samurai Gunn I think I like Throne better but it's still an awesome well made game. Shooting is better than Isaac but as someone has said already the insane ramp up to god like power that Isaac has is missing. Not necessarily a bad thing. Or maybe I just haven't gotten far enough yet.

Hyper Light Drifter I have even less time with but since they rip the aesthetic right from my favorite Miyazaki film I had to have it and it is really good. It's the kind of game 80's console/Amiga games seemed like to 10 year old me. It's got the guy who made Samurai Gunn doing programing/design for it and it feels like it to. Fantastic rhythm to the combat.

Doesn't feel too unfair/difficult, and I'm old and slow and useless at games these days. It's got Halo-like savepoints so you only have to clear a few fights and traps to reach the next save. Whenever I get stuck I back off, explore somewhere else, save up for a new upgrade and come back.

On my 390x I need to set it from Fullscreen to Windowed Fullscreen to remove all the vomitous jitter. It's still not super smooth (It is a gamemaker game after all) but it's at least very enjoyable then.

I recommend both of these games to anyone and everyone who doesn't feel every purchase they make on steam needs to justify their months wages worth of PC hardware.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
4. Re: Evening Metaverse Apr 16, 2016, 02:15 Numinar

Cutter wrote on Apr 15, 2016, 21:34:
Why did they even bother? America is a de facto police state now anyway. Who the hell would anyone complain to? And who the hell would do it anything about if they did?

It's taken me years to come to this conclusion but I know you are not an idiot Cutter so this statement surprises me.

For all it's faults, and they are many and unacceptable, the US is not a police state. You don't get your tea sweetened by Polonium for writing insane crap about the head of state, or locked up for insulting someones precious religion in the form of song like in some countries. I'm sure cointelpro or something like it still goes on but I don't think there was ever a time in any functioning society where something like that didn't.

When their presidents start getting 99% approval ratings and dissidents only speak their mind when out of the country, then we can give them that label. Everything else is actionable within the current framework if people put a bit more effort into it than whinging online.

News Comments > Beamdog on Siege of Dragonspear Complaints
64. Re: Beamdog on Siege of Dragonspear Complaints Apr 8, 2016, 01:16 Numinar

Where did I indicate that I seek the banning, firing or silencing of anyone? I have no time for the extreme regressive left, and since I have a job and a life, I never have to meet or encounter them in any way except when the yahoos on the forum I frequent feel the need to inform me about how outrageous their impotent prattling is.

This torch and pitchfork crowd that cries big meaty man tears at the very mention of things that are not them or fuckable by them in their entertainment of choice, as if they are the sly tendrils of a grand conspiracy are everywhere these days! Gaming is full of these people for some reason. And I take great joy in their anguish regardless of how much of their politics I share. It makes me happy. You made me happy today. Thankyou.

News Comments > Beamdog on Siege of Dragonspear Complaints
61. Re: Beamdog on Siege of Dragonspear Complaints Apr 8, 2016, 00:39 Numinar

Sounds like this game has much bigger problems than a throwaway GG joke and token trans NPC. Though there have been plenty of crap stories set in the FR in all sorts of mediums so they are in good company there.

But good on them anyway for getting those insane winguts who see the continued forward march of the moral zeitgeist as some kind of existential threat to their hairy white testicles that much closer to having a stroke. That's gods work that is.

News Comments > Quoteworthy - MS on Halo 5 Skipping PCs
25. Re: Quoteworthy - MS on Halo 5 Skipping PCs Apr 1, 2016, 09:45 Numinar

Halo? Rubbish? What is this? I know the last two were not big on the innovative side but every entry in the Bungie series is an awesome SP and co-op shooter of the kind that you wish you could get on PC.

Don't get me wrong, love me some Half Life and Metro but for sheer shootery goodness (with built in net co-op) I don't know what else there is. You can keep your floating gun throwback nonsense games.

Also my Sidewinder Precision pro is still going strong 20 years later so that's two things MS is good at.

News Comments > R.U.S.E. No Longer for Sale
4. Re: R.U.S.E. No Longer for Sale Mar 31, 2016, 05:17 Numinar

Gave this a go the other day. Some good concepts with the strategic scaling, but feels a bit undercooked compared to the Wargame series. Which makes sense since they made this first.

Act of Aggression feels really rough though. I hope Eugen can pull themselves together, they seemed like they knew what they were doing from Act of War to Red Dragon.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
15. Re: Saturday Metaverse Mar 27, 2016, 08:36 Numinar

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 26, 2016, 17:29:
jacobvandy wrote on Mar 26, 2016, 15:03:
I still only pay $7.99 a month for Netflix, and we use it a lot around here... I would gladly pay $19.99 if that enabled them to license more and better content, without having to play that shuffle game where they alternate which high-profile content they have available at any one time. They're doing pretty well with their original stuff, but that's not why I subscribe.

As for the topic of the article, you can't just look at it in plain numbers. A huge amount of the titles on there are independent and straight-to-DVD crap, which they probably get a couple hundred of for the same price as a popular TV show or blockbuster film from the past 10 years. If nobody's watching them and they get pulled by the dozens, nobody cares, and it's no reason to panic.

Ehem

Leaving Netflix in April - (selection by me)
101 Dalmatians (1996)
2 Fast 2 Furious (2003)
Star Trek: Insurrection (1998)
Starship Troopers (1997)
Lord of War (2005)

the job of a library is not to reduce it's contents, in fact this is EXACTLY the reason I do not use netflix. I want to have movies in my Kodi library unchanging and forever.

What the hell! You guys get Starship Troopers?

Getting boned down in AU. Though it's pretty cheap for what you get so who cares.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
2. Re: Evening Interviews Mar 24, 2016, 06:43 Numinar

No shout out for Shadow of the Horned Rat in that Total Warhammer interview? I loved the original Shogun and always assumed it was partially inspired by it. Maybe it wasn't though.

Hopefully someone mods an awesome Mercenary campaign into the new one! And hopefully the new game is more Shogun 2/Attila than Empire/Rome 2 in terms of bugs and systems design.

News Comments > Evolution Studios Closes
5. Re: Evolution Studios Closes Mar 23, 2016, 17:39 Numinar

Motorstorm 2 is probably my favorite driving game of all time, and still probably one of the most impressive PS3 games. Looking back, one of the only games that really justify that systems existence in my house.

Hopefully the laid off devs form a new startup and do more of that (on PC!).

News Comments > XCOM 2 - Anarchy's Children Released
2. Re: XCOM 2 - Anarchy's Children Released Mar 18, 2016, 06:22 Numinar

The age old developers quandary. What can we put aside for DLC that will seem neither integral to the main game but important enough to buy? It's an unwinnable argument. (Though some MOBAS with aesthetic micro payments only seem to do ok).  

News Comments > Far Cry Primal Released
18. Re: Far Cry Primal Released Mar 2, 2016, 03:56 Numinar

I scored a PS4 copy. Heard it was a bit thin so set it to the highest difficulty setting and now I get eaten by bears and sabertoohed kittens and the forest is really scary now. Really enjoying the atmosphere and gameplay but then again I'm not burnt out on this awesome series somehow. Wish there was a way to keep the UI hidden without crippling my ability to find materials to craft things. I've been toggling the minimap and highlights on and off as needed but they really should have had an inteligent minimalist setting that manages that for you.  

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
8. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Feb 29, 2016, 08:48 Numinar

He is reflective of the audience for these games or maybe this generation of gamers in general though. In game chat in Dota and general chat in Heroes of the Storm is full of this exact same nonsense.  

News Comments > Dawn of War II Freebies and More
6. Re: Dawn of War II Freebies and More Feb 21, 2016, 18:28 Numinar

Would have much preferred free content for CoH2 or Rome 2. I have all three games and like them (Well, vanilla Rome 2 still sucks but we are well past that now) although I haven't booted up DoW2 in years.

As for the freebies why not. Renegade ops is classic and already had it but I'll give the others a whirl. Gunstar Heroes is amazing but I don't know about this PC port.

News Comments > Master of Orion Early Access Next Week; Voice Cast Detailed
24. Re: Master of Orion Early Access Next Week; Voice Cast Detailed Feb 19, 2016, 04:15 Numinar

Bloody hell now I'm excited. I don't want to be excited. Wait and see is always the better way but the hype flows strongly...

I hope it's more grand space empire with fun battles and lots of character and charm like the first game and not micromanaging the minutia of everything except battles like GalCiv, though I know people like that and could hardly fault them for taking MOO2 and turning all the dials up to 11.

Next I'll see a Star Control trailer that will get me hype, completing this weird synchronicity of two space series with unspeakably bad 3rd entries, long dormancy and resurrection under unusual circumstances.

546 Comments. 28 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo