Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for PacoTaco

Real Name PacoTaco   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 2, 2006, 09:19
Total Comments 228 (Novice)
User ID 24352

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

News Comments > CCP Layoffs: Dropping VR; Closing Studios
3. Re: CCP Layoffs: Dropping VR; Closing Studios Oct 30, 2017, 17:51 PacoTaco

I don't see CCP turning around the company until they make changes to the Executive staff, they have been making poor decisions for 11+ years wasting all the sub money they were getting from Eve Online.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > LawBreakers All-Star Update
20. Re: LawBreakers All-Star Update Oct 20, 2017, 00:19 PacoTaco

All 5 players jump for joy! WOOO HOOO lets GO! WE GOT IT FINALLY WE GOT IT! Thank you CliffyB  

News Comments > Another Star Citizen: Squadron 42 Delay?
30. Re: Skyrim Creation Club Launches with Survival Mode Oct 16, 2017, 13:53 PacoTaco

Darks wrote on Oct 16, 2017, 11:29:
Blues, in all seriousness, you should really not report anything about this game. Its a burden on the eyes to even see or hear anything about this game, and that's coming from someone who backed this piece of shit.

All I'm saying is that you shouldn't prop this POS game up. Its nothing more then bloat ware and over hyped. Roberts Ego is large enough already.

+1 - Each post about this game should come with a disclaimer -

News Comments > Call of Duty: WWII Live-Action Trailer
4. Re: Call of Duty: WWII Live-Action Trailer Oct 16, 2017, 13:46 PacoTaco

WTF is this shit? God dam waste of money. Isn't it racist to have checkbox for every type of person and check each box? How dumb are people that don't see right through this shit.  

News Comments > Will Lawbreakers Go Free-to-Play?
13. Re: Will Lawbreakers Go Free-to-Play? Oct 14, 2017, 18:37 PacoTaco

I was under the impression that Nexon bought this title because they wanted to use it in net cafes and they had a plan for that.

If you just list the products Law Donkey has to fight through to get player count it is a very hard fight and the game brings nothing to the fight.

The competition isn't just limited to FPS's it is all the games that people are willing to spend time on or even watch.

Right now as of this message one stream has 141 viewers 2 other are live with a total of 12 viewers, nobody cares, it will get a slight pop if it went free but capturing players is a rough road and they missed the window. They needed to design the game to take more risk and do something that nobody else offers. Oh this stream with 132 viewers is a Dreamhack Tournament maybe after it is over the viewer count will even drop lower.

PubG
OverWatch
Battlefield
COD
League of Legends
DOTA2
CS:GO
Rocket League
Fortnight
HeartStone

News Comments > Psychonauts 2 Gameplay Video
7. Re: Psychonauts 2 Gameplay Video Oct 9, 2017, 01:27 PacoTaco

Did you review the art test they had before this? If you compare the two movies did this movie take a step back or forward?

B team putting out a C+ product so far, but I give everyone many chances I hope to see improvement next round.

Jerykk wrote on Oct 8, 2017, 20:13:
Speak for yourself. I've been in game development for years.

I'm not sure why you'd expect final assets for anything within the first year of development. Assets aren't finalized until alpha at the earliest. This isn't even pre-alpha yet. Most of the first year is spent on writing, paper design, gameplay prototyping, concept art, storyboards, level blockouts, etc. In a platformer, finalizing the character's move set and traversal standards needs to happen first, then level designers block out the levels based on said standards, then artists make the levels pretty. Artists shouldn't be making final assets for anything until the first two steps are completed or else they'll have to redo a lot of work.

What I see in the video looks like first-pass art, which is appropriate because it is in fact first-pass art. Making final level art for a platformer before gameplay standards have been finalized would be idiotic. Also, the level takes place in a quarry so yes, there is a lot of grey. I wouldn't be too worried about the rest of the game's color palette.

5. Re: Psychonauts 2 Gameplay Video Oct 8, 2017, 07:01 PacoTaco

I understand game dev better then you do. Trust me, much much much better then you do. :-)

The art test was a previous video you can find it on DF youtube channel. That art test video looked like a hard unpolished B.

This looks like a unpolished C, they had 12 months almost, not one moment in this latest video do you see any element finished. Feels like a step back from the Art test, and the character is still underwhelming compared to other Unreal 4 engine products.

I could break it down more but who cares either it will get better or it wont. Right now it looks worse then I expected with this much time to set the bar.

BTW if you are confused on the importance of a paper design for a level or the use of it, in no way does the paper design stop the art team from producing final assets. The concept art and theme drive asset creation not the paper design of the level. Once the the have theme and concept locked you spend more time to generate all the art element concepts, which can be handed to the modelers.

The paper design is a good start to a grey block of the level but in all my years no level has every been fun or worth playing if it followed the paper design with no grey block.

Anyway I hope they do well to recover from the slow start.

Jerykk wrote on Oct 7, 2017, 22:02:
PacoTaco wrote on Oct 7, 2017, 13:22:
Hard to tell by this video what where the final quality will land.

This work looks C+ including the character, right now the level is very grey but you can tell it has no final lighting, the objects look WIP.

Seems like after almost a year they would have a small section of a full level finished, not just the art test they showed before.

What they showed is going to be the main hub area of the game. It's not just an art test. Also, pre-production takes up the majority of the first year. That's where you finish the paper design and lay out the foundations before committing to full production of assets.

Really wish people had a better understanding of game development. I guess that's why devs are so hesitant to show anything that isn't basically finished.

1. Re: Psychonauts 2 Gameplay Video Oct 7, 2017, 13:22 PacoTaco

Hard to tell by this video what where the final quality will land.

This work looks C+ including the character, right now the level is very grey but you can tell it has no final lighting, the objects look WIP.

Seems like after almost a year they would have a small section of a full level finished, not just the art test they showed before.

News Comments > LawBreakers Free Weekend Underway
2. Re: LawBreakers Free Weekend Underway Sep 28, 2017, 20:36 PacoTaco

Overon wrote on Sep 28, 2017, 20:21:
They are trying you have to give them that.

LoL you mean Nexon wants reverse time and wishes they never partnered with BK, and the utter failure of Law Breakers?

News Comments > Call of Duty: WWII Story Trailer
2. Re: Call of Duty: WWII Story Trailer Sep 18, 2017, 21:34 PacoTaco

Rebirth of a franchise, thanks IW for making SH look so good. 1.1 bil cHAAA CHING.  

News Comments > Morning Interviews
23. Re: Morning Interviews Sep 15, 2017, 17:26 PacoTaco

CliffyB has treated many people poorly for decades and made a lot of money despite his shortcomings as a designer, worker, alcoholic, and leader of men. I have no pity for him or the people who follow him.

Beamer wrote on Sep 14, 2017, 22:45:
PacoTaco wrote on Sep 14, 2017, 20:44:
So they followed him to a situation where they got to work on failed project? Are about to get laid off and beg for the jobs at Epic they will never get back? Hmm. Genius.

I will give you a positive spin on it Nexon bought for it to be used outside the western market. Maybe it is doing better there.

As for the US market it had no chance against Blizzard / OverWatch.

Ended up being a B grade me to product they would have done better to take that juicy Tencent money and make another Unreal product not done by the community. With Cliffy leading it with his troop of loyal designers.

A lot of the people that stayed at Epic were super duper happy his drunken ass left. Still happy even after the failure of Fortnight and Paragon. :-)

Cliffy had a chance to be a great designer but the booze and ego ruined him, he also stopped working. The good news is he got a lot of money from the Tencent buy out so he and the other God of Games cover boys are going to be fine, maybe he can join American banging hot Asian chick sailing around China.

I would wager I know more people at Epic than you, and didn't know any who were happy. Which also makes sense, a large, large bulk of the design team quit that day. Some with him, some elsewhere.

You're also moving goalposts here, about the failure of the product. That wasn't your initial statement, it was that he was a drunk and people hated him. Objectively, that isn't true. Not sure what sources you think you have, likely wholly anonymous. I mean, I suppose I am, too, but I've actually been in that building numerous times. Cliff was well liked. Everyone there was well liked.

20. Re: Morning Interviews Sep 14, 2017, 20:44 PacoTaco

So they followed him to a situation where they got to work on failed project? Are about to get laid off and beg for the jobs at Epic they will never get back? Hmm. Genius.

I will give you a positive spin on it Nexon bought for it to be used outside the western market. Maybe it is doing better there.

As for the US market it had no chance against Blizzard / OverWatch.

Ended up being a B grade me to product they would have done better to take that juicy Tencent money and make another Unreal product not done by the community. With Cliffy leading it with his troop of loyal designers.

A lot of the people that stayed at Epic were super duper happy his drunken ass left. Still happy even after the failure of Fortnight and Paragon. :-)

Cliffy had a chance to be a great designer but the booze and ego ruined him, he also stopped working. The good news is he got a lot of money from the Tencent buy out so he and the other God of Games cover boys are going to be fine, maybe he can join American banging hot Asian chick sailing around China.

16. Re: Morning Interviews Sep 14, 2017, 18:08 PacoTaco

Lovely day in the game industry.

Cliffy needs to start streaming Law Donkey so it will have more then 100 viewers on twitch.tv.

The only question left on this "effort" is who did Cliffy's job for him? Had to be tough on the bastards, had to dodge in between his raging alcoholic decisions while in the fetal position avoiding his cry baby attitude.

Rumor has it that most of the Epic guys had to finish his work for him on Gears and Unreal and do it in a way that didn't make him look bad.

Many of the designers celebrated at Epic the day he left.

News Comments > LawBreakers Roadmap
6. Re: LawBreakers Roadmap Sep 7, 2017, 12:53 PacoTaco

dam shame, what a surprise.  

News Comments > Tim Willits Calls QUAKE Design Dispute "Silly"
24. Re: Tim Willits Calls QUAKE Design Dispute Sep 5, 2017, 18:57 PacoTaco

If you look toward the arcade era several games had dedicated multiplayer modes and dedicated multiplayer maps. These were true 3D maps before Carmack ever got Wolf running on a PC.

Nobody at id software invented dedicated multiplayer maps in the video game industry.

ADD: I found the game I was thinking of, Steel Talons 1991 head to head helicopter game had dedicated head to head mode and maps to go with it. Virtual On Robot vs Robot game was later then I remembered. Cyberball was also head to head.

This comment was edited on Sep 5, 2017, 19:49.

News Comments > American McGee's Alice 3 Pitch
5. Re: American McGee's Alice 3 Pitch Sep 4, 2017, 20:57 PacoTaco

Alice 2 1.2 mil copies sold total over 3 platforms, 70 average review.

If EA wanted to do a follow up to the game they could do it anytime with an internal team and have a better chance at getting a good franchise started out of the effort.

Maybe hire American as a consultant, but he hasn't proven that he can lead a team to success.

News Comments > Star Citizen Gamescom Presentation
29. Re: Star Citizen Gamescom Presentation Aug 27, 2017, 00:54 PacoTaco

I am starting to think that people should stop posting news about this game seems like a crime in progress every time I watch an "update"  

News Comments > Quake Champions Early Access Next Week
10. Re: Quake Champions Early Access Next Week Aug 18, 2017, 05:04 PacoTaco

if you say so man, I predict 2m in sales on the ps4 and 1 mil on XBONE, PC will be 600k. Total failure compared to top FPS products in the genre. Might be a great game but a failure is a failure. They are not moving the genre forward I might give them credit recapturing the fun of Quake3 if I ever get that bored to try it.

ADD++ I just checked the sales of the modern doom and I am right on target for that product. Far from the 17 mil COD BO3 sold, and you know BO3 is still using code from Carmack and the boys. Sad right?

AD+++ I am just going to make this my final comment, I loved id software and love the games they made, so I take no joy from making these comments, I want them to do well and move the genre forward, but after Carmack left I felt it was over for id and haven't seen any evidence in products shipped that have changed my mind.

Re: Quake Champions Early Access Next Week Aug 18, 2017, 05:00 Theo

PacoTaco wrote on Aug 18, 2017, 04:56:
former ranked Quake 3 player, played id products since wolf 3d, halo was a pile of shit for console weenies that didn't know better. id took so long to ship doom3 that people already had better tech on the xbox those products made more money then doom3 did, now doom3 was a good single player game that could make you jump a few times but if you measure what happened with EA and Activision using the Quake 3 engine and what id did with their own code it a fucking joke how far they fell behind so fast when they were in first place they fell down and down. IW kicked ass, EA's MOH wrecked them, EA Bond AUF team wrecked them, all using Carmacks code. id failed to grow into a modern developer, they had very talented developers but no modern development methods, not enough bodies to generate content before the tech became passed by others in the case of Doom3. Trust me I know this all first hand.

does not change the fact that doom2016 and quake champions are both good games.

This comment was edited on Aug 18, 2017, 05:31.

8. Re: Quake Champions Early Access Next Week Aug 18, 2017, 04:56 PacoTaco

Hoop wrote on Aug 18, 2017, 01:27:

PacoTaco wrote on Aug 17, 2017, 23:17:
every press release makes me very sad of what id software has become. Everyone passed them by 2001. 16 years of failure.

Wrong
*Fake news everyone*
Doom 16 singleplayer is a masterpiece.
Now run off & play Halo with the other children.

former ranked Quake 3 player, played id products since wolf 3d, halo was a pile of shit for console weenies that didn't know better. id took so long to ship doom3 that people already had better tech on the xbox those products made more money then doom3 did, now doom3 was a good single player game that could make you jump a few times but if you measure what happened with EA and Activision using the Quake 3 engine and what id did with their own code it a fucking joke how far they fell behind so fast when they were in first place they fell down and down. IW kicked ass, EA's MOH wrecked them, EA Bond AUF team wrecked them, all using Carmacks code. id failed to grow into a modern developer, they had very talented developers but no modern development methods, not enough bodies to generate content before the tech became passed by others in the case of Doom3. Trust me I know this all first hand.

3. Re: Quake Champions Early Access Next Week Aug 17, 2017, 23:17 PacoTaco

every press release makes me very sad of what id software has become. Everyone passed them by 2001. 16 years of failure.  

228 Comments. 12 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo