Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Vince

Real Name Vince   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Numinar
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2006, 06:24
Total Comments 632 (Apprentice)
User ID 24402

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
25. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 8, 2016, 08:40 Numinar

Don't worry, once election season comes around again I'm sure Drumpf will let everyone have their fake news again. He has realised It's great for getting elected but useless for governing and that is a good thing.

Although who gets to decide what "fake news" is? I can see how it could go bad. How about we go back to calling them baseless, egregious lies?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Assassin's Creed III for Free
10. Re: Assassin's Creed III for Free Dec 7, 2016, 18:00 Numinar

Along with 1,2 and Syndicate this is one of the ones I actually finished.

I know everyone hates it, maybe I'm distant enough from the culture not to get offended by any of it but I got a real Last of the Mohicans vibe from it and no other game has really done that so props to them.

I probably spent the most time in Black Flag, but enjoy pirating more than finishing missions so still not done despite probably 100 hours over two platforms.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
9. Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 6, 2016, 09:00 Numinar

The Half Elf wrote on Dec 6, 2016, 07:27:
NKD wrote on Dec 6, 2016, 07:07:
I used to criticize what kids are watching, but then I went and re-watched some of the cartoons and shit I watched as a kid and boy is it ever garbage.

80's Saturday Morning Cartoons are IMMORTAL!

Some of them were absolute trash. Astroboy and Starblazer still hold up in a weird way, and I encourage my Daughter to watch them. Transformers, he-man, Inspector Gadget, both Voltrons and many others are heartbreakingly bad (Despite awesome concepts and toys).

News Comments > Free Stellaris DLC
1. Re: Free Stellaris DLC Dec 5, 2016, 23:41 Numinar

Thanks Paradox! This turned out to be more Master of Orion than Crusader Kings in Space but that's ok. I hope the mod scene gets some traction and we get stories from there as well.  

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
3. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Dec 4, 2016, 03:35 Numinar

I imagine you would be able to automate such a "compromising tag" feature. I would hope the authorities have such algorithms already for hunting pedos, I wonder if you could build it into the phone without having to upload the photo.

As for this case, carelessness may have invited the breach of trust but is no excuse for it. I don't know why Toyota corporate would be on the hook though other than a naked (hur hur) attempt at a monster payout. I doubt their code of conduct for employees is any looser than most corporations.

News Comments > INSIDE Demo
7. Re: INSIDE Demo Nov 29, 2016, 01:55 Numinar

Yeah, it's better than Limbo and I loved Limbo. Someone mentioned Another World and it's not quite the tearjerker that game was but still very strong.  

News Comments > Call to Arms Launches Free Version
1. Re: Call to Arms Launches Free Version Nov 28, 2016, 21:18 Numinar

Need to check in since the last update. Seemed like a bad MOWAS mod last time I tried and couldn't get into it, and I LOVE MOWAS2.  

News Comments > Chris Taylor Leaves Wargaming
4. Re: Chris Taylor Leaves Wargaming Nov 23, 2016, 04:51 Numinar

Kajetan wrote on Nov 23, 2016, 04:44:
Numinar wrote on Nov 22, 2016, 21:29:
... and nothing beat the slightly different but also awesome Forged Alliance. Nobody else has really come close.
I agree. Stardocks Ashes of Singularity copies faithfully the whole gameplay formula, but did not get it "right". Something is missing from this game and i cant quite put my finger on it.

It has no walkers or wheeled vehicles for one. It is far more "Sins of Solar Empire" on a 2d map than Supcom. Which is ok as they never said it would be otherwise. No walkers, tracked or wheeled vehicles. No awesome WW2 style battleships, or amphibious legged destroyers, or giant spiders, or gloriously animated artillery. I never feel that attached to the maps or their geometry, because nothing really interacts with it. Even Supcom struggled in the switch to 3d to make elevation and terrain factor in quite the same way as TA.

Planetary Annihilation tries to channel some of TA, but the scope hurts my head too much. It's hard enough managing units on a 64k square map with borders to enclose the possibility space, managing them through a mini solar system is beyond me.

News Comments > Chris Taylor Leaves Wargaming
1. Re: Chris Taylor Leaves Wargaming Nov 22, 2016, 21:29 Numinar

Was hoping Chris would bring the Wargaming money hat down on some new TA-style RTS. I think a WW1 variant of TA would be amazing, all my best TA games turned into insane hours-long stalemates full of daring attempts at breakthroughs. Nothing really beats TA, and nothing beat the slightly different but also awesome Forged Alliance. Nobody else has really come close. Hope he has a nice rest and comes back with some insanely stupid idea involving more units and scale than anyone thinks is possible and makes it with a UI that somehow works like he has before.  

News Comments > Civilization VI Fall Update
10. Re: Civilization VI Fall Update Nov 19, 2016, 18:48 Numinar

SpectralMeat wrote on Nov 19, 2016, 07:19:
Numinar wrote on Nov 18, 2016, 21:31:
The game is ready before the narration ends in the largest map size
Oh wow, not for me.
What kind of CPU and video card do you have?
I am running an i5-2500k OC to 4.5 and 970GTX.
Looking at the CPU utilization it is only at 30% load.

From the menu screen to load into game it literally takes a couple of minutes.
It is a pretty late game I am loading in, nearly at the very end of my first play through but still the load time is ridiculously long.

6600k stock and 390x. I'll run a timer on the load next time I play but it seems fine for the first and only load you need to wait for in a session that lasts hours. If you are start-scumming could be a problem but there is no way to know how f'd you are until iron is revealed to be two screens away.

News Comments > Overwatch Free Weekend
4. Re: Overwatch Free Weekend Nov 19, 2016, 08:48 Numinar

Seems great, a much cleaner exciting version of TF2, which I also love. And with the same kind of after-launch support Blizzard is famous for it seems like a great buy. Unfortunately I think I've blown my gaming budget for the next year in the last 4 weeks so I'll wait a bit longer despite sale.

D.VA seems like a good beginner hero, won my first and only 2 MP games with her. Not many abilities or weapon modes to worry about, just shoot/shield/fly/self destruct! The interplay of different character abilities is super fun, like an FPS fighting game combined with heroes of the storm. I can see why this was/is such a big deal. Good stuff. Valve better be careful, if they go F2P and start selling hats for this or make a horde/mann vs machine type mode they are in trouble.

News Comments > Civilization VI Fall Update
2. Re: Civilization VI Fall Update Nov 18, 2016, 21:31 Numinar

I'm not sure if there was a difference in load time. But it's better than Civ 5 (No load before main menu). The game is ready before the narration ends in the largest map size game I just started and there are no load times in the game (Until late game with enemy moves causing issue).

Looks and runs great in DX12 on the 390x, but it was no slouch before. I love the art design in this, zooming in and checking out your little cow farms and wonder cities is awesome.

News Comments > Genital Jousting Early Access
14. Re: Genital Jousting Early Access Nov 18, 2016, 04:47 Numinar

I tried to come up with a good cockblocking joke but it was harder than expected.  

News Comments > Planet Coaster Released
8. Re: Planet Coaster Released Nov 18, 2016, 04:30 Numinar

Had a good feeling about this, as Frontier's RCT 3 was mindblowing, all the complexity and depth of the Chris Sawyer classics but in 3d and running well with a lot of it's own awesome ideas as well. Good to see they have outdone themselves with this one.

I'll get it later, I am snowed under in titles at the moment. I have so many new games I probably couldn't remember them all right now, BF1 and Skyrim SE seem to have their hooks into me so I can probably wait for a price drop, or more likely wait a few more months and then decide I want this at any price regardless.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
24. Re: Zika Virus mosquito Nov 16, 2016, 03:41 Numinar

Creston wrote on Nov 15, 2016, 14:11:
Its days are numbered. There is a trial underway where they're going to release a bunch of genetically modified (male) mosquitoes into the wild. The only thing different about these is that they pass on a gene that makes its offspring sterile.

If proven successful, they'll release more of those, and within several generations that particular brand of mosquito will die off or at least be so diminished that its threat will mostly evaporate.

After that, they'll likely do the same for that little fucker in Africa that spreads Malaria.

That sounds awesome as long as that breed of Mosquito doesn't serve some kind of important ecological purpose we don't know about or interact in an important way with other creatures. Introducing species and diseases to control other species is a big thing here in Australia, and like that episode of Rick and Morty with the kronenburgs, the fixes usually turns out to make things worse in unforeseen ways.

News Comments > etc., etc.
2. Re: etc., etc. Nov 13, 2016, 00:16 Numinar

I thought the new edition moved away from the miniature requirement? I have the starter kit and there is no mention of it. Seems like they realised hey cannot compete with video games on mechanics, tactics or chrome but have attempted to return to what it did best like in the 2e days of my youth, but with much sharper rules and less silly tables. Might keep an eye out and grab the base handbooks.  

News Comments > Ashes of the Singularity: Escalation Released
5. Re: Ashes of the Singularity: Escalation Released Nov 11, 2016, 01:28 Numinar

mag wrote on Nov 10, 2016, 23:47:
Anyone tried this out yet, though?

Ashes in the beta was... underwhelming. But there was an inkling of promise.

It looks and runs marvelously but the units and game-play just don't have the character of TA/Supcom. Hovering is boring, even if it probably does make more sense in an energy rich future. We want walkers/tracked vehicles! And the strategic/resource layout which worked so well for sins feels kind of lame on a terrestrial RTS.

A new sins game would be something. Sins is still amazing as is but a good 64 bit DX12/Vulkan engined sequel would be magnificent.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
1. Re: Evening Consolidation Nov 11, 2016, 01:24 Numinar

Yay Skate 3!

If any series needs another entry or two to reach it's potential it's Skate. Nothing else like it before or since. Wonder what happened to the devs, maybe they aged out of skating?

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
4. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 8, 2016, 03:15 Numinar

Beamer wrote on Nov 7, 2016, 15:10:
But I was never really down for this kind of thing. Did you play Mario Sunshine? It had these parts where it put old style Mario levels into 3D, so you were doing 3D platforming. Couldn't get behind it - it was just so frustrating.

That might have been one of the last non-handheld Nintendo games I purchased way back when, but those platforming sections were my favorite parts! The were so good! I wish it had been more of that and less of the poorly paced adventure puzzling that made up the bulk of the game. Big dissapointment after the genre defining awesomeness of the NES/SNES/N64 Mario games.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
6. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 8, 2016, 03:09 Numinar

Instead of work our smarter and more adventurous fellow humans will have a lot of time and energy to do things that don't have immediate payoff but will drive innovation, like colonising other worlds with Musk or difficult parts of our own world (Under the ocean, Antarctica.)

I think a lot of what happened in the renaissance/industrial revolution was because of an independently wealthy aristocracy with cash and time to burn on having awesome ideas. Maybe most people will drink, gamble, and steal their way over or under the set welfare/universal basic income but it's a numbers game, eventually we will get another Einstein or Newton (Or maybe all the easy stuff is already done and the next big leaps will be AI driven).

632 Comments. 32 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo