Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Vince

Real Name Vince   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Numinar
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2006, 06:24
Total Comments 966 (Graduate)
User ID 24402

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Age of Empires: Definitive Edition Released
5. Re: Age of Empires: Definitive Edition Released Feb 21, 2018, 02:18 Numinar

What? There already was one of there?

AOE2 and RoN, the cream of historical RTS, both had a bit of spit, polish and compatibility work done on them by Skybox. But they were more along the lines of restoring and old car. AoE2 didn't turn out great, RoN was wonderful once they patched a display bug I had for almost two years.

If they have done a decent amount of UI work, this will be more like restoring an old car but replacing key parts with future bits that make it great. Like airconditioning and a USB charger.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 17, 2018, 23:50 Numinar

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 17, 2018, 12:44:
I want my alien life right now... maybe they'll accept a German refugee? Literally everything would be better than having to live with my fucked up government for another 50 years. But I am German enough not to want to move to any other nation, because I think in the grand scheme of things, Germany is the best place to live... but that's a downward facing scale ;p

And yes, I would even migrate to a Zerg Hive Cluster, don't care, can't be worse than dyslexic old as shit politicians doing things that ruin your life in the future just so they can win a popular vote.

What? A German decrying democracy and pining for an Autocratic alternative? I never!

But yeah, your country is pretty good. I would have stayed there after my 6 years or so but my brain was not groking that language too well. My mates who married natives are doing ok though. Bavaria is an absolute jewel of a place.

News Comments > Eugen Systems Strike
1. Re: Eugen Systems Strike Feb 16, 2018, 22:45 Numinar

Yikes!

I think they are onto something good with SD44, the new missions are exactly what I want out of my co-op RTS's (Short of a Wargame ALB/RD style co-op campaign).

But if they are getting taken advantage of that sucks. Hope it's not indicative of inadequate sales, there is nothing else quite like Ruse/Wargame/Steel Division 44 and it would suck if this was one of the last releases. But if you cannot afford to pay your workers properly, you don't have a viable business.

News Comments > Sea of Thieves Scale Test This Weekend
1. Re: Sea of Thieves Scale Test This Weekend Feb 16, 2018, 03:13 Numinar

Cannot wait to go back! Itís a special thing. Also Iím too poor and distant from the icean to sail in real life on the reg.  

News Comments > Kingdom Come: Deliverance Delivered
28. Re: Kingdom Come: Deliverance Delivered Feb 15, 2018, 04:03 Numinar

Steele Johnson wrote on Feb 15, 2018, 01:38:
Itís one of those games that will be a pleasure to play in about a year when all the nasty bugs and annoyances are fixed, with the added bonus of it being $12 on a Steam sale.

Granted I've only done the opening part of the game, but it looks and runs fine on my 390x at 1440p. 30-45 fps, with most stuff turned up fairly high.

Maybe there was a patch or something? I only started this last night.

Feels fresh. I don't think it's like Fallout/Skyrim with Bethesda's patented "Something interesting every 200 meters" design. Seems a bit more sparse than that, but I think they are going for a bit more of a conservative feel here. I think killing someone might be a big deal, as I haven't managed it yet. I did choke out a sleeping guy who had previously whooped my ass in a fist fight and took his stuff to pay off a debt. But all the soldiers I've tried to kill have thrashed me with their training and armor.

And yeah, surprisingly no bugs yet. No crashes, no nasty frame dropping, no floating NPC's or objects. Kind of weird for a game of this scale. Hope all that polish doesn't run out once you leave the starting areas.

News Comments > THQ Nordic Buying Koch Media
16. Re: THQ Nordic Buying Koch Media Feb 15, 2018, 03:52 Numinar

My old firm! Hope the new owners look after the good peeps there in Munich and elsewhere.

Kingdom Come Deliverance seems really good in the few hours I put in, runs and looks better than the reviewers seem to indicate, maybe the day 1 patches helped out (Or a rare case of my AMD card actually being good, as with Sea of Thieves).

Mostly reading the in game wiki to work out what was going on so far. Feels like FPP Witcher without the magic bits, or maybe historical Elder Scrolls would be more appropriate. I'm almost glad I wasn't there for this game though, probably a total nightmare to QA this kind of thing. Just thinking of the poor buggers I'd made 100% the thing gives me the willies. I've only spent a few days total catching trains and driving through the Czech Republic, but the foresty bits sure did look a lot like this game.

Dad got it for his XBOX1X and my mum got it for her new laptop without even asking me so they must have gotten some good press/marketing going on.

News Comments > Sea of Thieves System Requirements
6. Re: Sea of Thieves System Requirements Feb 13, 2018, 11:10 Numinar

YourNick wrote on Feb 13, 2018, 10:31:
So a GTX 1080 would be 4k@45fps?

Maybe. Maybe more. My midrange 2015/2016 i6600 with the room-heating 390x ran it at 1440p maxed out just fine, not sure what frame rate but it felt more than adequate for drunken pirate antics.

It's been a good 8 years or so since I last had to share my xbox username, but if anyone here wants to get nautical I am all for it!

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
12. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 13, 2018, 07:56 Numinar

Cutter wrote on Feb 12, 2018, 16:10:
D_K_night wrote on Feb 12, 2018, 15:23:
Well we're not any better if we treat one person as representative of the many, right? They can easily point to whackos from our own religions and go "well before you cast the first stone look to your own"

Really? And what are the Christian/Jewish/Buddhist punishments for adultery, homosexuality, or apostasy? Nothing. Islam? Death by stoning. Which still happens on a near daily basis in the Muslim world. And how many "whackos" from those aforementioned religions are committing terrorist acts compared to the Muslims? Maybe at a ratio of 1 to 10,000? And how many of those aforementioned religions make their women cover up from head to toe? Or allow and encourage polygamy and the marriage and sex with children? And the list goes on and on and on. But yeah, feel free to defend Islam and say that all the religions are equally as bad. I'm sure that's how it seems in the liberal fantasy world. They're not bad, just misunderstood, right? Good grief. Rolleyes

ďWithout criticism of Islam, Islam will remain unassailed in its dogmatic, fanatical, medieval fortress; ossified, totalitarian and intolerant. It will continue to stifle thought, human rights, individuality, originality and truth.Ē
ó Wafa Sultan

And yet the biggest terrorist acts originating in Canada were not Muslim, but Sikh in origin. Yet you are not murder-by-droning Sikh provinces in India now, are you?

News Comments > Activision Blizzard Reports Record Results
1. Re: Activision Blizzard Reports Record Results Feb 8, 2018, 21:25 Numinar

I wonder if Blizzard bean-counters are wondering if it's ever worth releasing a game again. Graphics updates, blind boxes and expansion packs seem to be doing enough with minimum risk.  

News Comments > Dawn of War 3 Sets
26. Re: Dawn of War 3 Sets Feb 8, 2018, 20:59 Numinar

I tried this on the free weekend... it's the first Relic RTS I haven't purchased.

Production quality seemed good. The scale was amazing but it needed Supcom-style UI and screen zoom. I just wasn't given the tools to manage all those units and special abilities.

I uninstalled it after a few MP games with my dad and said "pass" at the very reasonable sale price. I cannot believe this game reviewed so well. And that SP campaign? Gross.

COH1 and DOW were both very innovative, especially COH, which threw out a lot of the genre's anachronisms (As with SUPCOM) which is smart, you cannot compete with Starcraft on it's terms. Even it's own sequel has failed at that.

Even DOW2 took it in a direction a lot hated but was still enjoyable on it's own terms. This thing seems like a kitchen sink of content and no direction or vision.

The maps were awful as well. I know they are hard to balance, but the maps should look like the better COH maps, like actual places, with destructible structures and bridges and objectives which make sense, like hills and choke points. Not like the generic flat land multi player arena starcraft style nonsense.

News Comments > Kerbal Space Program Making History Next Month
1. Re: Kerbal Space Program Making History Next Month Feb 7, 2018, 10:45 Numinar

Still one of the most important games ever made, but the last year or so of updates have been kind of lackluster.

This mario maker stuff could be great. Would love a good stock visual/UI/performance makeover though.

News Comments > Steam Top 10 9
14. Re: Steam Top <strike>10</strike> 9 Feb 5, 2018, 01:32 Numinar

Jerykk wrote on Feb 4, 2018, 23:18:
Quinn wrote on Feb 4, 2018, 13:39:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on Feb 4, 2018, 13:27:
Happy to see Subnautica doing so well, especially with how long it was in Early Access.

Yes. Sadly, the rest of the list is fucking pathetic. Hard to get excited.

Why is it pathetic? There's a good variety of games on there and a lot of new ones.

I wonder if he got the sloppy seconds of GTAV or the consolised PCMR darling Witcher 3.

I don't use my PS4 much these days unless it's Minecraft with the kid (Console Minecraft has splitscreen and way better crafting, but I think they might be rolling that into the WIN10 app eventually) but I wouldn't shit on anyone who uses it as their primary. It served me well pre-current PC build. Arkham Knight, MGSV, Destiny. Good games that ran super well on it.

None of these dickheads are ashamed that their car isn't a Lamborghini or their house isn't a 14 bedroom mansion, but are happy to shit on people going the zero-maintenance plug and play cost effective (Unless you buy a lot of games, which casuals don't) route. It's another aspect of gamer culture that makes me loathe to admit being a part of, where as once I was a full on proselytizer for.

News Comments > Elite Dangerous Expedition Plans
12. Re: Elite Dangerous Expedition Plans Feb 5, 2018, 01:19 Numinar

|RaptoR| wrote on Feb 4, 2018, 22:28:
Rigs wrote on Feb 4, 2018, 20:27:
Cutter wrote on Feb 4, 2018, 19:03:
Finally got around to uninstalling. Complete waste of $10. Watching paint dry is more entertaining than this game. X Rebirth complete on the other hand is actually fun and nice to look at. Can't wait for X4.

The last half of your comment invalidates the first half by a rather large margin. If you can sit here and tell me that X: Rebirth has more value and plays better than Elite:Dangerous with a straight face then your opinion is highly suspect.

*waits for the inevitable reply that I'm an idiot, not worth listening to, should shut my fucking mouth and, oh, my mother was a whore*

=-Rigs-=

Cutter hasn't had any valuable contributions to this forum since July 2006

I dunno, he is not wrong on Elite. It's not meant for everyone.

It's a universe that does not give a fuck about you, because you are not only not the center of it, you are not even a relevant data point in it outside those you get into a brouhaha with (Which is nobody if you play solo or in a PVE private group). If you organise with some people you might be able to flip a system or mess with the economy locally or troll a cancer patient but in a games market where every game involves you being the motherfucking chosen one I think it's a brave, dedicated design decision that should be applauded.

I myself love it the same way I love the Truck Simulator series, or Sid Meier's Pirates! Elite has more variety than that but it's still the same idea. It's an approximation of an actual job. It's about discipline, repetitiveness, having the radio set to something good, beers and the odd pirate/griefer encounter/smart car collision. The attachment you build with your rig/ship as it gets you through the good times and bad, learning it's limitations and strengths.

I don't think I could do this long distance shit in Elite unless I got a divorce and had people to hang with, but it really is an astonishingly beautiful game. I think the furtherest I've been from the civilised bubble is 3k ly before I ran out of beer, gave up and made a beeline for home. I'm sure with some decent engineer upgrades and company it's a lot more fun and might be worth it but in an uncaring universe it takes a specific mindset that is at odds with the delayed but inevitable gratification of almost every other game which is engineered like drugs to pay out as you go, for me the most recent example would be Subnautica, where it may take effort and it doesn't do much hand holding, but you will definately get cooler shit/vehicles/efficiency if you put in the time and do a little planning.

News Comments > More on PUBG Versus Cheaters
8. Re: More on PUBG Versus Cheaters Feb 3, 2018, 20:53 Numinar

Cutter wrote on Feb 3, 2018, 12:52:
Player-run moderated servers don't have these problems.

BS. It was pretty bad back then. And if the cheaters were not being a pain (It was hard to perma ban people using pirated software and spoofed accounts) the mods themselves were being a pain.

I admit, I had a few good servers for Actionquake and Operation Flashpoint, but they took a lot of work to keep a few dozen people happy in game out of a total weekly user population of 200 or so.

This game is dealing with this: http://steamspy.com/app/578080

I don't think it would have gotten those numbers with parochial community run servers. Though ARK and a few others try, I wouldn't rate any of those experiences better than a cheater filled game of PUBG.

News Comments > Sea of Thieves Beta Extended
11. Re: Sea of Thieves Beta Extended Jan 27, 2018, 09:00 Numinar

SacredGinmill wrote on Jan 27, 2018, 02:16:
Every time I join a 4 man crew, I end up with a bunch of xbox players (not a bad thing on its own) who then proceed to immediately put me in jail because I won't use voice chat.

I have a mic that I use in other games and on vent regularly, but I can't seem to get it to work in this game.

The game has no key assignment for push-to-talk even though that is an option. Some say it is the alt key.

The game has an option to have voice chat go to speakers or headphones, but how is that even defined on my system?

I have been playing more Subnautica.

Yeah no mic is a little rough on a sailing ship, but it can work if it's just one of the crew. Had one guy for a few hours the other day that just spoke through emotes and still seemed to be the best spotter/treasure seeker. It's a lot easier to miss a typer than a talker though.

I normally go push to talk as well. Hopefully they sort this out for the full release as so far the UI screams 'Xbox primary platform' which is reasonable since it is MS but still.

News Comments > Sea of Thieves Beta Extended
9. Re: Sea of Thieves Beta Extended Jan 26, 2018, 23:43 Numinar

I think it's great. Very unique. I've enjoyed it with a crew of drunk strangers and even sailing alone is kind of cool, especially solo galleon! The quests are not super deep, and are all variations of the same thing so far, but are more than fun enough. And you can always go full pirate and steal other peoples chests once they have done the work if you want.

It was perfect on the first day, started getting crashes and lag issues yesterday. Full price for an MP only game might be hard to swallow, but If I'm not sick of it by the end of the Beta, which seems likely, I'm on it for sure.

And it's got a great look to it. The cartoon look might disappoint some but the lighting and water effects are top level.

News Comments > Elite Dangerous: Beyond, Chapter One Beta
2. Re: Elite Dangerous: Beyond, Chapter One Beta Jan 26, 2018, 02:14 Numinar

Cutter wrote on Jan 25, 2018, 22:26:
Just snagged X Rebirth Complete for 12 Freedom Dollars off Humble Store and there's just so much more going on than ED.

Yeah, ED is pretty dry. But that is also what it's going for.

Get back and let me know how Rebirth goes. I've never heard anyone say anything nice about it in relation to any other game, including it's predecessors. Or being happy with any amount of money they spent on it. I have a vague recollection of bad character models, no proper 6DOF and the most horrendous hyperspace mini-game I have ever played followed by immediate uninstall.

News Comments > PUBG Changes Today
2. Re: PUBG Changes Today Jan 25, 2018, 11:59 Numinar

Retired wrote on Jan 24, 2018, 21:28:
The hackers have changed their cheats already. They have moved the hit zone of their aimbots from the head to the body. In hopes to avoid a HS% ban.

They should have never announced they are GOING to ban, they should have just done it. They still haven't banned the "100,000" they said they were going to.....idiots.

Cheats are in 2/3rds of the games I am in.

Oh man that sucks. Had a good run last week, lots of high score finishes without any obvious hacking (Though possibly.probably lots of subtle "1 shot in 20 to the head" and clever ESP usage, like the brits in WW2". But that's still an improvement over what was happening a few weeks ago.

Want to get into it again, but between Sea of Thieves, Rust (the horror) and this MH4 nonsense calling my name I cannot imagine starting it up unless I see a few mates on already.

As for this performance fix, sounds weak. I thought the whole point of the 100 players in the lobby at the start was to stress test the server and client performance so people know if they can handle that, it would handle anything. I guess they are calling it quits and saying "99% of the time, we only have to manage 3-20 people within firing distance of each other" which sucks as I'm sure custom games and tournaments will push that limit super hard.

News Comments > Sea of Thieves Beta Issues
3. Re: Sea of Thieves Beta Issues Jan 25, 2018, 11:17 Numinar

Muscular Beaver wrote on Jan 25, 2018, 09:08:
Numinar wrote on Jan 25, 2018, 07:22:
Oh man this is amazing. They have channeled the anarchy of something like Rust into a engine for excessive piratey silliness. And that water deserves a Bafta. I'm hooked.

Also it's way more polished than some post release games I have that have been out a few years. Phenomenal. Who knows if there is enough there, but the framework would support a LOT of extra content, especially if they can keep adding islands and quests at a decent rate.

It's the co-op/competitive Wind Waker game I didn't know I wanted.
Too bad Microsoft has its "PC games supportive" paws on it again. That means many people cant play it on the PC.

No doubt. I was lucky and it worked flawlessly. Xbox target specs means tnruns smooth on my mid-low range and card as well. And ts gorgeous. Itís 3am and I donít want to sleep, I will stay on till I pass out because itís unpredictable, crazy, relaxing, weird, satisfying, infuriating, everything. One of the first games since Payday 2 where I can enjoy the game with randoms.

News Comments > Sea of Thieves Beta Issues
1. Re: Sea of Thieves Beta Issues Jan 25, 2018, 07:22 Numinar

Oh man this is amazing. They have channeled the anarchy of something like Rust into a engine for excessive piratey silliness. And that water deserves a Bafta. I'm hooked.

Also it's way more polished than some post release games I have that have been out a few years. Phenomenal. Who knows if there is enough there, but the framework would support a LOT of extra content, especially if they can keep adding islands and quests at a decent rate.

It's the co-op/competitive Wind Waker game I didn't know I wanted.

966 Comments. 49 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo