Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Vince

Real Name Vince   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Numinar
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2006, 06:24
Total Comments 591 (Apprentice)
User ID 24402

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Civilization VI Specifications
13. Re: Civilization VI Specifications Sep 25, 2016, 07:42 Numinar

jdreyer wrote on Sep 24, 2016, 12:27:
descender wrote on Sep 23, 2016, 20:18:
I know this isn't what he meant but I don't know why anyone buys these games before the 2 expansions and the GOTY version drop. I suppose some people just hate their money :p

I usually wait to buy a new Civ until after the first expansion. I was very satisfied with Civ 5 + Gods & Kings, that I didn't even pick up the second expansion. I'll probably do the same with this one.

Brave New World was good, but the bolted on nature of the espionage/religion/trade mechanics made the game feel bloated, as opposed to the empty shallowness of the initial release. Hopefully by baking all those mechanics into the game at launch they wont feel so much like easy to forget busywork. They can still do expansions where they reworks the game in a fundamental way as they did in V, but it will be with more of an eye to making the game better instead of shoehorning mechanics and concepts that should have been at launch.

The series is still missing stuff. Remember the global warming and nuclear wasteland mechanics from 2? That is still probably my favorite civ, though none have ever been short of awesome except vanilla Civ V and that is not a universal opinion. They've earned the hype for a new one.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
19. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 23, 2016, 04:30 Numinar

Task wrote on Sep 22, 2016, 12:48:
- lowest voter turnout (2012) at 54% in American history, between 1800-1900 it was 80-90%

To be fair, in the 19th century voting day was a big, exclusively white male pissup. I bet we would get 90% of eligible voters out if we were getting bribed by booze to crawl from booth to booth these days as well. I would be up at 7am if this was the case. It would be like a little one day Oktoberfest.

Really feeling for you guys, and all the smaller countries whose governments and economies are utterly corrupted by your multinationals and intelligence agencies.

News Comments > Rocket League AquaDome Next Month
13. Re: Rocket League AquaDome Next Month Sep 23, 2016, 04:21 Numinar

SpectralMeat wrote on Sep 22, 2016, 12:53:
Yep, this is how DLC should be done for all MP focused games, so playerbase doesn't get severed.
All maps/game modes are free, cosmetic stuff paid DLC.
I wish more devs/publishers would follow what these guys are doing.

This only works if your game is super awesome, replayable and maintains popularity so for 99% of developers it's not a good strategy. This game is a keeper and good to see it has ongoing support funded by gambling for cosmetics. I already have dozens of cool wheels and smoke effects from the base game unlocks and one or two car DLC packs I bought, not sure if I will buy anymore cars if they don't come with some customization already though.

News Comments > Cossacks 3 Released
4. Re: Cossacks 3 Released Sep 22, 2016, 08:07 Numinar

It sure has that old school vibe. I think it might just be the OG Cossacks, in 3d. Not a bad thing but it's missing some of the cooler aspects of the sequels, but it's also a lot more accessible. It would be nice if the drummers for each formation sounded like they were doing something, the oars on ferries actually rowed and the upgrades had some imagination like the old Ensemble/Blizzard games but that's all little shit and I'll give them a pass because it's 20 bucks.

It's a bit bare bones (No in game key list/rebinding function I can see) and a bit crashy. The loco job feels very Eastern European as well, bless them.

And the trailer is a bit bullshit, it doesn't let you zoom out that far. Not far enough to be honest. The formation function is fiddly and not as awesome as Empire/Napoleon either so unless I'm missing something it's still mostly blob vs blob.

I was really annoyed I couldn't get the older games to work properly on my current machine, so this partially fixes that. And hopefully at the cheap price the devs will keep patching, improving and maybe working in some more modern UI stuff from Supcom/Total War to make it control like a dream (Would be nice to have the function from TW where you can hold space bar and see where your units are going to finish up and how they are getting there). If you are hankering for that late 90's early 2000's RTS vibe but in 3D HD it's quite well done.

It's had one patch since I got it last night and another hours away so there is hope it will be where it needs to be for some planned epic comp-stomp with the family by the weekend.

Also, this kind of enthusiastic english as a second language stuff is great, though it could use a bit of toning down in the game itself.

We will release a new patch in the evening
Dear friends, by the today's evening we will release a big patch
after which many of your problems will be gone forever!
We understand that caused a lot of dissatisfaction with the fact that the game has a very disturbing live bugs, but we'll do everything possible to ensure that very soon you have rejoiced product without any complaints.
Please wait for the evening news!

News Comments > Elite Dangerous May Drop Win32 and DX10
23. Re: Elite Dangerous May Drop Win32 and DX10 Sep 20, 2016, 03:46 Numinar

Sounds good to me. If I had a computer that this would be a problem for on Elite I'd be sad but could hardly blame Frontier for it. I doubt they will just kill the 32 bit client either, you probably just get locked out of the next "Season" (The paid for yearly expansion packs).

Anyone here still play? I love the game but have trouble playing it casually. It will grab me by the balls for weeks at a time like WOW or WoT if I even dip my toes in.

News Comments > 4A Games Sci-Fi Tease?
3. Re: 4A Games Sci-Fi Tease? Sep 17, 2016, 02:14 Numinar

Wallshadows wrote on Sep 17, 2016, 01:45:
If VR had a FPS then Metro would be an amazing thing. I tremble at the thought of the system requirements though.

Well, they got Metro LL working very well on an XBOX 360, I'm sure they can optimise it. In a former life I did a little QA on that title and it's one of the few I can say I never got sick of replaying for the thousandth time, which is wierd for a linear shooter.

I get the feeling you can drop a few effects with VR since depth is built into it already. The strict FP view, detail and minutia of the stations and abandoned cities of the original games seem to lend themselves perfectly to the VR experience.

News Comments > South Park: The Fractured But Whole Delayed
16. Re: South Park: The Fractured But Whole Delayed Sep 16, 2016, 05:53 Numinar

I haven't finished an FF game since 6. 7 had it's moments but was way too much of a dumb grind.

The last South Park game was brilliant and the only FF style combat game I've enjoyed since Golden Sun. It wasn't just a good game, it was a good mini-series length set of South Park episodes as well.

Square's last good game was Chrono Trigger. They are as dead as Atari, Interplay, Bullfrog and Origin to me. Enjoy FFX for those that make that choice, I guess people somewhere must still like that nonsense.

News Comments > Company of Heroes Turns 10
1. Re: Company of Heroes Turns 10 Sep 13, 2016, 05:25 Numinar

A great game and the original campaign is still fun. I like COH2 as well but the campaign is not as enjoyable, and it felt like a retread instead of the groundbreaking visceral rethink of RTS that the original was. Hopefully they take some risks with 3, increase zoom-out levels and let it become the awesome platoon-level RTS it should be instead of doubling down on archaic RTS tropes in search of that white whale called esports.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
18. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2016, 10:30 Numinar

jdreyer wrote on Sep 9, 2016, 02:29:
Creston wrote on Sep 8, 2016, 21:59:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 8, 2016, 13:53:
nin wrote on Sep 8, 2016, 09:42:
Creston wrote on Sep 8, 2016, 09:41:
Happy Birthday, Star Trek! If only you weren't being used by CBS in a retarded attempt to draw interest to their BS online service.

Pretty much that, exactly. Fuck cbs...

Wow, so there's no confidence at all that this will be any good?

It could be the greatest Star Trek show of all time, but I'll be well and truly fucked before I'm going to pay whatever they charge for a streaming service that gives me more ads than an actual fucking tv show would.

So the odds of me ever getting to see it are basically zero.

Wow, I just assumed no ads, a la Netflix and Amazon Prime. Although it looks like they'll be offering an ad-free version for $10, the same as Netflix.

That's crazy. Make your ad version free, and let people pay $5 per month for the ad-free one. There's no way they're going to get any takers at $10/month. They just don't have the content.

It's all on Netflix down here in AU, add free and HD-ish. Hopefully the new one arrives there as well due to the usually annoying international licensing agreements and isn't bollocks as I'm indoctrinating my 7yo with TOS. Was going to start chronologically with Enterprise but it doesn't seem worth it despite how awesome the premise is. At the current rate we should be through TNG about the time she is 40.

News Comments > Halo 5 Forge for Windows 10
15. Re: Halo 5 Forge for Windows 10 Sep 9, 2016, 02:42 Numinar

I had to update windows for this, I guess I must have turned updates off after the auto-download messed up my connection during a game of ARMA. Probably the only thing about the new OS that has annoyed me so far (Oh, and some admin functions got bumped up to the pro version, that sucks as well).

Yeah it's a Trojan horse of malware and state sponsored surveillance, but I traded my privacy to silicon valley a long time ago. I'm pretty sure google/apple have known exactly how long and often I spend taking a shit for a few years now.

I love me some Halo, skipped 5 because I skipped that console (For the time being) so this will be nice. Seems to have all the non co-op/warzone MP content but no matchmaking which makes it kind of useless.

Cool that people have a way to make and test their levels on another platform though. Forge maps and customs nights were always a highlight in H3 and Reach. Hopefully they learn their lessons from this on how to make a proper PC game, knowledge they somehow lost in the last few decades.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
6. Re: Morning Interviews Sep 9, 2016, 02:34 Numinar

Quboid wrote on Sep 8, 2016, 16:23:
I hate censorship and groupthink as much as anyone but telling people what they should or shouldn't put in their game or review or essay seems a bit messed up.

Told by the sort of person who would describe themselves as "a supporter of free speech and expression", no less. Gotta love the old "shut up because free speech" argument.

I didn't say they should shut up, I just said their position on such matters is bullshit. Free marketplace of ideas and all that. "Games used to be dumb and apolitical and they always should be" is ridiculous.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
4. Re: Morning Interviews Sep 8, 2016, 02:24 Numinar

Some of my best friends are Yianopolis talking points spouting Kotaku in action regurgitating nightmare people but I still love them. Wait, that's kind of like what racist people say when prefacing criticism isn't it. Oh oh.

And there has been some good from it, I guess? Preview fluff pieces have a little more cynicism in them now for those that are incapable of brining their own? That gamejourno pros expose was illuminating but self policing in the end, as someone on it leaked the bullshit that crossed the line from network of freelancers and editors to something worse so whatever.

Some of the platform just seems gross though. Like keeping politics out of games? That would be a bit boring. That wouldn't have gone down well with Heinlein or Wells. Or does it just apply to SJW politics? Silence and purge right?

I mean, I hate censorship and groupthink as much as anyone but telling people what they should or shouldn't put in their game or review or essay seems a bit messed up. Discuss and criticise by all means but shutting them down and calling them cucks makes you seem like Virtual brownshirts. At least these evil SJWs actually got jobs and made shit other than terribad parody song videos and hate fueled muckraking message board culture.

News Comments > Interplay IPs for Sale
21. Re: Interplay IPs for Sale Sep 8, 2016, 00:39 Numinar

Hope my bros over in Deep Silver will show up at the fire sale and reunite a certain IP with a certain developer they picked up at the THQ one.  

News Comments > Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary Edition World Tour
23. Re: Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary Edition World Tour Sep 4, 2016, 03:08 Numinar

Might be interested in this if it has MP. I remember ringing up a 40 dollar phone bill for playing someone outside the city limits in this and Warcraft. Pipebombs are go!  

News Comments > EA Service Outages
5. Re: EA Service Outages Sep 1, 2016, 02:13 Numinar

This is good, I need more DDOS attacks to keep me out of that gorgeous game and prevent anyone finding out how embarrassingly bad I am at it.

I like how the tanks feels super scary to face down compared to the older games. The boarding animations are a big improvement as well, they are even better than Halo as you stay in first person. Good stuff.

News Comments > BATTLELINE: STEEL WARFARE Released
2. Re: BATTLELINE: STEEL WARFARE Released Aug 30, 2016, 07:46 Numinar

WoT is my one F2P guilty pleasure other than TF2.

I'd prefer someone made a tank game going the other direction though, instead of RTS control over other tanks let us go with multi-crew vehicles requiring teamwork to operate, like in Jane's Longbow 2. We haven't had a proper tank sim in a decade and it seems like there is demand, we have DCS for planes but a WW2/Cold war tank sim would be awesome. ARMA does multi crew stuff ok but it's still infantry focused and pretty simple. Something as accessible and fast as WoT would be nice though.

Not sure how fun they are in modern times, you are either steamrolling cannon fodder or coping it from BVR missiles and man launched AT.

News Comments > etc., etc.
3. Re: etc., etc. Aug 30, 2016, 07:20 Numinar

Le Havre is a great boardgame and has a good port on IOS as well if you want to learn the game. I wish they could work out how to cram Twilight Struggle onto the bigger phones, can't justify tablet purchase just for that.  

News Comments > BioShock: The Collection Videos
9. Re: BioShock: The Collection Videos Aug 29, 2016, 03:31 Numinar

Yeah running old games in 1440p (I don't earn 4k money) is fun, but it's nice if the textures, models and effects get an extra pass to make them shine. Proper optimization should help them run better than the originals as well seeing as the hardware and software we are using probably didn't exist back then.

That said, could be a shitty update. Hopefully not though, it's a cool series. I'm planning a replay for sure if it turns out ok. Never played 2, never finished 1 past the would you kindly reveal, enjoyed Infinite from start to finish.

News Comments > Halo 5: Forge PC Specs
21. Re: Halo 5: Forge PC Specs Aug 28, 2016, 01:06 Numinar

HoSpanky wrote on Aug 27, 2016, 14:09:
Lol @ "ultra 4K 60fps!" Who cares, an editor can run at 10 FPS and it wouldn't really matter in the end. If there's no GAME, this thing is pretty pointless. Anyone interested in making Forge maps has already mastered the version ON the XBone.

I don't have an XBone yet but forge IS the game. One button press changes you from editor to player. It is all done in Multiplayer realtime to test changes and have fun. I can't remember the player limit in editor but it might have been 8, half that of normal halo MP (but you could switch mode to normal to allow the full 16 in). It was super impressive tech in Halo 3 a decade ago. Forge matches involved fun things like dropping tanks on people and raining power cores.

Also it takes place on pre-existing maps, so when they say Forge mode, it is probably all/most of the MP content for the game (except the 4p co-op campaign of course). That said 343 ripped campaign splitscreen out of the main game (losing at least one loyal customers console and game sale, me) so who knows how gimped this version is, but the fact it's on PC for free is a good thing for existing users even if the appeal is limited for most PC users. I for one enjoy Halo MP immensely so will give it a go.

This comment was edited on Aug 28, 2016, 01:52.

News Comments > Planet Coaster Preorders
5. Re: Planet Coaster Preorders Aug 27, 2016, 03:38 Numinar

I assumed this would be good considering how awesome RCT3 and Elite are, good to hear I was right for once.  

591 Comments. 30 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo