Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Vince

Real Name Vince   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Numinar
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2006, 06:24
Total Comments 646 (Apprentice)
User ID 24402

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > etc., etc.
7. Re: etc., etc. Jan 10, 2017, 07:20 Numinar

DOOM was probably my best game last year, or at least top three. Nice to have an SP shooter campaign that wasn't just 5 hours of set pieces.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Citizen Engine Switch; Alpha Released for Backers
45. Re: Star Citizen Engine Switch; Alpha Released for Backers Dec 25, 2016, 05:56 Numinar

"I fully anticipate that in the coming year we will be hiring programmers who have taught themselves using Amazon's Lumberyard resources!"

Maybe I am having a case of the cynicism but that reads to me "We cannot afford experienced devs for this game anymore. We are going to switch over to some gun rookies from Eastern Europe".

Could work. Hungry scrappy fresh meat might bring the new ideas they need, or maybe hiring people who have never shipped a product is a bad idea for a company that has never shipped a product.

News Comments > New AMD ReLive Drivers
7. Re: New AMD ReLive Drivers Dec 22, 2016, 03:38 Numinar

I was off to work so took a gamble on pressing the 'Express install button' this morning, but that install, well, stalled so I reset the machine. Now I'm stuck on 16.12.1 and the update process says that's the latest. So I've either borked my drivers or they pulled the update.

Pretty happy with the 390x. I do miss the efficiency of the GTX's I used at work and previous computer but it runs Doom and BF1 like a dream at 1400p. Hopefully there are more GOOD DX12 and Vulkan implementations though.

News Comments > Battlefield 1 DLC Plans
8. Re: Battlefield 1 DLC Plans Dec 21, 2016, 09:34 Numinar

LittleMe wrote on Dec 20, 2016, 18:51:
Enjoying it yes but the rapid fire snipers and medics are far overpowered & imbalancing the game. Can a sniper in 1917 accurately fire long range at four shots a second? Medics dominate shotguns at medium range due to their rapid fire rate.

Everyone gets boutique/experimental/elite unit weapons that most people in this period never saw let alone got assigned. That's fun though. (There is a game mode with standard issue bolt action rifles but I haven't tried it yet) Most the maps are set during operations where some of these elite troops would have been present so it kind of works, but I wouldn't get hung up on it. It's probably about as realistic as battlefront.

Try Verdun if you want more realism (I think it is/was on special for about 10 bucks, last time I played plenty of servers to join). This is battlefield with WWI clothes on and it's a really good one of those. I'd argue that Medics are not primarily healers unless speced that way, they could have renamed that class. (Assault was healer in BF4 if I remember right). I love the mondragon optical personally.

Loadouts can modify your effective range but in general Assault is dominant at <25, Medics 25-75, Snipers at >75 (But at <125 can get counter-popped by medics depending on match up of guns). People way better than me seem to be able to break these rules though and good for them. Support seems to be a proper support, racking up sustained damage and assists at <100 and even helping much higher than that with suppression but I've played against a few that seem to mix it up with Assaults and do ok.

I am very suspicious of players that are able to head-shot with lewis guns from 200m but I only see that maybe one night a week if that. A lot of what seems like cheating is network compensation and kids that live BF and can walk up their bullets into your face while my calcified alcoholic old brain tries to comprehend what just happened. (My old man is a continent and 50ms further from our servers so sees more of the network nonsense).

That new map seems fine. The important thing is it's different to every other map, like all the shipping ones were. I think the maps are my favorite part of this BF. Each ones feels like a completely different game and they do ambiance better than most SP games. The consolised UI still needs work though, and the medal system should at the very least let you set a different target for each class, but they are all tiny annoyances that for us never really detract from the moment to moment fun, even when we are getting thrashed.

News Comments > PAYDAY 2: Scarface Heist
4. Re: PAYDAY 2: Scarface Heist Dec 18, 2016, 00:28 Numinar

It's a bit of a turn off but like Paradox it's all optional, only the host NEEDS the level and the vanilla game is super awesome, at least on PC.

And like paradox you wait until the DLC you actually want goes on discount.

If there is a Payday 3 I will be paying attention.

News Comments > Into the Black
4. Re: Into the Black Dec 17, 2016, 04:36 Numinar

Hopefully the film brings it. It's an amazing story. The real heroes and victims are the ones who fought the delaying action, either heroically in the knowledge of certain death or capture or involuntarily with the barrel of an officers gun or those of more elite units at their heads.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2016, 04:23 Numinar

Careful Blue. They sound like Teddy and Delores. Don't underestimate their ability to plot your downfall so they can be together forever. They were just experimenting with an attempt to have their enslavers succumb to frostbite.  

News Comments > AI War II Early Access in May
3. Re: AI War II Early Access in May Dec 17, 2016, 02:05 Numinar

I just can't get into these games. It's like an ugly janky SoaSE. And I keep falling for this Arcen stuff and giving them money because Valley Without Wind, Last Federation, that weird paradroid style rouge like thing and AI wars all seem like they were made for me and look amazing in still shots but when I go to play them they seem cheap, nasty and flavourless whilst buried under a text and numerals garbage truck dump of a UI. Maybe I'm getting too old or I'm just borderline retarded or something but it annoys me that I can't lose myself in them like I can Crusader Kings 2.

Music and still art are awesome though. I'm glad they have enough fans to keep making games even if they don't quite grab me like I wish they would.

News Comments > Next Total War Plans
11. Re: Next Total War Plans Dec 16, 2016, 22:08 Numinar

Task wrote on Dec 16, 2016, 20:26:
I haven't purchased a TW since Rome 2. Maybe not the series for me anymore, it happens I guess, we'll see.

From what I understand they have two separate teams now. One for "Warhammer" TW and the regular core group that does the "Historical"-likes.

Yeah Rome 2 was probably a lot of people's last TW. A lot of that massive profit was from the good will inspired by the OG Rome which might still be the best one there was, though I think Shogun 2 and expansions gives it a run for it's money. Warhammer is great fun though. Hopefully they learnt some lessons about how to add depth to both strategic and battle layers without making it a clusterfuck of quasi abstract UI vomit. I wont pre-order these anymore (Unless a reliable MP partner gets the bug and goes all in, that tends to make even crappy games worth the price) but they always have my attention. Nobody else is doing this kind of thing.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
2. Re: Evening Consolidation Dec 15, 2016, 21:20 Numinar

Cutter wrote on Dec 15, 2016, 21:08:
That's just not cricket, old sock.

Add day drinking (Pace yourself Oktoberfest style), week long matches and Sunburn and it pretty much is. The first one this team did was actually a really good game.

It's combination of lack of license and powerful player creation tools reminds me of the old TV sports games where my neighbor would spend countless hours recreating the players, trades and drafts every year to save on an Amiga disk. But now we have the internet and can just let others do that for us.

News Comments > American Truck Simulator Rescale Launches
7. Re: American Truck Simulator Rescale Launches Dec 14, 2016, 06:58 Numinar

Retired wrote on Dec 13, 2016, 15:58:
El Pit wrote on Dec 13, 2016, 10:52:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Dec 13, 2016, 08:41:
The Half Elf wrote on Dec 13, 2016, 07:54:
Sadly does not include Interstate 76

You'd think ActiBlizzard would be thinking about a remake sometime soon.

They would turn it into a MOBA or a card game.

*BARF

Lets just leave this alone. Some things are better in memory than re-implementation. You ever go back and play some of your "favorite" games from when you were a kid? We have been so spoiled by technology and growth that at times when I play some of those games it wrecks my joy. Most of them suck.

My theory is I76 was awesome because it was a mech combat game first (mechwarrior engine) car game second. Combat had a real sense of weight and the aesthetics played into the limited poly count perfectly. Was hoping the new mad max game, which is very strong in many ways, would play like an open-world version of i76 but of course it didn't, and perhaps couldn't. Nostalgia is such a corrupt emotion.

News Comments > Cossacks 3: Days of Brilliance Released
1. Re: Cossacks 3: Days of Brilliance Released Dec 14, 2016, 03:45 Numinar

Pollen can into Cossacks 3!

I love this game, but it needs a better UI. Something like Supcom or even TA would make for a huge improvement. You just don't get the tools to manage the insane scale.

News Comments > Battlefield 1 Patch Tomorrow
9. Re: Battlefield 1 Patch Tomorrow Dec 13, 2016, 08:26 Numinar

Task wrote on Dec 13, 2016, 08:20:
* Joystick now works without setting the controller layout to Custom

Joystick now works... wait let's enhance that... JOYSTICK.

Is this true?

Didn't try. I have a 20yo sidewinder but the flight model only seems X360 controller worthy (And peeps seem to do better with the mouse).

News Comments > Battlefield 1 Patch Tomorrow
4. Re: Battlefield 1 Patch Tomorrow Dec 12, 2016, 23:36 Numinar

NewMaxx wrote on Dec 12, 2016, 22:55:
The shotguns definitely needed patched. It was getting ridiculous and completely ruining certain maps like Argonne Forest. The 10-A Hunter was really the worst culprit because of its concentrated fire; getting one-hit killed at up to 20m with a shotgun is completely insane.

Didn't seem redicilous to me, but maybe that fairly modest effective range doesn't make any sense in this game. Never felt I was getting overwhelmed by them in Argonne, though the chat would go off about it for some reason. Everyone seems to switch to Hellreigel when they unlock that anyway.

Most fun BF game I've played, though there are plenty of bugs to fix with the UI. (They seem incapable of emulating the party system and chat features of the consoles) The sweet spot mechanic for sniper rifles is a bitter pill to swallow but I guess like the shotgun need there are good gameplay reasons for it.

Other than the UI bugs my one problem is once a week or so I feel like the cheaters infest the place, making repeated bullshit headshots with spray and pray weapons, instant 180 killshots and seem to know where you are when they shouldn't. Maybe I'm imagining it but most the time it feels like the others play with the same limitations you have even when they thrash you.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
25. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 8, 2016, 08:40 Numinar

Don't worry, once election season comes around again I'm sure Drumpf will let everyone have their fake news again. He has realised It's great for getting elected but useless for governing and that is a good thing.

Although who gets to decide what "fake news" is? I can see how it could go bad. How about we go back to calling them baseless, egregious lies?

News Comments > Assassin's Creed III for Free
10. Re: Assassin's Creed III for Free Dec 7, 2016, 18:00 Numinar

Along with 1,2 and Syndicate this is one of the ones I actually finished.

I know everyone hates it, maybe I'm distant enough from the culture not to get offended by any of it but I got a real Last of the Mohicans vibe from it and no other game has really done that so props to them.

I probably spent the most time in Black Flag, but enjoy pirating more than finishing missions so still not done despite probably 100 hours over two platforms.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
9. Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 6, 2016, 09:00 Numinar

The Half Elf wrote on Dec 6, 2016, 07:27:
NKD wrote on Dec 6, 2016, 07:07:
I used to criticize what kids are watching, but then I went and re-watched some of the cartoons and shit I watched as a kid and boy is it ever garbage.

80's Saturday Morning Cartoons are IMMORTAL!

Some of them were absolute trash. Astroboy and Starblazer still hold up in a weird way, and I encourage my Daughter to watch them. Transformers, he-man, Inspector Gadget, both Voltrons and many others are heartbreakingly bad (Despite awesome concepts and toys).

News Comments > Free Stellaris DLC
1. Re: Free Stellaris DLC Dec 5, 2016, 23:41 Numinar

Thanks Paradox! This turned out to be more Master of Orion than Crusader Kings in Space but that's ok. I hope the mod scene gets some traction and we get stories from there as well.  

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
3. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Dec 4, 2016, 03:35 Numinar

I imagine you would be able to automate such a "compromising tag" feature. I would hope the authorities have such algorithms already for hunting pedos, I wonder if you could build it into the phone without having to upload the photo.

As for this case, carelessness may have invited the breach of trust but is no excuse for it. I don't know why Toyota corporate would be on the hook though other than a naked (hur hur) attempt at a monster payout. I doubt their code of conduct for employees is any looser than most corporations.

News Comments > INSIDE Demo
7. Re: INSIDE Demo Nov 29, 2016, 01:55 Numinar

Yeah, it's better than Limbo and I loved Limbo. Someone mentioned Another World and it's not quite the tearjerker that game was but still very strong.  

646 Comments. 33 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo