Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Vince

Real Name Vince   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Numinar
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2006, 06:24
Total Comments 576 (Apprentice)
User ID 24402

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > BATTLELINE: STEEL WARFARE Released
2. Re: BATTLELINE: STEEL WARFARE Released Aug 30, 2016, 07:46 Numinar

WoT is my one F2P guilty pleasure other than TF2.

I'd prefer someone made a tank game going the other direction though, instead of RTS control over other tanks let us go with multi-crew vehicles requiring teamwork to operate, like in Jane's Longbow 2. We haven't had a proper tank sim in a decade and it seems like there is demand, we have DCS for planes but a WW2/Cold war tank sim would be awesome. ARMA does multi crew stuff ok but it's still infantry focused and pretty simple. Something as accessible and fast as WoT would be nice though.

Not sure how fun they are in modern times, you are either steamrolling cannon fodder or coping it from BVR missiles and man launched AT.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc., etc.
3. Re: etc., etc. Aug 30, 2016, 07:20 Numinar

Le Havre is a great boardgame and has a good port on IOS as well if you want to learn the game. I wish they could work out how to cram Twilight Struggle onto the bigger phones, can't justify tablet purchase just for that.  

News Comments > BioShock: The Collection Videos
9. Re: BioShock: The Collection Videos Aug 29, 2016, 03:31 Numinar

Yeah running old games in 1440p (I don't earn 4k money) is fun, but it's nice if the textures, models and effects get an extra pass to make them shine. Proper optimization should help them run better than the originals as well seeing as the hardware and software we are using probably didn't exist back then.

That said, could be a shitty update. Hopefully not though, it's a cool series. I'm planning a replay for sure if it turns out ok. Never played 2, never finished 1 past the would you kindly reveal, enjoyed Infinite from start to finish.

News Comments > Halo 5: Forge PC Specs
21. Re: Halo 5: Forge PC Specs Aug 28, 2016, 01:06 Numinar

HoSpanky wrote on Aug 27, 2016, 14:09:
Lol @ "ultra 4K 60fps!" Who cares, an editor can run at 10 FPS and it wouldn't really matter in the end. If there's no GAME, this thing is pretty pointless. Anyone interested in making Forge maps has already mastered the version ON the XBone.

I don't have an XBone yet but forge IS the game. One button press changes you from editor to player. It is all done in Multiplayer realtime to test changes and have fun. I can't remember the player limit in editor but it might have been 8, half that of normal halo MP (but you could switch mode to normal to allow the full 16 in). It was super impressive tech in Halo 3 a decade ago. Forge matches involved fun things like dropping tanks on people and raining power cores.

Also it takes place on pre-existing maps, so when they say Forge mode, it is probably all/most of the MP content for the game (except the 4p co-op campaign of course). That said 343 ripped campaign splitscreen out of the main game (losing at least one loyal customers console and game sale, me) so who knows how gimped this version is, but the fact it's on PC for free is a good thing for existing users even if the appeal is limited for most PC users. I for one enjoy Halo MP immensely so will give it a go.

This comment was edited on Aug 28, 2016, 01:52.

News Comments > Planet Coaster Preorders
5. Re: Planet Coaster Preorders Aug 27, 2016, 03:38 Numinar

I assumed this would be good considering how awesome RCT3 and Elite are, good to hear I was right for once.  

News Comments > Sid Meier's Civilization VI 25th Anniversary Edition Announced
9. Re: Sid Meier's Civilization VI 25th Anniversary Edition Announced Aug 25, 2016, 08:34 Numinar

Kosumo wrote on Aug 25, 2016, 04:15:
Got to be the best series of games over the years, well done (could swear it was longer, sure was faking illness at 12 to say home and play the first one on the Amiga)

Best series? Hmmm... it's certainly consistently good value for money and seems to take unforced risks with it's formula which is a good thing, even if it doesn't always work so I think I might agree.

First Civ was great, but 2 was the high water mark for me. Nuclear wastelands, climate change disasters, killer music, throne rooms and leader animations on the CD-ROM. So epic.

3 still to me has some of the coolest terrain and development graphics. The combat had an interesting rework.

4 was almost better than 2, but optimum play (Village farming) got a bit boring and the 3d graphics didn't feel quite as snappy as the older games. Fall from Heaven 2 turned out to be the best part of it's legacy.

Civ V is amazing... now. And still gets the odd patch which is awesome (And expected given it's probably still selling super well all these years later).

Yet I'm still a bit wary of pre-order given they are hiding a (usually vanilla) civ in it and after the pretty thin launch and dodgy DLC program behind Civ 5, the tech issues at launch of Xcom 2 and the banality of Beyond Earth - Firaxis, as much as I love them, need to wait for my cash (Though they will eventually get it no doubt unless something truly terrible happens).

Xcom 2 was awesome despite the initial tech problems and Civ 5 got REALLY good once the two expansions (And super cheap DLC sales) brought the thunder so I imagine whatever this game ends up being at launch it will end up being a worthy Civ game after a year or two. But fingers crossed for launch!

Railroads and Pirates! Are desperate for modern updates as well lads, get on it! Also Xcom 3 needs even more of the simulation-style systems of the OG Microprose games please. My wallet is waiting.

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: etc., etc. Aug 24, 2016, 05:09 Numinar

Wolfenstein co-op? Awesome! Wish there was more splitscreen support on PC. It's got a power and resolution advantage over consoles and works fantastic in the few games that support it properly. EA would have gotten a PvZ2 sale off me for sure if they hadn't dropped that functionality. Would have finally picked up burnout paradise in the Steam sale as well but that doesn't have it either dispite all the previous burnouts having it on the OG Xbox. They are missing out on some grass-roots fan base development of a feature that can't be that expensive if it was in every major console FPS from two decades ago. Get the kids/siblings while they are young.

The single-screen games are a huge hit in my home. Gangbeasts, Towerfall, Samurai Gunn, Battleblock, Castle Crashers, Monaco and others all go down a treat and seem to recreate the 8/16 bit era MP games as you remember them, not as they were. I bet there is a lot of demand for the N64/OG Xbox style split screen FPS/racing games as well.

This comment was edited on Aug 24, 2016, 05:39.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 24, 2016, 00:11 Numinar

Sweet, overclocked electric cars! That will help with the fires!

Ok, easy to make fun of but at least they are trying something new with these and his rockets. Or if not new at least following through with an idea whose time should have come a long ago.

News Comments > Metal Gear Survive Announced
25. Re: Metal Gear Survive Announced Aug 18, 2016, 02:10 Numinar

I got a bit bored of TPP before the end, but it seems crying out for co-op. Like an awesome arcade version of ARMA, some good tech there.  

News Comments > Blue Byte's PC Legacy
3. Re: Blue Byte's PC Legacy Aug 15, 2016, 12:26 Numinar

First two settlers games were great. Battle Isle 1/2 would make for an awesome IOS/tablet title as well, I don't understand why there are not good Battle Isle (Or Advance wars for that matter) ports on touch devices, it's about the only genre they would be great for.  

News Comments > Assault Squad 2: Men of War Origins This Month
3. Re: Assault Squad 2: Men of War Origins This Month Aug 14, 2016, 00:31 Numinar

Still enjoying assault squad 2 with the old man, but some heroes of world war 2 style scripted missions would be awesome. Skirmish is too easy or too hard depending on difficulty setting for us.

This comment was edited on Aug 14, 2016, 01:14.

News Comments > No Man's Sky Released
41. Re: No Man's Sky Released Aug 13, 2016, 04:55 Numinar

The Half Elf wrote on Aug 13, 2016, 04:11:
I'm enjoying it.

Had an issue with framerate, but set the cap at unlimited and as TB mentioned in his video I turned everything to low and then back to high and haven't had any major issues except when flying along the surface for long perios of time the game will studder for a second to load up more terrain.

Only on my 2nd planet (barren, no animals, and no hyperdrive yet) and I've spent about 5 hours just looking for upgrades (inventory/ship/multi-tool).

I'm enjoying it. But make no mistake it's a mining game with spaceships.

It feels like it's the space ship part of Destiny that Destiny didn't get. I think I might wait for a patch or two before sinking my teeth into it though given the troubles.

Being a space simpleton though I enjoy three thousand light year exploration sessions in Elite, so add some spore animals and I'm sold!

News Comments > No Man's Sky Launch & Workarounds
61. Re: No Man's Sky Launch & Workarounds Aug 12, 2016, 22:06 Numinar

Stormsinger wrote on Aug 12, 2016, 20:21:
RedEye9 wrote on Aug 12, 2016, 19:55:
Stormsinger wrote on Aug 12, 2016, 18:59:
NKD wrote on Aug 12, 2016, 12:31:
Moog wrote on Aug 12, 2016, 11:55:

I thought it was traditional to QA a product *before* release!

Oooohohohoho. I don't know when that was.
That would have been before the internet removed the costs involved in releasing patches. Prior to that, a company had to ship disks to their customers, so they made a -serious- effort to ensure the game was playable out of the box.
Those days were horrible for both the consumer and the developer. This is the golden age of computer gaming.
I don't necessarily disagree that things gaming are generally better now. But in that one area (QA), it was definitely better then.

For shorter, often less ambitious games with fewer online functions and target platforms and costing twice as much to the consumer. Although maybe that dosnt explain all of it. It might be that there is so much competition and dev/QA costs are so high that when games go over budget/release date they just have to release or go under.

A lot of older games have pretty shitty bugs that never got fixed even with patches. Dungeon keeper and OG XCOM to name a few. And bloody Origin made a habit of releasing games that never seemed to run well on mortal human computers until a few years after release (Except WC3, that was great).

I've done a bit of the old QA. Even with a decent budget and time it's a rough show with devs missing milestones and impossible to repro nightmare bugs that they seem incable of addressing. Could be some decent money in it for anyone who thinks they could run a QA shop right.

For AAA I don't think anyone releases a game that is solid on day 1 without a patch for everyone on release. Prison Architect and Factorio seem to have nailed the process in EA (read crowdsourcing free QA for sandbox genres that seem to thrive on it) but my other favourite example of Kerbal seems to have screwed the pooch with recent releases, maybe due to trying to put their fingers in the console pie but who knows.

News Comments > Master of Orion This Month
9. Re: Master of Orion This Month Aug 12, 2016, 05:59 Numinar

nin wrote on Aug 11, 2016, 15:55:
Ozmodan wrote on Aug 11, 2016, 15:29:
Sad I wasted money on this game, not as good as MOO 3 and that was not a great game.

Weren't you the one who was just slamming people for buying NMS?

Yeah, how does one fall for this? MOO3 and Star Control 3 were my first big heartbreakers, MOO remake no mater how well intentioned should alway be a wait and see proposition.

I had my hopes up with their MOO 1 level of abstraction on the management side, but nostalgia farmers do not get a free pass, ever (Unless Chris Roberts for some reason).

News Comments > IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Moscow Begins
6. Re: IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Moscow Begins Aug 12, 2016, 02:21 Numinar

Someone let me know if this is any good. Used to love IL2-46, all the releases since seem kind of naff though (Cliffs of Dover ended up being this century's Falcon 4.0, and sunk the dev with a premature bug ridden release).

Would love a modern, DX11/12/Vulkan AAA sim. The best tank, sub and combat flight sims are all a decade year old with only F2P tripe to replace it.

A modern Silent Hunter (Not the abominations of 4/5), Janes Longbow, modern EAW or M1A1 game would be so good. A good multi-crew network capable sim would be amazing but there must be no money in it or someone would be kick-starting it.

The eastern european sims are ok, and usually get the details right, but never seem to be able to make an actual "game" around it.

News Comments > etc.
15. Re: etc. Aug 10, 2016, 07:54 Numinar

Still pissed at the shitty print quality on my BG2 map.  

News Comments > BioShock Remastered Trailer
8. Re: BioShock Remastered Trailer Aug 10, 2016, 00:58 Numinar

Cutter wrote on Aug 9, 2016, 21:49:
Looks great but won't be buying it until all 3 hit the bundle bin for $5 or less.

I think that's how much I got the first two games for when they announced that the remastered update is free for PC users with the current versions (I had infinite on steam already, Had 1 on disc, never had 2).

News Comments > No Man's Sky is Very Very Chill
40. Re: No Man's Sky is Very Very Chill Aug 9, 2016, 10:42 Numinar

I'm liking what I see so far, classy destiny UI, awesome art direction, killer soundtrack.

PIRATES! Is still one of my favorite games, and very few aimless loot treadmills can compare to it, but this looks like a fun unique take. From the videos I've seen the exploration has a Morrowind feel about it as in cool geometry with rarely anything of value to find.

Waiting to see how the PC version turns out. the pop in on PS4 is a bit aggressive for my tastes on some planets.

News Comments > Amiga Software Library Archived
5. Re: Amiga Software Library Archived Aug 9, 2016, 05:48 Numinar

Some sweet cracktros there son.

I wonder what the chances are of any of my DSDD Amiga disks having recoverable data on them is, they need to be uploaded! For science! I mean history.

News Comments > Xbox One Controller Windows Issues
34. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Aug 8, 2016, 06:27 Numinar

Yeah DS4 is great, considering how garbage the PS3 ones were. Triggers still not quite as good as the MS ones but they are no longer horrible. I don't like dealing with third party programs as they never seem to be as fire and forget reliable as people make out, so mine stay hooked up to PS4 only for now. Maybe if my PC had Bluetooth that would be a different story.

Still have x360 controllers hooked up to PC for local 4 player games due to having lots of them and they seem to work for everything, annoyance at having to buy a stupid dongle long since dissipated. Two of them are 10 years old and still going strong, the use of disposable batteries coming into their own. MS makes some good hardware sometimes.

Early DS4's really sucked though, the rubber on the thumbsticks have disintegrated on mine, something they supposedly fixed after a few years.

576 Comments. 29 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo