Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Vince

Real Name Vince   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Numinar
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2006, 06:24
Total Comments 998 (Graduate)
User ID 24402

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > How to Play Sea of Thieves Early (And For Free!)
5. Re: How to Play Sea of Thieves Early (And For Free!) Mar 19, 2018, 23:50 Numinar

Sepharo wrote on Mar 19, 2018, 22:39:
This game is going to be DOA unless they add some sort of progression.
It's not competitive enough to stand on it's own without it. So if you're going to have dudes sailing all over the place for hours to collect chests and skulls there better be a reason to do it other than cosmetic unlocks.

I'm a big fan of it, but I like free-wheeling hijinks. For me it feels like a co-op/pvp Sid Miers Pirates game. Simple pieces adding up to an interesting whole.

I hope it's successful enough to engender continued development, as I had fun on the three weekends I tried during the beta and will at least max out whats in there. Though in an age of free Fortnite and 1/3rd the price PUBG it may very well struggle. The Microsoft netflix for games thing might get it an audience though.

There is a bit of progression. As your faction rep goes up you can get slightly fancier missions, and you can buy fancy sails and shoes and hurdy gurdies or whatever.

But if you want to see numbers go up, well, there is every other bloody game released just waiting for you on steam. Vermintide 2 has a whole fucking lot of numbers that go up. Same with Destiny if you want something more relaxing.

I for one appreciate the fact that it's a real effort to hunt down, sink and rob other players in this game and when it happens they have nothing to cry about since you all have access to the exact same gear.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Kerbal Expands
5. Re: Kerbal Expands Mar 14, 2018, 05:16 Numinar

MeanJim wrote on Mar 14, 2018, 01:52:
eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 13, 2018, 20:27:
Hey, gotta hand it to them, bought it April 2013 and thus got my expansion for free.

When they announced this I remember reading that early adopters would get it and future DLC for free. I bought it in when it was alpha version 0.20, so I thought anyone that bought it during the alpha or early access would qualify as an early adopter. I didn't know about the April 2013 cutoff until this morning. I checked my Steam account and saw I missed the April cutoff by a little over a month. What was so special about April 2013? I'm going to pick it up anyway, not cry and throw a tantrum like people are doing on the forums.

I paid less than $15 for the game during the alpha and I've gotten more than my money's worth out of it, so they've earned another $15 from me. I played the crap out of it up until Beta, then came back at 1.0 and started a new career, but the bugs and memory and leaks in that release combined with the crap ton of mods I had installed began causing crashes once I had a few missions going. I came back to it again after 1.2, but I never started a career game because I was waiting on some mods to get updated. While waiting, patches kept coming which kept delaying mods, and I eventually moved on to other things.

I was getting ready to fire it up again and finally get into a career game. I was installing mods and making sure everything was just right when they announced the expansion, so I decided I might as well hold off for it.

I watched the Twitch release stream this morning. They mentioned that with the changes made with 1.4, that it should reduce breaking mods with every minor release, so here's hoping once the mods I want to use catch up, I'll finally get to play through a career.

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 13, 2018, 20:27:
Also makes you realize how incredibly stupid slow the games development has been. The takeover by whoever took over, I kinda already forgot, seems to be absolutely a good thing, now to revamp the god awful planet graphics and maybe add some actual things to discover on the planets...

Take 2 took over as publisher, but I believe Squad still owns the IP. I remember people dropping negative reviews on KSP when Take 2 forced the shutdown of some GTA V mods, which sadly some are still there. When I fired it up this morning, my first time since 1.4 release, it had a logo for some company called Private Division during loading. I looked them up and it's a new publishing co. formed by Take 2 for helping indie and small developers. Recently there was a lot of whining over the new EULA, which nobody ever reads anyway.

It's only been 2 years since its official release. It was in development for a long time before that though. I remember there was a bit of drama a while back and a lot of devs left. There's a pretty much a whole new team now, and they're located all over the world. It's not a typical team sitting in an office working on the game 9-5, they're scattered all over the world.

I also wish they would add stock weather/clouds and shaders. The mod I previously used for clouds (EVE I think) has been merged into a new one called Stock Visual Enhancements and Stock Visual Terrain (SVE and SVT for short). I've tried Scatterer, and it looks great, but it tanks the frame rate so hard when on the surface of a planet. I used SVE and SVT for clouds and better terrain, Texture replacer to change out the ugly ass default skybox, and Distant Object Enhancement to make the game look better.

Those mods are awesome, no frame rate issue with scatterer, though I don't turn on all the features. (being mods and not QA'd game features, almost all have settings/sliders that allow you to wreck your game).

I think the cut off matches the Steam Release. It was sold outside of steam before that. I didn't get the DLC either but they can have my money next time I'm ready to play. One of the most important games ever made, if it influences just a few genius kids to take the aerospace path.

News Comments > Warhammer: Vermintide 2 Released
10. Re: Warhammer: Vermintide 2 Released Mar 10, 2018, 03:08 Numinar

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Mar 9, 2018, 13:52:
Numinar wrote on Mar 9, 2018, 08:42:
Early reports say itís a prettier version of previous game, so Iíll probably get this. I quite like my quality repetitive co-op loot shooters! Just hope that GMG deal is still on tomorrow and the key is region free.

It's prettier with better mechanics. Less game breaking swing throughs.. they really improved.

Playing now. It does feel better. Definitely runs better whilst looking three times as good.

News Comments > White House Game Summit Recap
51. Re: White House Game Summit Recap Mar 9, 2018, 23:55 Numinar

Fucking idiots. Might as well ban males or ban masturbating. The science is probably more solid there.

Now to read the comments to look for trumps wannabe cock holsters and see how they handwave this bullshit...

News Comments > Warhammer: Vermintide 2 Released
7. Re: Warhammer: Vermintide 2 Released Mar 9, 2018, 08:42 Numinar

Early reports say itís a prettier version of previous game, so Iíll probably get this. I quite like my quality repetitive co-op loot shooters! Just hope that GMG deal is still on tomorrow and the key is region free.  

News Comments > Get Amnesia Collection Free on Steam
7. Re: Get Amnesia Collection Free on Steam Mar 9, 2018, 08:38 Numinar

Quinn wrote on Mar 9, 2018, 08:14:
Cram wrote on Mar 8, 2018, 23:40:
Cutter wrote on Mar 8, 2018, 22:28:
Didn't they do this before? I have both games in my Steam library but I know I didn't buy them. Still haven't played Pig Machine but did play some of DD. Yeah it was tense but didn't seem that scary. Especially compared to Outlast which freaked me the fuck out.

IMO Outlast was good at "startling" you, it was not scary. You'd jump for a second and go into action mode to stay alive. Dark Descent was actually, at times, scary. The dread was persistent throughout many particular levels/areas whether there was a monster around or not. Again, just my opinion.

And Outlast 2, sadly, completely failed. They forgot one of the most important things in horror: the release of tension. Outlast 2 was constantly completely fucked up. At some point your mind would just go "Fuck this, this isn't fun scary anymore.". Don't get me wrong, even the scariest fucking shit out there can be fun scary. It's the release of tension that's necessary for it to be experienced as fun.

Alien Isolation is my favourite one of these, but it also fails the tension test. Iím
never not freaking the fuck out which is why Iím slowly completing one objective every six months for the rest of my life.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
3. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Mar 5, 2018, 05:33 Numinar

Cutter wrote on Mar 4, 2018, 13:20:
This articles is pure clickbait. No it's not time to take it seriously and never will be. It will never happen. This is just more Musk sensationalism to keep his promise everything, do nothing company in the public's attention. He constantly promises the moon and delivers a handful of rocks. He makes crap for the idle rich to feel good about himself and delude himself into believing he's making difference for the better when he very clearly isn't.

I am neither idle nor rich but those rockets are fucking cool.

Be nice if he was a bit nicer to his employees but as far as industrialists go, good for him.

Quite a few Paypal alumni went on to shit out money on all sorts of projects. Electric robot cars, tunnels for human haters and buck rogers rockets are pretty cool compared to most of them.

News Comments > Trump Calls Game Meeting
27. Re: Trump Calls Game Meeting Mar 2, 2018, 10:06 Numinar

Task wrote on Mar 2, 2018, 10:00:
Saboth wrote on Mar 1, 2018, 22:14:
The man needs to be removed from office before he destroys our economy.

While I agree, the U.S. economy has slowly decayed for a few decades now. A slow motion cliff dive or kicking the can down the road. There's also this report that suggests the Fed won't be able to bail out anything during a next recession.

Trumps "Budget" Summarized

Older article but good, Why the US has really gone broke (tldr, High Military Spending Drains Innovation, Investment and Manufacturing Strength from the Civilian Economy)

The multiple still ongoing military 'adventures' debt will be thrown onto the shoulders of our children and their children and so on. I think in at least a couple more generations though the U.S. will probably go through a change as younger generations take over and try something new.

The environmental debt is worse. The next 5 generations will pay the cost regardless, but we can suck it up and make it a little less brutal for our descendants by doing some work now. I have a feeling it would be cheaper than the current methods in the long run in any case, but momentum is with those who made a whole lotta money and therefore influence out of burning dead shit so nothing will change.

News Comments > Trump Calls Game Meeting
26. Re: Trump Calls Game Meeting Mar 2, 2018, 10:02 Numinar

sliv wrote on Mar 2, 2018, 09:44:
ECHO CHAMBER! .... echo chamber ... echo chamber ...
ECHO CHAMBER! .... echo chamber ... echo chamber ...

Yep, it's still working

Maybe. Or maybe your ideas are wrong and/or you are in the very tiny, possibly idiotic minority. At least on this board.

News Comments > PC CHRONO TRIGGER Released
9. Re: PC CHRONO TRIGGER Released Feb 28, 2018, 06:45 Numinar

Man I'm tempted, the OG game was the best. So much better than stinky boring FF.

What are those anime bits? And I wonder how the sound is. The dedicated sound hardware on the Amiga/Snes usually results in remakes sounding super wrong and weak.

News Comments > Into the Breach Released
4. Re: Into the Breach Released Feb 28, 2018, 02:48 Numinar

Instabuy, sight unseen. FTL gave me hundreds of dollars in fun value. Hopefully these guys manage to pump out a few more games before my inevitable heart attack.  

News Comments > More Sea of Thieves Scale Testing
1. Re: More Sea of Thieves Scale Testing Feb 24, 2018, 00:16 Numinar

It's amazing how well the networking in this works. Glad they are doing all these tests now instead of waiting for it to shake out on launch day.  

News Comments > Age of Empires: Definitive Edition Released
5. Re: Age of Empires: Definitive Edition Released Feb 21, 2018, 02:18 Numinar

What? There already was one of there?

AOE2 and RoN, the cream of historical RTS, both had a bit of spit, polish and compatibility work done on them by Skybox. But they were more along the lines of restoring and old car. AoE2 didn't turn out great, RoN was wonderful once they patched a display bug I had for almost two years.

If they have done a decent amount of UI work, this will be more like restoring an old car but replacing key parts with future bits that make it great. Like airconditioning and a USB charger.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 17, 2018, 23:50 Numinar

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 17, 2018, 12:44:
I want my alien life right now... maybe they'll accept a German refugee? Literally everything would be better than having to live with my fucked up government for another 50 years. But I am German enough not to want to move to any other nation, because I think in the grand scheme of things, Germany is the best place to live... but that's a downward facing scale ;p

And yes, I would even migrate to a Zerg Hive Cluster, don't care, can't be worse than dyslexic old as shit politicians doing things that ruin your life in the future just so they can win a popular vote.

What? A German decrying democracy and pining for an Autocratic alternative? I never!

But yeah, your country is pretty good. I would have stayed there after my 6 years or so but my brain was not groking that language too well. My mates who married natives are doing ok though. Bavaria is an absolute jewel of a place.

News Comments > Eugen Systems Strike
1. Re: Eugen Systems Strike Feb 16, 2018, 22:45 Numinar

Yikes!

I think they are onto something good with SD44, the new missions are exactly what I want out of my co-op RTS's (Short of a Wargame ALB/RD style co-op campaign).

But if they are getting taken advantage of that sucks. Hope it's not indicative of inadequate sales, there is nothing else quite like Ruse/Wargame/Steel Division 44 and it would suck if this was one of the last releases. But if you cannot afford to pay your workers properly, you don't have a viable business.

News Comments > Sea of Thieves Scale Test This Weekend
1. Re: Sea of Thieves Scale Test This Weekend Feb 16, 2018, 03:13 Numinar

Cannot wait to go back! Itís a special thing. Also Iím too poor and distant from the icean to sail in real life on the reg.  

News Comments > Kingdom Come: Deliverance Delivered
28. Re: Kingdom Come: Deliverance Delivered Feb 15, 2018, 04:03 Numinar

Steele Johnson wrote on Feb 15, 2018, 01:38:
Itís one of those games that will be a pleasure to play in about a year when all the nasty bugs and annoyances are fixed, with the added bonus of it being $12 on a Steam sale.

Granted I've only done the opening part of the game, but it looks and runs fine on my 390x at 1440p. 30-45 fps, with most stuff turned up fairly high.

Maybe there was a patch or something? I only started this last night.

Feels fresh. I don't think it's like Fallout/Skyrim with Bethesda's patented "Something interesting every 200 meters" design. Seems a bit more sparse than that, but I think they are going for a bit more of a conservative feel here. I think killing someone might be a big deal, as I haven't managed it yet. I did choke out a sleeping guy who had previously whooped my ass in a fist fight and took his stuff to pay off a debt. But all the soldiers I've tried to kill have thrashed me with their training and armor.

And yeah, surprisingly no bugs yet. No crashes, no nasty frame dropping, no floating NPC's or objects. Kind of weird for a game of this scale. Hope all that polish doesn't run out once you leave the starting areas.

News Comments > THQ Nordic Buying Koch Media
16. Re: THQ Nordic Buying Koch Media Feb 15, 2018, 03:52 Numinar

My old firm! Hope the new owners look after the good peeps there in Munich and elsewhere.

Kingdom Come Deliverance seems really good in the few hours I put in, runs and looks better than the reviewers seem to indicate, maybe the day 1 patches helped out (Or a rare case of my AMD card actually being good, as with Sea of Thieves).

Mostly reading the in game wiki to work out what was going on so far. Feels like FPP Witcher without the magic bits, or maybe historical Elder Scrolls would be more appropriate. I'm almost glad I wasn't there for this game though, probably a total nightmare to QA this kind of thing. Just thinking of the poor buggers I'd made 100% the thing gives me the willies. I've only spent a few days total catching trains and driving through the Czech Republic, but the foresty bits sure did look a lot like this game.

Dad got it for his XBOX1X and my mum got it for her new laptop without even asking me so they must have gotten some good press/marketing going on.

News Comments > Sea of Thieves System Requirements
6. Re: Sea of Thieves System Requirements Feb 13, 2018, 11:10 Numinar

YourNick wrote on Feb 13, 2018, 10:31:
So a GTX 1080 would be 4k@45fps?

Maybe. Maybe more. My midrange 2015/2016 i6600 with the room-heating 390x ran it at 1440p maxed out just fine, not sure what frame rate but it felt more than adequate for drunken pirate antics.

It's been a good 8 years or so since I last had to share my xbox username, but if anyone here wants to get nautical I am all for it!

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
12. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 13, 2018, 07:56 Numinar

Cutter wrote on Feb 12, 2018, 16:10:
D_K_night wrote on Feb 12, 2018, 15:23:
Well we're not any better if we treat one person as representative of the many, right? They can easily point to whackos from our own religions and go "well before you cast the first stone look to your own"

Really? And what are the Christian/Jewish/Buddhist punishments for adultery, homosexuality, or apostasy? Nothing. Islam? Death by stoning. Which still happens on a near daily basis in the Muslim world. And how many "whackos" from those aforementioned religions are committing terrorist acts compared to the Muslims? Maybe at a ratio of 1 to 10,000? And how many of those aforementioned religions make their women cover up from head to toe? Or allow and encourage polygamy and the marriage and sex with children? And the list goes on and on and on. But yeah, feel free to defend Islam and say that all the religions are equally as bad. I'm sure that's how it seems in the liberal fantasy world. They're not bad, just misunderstood, right? Good grief. Rolleyes

ďWithout criticism of Islam, Islam will remain unassailed in its dogmatic, fanatical, medieval fortress; ossified, totalitarian and intolerant. It will continue to stifle thought, human rights, individuality, originality and truth.Ē
ó Wafa Sultan

And yet the biggest terrorist acts originating in Canada were not Muslim, but Sikh in origin. Yet you are not murder-by-droning Sikh provinces in India now, are you?

998 Comments. 50 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo