Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Vince

Real Name Vince   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Numinar
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2006, 06:24
Total Comments 782 (Graduate)
User ID 24402

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Battlefield: Bad Company 3 Plans Leaked?
14. Re: Battlefield: Bad Company 3 Plans Leaked? Dec 13, 2017, 11:49 Numinar

DangerDog wrote on Dec 12, 2017, 17:18:
They've already said that the Sci-Fi shooter arena is too congested for them to make BF2143, even though I would really like to have that game over the endless Titanfall games and half-assed attempts at making a "Star Wars not battlefield game".

BFBC3 makes the most sense, even the vietnam/cold war era as they can hit a those "diversity" notes without treading into historical controversy people like to drum up. Black people in my WWI game?

You could easily microtransaction cosmetics in vietnam/cold war era type game as well.

I would have liked the series to have picked up where BFBC2 left off, the Russians invading the US and playing out a Red Dawn type scenario in US maps.

Eveyrhting you say makes sense other than the black people in WW1 quip. Though BF1 is far from accurate in how it potrays non-whites (And almost every other aspect of the war) in it's various theaters, it was a world war involving two of the greatest colonial powers of the time who were more than happy to conscript soldiers from their foreign possessions. Hundreds of thousands of 'colored' people from Africa and Asia fought on the western front and served support roles. That you think that it's forced diversity says more about the kind of media produced about the conflict and your lack of education than it does about the imaginary SJW crusade, which if it exists has reasonable grounds to try and correct the record.

France alone conscripted almost half a million African troops for the western front, a big part of the reason why Germany with it's superior population and birthrate compared to the allied forces lost.

The failure of the Triple Entente to reward it's possessions with some autonomy after their people bled on a continent not their own and where they were not seen as full 'humans' played a big role in the dismantling of those colonial empires.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
13. Re: etc. Dec 13, 2017, 06:02 Numinar

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Dec 12, 2017, 05:20:
Numinar wrote on Dec 12, 2017, 00:55:

How do you feel about the randomized skin colour and penis size in Rust? How would you feel if there was a tiny outline of a shrunken dick bulge on the male model? I'm just wondering about the worldview of dudes who think this is a big deal.

No fucks given at all. Just like I couldn't give a single fuck if they made the person 89lbs or 430lbs and did more rolling then walking to get around. You're kinda missing the point though. That is, you have a group of people complaining because something is offending their sensibilities. They're no different then a religious nut screeching that D&D and Harry Potter are satanic.

The women I understand. The views I've seen show they think it's kinda gross or don't care, which means it is probably worth changing. Maybe some girls want some camel toe? I haven't heard from any yet.
"gross" jesus it's like I'm in grade 5 and it's the 1980's all over again. It bothers me more that people are "outraged" over camel toe, rather then letting the studio and artists make the game however they want with whatever models they want. Remember the outrage over D:OS and boobplate? Bet you don't, but it was the same complete whining by exactly the same types of people. But hey, don't worry that some whiny puritan is getting upset and they want shit censored because it hurts their feelings or they have some massive desire to virtue signal over it while fedora tipping.

Here's a question for you: Do you think FFVII with it's entire crossdressing + scenes in the Honey Bee Inn would be made today? Or do you think that the socjus people would be screeching that it's homophobic/sexist/misogynist and demanding that it be removed. Keep in mind the absolute stupid garbage that's gone on at localization studios the last 3 years as well. Or that Tifa would exist as she does? You go read that petulant whining over xenoblade?

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 12, 2017, 01:59:
Good to see relevant issues are causing uproars on the internet...

oh wait... nevermind
Yeah well don't worry. I'm sure that getting a mesh changed because camel toe was more pressing then getting involved with an anti-slavery group, and trying to stop what's going on in africa.

You know what, I get it. I see what you are scared of, I don't want the outrage brigade or the religious right or some mullah/bishop/CSM bigwig forcing their banal conformity on artists like they have tried and failed to do in the past either.

I just don't feel it yet or see it here. I don't see how somebody finding something in a game gross and letting the developer know on twitter is censorship. If the developer/artist really cared enough about it they could have stood up to these complaints and backed their vision (As I'm sure all those hentai anime games do), but it turns out they didn't care. Because detailed flangery was never a part of their vision.

News Comments > Grim Fandango Remastered Free with GOG Winter Sale
11. Re: Grim Fandango Remastered Free with GOG Winter Sale Dec 13, 2017, 05:43 Numinar

I love all the Lucasarts titles, except Loom which I never really got into (I should try again, that guy in the tavern really seems to like it).

But Grim is the best. Best puzzles, characters, dialogue, music, story and it's loooooong. Hits me right in the feels every time like that dog getting old in Futurama.

So thank you GOG, I will own it on a 5th platform!

News Comments > etc.
10. Re: etc. Dec 12, 2017, 00:55 Numinar

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Dec 11, 2017, 23:17:
Beamer wrote on Dec 11, 2017, 15:04:
Look, someone said something positive about women! Time for MA to sweep in and put them in their place!

How is "having camel toe in an action game is stupid" censorship? You have the worst priorities of any living man. Which, frankly, makes sense, I've seen you defend Trump around these parts.
Look! Someone decided that they wanted to go into pre-1970's sexual revolution mode. Looks like Beamer is happy regressive who finds sexuality disgusting. So, let me guess the only way you find women pretty is when they're wearing 4 lengths of black cloth, gloves, and showing no ankle right? It makes sense, considering all the other much progressive stuff you push.

Really, tell everyone who's worse: The person who wants developers not to change something because of a harping mob. Or the person clapping their hands with glee in apparent support of it.

edit: here's an article just for you beamer So you can also jump on the pro-censorship train, and complain about those sexualized anime titties.

How do you feel about the randomized skin colour and penis size in Rust? How would you feel if there was a tiny outline of a shrunken dick bulge on the male model? I'm just wondering about the worldview of dudes who think this is a big deal.

The women I understand. The views I've seen show they think it's kinda gross or don't care, which means it is probably worth changing. Maybe some girls want some camel toe? I haven't heard from any yet.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 10, 2017, 03:41 Numinar

Cutter wrote on Dec 8, 2017, 15:03:
Berg was sentenced in 2012 to nearly two decades behind bars for bamboozling his clients – many of whom were senior citizens – out of their life savings to fund a Ponzi scheme Berg was using to support his high-flying life.

So why was this motherfucker in a minimum-security work camp? How is that any less worse than some punk who robs a store with a gun for $50? If anything it's a million times worse because not only the crime itself but he's destroyed peoples lives. He's destroyed their ability to trust anymore. That's far more violent than an armed robbery. Pigs like that should be in a Supermax until the day the die. Let them live out their remaining days in hell on earth.

Because their economic and justice system is a holdover from the days when people actively wanted to keep blacks incarcerated and working for free after they lost a civil ware over the issue. White collar crime is just a bit of wayward ambition!

News Comments > GTFO Trailer
9. Re: GTFO Announced Dec 9, 2017, 17:49 Numinar

I don't mean to white night somebody's wrong headed business decisions but did you ever play Payday 2? It's a great game. The DLC was always optional, and you could play on the fancy DLC heists if you saw one being hosted by someone else. If they cut half of the heists before release it's probably because the effort to polish them would have taken a year, the scenarios have a lot of variables and alternate configurations. I don't think anyone has ever cut fully developed content from a game, it will usually be stuff that is too complicated/unfinished/undercooked for release unless it's Day 1 DLC, which for most devs is something easy and small, like a few weapons or alternate skins or a shitty quest chain with no relevance to the rest of the game.

I didn't buy DLC for a few years, and then got ALL of it in a recent sale for basically nothing as a friend wanted to play again. Totally worth it, and I'll keep an eye on this game as it's an awesome, not quite saturated genre. Vermintide and Paradox games follow a similar model and if that's the price a fan has to pay for a game he is still playing 5 years after release then that seems reasonable, it's a fraction of what a subscription would cost.

Though I am certain this is not what they did, if the game is released with half the content sequestered for later sale, and is still wildly successful because the stuff it does have is fun and replayable, then big whoop regardless.

News Comments > Ubisoft Delays Far Cry 5, The Crew 2, and a Third Game
9. Re: Ubisoft Delays Far Cry 5, The Crew 2, and a Third Game Dec 8, 2017, 04:29 Numinar

I dunno guys, I'm pretty Hype for FC5 and the quality of Wildlands (Even if it was a bit repetitive) and AC Origins gives me a good feeling about what is coming. Big fan of 3 and 4. I hope they stick the boot riiiiight into meth addled rural religious white supremacist types whilst making them uncomfortably sympathetic like they did to asian narco autocrats in the last few games.  

News Comments > The Battle for Star Control Continues
11. Re: The Battle for Star Control Continues Dec 6, 2017, 23:59 Numinar

Creston wrote on Dec 6, 2017, 09:33:
Beamer wrote on Dec 6, 2017, 08:21:
Numinar wrote on Dec 6, 2017, 08:07:
a game willing to let you fail after dozens of hours invested, like the OG Xcom. Absolute classic.

Have you played the new XCOMs? They do that, too?

Fail after dozens of hours? Oh shit yeah. That Avatar clock is merciless, as are the Chosen. When they come to attack your base, and you don't have a force capable of stopping them, they will gank you and it's bye bye. And this can happen after an easy 20 to 30 hours (it takes a while anyway, since the Chosen have to build up intel before they track down your base.)

Oh yeah they do! I just forgot as although I love those games, I have neither played or failed at either of them enough to remember them like the absolute ass whooping UFO:EU gave me many times when I was half the age I am now or younger. (I think for both firaxis games I started, realised I’m stupid then restarted, finished and forgot everything that happened in them)

I feel the newer games are more board-games than the older ones, which is something I like, but that early 90’s communion/xfiles theme and the map generator, destructibility and “enemy movement” black screen of foreboding sounds and sick midi tracks of that first game felt a lot more impactful than the newer stuff. Haven’t tried the Xcom2 expansion yet maybe that brings a bit more of that back.

News Comments > The Battle for Star Control Continues
4. Re: The Battle for Star Control Continues Dec 6, 2017, 08:07 Numinar

Nailbender wrote on Dec 6, 2017, 03:34:
"For those not interested in the original DOS experience, there is the amazing Ur-Quan Masters project which is free."

...which offers both the original DOS experience as well as the 3DO one. Free of charge. On modern systems.

I've played through the OG game over half a dozen times since 92', and UQM a few as well. This bruhaha and the blissfully forgetful years since I last had a run inspired me to follow the link to UQMHD that was posted earlier in the feud, and so far it seems real good. The redone art feels like the better double-fine restorations, though it doesn't do native 1400p. Some games are worth it even with big black borders though. It's monkey island in spaaaaaaace and it's a game willing to let you fail after dozens of hours invested, like the OG Xcom. Absolute classic.

News Comments > Who Controls Star Control?
17. Re: Who Controls Star Control? Dec 4, 2017, 08:12 Numinar

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Dec 4, 2017, 06:47:
It's worth noting that Brad Wardell is famous for sexually harassing a female employee, sending her a 'sexual purity test', making unwanted sexual contact, telling sexist and vulgar jokes and violating her private life. When she filed a lawsuit he then manufactured a counter-suit to destroy her credibility. It ended with a behind the scenes settlement that involved the woman publicly apologising but it's pretty obvious he paid her off.

Unsurprisingly for someone obsessed with sexual purity he is also a devout conservative famous for boycotting UPS after they withdrew advertising from Fox News due to Glenn Beck making racist and derogatory remarks about Obama.

Put simply he's a bit of an arsehole and it wouldn't surprise me one bit if the allegations made by the original developers are entirely true.

It fucking sucks. These women stay quiet as making a complaint no matter how vaild makes you poisonous to litigation phobic corporations who find it easier to keep the lecherous creeps they employ or answer to happy than handle complaints properly. You take the money because your chances of getting another job are greatly reduced so unless you are independently wealthy there is no profit in sticking to your guns.

Though who knows, maybe she was gold digging through litigation and he in an innocent conservative wanker? Seems less likely and certainly not profitable long term.

14. Re: Who Controls Star Control? Dec 4, 2017, 03:48 Numinar

jdreyer wrote on Dec 4, 2017, 01:37:
Cutter wrote on Dec 3, 2017, 17:21:
Sounds like Atari screwed both of them. Regarless. If Stardock owns the name and TM there's sweet FA they can do about it except stop being whiny bitches and just make an homage with a different name. If it's good they'll make oodles of money regardless so who cares. Most gamers today will have never heard of Star Control to begin with so it's really not that big a loss.

The problem with losing the Star Control name is that you lose all those sales to nostalgic middle-aged men who will buy it even if they'll never play it. That's at least half your sales right there.

Nope! I didn’t fall for MOO remake (or SC3, MOO3) and I won’t fall for this. Gotta earn my loyalty again. And most old people are even more suspicious than me of nostalgia fishing.

13. Re: Who Controls Star Control? Dec 4, 2017, 03:45 Numinar

The only way to settle this is for both parties to launch into space, Stardock gets all of the galaxy spinward, Paul and Fred get it all antispin and can sell their respective games in within their domain. When they meet again in a million years they can battle to decide who owns it all and give one scrappy, upstart race a slim chance to build a confederacy/alliance/federation and save the galaxy from this impending Armageddon of internet shitposting.  

News Comments > Get The Bureau: XCOM Declassified for Free
6. Re: Get The Bureau: XCOM Declassified for Free Dec 1, 2017, 01:52 Numinar

opie wrote on Nov 30, 2017, 20:56:
Cutter wrote on Nov 30, 2017, 20:39:

What IGN thing? Anyway, good game. I picked it up ages ago for a fiver or something. Quite enjoyed it actually.

Could not disagree more. If you miss this, you will be fine. I'd call it 4th worst Xcom game behind enforcer, Xcom3 and interceptor.

Begone with your anti Xcom Apocalypse heresy! But also maybe they could have dialed it back a bit with the sim everything realtime stuff... Hopefully the new Frozen Synapse game brings the idea home.

News Comments > Bungie Outlines Destiny 2 Plans
3. Re: Bungie Outlines Destiny 2 Plans Nov 29, 2017, 23:34 Numinar

I have 100 hours on PS4 and still haven't got the exclusive sniper, though it's meant to be good.

As for the exclusive strike, I'm not sure which one it is and they might as well not have them in the game at all at the moment as nightfall is barely worth it unless you are grinding out to 305.

Great game though. I have spent sooooo much money on other stuff that the jump to PC might have to wait for a bit, maybe even for next major content. It'll still all be there.

News Comments > Civilization VI Expansion Announced
2. Re: Civilization VI Expansion Announced Nov 29, 2017, 01:14 Numinar

Red886 wrote on Nov 29, 2017, 00:47:
SO, they just went back to localizing happiness?

Previous features from earlier entrys re-imagined. Could be great but makes for a wet sock of a presser.

The current one, as with the new x-com games, is a bit too 'board gamey' for my liking (And I love board games!). It's a good way to get a streamlined, MP friendly design and has helped the games immensely in some ways but I feel they miss something that their predecessors had, the kind of gritty half-attempts at simulation that 90's designers had to focus on to distract us from the terrible graphics. Or maybe it's something else.

I don't know why Civ-6 isn't on consoles. Seems like an easy jump and a good money maker, guess they took a bath on the Xcom port? Game is no Civ 4 or even 5 but it's great fun and very accessible. I just wish the districts were communicated better, it's almost as opaque as the districts in Endless Legend and that game is french and super confusing as a design goal it seems so that is saying something.

News Comments > Destiny 2 Free Trial Tomorrow
2. Re: Destiny 2 Free Trial Tomorrow Nov 27, 2017, 20:49 Numinar

Id say give it a go if you like the idea of something with far less but more bespoke loot than Diablo 3 with superb Bungie shooting mechanics and production values. I think it's great. You run out of things to do after 100 hours or so but they are fun if you have good people to roll with and there is always more stuff on the way.  

News Comments > Black Friday Legal Briefs
3. Re: Black Friday Legal Briefs Nov 24, 2017, 22:37 Numinar

In the unlikely event this actually gets investigated and the bastards responsible prosecuted/or their monopolies broken up they will just try again, and within a few years this kind of thing will be much harder to detect.  

News Comments > Stellaris Humanoids Species Pack Next Month
9. Re: Stellaris Humanoids Species Pack Next Month Nov 24, 2017, 19:02 Numinar

Why all the butthurt? Game was good at release, even better now even without buying the gameplay DLC.

Yeah, this is expensive cosmetic DLC. You don't need it, but it's nice to have and will eventually be a couple of bucks which makes it worth it if it's a game you play all the time and will probably play forever like CK2 for me, and EU4/this for others.

Once I get 100+ hours into a game, all that nickle and dime action seems a lot more palatable. That CEO or whoever that said games are underpriced was only half right. If you make a product good enough people will accessorise it, as with these well supported regularly updated Paradox titles. But if you product is crap and forces people to buy lootboxes to progress in a meaningful fashion, well that is not going to work out.

News Comments > Door Kickers Adds Co-op
1. Re: Door Kickers Adds Co-op Nov 24, 2017, 18:46 Numinar

No pause after start in co-op, but that should be ok, though much harder to get those perfect mission completes. Bit more like the OG Rainbow Six games that way.

One of the best little games I've ever played. Was awesome to have when I was relegated to a potato for gaming.

News Comments > etc.
24. Re: etc. Nov 21, 2017, 23:01 Numinar

And I would pay those higher prices if the product is worth it. With boardgames, there are products in the more premium range that go for triple or more the standard price.

Though to get away with it, production value, content and quality need to be through the roof.

Games like Kerbal and Factorio have given me thousands of dollars of entertainment, on the other hand I don't buy COD because even when I like the campaign, it's lucky to last a weekend.

782 Comments. 40 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo