Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Nameo

Real Name Nameo   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DarkCntry
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 29, 2006, 02:29
Total Comments 768 (Graduate)
User ID 24330

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Patches
2. Re: Evening Patches Oct 21, 2015, 08:08 DarkCntry

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 20, 2015, 21:31:
Welcome to the Star Wars The Old Republic's version of Star Wars Galaxies NGE (New Game Enhancements).

It's bad.
I wouldn't call it that, I would, however, say that they made it that much more single-player focused than it was originally. Being F2P now, I don't really have a problem with this move, since I seriously doubt we'll see another KOTOR game.

One reason I wouldn't call it the SWG NGE is simply because they didn't fundamentally change the core game. In other words, they didn't change the mechanics, nor remove (see: consolidate) classes.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Fallout 4 Live-Action Trailer
12. Re: Fallout 4 Live-Action Trailer Oct 16, 2015, 04:20 DarkCntry

InBlack wrote on Oct 16, 2015, 02:49:
subx wrote on Oct 15, 2015, 20:32:
Taking "not actual game footage" to a new level.

Yeah, if that was "actual game footage" Im the fucking pope. Why the fuck does Bethesda get a pass on this? It shouldn't & this is getting fucking ridiculous, Gamers are it seems the most gullible fucking people on the planet...(next to those Literal Bible idiots)

Probably gets a pass simply because it says "live-action" in the description and doesn't try to pass it off as in-game footage?

News Comments > 9M Played Star Wars Battlefront Beta
60. Re: 9M Played Star Wars Battlefront Beta Oct 13, 2015, 20:18 DarkCntry

MacLeod wrote on Oct 13, 2015, 19:52:
My favorite news about the game that shows their idiocy. They've said that the game will not have in-game voice-chat. They said there's enough third party software if you want to chat with your friends... of course there's a problem with this logic. I can only join the game with ONE friend. The rest of the team is fucking random!

Hrm, I must've had a bug then when I joined an assault game with 3 of my friends.......

In-game VOIP is a great nicety, but honestly, most of us get tired of it anyways when it is overrun by people yelling obscenities every 2 seconds.

42. Re: 9M Played Star Wars Battlefront Beta Oct 13, 2015, 16:38 DarkCntry

Kxmode wrote on Oct 13, 2015, 16:34:
DangerDog wrote on Oct 13, 2015, 16:08:
Actually EA had their refund system in place before Steam. You have to make your request within the first 24 hours of launching the game in the first seven days of the game's release. You could essentially play the game for 20+ hours and then go "nope, don't want it".

Do you know if EA will refund GMG game code purchases via Origin? Steam doesn't.

I think Origin only refunds directly from Origin purchases, as for 3rd party sellers, I think that depends on the 3rd party and/or the CSR at Origin you talk to.

*edit* https://www.origin.com/en-us/great-game-guarantee Looks like you need to purchase from Origin to get the refund.

39. Re: 9M Played Star Wars Battlefront Beta Oct 13, 2015, 16:20 DarkCntry

Everyone complains about the AT-AT on rails...could you all imagine the rage-inducing it would be if it wasn't on rails? It kinda needs to be on rails or else people would hug the hills so neither the Y-Wings, nor the Snow Speeders, could take them down.

There is also a Battlefield analog (even in the oft-loved Desert Combat mod) in the AC-130.

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront Modes and Season Pass Detailed
30. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Modes and Season Pass Detailed Oct 13, 2015, 16:04 DarkCntry

NegaDeath wrote on Oct 13, 2015, 12:08:
Arithon wrote on Oct 13, 2015, 07:13:
There were two stand-alone expansions for BF1942 did not affect multi-play but added single player campaigns and cost 15 each (less than $10). So the grand total for all of it was 55 ($84). Bear in mind the two expansions were additional games, not just a pack of four maps.

The original BattleFront was the "StarWars total conversion" mod for BF1942, but was sued out of existence by LucasArts so they could release their "official" version, developed by Pandemic.

The irony is that this BattleFront, the least like a Battlefield or Battlefront game, is made by DICE - the makers of BattleField.

You might want to check your facts there. Both expansions to 1942 were multiplayer focused expansions. Road to Rome added 6 maps and some new weapons and vehicles. Secret Weapons of Normandy added 8 maps and more weapons and vehicles. At launch R2R cost $20 and SWoN cost $30, neither was $10. You also have to factor in inflation to make a proper dollar comparison. Not to mention development costs back then were a fraction of what they are now.

To further the inflation bit...CPI calculations would show that $40 today would get you ~$30 in 2002. So, going by this trend, $120 would be ~$90, which some rounding, basing off of the total rate of inflation being 33.76% between 2002 and today.

News Comments > Video Game Voice Actors Consider Striking
61. Re: Video Game Voice Actors Consider Striking Sep 24, 2015, 18:39 DarkCntry

Slashman wrote on Sep 24, 2015, 17:53:
deqer wrote on Sep 24, 2015, 12:53:
Those voice audio files are saved and re-used millions of times. Every time that any one plays the game. That's a lot of use for the little $ that the company paid for it.

How is that different or more significant than the guy who built the UI for the game? Shouldn't he be getting those royalties as well?

The difference is not as simple to explain, but I'll give it a shot...

More often than not, VAs are sub-contracted from an outside resource that pays them specifically for sessions, not salary/hourly/etc. Those that work within a company, be it direct sub-contractors (see: freelance, etc) or actual employees are generally give either full commission or living wages.

46. Re: Video Game Voice Actors Consider Striking Sep 23, 2015, 17:29 DarkCntry

Cutter wrote on Sep 23, 2015, 17:17:
I've used the analogy before because it holds true. Just look around you and imagine if you had to pay someone anytime you used something. Sip of coffee? Pay the guy who made the mug, the company that shipped it, the store that bought it, the clerk who stocked it, the cashier who took your money, the people who made the bag it was put in, etc. Now apply that mentality to literally everything else and you see how insane it is. Yet, simply because one judge once ruled that certain kinds of work mean you should get paid repeatedly for only working once is the definition of insanity. And that's not even getting into the bullshit mess of IP, copyright, etc. and that stuff is all beyond fucked up now as well.

And again, there is no such thing as original work anyway. All of it's derivative. When you create a new song you're only moving around things that already exist and were created by other people anyway and the influences of those people directly influence your work. So no, you don't deserve any special protections. There really is nothing new under the sun. It's all connected and is based on what came before it.

Investors do this all the time with people and their products, they love having percentages on every piece of product sold. Hell, watching shows like Shark Tank can educate you on the business of residuals and what-not.

So here's the thing Cutter...if you, say, painted a picture and sold off the rights to print it (or authored a book and sold redistribution rights, whatever), you wouldn't feel like you should get some cut of each unit produced of your work?

If you think these people are getting more than a few cents on the dollar for every unit sold, you really need to understand how that payment setup works.

45. Re: Video Game Voice Actors Consider Striking Sep 23, 2015, 17:25 DarkCntry

As someone who has done voice acting in a lower-key environment and have worked with a couple of the bigger names, the pay is nowhere near a living wage. More often than not, VAs are treated almost like food servers in that they are paid little upfront and work off mostly tips (see: residuals) and do so at alarming numbers of jobs.

Folks like Nolan North or Jennifer Hale are standouts, but I can guarantee you they are not making what I assume people to think amounts to a 6 digit income, most actually work off around $35-40k. Now I know most of you are like "that's still a lot of money", but therein lies a problem, to work in this industry you have to be where the industry needs you (see: California, New York, etc), and I can guarantee you that the cost of living in these areas cannot be supported for that income. Hell, when I lived in the Bay Area making $96k annually I was still barely making ends meet in a 650 sqft condo.

There are many VAs out there that are synonymous with their characters, Nolan North is Nathan Drake, Jennifer Hale is FemShep, and so on and so forth...they pour a lot of their skill and ability into these characters in no less way than a film or music 'star' do in their work, and sometimes they put in more work and effort...

And if there is anyone out there that thinks that VA work is simple and anyone with the basics of theater can do it, I urge you to try it yourself.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
4. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 20, 2015, 15:48 DarkCntry

CJ_Parker wrote on Sep 20, 2015, 15:32:
Shadow of Mordor is still way too expensive, man. WTF are people doing buying it at that shitty sale price? Sub $10 or GTFO.

Yea, how dare people buy a game they want that had relatively few issues, was actually fun to play, and actually didn't have thousands of dollars worth of 'required' DLC...

I mean, why would we want to reward developers for doing shit like that when we could buy more broken games that weren't any fun to play and required us to buy so much DLC that it'd make Train Simulator blush....

News Comments > Amnesia Free on Steam
24. Re: Amnesia Free on Steam Sep 16, 2015, 05:05 DarkCntry

Kxmode wrote on Sep 16, 2015, 01:38:
Does anyone know what happens when you use a trainer? Does this make the game not scary?
In the sense that the game relies on the sanity feature and the concept that you're better off not being seen by the terror...using the CH trainer does make things a lot less scary and a lot easier, I'd suggest only using it for story completion.

News Comments > Sword Coast Legends Headstart Begins
5. Re: Sword Coast Legends Headstart Begins Sep 11, 2015, 23:02 DarkCntry

My experience at PAX was that the game is solid, and should be fun with a group of 4 other friends.  

News Comments > Blood Bowl 2 Beta Begins
2. Re: Blood Bowl 2 Beta Begins Sep 11, 2015, 19:01 DarkCntry

Sprawl wrote on Sep 11, 2015, 16:22:
for those who have pre-purchased the upcoming Warcraft Warhammer sports simulation

...as much as I would love a revisited Blizzard version of Mutant League Hockey or Mutant League Football

Well then...prepare the loving.

www.mutantfootballleague.com

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 13, 2015, 10:27 DarkCntry

Verno wrote on Aug 13, 2015, 09:45:
Can I safely ignore the microtransactions or is it Candy Crush levels of annoyance? I ask because theres a note about IAP before installation.

Transactions are simply for more Lunchboxes, which can be obtained (albeit far slower) via missions. They can, and probably will be, ignored for the most part.

News Comments > GeForce Driver Hotfix
13. Re: GeForce Driver Hotfix Jun 27, 2015, 20:06 DarkCntry

The only issue I have had recently with Nvidia has been the last twwo driver revisions were having hard driver crashes on the 980GTXs...which seem to occur because the fans weren't operating correctly or something, which meant the card heated up faster than the fans were spooling and resulted in a sudden down-voltage of the card to compensate, or something...

Since the Arkham Knight-ready release, I've not had any issues.

News Comments > More Arkham Knight Issues; GMG on Possible Refunds
41. Re: ArcheAge Head Start Issues Jun 25, 2015, 01:35 DarkCntry

Trevellian wrote on Jun 25, 2015, 00:39:
HorrorScope wrote on Jun 24, 2015, 21:11:
DarkCntry wrote on Jun 24, 2015, 21:10:
Ranger55 wrote on Jun 24, 2015, 18:28:
Trevellian wrote on Jun 24, 2015, 18:01:
Game runs perfectly fine for me on a 980GTX and an old i7 3770k.
I feel sorry for the people who are having issues but I've been enjoying every minute of the game.

Same here. Running everything turned up @ 1080p without any issues. 980GTX on an old Phenom II 970 w/ 16GB of RAM running Win7.

My streak of being a golden unicorn that shits rainbows continues, I haven't had an issue one with the game running 1080p/60-ish (ish only cause it runs average 80) for 21 hours. 980GTX, 5930K, and 16GB RAM...

Maybe it's the 16gb of ram???

Actually from what I'm hearing, and if you watch TotalBiscuits Port Report it may have to do with HDD's. It seems some of it may be an issue stemming from mechanical drives not being able to keep up with streaming the city. I dunno about Ranger or DarkCntry but I do have mine installed on an SSD and as I said I get no stuttering and can speed through the city at full speed in the Batmobile no problem.

Installed on a 6TB WD Red, granted for use in NAS boxes, but alas, totally a mechanical drive. Despite having a fairly beefy SSD, I rarely install things other than the OS on it simply due to old habits.

28. Re: ArcheAge Head Start Issues Jun 24, 2015, 21:40 DarkCntry

HorrorScope wrote on Jun 24, 2015, 21:11:
DarkCntry wrote on Jun 24, 2015, 21:10:
I feel sorry for the people who are having issues but I've been enjoying every minute of the game.

Same here. Running everything turned up @ 1080p without any issues. 980GTX on an old Phenom II 970 w/ 16GB of RAM running Win7.

My streak of being a golden unicorn that shits rainbows continues, I haven't had an issue one with the game running 1080p/60-ish (ish only cause it runs average 80) for 21 hours. 980GTX, 5930K, and 16GB RAM...

Maybe it's the 16gb of ram???

I wouldn't expect it to matter that much considering the issues people seemingly have.

25. Re: ArcheAge Head Start Issues Jun 24, 2015, 21:10 DarkCntry

News Comments > Coaster Park Becomes Planet Coaster
3. Re: Coaster Park Becomes Planet Coaster Jun 17, 2015, 05:14 DarkCntry

Slick wrote on Jun 17, 2015, 02:20:
dean hall presenting this was hilarious, he forgot his lines, even though he has like 5, was stuttering and mumbling and looking at his feet.

i lol'd

You mean David Braben...Dean Hall is doing ION and formerly of DayZ fame.

That said, Braben is well-known to not be good talking in front of large groups, he usually sends a lackey to do it.

News Comments > DAYZ Creator Announces ION
21. Re: DAYZ Creator Announces ION Jun 17, 2015, 05:08 DarkCntry

I have to wonder if people realize that Dean Hall hasn't worked on DayZ in quite some time and that it has all been internal at Bohemia. By the sheer amount of vitriol being thrown around it would seem unlikely though.

Hell, I think he left Bohemia before standalone DayZ even went into early access.

768 Comments. 39 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo