Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 08/21

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Vince

Real Name Vince   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Numinar
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2006, 06:24
Total Comments 550 (Apprentice)
User ID 24402

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > No Man's Sky Trailer
33. Re: No Man's Sky Trailer Jul 28, 2016, 03:59 Numinar

I'm still into this. I like the proc gen in Elite and this seems to actually give you a reason/need to land and tool about on surfaces.

It looks like a 60's sci-fi novel cover come alive. Happy to fly about in that for a while, hope it's fun. I wonder if it has a hardcore respawn system, dropping you at another random spot at the edge of the galaxy with nothing Spelunky style.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Planet Coaster in Q4
4. Re: Planet Coaster in Q4 Jul 27, 2016, 20:15 Numinar

RCT3 was a miracle. Let's hope lightning strikes twice!  

News Comments > Supreme Ruler Trump Rising DLC Tomorrow
13. Re: Supreme Ruler Trump Rising DLC Tomorrow Jul 26, 2016, 21:10 Numinar

Task wrote on Jul 26, 2016, 09:46:
I like how people constantly fall for the Russian "threat" groupthink. Sounds a lot like projection to me. What is this, the 50s? 1812? 1941? The "bogeyman" under the bed or a Tom Clancy novel wet dream? No, the political circus today was inevitable from unchecked Corruption and I think it's great that game makers, as artists are making fun of it as an outlet like this.

And to the poster below that stated it's only Obama's fault for foreign policy is in my view naive. Obama signs off on what Advisers tell him or suggests, although that's not say he isn't complicit. They groupthink for Presidents, because that's what Technocrats do. They are unelected people that shape Imperial Policy whom Americans have no control over. Just look up Stratfor as an example, they have entire Thesis that sounds like they keep a Gobbels manifesto on their nightstand for bed time stories.

Hey I'm on the same page, I don't think the reds are under the bed. But they do have their own imperial ambitions and domestic issues to distract from though so I wouldn't put it past them to spend thousands of lives bullying and occupying their neighbors for fun and profit though (As the USA did in it's backyard last century) which they will have a pretty free hand at if Drumpf does a fraction of what he implies he will do with foreign policy. And if he leans toward Putin style governance domestically then you might have your 2nd but you will lose even more of the 4th. Guns didn't help the Branch Davidians, MOVE or even Cliven in the end. You are probably all safe though with checks and balances and whatnot but watch they don't get slowly infiltrated and neutered.

HRC will just continue to enable/ignore the MIC nightmare as-is with varying levels of success which is horrible but since it allows plebs like us in the west to say almost whatever we want wherever we want she comes out as the better of two evils... for us at least. Sorry Vietnamn, Indonesia, M.E. and almost everyone else.

But yeah, awesome that they can turn around commentary in the form of a game addon in an almost southpark timeframe. I think I'll wait for the Paradox/Clausewitz simulation of this period in history 20 years from now though.

News Comments > Supreme Ruler Trump Rising DLC Tomorrow
10. Re: Supreme Ruler Trump Rising DLC Tomorrow Jul 26, 2016, 04:50 Numinar

So the Russians are so desperate for someone incompetent to come in and give them a free hand in Europe or at least take the gas off the crippling sanctions and let their elite have access again to the cash they have siphoned out of their country that they have unleashed their troll army and state hackers upon your election.

I mean, it's the right move for them and the schadenfreude is delicious. How does having your domestic politics messed with by foreign intelligence services feel? It's not like you can claim the high moral ground here.

News Comments > Sid Meier's Civilization VI Preorder Bonus
3. Re: Sid Meier's Civilization VI Preorder Bonus Jul 21, 2016, 22:19 Numinar

Must be desperate to pull a stunt like this. I regretted my initial purchase of Civ 5 as it felt bare-bones and neutered. (But that game was amazing once I got the DLC and Expansions cheap on sale!) so won't pre-order this on principle though I love Firaxis.

Beyond Earth bombed, Xcom 2 was an ok launch of a great game (performance nowhere near where it needed to be at launch) and the genre is crowded with some pretty decent (mostly fantasy) entries now. At least with their flagship they are bound to polish it up and add the missing content, just need to wait until a few years after release and get it all cheap.

News Comments > PAC-MAN CHAMPIONSHIP EDITION 2 Announced
3. Re: PAC-MAN CHAMPIONSHIP EDITION 2 Announced Jul 21, 2016, 08:25 Numinar

Yeah the last one and it's expansion/update was great. Had a real geometry wars vibe about it.

Was hoping for a bit of simultaneous MP/co-op in the next one but looks like it's not happening.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
58. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 21, 2016, 00:19 Numinar

Seems like a good move on twitters part though I think Milo is great. A massive self-admitted arsehole who has gone on the record of "not liking nice people" and thinks anyone who ever voices any compassion for anyone or any cause is just virtue signaling and trying to get laid. So not someone you would want to have a beer with probably but his writing is sharp and his gay jokes are hilarious so I hope he never stops.

The gamergate thing is unfortunate but hate mobs are awesome for bringing people's abhorrent views out for everyone to see and I don't think it's killed anyone and we can go for days at a time without reading anything about it these days so it's all good.

But being banned from twitter won't bother him, I bet he had a good crank as soon as it happened. He also thinks private concerns may chose to serve or not serve clientele as they see fit (Like with the gay marriage bakery thing) so this is in keeping with that.

I wonder if he will turn on daddy Drumpf if his threatened media crackdowns come to pass. Or maybe Milo is just the kind of guy Drumpf would want running such a purge.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
8. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 19, 2016, 21:08 Numinar

That is 40 more months than that dumpster rapist athlete!

Penalty is probably a good idea as "cybercrime" (urrrg) is rampant but the real crooks with their rootkits and malware and scams never seem to get this treatment unless they hack politicians or the pentagon.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
12. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 18, 2016, 20:55 Numinar

Dagnamit wrote on Jul 18, 2016, 09:02:
Numinar wrote on Jul 18, 2016, 05:01:
I probably would have as it looks and sounds amazing but they listed 3 games that weren't Prison Architect (One of my favorites!) as inspiration on the store page despite using a near-identical style of programmer art. Seems dishonest. User reviews make it sound pretty awesome though.

google search is your friend. don't accuse people of doing stuff without doing, at least, the minimum research. here's the dev of Rimworld in a post from 2013 (geez games take forever to make), the first result of a google search for "rimworld prison architect".

"I drew some inspiration from PA. Moreso from its own inspiration, Dwarf Fortress.

We don't share any tools. Chris at IV has his own tech foundation; I built this one on Unity.

But they do look somewhat similar; that's my fault. I'm not a good enough artist to come up with a really good original look. There are only so many ways to render characters on a tiny grid without using animations.

I hope the differences between the game will be enough for people to look past the aesthetic similarities. And if I get some funding at some point I can get an artist to help develop a more unique look.

I do think the similarities are skin-deep. In gameplay the game resembles DF much more than PA.

How did you know I used to call it Starship Architect? That was back in March... I didn't think I ever mentioned that anywhere. CREEPY :D"

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=23.0

Yeah so that is exactly how I imagined this situation happened. How is any of that information not compatible with my sentiment? In fact it all re-enforces it. What a weird rebuttal, did I wake up in opposite land? Do hats wear people now?

And good on him regardless for making something that is much more than the cash-in-clone the screenshots seem to indicate as game sounds baller and I'll probably get it eventually. Seriously big respect to him and everyone like him that make some of the best games being made these days. But regardless of how much more ambitious it is under the hood it has a style that at first glance looks identical to another builder/manager game.

The fact he called it Starship Architect during early development shows that maybe PA belongs on that store page with the Dorfort/Firefly/Dune. Unless it is so different as to be misleading. Good to know he admits the inspiration on his forums at least.

News Comments > Rimworld Steam Key Fraud Halted
27. Re: Rimworld Steam Key Fraud Halted Jul 18, 2016, 20:30 Numinar

HoSpanky wrote on Jul 18, 2016, 18:06:
Lol @ Cutter's new Signature. I cannot wait to see how many things in NMS get named "[color] Florp".

Actually, this is a cause I can get behind. I had my eye on this game (I can enjoy Elite for hours at a time so I have a high tolerance for repetitive and attractive space games) but maybe I'll turn the retard dial to 11 and actually pre-order before reviews so I can help "Make the Galaxy Florp Again".

News Comments > etc.
18. Re: etc. Jul 18, 2016, 05:18 Numinar

I can see how cultural appropriation could and has been an arrow in the quiver of oppression, but I cannot see it here. But what do I know.

If Blizz had balls and wanted to make the world a better place, a sick Mohammed skin for one of the female characters would have been awesome. The riots and murders would help identify idiots for the security services to spy on.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
12. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jul 18, 2016, 05:11 Numinar

What about the poor bastard that can only climax with a latte in one hand whilst ogling underpaid baristas? What about HIS rights? Jeez.

But yeah, fair enough for them to make that rule. Malware, Spam and censorship are the price you pay for "Free" internet and that's ok but if it really is superstitious yokels eking out the last of their once all encompassing social decency remit then they can get lost. Go deny climate change or print textbooks about the 6000 year old earth or something useful.

7. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 18, 2016, 05:01 Numinar

I probably would have as it looks and sounds amazing but they listed 3 games that weren't Prison Architect (One of my favorites!) as inspiration on the store page despite using a near-identical style of programmer art. Seems dishonest. User reviews make it sound pretty awesome though.  

News Comments > Splinter Cell for Free
1. Re: Splinter Cell for Free Jul 13, 2016, 10:53 Numinar

Oh awesome, it's been a decade or more since I gave this a whirl. Great game.  

News Comments > NECROPOLIS Released
2. Re: NECROPOLIS Released Jul 13, 2016, 02:25 Numinar

Not sure about the execution here but I'll keep an eye on it. I would be all over a first person version of this concept.

I was hoping Hellraid would scratch that itch, but something MP with the structure of Spelunky and Chivalry combat is pretty much my "I've won so much money I can afford the talent to make a game I wan't but doesn't exist yet" game.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
1. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jul 13, 2016, 01:53 Numinar

Don't feed the trolls Apple! Don't be a part of the problem!  

News Comments > Arma 3 Apex Post Redux
4. Re: Arma 3 Apex Post Redux Jul 12, 2016, 18:27 Numinar

Decent release but not as amazing as the trailer looks if anyone is wondering. Some bullshit animations that don't exist in the game in that.

I mean, I pre-ordered as this game has paid for itself dozens of times over, but in case anyone thought it might be a big leap forward and were thinking about buying know that's it's more of the same with a bit of jungle and some canned, polished but simple small team co-op missions.

News Comments > New AMD Crimson Drivers
27. Re: New AMD Crimson Drivers Jul 12, 2016, 18:24 Numinar

390x here, went from 70-90 FPS to 110-120 switching to Vulcan at everything maxed 1400p

Biggest jump since the post-doom release drivers where I went from unplayable schlock to 70-90.

News Comments > DOOM Adds Vulkan Support
16. Re: DOOM Adds Vulkan Support Jul 12, 2016, 00:28 Numinar

I'm going to go with this rarest of rare formatting errors and combine my comments from both as I'm so excited. Maybe this would make for more awesome comments in the future if we combine all the announcements into one thread?

Yeah! Apex! That 9.4 GB update cannot come down fast enough. No seriously it cannot, stupid rural ADSL2.

I checked the new island out in the beta, seems a little on the small size, but has some nice environments. Hoping the co-op campaign is not too broken on release.

Also I cheaped out on GPU and got a 390x at the start of the year so will be happy to finish off Doom with a few extra frames. I have it holding around 90fps because that's the upper limit of my freesynch support, but the monitor goes to 144 so maybe I'll take that off and see how vomitous the screen tearing is.

8. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 11, 2016, 03:12 Numinar

Yeah why the doom hate? It's tastefully informed by all the good things that have happened since Doom 2 whilst keeping it's own sense of purpose. It even solves some of the annoying shit from those early games with the piņata health and ammo system, like furious back-pedalling and quick saving being the main strategies for success.  

550 Comments. 28 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo